PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye old Friend

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-27-2006, 08:29 AM
As I mentioned in another post...last night was a sad time in our household....we laid to rest my old steeler sweatshirt after 12 years...numerous wins, (some losses)...playoff appearances, championship games..and two superbowls.

My old friend was there to catch both my tears...and my chili-cheese dip. He kept me warm at games...and let the world know that I was a fan of the Greatest Team in the World.

I am so glad that he got to see a Superbowl win before he went to that big Laundromat in the sky.

So please join me in saying ..Goodbye...compadre...amigo...friend.:tombstone

Stlrs4Life
12-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Just frame it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Just frame it.

If I tried to frame that old shirt and put it on the wall in my house...my wife MAY have burnt the house down around it to keep others from knowing about my "problem"

Stlrs4Life
12-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Which sweatshirt was it?

clevestinks
12-27-2006, 08:53 AM
In my Steelers basement, I have seven black bar stools at the bar, I reupholster them all the time with old Steelers shirts, it helps protect the black leather underneath and it looks cool in the all Steelers room

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Which sweatshirt was it?

Black sweatshirt with steeler logo in the center surrounded by a gold hypocycloid..."Pittsburgh" above the logo and "Steelers" beneath.....oh....and the collar was worn out and there was about 17 holes in various places

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-27-2006, 08:59 AM
In my Steelers basement, I have seven black bar stools at the bar, I reupholster them all the time with old Steelers shirts, it helps protect the black leather underneath and it looks cool in the all Steelers room

Now THAT is cool!!!..I am in the middle of re-decorating the bathroom off of the family room....It is Black on the bottom and Gold on the top..I painted a Logo on one wall and a helmet on the other....I am going to steal an idea from another member in the forum and put all my "road to the Superbowl" SI covers in black frames....I painted the door trim black and the door itself gold..with 8 inch letters (painted black) that spell Steelers down the door....

meanjoecoop
12-27-2006, 09:02 AM
My deepest sympathy on your loss. The warmth he held in you and the pride he exuded will always be with you. I know he's hanging on one of those big plush hangers looking good as new. Right next to my old Joe Greene jersey from when I was a kid.

Take heart in knowing that they lived a long full life. Unlike the many Bengals shirts and jerseys that have been discarded by their owners. Many new with tags...born to fans with no love...its sad.

His Steeelers legacy lives on in the many grand jerseys and great grand jerseys we all have. they are gone but not forgotten.

clevestinks
12-27-2006, 09:06 AM
Now THAT is cool!!!..I am in the middle of re-decorating the bathroom off of the family room....It is Black on the bottom and Gold on the top..I painted a Logo on one wall and a helmet on the other....I am going to steal an idea from another member in the forum and put all my "road to the Superbowl" SI covers in black frames....I painted the door trim black and the door itself gold..with 8 inch letters (painted black) that spell Steelers down the door....

My bathroom, in the garage, is covered in black framed, 70`c 80`, 90`s Steelers SI`s, with a memoribilia shelf, and Steelers border around the top. It also has 41 different Steelers, Pirates and Penguins beer cans. My Steelers collection of collectibles is well over 1000 items now. Running out of space, my entire basement, part of my home office, and garage bathroom, and my best friend even put the Steelers logo in my new sidewalk going to the pool deck, and the deck is surrouned with Steelers walking stones in the mulch beds, I`ve got a disease!

tony hipchest
12-27-2006, 09:11 AM
I`ve got a disease!i think its called hypocloidia :chuckle:

HometownGal
12-27-2006, 09:12 AM
I feel your pain, my friend. It is so difficult putting those old friends down, but you must do what you must do. :tombstone

I have a friend in Newark who is a die-hard Steelers fan and when her husband retires his Steelers sweatshirts, she makes lamp shade covers out of them - she gets 2 or 3 small shade covers from 1 sweatshirt for her decorative lamps. She puts a special plastic covering over them to preserve 'em and they look fabulous!

I still have 3 Steelers sweatshirts from back in the day - one from the late 60's and 2 from the dynasty years. They are in my cedar chest encased in plastic and look good as new. When it's time for me to take my dirt nap, they're going to be right there beside me. :tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-27-2006, 09:19 AM
My bathroom, in the garage, is covered in black framed, 70`c 80`, 90`s Steelers SI`s, with a memoribilia shelf, and Steelers border around the top. It also has 41 different Steelers, Pirates and Penguins beer cans. My Steelers collection of collectibles is well over 1000 items now. Running out of space, my entire basement, part of my home office, and garage bathroom, and my best friend even put the Steelers logo in my new sidewalk going to the pool deck, and the deck is surrouned with Steelers walking stones in the mulch beds, I`ve got a disease!

If I lived closer to Pittsburgh..I would probably be broke from all the stuff I could buy.

clevestinks
12-27-2006, 09:28 AM
If I lived closer to Pittsburgh..I would probably be broke from all the stuff I could buy.

