PDA

View Full Version : 34 years ago today.....

4xSBChamps
12-23-2006, 06:37 AM
[Jack Fleming]
"..... and the ball is caught out-of the air by Franco Harris.....

..... I don't even-know where he CAME from....."
[/Jack Fleming]

I was sitting in my parents dinning-room, listening to the game on their console-mnodel stereo, in the days-before home-games being televised, with my Dad, holding his head in his hands.....

HometownGal
12-23-2006, 06:51 AM
[Jack Fleming]

[/Jack Fleming]

I was sitting in my parents dinning-room, listening to the game on their console-mnodel stereo, in the days-before home-games being televised, with my Dad, holding his head in his hands.....

I'll never forget that play as long as I live! :tt02: I was at TRS with my Dad that day and when the Immaculate Reception happened, there were hoardes of people who were in the process of leaving their seats to get a jump on traffic, as they thought the game was over. They stopped dead in their tracks in the aisles and pandamonium broke out! :banana:

Art Rooney didn't get to witness that incredible play first-hand, either, as I learned from going to see the play, The Chief. He was on his way down to his office and he heard the crowd going crazy and asked a passerby what happened!

:cheers: to Franco, that incredible team, Chuck Noll, the Rooneys and the Pittsburgh Steelers fans who all shared a part of that historical day! :tt02:

touchdownward
12-23-2006, 06:59 AM
That play, to this day, still makes John Madden's blood boil, and I love it. :pig:

LarryNJ
12-23-2006, 07:00 AM

I was a young 12 year old boy, also sitting in the living room with my dad listening to the game. I was more of a baseball fan back than and I just remember my father jumping up and down screaming. My father passed away 1-1/2 years later and that day is one of my fondest memories of him.

4xSBChamps
12-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Art Rooney didn't get to witness that incredible play first-hand, either, as I learned from going to see the play, The Chief. He was on his way down to his office and he heard the crowd going crazy and asked a passerby what happened!
4 years ago, I met a fellow who's dad was part of the Security Team at Three Rivers in those days, and he was with the Chief when it went-down, in the elevator.

Atlanta Dan
12-23-2006, 07:11 AM
I'll never forget that play as long as I live! :tt02: I was at TRS with my Dad that day and when the Immaculate Reception happened, there were hoardes of people who were in the process of leaving their seats to get a jump on traffic, as they thought the game was over. They stopped dead in their tracks in the aisles and pandamonium broke out! :banana:

:cheers: to Franco, that incredible team, Chuck Noll, the Rooneys and the Pittsburgh Steelers fans who all shared a part of that historical day! :tt02:

HTG

I was there at TRS as well, sitting upstairs with my Dad in end zone seats.

Total despair as Ken Stabler (Steelers D had driven Lamonica to the bench) scrambled for a 30 yard TD run with less than 2 minutes to go to put the Raiders up 7-6.

Figured we might as well stay to the bitter end when Franco comes running toward the end zone where we were sitting and scores.

Total pandemonium as the Steelers rise to power in the 1970s really kicked in that day.

Here is an excerpt from the Wikpedia description of the play:

The Pittsburgh Steelers trailed the Oakland Raiders 7-6, facing fourth-and-ten on their own 40-yard line with 22 seconds remaining in the game and no time outs. Head coach Chuck Noll called a pass play, 66 Circle Option, intended for receiver Barry Pearson[1], a rookie who was playing in his first NFL game. Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw, unable to find Pearson while avoiding two Raiders defenders, threw the football to the Raiders' 35-yard line, toward fullback John "Frenchy" Fuqua. Raiders safety Jack Tatum reached Fuqua just as the ball did. Tatum's hit knocked Fuqua to the ground. The ball sailed backward several yards, end over end. Steelers running back Franco Harris, after initially blocking on the play, had moved forward in case Bradshaw needed another eligible receiver. He scooped up the sailing ball just before it hit the ground, apparently off the tops of his shoes, and ran the rest of the way downfield to score the touchdown that gave the Steelers a 12-7 lead with five seconds remaining in the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Reception

HometownGal
12-23-2006, 07:20 AM
HTG

I was there at TRS as well, sitting upstairs with my Dad in end zone seats.

