PDA

View Full Version : Ben: "We will get better."

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
12-25-2006, 03:32 PM
from our friend at profootball.com
CHANGES COMING IN THE 'BURGH?

In the wake of a 31-7 thumping at home against the Baltimore Ravens, Steelers chairman Dan Rooney has hinted that there will be changes come 2007 in areas other than the roster of players.

"The players? Yeah," Rooney said, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "We need some players, obviously, but I think we're going to be able to get some."

What about the coaching staff?

Says Rooney: "I have nothing to say about that at this time."

Though it's highly unlikely that Rooney would terminate head coach Bill Cowher, Rooney's words could be interpreted as a reflection of exasperation with the distraction that Cowher's uncertain status for 2007 has created in 2006. And that could be, we believe, contributing to the reports that the Rooneys want Cowher to make a quick decision about 2007. In addition to the reality that the a search for a new coach should start sooner rather than later, there clearly will be none of the Lord Favre nonsense in Pittsburgh, and that the Steelers organization won't allow itself to be held hostage while Cowher ponders whether the franchise is worthy of another year of his services.

Rooney's comments also could be a hint that the presumptive favorites to replace Cowher -- offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm -- might not be the locks that many thought they would be, since they are part and parcel of the team's significant regression in 2006.

Our guess? Keep a close eye on Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, a minority candidate whose hiring by Rooney would breathe extra credibility in the rule that carries the family name. Moreover, Rivera is a guy who can bring the Cover 2 defense back to the place where it blossomed more than 30 years ago.

Of course, why hire Rivera when his boss, Lovie Smith, might be available? There's a belief in some circles that, unless Smith gets a quick and meaningful extension from the Bears after the 2006 season ends, he could try to force his way out of town.

From the tribune.... http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_485677.html

What about Cowher?
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, December 25, 2006

In the end, they failed to hold up their end, but Dan Rooney wasn't holding it against his Steelers after the Ravens spoiled Christmas Eve and stole the Steelers' playoff dreams.

Admittedly "very disappointed and down" upon being eliminated from postseason contention, Rooney was asked if the Steelers were still comprised of championship stock despite the 7-8 record they will drag to Cincinnati for the meaningless regular-season finale on New Year's Eve.

"The players? Yeah," Rooney said. "We need some players, obviously, but I think we're going to be able to get some."

The coaching staff, apparently, is another matter entirely.

Stlrs4Life
12-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Good read on ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2708178

Preacher
12-25-2006, 04:51 PM
It's obvious the Steelers -- and their quarterback -- need some help.
"We need some players, and I think we'll be able to get some," team chairman Dan Rooney said.

About 4/5ths the way down the page at http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2708178

stillers4me
12-25-2006, 06:24 PM
I still believe.......Revenge Tour 2007. Be there.

SteelCzar76
12-25-2006, 06:40 PM
It's obvious the Steelers -- and their quarterback -- need some help.
"We need some players, and I think we'll be able to get some," team chairman Dan Rooney said.

About 4/5ths the way down the page at http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2708178

I actually think Mr Rooney needs a greater hand in our "War Room". Colbert seems to be too infatuated with the "bargain/project" guys with some "upside" and little else on their resumes. (After the 1st round)
I'm not saying you should always go with the "sexy" pick. (This is buisness) But damn,.....don't shy away from true talent thinking that we'll be good because we have some average "stop gap" players on the roster.

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

plenewken
12-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Hey Ben, if you don't mind, make sure it starts with you cause you stunk pretty much all season.

polamalufan43
12-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Well, he has the right idea of getting some players. I mean, we can only go up from here. I think that the team will work more on their defensive secondary, and their total offense in general in this off season most of all.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

polamalufan43
12-25-2006, 08:14 PM
Well, this isn't surprising.
So, opinions on the changes? Who's going? Who's coming?
I have a few ideas about who's leaving player wise.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

SteelCityMan786
12-25-2006, 08:37 PM
I still believe.......Revenge Tour 2007. Be there.

