PDA

View Full Version : What's With the Gloom and Doom 'Tudes Around Here?

HometownGal
12-18-2006, 01:21 PM
OK folks - so we haven't torn up the creme de la creme of the NFL over the past 3 weeks, but c'mon - the important thing to remember here is that our Steelers appear to be back to playing at the level we all knew they were quite capable of and are WINNING games again! :thumbsup: Whether or not that miracle of them getting into the playoffs will occur or not, this team has started turning itself around and has played some darned good football - consistently - in those 3 wins. We stumbled and fell in the game against the Rats, most definitely, but we did win convincingly over the Saints, another viable playoff contender. While I would love to see the Steelers defy the odds and slide into the playoffs this season, if they don't, it's not the end of the world. God knows this franchise and so many of our players (and our coaching staff) have given us plenty to cheer about over the past decade +. We're darned privileged to be able to call ourselves fans of such a classy and successful organization. :tt02:

My point here is this. I've noticed some posts around here in the past several weeks which would make the grim reaper proud. Please don't be killjoys - let us enjoy this streak our Steelers are currently on and accentuate the positives in these victories instead of nitpicking at the negatives. Our guys need us right now to be behind them 100%, no matter how this season turns out. :tt02:

Big D
12-18-2006, 01:27 PM
great post hometown. We have won five out of our past six games now. I think we have the momentum to win out against the ratbirds as well as the bungals. The ravens game was a fluke I think. I believe we will destroy both the ravens and bengals!

sumo
12-18-2006, 01:31 PM
No kidding - the end of the season will still be great football...I think we have a really good chance of winning out -- even if we don't make it to the playoffs - we can still watch Manning go through his annual playoff choke job - a few more Benglas go to jail, TO drop some more key passes ... you know stuff we all take great pleasure in seeing -- if we don't make it - it will be tough for me not to route for the Chargers ...

Indy_Steelers
12-18-2006, 01:36 PM
I agree. I feel sorry for them because they have missed some good football in the second half of the season. My club here in Indy the attendance is 1/3 of what it has been but all of us still comming are having a blast and now we know the core of the Steeler Nation in Indy.

Big D
12-18-2006, 01:39 PM
and it always could be worse. We could have had 8 players arrested this year.

klick81
12-18-2006, 01:39 PM
I agree...no use in yelling "WE'RE NOT MAKING INTO THE PLAYOFFS!" every time someone expresses some hope.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey I was running around my house acting like a 4 year old when the Steelers were kicking the snot out of the Panthers yesterday. I was so pumped up with the way the Steelers played I lost my mind. Then there was my brother like a big lump on the couch and acting like the Steelers were down by 3 TD's.

My point some fans are always positive like you are Hometown. Then there is fans like me who takes football way to serious and my mood is effected if the Steelers win or lose. Then there is fans like my brother who are always negative and think the worse.

RunWillieRun
12-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Heck, even if we don't make the playoffs, we can at least do our part to spoil a bungals playoff run (GO INDY AND DENVER!...sure feels weird typing that). It would be great for us finish above .500 considering our less than respectable 2-6 start.

Borski
12-18-2006, 01:58 PM
We're 84 - 13 in the last three games, thats pretty good in my opinion.

HometownGal
12-18-2006, 02:06 PM
My point some fans are always positive like you are Hometown. Then there is fans like me who takes football way to serious and my mood is effected if the Steelers win or lose. Then there is fans like my brother who are always negative and think the worse.

I guess I'm just the type of person who focuses on the positives in every situation, whether life in general or in sports. Negativity tends to drag people down and kill that "emotional momentum", and besides - you can't change the negatives so why harp on them? I had an ex-hubby like your brother, Dan. If I could have listed "boo bird fair-weathered fan" at the head of the divorce petition, I sure as heck would have - LOL! :smile:

BigDuke6
12-18-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm not a cheerleader, I'm a football fan. I love my Steelers but I reserve the right to be critical where criticism merits. As this is a cheerleader string, I'll grab the bus outta here.
All the best.

Mosca
12-18-2006, 02:26 PM
That performance yesterday was good enough to beat any team in the NFL. As far as making it the rest of the way to the playoffs, it's out of our hands. I'm going to watch the game either way, and I like seeing us win.

Tom

Big D
12-18-2006, 02:30 PM
That performance yesterday was good enough to beat any team in the NFL. As far as making it the rest of the way to the playoffs, it's out of our hands. I'm going to watch the game either way, and I like seeing us win.

