PDA

View Full Version : The Official Bill Cowher Retirement discussion thread

Pages : 1 [2]

MACH1
01-04-2007, 05:28 PM
yeah of course it could depend on how successful the team is with the new hc. If certain players want to stay or not and the $$$.

12+88=6
01-04-2007, 05:58 PM
i just saw this on yahoo.

Report: Steelers coach Cowher to resign Monday

January 4, 2007
PITTSBURGH (Ticker) - Bill Cowher, the NFL's longest current tenured coach, reportedly will retire from the Pittsburgh Steelers on Monday.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, citing unidentified sources with knowledge of the situation, reported Thursday on its web site that Cowher will return to the Steel City on Monday to make an announcement regarding his future and is expected to step down.

According to the report, Cowher has told a handful of people that he will reveal his decision when he returns Monday from Raleigh, North Carolina, where he met Tuesday with Steelers with chairman Dan Rooney and president Art Rooney II.

The team has not scheduled a news conference. However, the report said Cowher has told friends and associates he wants to spend more time with his family. His oldest daughter plays college basketball for Princeton and he has two other teenage daughters.

Cowher is less than a year removed from a long-awaited Super Bowl triumph that cemented his status as one of the NFL's top contemporary coaches. He has coached the Steelers since 1992 and has one year remaining on his contract.

clevestinks
01-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Its not looking good!

SteelCityMan786
01-04-2007, 06:05 PM
I just hope that it ain't so and he announces that he is staying.

meanjoecoop
01-04-2007, 06:53 PM
ESPN 1250 just reported that the Steelers head office has reported that Bill Cowher will officially step down as coach on Monday. Anyone else hear this?

Hines0wnz
01-04-2007, 06:54 PM
I just read it on foxsports website. :computer:

fansince'76
01-04-2007, 06:55 PM
ESPN 1250 just reported that the Steelers head office has reported that Bill Cowher will officially step down as coach on Monday. Anyone else hear this?

:crying01: :crying01: :crying01: :crying01: :crying01:

MACH1
01-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Not yet--I was just reading an artical about what he might do on espn. Here is what part of it said.

Within the Steelers' inner circle, it has been widely accepted that a decision would come early next week -- and that Cowher would likely walk away from the NFL for at least a year. One organizational source said that he felt Cowher "had one foot out the door" as early as last spring. Cowher has conceded that, after the team's Super Bowl XL victory 11 months ago, he considered retirement.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2720242

meanjoecoop
01-04-2007, 06:58 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6333920

sumo
01-04-2007, 06:59 PM
It will also be reported that the Chin will accept the Miami job - five years 35 million ...just kidding - I think...

Infamix
01-04-2007, 06:59 PM
jeez...wow

polamalufan43
01-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah, they think he will retire. But we don't know for sure. Right when I heard that he was going to retire I looked on different sites and more of them said he going to announce his plans Monday.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

PalmerSteel
01-04-2007, 07:09 PM
thats too bad. if he does retire and unless the panthers make the superbowl next year, i think he will have so much money thrown at him that he will be the carolina HC in '08.

polamalufan43
01-04-2007, 07:11 PM
There's talk he might go to Miami, but I'm not saying it's true or not. We'll know by Monday what the answer is.

stillers4me
01-04-2007, 07:11 PM
There's nothing in those articles that we didn't already know. Until it comes out of Cowher's mouth, it's still speculation and reporters trying to one up each other when there's nothing to report yet.

tony hipchest
01-04-2007, 07:13 PM
although (if true) this really isnt news (except for an actual date) i have some random thoughts:

-jeff fisher will surpass cowhers modern era record with 1 team, have success, and feel really well compensated doing it.

-cowher will be #1 on jerry jones list as a replacement for bill parcells in 08. with gibbs possibly retiring (again) too. the bidding war, of all bidding wars will be seen for a coach.

talk about going from hardly any leverage at all, to all the leverage in the world!

good job bill! :cheers:

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2007, 07:13 PM
The ESPN 1250 story is a paraphrase of the story the P-G put up mid-day that Cowher is "expected" to announce his retirement on Monday. The ESPN and SI web sites have not moved off that to a definite retirement story.

polamalufan43
01-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Well, I guess all of them were getting impatient and just wanted to announce it and get it over with. The media just won't wait.

~polamalufan43:tt02:

klick81
01-04-2007, 07:21 PM
-cowher will be #1 on jerry jones list as a replacement for bill parcells in 08.

WATCH YOUR MOUTH!!! :yuck:

tony hipchest
01-04-2007, 07:27 PM
WATCH YOUR MOUTH!!! :yuck:i know. its a dichotomy that just came to me.

hate bill cowher or like the cowboys?

rock-----me------hard place.

i can hear cowhers agent now. "why sign with the steelers long term now (or miami or carolina)? with in one year i can have both jerry jones and dan snyder tossing leir jets your way like darts."

(keep in mind jerry jones has a new stadium opening and he will want IMMEDIATE success for that inaugural season). cowher will be the object of affection in this game of billionair one upsmanship.

you heard it here first. (just a theory)

HometownGal
01-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Sorry guys - had to move meanjoe's thread here - we're trying to keep all of the Cowher retirement talk in one thread so we don't have 1,000 threads on the same subject. Carry on! :tt02:

tony hipchest
01-04-2007, 07:52 PM
may not have to wait till monday. steelers have called a press conference for 1pm est tomorrow to address cowhers future. (as reported on NFL network)

MACH1
01-04-2007, 07:56 PM
i know. its a dichotomy that just came to me.

i can hear cowhers agent now. "why sign with the steelers long term now (or miami or carolina)? with in one year i can have both jerry jones and dan snyder tossing leir jets your way like darts."

