PDA

View Full Version : Heinz Field getting new high-definition screen next year

83-Steelers-43
12-22-2006, 06:14 AM
Heinz Field getting new high-definition screen next year
Friday, December 22, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Heinz Field is going HD.

The city-Allegheny County Sports & Exhibition Authority yesterday approved the purchase of a new $2.4 million high-definition video display board for Heinz Field, to be ready for the 2007 season.

The Daktronics video board will replace the existing screen, which has been in use since the stadium opened in 2001 and which does not have high definition capabilities.

Steelers officials told the board they have had problems with the existing board, including times when they've lost the use of parts of the screen and in some cases feared it would not operate at all.

The new board also will enable 3,600 ticket holders who now are unable to see anything on the existing screen because of their viewing angle to get a clear picture. That will leave only about 400 fans without any ability to see the giant screen, which sits at the south end of the stadium.

Of the cost for the new board, $1.9 million will come from a SEA-overseen capital replacement reserve account funded by Heinz Field ticket surcharges. The Steelers will pay the rest.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06356/748254-66.stm

Atlanta Dan
12-22-2006, 07:38 AM
So the Steelers are putting in a new hi-def screen and keeping the low rent turf?

Glad to see they have their spending priorities in order.

HometownGal
12-22-2006, 07:55 AM
So the Steelers are putting in a new hi-def screen and keeping the low rent turf?

When I saw the title, Dan, those were my exact thoughts. Get your ducks in a row, Steelers FO and worry about that cesspool of a field instead of the scoreboard. Prior-i-tays!

Justin Otstott
12-22-2006, 08:02 AM
I have to agree....this is just plain stupid...we need some kinda turf!

Infamix
12-22-2006, 08:06 AM
Thats cool....but like everyone else said, turf?

tony hipchest
12-22-2006, 08:58 AM
lol @ "low rent turf". good point.

anyone read about the jumbotron jerry jones is putting in his stadium? it will be the largest in the world, weigh 100 tons and strech the span in between both 20 yard lines.

i should be able to see it here from NM if i get on my roof.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Well...that sucks. But the good news is that I am buying the old high-def screen and having it installed in my back yard......Superbowl Party at my house this year!!!!! :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

(those who withheld cashews from me..need not come...meanjoe, I'll see ya there...everyone bring a sidedish)

floodcitygirl
12-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Well...that sucks. But the good news is that I am buying the old high-def screen and having it installed in my back yard......Superbowl Party at my house this year!!!!! :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

(those who withheld cashews from me..need not come...meanjoe, I'll see ya there...everyone bring a sidedish)New turf>new screen, imo.

Rumor has it that Meanie got a big bag of cashews delivered to his door. Watching the game with Stillers, me, and our cashews or watching with you????? Hmmmm... who knows....could be a toss-up??? :hunch:

Livinginthe past
12-22-2006, 09:25 AM
I think we need a Government enquiry into this ongoing episode - Cashewgate or whatever :wink02:

NM

Infamix
lol @ "low rent turf". good point.

anyone read about the jumbotron jerry jones is putting in his stadium? it will be the largest in the world, weigh 100 tons and strech the span in between both 20 yard lines.

i should be able to see it here from NM if i get on my roof.

holy shit! thats huge...the new stadium concept looks nice too

klick81
Prioritize people, PRIORITIZE!!!

Livinginthe past
12-22-2006, 09:29 AM
So here's a question.

Why is Jerry Jones and the Cowboys spending so much on a huge, expensive screen?

I presume their stadium is sold out many times over?

I remember a discussion on this board about what a pain in the ass the flexi kickoff times were this year, for the average fan travelling to the game.

Seems to me that the big bucks are made from TV subscribers..who why the new big screens?

NM

SteelCityMan786
12-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Heinz Field getting new high-definition screen next year
Friday, December 22, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Heinz Field is going HD.

The city-Allegheny County Sports & Exhibition Authority yesterday approved the purchase of a new $2.4 million high-definition video display board for Heinz Field, to be ready for the 2007 season.

The Daktronics video board will replace the existing screen, which has been in use since the stadium opened in 2001 and which does not have high definition capabilities.

Steelers officials told the board they have had problems with the existing board, including times when they've lost the use of parts of the screen and in some cases feared it would not operate at all.

The new board also will enable 3,600 ticket holders who now are unable to see anything on the existing screen because of their viewing angle to get a clear picture. That will leave only about 400 fans without any ability to see the giant screen, which sits at the south end of the stadium.

Of the cost for the new board, $1.9 million will come from a SEA-overseen capital replacement reserve account funded by Heinz Field ticket surcharges. The Steelers will pay the rest.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06356/748254-66.stm

Nice to see a new screen coming in next year.

Atlanta Dan
12-22-2006, 09:56 AM
So here's a question.

Why is Jerry Jones and the Cowboys spending so much on a huge, expensive screen?

I remember a discussion on this board about what a pain in the ass the flexi kickoff times were this year, for the average fan travelling to the game.