Tom

I believe this is the best team in the nfl when the team wants to be. This isnt the first impressive win we have the best team in the nfl. Call me a homer if you want

fansince'76
12-18-2006, 02:33 PM
I believe this is the best team in the nfl when the team wants to be. This isnt the first impressive win we have the best team in the nfl. Call me a homer if you want

I feel the same way - this is the best team in the league, with the key words you mentioned "when it WANTS to be." Last postseason is proof of that.

Big D
12-18-2006, 02:36 PM
I feel the same way - this is the best team in the league, with the key words you mentioned "when it WANTS to be." Last postseason is proof of that.

and so was yesterdays game. As well as the saints and chiefs game as well.

MJ5150
12-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Alright, sorry. I'm totally excited about the recent wins and great play. Seriously.

When I go out to places like the mall, I always wear some Steeler gear to represent, and it helps me find other fans. Today, I have on my James Farrior jersey that nicely compliments my Steeler beanie. I will be wearing both when I head to the mall to visit a nice lady I met earlier this season who is a passionate Panthers fan from NC originally. She works in a tall womens clothing store my wife shops at a lot.

She has been giving me a hard time about the upcoming Panther game all season each time I came in with my wife. Very nice lady, and she really knows the game of football. I came in one time wearing my Jason Gildon jersey, and she knew who he was! We can respectfully talk about our teams, which is nice. I get really tired of the "your team sucks" people I normally see.

It is going to feel REAL good to walk into the store later on. I know she is waiting for me.

-Mike

MACH1
12-18-2006, 04:35 PM
They made me a happy guy yesterday. Its better to go out with a bang, the next two games we can make some big noise, maybe knock one team out and lower the seeding of the other. So far were one out of three, so lets keep it goin and see what happens.

sumo
12-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey I was running around my house acting like a 4 year old when the Steelers were kicking the snot out of the Panthers yesterday. I was so pumped up with the way the Steelers played I lost my mind. Then there was my brother like a big lump on the couch and acting like the Steelers were down by 3 TD's.

I know what you mean - I used to let the performance of the Steelers and my other favorite professional sports teams dictate my moods - I was in deep depression after the ODonnell Bowl -I lost it too when the Suns went down in 6 to the Bulls in the NBA Finals - Now I take a more rational approach - it's tough, but it makes it a lot more enjoyable - for instance -- I enjoy it when we play a rival and it's a competitive game - because it's more entertaining - sure I'm happier when our boys win, but I don't have total despair when they lose - I take interest in discussing what went wrong - what were the positives - what will happen if they make this or that adjustment, etc -that's why I love visiting this site ... also I'm getting too freakin old - I don't want to end up like the dude who had the heart attack over Bettis' fumble in the Indy game....

stillers4me
12-18-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm enjoying watching STEELER FOOTBALL again!! It may very well be too little too late, but as has been pointed out, there's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't enjoy spoiling the Bungles season while we're down! Don't let them forget THAT WE ARE STILL THE CHAMPS!! And guys, do us all a big favor next year. DO NOT make your loyal fans have to cheer for the likes of Peyton Manning and the Ratbirds next year, 'kay??

HometownGal
12-18-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm not a cheerleader, I'm a football fan. I love my Steelers but I reserve the right to be critical where criticism merits. As this is a cheerleader string, I'll grab the bus outta here.
All the best.

Geez, Duke - no one said that you can't express your opinion. Good debate is healthy if it is done constructively instead of destructively. All I simply am saying is that after a win like yesterday, no matter who the opponent is (or in the past - was) - focus on the positives of the game (and yesterday there were many) and let those of us who believe in them enjoy the thrill of victory instead of being a party pooper! :wink02:

iloveben7
12-18-2006, 06:35 PM
OK folks - so we haven't torn up the creme de la creme of the NFL over the past 3 weeks, but c'mon - the important thing to remember here is that our Steelers appear to be back to playing at the level we all knew they were quite capable of and are WINNING games again! :thumbsup: Whether or not that miracle of them getting into the playoffs will occur or not, this team has started turning itself around and has played some darned good football - consistently - in those 3 wins. We stumbled and fell in the game against the Rats, most definitely, but we did win convincingly over the Saints, another viable playoff contender. While I would love to see the Steelers defy the odds and slide into the playoffs this season, if they don't, it's not the end of the world. God knows this franchise and so many of our players (and our coaching staff) have given us plenty to cheer about over the past decade +. We're darned privileged to be able to call ourselves fans of such a classy and successful organization. :tt02:

