PDA

View Full Version : the jim mora firestorm

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 01:00 PM
wow. i just heard an interview he gave yesterday, saying that if the washington huskies job comes open he'll be 1st in line with his resume. he said he doesnt care if the falcons are in the middle of a playoff run, thats the job he wants (even though hes hoping for ty willingham to succeed there) :jawdrop:

geeze, and to think we had it bad with cowher. have you heard this clip atl dan? it almost sounds like hes joking but he is dead serious.

whiz to the falcons???

Big D
12-15-2006, 01:02 PM
wow. i just heard an interview he gave yesterday, saying that if the washington huskies job comes open he'll be 1st in line with his resume. he said he doesnt care if the falcons are in the middle of a playoff run, thats the job he wants (even though hes hoping for ty willingham to succeed there) :jawdrop:

geeze, and to think we had it bad with cowher. have you heard this clip atl dan? it almost sounds like hes joking but he is dead serious.

whiz to the falcons???

I think Mora is a dead man walking anyways. From what i've heard about arthur blank is he is a very demanding owner and hasnt been satisfied with the way more has handled and coached vick

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 01:04 PM
I think Mora is a dead man walking anyways. From what i've heard about arthur blank is he is a very demanding owner and hasnt been satisfied with the way more has handled and coached vickwell if he WASNT a dead man walking you gotta think he is now. maybe he fell off the wagon. i think hes back to sniffing the smelling salts.

MACH1
12-15-2006, 01:09 PM
His dad must of been right about Vick the Coach Killer.

Big D
12-15-2006, 01:14 PM
His dad must of been right about Vick the Coach Killer.

PLAYOFFS???!!!! thats a bunch of didly poo

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-15-2006, 01:15 PM
wow. i just heard an interview he gave yesterday, saying that if the washington huskies job comes open he'll be 1st in line with his resume. he said he doesnt care if the falcons are in the middle of a playoff run,

Jim Mora.....Playoffs!!!???... :rolleyes:

You knew someone was going to say it!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-15-2006, 01:17 PM
PLAYOFFS???!!!! thats a bunch of didly poo

LOL...I had forgot about the didly poo!!!!:sofunny: :sofunny:

Big D
12-15-2006, 01:26 PM
I think jim mora is a very good coach. I agee with daddy mora in regards to vick. I hear in the nfl to be a quarterback you actually have to pass. I think the falcons would be stupid to let matt schaub walk in free agency. I would keep schaub and send vick packing. Curious as in what atlanta dan thinks about all of this

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 02:06 PM
they just re aired his interview with a local seattle radio station again. in his own words he said he was "dead serious". when asked even if he was coming off a superbowl win he said "absolutely".

carl banks commented how if he said this about another nfl team it would be tampering. he essentially threw willingham and the falcons under the bus.

a die hard life long falcon fan called in to sirius and said if mora was on the sidelines sat. night he is done with them. i wonder if this is how most falcon fans feel?

Big D
12-15-2006, 02:14 PM
they just re aired his interview with a local seattle radio station again. in his own words he said he was "dead serious". when asked even if he was coming off a superbowl win he said "absolutely".

carl banks commented how if he said this about another nfl team it would be tampering. he essentially threw willingham and the falcons under the bus.

a die hard life long falcon fan called in to sirius and said if mora was on the sidelines sat. night he is done with them. i wonder if this is how most falcon fans feel?

I know if Bill Cowher came out and made comments like this, I would be outraged. I wouldnt even want to see his mug

Atlanta Dan
12-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Well Mora is saying it is all a big joke, but you wonder what he was thinking when he said this:

In an interview with KJR Radio in Seattle Friday morning with co-hosts Dave Mahler and Hugh Millen, Mora said he would love to coach his alma mater, the University of Washington - even if the Falcons are "in the middle of a playoff run. I'm packing my stuff and coming to Seattle."

It was not serious, both Mora and Millen said afterward.