Seems to me that the big bucks are made from TV subscribers..who why the new big screens?

NM

It is the same reason the neighbor down the street wants to impress everyone with the most expensive car and the 70" plasma TV - to put out the impression he is richer than everyone else.

tony hipchest
12-22-2006, 03:00 PM
It is the same reason the neighbor down the street wants to impress everyone with the most expensive car and the 70" plasma TV - to put out the impression he is richer than everyone else.which means dan snyder is soon to follow. i remembered where i read about it (i was off by 500 tons):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/12/17/week15/5.html

9. I think the thing that Jerry Jones really loves about his new toy -- the $1 billion Cowboys stadium in Arlington which is scheduled to open in 2009 -- is the biggest TV in the world. He loves a lot of things about it, but you know that everything's bigger in Texas, and Jerry had to have the best high-def TV in history. The scoreboard will be 60 yards long, from one 20-yard-line to the other, hung 100 feet above the turf, AND WEIGH 600 TONS. "Almost no matter where you sit in the stadium,'' a beaming Jerral Wayne Jones said in the Cowboys locker room Saturday night, "you'll be able to see the color of the players' eyes. Your brain won't know what to watch -- the action on the field, or the game on the scoreboard.''

im just guessing, but i bet Texas Instruments has something to do with this and it will be offered to jones at a very fair price. the exposure they get will move their products like hotcakes.

Elvis
12-22-2006, 03:16 PM
It is the same reason the neighbor down the street wants to impress everyone with the most expensive car and the 70" plasma TV - to put out the impression he is richer than everyone else.

:tt02: :thumbsup:
Good point...
The cowboys have got to get people there some how... I think that the Steelers could have really spent that money on something more important than the big screen though...:wave:

The_Professor
12-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Two things:

1 I do agree that with all this use the grass field sucks but I'm not yet ready to move to artificial turf: there is just something about playing on grass that I love.

2 This new screen is great ok... but the money donated by the gov't should go straight to the PENGUINS arena first! Talk about priorities! Get it straight Pittsburgh any amount of money going to stadiums right now should be ticketed for the team about to move out!

Stlrs4Life
12-22-2006, 08:54 PM

Exactly. 5 years on this scoreboard screen? Just goes to show ya, foreign made shit is junk, includinbg there cars. Sony, supposed to be the best.

stillers4me
12-22-2006, 08:56 PM
Maybe they figure the new screen will draw everyone's attention away from the crappy field........

steelerbackr4life
12-22-2006, 09:02 PM
1. Im for the new screen
2. After watching the G.B. game last night why cant the Steelers replace the turf in the middle of the field ? Even in all that rain last night it didnt seem nearly as bad as the mud at Heinz.

SteelCityMan786
12-22-2006, 09:35 PM
So here's a question.

NM

Jerry Jones wants to go bankrupt. LOL.

X-Terminator
12-22-2006, 09:58 PM

When I saw the title, Dan, those were my exact thoughts. Get your ducks in a row, Steelers FO and worry about that cesspool of a field instead of the scoreboard. Prior-i-tays!

You two beat me to it. But hey, at least they can see all of the slipping and injuries in crystal clear 1080p HD...

MJ5150
12-23-2006, 02:38 AM
Slow your roll people about the field. A new field is coming. You know it, I know it.

-Mike

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-23-2006, 05:45 AM
New turf>new screen, imo.

Rumor has it that Meanie got a big bag of cashews delivered to his door. Watching the game with Stillers, me, and our cashews or watching with you????? Hmmmm... who knows....could be a toss-up??? :hunch:

...and who would have been the deliverer of said cashews?....SURELY not the same person who was so adamant about my NOT getting any. Hmmm...must have been the bling!!

Atlanta Dan
12-23-2006, 07:16 AM
Slow your roll people about the field. A new field is coming. You know it, I know it.

-Mike

I wish you were correct but I have read nothing other than Rooney stubborness about being old school and having no intent to replace Heinz Cow Pasture.

stillers4me
12-23-2006, 07:21 AM

(those who withheld cashews from me..need not come...meanjoe, I'll see ya there...everyone bring a sidedish)

SuperBowl party at LLT's!!!! Cashews for everybody!!!:tt02:

Livinginthe past
12-23-2006, 07:42 AM
I wish you were correct but I have read nothing other than Rooney stubborness about being old school and having no intent to replace Heinz Cow Pasture.

When does it get to the stage where the NFL steps in and tells Rooney to change the field surface?

If I remember rightly (no guarantee of that) right after the Patriots replaced their turf the loophole that allowed midseason playing surface changes was closed.

This would mean Pittsburgh could only make those changes in the offseason when the field is probably looking at its best.

Fast Willie seems to enjoy it tough.....

