PDA

View Full Version : Game 14 Report Card: Steelers vs. Panthers

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-18-2006, 05:28 AM
Monday, December 18, 2006
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

GERRY DULAC grades the Steelers' effort in the 37-3 win against the Panthers yesterday. The report is broken down into defensive and offensive positions and coaching.

QUARTERBACK
Ben Roethlisberger got off to a slow start with three poor series, but he produced scores on the next five possessions, including a 1-yard touchdown run. Roethlisberger passed for only 140 yards and a touchdown, but he did not throw an interception for the second game in a row and made several big third-down plays.
B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RUNNING BACK
Willie Parker finally ended his road drought with his sixth 100-yard game of the season but his first away from Heinz Field. Parker had 72 of his 132 yards in the first half and scored on a 41-yard run in the third quarter. Najeh Davenport made two nice runs on slip-screen passes, the latter for a 13-yard touchdown that gave the Steelers a 17-0 lead.
A

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECEIVERS
The numbers were modest, and the biggest gain was a 21-yard catch by Hines Ward. Santonio Holmes made a nice play to score what appeared to be an 8-yard touchdown, but even that was overturned on a coach's challenge. Cedrick Wilson played on a limited basis, but he completed a 21-yard pass off a reverse that led to a field goal.
B

OFFENSIVE LINE
After allowing sacks on each of the first two series, the line settled down and played very well. The Steelers rushed for 159 yards on 43 carries and allowed only one more sack the rest of the way. Guards Alan Faneca and Kendall Simmons made nice blocks on Davenport's touchdown. And Faneca pulled and sealed the end to create the hole on Parker's touchdown. RT Max Starks did a good job on Julius Peppers, holding him without a sack.
B+

DEFENSIVE LINE
The Panthers had only 43 yards rushing on 11 carries, and 36 came on the first two plays of the third quarter. DE Brett Keisel had 11/2 of the five sacks and also deflected a pass. DE Aaron Smith had a sack and three tackles.
A

LINEBACKERS
The linebackers accounted for half of the five sacks and held the Panthers to seven first downs through three quarters. ILB James Farrior had one among his team-high eight tackles, and ILB Larry Foote had another when he made a nice play to recover from a block. Clark Haggans teamed with Keisel to get the other.
A

SECONDARY
The Panthers threw for 226 yards and did not complete a pass longer than 19 yards. The biggest accomplishment was holding Steve Smith to five catches for 56 yards. S Anthony Smith made a great one-handed play on his second interception in as many games, but he spoiled the moment by showboating as he ran down the field.
B+

SPECIAL TEAMS
Big plays all around for the most improved unit on the team. Santonio Holmes returned a punt 65 yards for a TD, one play after his muffed punt was negated by a Carolina penalty. James Harrison made a great effort to block a punt with one hand, setting up a TD. And Jeff Reed remained perfect on the road (9 for 9) with three field goals.
A+

COACHING
The Steelers played with urgency and efficiency in all three phases. Special teams coach Kevin Spencer gets credit for going after the punter -- something the Steelers rarely do -- and getting a block to set up a touchdown. And the defense has allowed just 13 points in the past three games and only one offensive touchdown in the past 14 quarters.
A

noto45
12-18-2006, 08:06 AM
why does every post gazette article have to be posted on here....just curious

floodcitygirl
12-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Because some of us really enjoy reading the articles and appreciate those that take the time to post them in one spot. :smile:

RunWillieRun
12-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Because some of us really enjoy reading the articles and appreciate those that take the time to post them in one spot. :smile:

Agreed. It is so convenient to have them all in one place. It has become a tradition for me to read all of the articles posted here Monday morning (just don't tell my boss!). It's even better after a win on Sunday! :tt02:

HometownGal
12-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks for posting this article, LLT! I, too, enjoy reading all of the PPG articles here at SF rather than having to squint to read them in the actual tribunal - LOL! :thumbsup:

I pretty much agree with the author's grades on yesterday's game, with the exception of the receivers' grade of a B. What does it matter what the longest gain was? The bottom line is - they made clutch catches when they needed to and also made a couple of key receptions when Ben threw the ball a little high a few times. All in all, I'd have to give them an A.

As a team, the Steelers looked like the 2005 team that took us on that awesome ride! :tt02: :cheers: If they play against the Rats and Bungles the way they played yesterday against the Panthers, I think it's safe to say they're TOAST!