"He was my college roommate and we were just talking and he threw that out there so it was like, 'okay.' We were clowning around," Mora said, referring to Millen. "It was nothing serious, trust me."

Here is a sample of the interview via transcripts emailed by ESPN:

Interviewer: "If there's an opening, and you're available, we want you to coach the Huskies."

Mora: "Well, I really have a lot of respect for [Washington Coach] Ty [Willingham], and I know he'll do a great job. But if he ever decides to move on, and get in the NFL or you know, go back to Notre Dame or whatever, if that job's open you'll find me at the friggin' head of the line with my resume in my hand ready to take that job."

Interviewer: "If you're available."

Mora: "It doesn't even matter if I'm available."

Interviewer: "So if you just won the Super Bowl, and it's available, you're there?"

Mora: "I'd be there."

Interviewer: "You're there, okay."

Mora: "I'd do it, I promise you that. Now, I want to see Ty succeed, and I want to see that program succeed. But if he decides at some point that he's ready to move on and they want me, I will be there. I don't care if we're in the middle of a playoff run I'm packing my stuff and coming back to Seattle."

Interviewer: "So, are you saying...?"

Mora: "You know, it's funny, and I mean that, and I'm dead serious, the further I get away from it the more I'm drawn to it. You know, that's the job I want, so..."

Interviewer: "You would leave the Falcons for that job?"

Mora: "Absolutely."

Interviewer: "Wow."http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2006/12/15/1215sptmora.html

Maybe Jim, Jr. and his Dad forget these broadcasts are recorded.

I still say the only pro HCs that take college jobs are those that get fired, but for a coach that is on very thin ice if the Falcons miss the playoffs again these "joking" statements are not real bright.

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 04:22 PM
mora has issued the typical "i was just joking statement" and arthur blank issued the "we dont want this to become a distraction to our team" statement which typically means it has ALREADY become a distraction. im taking the cowboys in tomorrows game.

Big D
12-15-2006, 04:26 PM
mora has issued the typical "i was just joking statement" and arthur blank issued the "we dont want this to become a distraction to our team" statement which typically means it has ALREADY become a distraction. im taking the cowboys in tomorrows game.

Which makes me wonder who I should start on my fantasy football team. Eli or Vick

Big D
12-15-2006, 04:31 PM
ATLANTA -- Coach Jim Mora on Friday said his goal is to stay with the Atlanta Falcons "for a long time," and called his Thursday interview with a Seattle radio station, in which he essentially characterized the head coach position at the University of Washington as his dream job, as only a joke.
It was me doing a radio interview with a close friend and former college roommate, and just joking about the [Washington] job," Mora told ESPN.com. "In fact, I say two or three times during the thing that I want Ty [Willingham, current Washington coach] to succeed. I mean, I want to be here in Atlanta forever. This is where I want to raise my family. Our 10-year-old, she's how many years away from college, and she's already trying to decide whether she wants to go to Georgia or Georgia Tech. I guess you've got to watch what you say to anybody anymore. I'm doing an interview with my best friend, joking around, and all of a sudden it's a big story. Believe me, there's nothing to it."

The 15-minute interview, on Seattle-based KJR, was hosted by Dave Mahler and Hugh Millen. The latter was a teammate and roommate of Mora at Washington, and the two have remained close friends. A former NFL quarterback, Millen has visited with Mora in Atlanta and stayed as a guest at his home.

With about two minutes remaining in the interview, Mahler asked Mora to make him a promise: "If it ever works out, if there's an opening and you're available, we want you to catch the Huskies," Mahler said.

Mora's response: "Well, I really have a lot of respect for Ty, and I know he'll do a great job. But if he ever decides to move on, and get in the NFL, or, you know, go back to Notre Dame or whatever ... if that job's open, you'll find me at the friggin' head of the line, with my r?sum? in hand, ready to take that job."

