PDA

View Full Version : I'm Not Liking Joey Porter

Man_Of_Steel
12-26-2006, 03:12 PM
He is one of the most overrated players on this team. He is all talk, he talks trash constantly and hardly backs it up, especially the pregame BS on the field with the opposing team. I mean come on, show just a little class. I don't see how the harping in pregame warmups helps this team. All he can do now is trash talk, he has nothing to back it up with any more. He shows flashes, then disappears for a few games. And the poke in the eye to Jamal Lewis was classless.

I hope the Steelers see him for what he is, a dirty player. No place for him on this team. Please let him go. You can do better.

clevestinks
12-26-2006, 03:20 PM
He is one of the most overrated players on this team. He is all talk, he talks trash constantly and hardly backs it up, especially the pregame BS on the field with the opposing team. I mean come on, show just a little class. I don't see how the harping in pregame warmups helps this team. All he can do now is trash talk, he has nothing to back it up with any more. He shows flashes, then disappears for a few games. And the poke in the eye to Jamal Lewis was classless.

I hope the Steelers see him for what he is, a dirty player. No place for him on this team. Please let him go. You can do better.

He didnt have the greatest of seasons I admit. But he is a great player, and great players get double teamed, and everyone is looking for him each and every snap. I`m sure opposing offenses are lineing up and call out who has #55. His biggest problem to me is they other side, Haggans was also nonexistance for much of the season, so they could key on #55 more. Joey needs support to be able to freestyle and get to the quarterback he didnt have that luxury this season.

As far as his theatrics go, it gets me pumped up, I consider him a great asset for that, this week he did go to far, he deserve the right to retaliate, but went about the wrong way, he couldnt get a descent hit so he took the cheap shot.

Joey is the modern day Jack Lambert, Mean Joe Greene, Dennis "Dirt" Winston, Greg Llyodd etc. This is Steelers football, hard nose , smash mouth football, nothing has changed. Our biggest problem is we all have a changing of the guard at linebacker with attitude, we have nobody right now waiting in the wings!

klick81
12-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Joey's the man.

MJ5150
12-26-2006, 04:17 PM
I have mixed emotions on Joey. I love him to death. He plays every game without complaining about being hurt or sitting out with small injuries. I don't see him taking plays off, or "stealing a check" as many other NFL players do. I could be wrong, since my affection for him can sometimes cloud my clear judgement.

I am also concerned about the lack or production this season. Because I love him like a brother, I think it is because teams are game planning for him all week. He has become a target of blocking tight ends and big offensive linemen, sometimes more than one.

Part of me is afraid he will not be around next season. I'm not so sure I am ready to accept that.

-Mike

MACH1
12-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Love the guy, but I dont think he's going to stay if he doesnt get the $$$ he wants. And I doubt the Rooney's are going to pay him that much. IMO

83-Steelers-43
12-26-2006, 04:41 PM
IMO, Joey will not get the money he's been hinting that he deserves. He will play out his last year and that will be that. Not saying he will, but if he bitches, cut him. That may sound cold but do we really need to hear Porter complaining about his contract after what occured this season? I don't think so. Contract distractions are the last thing we need.

I've said it before, I love Porter's emotion but the guy is getting up there in age and his play is starting to reflect that fact. I'm not willing to dish out big money to a guy who is pretty much on his last leg. Look to Kirkland, Lloyd and Green for examples.

Just my two cents.

4xSBChamps
12-26-2006, 05:29 PM
***** NOTE *****

Let me begin by saying that I didn't get to see the game against the Ratbirds here in Florida, so I am not up-to-speed on Porter's last bit of shenanigans:
I understand that Jamal Lewis ran him over, and a few plays later, during an ensuing pile-up, Porter roughed-him-up/poked his eye/grasped his face-mask, etc.....
:hunch:

Many of today's younger fans see nothing wrong with 'thuggery-as-motivation', but I believe many experienced football fans see it as what it is:
childish horse-sh!t that has no-place in today's game, and should be dealt-with swiftly-and-severely by the on-field officials, resulting in being kicked-out of the game, and forced to leave the field.
:banned:

Today's players are well-paid, highly-trained athletes, and they should display at-least SOME decorum & class when on the playing field:
players before them, like Joe Greene, Bubba Smith, Deacon Jones, Mike Curtis, Jack Lambert, Dick Butkus and Mike Singletary motivates their teams by playing AT the line determining fair and foul-play, but these guys today discredit themselves, and the game, when they can't keep their composure, and cross the line into 'street-thug' territory.