(keep in mind jerry jones has a new stadium opening and he will want IMMEDIATE success for that inaugural season). cowher will be the object of affection in this game of billionair one upsmanship.

Even more reasons to hate the cowgirls. I'll still like Cowher, but if he's a cowgirl it'll be hard.:tt02:

klick81
01-04-2007, 08:04 PM
i know. its a dichotomy that just came to me.

My gf's a lifelong Cowgirl fan. This would be interesting to say the least.

Man_Of_Steel
01-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Bill Cowher will announce his retirement on FRIDAY!

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07004/751251-100.stm

Thursday, January 04, 2007

By Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have a called a news conference for 1 p.m. tomorrow to announce that Bill Cowher will retire after 15 seasons, sources have told the Post-Gazette.

Cowher, 49, will attend the news conference to announce his decision.

Cowher called Steelers chairman Dan Rooney this afternoon and said he did not want to wait any longer to announce his decision.

Cowher was going to wait until Monday, but he did not want to delay the Steelers' search for his successor.

Cowher drove to Raleigh, N.C., Tuesday after meeting with Dan Rooney and president Art Rooney II. He has one year remaining on his contract, but he has told friends and associates he wants to spend more time with his family.

Meantime, offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, one of the leading candidates to replace Cowher, interviewed this morning with the Atlanta Falcons and owner Arthur Blank.

tony hipchest
01-04-2007, 08:31 PM
well this seems half settled then and it seems 2 different decks of cards are being played with.

the rooneys never thought they might be fighting with high spending miami or atlanta for whiz's services.

cowher is probably banking on 2 of the highest spending teams fighting for his services after a years hiatus.

either way it looks like the rooneys may have over played their hand and might have to settle for a 3rd or 4th option.

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Good move to get this over before the weekend.

Steelers can tell Whiz & Grimm to hold on while Steelers interview. Too bad they cannot get Rivera in before the interview window closes for Rivera and Cameron on Sunday.

Sith Lord
01-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Choice #1 Whiz
Choice #2 Grimm
Choice#3, again, I know its crazy but if Ohio State wins the national championship Jim Tressel can opt out of his contract. Offer him some dough and get his ass in here PRONTO!

Preperation is Key.

By the way, Coach Cowher....Thanks for everything man.

Sith Lord
01-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks for your sevice man. Go enjoy your family. You deserve it. This is a crazy business you never know you could be back on our sideline again down the road sometime.

MACH1
01-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Mark Madden proposed that the Rooney's retain the Right of First Refusal with Cowher, and I fully agree. It's a nice safety net, especially since it's readily apparent that Cowher does not intend to stay retired.

What that means (for those that don't know) would be that Cowher is free to retire, but the Steelers still own him under contract for 1 more year of coaching. If he comes back into the NFL, I believe the Steelers are due some form of compensation if he does not return to coach for the Steelers. (I'm not exactly sure how the rule works here, but it is not the same as for the players) That said, the Steelers will hire their new coach. Most likely, when Cowhers youngest daughter goes to college in 2 years, Cowher will reapply for a HC job in the NFL. The Right of First Refusal would mean that Cowher and his agent agree to contact the Steelers first to see if they are interested in hiring him back. If they aren't happy with the new coach, this allows them offer Cowher the job. Cowher still has the right to deny the offer if they can't come to terms and shop himself around, but it at least gives the Steelers an opportunity to return to a known and proven commodity rather than be stuck or search again. If the Steelers are happy with their new coach, then if/when Cowher calls them, they simply say that they aren't looking to replace their coach at this time, thank Bill Cowher, and Cowher would be free to shop himself anywhere he wants.

It'd be a nice little safety net and insurance policy.

Anyhow, Thanks for the memories Bill!! You kept Steeler Football alive and elite!

NV STEELERS 723
01-04-2007, 09:03 PM
I still don't know why I see BC coming back to the STEELERS ....but I just do...

MACH1
01-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the memories Bill!! You kept Steeler Football alive and elite!

tony hipchest
01-04-2007, 09:10 PM
right to refusal sounds nice but its meaningless unless we can get compensation from another team. otherwise the steelers will never offer cowher an offer he would accept, or he wouldve already accepted it.

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2007, 09:10 PM
As usual, Mark Madden has it wrong. Steelers do not have rights to another year of Cowher's services in perpetuity.

If Cowher wants to work in 2007, it will either be in Pittsburgh or, if not in Pittsburgh, only after compensation for Cowher's services is negotiated between his new employer and the Steelers (another poster earlier today said the Raiders got a boatload of top picks to release Gruden to Tampa Bay).

I would imagine the Rooneys would insist on draft picks rather than cash, which would cripple the future of Cowher's new team; for the right money Cowher may not care but it is a deterrent to not sitting out next season.

Alternatively, if Cowher sits out 2007, anyone can hire him in 2008 without giving the Steelers anything - there is no "right of first refusal" after next season.

83-Steelers-43
01-04-2007, 09:14 PM
I still don't know why I see BC coming back to the STEELERS

I don't see why you do either.

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks for reviving a moribund franchise Bill, but as for the rest of your career I hope the increased money is worth giving up the best job you will ever have.

Indy_Steelers
01-04-2007, 09:25 PM
This seems to me that it will be a "why we are glad to finally glad to see the idiot leave" thread very quickly.

Steelers
01-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks, Bill. Enjoy retirement :cheers: and please don't tarnish your reputation by coming back a la Parcels, Gibbs, etc.

83-Steelers-43
01-04-2007, 09:29 PM
This seems to me that it will be a "why we are glad to finally glad to see the idiot leave" thread very quickly.

Really? I have not seen those type of comments made since this situation popped up. I have not seen them in this particular thread. I don't see why it would occur now.

Dynasty
01-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Good bye, and thanks for all the memories. Good luck in your future, Coach Cowher. I only wish you the best.

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Good bye, and thanks for all the memories. Good luck in your future, Coach Cowher. I only wish you the best.

Presumably excluding whenever Cowher's next team is playing the Steelers?
:smile:

Dynasty
01-04-2007, 09:38 PM
oh of course.

noto45
01-04-2007, 09:54 PM
thanks Coach!!!

BigBen2WardPITT
01-04-2007, 10:02 PM
any tribute vids out there for cowher yet?

Man_Of_Steel
01-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks for your sevice man. Go enjoy your family. You deserve it. This is a crazy business you never know you could be back on our sideline again down the road sometime.

I SERIOUSLY see him out of coaching until the Carolina Panthers job becomes open.

83-Steelers-43
01-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Mark Madden proposed

That's all I needed to read..........

steelers07
01-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Goodbye Coach Cowher!! You will be greatly missed!!! Thanks for everything!!!

Stlrs4Life
01-04-2007, 11:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2720242

Goodbye Coach Cowher, thank you for all the memories! Best of luck to you and the family.

tony hipchest
01-04-2007, 11:37 PM
since this is the greatest steelers fansite out there, i certainly hope the second greatest coach in steelers history has earned the right for a "FAREWELL/ THANK YOU BILL" thread all of its own without being lumped in with 300 posts of speculation (once it is official, of course).

HometownGal
01-04-2007, 11:45 PM
since this is the greatest steelers fansite out there, i certainly hope the second greatest coach in steelers history has earned the right for a "FAREWELL/ THANK YOU BILL" thread all of its own without being lumped in with 300 posts of speculation (once it is official, of course).

When it is officially official (did that make sense? LOL!) absolutely, Tony. I think you should be the one to initiate the thread, as well. :thumbsup: :tt02:

tony hipchest
01-04-2007, 11:50 PM
When it is officially official (did that make sense? LOL!) absolutely, Tony. I think you should be the one to initiate the thread, as well. :thumbsup: :tt02:moi? im still foolish enough to have an iota of hope that it wont be needed. :chuckle:

(i'll try to have a thread posted at 1:01 est tomorrow :wink02: )

HometownGal
01-04-2007, 11:59 PM
moi? im still foolish enough to have an iota of hope that it wont be needed. :chuckle:

(i'll try to have a thread posted at 1:01 est tomorrow :wink02: )

I still have a sliver of hope, but I've pretty much accepted the inevitable, though it is hard to "let go". Bill's even more difficult to let go than Noll was when he called it quits.

Yes - YOU! :wink02:

We ask the same of the new thread as we have with the retirement and successor discussions. Please keep all posts to one thread. Thanks!

tony hipchest
01-05-2007, 12:17 AM
I still have a sliver of hope, but I've pretty much accepted the inevitable, though it is hard to "let go". Bill's even more difficult to let go than Noll was when he called it quits.

Yes - YOU! :wink02:

We ask the same of the new thread as we have with the retirement and successor discussions. Please keep all posts to one thread. Thanks!john clayton just reported its over. its over.

it is harder now cause this is coming at the cusp of a potential modern day dynasty (which means 1-2 additional sb's). noll had atleast 5-7 years of mediocrity for fans to get used to the idea that maybe a change was needed.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-05-2007, 01:54 AM
good article on MSNBC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16476903/

By Mike Celizic
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 1 hour, 53 minutes ago

Mike Celizic
If Bill Cowher does, indeed, announce that he is leaving Pittsburgh to spend time with his family, it will be a sad day, not just for Pittsburgh, but for anyone who loves all the best things we say should be associated with sports.

Guys like him used to come around more frequently, but that was in a day when teams and coaches formed relationships that lasted a lifetime. These days, one or two down years are enough to get a coach run out of town. And even if there aren?t any bad years, people move on, forever chasing what looks like a better job and the bigger paycheck that goes with it.

Cowher was a throwback that way, his longevity made possible both by his ability and by the old-fashioned family ownership of the Rooney family, which rode Chuck Noll from 1969 through 1991, then switched to Cowher and rode him until he didn?t want to go any farther. That?s two coaches in 37 years, and you won?t find that with any of the new breed of owners.

The best thing about the relationship was that Cowher was a home-town hero who grew up in Crafton, a suburb of Pittsburgh, went away to North Carolina State for college, and finally, after an NFL career as a linebacker, came home to coach the team he grew up cheering for.

It was a perfect match, and those don?t come around often, either in life or in sports. And no matter what chaos was taking place elsewhere in the league, you could always look to Pittsburgh, the Rooneys and Cowher and feel that there was one place where everything was right, where time stood still, where you could always be certain about who would be running the team next year. It was like a great college coach at the professional level; what Joe Paterno was to Penn State, Cowher was to Pittsburgh.