Later in the interview, Mora claims he would take the Washington job even if the Falcons were coming off a Super Bowl victory. At one point, he said: "I don't care if we're in the middle of a playoff run, I'm packing my stuff and coming back to Seattle."

Despite his contention he was not serious, and his reiterations to ESPN.com that he is happy with the Falcons and that there are no indications Willingham is about to be fired, there was no audible hint of jocularity on Mora's part during the interview. About the only time he laughed was when he suggested that, if he ever landed the Washington job, he would have to hire Millen, whom he referred to by his longtime nickname for him, "Dewey," as his quarterbacks coach.

Millen and Mahler seemed to have provided Mora several opportunities during the interview to make light of the session. Each time, Mora dug his hole a bit deeper, even he acknowledged Friday.

"Yeah, I probably should have been a little clearer ... but I just figured everybody knew I was joking," Mora said. "I need to be more careful, I guess, about what I say."

Late in the day, the team issued a news release from Mora. In part, it read: "First and foremost, I'm sorry. ... What I said was not appropriate for my players, the Falcons organization, our fans and Tyrone Willingham. ... I want every fan in Atlanta to know that my heart and passion are right here with the Falcons, and winning our game this weekend."

Certainly, Mora has a strong feel for his alma mater. He was a walk-on defensive back for the Huskies, a standout player and later an assistant coach under Washington legend Don James.

And there is this: Two years ago, when Washington was in the midst of its search for a new coach, some intermediaries at the school spoke to Mora about the job, ESPN.com has learned. There are no indications that Mora, who was coming off his first season in Atlanta, a campaign in which he led the Falcons to the NFC championship game, ever discussed the opening with university officials. But he had in-depth talks with the intermediaries before opting to not pursue the job.

Friday, Washington officials released a statement which said, in part: "The leadership at UW has the greatest confidence that [Willingham] will soon return UW to its place as one of the elite college football programs in Division I football. It is certainly an expectation of ours that there would be a great deal of interest in what we feel like is one of the top head coaching jobs in the country. However, the position is simply not available and we have no expectation that it will be in the forseeable future."

Mora, 45, is in his third season with the Falcons, his first job as an NFL head coach, and has compiled a 27-20 record, to counting playoff games After an 11-5 mark in 2004, his debut season, the Falcons fell to 8-8 in 2005, despite a 6-2 start to the season. Atlanta is 7-6 this year and battling for an NFC wild card spot.

There has been speculation Mora's job security is tenuous, and owner Arthur Blank recently told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that an 8-8 record and a non-playoff year were not acceptable. There have been no signs, however, that Blank is inclined to dismiss Mora, whom he likes. It is more likely that Blank, who sought changes on Mora's coaching staff a year ago but was rebuffed, might mandate changes among the assistants.

Whether a joke or not, Mora's comments in the radio interview likely will not play well with Blank, who has expressed concerns in the past about his coach's temperament and missteps.

On Friday, at least, Blank seemed to buy the story that the interview was misinterpreted and attempted, in a statement released by the team, to get everyone refocused on Saturday night's game against Dallas at the Georgia Dome. Given their time together, however, it's probably a safe bet that Blank and Mora will have further discussions about the remarks.

"Everyone, including Jim, needs to be focused on winning tomorrow's game," Blank said in the statement. "We don't want this event to be a distraction to him, our other coaches, or our players. Jim's passion and commitment to Atlanta have never been a question. He has apologized for inappropriate remarks and he understands the broader implications of what he said and how he said it, none of which were intended. We hope our fans will not interpret this in any way as a lack of commitment on anyone's part at the Falcons."

Big D
12-15-2006, 04:43 PM
this pretty much sums it up. I encourage all to take a look at this http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=210357

Atlanta Dan
12-15-2006, 05:05 PM
this pretty much sums it up. I encourage all to take a look at this http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=210357

Thanks for the link = Whiz is getting a lot of love on that message board today as next year's Falcons coach.

Big D
12-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the link = Whiz is getting a lot of love on that message board today as next year's Falcons coach.

I think if anybody could do something with the coach killer. it would be ken whisenhunt

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-15-2006, 05:16 PM
I think if anybody could do something with the coach killer. it would be ken whisenhunt

M. Vick is the A. Iverson of the NFL

MACH1
12-15-2006, 05:19 PM

Practice? Practice? its just Practice.

Big D
12-15-2006, 05:26 PM

sort of. At least A.I. has been to the finals. Old ron mexico hasnt gotten there yet

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the link = Whiz is getting a lot of love on that message board today as next year's Falcons coach.i bet all whiz would have to do to have mora fired, is tell a. blank he'll ditch that crappy west coast offense and play mike vick like hes randle el at qb all the time.

then he'll tell crumpler "oh, did you know? i used to ba a TE?"

(which makes me think... could you imagine randle el with the falcons? that would be insane)

Big D
12-15-2006, 06:24 PM
i bet all whiz would have to do to have mora fired, is tell a. blank he'll ditch that crappy west coast offense and play mike vick like hes randle el at qb all the time.

then he'll tell crumpler "oh, did you know? i used to ba a TE?"

(which makes me think... could you imagine randle el with the falcons? that would be insane)

I could see it happening. I think the redskins are going to have a florida marlins like fire sale in the offseason.

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 06:33 PM
i dont see it happening, but while the falcons were overpaying for ashley lelie, i dont even think they considered randle el in free agency. it woulda definitely be worh consideration if it were not for a west coast offense.

Big D
12-15-2006, 06:37 PM
i dont see it happening, but while the falcons were overpaying for ashley lelie, i dont even think they considered randle el in free agency. it woulda definitely be worh consideration if it were not for a west coast offense.

If whisenhunt gets the falcons job and randle el gets cut. You still dont see it happening?

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 06:43 PM
If whisenhunt gets the falcons job and randle el gets cut. You still dont see it happening?IF cut and west coast mora werent coach i could definitely see it happening BUT brandon lloyd has been in the teams doghouse and adam archuletta has been a major bust. i see either of them 2 being cut before el who is and always has been a fighter and the consumate pro.

Big D
12-15-2006, 06:46 PM
IF cut and west coast mora werent coach i could definitely see it happening BUT brandon lloyd has been in the teams doghouse and adam archuletta has been a major bust. i see either of them 2 being cut before el who is and always has been a fighter and the consumate pro.

in a wet dream type of world. Randle el would get cut and come back home to the steelers

Hawk Believer
12-15-2006, 06:55 PM
I happened to be listening to the interview when Mora said this. I wondered if it would get picked up by the wire services.

Just goes to show you what people are willing to do to live out here.... :wink02:

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 07:02 PM
I happened to be listening to the interview when Mora said this. I wondered if it would get picked up by the wire services.

Just goes to show you what people are willing to do to live out here.... :wink02:so what did you think when you heard this? were you shocked or did you think he was "just jerkin around with the guys"???

Hawk Believer
12-15-2006, 07:20 PM
so what did you think when you heard this? were you shocked or did you think he was "just jerkin around with the guys"???

He meant it. But to give a little context - The main interview guy "Softy" Mahler is a total Husky supporter and is known for being a very friendly interviewer. He is not a guy to force an uncomfortable issue and ask hardball questions. The other guy was Hugh Millen who was a good Husky QB in the day and bounced around the NFL for a decade or so. He is used by this station as a guy they bring in who has real football knowledge and can provide pretty high level analysis of football games. As you have read in the articles, Millen is an old college roommate of Mora's.

So the context of the interview was very casual. I think Mora was so comfortable he just gave a completely honest answer without thinking about what he was saying. It came out so easily and casually it almost didn't seem like a big deal in the moment but a second later I paused and thought "did he jsut say what I think he did?" That didn't get past the interviewers either and they tried to give him an exit but he just dug the hole deeper.

