PDA

View Full Version : Next Year top five things to fix

Eztarget
12-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Next year ...

Yeah I know we have one meaningless game next week and by then it could be meaningless for the Bungals as well since they just finished botching up a simple extra point and lost to Denver. Right now Denver and the Jets control their own destinies ... but enough about this year we're officially done ...

Here are my top five ISSUES that need to be addressed this offseason:

ISSUE #1: Right now the most important thing about next year is Cowher. If he's staying (which I don't think he is) then he needs to RECOMMIT to the team. It was painfully clear that he was not all here this season and had one eye on North Carolina.

ISSUE #2: Our horrible offensive line. Against weaker teams they looked dominate, but against teams heading to the playoffs they were turnstiles.

ISSUE #5: Our pass defense (or lack there of). Teams knew they couldn't run against us so they just passed ... and succeeded. That can't happen.

ISSUE #4: Ben. Is this kid our future? I know he had a rough off-season and looked great some days then horrible others. I really think if you fix issue #2 then issue #4 will take care of itself.

ISSUE #5: Special teams. Several muffed kick-off and punts KILLED us this year. Can't happen next year if we are to be successful again.

Preacher
12-24-2006, 07:04 PM
I would have to add to that a tall receiver. We need ONE tall receiver to play opposite Ward and Holmes.

MACH1
12-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Need to add a good kicker to that list, 20yd punts aren't going to cut it.

JAG151
12-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Next year ...

Yeah I know we have one meaningless game next week and by then it could be meaningless for the Bungals as well since they just finished botching up a simple extra point and lost to Denver. Right now Denver and the Jets control their own destinies ... but enough about this year we're officially done ...

ISSUE #1: Right now the most important thing about next year is Cowher. If he's staying (which I don't think he is) then he needs to RECOMMIT to the team. It was painfully clear that he was not all here this season and had one eye on North Carolina.

ISSUE #2: Our horrible offensive line. Against weaker teams they looked dominate, but against teams heading to the playoffs they were turnstiles.

ISSUE #5: Our pass defense (or lack there of). Teams knew they couldn't run against us so they just passed ... and succeeded. That can't happen.

ISSUE #4: Ben. Is this kid our future? I know he had a rough off-season and looked great some days then horrible others. I really think if you fix issue #2 then issue #4 will take care of itself.

ISSUE #5: Special teams. Several muffed kick-off and punts KILLED us this year. Can't happen next year if we are to be successful again.

I agree 100% with everything you say, as well as the "tall" receiver.
And as long as we're adding things, I think the absence of Bettis proved bigger than thought at the beginning of the season, Parker will be great, but I think a "big" back is needed as well, to pound opponets later in the game. Is Davenport this back? We'll have to see, I think with the proper training with this idea could be good with him in the backfield as well. He certainly didn't have this thought process in Green Bay and I think he could do well there.

We'll get em next year!!

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

BigDuke6
12-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Next year ...

Agreed !!!!
Item #4 is a no-brainer IMO. Ben is the future and the present.
Issue 1 is the biggest issue.
Issue 5 will be resolved once Issue 1 is as I'm sure the new guy will bring a new ST coach.

SteelCzar76
12-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Next year ...

Well said. Except i'd rank improving the secondary right behind resolving the possible quandry at head Coach. Mcfadden and Smith show promise. But all of the others that are not Troy are average at best (and on the border of being "Clown Shoes")
I'm also not willing to lay ALL of the blame for Ben's shenanigans on the O-line. Yes,... they need to tighten up.
But they aren't responsible for a weak arm, poorly thrown balls, slow release and inability to properly diagnose coverage. No quarterback can perform without protection,.....but let's be honest, protection is the very least of what's suspect with Bens game. (We just had a physical "ball control" ground game to mask this his first two seasons)

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

MJ5150
12-24-2006, 08:57 PM
ISSUE #1: Right now the most important thing about next year is Cowher. If he's staying (which I don't think he is) then he needs to RECOMMIT to the team.

I'm going to assume this is an accurate comment about BC not being committed to the team. With that in mind......

