PDA

View Full Version : Mcnair to start..

Big D
12-19-2006, 11:48 AM
OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) -- Steve McNair is expected to start this Sunday for the Baltimore Ravens, although his injured right hand might affect his practice time this week.

McNair played only two series in the Ravens' playoff-clinching 27-17 win over the Cleveland Browns on Sunday. He left shortly after Cleveland linebacker Andra Davis accidentally stepped on his throwing hand, opening up a cut that made it difficult for the quarterback to take snaps from center.

McNair could have returned if needed, but backup Kyle Boller played well enough to make that a moot point.

"Steve was certainly ready to go back in should something have happened to Kyle, so that was a comfort zone," Ravens coach Brian Billick said Monday. "It was my call. He was ready to go, but I thought it was the prudent thing to do -- and now I'm glad we did."

McNair wanted to play, but the pain he experienced in taking snaps persuaded Billick to avoid using him unless it was absolutely necessary.

"My concern was the quarterback-center exchange. Plus, 60 snaps was going to do nothing but irritate that," Billick said. "I don't know if that would have in our best interest in the long term -- the long term being next week and the week after next."

Boller went 13-for-21 for 238 yards and two touchdowns, and Baltimore (11-3) clinched a playoff berth with its seventh win in eight games. The Ravens are still in the hunt for a first-round bye and the best overall record in the AFC, and now they'll have McNair available for Sunday's game at Pittsburgh and the regular-season finale against visiting Buffalo.

"I think I'll be all right. I just have to get the soreness out of it," McNair said after Sunday's game. "I'm quite sure I'll be ready."

Billick will be careful this week to make sure McNair's tender right hand doesn't take a beating in practice.

"We'll see exactly how it feels," the coach said. "There may be a few more (shot)gun snaps, just to get him the snap that way. I'll have to see exactly how that is Wednesday."

McNair has been an integral part of the Ravens' success this season. Obtained in an offseason trade with the Tennessee Titans, the veteran quarterback has been a leader on the field and in the locker room.

He has also thrown 13 touchdown passes and generated comeback wins over Cleveland, San Diego and Tennessee. But when McNair left the game Sunday, the Ravens quickly accepted the concept of winning with Boller at quarterback.

"No one panicked, no one blinked. It was Kyle's in, let's go," Billick said. "They adjusted very readily."

Even McNair accepted the idea of watching from the sideline, albeit with a certain degree of anxiety.

"I think he recognized that he didn't want to put the team at risk," Billick said. "I think he was glad we were able to do something else, because he recognized it will heal much quicker."

After going 6-10 last year, the Ravens are delighted to be in the playoffs. But they realize that the road to the Super Bowl will be a lot smoother if they receive a first-round bye and play at least one game at home.

"We have to keep chugging," linebacker Bart Scott said. "We still have a lot to play for. By no means do we shut it down here."

clevestinks
12-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Good, Revenge is sweet!

Hell if we cant beat them at thier best, then we dont deserve to go anyway.

Bring them on!

GOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo Steelers!

Who Rides?

klick81
12-19-2006, 11:55 AM
WE RIDE!!!:tt02:

stlrtruck
12-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Exactly, that way the ratbird fans can't complain when we beat them into submission on Sunday and say that they didn't have their starter. Or better yet, let's hope the defense gives some revenge to McNair for the beating Ben took in the last game.

SteelerFanInCA
12-19-2006, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't have it any other way. McNair is beatable.

BigDuke6
12-19-2006, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't have it any other way. McNair is beatable.

Thank you. He is VERY beatable.

DarkRaven
12-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Well, it should be a pretty good game. McNair adds a new demension to the Ravens offense. McNair use to be a thorn in the Steelers side for many years and it would interesting to see how the Steelers respond. Remember, the Ravens aren't a beat up team with a garbage QB like Chris Wienke. Carolina was a Bye week for you guys. I think this game for both teams will be won at the line. If the Steelers O-line decides to show up this Sunday then you guys have a pretty good chance of beating us.

Big D
12-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Well, it should be a pretty good game. McNair adds a new demension to the Ravens offense. McNair use to be a thorn in the Steelers side for many years and it would interesting to see how the Steelers respond. Remember, the Ravens aren't a beat up team with a garbage QB like Chris Wienke. Carolina was a Bye week for you guys. I think this game for both teams will be won at the line. If the Steelers O-line decides to show up this Sunday then you guys have a pretty good chance of beating us.

whats up with all the ravens fans showing class?