AMEN TO THAT! THE RISE BACK TO SUPREMECY BEGINS AUGUST 2007 WHEN THE PRESEASON COMES AROUND.

SteelCityMan786
12-25-2006, 08:41 PM
I like the confidence in hines saying they'll be more consistent. May this April be leading us on another Yellow Brick road to a Super Bowl Win.

Preacher
12-25-2006, 08:48 PM
lovie Smith, Rivera and Cover two... with Polamalu and Smith as safeties? WOW.... Now that caries possibilities.

jbattenhouse
12-25-2006, 08:49 PM
I think that Ben is aware that he needs to get better. But while he had a horrendous season, it certainly is not all his fault. This year, our run game took a couple of steps back. There seemed to be little consistency to it, something the Steelers have thrived off of for years. Ben had to throw a lot more, which naturally produces more opportunities for interceptions. And this is actually the first season that BB has ever had to face adversity like this. The rest of his playing career has been pretty stellar, from HS on up. And I believe he had a bit of that feeling of invincibility coming into the season after setting the league on fire his first two seasons and winning a SB, something which should be long gone by now.

But the team seemed to regress as a whole. The run game and the D were certainly not what they were last year, contributing to our disastrous season. It won't be quite as bad as the 6-10 season preceding the pickup of BB, but it is close. Maybe next year will bring about a similar season to the 15-1, although let's get a better result in the AFCC!

Preacher
12-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Man...

Can you imagine actually picking up a couple of good free agents?

MACH1
12-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Man...

What?? We don't need a new towel boy??:wink02:

Preacher
12-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Hey Ben, if you don't mind, make sure it starts with you cause you stunk pretty much all season.

:hunch:

I guess the line, receivers, DB's ST's Coaching decisions, surgeries, etc. had nothing to do with it. :sofunny:

SteelCzar76
12-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Man...

Who's on your prospective "shopping list" in regards to Free Agents Preach ?

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

SteelCzar76
12-25-2006, 08:58 PM

I guess the line, receivers, DB's ST's Coaching decisions, surgeries, etc. had nothing to do with it. :sofunny:

C'mon Preach,.....lighten up on the guy. You know Ben's play this year was "Butt Cheeks". LOL Admit it,....just once,.....you can do it.:sofunny:

pittsburgh$teelersfan
12-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Shoot if we could get lovie or Ron and get some good free agents and have a solid draft we will look like the ravens of this year

MACH1
12-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Shoot if we could get lovie or Ron and get some good free agents and have a solid draft we will look like the ravens of this year

And sign a couple of convicts from the local jail.

Preacher
12-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Who's on your prospective "shopping list" in regards to Free Agents Preach ?

That is a GREAT question... it is going to depend on the coaching staff and scheme.

If we get Lovie Smith (see another thread on THAT Possibility) or his assistant that will bring the cover 2, our needs will be different then if we go with one of our assistants and stay with the 3-4 zone blitz schemes.

However, On the Offense, I want to see us get 3 things. 1. A Tall/fast receiver 2. LINEMAN LINEMAN LINEMAN 3. I will agree, we may need another big back, back I don't think it is as big a deal as most people are making it out to be. Fix the line, fix our problems.

NOW.....

Have there been problems with Ben? Yep. absolutely. However, (PERFECT EXAMPLE... I just saw a shovel pass by the Jets to the runningback running close to the line. Beautiful call... why couldn't we EVER run that play?) playcalling was also a problem.

The losses this year was a team effort. except for Troy (then again, watch the last game again) and Willie Parker... EVERYONE shoulders the blame for this year... including Ben.

But those who are trying to blame Ben PRIMARILY for the loses... Really need to watch the games.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
12-25-2006, 09:18 PM
And sign a couple of convicts from the local jail.

Then we will be the Bengals

MJ5150
12-25-2006, 09:29 PM

That quote sent chills down my spine. Serious.

