PDA

View Full Version : Mike Bires: Roethlisberger's ego and Cowher's decisions led to 7-8 record

Stillers#1
12-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Roethlisberger's ego and Cowher's decisions led to 7-8 record
Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
12/26/2006

The Times / Clif Page

PITTSBURGH - On the day before Christmas, Ben Roethlisberger experienced one of the lowest days in his three-year pro career.

On a few occasions, he heard boos from the home crowd.

Then after he was mercifully yanked from another brutal beating at the hands of the new champs in the AFC North, he heard "Charlie! Charlie! Charlie!" chants echoing throughout Heinz Field.

After two glorious seasons, the honeymoon is over for the face of the franchise.

Granted, not all fans who watched the Steelers lose Sunday to the Baltimore Ravens, 31-7, vented their frustrations by booing Roethlisberger and cheering backup Charlie Batch. But just the fact that the quarterback who led the Steelers to Super Bowl glory less than a year ago would be jeered speaks volumes of how much his star has dimmed.

Steelers fans may be fickle. But they aren't dumb. They know - just as well as any Steeler player, coach or executive knows - that the young man who wears No. 7 has been the team's biggest problem this year.

A Super Bowl hangover, the retirement of Jerome Bettis, a tough schedule and a lackluster job by coach Bill Cowher and his assistants have contributed to the demise of the 2005 Super Bowl champs. But nothing was more detrimental to the Steelers' 7-8 slide than Roethlisberger.

By throwing two more interceptions Sunday, Roethlisberger has 22 this season, two more than he had in 2004 and '05 combined. As a rookie he went 13-0 as a starter and set a team record with a 98.1 passer rating. Last year he was 9-3 as a starter and became the youngest QB to win a Super Bowl. He reset the team record with a 98.6 rating.

Going into Sunday's finale in Cincinnati, he's 6-8 as a starter, and his rating has dipped 20 points from last year to 74.0.

The problem at QB stem from Roethlisberger's health issues, poor decisions by Cowher on the use of his quarterbacks, and Roethlisberger's immaturity and ego.

Obviously, Roethlisberger has no control over health issues that threw his life into a spin. It's not his fault a woman drove her car into the path of his motorcycle in June, nearly killing him. It's not his fault an appendectomy prevented him from playing in the season opener. It's not his fault he was knocked out with a concussion in an Oct. 22 loss in Atlanta.

But Roethlisberger does deserve blame for letting his ego get in the way of the best interests of the team. The week after the Miami game in which Batch handled the offense with ease, Roethlisberger basically begged Cowher to let him play in the next game in Jacksonville. The week of the Oakland game, it was more of the same.

Roethlisberger shouldn't have hurried back and allowed Batch to win a game or two. The Steelers are 3-0 in games Batch started the past two years.

Cowher erred by playing Roethlisberger in a 9-0 loss in Jacksonville and a 20-13 loss in Oakland. He hardly played him in the preseason and Cowher shouldn't have played him in Jacksonville. He wasn't ready. His performance - 46.2 completion percentage, two interceptions, 38.7 passer rating - did nothing to help Roethlisberger regain confidence.

The decision to play Roethlisberger in Oakland was one of the most glaring bonehead mistakes of the Cowher era.

To lose to a 2-13 Raiders team was inexcusable. Roethlisberger threw four interceptions, two that were returned for TDs. Batch should have played and would have won that day.

Soething is bothering Roethlisberger. Perhaps it's just a lack of confidence. But he's clearly not the QB he was his first two years in the league.

After Sunday's loss eliminated the Steelers, Roethlisberger admitted he's already looking forward to next year. He said he wants to spend extra time practicing with his wide receivers to develop better chemistry.

The best thing that could happen for Roethlisberger is for this season to end as quickly as possible. He should get away from football for awhile and try to rejuvenate himself physically, mentally and spiritually.

The faster he puts the nightmare of 2006 behind him the better off he and the Steelers will be.