Stillers#1
12-26-2006, 05:35 PM
[B]Many of today's younger fans see nothing wrong with 'thuggery-as-motivation', but I believe many experienced football fans see it as what it is:
childish horse-sh!t that has no-place in today's game, and should be dealt-with swiftly-and-severely by the on-field officials, resulting in being kicked-out of the game, and forced to leave the field.

While I agree with you (even as a younger fan) I think you're just longing for the good ole' days (as am I) when players showed up and played.

The problem is, is this is TODAYS GAME. The game you are talking about, and wanting to see guys like Peezy represent, is yesterdays game.

Like I said, I am in the same boat as you, but like some famous guy said, "The times, they are a'changing".

4xSBChamps
12-26-2006, 05:41 PM
..... like I said, I am in the same boat as you, but like some famous guy said, "The times, they are a'changing".
..... which probably explains why I don't make a big-effort to watch every game as I did in my youth:
Talk-is-cheap, STFU-and dance!!!!!
:helmet:

Stillers#1
12-26-2006, 05:45 PM
I agree, but it's how thses guys get pumped up to play. The are professional atheletes, so it must work for them somehow.

Livinginthe past
12-26-2006, 05:50 PM
I would have thought Jack Lambert was alot dirtier than Joey Porter - they were allowed to get away with alot more back in Jacks day.

Don't get me wrong- I hate all the cheap childish smack Porter brings too - but I would have imagined that a poke in the eye would be the last of the problems for a guy stuck under a pile that included Jack.

NM

The_Professor
12-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Livinginthepast is right; you guys are boneheads if you think that worse things didn't go on in the league back in the day than go on right now. You really think people got kicked out back then for a harmless poke in the eye? Who are you kidding; this is football not ice-skating. Back then it was worse. That said, you know what you're going to get with Porter, a guy who will always be a loud-mouth and who will talk smack. So what... we need to evaluate him on his play. As I've said in earlier threads, i hope porter plays out the last year of his contract next year but with his personality i'm not so sure that he will.

DACEB
12-26-2006, 06:06 PM
As I have posted in other threads I believe the dropoff at LB is do to the D-line and in particular to Keisel taking over for Kimo. They compliment each other. I'm not saying I don't like Porter or Kiesel. I love Porters enthusiasm and yes his trash talk. I like Keisel, but I like him better as a backup or on 3rd down. I think we need a monster at DE and hell yes some new blood at LB, because I don't see us renewing Porters contract.

I also agree with LITP, Lambert which was listed as almost everyones favorite Steeler was much dirtier than Porter. Noone wants to be known as dirty but we all want to win and intimidation is part of winning.

clevestinks
12-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Livinginthepast is right; you guys are boneheads if you think that worse things didn't go on in the league back in the day than go on right now. You really think people got kicked out back then for a harmless poke in the eye? Who are you kidding; this is football not ice-skating. Back then it was worse. That said, you know what you're going to get with Porter, a guy who will always be a loud-mouth and who will talk smack. So what... we need to evaluate him on his play. As I've said in earlier threads, i hope porter plays out the last year of his contract next year but with his personality i'm not so sure that he will.

It was worse back in the day, but porter wasn`t under a pile, the whole entire world saw it! i`m not against what he did but be a little more descete, we couldnt afford 15 yards at that point of the game.

stillers4me
12-26-2006, 06:15 PM
http://sports.aol.com/nfl/photos

Picture #5 clearly shows Jamal Lewis grabbing Joey's face mask. There was no penalty on the play. Bad thing to do to Peezy.........I just wish Joey would have gotten him back without causing the 15 yard penalty. As it goes, we would have still lost the game..........but that's hind sight.

