PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brady wants MORE protection???

tony hipchest
12-18-2006, 10:04 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/12/17/week15/2.html

Quote of the Week III
"You breathe on the quarterback these days and it's 15 yards.''
-- Former Green Bay GM Ron Wolf on what he feels is the over-protection of quarterbacks by officials.

:iagree:

Quote of the Week IV
"Standing back there, we can't defend ourselves. You're standing there holding the ball. It's not like you have time to shed blocks or anything. You're standing there, like a mannequin, so I don't think they're protecting us too much. There are plenty of calls this year where I thought they should have thrown more flags, [when] I was probably pretty [ticked] off to the ref about [a flag] he didn't throw.
-- New England QB Tom Brady on what he feels is the under-protection of quarterbacks by officials.

:violin: :crying01: :violin:

someone should remind him he's an nfl qb and not some finely manicured lifesized ken doll who models tuxedos in a macys storefront window.

anyone think brett farve has ever even said the word "mannequin"?

ARKIESTEEL
12-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Tell him to buy a gun:bouncy:

Livinginthe past
12-18-2006, 10:13 AM
I would certainly agree that QB's are receiving too much protection from the officials.

However, im not entirely sure how Brady (a guy with at least average intelligence) should have answered the question.

Maybe he should have said that refs are doing a bad job, that they are over-protecting QB's and see how the next set of officials look after him against Jax?

A better indicator of the state of mind of Brady in this interview would be his previous answer to basically the same question.

Q: We saw a couple of questionable roughing the passer calls last week. Do you like the direction it's gone in terms of protecting the quarterback or has it gone too far?

TB: Do I like them protecting the quarterbacks? [laughter]

The question is basically ludicrous because the interviewer is asking the QB for an answer on a subject that he has a vested interest in.

Thats my take on it, anyway.

NM

hardwork
12-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Of course the proof is in the pudding. How many games has Brady missed? Who has been picked as the toughest player in the league?

I can understand this jealousy surrounding Brady. He's won 3 Super Bowls. He's rich. The ladies love him. There are always going to be small minded people around that are going be jealous. If you're a pimple on a hogs a$$ you're going to look for ways to put Tom Brady down.

MACH1
12-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Of course the proof is in the pudding. How many games has Brady missed? Who has been picked as the toughest player in the league?

I can understand this jealousy surrounding Brady. He's won 3 Super Bowls. He's rich. The ladies love him. There are always going to be small minded people around that are going be jealous. If you're a pimple on a hogs a$$ you're going to look for ways to put Tom Brady down.

Brady by far is not the toughest player in the league!!!!
Lets put Favre at the top of that list, When was the last time he missed a game??????
Then I'd have to say Big Ben with everything he went through on and off the field.
I'd even put Simms before Brady, playing with a ruptured spleen like that.

Brady's just been luck so far that he has not had any big major injury's yet (i.e. concussions, knee surgery) to try and play through.

Atlanta Dan
12-18-2006, 03:25 PM

Well apparently one lady does not love him as much as she used to :)

I do not know if it is a matter of being jealous so much as QBs being perceived as being coddled as the "stars" of the league to the point it is turning rushing the passer into touch football.

Given the mega-investments in QBs and the size/strength/speed of those rushing the QB, almost everyone in the league has an interest in protecting those investments (with the apparent exception of the Falcons, who finally gave up and put Vick in his natural position of tailback the other night for a play). However, the question is at what point that interest needs to be outweighed by the presumably unavoidable fact that football is a collision sport in which all players get smacked arouind from time to time as an unavoidable part of the game.

hardwork
12-18-2006, 03:55 PM
I do not know if it is a matter of being jealous so much as QBs being perceived as being coddled as the "stars" of the league to the point it is turning rushing the passer into touch football.

I'm not talking about the position and whats happened to it. Brady was singled out in this thread. That was the reason for the opening post. With Brady it's jealousy. All you have to do is look at the nonsense in post #5. Everybody knows Brady played last year with an injury that drove McNabb to quit mid season and have surgery.

Brady has been said by many to be one of the toughest players in the league. I know he kicked the Steelers a$$ twice on the way to Super Bowl victories, but get over it Steeler fans. He's just tougher, smarter, and better then anything you have. :)

HW

===========================

Five toughest players in the NFL
By Matt Williamson
Scouts Inc.
Archive

Every player in the NFL considers himself tough, but certain players simply rise above the pack when it comes to toughness. These are the guys who are mentally tough, perform when the game is on the line, can be counted on by coaches and teammates, have stood the test of time and can handle the rigors of the league. These men rarely miss time due to injures and inspire those around them. Which players best fit this description? Who are the NFL's true tough guys?

