PDA

View Full Version : Road to the playoffs

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-19-2006, 05:32 AM
By The Tribune-Review
Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Steelers need to win their final two games and receive a lot of help from other teams to make the playoffs.
The postseason picture is still muddled, and teams' strength of victory could become a factor. Strength of victory is computed by counting beaten opponents' wins and dividing that number by the total games those opponents have played.

If the Steelers and Bengals each finish 9-7, the Steelers will be eliminated because the Bengals would win the tiebreaker based on a better conference record. When three or more teams are tied for playoff spots, tiebreakers are first applied within divisions.

Here's a closer look at AFC playoff scenarios:

Team.... Overall..AFC.. Remaining games
Broncos....8-6... 7-4 ....vs. Bengals (8-6), vs. 49ers (6-8)
Bengals....8-6 ...6-4 ....at Broncos (8-6), vs. Steelers (7-7)
Jaguars ...8-6 ...5-5 ....vs. Patriots (10-4), at Chiefs (7-7)
Jets ........8-6 ...5-5 .....at Dolphins (6-8), vs. Raiders (2-12)
Bills ........7-7 ...5-5 .....vs. Titans (7-7), at Ravens (11-3)
Steelers...7-7 ...4-6 .....vs. Ravens (11-3), at Bengals (8-6)
Titans......7-7 ...4-6 .....at Bills (7-7), vs. Patriots (10-4)
Chiefs.....7-7 ....3-7 .....at Raiders (2-12), vs. Bengals (8-6)

What needs to happen for the Steelers to reach the playoffs:

? The Broncos beat the Bengals

? The Jaguars lose their final two games

? The Jets, Titans and Bills lose at least one of their final two games.

How the Steelers would reach the playoffs:

? The Broncos claim the first wild-card spot with a 10-6 record or by winning the No. 2 tiebreaker.

? The Steelers finish in a tie at 9-7 with the Jets and likely the Chiefs. The Chiefs are eliminated by the No. 2 tiebreaker. The Steelers then beat the Jets in the No. 3 tiebreaker.

How the Steelers would be eliminated even if they win their final two games:

? The Jaguars win either of their final two games.

? The Jets win both of their remaining games.

Steel Pit
12-19-2006, 06:14 AM
I believe that the Jets need to lose BOTH of their remaining games in order for the Steelers to make the playoffs. If the Jets only lose one of their remaining 2 games then they win the 1st tie breaker against the Steelers, a better conference record.

It's too damn confusing at this point. I read one scenario that indicated that the Steelers would benifit from a Bengals victory against the Broncos. ????? There's too many varieties at this point but I do know with certainty that the Jaguars MUST lose out in order for the Steelers to make the playoffs. Things will become clearer after the week 16 games are completed. :argue:

HometownGal
12-19-2006, 07:58 AM
The Jags have been on a tailspin lately and they have to play the Pats and Chiefs (who are also vying for a playoff spot) - they have a tough road ahead in these last 2 matchups. It is confusing right now with all of the possibilities, but the one thing that is certain - the Steelers MUST beat both the Rats and Bungles to have a legitimate shot at getting there. They need to concentrate on what they are doing and not worry about where the chips fall. Even in the event that the Steelers don't make it, it would be great to close out the season playing spoiler to the Bungles! :tt02: :thumbsup:

Infamix
12-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Yes it would be amazing for the Bungles to go back into the hole they came from.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-19-2006, 10:12 AM
What sucks Steelers fans have to root for Tom Brady and the Pats this week. That was as bad as rooting for Peyton Manning and the Colts last night. I think I'm going to puke.

Livinginthe past
12-19-2006, 10:21 AM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/n_mckeown/brady.jpg

Not a bad guy to have to rely on, eh? :wink02:

Big Steel
12-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Take care of our own business and if it works out it works out, if not then we'll come back with a vengence next year. I'll be damned if I'd root for anyone else.

ajs8207
12-19-2006, 10:46 AM
I believe that the Jets need to lose BOTH of their remaining games in order for the Steelers to make the playoffs. If the Jets only lose one of their remaining 2 games then they win the 1st tie breaker against the Steelers, a better conference record.

It's too damn confusing at this point. I read one scenario that indicated that the Steelers would benifit from a Bengals victory against the Broncos. ????? There's too many varieties at this point but I do know with certainty that the Jaguars MUST lose out in order for the Steelers to make the playoffs. Things will become clearer after the week 16 games are completed. :argue:

The Jets only need to lose one game. If the Jets lose one game, their conference record will be 6-6, the same as ours if we win out. Strength of victory then comes in and I think we have that over them.

robcesq
12-19-2006, 11:01 AM
I think there's another scenario that gets the Steelers to the playoffs. It isn't necessary for Jacksonville to lose both of their games - so long as Tennessee wins both of their games (against Buffalo and New England). Under this scenario, Tennessee and Jacksonville would both finish at 9-7 and, under tiebreaker #1, Tennessee and Jacksonville must first go through the tiebreaker alone so that only 1 team remains from the South Division. Tennessee would knock out Jacksonville based on Division record (Tenn is4-2; Jacksonville is 2-4). Pittsburgh would then beat out Tennessee based on the common opponents tiebreaker (Steelers 2-3; Tennessee 1-4). Of course, it assumes Pittsburgh wins both of its remaining games, and some of the other outcomes. I welcome anyone confirming my thought on this scenario.

BigDuke6
12-19-2006, 11:22 AM
The Jets only need to lose one game. If the Jets lose one game, their conference record will be 6-6, the same as ours if we win out. Strength of victory then comes in and I think we have that over them.

We do.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Forget the scenerios,we must win our last two to even have a shot at those scenerios helping us.

I'll be happy with finishing 9-7 and some respect,if we make the playoffs then the AFC better watch out because we'll be on a roll again.

clevestinks
12-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Whatever it takes. All I know is we`re still in it.

robcesq
12-19-2006, 11:35 AM
If the Jets lose this week to Miami - a more likely scenario than hoping they lose to Oakland the following week - I don't think it even gets to the strength of victory tiebreaker between the Jets and Steelers (tiebreaker #4 w/ two clubs; tiebreaker #5 w/ three or more clubs) because the Steelers would beat out the Jets based upon the common opponents tiebreaker (tiebreaker #3 w/ two clubs; tiebreaker #4 w/ three or more clubs). Steelers beat Jets in common games tiebreaker - 3-2 Steelers vs. 2-3 for Jets.

herewegosteelers
12-19-2006, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=Black and Gold Forever 32;191468]What sucks Steelers fans have to root for Tom Brady and the Pats this week. That was as bad as rooting for Peyton Manning and the Colts last night. I think I'm going to puke.[/

Rotorhead
12-19-2006, 12:29 PM
So I guess it is . . . Go Broncos, Miami and Pats!! Oh and of course as alway GO STEELERS. I really just hope we kick the crap out of the Ratbirds!

BigDuke6
12-19-2006, 02:39 PM
So I guess it is . . . Go Broncos, Miami and Pats!! Oh and of course as alway GO STEELERS. I really just hope we kick the crap out of the Ratbirds!

We will.