My point here is this. I've noticed some posts around here in the past several weeks which would make the grim reaper proud. Please don't be killjoys - let us enjoy this streak our Steelers are currently on and accentuate the positives in these victories instead of nitpicking at the negatives. Our guys need us right now to be behind them 100%, no matter how this season turns out. :tt02:
Great post!! It just seems like everybody gave up on the Steelers when they lost the Ravens or even before that, but I didn't and I never will. You can't give up on your team and expect them to win without the best fans in the national football league rooting for them. The Steelers play with heart and don't give up, so us fans should cheer with heart and stop giving up when one person does something every so slightly wrong.

stillers4me
12-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Yesterday, while enjoying the game at a Cincinnati Steeler bar, Flood and I had the pleasure of talking to a reporter that was doing a story on Steeler fans in Cinci. He was amazed at all of us cheering loudly and exuberantly every time our Steelers made a big play. Every time they scored, the entire bar started cheering "Here We Go Steelers , Here We Go!!" Even though we many not make the playoffs, he was blown away by the way we were cheering as if it WAS a playoff game. I told him that's just the way Steeler fans are......win or lose, it's STEELER FOOTBALL! You see in Cinci, if the Bengals are out of the race, nobody cares anymore. But now they are in again, so out come the bandwagon fans. If they lose (errr.....I mean when they lose) tonight.......they won't call themselves fans anymore.

The moral of the story is......Don't bungle out on the Steelers!!!

iloveben7
12-18-2006, 06:39 PM

I was jumping and screaming yesterday too!! I lost part of my voice but hey who cares it's the Pittsburgh Steelers!! Your brother sounds like my dad. I went to my 1st Steeler game on their season opener and my dad sat there like a lump on a log at the game and he also gives up on them if they are down by 1 point.

83-Steelers-43
12-18-2006, 06:41 PM
All the best.

BigDuke, don't lie. You were at XL. BTW, good post. :wink02:

http://www.diehardsteel.com/files/images/super6_RobertCaplin.jpg

stillers4me
12-18-2006, 06:42 PM
BigDuke, don't lie. You were at XL. :wink02:

http://www.diehardsteel.com/files/images/super6_RobertCaplin.jpg By the way, nice post.

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

SteelCzar76
12-18-2006, 06:44 PM
BigDuke, don't lie. You were at XL. :wink02:

http://www.diehardsteel.com/files/images/super6_RobertCaplin.jpg By the way, nice post.

LMFAO:sofunny: :sofunny:

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

sumo
12-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Who signed this dude's belly? -

83-Steelers-43
12-18-2006, 06:48 PM

My guess? The last person he digested.

HometownGal
12-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Great post!! It just seems like everybody gave up on the Steelers when they lost the Ravens or even before that, but I didn't and I never will. You can't give up on your team and expect them to win without the best fans in the national football league rooting for them. The Steelers play with heart and don't give up, so us fans should cheer with heart and stop giving up when one person does something every so slightly wrong.

What an excellent post - right on da money! :thumbsup: :cheers:

stillers - you're a bad, bad girl. :wink02:

MJ5150
12-18-2006, 06:49 PM
It just seems like everybody gave up on the Steelers when they lost the Ravens or even before that......

Hold on. People aren't giving up. Some of us just realized early on that a SB run was not a possibility this season.

-Mike

HometownGal
12-18-2006, 06:50 PM

Jabba the Hut. :smile:

iloveben7
12-18-2006, 07:10 PM
What an excellent post - right on da money! :thumbsup: :cheers:

stillers - you're a bad, bad girl. :wink02:
Thanks!!:tt02:

Stlrs4Life
12-18-2006, 07:11 PM
God post HTG. I don't think it's all just plain negative, I think people are just shocked and bummed oout. We all know we have a better team than we had at 2-6.

iloveben7
12-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Hold on. People aren't giving up. Some of us just realized early on that a SB run was not a possibility this season.

-Mike
A lot of my family and friends at school gave up on them in the first few weeks of the season. They stopped watching the games and everything!!

HometownGal
12-18-2006, 07:31 PM
God post HTG. I don't think it's all just plain negative, I think people are just shocked and bummed oout. We all know we have a better team than we had at 2-6.