Number 1: Tom Brady

We all know about Brady's postseason brilliance, but a true testament to his toughness was his performance last season. He probably had the best season of his career, despite losing his starting left tackle and center for almost the entire year. The Patriots also had multiple injuries at running back and wide receiver, and Brady played hurt for much of 2005 as well. He not only orchestrated the offense and called audibles, but helped make the offensive line calls. Brady makes every player on New England's roster better and is a vocal leader. No quarterback in the league is more competitive or fearless in the pocket; Brady will step into throws with total disregard for his body, despite facing a heavy pass rush. Praising Brady can get redundant, but he is truly special and the best (and maybe the toughest) player in the league.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/preview06/insider/columns/story?columnist=williamson_matt&id=2562374&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fpreview06%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumni st%3dwilliamson_matt%26id%3d2562374

fansince'76
12-18-2006, 03:57 PM
A QB that doesn't want to get clocked by 300+ lb defensive linemen? Say it ain't so....

Black@Gold Forever32
12-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Hey Hardwork Mr. Tough Guy Tom Brady didn't finish the 2001 AFC title game. He was knocked out of the game and Drew Bledsoe came in. So Brady didn't kick the Steelers ass in that game. As for the other game he did tear the Steelers a new *******. But you know what I have said many times that Tom Brady is a great QB but **** Tom Brady.

hardwork
12-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Tom Brady is a great QB but **** Tom Brady.

I can live with that.

Atlanta Dan
12-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Hardwork - as a regular customer here, I believe you will note I usually respect the Patriots in general and Tom Brady in particular (as opposed to the QB with the horseshoe on his helmet who has never won anything). My prior comment was not a diss of Brady.

Instead, it had to do with the fact that if the league wants to place protecting the QB above all other factors it can do so, but it will fundamentally change the game in general and some year soon affect a Super Bowl outcome in particular because a tackle will not be made due to the player being afraid of getting flagged or a bulls**t flag will be thrown because a ref does not want the league office to get after him for not protecting the only position in the league (other than HCs) where white folk still predominate.

And if anyone thinks I am claiming race has something to do with why the NFL is manic about protecting QBs they are absolutely correct. This league is all about marketing and (in addition to sidebar issues to protect the league's image such as fining Porter more for not being PC than the fine imposed on the player who took the cheap shot that prompted Porter's comment) the league wants to protect its marketing ability. To do that it needs to have players with which the customer base is perceived to more readily identify - LT may be the best offensive back in the league, but we all know who is doing ads for Sprint, DirecTV, and Mastercard (as opposed to Visa, which your QB has).

Not that it should matter, but since I am white I do not think that point should be attributed to jealousy.

NM

tony hipchest
12-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Everybody knows Brady played last year with an injury that drove McNabb to quit mid season and have surgery.
]lemme guess, he won the sb with a roofing nail impaled in his brain too? :rolleyes: everybody knows that this is all myth and lore drummed up by his publisists to score him bigger endorsement deals.

HometownGal
12-18-2006, 06:49 PM

Steve McNair hasn't won any SBs (yet) but I regard him as the toughest player in the NFL right now. That guy is like a cat with 9 lives. He's been battered up one side and down the other but he still can put the fear of God into an opposing defense and is still quite mobile for an almost 34 year old man.

I agree with BNGF32 - Brady is a great QB. He's one of the NFL's top 10 class acts, imho. I do have a question, though - why has he been listed on the injury report as "probable with a shoulder injury" for the last two seasons? One would think he would have had that shoulder repaired by now.

hardwork
12-18-2006, 09:06 PM
I do have a question, though - why has he been listed on the injury report as "probable with a shoulder injury" for the last two seasons? One would think he would have had that shoulder repaired by now.

Well, you see now? That's how tough he is. <wink>

hardwork
12-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Hardwork - as a regular customer here, I believe you will note I usually respect the Patriots in general and Tom Brady in particular (as opposed to the QB with the horseshoe on his helmet who has never won anything). My prior comment was not a diss of Brady.

Instead, it had to do with the fact that if the league wants to place protecting the QB above all other factors it can do so, but it will fundamentally change the game in general and some year soon affect a Super Bowl outcome in particular because a tackle will not be made due to the player being afraid of getting flagged or a bulls**t flag will be thrown because a ref does not want the league office to get after him for not protecting the only position in the league (other than HCs) where white folk still predominate.

NM

I know you weren't dissing Brady.

I agree that the refs are conflicted by many of the newer trends in the rules. They no longer know what's part of football, and what isn't. Hell, they don't even know what a catch is as opposed to a dropped ball, or a simple fumble.

As for black players hitting white superstars, we know all about it. Rodney Harrison can't take a breath within 5 yards of a QB without getting a penalty and fined. Of course, to be honest, Rodney doesn't always have the good health of his opponent uppermost in his mind.