Total despair as Ken Stabler (Steelers D had driven Lamonica to the bench) scrambled for a 30 yard TD run with less than 2 minutes to go to put the Raiders up 7-6.

Figured we might as well stay to the bitter end when Franco comes running toward the end zone where we were sitting and scores.

Total pandemonium as the Steelers rise to power in the 1970s really kicked in that day.

Here is an excerpt from the Wikpedia description of the play:

The Pittsburgh Steelers trailed the Oakland Raiders 7-6, facing fourth-and-ten on their own 40-yard line with 22 seconds remaining in the game and no time outs. Head coach Chuck Noll called a pass play, 66 Circle Option, intended for receiver Barry Pearson[1], a rookie who was playing in his first NFL game. Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw, unable to find Pearson while avoiding two Raiders defenders, threw the football to the Raiders' 35-yard line, toward fullback John "Frenchy" Fuqua. Raiders safety Jack Tatum reached Fuqua just as the ball did. Tatum's hit knocked Fuqua to the ground. The ball sailed backward several yards, end over end. Steelers running back Franco Harris, after initially blocking on the play, had moved forward in case Bradshaw needed another eligible receiver. He scooped up the sailing ball just before it hit the ground, apparently off the tops of his shoes, and ran the rest of the way downfield to score the touchdown that gave the Steelers a 12-7 lead with five seconds remaining in the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Reception

Thanks for the memories of that play, Dan - it still sends shivers up my spine. :thumbsup: Dad and I sat in our usual seats in 646 and if I remember correctly, it was a bit nippy out there that day, back when Pittsburgh actually used to have winter. After Franco's miraculous play, I don't think there was a fan in the stadium who was cold! :tt02:

4xSBChamps
12-23-2006, 07:31 AM
..... if I remember correctly, it was a bit nippy out there that day, back when Pittsburgh actually used to have winter.....
If I'm not-mistaken, just 8 days later, when 'em Stillers hosted 'em Dolphs for the AFC Championship, I played street-hockey in the morning, then listened to that game, sitting on the porch in a T-shirt & shorts.....

Clemente got killed, later that same-night.....
:banging:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Ther are times that I feel honored to know some of you people. To be able to sit here and read comments from some of you who witnessed the most incredible play in NFL history just makes this thread surreal.

Thank you

floodcitygirl
12-23-2006, 08:49 AM
If I'm not-mistaken, just 8 days later, when 'em Stillers hosted 'em Dolphs for the AFC Championship, I played street-hockey in the morning, then listened to that game, sitting on the porch in a T-shirt & shorts.....

Clemente got killed, later that same-night.....
:banging: I was pretty young but I'll never forget the terrible sense of loss that I felt that day when news of Clemente's death came.

stillers4me
12-23-2006, 09:02 AM
I was pretty young but I'll never forget the terrible sense of loss that I felt that day when news of Clemente's death came.

It's weird, I don't remember anything about that football game, but I do remember Clemente being killed in the plane crash. Maybe it's becasue I had gone to a Pirate game and remember Roberto Clemente getting a standing ovation for just walking out on the field. My granddad was a huge Pirate fan. I think I still have the newspaper article in an old, yellowed out scrapbook somewhere. I was just barely a teenager at the time.

floodcitygirl
12-23-2006, 09:06 AM
It's weird, I don't remember anything about that football game, but I do remember Clemente being killed in the plane crash. Maybe it's becasue I had gone to a Pirate game and remember Roberto Clemente getting a standing ovation for just walking out on the field. My granddad was a huge Pirate fan. I think I have have the newspaper article in an old, yellowed out scrapbook somewhere. I was just barely a teenager at the time.I was thinking the same thing. I don't remember anything about that play until afterwards, hearing about it. My Dad was a huge Pirates fan. When Clemente was killed it felt like a loss in the family. It seemed like our whole town was in mourning.