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com

?Beaver County Times Allegheny Times 2006

83-Steelers-43
12-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Oh boy, Mr. Bires better find a bomb proof shelter.

Stlrs4Life
12-26-2006, 09:44 AM
I may have had a few beers at the game, and did heer some Boos, but never thought they were intended towards Ben himself. More over towards the entire offense. And didn't hear the Charlie chant. Maybe was in the restroom at the time.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Yea I was at the game Sunday and some Steelers fans were saying "Ben I hope you get into another accident". Ok I have been fustrated with Ben at times this year to but I would never wish harm onto Big Ben. I just hope he comes back and shuts the Steelers fans the **** up that doubt him now next year.

We all knew at sometime Ben was going to have some struggles at onetime in his career. Hopefully he rebounds and plays like the QB we expect him to be.

Big D
12-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Yea I was at the game Sunday and some Steelers fans were saying "Ben I hope you get into another accident". Ok I have been fustrated with Ben at times this year to but I would never wish harm onto Big Ben. I just hope he comes back and shuts the Steelers fans the **** up that doubt him now next year.

We all knew at sometime Ben was going to have some struggles at onetime in his career. Hopefully he rebounds and plays like the QB we expect him to be.

those arent the true fans. That's a disgrace.

stillers4me
12-26-2006, 10:03 AM
I lay the blame for playing Ben squarely on Cowher's shoulders. Of course Ben was going to want to play when the doc's cleared him. If he wanted to sit, he'd look like the baby his critics claim him to be. The buck stops with Cowher. Period.

I still don't think even if Ben had sat those games that we would be in better playoff position. Here we essentially had the same team but for some reason that no one can lay a precise finger on, just didn't put it all together this year. We say this, this and this went wrong. Yes.......but WHY? Same team.......different result.

I've read all the posts, articles, you name it and nothing explains it, other that the obvious reason for Ben's slump. The only reasonable explaination in my mind is that last year, at the end when we were the strongest, we were also our healthiest. All of our key players have played with or been out with major injuries since day one and we simply didn't have enough depth to handle it. Our rookies have been called upon to carry the load and we have paid the price for that. Lesson #1 when you are playing with the big boys is hold on to the friggin' ball!

The one bright spot for that situation is our rookies got valuable experience this season and are ready to step up to the plate next year with many less mistakes. Santonio and Anthony Smith had some very bright moments that gave me hope. Look what happed to Willie Parker this year......next year should be even better for him. That's one guy that gave his all this year. Add that to Ben, Troy, Hines and a few others having a full off season to prepare and some changes made by the HO, good draft picks and FA and I have a good feeling about next year.....with or without Cowher. I can't imagine the Steelers without him, but I'm also a firm believer that change can be good. I trust the Rooneys to handle this as expertly as they always have.

My mom always says...."Everything happens for a reason......" Mom is usually right. :wink02:

klick81
12-26-2006, 10:11 AM
He has some valid points, but to suggest that Ben is the MAIN reason we are where we are is just irresponsible. Dumbass.

Big D
12-26-2006, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=stillers4me;194981]I lay the blame for playing Ben squarely on Cowher's shoulders. Of course Ben was going to want to play when the doc's cleared him. If he wanted to sit, he'd look like the baby his critics claim him to be. The buck stops with Cowher. Period.

I couldnt agree with you more! just because he was cleared PHYSICALLY to play means little to nothing when he isnt prepared mentally.

SteelCityMan786
12-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Oh boy, Mr. Bires better find a bomb proof shelter.

You can say that again.

4xSBChamps
12-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Yea I was at the game Sunday and some Steelers fans were saying "Ben I hope you get into another accident".