Go away Bill. I don't want someone around coaching my team who needs to "re-commit" himself to the franchise. You are either on board or you are not!

-Mike

fansince'76
12-24-2006, 09:12 PM
No quarterback can perform without protection,.....but let's be honest, protection is the very least of what's suspect with Bens game. (We just had a physical "ball control" ground game to mask this his first two seasons)

Yep, that explains why we beat the #1, #2, and #3 seeds in the playoffs last season on the road with Ben primarily throwing the ball, and our "ball control" back (Bettis) not even starting.

Preacher
12-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Yep, that explains why we beat the #1, #2, and #3 seeds in the playoffs last season on the road with Ben primarily throwing the ball, and our "ball control" back (Bettis) not even starting.

Yep. Go back and look at the stats. We actually won by Ben THROWING the ball in the first half. Then, we starting running the ball more. The big difference, was that our D would actually show up at times, which they did not this year. I think the biggest thing, as I said last year, is that we need to figure out a better "D" scheme.

SteelCzar76
12-24-2006, 09:26 PM

Blitzkrieg baby boy,....caught them all of guard by passing EARLY. This was effective because they were all prepared for a heavyweight fight in the trenches. With the exception of SeaGulls.(whom wisely didn't buy into it)
How was that Superbowl passing offense ?

"I can't believe he threw it"
Champ Bailey

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

fansince'76
12-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Blitzkrieg baby boy,....caught them all of guard by passing EARLY. This was effective because they were all prepared for a heavyweight fight in the trenches. With the exception of SeaGulls.(whom wisely didn't buy into it)
How was that Superbowl passing offense ?

"I can't believe he threw it"
Champ Bailey

Sorry, if he had that "weak" of an arm, and truly can't read a defense, it wouldn't have mattered, not at a playoff level - especially against the Broncos, who completely shut down that "strong running game" that "covered his inadequacies" so well in his first two years. And as far as the Superbowl goes, he didn't single-handedly lose the game for us, unlike O'Donnell - another one of the endless parade of chumps we had manning the position in the 22 years between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger.

SteelCzar76
12-24-2006, 09:51 PM
And as far as the Superbowl goes, he didn't single-handedly lose the game for us, unlike O'Donnell - another one of the endless parade of chumps we had manning the position in the 22 years between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger.

But he did give his very best effort to FUBAR us. Fortune just happened to smile upon us with a "big" run by Willie, a timely turnover and a Td pass on a "gadget play" that worked perfectly. (Thrown by a reciever) (Once again,.....SURPRISE)

fansince'76
12-24-2006, 10:00 PM
But he did give his very best effort to FUBAR us. Fortune just happened to smile upon us with a "big" run by Willie, a timely turnover and a Td pass on a "gadget play" that worked perfectly. (Thrown by a reciever) (Once again,.....SURPRISE)

Yeah, like keeping the one play alive on third-and-a-mile and hitting Ward on a perfect throw to make it first and goal? You're right, we need to draft another QB right away. Whatever.

SteelCityMan786
12-24-2006, 10:09 PM
i think O line is the big one to fix after making sure Cowher wishes to stay.

Preacher
12-24-2006, 10:18 PM

Like keeping the ball and running a bootleg for a first down, when he was supposed to hand it off. Bettis would have been stuffed... Ben took it around the end.

Oh well...

Typical Steeler fans... it is ALWAYS the quarterback's fault. You would think we learned our lesson after pretty much making Bradshaw hate the city and team for 20+ years.

What a shame, being known just as much for our treatment of franchise QB's as for our SB's.

SteelCzar76
12-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Yeah, like keeping the one play alive on third-and-a-mile and hitting Ward on a perfect throw to make it first and goal? You're right, we need to draft another QB right away. Whatever.

LOL,....are you serious 76 ? C'mon,... there's no way to justify "Our Qb (who's JOB it is to throw the ball well and make the correct reads) is the second coming of Bradshaw,......as long as he does'nt have upwards of 20 attempts " (Huh ?)
There's no way to justify throwing upwards of 18 picks through 15 games. No matter how you try to chop it up,......2 + 2,... never equals 5 anywhere.
Is he (Ben) Malone, Bubby, Neil, Kent, kordell or Tommy at their worst. ? MAYBE not.
But his game does bear a striking resemblance to theirs.( LOL)
As i said before,.....all the lipstick in the world. Does not make a Hyena "Miss America":sofunny:
This is not personal,.......just REAL.