That?s what we?ll lose when the intense man with the jaw that enters the room 10 minutes before he does leaves the Steelers ? the happy marriage of man and team and town, the shining example of how things should work but never actually do.

Don?t even dream of ever getting it back. It?s not that it can?t happen, just that it?s so unlikely, there?s no sense event thinking about it. Life simply doesn?t work like that, not anymore.

Cowher has coached the Steelers since 1992, making the 2006 season his 15th. It wasn?t all beer and skittles; there were years when some grumbled that he had a problem in the playoffs and maybe somebody else would do better. Maybe in another town and with different owners, he would have been shown the door. But not in Pittsburgh; not the Rooneys.

He got to a Super Bowl after the 1995 season, but lost to the Cowboys. It took another 10 years before he got back, and that?s when people started to ask questions.

But when you look at his career, he and his teams were amazingly consistent. He averaged a 10-6 record for 15 years, and it wasn?t as if he had Terry Bradshaw to run the offense and Mean Joe Greene to lead the defense. He managed to win with Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox. He got to the Super Bowl with Neil O?Donnell. You have to be good to do that.

And Cowher was good. It?s hard to remember a time when you could accuse his team of underachieving. If anything, Cowher?s Steelers overachieved, never more than in 2005, when they won the Super Bowl as a wild-card, sweeping through the playoffs without ever playing a home game.

That was when Cowher showed what he could do with a real quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger. a quarterback who could do special things, he finally won. That was last year in Detroit, where Cowher and Ben Roethlisberger beat the Seahawks and gave Steeler fans the one for the thumb they?d been hoping for since the days of the Steel Curtain.

This year didn?t work out at all. Roethlisberger was nearly killed in an off-season motorcycle accident and the team never could bring it all together. Even so, they played hard to the end, finishing the year with an inspiring win over Cincinnati that knocked the Bengals out of the playoffs.

You can?t begrudge him some time off. Cowher has been either playing the game or walking the sidelines since he was a standout high school athlete at Carlynton High School. I?m not going to call him a hero for that; an awful lot of people work as hard and as long at their jobs but without the money and fame that comes to a leading head coach in the NFL.

Cowher is lucky in that he?s made enough money in his profession to take the rest of his life off. He?s still just 49, and the world is his. He can have a broadcasting job anytime he wants, he can start a new career in something unrelated to anything he?s done, he can collect fat fees to speak to people in suits, he can take a year or two off and come back to coaching. Or, he can put his feet up, watch his twin daughters play basketball at Princeton and catch up with his son. He can do all of the above.

Good for him. Of all the people I write about in this business, Cowher is among the few about whom I couldn?t say a bad word on a bet. He?s been everything that a head coach ? or a truck driver or CEO or anyone ? can ever be expected to be. He?s honest, forthright and hard-working. He treats people with respect and decency. Nobody ever called him ?Slick.? And no one ever called him a phony.

If he leaves, he goes out as what he is: a winner and a ?Stiller.?

MJ5150
01-05-2007, 02:19 AM
I believe Bill that he wants to be with his family. We would all LOVE to take one year off from our job to spend with our wife and kids in a shiny new home. I don't remember him ever lying to us. The fact that he moved up his decision to tomorrow shows some class from him, I think. Then again, maybe I am naive and he wants to get the ball rolling on another HC job he wants. I hope not.

Maybe we can hire him back after he rests up.

I'm bracing myself now for the press conference tomorrow. I have a box of Kleenex next to the TV. It is going to feel SOOOOO strange to see Bill up there in plain clothes saying goodbye to Steeler Nation.

-Mike

steelerfan5
01-05-2007, 05:24 AM
I'm happy that he made his decision and that it will be announced today. I really loved Cowher but it was clear after this past year that he isn't 100% dedicated to coaching the Steelers anymore, and we need that commitment. I'm a Steeler fan first, Cowher fan second. So I will wish him the best in the future, and hope that one day I don't see him coaching another team across the field. That would be weird, but if it happens, I would not boo him. I would certainly not cheer his team on, but I would never be disrespectful like that. The man worked hard for many years here, and for that I thank him. Good luck Bill!

Steelerfan5

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 07:14 AM
Cowher is due to resign today, take 1-year off
Steelers will begin search for successor immediately
Friday, January 05, 2007

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bill Cowher, who led the Steelers to 10 playoff appearances, eight division titles and the fifth Super Bowl title in franchise history, will announce his resignation today after 15 seasons as head coach, sources have told the Post-Gazette.

Cowher and his wife, Kaye, are scheduled to fly to Pittsburgh this morning to attend a 1 p.m. news conference at the team's South Side facility and announce the decision that has been expected for several weeks, if not longer -- that he will resign, at age 49, to spend more time with his family.

"You'll be hearing from me soon enough," Cowher said last night from his home in Raleigh, N.C., where he has spent the past three days. He declined any further comment.

Cowher had planned to return to town and make the announcement Monday. But he called team chairman Dan Rooney -- the man who hired him to replace Chuck Noll in 1992 -- yesterday afternoon to tell him he wasn't going to change his mind and there was no point in delaying the announcement any longer.

Cowher has one year remaining on a contract that paid him between $4.5 million and $4.7 million this season. He said last week he still loves to coach and is not "burned out" from being the longest tenured head coach in the National Football League. He wants to take at least a one-year break from coaching and is not thinking about joining any other team in 2007, whether in the NFL or college football, sources said.