..... being in Florida, I didn't see the game, but it sounds like the azz-hats that 'cheered' when Bradshaw seperated a shoulder at-home in '73 were permitted to reproduce, eh?
:m16:

Roethlisberger should-be held accountable for driving a scooter without a brain-bucket, but it is the coaching staff to decide when he is playing below-par, and when to sit him down.
:cya:

stillers4me
12-26-2006, 10:30 AM
..... being in Florida, I didn't see the game, but it sounds like the azz-hats that 'cheered' when Bradshaw seperated a shoulder at-home in '73 were permitted to reproduce, eh?
:m16:

Very good point!! :sofunny:

Indy_Steelers
12-26-2006, 11:17 AM
This guy is STUPID! This is only his third year and his has already done more that most QBs who have been in the league 3 times longer. The NFL is all about SB wins. That is how QBs are defined. Ask Manning and Marino. Anyway he had to come down to earth at some point. Not to mention that the fans that wanted Ben out are probably the sons and daughters of the fans who wanted Terry Bradshaw run out of tow and we all know how stupid they look now. So if you compare Ben's first 3 years in the league to even Bradshaw's, I think he is off to a great start. Besides the problems were not entirely Ben’s fault. The WRs were dropping catchable balls and the linemen could not do something as fundamental as keeping DLs hands down so Ben could throw.

4xSBChamps
12-26-2006, 11:34 AM
..... if you compare Ben's first 3 years in the league to even Bradshaw's.....
I agree with everything you say, but to compare Bradshaw's first 2 seasons, going 5-9 in '70 (taking-over a team that went 1-13 to position themselves to draft him in the first place ), and 6-8 in '71 is an unfair comparison to Roethlisberger's 15-2 in '04 and 15-5 in '05:
Bradshaw ws EXPECTED to lead the Stillers to the promised land, after almost 40 years of franchise futility, yet was playing behind a team being rebuild, top-to-bottom by Chuck Noll (who basically 'threw' Bradshaw to the wolves for a few seasons ), where Roethlisberger had no-expectations when drafted, or when he took-over for Maddox, and although the Stillers went 6-10 the year before Roethlisberger joined the team, free-aganecy can change a team's fortune, and wasn't available in the early-'70s NFL.

(i.e. - it took Noll seasons to build the Steelers, but in today's NFL, it can be 'bought' )

Even with a Super Bowl ring 3 years ahead of Bradshaw's pace, Roethlisberger is STILL an untapped, unrealized potential:
it is doubtful that Canton is bull-dozing ground just -yet for the 'Roethlisberger' annex.
:wink02:

clevestinks
12-26-2006, 11:35 AM
To Boo Ben or hope that he gets in another accident is absurb. These fans are retards. I believe Ben would even take a big part of the blame, but I agree that he was never 100% at any time this season.
Cowher??? I love this guy, and I want him to stay! But I`m not sure what is going on, and how much he is to blame?

I may take some heat for this, but I`m sick of hearing that Jerome leaving is part of the problem. First off he was hardly part of the offense last season, with the exception of the Bears game. Some one yards tds? Big deal. I like Bettis and rooted for him day in and day out, but got sick of the " I`m going home for the Super Bowl Tour" I,I, IHell is almost cost us the trip to the big one, it was Ben who saved our @sses. And then bettis strutting around the field befor ethe game in his three piece suit, and hat?????? This seemed to be more about him than anything else, he was a sideshow, in my opinion. He may have been a presence in the lockerroom, but these are grown men fi you cant get it up to play, you really need to check yourself. beside it would seem to me that guys like Ben, Hines, Troy, & larry Foote to name a few would be great off the field guys, and role models.

stillers4me
12-26-2006, 11:36 AM
it is doubtful that Canton is bull-dozing ground just -yet for the 'Roethlisberger' annex.
:wink02:

Wash your mouth out with soap!!! :sofunny: :sofunny:

Infamix
12-26-2006, 12:32 PM
Damn what's with half of the fans at Heinz field turning on their qb? Or three rivers for that matter

fansince'76
12-26-2006, 12:57 PM
From the article: Steelers fans may be fickle. But they aren't dumb. They know - just as well as any Steeler player, coach or executive knows - that the young man who wears No. 7 has been the team's biggest problem this year.

I guess I'm dumb, then. I thought our biggest problem this year was getting beat like a drum (by good teams, at least) on both sides of the LOS, but I guess it's just me.