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

fansince'76
12-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Typical Steeler fans... it is ALWAYS the quarterback's fault. You would think we learned our lesson after pretty much making Bradshaw hate the city and team for 20+ years.

Well said, Preacher. You know why Bradshaw really never shows up to the old timer events? THAT is why, people.

fansince'76
12-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Is he (Ben) Malone, Bubby, Neil, Kent, kordell or Tommy at their worst. ? MAYBE not.
But his game does bear a striking resemblance to theirs.( LOL)

Sorry, I guess we'll just agree to disagree on this one, then. I also remember Bradshaw throwing 3 picks in SB XIV, but we still won, and it was all good.

SteelCzar76
12-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Oh well...

What a shame, being known just as much for our treatment of franchise QB's as for our SB's.

C'mon Preach,.....it's not about "bashing" a QB for personal reasons. It's about accountability. If the shoe fits,....wear it.
This applies to EVERYONE, in every walk of life,.....in every profession. (You, myself and everyone here included)

fansince'76
12-24-2006, 10:32 PM
It's about accountability. If the shoe fits,....wear it.
This applies to EVERYONE, in every walk of life,.....in every profession. (You, myself and everyone here included)

I agree - 14-0 and an AFC Championship game appearance as a rookie with a team that finished 6-10 the year before. Won SB coming from the 6th seed in the AFC the year following. But Ben had nothing to do with it. OK.

Preacher
12-24-2006, 10:40 PM
C'mon Preach,.....it's not about "bashing" a QB for personal reasons. It's about accountability. If the shoe fits,....wear it.

I know it is isn't about personal reasons. But what people don't remember is that it is VERY personal for the people on the receiving end. Now, if Ben threw 3 picks AGAIN... while having good protection, then I would agree. But the simple fact is that Ben pretty much fixed the pick problem... even when the O line didn't fix thier turnstyle scheme of protection today. So no, I don't think the shoe fits.

I think it is ben bashing because it is always easier to blame the QB, then to realize that there are much BIGGER problems to face. Our O'line needs to be fixed. We need to scheme better on D'fense. We need better CB's. And we need a head coach with his head still in the game.

No, Ben is the LEAST of our worries right now. But like I said, it is easier to blame Ben then look deeper at the issues at hand. It seems like it is our favorite pastime.

SteelCzar76
12-24-2006, 10:40 PM
Sorry, I guess we'll just agree to disagree on this one, then. I also remember Bradshaw throwing 3 picks in SB XIV, but we still won, and it was all good.

Duely noted. And it's all good Fam. (I can appreciate viewpoints that may not be my own)
I sincerely hope your boy is whom you believe him to be. After all,... that would benefit this franchise considerably.
As for now,......i just can't give him that kind of Glory.

fansince'76
12-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Duely noted. And it's all good Fam. (I can appreciate viewpoints that may not be my own)
I sincerely hope your boy is whom you believe him to be. After all,... that would benefit this franchise considerably.
As for now,......i just can't give him that kind of Glory.

I can understand your concerns about him being a possible flash in the pan as well. I have had that thought cross my mind more than once this year myself, to be honest. I'm holding out that he'll turn it back around next year. As long as he stays off the bike, is all I ask.

SteelCzar76
12-24-2006, 10:58 PM
I know it is isn't about personal reasons. But what people don't remember is that it is VERY personal for the people on the receiving end. Now, if Ben threw 3 picks AGAIN... while having good protection, then I would agree. But the simple fact is that Ben pretty much fixed the pick problem... even when the O line didn't fix thier turnstyle scheme of protection today. So no, I don't think the shoe fits.

I think it is ben bashing because it is always easier to blame the QB, then to realize that there are much BIGGER problems to face. Our O'line needs to be fixed. We need to scheme better on D'fense. We need better CB's. And we need a head coach with his head still in the game.