I dunno, I think this horrible season was a huge learning experience for these players. I think it was also VERY humbling to some of the guys who maybe thought 2006 would be a piece of cake after the amazing run in 2005.

I am making serious plans to attend training camp next summer. I want to be there right from the start when we get rolling again! Man, am I excited.........

-Mike

SteelCzar76
12-25-2006, 09:33 PM
That is a GREAT question... it is going to depend on the coaching staff and scheme.

If we get Lovie Smith (see another thread on THAT Possibility) or his assistant that will bring the cover 2, our needs will be different then if we go with one of our assistants and stay with the 3-4 zone blitz schemes.

However, On the Offense, I want to see us get 3 things. 1. A Tall/fast receiver 2. LINEMAN LINEMAN LINEMAN 3. I will agree, we may need another big back, back I don't think it is as big a deal as most people are making it out to be. Fix the line, fix our problems.

NOW.....

Have there been problems with Ben? Yep. absolutely. However, (PERFECT EXAMPLE... I just saw a shovel pass by the Jets to the runningback running close to the line. Beautiful call... why couldn't we EVER run that play?) playcalling was also a problem.

The losses this year was a team effort. except for Troy (then again, watch the last game again) and Willie Parker... EVERYONE shoulders the blame for this year... including Ben.

But those who are trying to blame Ben PRIMARILY for the loses... Really need to watch the games.

I don't know Preach,....i really don't like the idea of converting to a 4-3 scheme. (I like the flexibilty of the 3-4.) Though i think maybe coach Lebeau could maybe throw in a few more 4-3 looks here and there. (I think our failings are a matter of sub standard players.)
As far as Ben,..... i take it your saying that there were no games this season that resulted in losses PRIMARILY because he threw multiple picks ?
Or because he supposedly "couldn't get into a rhythm" ? (ie holding the ball to long, being indecisive, not making his reads fast enough even when he had "all day" to do so)
Keep it real now Padre,.......your a "man of the cloth" LOL

NV STEELERS 723
12-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Ok....a big back would be nice...he's 2nd string though... a few OF line monsters would be the key ...Heck, the Bus couldn't have run this year with our line....Willie is our guy... Michael Turner from SD would be a great as 2nd string... the key is opening holes, and our OF Line has played inconsistent this year...great at times...Willie having 2 200+ yard games.....he could of had 300 yards against Cleveland if BC let him.....

Hopefully the draft can help us... because even though Dan Rooney said we will get those players, its easier said than done...

Preacher
12-25-2006, 09:45 PM
I don't know Preach,....i really don't like the idea of converting to a 4-3 scheme. (I like the flexibilty of the 3-4.) Though i think maybe coach Lebeau could maybe throw in a few more 4-3 looks here and there. (I think our failings are a matter of sub standard players.)
As far as Ben,..... i take it your saying that there were no games this season that resulted in losses PRIMARILY because he threw multiple picks ?
Or because he supposedly "couldn't get into a rhythm" ? (ie holding the ball to long, being indecisive, not making his reads fast enough even when he had "all day" to do so)
Keep it real now Padre,.......your a "man of the cloth" LOL

No.. Let me clarify what I am saying.

I am saying that you (general you, not personally YOU) cannot place the blame SOLELY on Ben. That is the thrust of a number of posts I have read today, and they are wrong. When the O line breaks down, forcing Ben to make snap decisions, when the O schemes are predictable, when the receivers tip the ball to the defenders, none of those are Ben.

Did Ben make mistakes? Yeah, a lot of them. He was STILL THE ONE to make the bad decisions. However, when picks are made from balls bouncing of receivers hands, or because Ben was hit when throwing, those are things he can't control.

In the end, If we are going to place blame, put it on the ENTIRE Offense. If we want to talk about making changes, talk primarily about O line and scheming changes.

that is what I am saying.

Now, I agree with you on the 3-4/4-3 situaion. I would love to have the flexibility to flip back and fourth. Come out against a team showing 4-3 cover 2 (troy and Anthony in the Def. backfield..wow), then flip to a 3-4 zone blitz. That would be great.