Infamix
12-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Yeah I definitely like the articles being posted here. It's more convinient and we can all discuss it here, instead of just reading it on PG.

Livinginthe past
12-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks for posting this article, LLT! I, too, enjoy reading all of the PPG articles here at SF rather than having to squint to read them in the actual tribunal - LOL! :thumbsup:

Hey HTG,

Take your freakin' sunshades off - you're back at home now :wink02:

NM

HometownGal
12-18-2006, 10:33 AM
Hey HTG,

Take your freakin' sunshades off - you're back at home now :wink02:

NM

LMAO! :sofunny: Don't you ruin my partay - I'm still pretending I'm in Fajardo! :wink02:

clevestinks
12-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Monday, December 18, 2006
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

GERRY DULAC grades the Steelers' effort in the 37-3 win against the Panthers yesterday. The report is broken down into defensive and offensive positions and coaching.

QUARTERBACK
Ben Roethlisberger got off to a slow start with three poor series, but he produced scores on the next five possessions, including a 1-yard touchdown run. Roethlisberger passed for only 140 yards and a touchdown, but he did not throw an interception for the second game in a row and made several big third-down plays.
B

RUNNING BACK
Willie Parker finally ended his road drought with his sixth 100-yard game of the season but his first away from Heinz Field. Parker had 72 of his 132 yards in the first half and scored on a 41-yard run in the third quarter. Najeh Davenport made two nice runs on slip-screen passes, the latter for a 13-yard touchdown that gave the Steelers a 17-0 lead.
A

RECEIVERS
The numbers were modest, and the biggest gain was a 21-yard catch by Hines Ward. Santonio Holmes made a nice play to score what appeared to be an 8-yard touchdown, but even that was overturned on a coach's challenge. Cedrick Wilson played on a limited basis, but he completed a 21-yard pass off a reverse that led to a field goal.
B

OFFENSIVE LINE
After allowing sacks on each of the first two series, the line settled down and played very well. The Steelers rushed for 159 yards on 43 carries and allowed only one more sack the rest of the way. Guards Alan Faneca and Kendall Simmons made nice blocks on Davenport's touchdown. And Faneca pulled and sealed the end to create the hole on Parker's touchdown. RT Max Starks did a good job on Julius Peppers, holding him without a sack.
B+

DEFENSIVE LINE
The Panthers had only 43 yards rushing on 11 carries, and 36 came on the first two plays of the third quarter. DE Brett Keisel had 11/2 of the five sacks and also deflected a pass. DE Aaron Smith had a sack and three tackles.
A

LINEBACKERS
The linebackers accounted for half of the five sacks and held the Panthers to seven first downs through three quarters. ILB James Farrior had one among his team-high eight tackles, and ILB Larry Foote had another when he made a nice play to recover from a block. Clark Haggans teamed with Keisel to get the other.
A

SECONDARY
The Panthers threw for 226 yards and did not complete a pass longer than 19 yards. The biggest accomplishment was holding Steve Smith to five catches for 56 yards. S Anthony Smith made a great one-handed play on his second interception in as many games, but he spoiled the moment by showboating as he ran down the field.
B+

SPECIAL TEAMS
Big plays all around for the most improved unit on the team. Santonio Holmes returned a punt 65 yards for a TD, one play after his muffed punt was negated by a Carolina penalty. James Harrison made a great effort to block a punt with one hand, setting up a TD. And Jeff Reed remained perfect on the road (9 for 9) with three field goals.
A+

COACHING
The Steelers played with urgency and efficiency in all three phases. Special teams coach Kevin Spencer gets credit for going after the punter -- something the Steelers rarely do -- and getting a block to set up a touchdown. And the defense has allowed just 13 points in the past three games and only one offensive touchdown in the past 14 quarters.
A

I`m happy when my daughters report card looks like that. Anmd when the Steelers report card looks like that.

BozMan
12-18-2006, 01:35 PM
I am not a lawyer or anything, but it may be a violation of copyright laws to reproduce entire articles like this. It would be better to just post an excerpt and then link back to the original source.

ajs8207
12-18-2006, 01:38 PM
I am not a lawyer or anything, but it may be a violation of copyright laws to reproduce entire articles like this. It would be better to just post an excerpt and then link back to the original source.

I dont think so. They always tell us where the article is from, so i think its fine.

klick81
12-18-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm pretty sure that as long as he provides the source, he's okay.