No, Ben is the LEAST of our worries right now. But like I said, it is easier to blame Ben then look deeper at the issues at hand. It seems like it is our favorite pastime.

Preach,.....it COULDN'T be our "favorite pastime",.........if these cats simply didn't play so poorly,.. so often. (Often a crucial times)
As far as our other areas of "need" are concerned (especially regarding the secondary),....i acknowledged as much a long time ago.
If you have played football than you must realize,....that poor play at the "skill" positions is JUST as detrimental to your success as failing in all other aspects.
Bottom Line,.....if your going to give the "buisness" to Coach, his staff, the O-line, the front seven, the secondary, Spt's and Wr's. Then render Ben his JUST DUE as well.

Preacher
12-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Preach,.....it COULDN'T be our "favorite pastime",.........if these cats simply didn't play so poorly,.. so often. (Often a crucial times)
As far as our other areas of "need" are concerned (especially regarding the secondary),....i acknowledged as much a long time ago.
If you have played football than you must realize,....that poor play at the "skill" positions is JUST as detrimental to your success as failing in all other aspects.
Bottom Line,.....if your going to give the "buisness" to Coach, his staff, the O-line, the front seven, the secondary, Spt's and Wr's. Then render Ben his JUST DUE as well.

I would give Ben his just due. However, I just don't see were I can place the blame on him. Sure, he made mistakes, but not above any degree I would expect from any decent QB. I see the Ben the same way I see Troy being burned twice for touchdowns today. I am not going give Troy the 'business' for that. Willie Parker didn't even make 50 yards a number of times this year... but busted out for over 200 a few times. I am not going to give Willie the 'business' for that either. I see Ben's performances the same way. Yeah, he needs to play better next year. But my guestamation is that 60 percent of that will be his O line playing better.

BTW... I am not directing these posts at you or anyone IN PARTICULAR. It is more of a general comment about the way Steelers nation treats its QBs.

SteelCzar76
12-24-2006, 11:12 PM
I would give Ben his just due. However, I just don't see were I can place the blame on him. Sure, he made mistakes, but not above any degree I would expect from any decent QB. I see the Ben the same way I see Troy being burned twice for touchdowns today. I am not going give Troy the 'business' for that. Willie Parker didn't even make 50 yards a number of times this year... but busted out for over 200 a few times. I am not going to give Willie the 'business' for that either. I see Ben's performances the same way. Yeah, he needs to play better next year. But my guestamation is that 60 percent of that will be his O line playing better.

BTW... I am not directing these posts at you or anyone IN PARTICULAR. It is more of a general comment about the way Steelers nation treats its QBs.

LMAO,... I feel you Preach. Let's just look forward to righting the ship for next Season. :helmet:

Preacher
12-25-2006, 12:18 AM
LMAO,... I feel you Preach. Let's just look forward to righting the ship for next Season. :helmet:

Next season... On the bright side...

Willie Colon?? Anthony Smith?? Ben to Holmes?? Kemo??

I think we have a LOT to look forward too!!!

God bless you and everyone on Christmas!!!

Elvis
12-25-2006, 06:03 AM
I'm going to assume this is an accurate comment about BC not being committed to the team. With that in mind......

Go away Bill. I don't want someone around coaching my team who needs to "re-commit" himself to the franchise. You are either on board or you are not!

-Mike

I agree 100%... if Bill doesnt know or not wether he wants to be here and if he isnt still committed to our team then move on and let someone take over who is... I love Bill but if his heart is in Carolina with his wife and children then so be it and he needs to move on...

Burghman
12-25-2006, 07:24 AM
I think the steelers will be fine next year. They missed some key players this year,Antwan, Kimo,Bettis and Hope.They need to learn how to play without them.O-line was inconsistant,running game was inconsistant and on defense they need to find a good pass rusher.as for the secondary they could use at least one shut down back.Overall they played one game like champs and the next game like cellar dwellers.

Stilliz
12-25-2006, 07:57 PM
issue #4 should be issue #1 - Ben was lost out there this year. 25 INTS ???? make your excuses for him though, see alot of that around here.