SteelCityMan786
12-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Then we will be the Bengals

And That's what cincy is supposed to do. We're supposed to sign the class acts.

Preacher
12-25-2006, 09:56 PM
And That's what cincy is supposed to do. We're supposed to sign the class acts.

Luckily, we have too!

SteelCityMan786
12-25-2006, 09:56 PM
Luckily, we have too!

And I couldn't be more proud of our class acts.

Preacher
12-25-2006, 10:07 PM
And I couldn't be more proud of our class acts.

I have to admit, I was worried when we picked up Holmes. But I think that may have changed.

BTW...

DO you all remember when a Steeler was being sued for a fight in a bar? Turned out, he was coming to the defense of a lady! That is Steeler Class. It was about 5 or 10 years ago.

Preacher
12-25-2006, 10:18 PM
Oh yeah, I wouldn't mind spending a third round draft pick on Michael Bush Maybe even second. However, ain't no way I want a first round pick on hiim. he gets hurt too much, and we need a DB more.

Preacher
12-25-2006, 10:22 PM
I read something, I think from Clayton, that this is supposed to be the worst free agent crop in a long time.

SUre would be our luck!

fansince'76
12-25-2006, 10:36 PM
I read something, I think from Clayton, that this is supposed to be the worst free agent crop in a long time.

No problem - this team has NEVER been a major player in the FA market anyway.

SteelCzar76
12-26-2006, 12:05 AM
No problem - this team has NEVER been a major player in the FA market anyway.

Exactly 76. And i think Knoll said it best when he stated that he wants players whom know only one way to play pro football,........the STEELER way. Meaning get what you need through the Draft.
I think that applies now today more than ever with free agency almost certain to cause a considerable turnover with your roster.
The key is keeping an Elite corp of consistent players and Drafting wisely (ie with forsight and attention to TRUE quality)
Don't get carried away with the suppossed "diamond in the rough" picks.

SteelCzar76
12-26-2006, 12:15 AM
Oh yeah, I wouldn't mind spending a third round draft pick on Michael Bush Maybe even second. However, ain't no way I want a first round pick on hiim. he gets hurt too much, and we need a DB more.

I'm with you on Michael Bush Padre. IF he was on the board in the 3rd,....that would be almost too perfect. LOL
And i most certainly agree that we should go best DB available in the 1st. (Even if he is a F/S,... Laron Landry)
We could still pick up a Corner early in the second that would be at least Mcfaddens equal.

Preacher
12-26-2006, 12:44 AM
Exactly 76. And i think Knoll said it best when he stated that he wants players whom know only one way to play pro football,........the STEELER way. Meaning get what you need through the Draft.
I think that applies now today more than ever with free agency almost certain to cause a considerable turnover with your roster.
The key is keeping an Elite corp of consistent players and Drafting wisely (ie with forsight and attention to TRUE quality)
Don't get carried away with the suppossed "diamond in the rough" picks.

While that is true... Don't forget that it was much easier to keep players back then.. and develop them into great players. The thing about free-agency, is that you can go and get players that fit in your system, which you missed in the draft. Granted, our last two big FA choices were not good, but I can think of quite a few others that were great... including a running back named Bettis and a LB named James farrior

Preacher
12-26-2006, 12:46 AM
I'm with you on Michael Bush Padre. IF he was on the board in the 3rd,....that would be almost too perfect. LOL
And i most certainly agree that we should go best DB available in the 1st. (Even if he is a F/S,... Laron Landry)
We could still pick up a Corner early in the second that would be at least Mcfaddens equal.

You know... I would almost be willing to trade Townsend, a First round AND A SECOND ROUND for Deangelo Hall. His speed and ability, and his youth, WOW... ESPECIALLY if we stay in the Zone blitz scheming... he can hit the QB of the corner FAST.

fansince'76
12-26-2006, 01:14 AM
While that is true... Don't forget that it was much easier to keep players back then.. and develop them into great players. The thing about free-agency, is that you can go and get players that fit in your system, which you missed in the draft.

