PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburghese useage...

PisnNapalm
12-21-2006, 11:35 PM
I wasn't sure where to put this thread so I thought the "Fans United" area was best.

I haven't lived in the Pittsburgh area since I went off to college in 1987. Today as I watched the NFL Films show about Stiller fans again I thought to myself... "I used to talk like that."

So here's my question for you fans that have moved away.... Do you still sound like a Pittsburgher?

Occasionally I will let rip with some phrase or word pronounciation that will spin the heads of those around me.

I still say::

dahntahn
gumbans
slippy
yinz
worsh
nebby
red up
n'at
chipped ham ( I love goin to the deli and asking for "a pahn a chipped ham". They look at me like I got 2 heads.

Oh... I still drop most of the "to be"s from sentences. There's just so much of the dialect that I don't use anymore. It saddens me a bit.

A while back I was talking to someone for the first time and they asked if I was from western PA. I said yes of course and asked how she knew. She said I sounded like it. I took that as a huge compliment. :tt02:

My other question:: If you could move back, would you?

If I could afford to I would move back in a heartbeat.:tt02: Perhaps after the kids have grown and moved away. I dunno.

Ironcityman
12-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Nice to see the mother tongue spoken! I moved from Pittsburgh in '95, lived in VA, Chicago and now Buffalo. I had a real tough time early on adapting my language so people could understand me. People would look at me strange, especially when saying words like: pole, pull, pool and poll (I don't make a distinction, they're all pronounced the same, also steel and still, or Dawn and Don - Try it and see if you pronounce these differently.

I have two kids that I try and slip in some good Pittsburghese. In case we ever move back, I want them to understand the language!

Take it easy n'at!

iloveben7
12-22-2006, 12:18 AM
I can't really answer any of your questions because I've lived in Pittsburgh all of my life and I wouldn't trade it for the world. What better place to be than where the 3 greatest sports play, the nicest people in the world, the most loyal and craziest sports fans, your city has its own language and it's so beautiful!! When I get older, I'm never moving out of Pittsburgh!! I LOVE IT HERE!!

Buzz05
12-22-2006, 06:33 AM
I just wanna go back to Pa in general, well central or Western Pa. I always say yinz when i am out with my Baltimore friends, they just look at me like i took one too many to head. I never knew chipped ham had any other names before I moved here. The grocery store people always look at me weird. I still say 'sweep' instead of vacuum and 'red up.' And I ALWAYS say 'lets go dahn tahn' haha I love it. I would move back in half a heart beat

floodcitygirl
12-22-2006, 10:00 AM
I've lost most of my accent now but let me just have a phone call with my sister and it's amazing how I pick it right back up without even noticing! I still use the terminology. I lived in Florida for a while when I left PA. I'll never foget the reaction I got when I asked for a gumban......I had never heard it called anything else!!!!!!! :sofunny:

BTW, the look at the deli counter when I asked for "chippy chopped ham" was priceless!!! And how many say "throw me down the"....dirty clothes, sweeper, etc...?????? People around here find that strange too.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-22-2006, 10:09 AM
I went to Borders last night to get my Pittsburgh to English dictionary...and Darn It!!!...all out.

SO....would some kind person please translate these terms for those of us not from the City.

In return I can supply you with some good ole fashioned southern Illinois dialect like "bein have" and "tradin'"...

PisnNapalm
12-22-2006, 10:40 AM
http://www.pittsburghese.com :o)

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Those are freaking hilarious...my partner in here today is from Greensburgh and she is laughing her tail off right now...!!!! Rep points to you!!!

PisnNapalm
12-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks man. :)

Mosca
12-22-2006, 11:51 AM
How to pronounce "towel": "tal".

I still drop "to be", but I've had to adapt to "rubber bands", can't say "yinz", "pop", "worsh", "nebby", "red up"... no one knew what I was talking about when I said that.

Tom

PisnNapalm
12-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Ahh yes... "pop'. I still say that one too. Some people out here near Philly know what you're talking about when you ask for a pop. Most don't though.

For those not from Pittsburgh or western PA in general, we have a habit of dropping the "to be" out of sentences.