Preacher
12-25-2006, 08:30 PM
issue #4 should be issue #1 - Ben was lost out there this year. 25 INTS ???? make your excuses for him though, see alot of that around here.

:pity: Someone else who thinks Ben plays all 11 positions

OneForTheToe
12-25-2006, 09:32 PM
I would be more concerned about Ben if he hadn't shown flashes of his old self. Yes, overrall he had a poor season. However, he did show flashes that give me confidence for the future. Ben was on fire in the Atlanta game - before the injury, obviously. In addition, even though he played poorly for the first half of the second Clevland game, he was brilliant at the end. Proving to me that he is still capable. Finally, he was cutting down on the int.'s during this mini streak until we ran into the Ravens.

I'm not making excuses for him - just looking at the facts.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-26-2006, 10:05 AM
SteelCzar I usually enjoy reading your posts and respect your opinion. I know that Ben isn't a favorite of yours. But come on man don't you think all that he has been through this year from a health stand point factor in to his poor play this year? I agree his arm was weaker at times this year then in his first two years. But Ben lost alot of weight and strength at the begining of this season. So I really think that played alot into his poor play. He did start to get on a roll against the Chiefs and the Falcons. Then suffered a concussion in the Falcons game setting him back again.

You can say all you want about that ball control offense he had his first two years. But every QB under Bill Cowher had a ball control offense and very good defense but still didn't get it done in the play-offs. Ben did get it done in the play-offs last year except the Super Bowl. So I'm willing to cut Ben some slack and hope he rebounds to top form next year.

SteelCzar76
12-26-2006, 10:43 AM
SteelCzar I usually enjoy reading your posts and respect your opinion. I know that Ben isn't a favorite of yours. But come on man don't you think all that he has been through this year from a health stand point factor in to his poor play this year? I agree his arm was weaker at times this year then in his first two years. But Ben lost alot of weight and strength at the begining of this season. So I really think that played alot into his poor play. He did start to get on a roll against the Chiefs and the Falcons. Then suffered a concussion in the Falcons game setting him back again.

You can say all you want about that ball control offense he had his first two years. But every QB under Bill Cowher had a ball control offense and very good defense but still didn't get it done in the play-offs. Ben did get it done in the play-offs last year except the Super Bowl. So I'm willing to cut Ben some slack and hope he rebounds to top form next year.

What up little brother. I said in a another thread i wouldn't touch this topic again. I'm kinda growing weary of repeating the same things.
So i'll just say this,.......regardless of the charges or reasons for such charges. This season is now the past. (from a Championship standpoint,... we still have a beating to throw the Bungals)
What's important now is how we go about solving our various onfield shortcomings and off field distractions. This goes not only for Ben,.. but the entire roster, coaching staff and front office.
You may think i'm a little "heavy handed" in regards to my assessment of Ben's performance this season. But i don't think i was anymore "real" than i would have been regarding anyone else. (Or even myself for that matter)
Some call it simple critique,.... some say it's "tough love". But i like to think of it as,......Motivation. (Never lose your edge) LOL

clevestinks
12-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Five things to fix?

1. O-line needs attention in the draft or free agency. asap
2. our wr corp needs a good off season, and a full training camp with Ben.
3. We still need a shutdown corner, I think we have needed this since we had Woodson,
4. We need a new LB, this used to be a strength, now i`m not sure we have any depth or up and comings.
5. Jeff Reed makes way to much money to be just descent, I say GONE.

These are in no certain order. And this is just my five of ten things that need addressed

Black@Gold Forever32
12-26-2006, 11:32 AM
My top five things to address.

1. The pass rush-Where has it gone? The Steelers need to inject some youth into the LB core bigtime. Lets face the OLB are not getting it done a consistent basis.

2. The Oline-I think a new center would be great and a change needs to be made both at RG and RT.

3. A tall physical WR-I said physical and thats means no soft Plax types. Plax played like he was 5-11 and didn't use his height to his advantage since he was soft. If the Steelers could get a tall physical WR that would help greatly. I like the WR core overall but a tall physical WR would be nice.

