PDA

View Full Version : Ron Dayne A Steeler Type Back?

Elvis
12-25-2006, 07:07 AM
Now, I know that I have not got to see him play much this year but the last few weeks given the chance that he has been given in Houston he looks pretty much like the Bus did at one time.. powerful... and pretty good feet ...
What Ya'll think about this?
I Like It....:wave:

touchdownward
12-25-2006, 07:17 AM
I could be wrong, but I think he's an inconsistent fumble machine.
Coming out of Wisconsin, he was supposed to be the thunder to Tiki Barber's lightning and for some reason it didn't work out of Dayne.

Stlrs4Life
12-25-2006, 10:10 AM
I don't want him, I want a young Bettis type outta College.

BigDuke6
12-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Ron Dayne is really a Steeler type back. He had a wonderful year as the 3rd back with Denver last year and is wasting away in Houston. I've questioned before if we shouldnt have given him a look. Mike Anderson as well. Big, tough plodder is exactly what we need as a change of pace for Fast Willie

boLT fan
12-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Ron Dayne is the biggest ***** big back i've ever seen. He doesn't break a whole lot of tackles and gets taken down on the first hit. You definatly don't want him.

MACH1
12-25-2006, 12:23 PM
NO......Ohhhh did I say hell NO

Livinginthe past
12-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Ron Dayne is a total bust - everyone runs on the Colts these days.

150 yards and he had a sprained ankle - thats just an indicator regarding the opposition than any great comment on his ability.

NM

fansince'76
12-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Nope, don't want him. He's a bust - he couldn't even make it in the Broncos' system. If a RB can't make it in Shanahan's RB-friendly system, he's not going to make it anywhere, period.

Infamix
12-25-2006, 04:58 PM
You hate Willie don't you? This isn't the first thread I've seen you start where you mentioned another runningback replacing him. Anyway, Dayne is a bust. Like LITP said anyone can run on the colts. fansince also mentioned that he couldn't run behind the Broncos line, which makes him even worse. My kitten can run behind that zone blocking line for crying out loud.

X-Terminator
12-25-2006, 06:38 PM
You hate Willie don't you? This isn't the first thread I've seen you start where you mentioned another runningback replacing him. Anyway, Dayne is a bust. Like LITP said anyone can run on the colts. fansince also mentioned that he couldn't run behind the Broncos line, which makes him even worse. My kitten can run behind that zone blocking line for crying out loud.

In this case, I don't think he wants to replace Willie, he wants to pick up a viable power back who can pick up those 3rd and 1's and hammer opposing defenses while being able to spell Willie for a few series, like the Giants do with Brandon Jacobs. Even I think that is an area of need - Davenport clearly is not the answer, and neither is Dayne.

SteelCzar76
12-25-2006, 06:57 PM

Exactly. There's only one back in the league that perfectly fits our mold (in regards to POWER),...that's L.J.
But somehow,......i don't get the impression the Chiefs would part ways with him no matter what we put on the table. LOL
Dayne is no more the answer than "Dookie". He's what you'd call in boxing a "Journeyman".
And though you have your "exceptions" that overcome the odds,.....more often than not,....the RULE tends to make it's application painfully known.

Disclaimer: This post is not meant to dispute my firm belief that Willie is "something like Ladanian Tomlinson",.....in any shape form or fashion. LOL:helmet:

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

FLSteeler
12-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Now, I know that I have not got to see him play much this year but the last few weeks given the chance that he has been given in Houston he looks pretty much like the Bus did at one time.. powerful... and pretty good feet ...
What Ya'll think about this?
I Like It....:wave:

Do more home work !! No to Dayne.... :thmbdown: :rocket:

"To beat the enemy you must know thy enemy"

NV STEELERS 723
12-25-2006, 08:17 PM
In this case, I don't think he wants to replace Willie, he wants to pick up a viable power back who can pick up those 3rd and 1's and hammer opposing defenses while being able to spell Willie for a few series, like the Giants do with Brandon Jacobs. Even I think that is an area of need - Davenport clearly is not the answer, and neither is Dayne.

Turner from SD is the answer though...he would be starting there if some guy named LT wasn't there!

SteelCzar76
12-25-2006, 08:40 PM
Turner from SD is the answer though...he would be starting there if some guy named LT wasn't there!

Nice call with Turner. He's a "motor" guy that runs "bigger" than his size would have one think he was capable of. Hmmmm,......is he a F/A this year ?

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Stillers#1
12-26-2006, 02:13 AM
How can we say Najah isnt the answer, he didn't get much of a chance, I say bring in TJ duckett and let him and Najeh go at it in trainging camp.

Preacher
12-26-2006, 03:08 AM
I say we bring in Najeh, Duckett, Dayne and Staley, and have them fight to the death with their bare hands in the first week of training camp, winner gets the power-back job. That at least would be more interesting than the draft.

