PDA

View Full Version : Cowher Discusses His Future To Some Extent

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Attaching a link to the audio excerpt where Cowher sort of discusses his future plans in today's press conference.

Same old same old (I will decide after the season) although today's spin is that Cowher has not addressed the issue with the Pittsburgh media because nobody has asked him.

What bull****! He put the issue off limits in training camp.

Actually a pretty good natured exchange (winning solves a lot of things, eh?) until it gets little terse at the end when someone asks if $$$ are an issue, at which point Cowher says it is time to talk about the Ravens game.

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/blogngold/

Cape Cod Steel Head
12-19-2006, 02:44 PM
I hope the front office is already seriously looking for possible replacements!

Big D
12-19-2006, 02:49 PM
what pisses me off is he still wont give a straight up answer. You have to respect tiki barber for his honesty regarding his retirement. I think this just goes to show you that he is leaving. If he was staying dont you think he would just say yup i'll be back next year.

HometownGal
12-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Oh no - not this redundant subject again. :rolleyes: When Cowher is ready to reveal his plans for the future, he will do so and not a moment before. Carry on.

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2006, 02:54 PM
I hope the front office is already seriously looking for possible replacements!

I imagine they are doing a lot more than looking - I assume they are actively talking with Whiz & Grimm while doing back channel contacts with several other teams' coordinators and/or their agents.

If Mora gets canned, look for the Falcons to come after Whiz, a situation that will place the Steelers in a spot if Whiz is their choice to replace Cowher and Cowher really does intend to stare into space for a month before quitting.

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Oh no - not this redundant subject again. :rolleyes: When Cowher is ready to reveal his plans for the future, he will do so and not a moment before. Carry on.

Well the appearance of a redundant subject apparently merits the appearance of the redundant response that Bill cannot and should not be pushed because whatever Bill does is OK.:smile:

HTG - do you really contend that if Cowher wants to wait until mid-February to quit while the Steelers first, second and maybe third choices to replace him get other jobs that he has no obligation to make up his mind sooner?

He coaches the team - he doesn't own it.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-19-2006, 03:03 PM
If I were the Rooney's I would give Cowher a week to annouce if he is retiring or not. After week is up they should ask for his resignation.

Big D
12-19-2006, 03:04 PM
If I were the Rooney's I would give Cowher a week to annouce if he is retiring or not. After week is up they should ask for his resignation.

I would give him until jan 1. That way they can at least finish out the season with Cowher. But I agree

Black@Gold Forever32
12-19-2006, 03:04 PM
I would give him until jan 1. That way they can at least finish out the season with Cowher. But I agree

Thats what I meant a week after the season.

Big D
12-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Well the appearance of a redundant subject apparently merits the appearance of the redundant response that Bill cannot and should not be pushed because whatever Bill does is OK.:smile:

HTG - do you really contend that if Cowher wants to wait until mid-February to quit while the Steelers first, second and maybe third choices to replace him get other jobs that he has no obligation to make up his mind sooner?

very true we dont want to go into march without a head coach. We arent the raiders.

83-Steelers-43
12-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Attaching a link to the audio excerpt where Cowher sort of discusses his future plans in today's press conference.

Same old same old (I will decide after the season) although today's spin is that Cowher has not addressed the issue with the Pittsburgh media because nobody has asked him.

What bull****! He put the issue off limits in training camp.

Actually a pretty good natured exchange (winning solves a lot of things, eh?) until it gets little terse at the end when someone asks if $$$ are an issue, at which point Cowher says it is time to talk about the Ravens game.

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/blogngold/

Same old, same old pretty much sums it up. That whole situation has turned into such a joke it's not even funny. Free pass as usual.

BREAKING NEWS: Bill Cowher is now the mayor of the city of Pittsburrr I mean Raleigh, and he's now our official Pope.

HometownGal
12-19-2006, 03:37 PM

Touche. :wink02: Dan - my point is simply this. Bill Cowher is NOT accountable to anyone other than God Himself, his wife and children and Mr. Rooney. How do you or anyone else know for certain that the Steelers F.O. and Cowher aren't in the process of discussing his future as you all sit here and play Sherlock Holmes? We don't - and the constant speculation and ifs, whys and becauses by the media and fans is getting...........dare I say it........redundant. This subject has been run into the ground, especially by the media. All of this started just because Cowher and his family decided to purchase a home in North Carolina, where they both have familiarity. Do you think Cowher is the only NFL coach who doesn't reside in the city where he coaches?