4. Fix the Special Teams-I'm tired of Jeff Reeds short kickoffs. Chris Gardocki needs to go as well. The Steelers still need to find a return for punts and kickoffs. Hopefully Willie Reid stays healthy and becomes that guy. Of course the coverage units need some adjusting.

5. Use Heath Miller-He could be such a weapon but is being wasted.

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-26-2006, 12:15 PM
1).Why is it BC is the only coach that is being hung out to dry here?? I'm not saying he isn't responsible BUT what about some of the blame being put on his assistants?? Maybe it's time for LeBeau to move on after watching,this really hurts to say this,the Ratbird D manhandle us . Maybe the defensive game has moved past him. How many times did we watch teams go the length of the field on us??
As far as the Oline play who's responsibility is it to make the adjustments during the game? Grimm is responsible to make sure these guys know their assignments, when often times they "looked like a turnstiles".
The offense came out with the same attitude every week, run the ball first,then pass when needed. Maybe if we weren't so predictable on O,things would have been different. Whiz is responsible for the game plan.
2) Another threat at wide receiver. Holmes will be better but until he is a consistent threat to catch and hold onto the ball,opposing defenses know if they can shut down Hines our passing game is pretty pedestrian. It would be nice to have a tall one, but give me another receiver with the heart and desire of Hines.
3) ST need a major overhaul. Gardocki USED to be great,but even the brownies let him go!!Reed, I love his attitude but I hate the length of kickoffs and inconsistent accuracy on FGs.
4). Improved play at QB. Ben is capable is playing better and will. He had a fairy tale start to his career, now let's see how he comes back after some adversity. IMHO he will come back just fine, after reading that he wants to spend more time with the WR in the off season, thats' a huge first step. He is admitting that some of the offense lackluster performance falls to him and is accepting the responsibility, a sign of leadership.
5) The FIELD!!! That field needs major help, it is a disgrace to have professional team play on a sandlot field. Denver had a ton of snow and from seeing their game you would have never known it except for the snowbanks on the sidelines.
there's my :twocents:

vasteeler
12-26-2006, 12:24 PM
1 HEAD COACH
2 SECONDARY
3 PASS RUSH
4 CONSISTANT RUNNING GAME
5 GIANT VIDIOTRON:dang:
As for Ben I think the success he has had some people have forgotten this was only his third year Ben WILL be great

Preacher
12-26-2006, 04:02 PM
Yeah, he will be great. Not to mention that most other great QB's in the league REALLY took off thier fourth and fifth year.

Hey, if THIS was his sophmore slump? Still putting up the numbers he did, minus the interceptions, yeah, I will take it!

After all, With a QB in a Sophmore slump. we STILL coulda made the playoffs.

DACEB
12-26-2006, 08:11 PM
1. Offensive line, The o-line was manhandled by the top teams. If you fix that you have more consistancy in the run game, more consistency in the pass game (save Ben from all the haters) and you free up Miller to catch more passes (which everybody wants).
2. Defensive line, As I have stated in many posts, the D-line is the staple of the 3-4 defense and any defense for that matter. Dominant D-line masks many weaknesses.
3. Big back / Big receiver, Whichever is available when we're on the board. I think a big back is more important for our style of football. If you fix #1 you fix alot on the offensive side of the ball. I also think some hard work in the offseason by Ben and the receivers will go a long way next year, but a big receiver would be nice.
4. DB, Losing Coclough left us thin, and Ikes play left us wondering. A corner is a necessity.
5. LB, We're not getting any younger and we really need more depth and this could help our STs also. A real monster ie Merriman would be insane.

MommyDoc
01-14-2007, 08:37 PM
One point about Ben I want to make, as a physician who has seen people with his kind of injuries AFTER their initial recovery periods (I'm an FP)--most people with his type of injury, even after the surgery he had, will have problems with their depth perception which will persist for MONTHS and possibly be permanent unless the patient is persistent with their ocular PT.

Just my little opinion and insight.

Showdaddeee
01-15-2007, 06:29 PM
I'll have to go with the Preacher on this one and say we need a big/tall WR with some speed. Maybe a Randy Moss, that might be there on draft day trade?