I think Mora pretty much forgot he wasn't just kicking back and talking with his buds. And maybe he figured an interview with a small station on the opposite corner of the nation wasn't going to draw much attention.:dang:

tony hipchest
12-15-2006, 08:08 PM
He meant it. But to give a little context - The main interview guy "Softy" Mahler is a total Husky supporter and is known for being a very friendly interviewer. He is not a guy to force an uncomfortable issue and ask hardball questions. The other guy was Hugh Millen who was a good Husky QB in the day and bounced around the NFL for a decade or so. He is used by this station as a guy they bring in who has real football knowledge and can provide pretty high level analysis of football games. As you have read in the articles, Millen is an old college roommate of Mora's.

So the context of the interview was very casual. I think Mora was so comfortable he just gave a completely honest answer without thinking about what he was saying. It came out so easily and casually it almost didn't seem like a big deal in the moment but a second later I paused and thought "did he jsut say what I think he did?" That didn't get past the interviewers either and they tried to give him an exit but he just dug the hole deeper.

I think Mora pretty much forgot he wasn't just kicking back and talking with his buds. And maybe he figured an interview with a small station on the opposite corner of the nation wasn't going to draw much attention.:dang: i heard the actual interview. sirius radio replayed it multiple times, and i agree. he meant it. i also agree with jim romes take, that he didnt use this to be an "out" and wouldnt commit career suicide like this. (it was a stupid thing for any coach to say) he pretty much was clownin with buds and screwed up. i think he had no idea it would blow up in the media like it has.

Big D
12-16-2006, 08:54 AM
i heard the actual interview. sirius radio replayed it multiple times, and i agree. he meant it. i also agree with jim romes take, that he didnt use this to be an "out" and wouldnt commit career suicide like this. (it was a stupid thing for any coach to say) he pretty much was clownin with buds and screwed up. i think he had no idea it would blow up in the media like it has.

I think if the falcons werent struggling the way they are this could be completly different. But Little mora has been on the hot seat for awhile now. I think he meant it. I think its like when your wife asks you if she looks fat and you say yes without thinking.

tony hipchest
12-18-2006, 10:54 AM
peter king offers some good insight on the story:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/12/17/week15/index.html

We are putting the cart 10 miles in front of the horse right here, but if I'm Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and San Diego offensive coordinator Cam Cameron right now, I'm polishing the ol' resume. If Mora goes, I think Blank and GM Rich McKay would clean house and start over with the coaching staff. This is a franchise frustrated with the inconsistency of the franchise quarterback. The Falcons want to start over on offense, and they want to give Mike Vick a chance to shine in his prime -- if it's possible.

I feel for Mora because he's a good man, a considerate man. But even if he was joking last Thursday, it's one of the stupidest jokes I've ever heard.

Big D
12-18-2006, 10:59 AM
peter king offers some good insight on the story:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/12/17/week15/index.html

You almost have to wonder if this could turn into a situation similar to what the rams had right after they won the superbowl with vermeil. Where they were about to lose mike martz so they pretty much forced vermeil into retirement. If the rooneys do feel that whizenhunt is the future of the steelers would they force bill out to get there new main man.

Atlanta Dan
12-18-2006, 10:50 PM
You almost have to wonder if this could turn into a situation similar to what the rams had right after they won the superbowl with vermeil. Where they were about to lose mike martz so they pretty much forced vermeil into retirement. If the rooneys do feel that whizenhunt is the future of the steelers would they force bill out to get there new main man.

Ummm - if Whiz gets wind of the comparison to Mike Martz I hope you have access to a good libel lawyer :)

Seriously, the Rooneys may want Cowher to go if his heart is no longer in it, but I believe it will be because Cowher's sun has set rather than any compelling need to keep Whiz, especially since I think any new hire will be a clean break from outside the organization.

tony hipchest
12-18-2006, 11:35 PM
Seriously, the Rooneys may want Cowher to go if his heart is no longer in it, but I believe it will be because Cowher's sun has set rather than any compelling need to keep Whiz, especially since I think any new hire will be a clean break from outside the organization.so if its a clean break, do you want to see wiz and lebeau go with the old regime? i would prefer they stay. (grimm promoted?)