Those same sources also have said Cowher's decision to retire has nothing to do with money and that he is committed to spending the next year with his wife, Kaye, and youngest daughter, Lindsay, in Raleigh.

But those who know Cowher wonder how long he will stay in "retirement" because he is an intense competitor who loves to coach. When his contract with the Steelers expires after 2007, he will be free to sign with another team, without compensation to the Steelers, and likely will attract offers that make him the highest-paid coach in the NFL.

Seattle's Mike Holmgren is believed to be the league's highest-paid coach, making $7 million this season and $8 million in 2007.

The Steelers immediately will begin the search to find his successor. Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, one of the leading candidates to replace Cowher, interviewed yesterday with the Atlanta Falcons and owner Arthur Blank. Offensive line coach Russ Grimm, who is also the team's assistant head coach, is scheduled to interview with the Falcons next week.

The job is attractive to Whisenhunt because he is from Augusta, Ga., played at Georgia Tech and spent four seasons as a tight end with the Falcons. Whisenhunt is also scheduled to interview with the Arizona Cardinals.

Cowher's decision does not come as a surprise because speculation about his future has existed since it was learned in March that he and his wife had purchased a $2.5 million home in Raleigh. The speculation was fueled more when the Steelers announced during training camp they would discontinue negotiations and would not discuss a contract extension with Cowher until after the season -- a discussion that never had to take place.

Cowher's wife and youngest daughter, Lindsay, have been living in Raleigh since late summer because their daughter wanted to play basketball in North Carolina this year. Like he did with his other two daughters, Meagan and Lauren, who are enrolled at Princeton, Cowher has a desire to spend as much time as possible with Lindsay, 15, while she is in high school.

Sometime after the Steelers won Super Bowl XL, Cowher revealed to some in the organization he was entertaining thoughts of retiring. But those sentiments were heightened when he turned down a contract extension he was offered by team president Art Rooney II, a deal that apparently would have paid Cowher between $6 million and $6.5 million annually in the final years of the contract, according to several people with knowledge of the situation.

Nearly three years ago, Cowher talked about coaching nearly forever. He said he didn't even want to think about stepping down at least until Lindsay graduated from high school. But, he changed his mind quickly in the past year or two.

Cowher, perhaps let on more of his growing feeling about resigning at the NFL meetings in Orlando, Fla., in March.

Asked how long he might coach, Cowher said he wasn't sure. "We tried to just take it one year at a time, and I think at the end of each year you have to sit back and reassess where you are and just make sure you still have the passion for doing it. That's the most important thing.

"You want to be fair to the football team to make sure I can make the fullest commitment to giving everything I have."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07005/751454-66.stm

PisnNapalm
01-05-2007, 07:32 AM

We all saw this coming, but it still hurts. I'm saddened by it. Cowher brought a new excitment to Pittsburgh when he took over. We've had a hell uve run with him at the helm.

Thank you Coach Cowher!! You will always be loved in 'da Burgh! :cheers:

HometownGal
01-05-2007, 07:38 AM

We all saw this coming, but it still hurts. I'm saddened by it. Cowher brought a new excitment to Pittsburgh when he took over. We've had a hell uve run with him at the helm.

Thank you Coach Cowher!! You will always be loved in 'da Burgh! :cheers:

Thanks for the article, PisnNapalm. It is going to be a sad day for all of us Steelers fans. I knew he would retire some day as all coaches do, but I just didn't think it would be this soon. All we can do now is to thank him for all of the excitement he has brought us as Steelers fans, wish him well and look forward to the beginning of a new coaching era. :smile:

stlrtruck
01-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Make his Bust for Canton now!!!

We love you Bill!

Just do us a favor when you come out of retirement. Stay out of the AFCN!

BOXCAR JOEY
01-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Ok its pretty much near official that sometime today, FRIDAY 1/5/2007, Bill Cohwer will be annoucing his resignation from the steelers organization. ESPN and mike and mike in the morning have anounced it.

wiqidjuggalo
01-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Ok so who is going to be at the teams Southside Facility to say a final farewell and thank you to The Chin?

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Ok so who is going to be at the teams Southside Facility to say a final farewell and thank you to The Chin?

Good question - I would hope some current and maybe former Steelers would be there to say goodbye unless Cowher has put out the word that everyone said their goodbyes on Monday and/or this is to be Cowher's day and media interviews with players will distract from how the Rooneys + Cowher want this to go down.

Since it is not like Cowher is leaving coaching I personally do not expect this to be emotional for those participating in the conference (as opposed to those of us watching!) - Cowher is simply calling a time out during his career, not ending it.

tony hipchest
01-05-2007, 09:57 AM
good article on MSNBC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16476903/

Or, he can put his feet up, watch his twin daughters play basketball at Princeton and catch up with his son. He can do all of the above.

excellent article. but have i been missing something? twin girls and a son?

bill polian spoke about cowher this morning and talked about what a shame it would be to see him go. not for the steelers in particular but the nfl in general. he used words like funny, integrity, honorable, approachable, to describe him, and said there was no doubt why all his players loved him and would lie it all on the line for him. trully a throwback coach who was nothing but great for the game and respected by ALL his peers and subordinates...

and that is where his steelers legacy will lie in my mind, regardless of the 8-8 season, cause of departure, or what happens in the future.

wiqidjuggalo
01-05-2007, 10:04 AM
I myself am driving down to Southside to bid Bill a fond Farewell if I get to see him and hopefully get to talk to him just to say "Thank you coach for all the fond memories."

klick81
01-05-2007, 10:29 AM
I myself am driving down to Southside to bid Bill a fond Farewell if I get to see him and hopefully get to talk to him just to say "Thank you coach for all the fond memories."