Agreed - I was talking about the Daniel Snyder approach of trying to build a team mostly through FA. Farrior and the Bus were not "big name" acquisitions when they came to the Steelers - their reputations were made here. Going after the Ty Laws of FA isn't what the Steelers do. You still have to be able to draft well.

Preacher
12-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Agreed - I was talking about the Daniel Snyder approach to trying to build a team mostly through FA. Farrior and the Bus were not "big name" acquisitions when they came to the Steelers - their reputations were made here. Going after the Ty Laws of FA isn't what the Steelers do. You still have to be able to draft well.

I agree we can't build via free agency. However, we can and should fill one or two holes with free agency. And yes, Jerome was a big name when we got him. He had a fantastic rookie season, and a pretty good second year. Granted, the Rams screwed him, and his reputation was hurt. But he sure wasn't a nobody when he came.

So yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with us going and picking up a free agent or two to fill the holes we haven't been able to fill via draft.

fansince'76
12-26-2006, 01:21 AM
And yes, Jerome was a big name when we got him.

I stand corrected - come to think of it, he made a couple of Pro Bowls before coming here - forgot about that.

Preacher
12-26-2006, 01:40 AM
I stand corrected - come to think of it, he made a couple of Pro Bowls before coming here - forgot about that.

:sofunny: I hate it when I do that... Done it a number of times, at least when you talking... it can go away... when it is typed... It just stays!!!

MACH1
12-26-2006, 01:44 AM
Wasn't Kevin Greene a FA?

Stillers#1
12-26-2006, 01:54 AM

He still stunk......every time he stinks he has a new excuse too. Don't forget the fever in the Jax game.

Stillers#1
12-26-2006, 01:57 AM
No.. Let me clarify what I am saying.

I am saying that you (general you, not personally YOU) cannot place the blame SOLELY on Ben. That is the thrust of a number of posts I have read today, and they are wrong. When the O line breaks down, forcing Ben to make snap decisions, when the O schemes are predictable, when the receivers tip the ball to the defenders, none of those are Ben.

Did Ben make mistakes? Yeah, a lot of them. He was STILL THE ONE to make the bad decisions. However, when picks are made from balls bouncing of receivers hands, or because Ben was hit when throwing, those are things he can't control.

In the end, If we are going to place blame, put it on the ENTIRE Offense. If we want to talk about making changes, talk primarily about O line and scheming changes.

I dunno, I saw a LOT of wide open WR's get overthrown yesterday and Ben didn't have too much pressure on him at the time either.

Preacher
12-26-2006, 02:08 AM
Wasn't Kevin Greene a FA?

Yep

Preacher
12-26-2006, 02:10 AM
I dunno, I saw a LOT of wide open WR's get overthrown yesterday and Ben didn't have too much pressure on him at the time either.

No doubt. All I am saying is... you can't put the responsibility of the entire season on Ben's shoulders. EVERYONE is responsible.

I am reacting in this thread... and other threads, to those who think that all we had to do is put in Batch... and all our troubles would be over.

How silly.

Stillers#1
12-26-2006, 09:12 AM
I am reacting in this thread... and other threads, to those who think that all we had to do is put in Batch... and all our troubles would be over.

How silly.

How do you kow it's silly, eveytime we had Batch in this year we seemed pretty competitive. If we would have given Batch a shot, we at least would have known, know we are left to do nothing but speculate. I wasn't sold on Ben before this season, now I am really not sold on Ben.

I don't want a QB that HAS to rely on a GREAT (not good) running game. I want a QB who can take over games, and Ben has never been able to do that. He may make a play here and there, but he can't take over a game.

clevestinks
12-26-2006, 09:41 AM
I like the confidence in hines saying they'll be more consistent. May this April be leading us on another Yellow Brick road to a Super Bowl Win.

Yeah so do I. :tt02: