PDA

View Full Version : Trick Play

SCSTILLER
12-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Does anyone else think that it was a bad time to pull out a trick play (finally) in the Carolina game? I think it would have been better utilized against Baltimore or Cincy. I understand that maybe they wanted to see if it would work against a team we already had the lead against, but my big fear is now the Ravens and Bengals may be preparing for more plays like that. It was a good throw by Ced, but I just feel it was the wrong time to bring it out. Don't get me wrong, I loved the trick plays last year and was happy to see it again! Any other opinions?

Infamix
12-21-2006, 08:34 AM
I think it was an OK time. Your right, maybe against Baltimore would have been better, but what if it doesn't work then? I think the ideal time to pull it out would have been against the Browns the second time we played them.

clevestinks
12-21-2006, 08:47 AM
First you need game time experience with the play. Cowher always pulls them out at unexpected times. One thing about our trick plays, we seem to use them more than anybody else, and we our very successful. So I believe this is just the first of many

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-21-2006, 08:56 AM
I see some logic in pulling out this play right before the Ravens game. Now the Ratbirds have to sit back and think "are they gonna pull it out of their hat"?....If we can put that doubt in their minds and make them hesitate for a split second..it gives us an advantage

DACEB
12-21-2006, 09:44 AM
I totally agree L-L-T now they have something else to think about, and keep the defense on their heels instead of pinning their ears back and coming all out at Big Ben.

clevestinks
12-21-2006, 09:56 AM
I see some logic in pulling out this play right before the Ravens game. Now the Ratbirds have to sit back and think "are they gonna pull it out of their hat"?....If we can put that doubt in their minds and make them hesitate for a split second..it gives us an advantage

Right, now we can hand off to Wilson, have him throw, run, hand if off, or even back to Ben for a flea flicker. Options

NV STEELERS 723
12-21-2006, 10:02 AM

Whiz probably saw the safety cheating from the box upstairs.....I don't think the raven D will be that stupid though!

BigDuke6
12-21-2006, 10:05 AM

DITTO

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Whiz probably saw the safety cheating from the box upstairs.....I don't think the raven D will be that stupid though!

Good...let the safety play back and we will run Willie...or hit a WR short middle on a slant...if the safety cheats and it gives us that option...and GURANTEED...if the play works he will NOT cheat again

SCSTILLER
12-21-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks all, you all made me feel better about the play being used when it was. Here's to a big win over the Ravens on Sunday, will be there at Heinz Field to watch the game, first one this season! :cheers:

MACH1
12-21-2006, 11:16 AM

:iagree:

Gives em something else to think about.

SteelerFanInCA
12-21-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm sure we have plenty of trick plays left in the bag. I'm still waiting for the Heath Miller to Big Ben touch down pass. :tt02:

ChronoCross
12-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Panthers game was perfect because if it failed, no big deal. So seeing that Wilson has the arm and making sure it can work is good on both sides. Plus like others said it makes the Ravens have to prepair for it.

SwedishSteeler
12-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Does no one remember last season? Last post-season more specifically. I didn't read all the replies, so someome may have made this point but....Last year we pulled that same play with randle el how many times? Well, at least five in the regular season and at least two in the playoffs...(including the superbowl, if i remember right...).

You're implying that we "wasted" the play when in reality, that play can be used every single game for years...because the truth is that no one can really defend it. Looks like a run, smells like a run...but ends up being a pass.

Sure, teams could modify defenses to defend that play, but then if they lineup to defend THAT specific play...all we have to do is do a regular run play and we're all set.

don't sweat it.

Infamix
12-22-2006, 06:28 AM

Great point llt, I did not think of that