With all of the excitement building towards the heavy matchups the Steelers are facing in the next two weeks, aren't there better things to discuss? We're all anxious to hear Cowher's decision but until he's ready to announce it, we're kind of going around in circles. As I've said before - Bill Cowher is an honorable guy. He has a deep fondness and respect for the Rooneys and his players. I just don't see him leaving any of them in the lurch by deliberately holding back his decision, which tells me that talks are very much in the process, contrary to what the media tries to lead us fans to believe. Controversy sells, unfortunately.

Big D
12-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Touche. :wink02: Dan - my point is simply this. Bill Cowher is NOT accountable to anyone other than God Himself, his wife and children and Mr. Rooney. How do you or anyone else know for certain that the Steelers F.O. and Cowher aren't in the process of discussing his future as you all sit here and play Sherlock Holmes? We don't - and the constant speculation and ifs, whys and becauses by the media and fans is getting...........dare I say it........redundant. This subject has been run into the ground, especially by the media. All of this started just because Cowher and his family decided to purchase a home in North Carolina, where they both have familiarity. Do you think Cowher is the only NFL coach who doesn't reside in the city where he coaches?

With all of the excitement building towards the heavy matchups the Steelers are facing in the next two weeks, aren't there better things to discuss? We're all anxious to hear Cowher's decision but until he's ready to announce it, we're kind of going around in circles. As I've said before - Bill Cowher is an honorable guy. He has a deep fondness and respect for the Rooneys and his players. I just don't see him leaving any of them in the lurch by deliberately holding back his decision, which tells me that talks are very much in the process, contrary to what the media tries to lead us fans to believe. Controversy sells, unfortunately.
I dont think the steeler front office would want all this drama. I think if there were heavy contract discussions someone would come right out and say it and put all this to bed.

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2006, 04:00 PM
HTG -thanks for the good natured spirit in which you responded to my post, but as others on this board have stated, if you are bored by a particular thread there is a simple response - move on to the next thread.

As for what is or is not important, I am interested in the games because I am a fan but in terms of the long term impact on the franchise, the only way these next two games will have a greater impact on the franchise than Cowher's decision to leave or sign up for several more years would be if Ben suffered a Carson Palmer type injury in the next two weeks.

It is nice to dream the Steelers will make the playoffs but that is about as likely as me finding a 2007 Mercedes SL 55 AMG convertible with Anjelina Jolie in the front seat under the tree next Monday morning.

Big D
12-19-2006, 04:03 PM
HTG -thanks for the good natured spirit in which you responded to my post, but as others on this board have stated, if you are bored by a particular thread there is a simple response - move on to the next thread.

As for what is or is not important, I am interested in the games because I am a fan but in terms of the long term impact on the franchise, the only way these next two games will have a greater impact on the franchise than Cowher's decision to leave or sign up for several more years would be if Ben suffered a Carson Palmer type injury in the next two weeks.

It is nice to dream the Steelers will make the playoffs but that is about as likely as me finding a 2007 Mercedes SL 55 AMG convertible with Anjelina Jolie in the front seat under the tree next Monday morning.

if that happens. Would you mind swinging by my house?

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2006, 04:04 PM
if that happens. Would you mind swinging by my house?

If that happens, I doubt I will be posting as much for awhile :smile:

Big D
12-19-2006, 04:06 PM
If that happens, I doubt I will be posting as much for awhile :smile:

I dont blame you. Although with lips like those I wouldnt count on brad pitt letting her go

MJ5150
12-19-2006, 04:52 PM
I think this just goes to show you that he is leaving. If he was staying dont you think he would just say yup i'll be back next year.

Not so much. Mike Holmgren did the same thing up here in Seattle.

Holmgren kept quiet while everyone and their momma went on and on about how he was leaving. Everyone from the media to the fans felt he should just step up in the middle of the season and tell all of the fans what he plans to do with his coaching career. In the end, he signed an extension as you all know.

I wouldn't automatically assume he is gone because he hasn't told any of us what he wants to do.

-Mike

Big D
12-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Not so much. Mike Holmgren did the same thing up here in Seattle.

Holmgren kept quiet while everyone and their momma went on and on about how he was leaving. Everyone from the media to the fans felt he should just step up in the middle of the season and tell all of the fans what he plans to do with his coaching career. In the end, he signed an extension as you all know.

I wouldn't automatically assume he is gone because he hasn't told any of us what he wants to do.

-Mike

Yeah but bill cowher has never done this in the 15 years he has been here. And werent the seahawks still winning while those rumors were flying