X-Terminator
12-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Why should anyone be surprised at these so-called "fans?" It's just business as usual. I bet you these same assclowns were saying "YAY BEN" when he was throwing all those TD passes in the playoffs last season. And then people get on me for saying that Steelers fans are the most spoiled and the most fickle in the NFL? I'm still waiting for someone to prove to me that they aren't.

clevestinks
12-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Why should anyone be surprised at these so-called "fans?" It's just business as usual. I bet you these same assclowns were saying "YAY BEN" when he was throwing all those TD passes in the playoffs last season. And then people get on me for saying that Steelers fans are the most spoiled and the most fickle in the NFL? I'm still waiting for someone to prove to me that they aren't.

True, I just don`t want some retards running Ben out of town. If they keep up the booes he may want out eventually. no love?

BigDuke6
12-26-2006, 02:15 PM
True, I just don`t want some retards running Ben out of town. If they keep up the booes he may want out eventually. no love?

C'mon guys, Ben's a big boy. He can take it. You dont need to baby him. And he wont tuck tail and run just because a couple of fans boo him or a couple of jerks post blogs stating they think he stinks or blah....blah....blah...Take a pill....

Steel Pit
12-27-2006, 03:50 AM
I'm a huge Roethlisberger fan but I must admit that he appeared to be playing scared more than once this season. I can't say that I blame him for being a little shaky against the Ravens because the protection totally SUCKED in both games. Nonetheless he needs to regain his courage while in the pocket.

LarryNJ
12-27-2006, 04:37 AM
I take some of the people who post on here in their spare time for fun and the love of the game, more serious than the guy who makes $20,000 a year writing for the friggin Beaver County Times.

From the article:

"Soething is bothering Roethlisberger. Perhaps it's just a lack of confidence. But he's clearly not the QB he was his first two years in the league."

Perhaps you should be delivering papers instead of writing articles for them.

Preacher
12-27-2006, 04:46 AM
C'mon guys, Ben's a big boy. He can take it. You dont need to baby him. And he wont tuck tail and run just because a couple of fans boo him or a couple of jerks post blogs stating they think he stinks or blah....blah....blah...Take a pill....

Once again...

I dont want to be known as the team that hates our franchise qb's so much, they leave and don't come back for 20 years.

And no... I don't blame Bradshaw. I blame the Steeler fanbase.

4xSBChamps
12-27-2006, 07:06 AM
And no... I don't blame Bradshaw. I blame the Steeler fanbase.

[Richard Dawson]
"Survey says.....

:mallet: :mallet: :mallet: :mallet: :mallet:

NUMBER ONE ANSWER on the board, Darlin' !!!"
[/Richard Dawson]

SteelerMurf
12-27-2006, 03:37 PM
There are as many games lost due to bad defensive play or bad offensive line play as the games that Ben lost.

Ben had a bad year but so did so many other players.

Preacher
12-27-2006, 03:41 PM
[Richard Dawson]
"Survey says.....

:mallet: :mallet: :mallet: :mallet: :mallet:

NUMBER ONE ANSWER on the board, Darlin' !!!"
[/Richard Dawson]

Wow.. I got the number one answer! PLAY PLAY... I think we will PLAY!!!!

hardwork
12-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Cowher indicated what the problem was after the first game when he said something like this, "This team has a swagger to it but hasn't done anything to swagger about yet."

You can't start out in 5th gear. You'll stall every time.

Preacher
12-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Cowher indicated what the problem was after the first game when he said something like this, "This team has a swagger to it but hasn't done anything to swagger about yet."

Dang if there isn't truth to that...

We forgot were we come from.

I knew we were in trouble when Cowher reinstated Movie day in training camp!

4xSBChamps
12-27-2006, 06:13 PM
I recall in early-October of 1976, after starting-out @ 1-4 after winning 2 striaght Super Bowls, 'somebody' (maybe Noll-himself? ) said:
"It's hard to be hungry..... when you've got a ham on your back....."

brind666
12-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Roethlisberger's ego and Cowher's decisions led to 7-8 record
Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
12/26/2006

The Times / Clif Page

PITTSBURGH - On the day before Christmas, Ben Roethlisberger experienced one of the lowest days in his three-year pro career.