Atlanta Dan
12-18-2006, 11:48 PM
so if its a clean break, do you want to see wiz and lebeau go with the old regime? i would prefer they stay. (grimm promoted?)

I have read LeBeau is talking retirement. Especially if a new HC has a defensive background, hard to see how LeBeau hangs around.

Whiz and Grimm will probably get HC jobs in the future if not this offseason (both of them certainly will not be staying if Cowher leaves), but hiring from within for successors to coaches who leave voluntarily does not have a great track record.

As was stated in the prior post that quoted Peter King, prime outside candidates for the limited number of HC positions that will open up this off season are the Chargers OC and Bears DC. I expect both to get consideration by the Steelers.

Do not minimze the fact that someone who has his name on the Rooney Rule will probably need to pay more than lip service to it.

tony hipchest
12-19-2006, 12:36 AM
I have read LeBeau is talking retirement. Especially if a new HC has a defensive background, hard to see how LeBeau hangs around.

Whiz and Grimm will probably get HC jobs in the future if not this offseason (both of them certainly will not be staying if Cowher leaves), but hiring from within for successors to coaches who leave voluntarily does not have a great track record.

As was stated in the prior post that quoted Peter King, prime outside candidates for the limited number of HC positions that will open up this off season are the Chargers OC and Bears DC. I expect both to get consideration by the Steelers.

Do not minimze the fact that someone who has his name on the Rooney Rule will probably need to pay more than lip service to it.thats unfortunate because lebeau, grimm, and whisenhunt are probably more qualified to be HC's than rivera or cameron. im not sure going after the flavor of the month gets us a SB win any quicker.

sure one could turn out to be coach of the year candidate shawn payton, but he hasnt done nothing yet. for all we know, it could take him 15 years to bring the saints a SB win.

Big D
12-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Ummm - if Whiz gets wind of the comparison to Mike Martz I hope you have access to a good libel lawyer :)

Seriously, the Rooneys may want Cowher to go if his heart is no longer in it, but I believe it will be because Cowher's sun has set rather than any compelling need to keep Whiz, especially since I think any new hire will be a clean break from outside the organization.

i'm not comparing whiz to martz. i'm comparing the situations. What i'm saying is what if the steelers beleive whiz is there future head coach. What do you do? do you choose your past and present or your future

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Well that is the crapshoot - hard to say who will be a good HC. - Belichek did not get it right until the second go round

It just appears that promoting from within creates a different and not usually successful relationship between the players and someone who previously was dealing with them in a different way because he was an assistant but not the big boss. It of course is very unusual to have what the Steelers are facing, since so few coaches do not get fired and when there is a firing all of the assistants hit the bricks as well.

tony hipchest
12-20-2006, 06:19 PM

. what effect do you think the return of these 3 has on cowhers decision? maybe hes built so many coaching staffs, he doesnt want to stick around if he totally has to rebuild another. then again, maybe he dont want to be looking over his shoulder (i doubt this scenario) and is ready for grimm and whiz to move on?

part of his job as HC is to assemble coaching staffs, so he really cant complain if he has to do it again, but then again, i cant blame him if he dont want to at this stage of his steeler career.

Atlanta Dan
12-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Getting the thread back to it's original topic, Mora now has given an interview to the Atlanta paper on his self-destructive behavior.

Based on quotes like these it sounds like it is not the merriest of Christmases around the Mora household these days.

I've never had a parent die or lost a child but this is not a good feeling.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2006/12/20/1221falcons.html

Forget deciding whether or not to fire him; sounds like the Falcons need to put Jim Jr. on suicide watch.