I would really hate to see Joey leave. He was a big part of our win over Indy last year (Peyton Manning remembers him, I'm sure)........I would hate to see the Steelers go up against him.

4xSBChamps
12-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Who are you kidding; this is football not ice-skating.
I musta missed the day the coach taught players that starting a fight, and being ejected DURING pre-game warm-ups, taunting and spitting in player's faces, and show-boating, was 'part-of-football'.....
:cheers:

OneForTheToe
12-26-2006, 06:21 PM
As I have posted in other threads I believe the dropoff at LB is do to the D-line and in particular to Keisel taking over for Kimo. They compliment each other. I'm not saying I don't like Porter or Kiesel. I love Porters enthusiasm and yes his trash talk. I like Keisel, but I like him better as a backup or on 3rd down. I think we need a monster at DE and hell yes some new blood at LB, because I don't see us renewing Porters contract.

I also agree with LITP, Lambert which was listed as almost everyones favorite Steeler was much dirtier than Porter. Noone wants to be known as dirty but we all want to win and intimidation is part of winning.

Wow, I thought the D line was the best unit on the defense this year. Keisel played well, I thought. Didn't he have 6 or more sacks? Pretty good for a DE in a 3-4. In addition, the run D remained pretty stout with the exception of the first Raven's game.

DACEB
12-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Wow, I thought the D line was the best unit on the defense this year. Keisel played well, I thought. Didn't he have 6 or more sacks? Pretty good for a DE in a 3-4. In addition, the run D remained pretty stout with the exception of the first Raven's game.

I think Kiesel played well also, he definetly has more athletisism than Kimo had which might explain the sacks and QB pressures. I believe the linebackers were getting hit alot more often by opposing O-linemen and getting worn down thruout the games ie Ray Lewis 2005. I think the Pats are a prime example of what a D-line can bring to the D. Their LB corp was thin and questionable, their secondary thin and questionable. What has been consistent for the Pats is a dominating D-line. Don't take my word for it, ask LITP or look at the Ravens this year. Or maybe every other unit on D had a dropoff except the D-line?!?!
IMO the only dominant players we have on defense are Hampton and Troy. And Troy was hurt almost all year and it showed. A dominating D-line masks many weaknesses.

Livinginthe past
12-26-2006, 07:06 PM
I think Kiesel played well also, he definetly has more athletisism than Kimo had which might explain the sacks and QB pressures. I believe the linebackers were getting hit alot more often by opposing O-linemen and getting worn down thruout the games ie Ray Lewis 2005. I think the Pats are a prime example of what a D-line can bring to the D. Their LB corp was thin and questionable, their secondary thin and questionable. What has been consistent for the Pats is a dominating D-line. Don't take my word for it, ask LITP or look at the Ravens this year. Or maybe every other unit on D had a dropoff except the D-line?!?!
IMO the only dominant players we have on defense are Hampton and Troy. And Troy was hurt almost all year and it showed. A dominating D-line masks many weaknesses.

The Patriots invested three 1st round picks for their starting d-linemen.

Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork and Ty Warren.

Brady is the only guy on the roster more valuable to what the Patriots do than Seymour - Ty Warren has had an outstanding year and is approaching that level of star potential.

They also paid the '4th guy' Jarvis Green an $18million 5 year contract - thats how highly they rate the position.

Its not a glamorous position and the stats are never going to get you to the probowl but its where the run stopping ability springs from and where blockers are tied up so the LBers can charge in and get the sack stats.

If you're not getting heat on the QB, it pays to look at the d-line.

Another case in point would be Ray Lewis' rebirth this year with rookie Haloti Ngata tying up blockers.

NM

DACEB
12-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks LITP

Livinginthe past
12-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Thanks LITP

Hey,

No problem.

Its was a good football point you made and the facts back it up.

NM

steelergirlrocks
12-26-2006, 07:51 PM
I like Joey!

LarryNJ
12-26-2006, 08:26 PM
I don't remember much dirtyn play from Lambert but I do from Joe Greene...kicking Browns in the gut while they were laying on the ground.....hehehehe...