Do me a favor. If you get to talk to him, tell him: Whatever you do, just DON'T BECOME A BROWNS COACH!!!

Hehe...

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 10:31 AM
I assume ESPN ( and certainly NFL Network & ESPN News) will carry the press conference, but for those without access to a TV the kdka.com site states it will carry the confeence live with streaming video.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Eight Reasons Bill Cowher Is Leaving the Steelers
Michael Silver - SI.com

1. The Rooneys don't pay. Sure, Cowher could have gotten a nice extension in Pittsburgh, but he wants to be paid like one of the best coaches in the business and it wasn't going to happen in Pittsburgh.

2. His daughters can ball. Two of Bill's daughters play basketball for Princeton and the third is a high school star in North Carolina. As someone who obsesses over his 10-year-old daughter's soccer games, I can understand why Bill wants to see as many of his kids' games as possible.

3. He's tired. When I saw Cowher this summer riding around St. Vincent College in Latrobe, Pa., on a bike with a built-in motor, I knew his energy level wasn't what it should be.

4. It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that ring. Cowher finally has his, which means no one can ever question his credentials. He can take a step back, reassess and plot his next move.

5. His quarterback was driving him crazy. This may be somewhat of an overstatement, but think about it. Cowher told Ben Roethlisberger to wear a helmet. Ben didn't listen. Think that was the only time that happened?

6. Whiz is leaving. Few coaches have hired such impressive assistants year after year, but Cowher, who knows brainy offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt is about to get a head-coaching job, wouldn't so easily have replaced his gutsy play-caller.

7. The Steelers are done. Well, maybe not done, but this team will have to revamp to compete for another title. Like Tampa Bay in 2002, the '05 Steelers were so drained after years of trying to reach the top, they didn't have another run in them.

8. The Brink's Truck is on his way. All Cowher has to do is sit back, chill, maybe do a little TV, and his value goes up ... and up ... and up ... and up. Meanwhile, owners like Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones will become more and more desperate for a proven winner and master motivator who can take their franchises to the top. Can you say bidding war?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/michael_silver/01/04/cowher.leaves/index.html

tony hipchest
01-05-2007, 10:41 AM
I assume ESPN ( and certainly NFL Network & ESPN News) will carry the press conference, but for those without access to a TV the kdka.com site states it will carry the confeence live with streaming video.
hmmm... i guess i will have to go home for lunch today. still 1:00 est correct?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-05-2007, 12:16 PM
yes it is on ESPN and also NFL Network..........
I hope we keep Whisenhunt as our Head Coach, he has the steel curtain look to him

ARKIESTEEL
01-05-2007, 12:26 PM
I am at work can someone get this put on here soon after its over

one for the thumb
01-05-2007, 12:46 PM
The sig was made for me a little over a year ago, sorry. I`m not sure how to make one so I`ll go without!

If you need one I'll hook you up. Just give me some ideas. I for one am going to miss Cowher on the sideline. I think it was time for him to go. But come on he was an icon! See ya Bill. Good luck! Go Steelers.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/cadensdad/smallsteel.gifhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/cadensdad/smallsteel.gifhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/cadensdad/smallsteel.gif

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 01:00 PM
FSN Pittsburgh with Stan Savern just cut in and it's going to start right now. Rooney's are coming out.

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Bill Cowher has officially announced his retirement from the Pittsburgh Steelers.

one for the thumb
01-05-2007, 01:07 PM
here are a couple for ya. You can also say they were being made as Cowher retires on tv.
2 different sizes.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/cadensdad/clevestinks.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/cadensdad/clevestinks1.jpg

one for the thumb
01-05-2007, 01:08 PM
He is retiring on nfl network right now.... Gonna miss ya Bill!

HometownGal
01-05-2007, 01:11 PM
I tried so hard not to cry, but I can't help it. Bill is going to be one helluva tough act to follow and I'm really going to miss The Chin, but as he said, he is doing what he feels is best for he and his family and I can't fault him for that.

Where's Tony - he's supposed to start the Goodbye Bill thread!!! :tt02:

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Take care Bill. Thanks for the memories but the time has come for both the franchise and yourself to move on. Enjoy yourself.

On that note, let's go Rooney's. Do what you do best. I have faith.

http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20070105brk_cowhercombo_407.jpg

Borski
01-05-2007, 01:12 PM
When it is officially official (did that make sense? LOL!) absolutely, Tony. I think you should be the one to initiate the thread, as well. :thumbsup: :tt02:

well, its Officially Official

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Cowher makes it official: He's gone
Friday, January 05, 2007

Bill Cowher stood before the cameras one final time as the Steelers head coach to announce today that he is resigning the job he has held for 15 years.

"After careful and deliberate consideration I've decided to resign today," Cowher said. "I've given it a lot of thought and believe it's in the best interests of my family and myself at this time."

Cowher, who grew up in Crafton, said coaching in the NFL and winning the Super Bowl had always been a dream.

"To be able to do that and realize that in the city I was born and raised in -- this Crafton boy lived a dream."

He also thanked the Steelers fans for their their passion and support.