Leave Staley out of that!!

Livinginthe past
12-26-2006, 07:29 AM

I dont think Turner would come to Pittsburgh to be an understudy to a UDFA after being the an understudy to one of the greatest RB's of all time?

Yes I know Willie P. has outperformed that title, but think of Turners ego.

If Turner doesnt feel that LT is going to make way for him in SD through natural means sometime soon, then he will leave and be a starter on another team.

NM

jbattenhouse
12-26-2006, 07:38 AM
Michael Turner is a RFA this year, and SD will make his tender worth a #1 pick for compensation, so forget that. If a deal was made for him, then he would be the feature back, not FWP. Also, he is not going to want to come and be a backup again - he will want to be the feature back, which some team would likely do.

Dayne is not the answer either. If he cannot run in Denver's scheme, there is no way he would make it with the Steeler's marginal OL.

If the Steelers want to stick with FWP as the feature back, then a power runner like a Duckett type (not necessarily Duckett) is needed for some short yardage/breather situations. But first, the Steelers need some upgrades to the OL and maybe some new blocking schemes as well.

HometownGal
12-26-2006, 08:29 AM
How can we say Najah isnt the answer, he didn't get much of a chance.

This is where I'm at, as well. Najeh was signed well after the season started and had to learn the playbook somewhat before he was utilized. From the little I saw of his utilization, he didn't look all that bad to me - he should be given a chance to compete at camp with hopefully a power back we can pick up in the draft.

clevestinks
12-26-2006, 09:49 AM
Nope, don't want him. He's a bust - he couldn't even make it in the Broncos' system. If a RB can't make it in Shanahan's RB-friendly system, he's not going to make it anywhere, period.

Nope I dont want him either! The big pounding back are not the norm anymore, defense are looking for faster more athletic players all over the field, give me a descent size fast back in todays NFL, I think Willie will be fine, problem was nobody was scared of our passing game this season, so he got keyed on!

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-26-2006, 12:27 PM
How can we say Najah isnt the answer, he didn't get much of a chance,

I agree I haven't seen anything that indicates the he couldn't be an excellent compliment to Willie. Turner would be nice but IMHO is another FWP who is not going to want to be a backup again.

boLT fan
12-26-2006, 12:33 PM
NO! You can't have Turner... IT'S MINES!

Did I say Ron Dayne wasn't a Steeler type back? Oooh I meant Turner. Ya, he's horrible you don't want him. :party:

You want Ron Dayne, yep, not Turner.

SteelerFanInCA
12-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Nope I dont want him either! The big pounding back are not the norm anymore, defense are looking for faster more athletic players all over the field, give me a descent size fast back in todays NFL, I think Willie will be fine, problem was nobody was scared of our passing game this season, so he got keyed on!

I think you hit it right on the nail with that cleve. Our passing game was not really feared by anyone. Being one dimensional didn't sit well for Willie's cause.

BigDuke6
12-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Ron Dayne is a good solid plodding type back. He sure as shit wouldnt hurt us.

OneForTheToe
12-26-2006, 04:08 PM
If the Steelers can work out a contract with Najah, I look for him to see a lot more playing time next year. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers go for a big back in the middle to lower rounds of the draft.

I do wonder if Veron will be around next year. He has been asset over the years. Naturally, a great depends on who the is the HC. Any new coach (from inside or outside the organization) will have their favorites and want to make some changes. Plus, Najah can play special teams.

Everything is wait and see.

sumo
12-26-2006, 04:45 PM

Is your kitten signed yet for next year? Dayne is big and a wuss - not a good combo.. Najeh and Kuhn - I would like to see them after another full camp and preseason -- remember all the news when we picked up Jerome? - he was coming off his worst season as a Ram - a lot of the talking heads were mixed on how he would do in Pittsburgh - we have a RB friendly system too - a big tough back with good work ethics can have success here - ie Kuhn, Davenport, and maybe 1 from the draft - however, I think we should use our 1st round pick on help for the Defense in the secondary...

Elvis
12-26-2006, 05:10 PM

:sofunny: Name probably fits ya... I dont hate Willie... he is a pretty good back. But we neeed a power back to come in late in the game and get the tough grind it out yards... Najeh is Not the guy..maybe Kuhn, I've already said he could be the next Allstot...:jawdrop: :wave:

MJ5150
12-26-2006, 05:22 PM
I want to see more of Davenport before we kick him to the curb.

Also realize that I immediately bond with any player who puts on a Steeler helmet. I'm working on viewing things with less of my heart, and more of my brains. I appreciate a few of you around here that are able to do this better than I can.

-Mike

DACEB
12-26-2006, 05:47 PM

Agreed, bring in the kid from Louisville!! What's his name? The one that broke his leg, Smith?