I don't mind a few cheap shots but what I don't like is the big mouth show boat BS. Do your job and move on. Sort of like Jack Ham and Andy Russell used to. tackle the RB for a 4 yard loss and go back to the huddle.

HometownGal
12-26-2006, 08:42 PM
I would have thought Jack Lambert was alot dirtier than Joey Porter - they were allowed to get away with alot more back in Jacks day.

Don't get me wrong- I hate all the cheap childish smack Porter brings too - but I would have imagined that a poke in the eye would be the last of the problems for a guy stuck under a pile that included Jack.

NM

Players in the 70's and 80's didn't need to talk smack before a game - they did all of their smacking where it was most effective - - on the FIELD, before the NFL pussified the game. :thumbsup:

stillers4me
12-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Players in the 70's and 80's didn't need to talk smack before a game - they did all of their smacking where it was most effective - - on the FIELD, before the NFL pussified the game. :thumbsup:

The truth in a nutshell.......:thumbsup:

polamalufan43
12-26-2006, 08:46 PM

I have to agree. Although, I think trash talking alittle won't hurt anything, most of the time it becomes excessive. Which, isn't always the players fault. We wouldn't know anything about it if it weren't for the media making it public. They are just trying to keep their jobs, and they will do anything to do so. Personally, I like Joey on our team, but one of these days he is going to go too far. When and where that day will come, is another story entirely.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-26-2006, 11:16 PM
I would have thought Jack Lambert was alot dirtier than Joey Porter

I don't recall Lambert being considered a dirty player around the league... intense, I think, would be a better word.

[QUOTE=LarryNJ;195288]I don't remember much dirtyn play from Lambert but I do from Joe Greene...kicking Browns in the gut while they were laying on the ground....

Do your job and move on. Sort of like Jack Ham and Andy Russell used to. tackle the RB for a 4 yard loss and go back to the huddle.

I agree with the other thoughts, like the Emporer used to say " Act like you been there before"

Stlrs4Life
12-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Joey got beat by a rookie on Sunday. And he wasn't double teamed.

Livinginthe past
12-27-2006, 10:29 AM

You know, you're exactly right.

Thats what makes the smack-talk of today so very lame.

The Steelers are notorious (as are the Patriots) for having plenty to say after a big hit or a good play on the field which I think is all part of out-psyching an opponent and fair game.

What I dont like are the pre-mediatated grandstanding smack-talk-athons that lead up to certain games - it just seems childish.

NM

clevestinks
12-27-2006, 11:08 AM

I hate to disagree, but those players didn`t have the media looking over thier shoulder every second before and after the game. They didn`t have ESPN making a big deal about the smack talk. And the sure did`nt have the internet, so that the story goes on and on. I`m sure the old Steelers vs raiders ga,es were full of pregame smack, mostof which never made the news, and probably would need beeped over and over today. we all know today the medis blows everything up, hell there were only a couple of cameras covering each game, so we didnt even see the little things over and over like today.

DrDangler
12-27-2006, 12:06 PM
All I know of JP is what I see on TV, and read in the media. From this, one would conclude that he is an intense, talented player.

However, the way he conducts himself, on and off the field, demonstrates character that is lacking. He is not a person that I would look up to.

His antics surely pump up the Steelers (and often their opponents), but they also serve to diminish the class of the team, as has already been mentioned by others.

Despite his faults, I guess I don't mind having him on the team (if he can contain himself and eliminate the dirty play).

I guess the real point that I want to make is that JOEY PORTER IS NO JACK LAMBERT. (This is the only circumstance under which they should ever even appear in the same sentence.)