"You can take the people out of Pittsburgh, but you you can't take the Pittsburgh out of people."

Cowher, 49, was the longest-tenured coach in the NFL and had led the Steelers to 10 playoff appearances, eight division titles and the fifth Super Bowl title in franchise history.

Cowher and his wife, Kaye, flew to Pittsburgh this morning to attend the 1 p.m. news conference at the team's South Side facility and announce the decision that has been expected for several weeks, if not longer.

Cowher had planned to return to town and make the announcement Monday. But he called team chairman Dan Rooney -- the man who hired him to replace Chuck Noll in 1992 -- yesterday afternoon to tell him he wasn't going to change his mind and there was no point in delaying the announcement any longer.

Cowher has one year remaining on a contract that paid him between $4.5 million and $4.7 million this season. He said last week he still loves to coach and is not "burned out" from being the longest tenured head coach in the National Football League. He wants to take at least a one-year break from coaching and is not thinking about joining any other team in 2007, whether in the NFL or college football, sources said.

Those same sources also have said Cowher's decision to retire has nothing to do with money and that he is committed to spending the next year with his wife, Kaye, and youngest daughter, Lindsay, in Raleigh.

But those who know Cowher wonder how long he will stay in "retirement" because he is an intense competitor who loves to coach. When his contract with the Steelers expires after 2007, he will be free to sign with another team, without compensation to the Steelers, and likely will attract offers that make him the highest-paid coach in the NFL.

Seattle's Mike Holmgren is believed to be the league's highest-paid coach, making $7 million this season and $8 million in 2007.

The Steelers immediately will begin the search to find his successor. Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, one of the leading candidates to replace Cowher, interviewed yesterday with the Atlanta Falcons and owner Arthur Blank. Offensive line coach Russ Grimm, who is also the team's assistant head coach, is scheduled to interview with the Falcons next week.

The Atlanta job is attractive to Whisenhunt because he is from Augusta, Ga., played at Georgia Tech and spent four seasons as a tight end with the Falcons. Whisenhunt is also scheduled to interview with the Arizona Cardinals.

Cowher's decision does not come as a surprise because speculation about his future has existed since it was learned in March that he and his wife had purchased a $2.5 million home in Raleigh. The speculation was fueled more when the Steelers announced during training camp they would discontinue negotiations and would not discuss a contract extension with Cowher until after the season -- a discussion that never had to take place.

Cowher's wife and youngest daughter, Lindsay, have been living in Raleigh since late summer because their daughter wanted to play basketball in North Carolina this year. Like he did with his other two daughters, Meagan and Lauren, who are enrolled at Princeton, Cowher has a desire to spend as much time as possible with Lindsay, 15, while she is in high school.

Sometime after the Steelers won Super Bowl XL, Cowher revealed to some in the organization he was entertaining thoughts of retiring. But those sentiments were heightened when he turned down a contract extension he was offered by team president Art Rooney II, a deal that apparently would have paid Cowher between $6 million and $6.5 million annually in the final years of the contract, according to several people with knowledge of the situation.

Nearly three years ago, Cowher talked about coaching nearly forever. He said he didn't even want to think about stepping down at least until Lindsay graduated from high school. But, he changed his mind quickly in the past year or two.

Cowher, perhaps let on more of his growing feeling about resigning at the NFL meetings in Orlando, Fla., in March.

Asked how long he might coach, Cowher said he wasn't sure. "We tried to just take it one year at a time, and I think at the end of each year you have to sit back and reassess where you are and just make sure you still have the passion for doing it. That's the most important thing.

"You want to be fair to the football team to make sure I can make the fullest commitment to giving everything I have."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07005/751535-100.stm

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Watching the press conference, Bill Cowher so clearly loves both his family and coaching in the NFL it is obviously tough to sacrifice commitment to one for the other, but he is blessed by having such a choice to make.

Good luck Coach and thanks for one hell of a 15 year ride.

HometownGal
01-05-2007, 01:21 PM
well, its Officially Official

Yep, sadly Borski it is. He did it HIS WAY. :tt02:

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Man, I'm going to miss those sweaters. :wink02:

Stillers#1
01-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Man I am sick to my stomach.

HometownGal
01-05-2007, 01:27 PM

I know Stillers. I'm really going to have a good cry when I watch him walk off of that podium for the last time.

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 01:28 PM

No doubt. It's a sad day. But, it's time to look forward and bring in a new era of Steeler football. I'm anxious for this offseason. Time to let the Rooney's work their magic.

ARKIESTEEL
01-05-2007, 01:29 PM
This is rough.......I can see next season also being rough for whoever takes BC place...
With that said we should support whomever puts on the black and gold

Good luck Bill you will be missed and thankyou for all you have done for the Steeler Nation

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 01:30 PM
With that said we should support whomever puts on the black and gold

No doubt. At the same time I'm sure you will have a few morons jump on the next HC after our first loss. Oh well.

Seth88101
01-05-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm in germany, anyone have the retirement clip? Anyone know how soon a new head coach will be signed?

one for the thumb
01-05-2007, 01:34 PM
wow that was tough to watch. Gonna be way different without him on the sidelines. Win or lose.. Here is one for ya hometown gal....

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/cadensdad/chin.jpg

LadySteele
01-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Bill Cowher
A tough act to follow.
Thanks for the greatest 15 years, Bill.
God Bless.
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02::tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Cowher clearly is at peace with himself on this and we need to be as well - he thinks it is time to go and his actions since February make me agree. Nothing worse than staying at the party too long and having to be carried out.