I`m in Ohio now, but my grandfather owned a bar, and as a kid I collected beer cans and sign, so I had a great head start. My pool table in the basement in from my grandfathers bar, I`ve had it refelted in black and gold, well the gold is called camel gold its as close as they had.

floodcitygirl
12-27-2006, 09:31 AM
My bathroom, in the garage, is covered in black framed, 70`c 80`, 90`s Steelers SI`s, with a memoribilia shelf, and Steelers border around the top. It also has 41 different Steelers, Pirates and Penguins beer cans. My Steelers collection of collectibles is well over 1000 items now. Running out of space, my entire basement, part of my home office, and garage bathroom, and my best friend even put the Steelers logo in my new sidewalk going to the pool deck, and the deck is surrouned with Steelers walking stones in the mulch beds, I`ve got a disease!A Steeler basement, landscaping, and homemade perogis!!!! That's it! I'm coming for a visit! :cheers:

Oh, BTW LLT......so sorry for your loss. I'll eat a perogi in your shirt's honor. :smile:

clevestinks
12-27-2006, 09:42 AM
A Steeler basement, landscaping, and homemade perogis!!!! That's it! I'm coming for a visit! :cheers:

Oh, BTW LLT......so sorry for your loss. I'll eat a perogi in your shirt's honor. :smile:

Anytime, we enjoy guest especially Steelers fans. My best piece of memoribilia is a browns helmet sticker, in the bottom of the toilet in the garage, just take aim! Is best when a friend that is a browns fan come over and they have to go on the helmet, life is good!

floodcitygirl
12-27-2006, 10:00 AM
Anytime, we enjoy guest especially Steelers fans. My best piece of memoribilia is a browns helmet sticker, in the bottom of the toilet in the garage, just take aim! Is best when a friend that is a browns fan come over and they have to go on the helmet, life is good!That's hysterical! Any chance you could add a Bengal's sticker before I arrive??? I promise to practice my target shooting ahead of time???!!! :thmbup:

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2006, 10:03 AM
As I mentioned in another post...last night was a sad time in our household....we laid to rest my old steeler sweatshirt after 12 years...numerous wins, (some losses)...playoff appearances, championship games..and two superbowls.

My old friend was there to catch both my tears...and my chili-cheese dip. He kept me warm at games...and let the world know that I was a fan of the Greatest Team in the World.

I am so glad that he got to see a Superbowl win before he went to that big Laundromat in the sky.

It sucks to hear that man.

Stlrs4Life
12-27-2006, 10:21 AM
That's hysterical! Any chance you could add a Bengal's sticker before I arrive??? I promise to practice my target shooting ahead of time???!!! :thmbup:

Huh? You don't have to aim?:flap:

polamalufan43
12-27-2006, 10:34 AM
RIP the blessed Steeler jersey, It will be missed,

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Next Season marks the retirement of my Antwaan Randle El Jersey. I never got a replacement for it, so that was my Jersey for 2006. I used it only for 3 seasons. I had for the great 15-1 ride and the ride all the way to Detroit, then through this bad year.

I just hope my new Farrior Jersey gets to see the light of day in 1 game with Farrior as a player, otherwise I'll have to go FA shopping again. LOL.

HometownGal
12-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Next Season marks the retirement of my Antwaan Randle El Jersey. I never got a replacement for it, so that was my Jersey for 2006. I used it only for 3 seasons. I had for the great 15-1 ride and the ride all the way to Detroit, then through this bad year.

I just hope my new Farrior Jersey gets to see the light of day in 1 game with Farrior as a player, otherwise I'll have to go FA shopping again. LOL.

I'm the official kiss of death when it comes to buying jerseys of players who leave in a year or two - LOL! If I buy the shirt, they're as good as gone. I was given a Farrior jersey as a birthday gift last year and he's still around - maybe my luck (or theirs) is changing! :banana:

floodcitygirl
12-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Huh? You don't have to aim?:flap:Please tell me that I don't need to explain it to ya...... :blush:

steelerbackr4life
12-27-2006, 11:54 AM

I have that same problem every time Im leaving the strip.

steelerbackr4life
12-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Please tell me that I don't need to explain it to ya...... :blush:

If that was neccesary we would be sinking to the level of some other sites in not only content but intelligence levels.
:toofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-27-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm the official kiss of death when it comes to buying jerseys of players who leave in a year or two - LOL! If I buy the shirt, they're as good as gone.

Hmmmm...maybe we can use this to our advantage....could you buy a Cedric Wilson jersey sometime very soon

Man_Of_Steel
12-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Man, I know the feeling. I wore my Bettis jersey for the last time during the Super Bowl. As Jerome retires, so did my jersey. Its still in mint condition but I don't feel its right to wear it if Jerome is not on the team.

Preacher
12-27-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm the official kiss of death when it comes to buying jerseys of players who leave in a year or two - LOL! If I buy the shirt, they're as good as gone. I was given a Farrior jersey as a birthday gift last year and he's still around - maybe my luck (or theirs) is changing! :banana:

I have an easy solution for that... Buy replithentic jersey's from the 70's team. I bought a Lambert Jersey before the SB...