I understand that, Dom, and I think all of us Steelers fans were bummed out during the first half of the season, as everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong, but the team appears to have gotten past that nightmarish start and is playing rough 'n tumble Steelers football again, but yet, even after the very convincing rout of the Panthers yesterday, the boo birds are still chirping. Whether our guys make it to the playoffs or not - you gotta appreciate that win yesterday and the way this team has played since their victory over the Saints (the Ravens game being the big exception). The Steelers played almost flawless football against the Panthers - I can't see what there is to B & M about. We're headed into the last two games of the season and we're still mathematically in, even with the poor performance during half #1 - I for one am darned proud of these guys for not giving up even though they surely realize it's gonna take a miracle for them to get into the playoffs.

touchdownward
12-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Even if we don't make the playoffs, I would love nothing more than to knock the Bengals out of it the last game of the regular season.
Would love to end their season two years in a row. :bite:

stillers4me
12-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Even if we don't make the playoffs, I would love nothing more than to knock the Bengals out of it the last game of the regular season.
Would love to end their season two years in a row. :bite:

A-ben!! :tt02:

stillers4me
12-18-2006, 07:54 PM
It looks like some ears are perking up in the media.......of course, we knew the Steelers were better than their record all along.

” Yes, the Steelers are a team no one in the AFC wants to face in the first round of the playoffs.” – The Herald Standard (Charlotte)

“With five victories in six games, the Steelers (7-7) have the look of a team that could be very dangerous in the postseason. Their defense is playing at a championship-like level with one touchdown allowed in three games. Their running game is peaking with Willie Parker gaining 355 yards in his last two games.” – Associated Press

“It may be too late, but the Pittsburgh Steelers are finally playing like last season's Super Bowl team.” – NFL.com

“First Pittsburgh's fans took over Carolina's stadium. Then the Steelers manhandled the Panthers to all but end their playoff hopes.” – WLTX.com (Columbia, SC)

'We allowed a team to come in here that's playing for nothing and ruin our season for us” – Keyshawn Johnson

“The playoff picture in the AFC is simply mind-boggling. The Steelers are still in it, even though they rank 12th out of 16 AFC teams in the standings.” - WPXI

MJ5150
12-18-2006, 11:45 PM
A lot of my family and friends at school gave up on them in the first few weeks of the season. They stopped watching the games and everything!!

Yikes. That's crazy.

-Mike

ThatGuy246
12-18-2006, 11:54 PM
Whether our guys make it to the playoffs or not - you gotta appreciate that win yesterday and the way this team has played since their victory over the Saints (the Ravens game being the big exception). The Steelers played almost flawless football against the Panthers - I can't see what there is to B & M about. We're headed into the last two games of the season and we're still mathematically in, even with the poor performance during half #1 - I for one am darned proud of these guys for not giving up even though they surely realize it's gonna take a miracle for them to get into the playoffs.

Incredibly well said! We may not make it into Jan., but even if we don't, there's a lot to be hopeful about. The Stillers realized that they can't expect to walk over others by virtue of their most recent Lombardi, and a lot of guys have really stepped up. Even in the worst case scenario, if we miss the playoffs, we've got a lot of reasons to be optimistic about 2007... Regardless, here's to just rubbing it in and collecting as many rings as we can...

-DJ

james203
12-19-2006, 12:10 AM
thats sad about your friends.you should still support your team....no matter what !!.your friends are NOT 100% genuine steelers fans.steelers are still in the wildcard hunt thanks to the bengals loss tonite & this sun is gonna be exciting.the bengals,jags & jets are facing tough teams this sun.so is the steelers but i have a feeling the outcome will be diff this time.

Preacher
12-19-2006, 01:29 AM
Different people deal with disappointment in different ways. I understand we haven't been winning against the perennial playoff teams (wait, WE ARE ONE OF THOSE TEAMS).

However, we LOST to Oakland, because of our mistakes. Funny thing, we lost to Denver, Cincy, Jags, etc., because of THOSE SAME MISTAKES.

Funny thing is, now that we have fixed those mistakes, we could beat ANY OF THOSE TEAMS.

HometownGal
12-19-2006, 07:33 AM
Funny thing is, now that we have fixed those mistakes, we could beat ANY OF THOSE TEAMS.

You betcha Father! :banana:

iloveben7
12-19-2006, 06:25 PM
thats sad about your friends.you should still support your team....no matter what !!.your friends are NOT 100% genuine steelers fans.steelers are still in the wildcard hunt thanks to the bengals loss tonite & this sun is gonna be exciting.the bengals,jags & jets are facing tough teams this sun.so is the steelers but i have a feeling the outcome will be diff this time.
Yeah it is pretty sad!! They did the same thing last year when the Steelers were 7-5. I said at the beginning of the season that they were going to win the Superbowl and I never gave up on my word. When the Steelers were going into the playoffs with the Bengals, my dad asked me if he should try and get Superbowl tickets because he's a season ticket holder and I said yes, but he said no they aren't good enough this year. When the Steelers beat Indianapolis, everyone around me started saying the Steelers are gonna win the Superbowl, but what made me so mad was that they took credit for saying it, but they didn't say it until the last 2 games of the season.