On a few occasions, he heard boos from the home crowd.

Then after he was mercifully yanked from another brutal beating at the hands of the new champs in the AFC North, he heard "Charlie! Charlie! Charlie!" chants echoing throughout Heinz Field.

After two glorious seasons, the honeymoon is over for the face of the franchise.

Granted, not all fans who watched the Steelers lose Sunday to the Baltimore Ravens, 31-7, vented their frustrations by booing Roethlisberger and cheering backup Charlie Batch. But just the fact that the quarterback who led the Steelers to Super Bowl glory less than a year ago would be jeered speaks volumes of how much his star has dimmed.

Steelers fans may be fickle. But they aren't dumb. They know - just as well as any Steeler player, coach or executive knows - that the young man who wears No. 7 has been the team's biggest problem this year.

A Super Bowl hangover, the retirement of Jerome Bettis, a tough schedule and a lackluster job by coach Bill Cowher and his assistants have contributed to the demise of the 2005 Super Bowl champs. But nothing was more detrimental to the Steelers' 7-8 slide than Roethlisberger.

By throwing two more interceptions Sunday, Roethlisberger has 22 this season, two more than he had in 2004 and '05 combined. As a rookie he went 13-0 as a starter and set a team record with a 98.1 passer rating. Last year he was 9-3 as a starter and became the youngest QB to win a Super Bowl. He reset the team record with a 98.6 rating.

Going into Sunday's finale in Cincinnati, he's 6-8 as a starter, and his rating has dipped 20 points from last year to 74.0.

The problem at QB stem from Roethlisberger's health issues, poor decisions by Cowher on the use of his quarterbacks, and Roethlisberger's immaturity and ego.

Obviously, Roethlisberger has no control over health issues that threw his life into a spin. It's not his fault a woman drove her car into the path of his motorcycle in June, nearly killing him. It's not his fault an appendectomy prevented him from playing in the season opener. It's not his fault he was knocked out with a concussion in an Oct. 22 loss in Atlanta.

But Roethlisberger does deserve blame for letting his ego get in the way of the best interests of the team. The week after the Miami game in which Batch handled the offense with ease, Roethlisberger basically begged Cowher to let him play in the next game in Jacksonville. The week of the Oakland game, it was more of the same.

Roethlisberger shouldn't have hurried back and allowed Batch to win a game or two. The Steelers are 3-0 in games Batch started the past two years.

Cowher erred by playing Roethlisberger in a 9-0 loss in Jacksonville and a 20-13 loss in Oakland. He hardly played him in the preseason and Cowher shouldn't have played him in Jacksonville. He wasn't ready. His performance - 46.2 completion percentage, two interceptions, 38.7 passer rating - did nothing to help Roethlisberger regain confidence.

The decision to play Roethlisberger in Oakland was one of the most glaring bonehead mistakes of the Cowher era.

To lose to a 2-13 Raiders team was inexcusable. Roethlisberger threw four interceptions, two that were returned for TDs. Batch should have played and would have won that day.

Soething is bothering Roethlisberger. Perhaps it's just a lack of confidence. But he's clearly not the QB he was his first two years in the league.

After Sunday's loss eliminated the Steelers, Roethlisberger admitted he's already looking forward to next year. He said he wants to spend extra time practicing with his wide receivers to develop better chemistry.

The best thing that could happen for Roethlisberger is for this season to end as quickly as possible. He should get away from football for awhile and try to rejuvenate himself physically, mentally and spiritually.

The faster he puts the nightmare of 2006 behind him the better off he and the Steelers will be.