DarkRaven
12-19-2006, 02:15 PM
whats up with all the ravens fans showing class?

Hahaha I was thinking the same thing about you guys.

Big D
12-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Hahaha I was thinking the same thing about you guys.

This forum has a history of welcomming in fans from outside teams. As long as they dont come in here trolling the board

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Ravens definitely in the hunt for a bye and need this game so there is no way McNair sits unless he can't go.

Getting the Chargers or Indy in Baltimore rather than on the road will make all the difference to the Raven's psot-season - let's ruin that for them and then end the Bengals season to go out with heads held high for 2007!

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Baltimore Ravens, The New AFC North Division Champions ...

Flying this like it means something,see the bungles. I'll take SUPER BOWL CHAMPION any old time !:tt02:

DarkRaven
12-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Baltimore Ravens, The New AFC North Division Champions ...

Flying this like it means something,see the bungles. I'll take SUPER BOWL CHAMPION any old time !:tt02:

The ride doesn't end here, buddy. The Ravens got a Super Bowl ring. I want to see another one. The bungles will never wear a ring. Destination: Miami.

clevestinks
12-19-2006, 03:44 PM
This forum has a history of welcomming in fans from outside teams. As long as they dont come in here trolling the board

I agree I like to hear from others that have good takes and know thier football

SCSTILLER
12-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Great, another band wagon Ravens fan. Probably doesn't know that Elvis Grbac was their QB, and not another mystery sighting in Las Vegas!

DarkRaven
12-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Great, another band wagon Ravens fan. Probably doesn't know that Elvis Grbac was their QB, and not another mystery sighting in Las Vegas!

Well, your sadly mistaken. I been a fan since 1996. Secondly, you only have 19 post in this forum so I think it would be safe to say that you could be a bandwagon steeler fan. You just joined this month wise azz.

Stillers#1
12-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Well, your sadly mistaken. I been a fan since 1996. Secondly, you only have 19 post in this forum so I think it would be safe to say that you could be a bandwagon steeler fan. You just joined this month wise azz.

hmm it appears we have a non-english Raven fan LITP on our hands. Welcome, and good luck on Sunday.

I think McNair starting will be the difference, his hand is going to be sore all week. And I am willing to bet it will affect his play a bit. The D won't fold like they did the last time, and I just don't see out O doing as poorly, although I do see 2 Ben INT's in our future.

My prediction

Stillers: 24
Ravens: 21 (14 points off TO's)

floodcitygirl
12-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Good, Revenge is sweet!

Hell if we cant beat them at thier best, then we dont deserve to go anyway.

Bring them on!

GOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo Steelers!

Who Rides?Thanks for the great attitude!!!! WE RIDE!!!!!!! :tt02:

tony hipchest
12-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Great, another band wagon Ravens fan. Probably doesn't know that Elvis Grbac was their QB, and not another mystery sighting in Las Vegas!i havent seen nothing to suggest a bandwagon fan. a hated rival fan, maybe. but every new member deserves a chance.

nicesteel4life
12-19-2006, 10:47 PM
SCStiller you better keep that soap in your mouth after that RATBIRD ate you up. Good luck and welcome to the boards old cleavland fan, but I feel a win, I feel it strong, specially since Willie got his probowl ride. He is gonna be pumped. McNair's hand is going to be sore, not even a football players hands heal magically with fairy dust. I've had a good cut or two in the hand, it takes forever to heal...WE WIN and Joey gets another fine....GO STEELERS

RatBirds often forget where they came from!!!
Brownie Fans wish they could give them back!!!
Bungals Where stripes on and off the field!!!
and they all want to be Steelers.....

Preacher
12-20-2006, 12:18 AM
If we want to be in the playoffs... it is only right that we face the Ravens at full strength.

Hey, Darkraven...

Keep up the class... your welcome here anytime!

DarkRaven
12-20-2006, 01:34 AM
hmm it appears we have a non-english Raven fan LITP on our hands. Welcome, and good luck on Sunday.

I think McNair starting will be the difference, his hand is going to be sore all week. And I am willing to bet it will affect his play a bit. The D won't fold like they did the last time, and I just don't see out O doing as poorly, although I do see 2 Ben INT's in our future.