DD

BigDuke6
12-27-2006, 01:00 PM
***** NOTE *****

Let me begin by saying that I didn't get to see the game against the Ratbirds here in Florida, so I am not up-to-speed on Porter's last bit of shenanigans:
I understand that Jamal Lewis ran him over, and a few plays later, during an ensuing pile-up, Porter roughed-him-up/poked his eye/grasped his face-mask, etc.....
:hunch:

Many of today's younger fans see nothing wrong with 'thuggery-as-motivation', but I believe many experienced football fans see it as what it is:

Today's players are well-paid, highly-trained athletes, and they should display at-least SOME decorum & class when on the playing field:
players before them, like Joe Greene, Bubba Smith, Deacon Jones, Mike Curtis, Jack Lambert, Dick Butkus and Mike Singletary motivates their teams by playing AT the line determining fair and foul-play, but these guys today discredit themselves, and the game, when they can't keep their composure, and cross the line into 'street-thug' territory.

Nah....it wasnt that dramatic...Lewis straight-armed Haggans and went thru him....Joey actually came up and made the tackle....Lewis should have been penalized 15 yards for his shenanigans after that...but he wasnt...On the ensuing play Joey was last into the pile and gave Lewis a little (emphasis on little) business....He never poked him in the eye...Lewis was taken off and they put some drops in his eyes on the sidelines to justify the refs over-reaction and subsequent 15 yard penalty to Joey....Joeys actions were mild....the 15 yard penalty was a gross over reaction because the refs knew they erred not giving Lewis the 15 yards 2 plays earlier.
It was more a case of ref error and penalizing a reputation. It was crap by the refs.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Alot of what Joe Greene and Lambert did that is called "dirty" by todays standards was the 70's reaction to showboats...if you tried to show up a defensive player in those days by taunting or celebrating...you had better be prepared...because those type of antics were taken care of on the field...immediatly!!!...AND the refs werent beyond being "taken to task" anyone remember a specific game where the official refused to call holding...and Joe Greene picked up the ball and threw it into the stands.
By todays standards we see a Hotdog get away with self-promotion and think nothing of it...in those days..that was a good way to be burping up leather for a week.

steelerbackr4life
12-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Nah....it wasnt that dramatic...Lewis straight-armed Haggans and went thru him....Joey actually came up and made the tackle....Lewis should have been penalized 15 yards for his shenanigans after that...but he wasnt...On the ensuing play Joey was last into the pile and gave Lewis a little (emphasis on little) business....He never poked him in the eye...Lewis was taken off and they put some drops in his eyes on the sidelines to justify the refs over-reaction and subsequent 15 yard penalty to Joey....Joeys actions were mild....the 15 yard penalty was a gross over reaction because the refs knew they erred not giving Lewis the 15 yards 2 plays earlier.
It was more a case of ref error and penalizing a reputation. It was crap by the refs.

That is exactly the way I saw it. The only problem I had with the whole series is that they failed to rise up and stop the drive. In the past when an official or an opposing player or teams actions on the field would be detrimental to the Steelers and what they wanted to do on the field, they would man up band together and overcome. Remember Troys interception that wasnt an interception?

I think that is basicly my biggest dissapointment with this season for whatever reason when this years squad is faced with adversity they dont answer as a team. IMO alot of the other players need to take exception to someone coming into their house and showing them up.

steelerbackr4life
12-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Alot of what Joe Greene and Lambert did that is called "dirty" by todays standards was the 70's reaction to showboats...if you tried to show up a defensive player in those days by taunting or celebrating...you had better be prepared...because those type of antics were taken care of on the field...immediatly!!!...AND the refs werent beyond being "taken to task" anyone remember a specific game where the official refused to call holding...and Joe Greene picked up the ball and threw it into the stands.
By todays standards we see a Hotdog get away with self-promotion and think nothing of it...in those days..that was a good way to be burping up leather for a week.

Jack Lambert manhandling a Cowboy for taunting his kicker after a missed fg in the Super Bowl is a memory that will forever be etched in my mind.

fansince'76
12-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Jack Lambert manhandling a Cowboy for taunting his kicker after a missed fg in the Super Bowl is a memory that will forever be etched in my mind.

Cliff Harris deserved exactly what he got.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Cliff Harris deserved exactly what he got.

Nowdays: Hotdogs self promote and taunt...refs flag the Defensive player who is taunted if he retaliates

Then: Players promoted themselves by ability..if you show me up with your play ..you are the better man...show me up by taunting me at it will be self regulated on the field

awww for the good old days!!!