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com

?Beaver County Times Allegheny Times 2006

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REMEMBER MY POST EARLIER ON.... "ben is a selfish moron who wants to play regardless" ????? i am glad some knows whats is all about....

blackngoldbaby
12-27-2006, 06:28 PM
i cannot begin to belive the fans that were actually saying them kinds of things about ben!Its not all bens fault if the offensive line would show up to play once in a while maybe ben wouldnt be so scared and wouldnt have so much trouble that goes also for opening up holes for our running backs a great team starts with a good offensive line ya know in my opinion anyways but you have to be stupid to say its all bens fault because it is not! plus the distractions that we had this year played a factor also.

Preacher
12-27-2006, 07:18 PM
i cannot begin to belive the fans that were actually saying them kinds of things about ben!Its not all bens fault if the offensive line would show up to play once in a while maybe ben wouldnt be so scared and wouldnt have so much trouble that goes also for opening up holes for our running backs a great team starts with a good offensive line ya know in my opinion anyways but you have to be stupid to say its all bens fault because it is not! plus the distractions that we had this year played a factor also.

I blame Ben for being foolish enough not to bench his bike until after his career.

I blame Ben for pushing to play after the surgery and after the concussion (though I admire his courage... that is a fine line).

I blame Ben for making some bad on field decisions.

However, Ben is ONE OF 11 players on Offense. He doesn't even play D or ST. If I remember right, D and special teams had enough mistakes themselves that if they fixed HALF the mistakes tis year, we would be in the playoffs.

In the end, I put about 30 to 40 percent of Offense's problems on Ben. I put about fifty on the oline, and the rest split on the coaching/scheming and on the Receivers, especially in the beginning of the year.

Stilliz
12-27-2006, 07:59 PM
LOL-- this chit is to funny... all these excuses you are making for Ben. LOL

Check this ya'll -- when a QB leads the league in INTS after 15 weeks he pretty much sux.

Yeah I know .. wow huh.

steelcity58
12-27-2006, 09:20 PM
I agree with some points made in the original article and some of the comments.

Hindsight is always 20/20 as they say but I do believe if Cowher would have sit Ben on the bench the first 3 games...giving his body, mind and spirit time to heal, and too, would have had a bit more fire lit under the team week in and week out, our beloved Steelers would not be at 7-8...maybe 10-6...11-5.

It all starts with the head coach, and while I rank BC up there with the best of them, his work this year was a bit lacking.

You have to remember Ben is relatively, still very very young, and has tons to still learn about the game.

BC needs to make a commitment to the team one way or another and not let his indecision lap over into the off-season and into next year.

As for any fans chanting that they hoped Ben would have another crash...or to let Batch run the offense...

That is just asinine...and in my book a capital offense.

I hope BC is back next year. He's one of the all time great coaches.

The Steelers will be back.

That is a fact.

Tankus_Maximus
12-27-2006, 10:00 PM
I agree that Cowher shouldn't have let Ben play those games early in the season, right after having serious injuries. The longest-tenured coach should not have let his golden-boy dictate the personnel decisions.

But I think the Steelers were put in the hole when Ben did that face-plant off the crotch-rocket. That one moment was the turning point for the season...before the damn season even began.

Preacher
12-28-2006, 12:44 AM
LOL-- this chit is to funny... all these excuses you are making for Ben. LOL

Check this ya'll -- when a QB leads the league in INTS after 15 weeks he pretty much sux.

Yeah I know .. wow huh.

WOW... What a simplistic view.

That is like saying a guy shooting a gun is at fault for missing the target... even if the gunsmith screwed up the sights and bore the barrel at an angle.

IT IS CALLED OFFENSIVE LINE AND RECEIVERS!!! When they don't block... and run the wrong routes... and tip balls TO THE DEFENSE.. Interceptions happen.

plenewken
12-28-2006, 06:06 AM
WOW... What a simplistic view.

That is like saying a guy shooting a gun is at fault for missing the target... even if the gunsmith screwed up the sights and bore the barrel at an angle.

IT IS CALLED OFFENSIVE LINE AND RECEIVERS!!! When they don't block... and run the wrong routes... and tip balls TO THE DEFENSE.. Interceptions happen.