My prediction

Stillers: 24
Ravens: 21 (14 points off TO's)

My english is fine, thank you. McNair will should heal quickly and throwing the ball isn't the problem. The Ravens were concerned about infecting the sore after taking constant snaps from center. I know that I have mentioned this before but if the O-line steps up Sunday. You will see the difference. I personally think games are won in the trenches. I think Ben has problems reading the different defensive schemes Rex Ryan gives him. And who can blame him, the Ravens defense is a mixture of 4-3, 3-4, and even 46 defense.(Buddy Ryan Signature 85' Bears scheme). It should be a hell of a match up. Two bitter rivals leaving everything on the field after the game.

Preacher
12-20-2006, 01:48 AM
My english is fine, thank you. McNair will should heal quickly and throwing the ball isn't the problem. The Ravens were concerned about infecting the sore after taking constant snaps from center. This game will be decided at the line. Keeping a strong O-line will slow down any good defense. I think Ben has problems reading the different defensive looks Rex Ryan gives him. It should be a hell of a match up. Two bitter rivals leaving everything on the field after the game.

Actually DarkRaven... that is literally English... as in, LITP is FROM ENGLAND.

DarkRaven
12-20-2006, 01:52 AM
Actually DarkRaven... that is literally English... as in, LITP is FROM ENGLAND.

HA HA HA ! My bad.

hellbread
12-20-2006, 03:27 AM
i dunno if i like mcnair starting...he has always caused us problems even when he was with the titans. but i doubt our d will care who is under center, they will be out for blood. but wat i dont understand ok cool beans the ravens are trying to get a 1st round bye which i know is crucial. but why risk your starting qb...which is already injured...against the most punishing defense in the league. i didnt say dominating...i said punishing. so dont say oh baltimore has the better defense and i agree at the moment they do. the steelers just let u know u have been hit :smile: anywho. i just dont see a point in starting mcnair when he could get hurt. ahhh hell i dont care strap a bullseye on him. :banging:

HometownGal
12-20-2006, 06:37 AM
i havent seen nothing to suggest a bandwagon fan. a hated rival fan, maybe. but every new member deserves a chance.

Very well stated, Tony. :thumbsup: We welcome fans of all teams here at SF and give them a fair chance until they prove to be trolls, which DarkRaven definitely is not. :smile: Glad to have you on board, Dark Raven.

I think the Ratfinks are going to see quite a different team on that field on Sunday than they did a month ago. This is going to be a great game - wish Sunday would hurry up and get here! :tt02:

Big D
12-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Very well stated, Tony. :thumbsup: We welcome fans of all teams here at SF and give them a fair chance until they prove to be trolls, which DarkRaven definitely is not. :smile: Glad to have you on board, Dark Raven.

I think the Ratfinks are going to see quite a different team on that field on Sunday than they did a month ago. This is going to be a great game - wish Sunday would hurry up and get here! :tt02:

I have to agree with the majority here. I think fans from other teams should not hesitate to join the forum. I think it's always a good thing to have a non "homer" perspective. I have enjoyed litp, cantstop85, silver and black and now black ravens perspectives. Sometimes being a die hard steeler fans we tend to be homers..

HometownGal
12-20-2006, 08:23 AM
I have to agree with the majority here. I think fans from other teams should not hesitate to join the forum. I think it's always a good thing to have a non "homer" perspective. I have enjoyed litp, cantstop85, silver and black and now black ravens perspectives. Sometimes being a die hard steeler fans we tend to be homers..

I think as diehard fans of teams we love, though some different, all of us can be put in that "homer" category with regard to our respective teams. Nothing wrong with that at all. I believe different perspectives by other teams' fans is healthy for the growth of the board.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-20-2006, 08:41 AM

Good point Big D...and my radar for trolls...("trolldar")...hasnt gone off with darkraven.

Big D
12-20-2006, 08:49 AM
Good point Big D...and my radar for trolls...("trolldar")...hasnt gone off with darkraven.

rip kfaulk99

Justin Otstott
12-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Well that's good that McNair is starting.......Now I can talk trash to my brother who is a Raven fan after we beat em !!

DarkRaven
12-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Well, I definitely appreciate it. We have Steeler fans come into the Ravens forum all the time. And we usually get along well. Until game time. :dang:
But I must admit, I was rather surprised by the open arms in a Steelers forum. My advice to you is stay away from the Bengal's forum. Those guys are nuts. lol.