NM

Livinginthe past
12-23-2006, 07:47 AM
I was at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte and I really think my home TV has a bigger screen than thier Jumbo. Everyone was making comments about not being able to see the replays. Anyhow, a new field would be nice too. Anyone think there are less injuries on real dirt because you slip instead of planting your foot and tearing internal ligaments? How much would it be to install new grass for every home game? seems like we could do that pretty easily.

There is talk of 'field turf' taking a while to fully bed in - and that players slipping being fairly common place to start with, although I dont think that has realy been the case at Gillette Stadium.

Slipping is probably more preferable to injuries where the leg jams - but players having no faith in an ability to make a cut doesn't make for good football, either.

NM

Atlanta Dan
12-23-2006, 08:26 AM
When does it get to the stage where the NFL steps in and tells Rooney to change the field surface?

If I remember rightly (no guarantee of that) right after the Patriots replaced their turf the loophole that allowed midseason playing surface changes was closed.

This would mean Pittsburgh could only make those changes in the offseason when the field is probably looking at its best.

Fast Willie seems to enjoy it tough.....

NM

LITP - did the Pats voluntarily put in the FieldTurf midseason or was there any indication the league office said to do something?

It was a tough goal to meet, but the grass turf at Gillette was the one field in the league that appeared to be worse than Heinz until the Pats ripped up the grass and put in FieldTurf.

Livinginthe past
12-23-2006, 08:38 AM
LITP - did the Pats voluntarily put in the FieldTurf midseason or was there any indication the league office said to do something?

It was a tough goal to meet, but the grass turf at Gillette was the one field in the league that appeared to be worse than Heinz until the Pats ripped up the grass and put in FieldTurf.

The league ordered them to replace the sod in october due to its poor condition - but only with more more sod.

There was incorrect belief through much of the NFL that it was illegal to change surfaces midway through a season.

The only reason that the Patriots and Steelers held out so long is they obvious believed/do believe that playing on a poor surface gives them a competitive advantage of some type.

So, to answer your question I believe it was a voluntary decision but influenced by the probability that the NFL would have them replacing the sod on such a regular basis that it would be quite an expensive exercise.

NM

steelerbackr4life
12-23-2006, 02:49 PM
I remember hearing on sirius before the game that the turf looked really bad which I think was the last game it was still there. that the pats already had plans on switching to the new turf next season because the leauge wouldnt allow mid season changes. Then the new turf was installed in time for the next home game.

83-Steelers-43
12-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Ed Bouchette's Daily Question
Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Question: The appearance of the playing field on Sunday was terrible, even after Pitt and the high school playoffs have long since left. Is there any chance that Coach Cowher will take that lousy field with him to North Carolina, and the Rooneys will go to Field Turf? -Mike Danek, Pittsburgh

BOUCHETTE: The surface at Heinz Field has nothing to do with the coach. Those decisions were made by the owners, who consulted everyone, including players and coaches. The Rooneys have been strong advocates of grass and Bill Cowher is on record as favoring it as well. The coach and the owners say the players prefer it. That's not the feedback I get from them in private. I believe eventually they will install some type of artificial surface, the sooner the better.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06361/749049-367.stm

Preacher
12-26-2006, 11:35 PM
I am really of the impression that grass is better... and torn up, muddy grass is even better. I don't know... but to me that is football.

Plus, It just seems to me that grass that will give away like that will also fail to hold a cleat... disallowing many of the knee injuries that have marred athletes careers.

Of course, this is just my opinion...

plenewken
12-27-2006, 10:36 AM

Very well put. That sorry excuse for a field needs a major overhaul. Sick and tired of that mud wrestling pit (no pun intended). Let's get state of the art turf once for good.

Donnie Iris
01-31-2007, 07:59 AM
But think of how great the new HD jumbotron will make the grass look! It will look like crap, but crap in HD!

p.s. I don't think they're going to touch the turf until it comes down to the final play of the season, we need a TD to win and get in the playoffs, and Willie breaks one and then bites it on the 5 yard line as time expires.

83-Steelers-43
01-31-2007, 08:18 AM
I'm anxious to see it next season. This season can't start soon enough.

Justin Otstott
01-31-2007, 08:31 AM
agree....I just hope they do something to the grass....

BOXCAR JOEY
01-31-2007, 08:39 AM
Sweet! Now when Im sitting in row X of the five two two section maybe the new big screen will distract some people from picking fights with steelers fans cuz they will be shock and awe by all the pretty colors of the new jumbovision.

Atlanta Dan
01-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Putting money into a new high def display at Heinz with the field in its current condition is no different than someone buying a new big screen HDTV when the roof needs fixed and the front yard is a weed patch.

Someone needs to get their priorities straight - maybe someone can get Tomlin's attention on this.

Blitzburgh
02-01-2007, 07:50 PM
I think getting a Hi-Def board over new turf is an excellent idea .... This way all those who insist the field isn't a POS can now get an up-close and personal view of how bad a kitty litter box the Steelers actually play on.

I realize the Rooney's wear glasses, but I'm certain the picture quality will be as such where even they will finally see we need FieldTurf.