C'mon, dude! The large majority of Ben's interceptions have nothing to do with the offensive line or wrong routes or tipped balls, they were BAD throws into coverage, or underthrown or overthrown passes, period.
Amazing the number of excuses you're gonna invent for his poor play. Must kill you to realize he sucked this year and you can't admit it. Sheesh!

HometownGal
12-28-2006, 06:51 AM
Hindsight is always 20/20 as they say but I do believe if Cowher would have sit Ben on the bench the first 3 games...giving his body, mind and spirit time to heal, and too, would have had a bit more fire lit under the team week in and week out, our beloved Steelers would not be at 7-8...maybe 10-6...11-5.

That is a fact.

I felt from the time Ben was injured on that crotch rocket that he should have at least sat out the first 6 games of the season to allow himself to heal not only physically, but mentally and emotionally, as the latter takes a while longer. It may not have made a difference, though, as Ben was stricken with appendicitis and sustained a concussion not far into the season, thus delaying his overall healing process even more. Cowher has a responsibility as a HC to put the best team out there on that field and if Ben felt he could play, was cleared by his doctors and looked fine in practice - I don't see any NFL HC not putting him out there. With this sue-happy world we live in today, Ben's doctors and Cowher aren't going to risk liability if they feel he isn't ready to resume his role on the team.

I don't place the blame for this season on any one player or coach - they've all played a part in the Steelers' lackluster season. Injuries to key players in addition to Ben didn't help matters either. This team, simply put, came into this season with a huge chip on its shoulders (which other teams were only too happy to knock off) and did not play consistent Pittsburgh Steelers style football.

For those who cheered when Bradshaw hurt his shoulder (I remember it all too well) and wished additional injury upon Ben - I don't consider them fans. They are mindless gutter-snipes who need to find another bandwagon to jump on and off. Yes - we do have them here, too, unfortunately.

You're absolutely right, SC58 - they will be back. They always are. No doubt about it. :tt02:

plenewken
12-28-2006, 07:51 AM
As for any fans chanting that they hoped Ben would have another crash...or to let Batch run the offense...

That is just asinine...and in my book a capital offense.

I hope BC is back next year. He's one of the all time great coaches.

That is a fact.

I agree with you, they'll be back but hopefully, not with Cowher. I hope they get a new COO (HC) next season. Like a business, when a team doesn't perform, the top gets replaced and it's not only needed, it's healthy. Continuity in the NFL is a pipe dream. There's no such thing when FA makes impossible to maintain a domination for an extended period of time. We need dramatic changes in the Steelers FO, that's the only way to re-establish competitiveness. The Steelers didn't have a winning attitude this year and I don't see why they would regain it next season with the same Coach and roughly the same roster. What he is gonna tell them? "Guys, we took it easy last year (and I was the first to let it happen) but this year will be different". Nobody believes it's that simple. In Cowher's mind, he achieved what he wanted, which is a SuperBowl ring. When I listen to the guy, when I look at the guy's body language, he doesn't show me anything close to willing to win a second or a third SB. Sorry, that's what I think.

83-Steelers-43
12-28-2006, 08:00 AM

I agree.

Wow, a few drunken morons made idiotic comments at a football game. I'm sure Heinz is not the only place where it occurs. Try heading over to Lincoln Financial Field and listen to what those fans have to say when things are looking gloomy. By no means am I excusing the supposed comments made (I didn't hear them), but it happens in every stadium. No big surprise there.

As for the boo's, I don't boo. But that also occurs in every NFL stadium (along with NHL rink, MLB field and NBA court). After every loss we have somebody state "OMG, they were booing Ben!!!" as they were sitting in front of their tv watching the game. They were booing the whole damn team if anything. They boo when the o-line crumbles. They boo when Ben overthrows Holmes when he's all alone. They boo when our DB's give up 25-35 yard pass plays. They boo when we turn the ball over on a regular basis. IMO, for the most part I thought the fans inside Heinz have been very lenient this season when it came to boo's and harsh comments. Eitherway, I'm not going to question somebody's loyalty simply because they boo. Especially the one's I've seen boo who also have had season tickets for decades.