I doubt he will be traded or leave in free agency anytime soon!!!! :thumbsup:

clevestinks
12-27-2006, 04:12 PM
I bought an uthentic Kordell Stewart Jersey from a garage sale two years ago, my sister called me and said they wanted a dollar for it, sewn on numbers and all. So I bought for a buck, and hung it around our weight room/gym, well low-and-behold we draft Holmes, so I just order a Holmes names plate, my wife will sew it on and i`ll have an authentic Holmes jersey for $20.99, good deal

sumo
12-27-2006, 04:28 PM

Dude -

I have a white vintage Jack Lambert Jersey with several large orangish stains on it - but I still wear it all the time - when people ask me what the stains are from I get to tell one of the greatest football watching stories of all time - I'm sitting in a large sports bar in Seattle watching Superbowl XL - surrounded by 50-60 rabid Seahawks fans - when Willie breaks his long run - I stand up and yell "YES - GO WITH IT BABY!!!" and instinctively start doing my signature sprinkler dance - forgetting that it was also Shaun Alexander's TD dance for a while - Seahwaks fans think I'm not only being obnoxious but mocking Shaun Alexander in the process and they begin pelting me with Chicken Wings, nachos, etc - the two guys I'm with help protect me and calm everybody down - the manager wants to throw me out - and I use the Lambert line to the refs from Superbowl 10 after tossing Cliff Harris to the ground - "you can't throw me out - this is the Superbowl!" - This jersey - orange stains and all will never be thrown away!!!! (my wife has tried already several times because she thinks it looks tacky and is sick of hearing my story)

stillers4me
12-27-2006, 06:44 PM
This thread warms my heart..........

Here's our beloved Steelers, done for the season with only one more matter to take care of (booting the Bungles into next year) and no playoffs to look forward to. Our fearless leader (the Chin), ready to make a fast exit out the back door and we still mourn the loss of a favorite Steeler shirt. The memories, the tears, the beer stains, the chicken wings, all so near and dear to our little black and gold souls. God, I love being a Steeler fan.

........LOL HTG.......dirt nap!!!

Oh yeah.....my sincere condolences for your loss......

tony hipchest
12-27-2006, 07:06 PM
I bought an uthentic Kordell Stewart Jersey from a garage sale two years ago, my sister called me and said they wanted a dollar for it, sewn on numbers and all. So I bought for a buck, and hung it around our weight room/gym, well low-and-behold we draft Holmes, so I just order a Holmes names plate, my wife will sew it on and i`ll have an authentic Holmes jersey for $20.99, good dealexcellent deal! i'd wear a p. burress jersey for a buck! hell, i spent 4 bucks on an eagles rickey watters jersey. i alway scour the sales racks in the off season for players who have been cut or traded. 2 of my favorites are cardinals s. beurlein, and colts m. faulk (now theyre considered "throwback"). i still wear my c. lake i got after he went to jax.

i even wear a dallas jersey! (jason kidd of the mavericks). i do draw the line at players like e. mccafrey or c. dillon and anyone cowboys.

Preacher
12-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Dude -

I have a white vintage Jack Lambert Jersey with several large orangish stains on it - but I still wear it all the time - when people ask me what the stains are from I get to tell one of the greatest football watching stories of all time - I'm sitting in a large sports bar in Seattle watching Superbowl XL - surrounded by 50-60 rabid Seahawks fans - when Willie breaks his long run - I stand up and yell "YES - GO WITH IT BABY!!!" and instinctively start doing my signature sprinkler dance - forgetting that it was also Shaun Alexander's TD dance for a while - Seahwaks fans think I'm not only being obnoxious but mocking Shaun Alexander in the process and they begin pelting me with Chicken Wings, nachos, etc - the two guys I'm with help protect me and calm everybody down - the manager wants to throw me out - and I use the Lambert line to the refs from Superbowl 10 after tossing Cliff Harris to the ground - "you can't throw me out - this is the Superbowl!" - This jersey - orange stains and all will never be thrown away!!!! (my wife has tried already several times because she thinks it looks tacky and is sick of hearing my story)

THAT IS HI-LARIOUS! (pronounced hI-lAri E s.

4xSBChamps
12-27-2006, 08:00 PM
I still have the first Stiller jersey I ever owned, bought @ J.C. Penney's at the old Greengate Mall in 1973, Black knit/nylon with rubberized-numbers (long-gone ), and a 4"-wide embroidered patch with 'stripes' on the sleeves:
I ain't sayin' it 'fits' very-well (fiancee would look DYNAMITE in it with a skirt & heels..... ), but I still got it.
:cheers:

Preacher
12-28-2006, 02:11 AM
I still have the first Stiller jersey I ever owned, bought @ J.C. Penney's at the old Greengate Mall in 1973, Black knit/nylon with rubberized-numbers (long-gone ), and a 4"-wide embroidered patch with 'stripes' on the sleeves:
I ain't sayin' it 'fits' very-well , but I still got it.
:cheers:

LOL... I can just imagine the condition of that jersey now.