Example. "This room needs to be cleaned." We say... "This room needs cleaned." While it's not good grammatically it sounds perfectly normal and correct to us. However a real Pittsburgher would just say, 'Red up th'room." :o)

PisnNapalm
12-22-2006, 12:12 PM
LOL!! I keep finding more words I still use!

Supposebly

Maybe I haven't lost as much as I think! :o)

polamalufan43
12-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Well, once you live in Pittsburgh there is no turning back. I have never lived outside of Pittsburgh. I talk in Pittsburghese alot and most of the time I don't even notice it. Anytime I go to the deli everyone is saying "chipped." I went down to North Carolina one summer and I had to talk differently for people to understand me. It was actually kinda funny. They should make a Pittsburghese translation dictionary one of these days.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

WisconsinSteelerMan
12-22-2006, 01:02 PM
I have lived in 'Scahnsin (Wisconsin for the Pittsburgher) for 12 years and have lost a little of the accent. I still turn it on here in the office at my company when talking about my Stillers. It makes everyone laugh around here...they talk so funny (Dohn-cha-knohw) (trying to get the 'Scahnsin accent in writing). They have no idea what chipped ham is up here, and they can't slice it thin enough for our family.

Funny story...I lived in Philly for a year or two after college, and worked at a retail store with carpet. When we were closing for the night, we always divided up the chores of cleaning the store. It was just me and one of the girls who worked in the store. I told her, "I will dust the shelves, if you 'sweep' the floor" She looked at me like I was from another planet... It took me a second and I said, "oh, I mean VACCUUM" the floor and she roared at me!!!

Up here in 'Scahnsin, I still used stuff like "dahn" and "up, 'er" and stuff like that. I have put the "to be" back in my vocabulary. My kids, however, speak pure 'Scahnsin Norske...it bugs the crap outta me!!!

Hey, I got an idea... "After the game on Sundee, yinz guys wanna go up Eat'n Park and get some pop an' 'at??"

Mike in La Crosse, WI

floodcitygirl
12-22-2006, 03:37 PM
Ahh yes... "pop'. I still say that one too. Some people out here near Philly know what you're talking about when you ask for a pop. Most don't though.

For those not from Pittsburgh or western PA in general, we have a habit of dropping the "to be" out of sentences.

Example. "This room needs to be cleaned." We say... "This room needs cleaned." While it's not good grammatically it sounds perfectly normal and correct to us. However a real Pittsburgher would just say, 'Red up th'room." :o)LOL!!! I had no idea that it was strange to drop the "to be"! I do that all the time....never realized it was a Western PA thing.

PisnNapalm
12-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Oh yeah... I've had people try to correct me by saying the sentence with the "to be" in it. It's like they can't compute it without the extra words.

floodcitygirl
12-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Oh yeah... I've had people try to correct me by saying the sentence with the "to be" in it. It's like they can't compute it without the extra words.Now that I think about it, I think I do that more when I'm mad. Somehow it gives it more of a punch! That's so funny...I never thought about it. Oh....and I always say pop.

iloveben7
12-22-2006, 06:44 PM
LOL!!! I had no idea that it was strange to drop the "to be"! I do that all the time....never realized it was a Western PA thing.
I do that all the time!!

polamalufan43
12-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Seriously. After reading this thread I decided to look up some Pittsburghese words that I didn't know about, and I use more of it than I thought. That explains why it took me a longer time to communicate with my cousins, who were born and raised in San Antonio, Texas, when they came here, lol.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

LarryNJ
12-22-2006, 10:44 PM
I left Pittsburgh for 10 years, returned for 10 and been gone again for 5. Most of my Pittsburghese is a thing of the past.

I'd never say never but I really don't see myself ever moving back. I miss the Steelers and Pens but that's about it. ( I do get to see the pens whoop up on the Flyers a few times a year :thumbsup: )

BlacknGold76
12-23-2006, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the reference to the Picksburghese. I like it alot!!!!!!:tt02:

pitt
12-23-2006, 12:44 AM
LOL I like the translator. Now my friends in other states can figure out what the hell I'm saying to them.

BlacknGold76
12-23-2006, 09:12 AM
I'm trying to learn Pittsburghese.:banana:

skidboot
12-23-2006, 03:36 PM
LOL.