At the end of the day, NFL players are big boys. I think they can handle the booing when they open up that paycheck at the end of the day. It's part of the game and they know that when they sign that contract. I'm sure John Smith would be more than happy to trade his minimum wage job in order to get a boo'ing from time to time while making five milllion a year.

plenewken
12-28-2006, 08:05 AM
At the end of the day, NFL players are big boys. I think they can handle the booing when they open up that paycheck at the end of the day. It's part of the game and they know that when they sign that contract. I'm sure John Smith would be more than happy to trade his minimum wage job in order to get a boo'ing from time to time while making five milllion a year.

I agree too. I'd take all the boo'ing of the planet for Ben's 9 million dollars signing bonus.

skidboot
12-28-2006, 08:25 AM
it wasn't just Roethlisberger.

Dropped passes,
Dropped Punts,
Dropped Kickoffs,
Missed Tackles,
Missed INT's,
Poor Coaching,
Fumbles,
Lack of Focus,
Stupid Penalties,
Missed Blocks

did I miss anything?

whatever was going to go wrong, went wrong.

LOTS of blame to go around for the season not just Roethlisberger.

as for the people who want to Boo....let them boo. they pay for the ticket. As long as they don't get violent or ruin anyone else's good time, go ahead. Keep the language down! Booing is part of being a fan IMO. This team shouldn't be a "Teflon Team"....when they stink, let em know about it.

if they want to cheer on an injury......I'd like to think they have the alcohol talking, if not they have some issues to sort out.

We lost our edge somewhere. Seemed like we were waiting for something bad to happen and when it did it was the ol "here we go again".

plenewken
12-28-2006, 10:32 AM
it wasn't just Roethlisberger.

Dropped passes,
Dropped Punts,
Dropped Kickoffs,
Missed Tackles,
Missed INT's,
Poor Coaching,
Fumbles,
Lack of Focus,
Stupid Penalties,
Missed Blocks

did I miss anything?

whatever was going to go wrong, went wrong.

LOTS of blame to go around for the season not just Roethlisberger.

Well, FYI, Roethlisberger alone had 5 fumbles this season. That's in addition to his 22 interceptions, by far the most in the NFL. I'm not blaming Ben only but he sure deserves his share. Personally, I make him fully responsible for 3 losses this season.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Okay,Ben gets cleared by the docs to play.He says he wants to play.Why the hell would he NOT want to play?

It's not ego,it's being competitive.

Anyhow,the media twists eveything around.

If Ben plays he's only thinking about himself and not the team...if Ben decides to sit the game out he's a wimp and doesn't have the attitude of a warrior who plays through pain to help him team win.

F**K THE MEDIA!

melroseplace
12-31-2006, 05:27 PM
after attending more games this season than I had in my entire life, almost anything fans yell at the players wouldn't phase me. don't get me wrong, I get extremely pissed off (especially when the players are within earshot...IMO they need to focus on the the next play or the game as a whole, not the previous play when they messed up).

to point fingers at one or two people and blame them for the outcome of this season is ridiculous. yes, I agree that Ben carries responsibility for it. as does Cowher for putting Ben in so soon after his accident. but what about the offensive line? the receivers for dropping balls that should have been caught? Jeff Reed for missing field goals that he normally would have had no problem with? it seemed to me as though the majority of the players were not playing up to their potential.

my theory is that the reason we ended up with a 8-8 season is because the players weren't in sync. maybe it was egos, maybe inexperience on some parts, maybe injuries, but for whatever the reason, it just wasn't there. the receivers weren't on the same page as Ben (and vice versa), the offensive line weren't gelling together to protect Ben, the coaches' plays weren't calculated correctly. whatever it was, there is no one person to be blamed. all we can hope is that the players, coaches and Rooneys will take time during the off-season to evaluate what happened and look to the '07 season as a time to make changes