4xSBChamps
12-23-2006, 09:08 AM
..... I don't remember anything about that football game.....
Bradshaw got hit-hard while trying to score, got knocked-woozy and fumbled the ball into the endzone, where Guard Gerry 'Moon' Mullins recovered for a TD:
Bradshaw later returned to action, and WR Al Young made a brilliant one-handed catch for a TD, but would later be diagnosed with a physical ailment (heart condidtion? ), and never play again:
the Stillers were suffereing from a team-wide flu-epidemic that week, and of-course, Larry Siepel ran untouched down-field on a fake-punt, and turned the tide of the game, which was as-close as the Dolphs came to losing that season.

stillers4me
12-23-2006, 09:10 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I don't remember anything about that play until afterwards, hearing about it. My Dad was a huge Pirates fan. When Clemente was killed it felt like a loss in the family. It seemed like our whole town was in mourning.

I shudder to think about how close we came to being a city in mourning again last summer...........

NV STEELERS 723
12-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Well,,,, at least I was born..but only nearing my lst B-Day....

BigDuke6
12-23-2006, 11:57 AM
It's weird, I don't remember anything about that football game, but I do remember Clemente being killed in the plane crash. Maybe it's becasue I had gone to a Pirate game and remember Roberto Clemente getting a standing ovation for just walking out on the field. My granddad was a huge Pirate fan. I think I have have the newspaper article in an old, yellowed out scrapbook somewhere. I was just barely a teenager at the time.

As Ive said on this blog before, Ive been a Steelers fan since that day. I was 11 years old and only saw it on the sports highlights on the 6 pm news. But that was it for me. Steelers for life since.
On the death of Clemente, as I said I was only 11 and grew up in Ottawa Canada. My Dad used to drive us to Montreal (2 hours) to see Expo games and I remember that summer we went to see the Pirates. It was funny because my Mom never came to the games with us but she came to that one. When I asked her why she came to that particular game she told me she just had to see Roberto Clemente play baseball. Thats the kind of player he was.

clevestinks
12-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Great reminder of a great Steelers moment!

Stlrs4Life
12-23-2006, 05:52 PM
I too was listening to the game on radio, my dad and uncle were at the game. And remember the following week when Clemente died, was a totally sad day in Pittsburgh, if not the saddest ever.

tony hipchest
12-23-2006, 06:11 PM
ive always found it ironic that the steelers 70's dynasty was born with the immaculate reception leading to an afc champ game against the greatest team ever (to that point, 14-0 dolphins), and their dynasty died in the early 80's in the afc champ game to the marino led dolphins.

it took 2 record seasons by the dolphins to usher in, and put the final nail in the coffin of the greatest footbal dynasty of all time.

Indy_Steelers
12-23-2006, 06:25 PM
This was just days before my first birthday.What a great 1st birthday gift.:party:
Here it is on my youtube site.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZi2ryWsShY

stillers4me
12-23-2006, 06:56 PM
This was just days before my first birthday.What a great 1st birthday gift.:party:
Here it is on my youtube site.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZi2ryWsShY

Wow!! Definitely the Steeleresque moment of it's day!! :thumbsup:

Last year's Indy playoff game ranks right up there.........at our house, we call it the Divine Inter-Ben-tion. :tt02:

BigDuke6
12-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Wow!! Definitely the Steeleresque moment of it's day!! :thumbsup:

Last year's Indy playoff game ranks right up there.........at our house, we call it the Divine Inter-Ben-tion. :tt02:

There has been soooo many over the years....Last years big vic in SB XL was only the latest in great memories for me...Being a Steelers fan is so special...Where I grew up all of my friends were Cowboys fans (except one who was a Vikes fan). Winning those two SBs against Dallas was certainly special when I was young. Last year when we won SB XL I had a huge party at our house and it was intense. Everyone (about 12-15 people) were standing the whole game....no-one sat at all...Once we had won the phone started ringing...remember I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada..... I got calls from as far away as Melbourne Australia...I got calls from old high-school chums I hadnt seen in over 20 years...Im such a Steeler fanatic everybody who ever knew me was atleast thinking of me that day....After the party finally broke up...my wife and I sat up to 4:00am....watching the replays on Sports Channel and just drinking it in and enjoying the moment...SPECIAL.

SteelCityMan786
12-23-2006, 09:43 PM
[Jack Fleming]

[/Jack Fleming]

One of the best plays in football that I never lived to see.