I can't believe that when I go down to Pittsburgh that you guys think I have an accent!!!

NV STEELERS 723
03-08-2007, 05:57 PM
My Dad has been here in So. NV for 20 years now,( grew up in Dormont, and Brentwood) and he although he doesn't use the words anymore, its just the way his accent is now....he still has that back "east drawl"....

I have never heard him say "yinz" !!!

SteelShooter
03-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Well, I really do not know about all of that. But I do know that, even though I feel as though I have lost most of my SouthEast Texas Drawl, others pick mine up rather quickly.

Since I give briefings quite a bit, I would really catch hell when I first came in the Navy. One of my Senior Chiefs would constantly remind me to use ALL of the standard syllables of a word......"do not add any, do not take any away!"

We have a bad habit of adding syllables to words, but merging words together. In defense, I say "We are just intelligent enough to get the same meaning across with less effort expended!"

Now, after two tours in Japan, a tour in the Philippines, 3 tours in California, a tour in Maine, and an inordinate amount of time overseas (mainly East Asia and the Middle East), I feel as though my Texian is pretty muddled and screwed up. I often catch myself using sentences that consist of words from multiple languages. About the only ones that can understand me are the Navy Old Farts.

But now that I am in Southern Mississippi, some of it is creeping back in.

It's funny how many dialects actually exist in Texas. East/Southeast Drawl, Central TX Twang (very similar to the West TX dialect), and the poor souls that live in the panhandle........poor people sound like Oklahomans (pity, pity).

GBMelBlount
03-09-2007, 10:10 PM
I wasn't sure where to put this thread so I thought the "Fans United" area was best.

I haven't lived in the Pittsburgh area since I went off to college in 1987. Today as I watched the NFL Films show about Stiller fans again I thought to myself... "I used to talk like that."

So here's my question for you fans that have moved away.... Do you still sound like a Pittsburgher?

Occasionally I will let rip with some phrase or word pronounciation that will spin the heads of those around me.

I still say::

dahntahn
gumbans
slippy
yinz
worsh
nebby
red up
n'at
chipped ham ( I love goin to the deli and asking for "a pahn a chipped ham". They look at me like I got 2 heads.

Oh... I still drop most of the "to be"s from sentences. There's just so much of the dialect that I don't use anymore. It saddens me a bit.

A while back I was talking to someone for the first time and they asked if I was from western PA. I said yes of course and asked how she knew. She said I sounded like it. I took that as a huge compliment. :tt02:

My other question:: If you could move back, would you?

If I could afford to I would move back in a heartbeat.:tt02: Perhaps after the kids have grown and moved away. I dunno.

pissnapalm, I thought you were in Vietnam, judging by your handle. What gives?

thatashleygirl
05-12-2007, 03:29 PM
I just said gumban the other day and no one knew what I was talkin about! I have only ever called them that. I didnt know other people didnt! Also, "quad" (like ATV) they dont know down here. (in Atlanta Ga).
weird.

rabidfrodo
08-03-2007, 11:44 PM
I lived in Pittsburgh for 7 years and moved to Philly and have lived here for 8. The other 3 years of my life were in Chicago but that was early years. The best years have been in Philly though those reasons include the Steelers winning the Super Bowl and other things. You ask the question would I move back.... My dad still has our season tickets, my first choice for a college to attend University of Pittsburgh, my whole family lives there, and last but not least in anyway I love Pittsburgh sports. So in short yes I would move back and in a way I am from August to April and whenever I come back to see family. On the Pittsburghese my mother and fathers families grew up in the suburbs for anyone in Pittsburgh North Allegheny and Sewickly. So my grandparents have an Irish and Pittsburgh accent mix the oddest thing you will ever hear. Every relative that is older than me either speaks it all the time because they live there or in my uncles, fathers and one aunts case when they are home they talk like they haven't left. I have the ability to understand Pittsburghese though I can't speak it.

Jman
08-04-2007, 12:31 AM
The site is pretty funny. I noticed I do say some of those things....

SteelSurf
12-25-2007, 03:12 AM
and most important, Jeet Jet?
Did you eat yet? :)