Aside from the breaking news that he is getting a dog, two points I noted were his acknowledgement that quitting today allows the Steelers to conduct interviews of some playoff team coaches this weekend and his emphasis it is a resignation and not a retirement. Kudos to him for finally letting the Steelers move on hiring his successor.

I assume the Rooneys have interviews with Cameron and Rivera lined up this weekend and I would bet my house Cowher is coaching again in 2008

sumo
01-05-2007, 01:43 PM
I know Stillers. I'm really going to have a good cry when I watch him walk off of that podium for the last time.

The only thing certain in life is change - I remember thinking it was going to be impossible to think of the Steelers being the same without Franco and then Lambert, Bradshaw and then Knoll, etc - it's a good time for him to move on - now if he pulls a Saban and turns around and takes the Miami job next week or something like that - then I will be devistated...

floodcitygirl
01-05-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm in germany, anyone have the retirement clip? Anyone know how soon a new head coach will be signed?Mr. Rooney is having another news conference at 2 to discuss the future of the organization.

Is this now the official Goodbye thread???

HometownGal
01-05-2007, 01:57 PM
The only thing certain in life is change - I remember thinking it was going to be impossible to think of the Steelers being the same without Franco and then Lambert, Bradshaw and then Knoll, etc - it's a good time for him to move on - now if he pulls a Saban and turns around and takes the Miami job next week or something like that - then I will be devistated...

I know, and you're right sumo, but as I said in another post, I got more attached to Cowher than I did to Chuck Noll. With Cowher, there was always that Burgh demeanor and 'tude. He's the type of guy you feel you could just sit down with and toss down a few brews.

He's not going to take the vacant HC position in Miami and I don't see him taking another HC position any time in the near future, as he stressed how much it means to him to be able to watch his daughters' basketball games and not have any time constraints.

HometownGal
01-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Mr. Rooney is having another news conference at 2 to discuss the future of the organization.

No, flood - Tony is going to start it when he gets here. It was his idea after all. :wink02:

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Mr. Rooney is having another news conference at 2 to discuss the future of the organization.

That didn't take long to turn the page now did it?:smile:

Hopefully we will hear some interviews are already set up for this weekend.

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 02:01 PM

Hopefully we will hear some interviews are already set up for this weekend.

Amen to that. Let's get rollin'!!!!

floodcitygirl
01-05-2007, 02:02 PM

Hopefully we will hear some interviews are already set up for this weekend.It was already said that there was....I'm sorry I didn't pay alot of attention to who. It was even hard for me to hear over my own wailing.

ExtonSteelFan
01-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Michael Silver wrote this on si.com

What do you all make of item #7 and 6?

1. The Rooneys don't pay. Sure, Cowher could have gotten a nice extension in Pittsburgh, but he wants to be paid like one of the best coaches in the business and it wasn't going to happen in Pittsburgh.

2. His daughters can ball. Two of Bill's daughters play basketball for Princeton and the third is a high school star in North Carolina. As someone who obsesses over his 10-year-old daughter's soccer games, I can understand why Bill wants to see as many of his kids' games as possible.

3. He's tired. When I saw Cowher this summer riding around St. Vincent College in Latrobe, Pa., on a bike with a built-in motor, I knew his energy level wasn't what it should be.

4. It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that ring. Cowher finally has his, which means no one can ever question his credentials. He can take a step back, reassess and plot his next move.

5. His quarterback was driving him crazy. This may be somewhat of an overstatement, but think about it. Cowher told Ben Roethlisberger to wear a helmet. Ben didn't listen. Think that was the only time that happened?

6. Whiz is leaving. Few coaches have hired such impressive assistants year after year, but Cowher, who knows brainy offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt is about to get a head-coaching job, wouldn't so easily have replaced his gutsy play-caller.

7. The Steelers are done. Well, maybe not done, but this team will have to revamp to compete for another title. Like Tampa Bay in 2002, the '05 Steelers were so drained after years of trying to reach the top, they didn't have another run in them.

8. The Brink's Truck is on his way. All Cowher has to do is sit back, chill, maybe do a little TV, and his value goes up ... and up ... and up ... and up. Meanwhile, owners like Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones will become more and more desperate for a proven winner and master motivator who can take their franchises to the top. Can you say bidding war?

I also dont know about item 6, but I do have a feeling that either Whiz or Grimm will be HC. If one gets HC, the other I think will leave.

SteelerFanInCA
Wow, it's a sad day in Steeltown. Good luck Bill. We will miss you around here. Thanks for all the wonderful memories. :tt02:

floodcitygirl
No, flood - Tony is going to start it when he gets here. It was his idea after all. :wink02:Ok thanks. Maybe I'll gain my composure by the time he gets around to it.

floodcitygirl
01-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Mr. Rooney's conference has been moved to 2:30.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Mr. Rooney's conference has been moved to 2:30.

Maybe they need to finish up the obligatory Rooney Rule interview between 1:30 and 2:30
prior to introducing Whiz or Grimm as the new HC :smile:

MJ5150
01-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks Bill. You made my life great on more than one occasion.

Michael Silver usually has good insights into the NFL.

It hurts me so bad to say it, but I think we may be looking at another so-so year while the team is rebuilt. I hope with all my might we don't fall apart like the Bucs have.

-Mike

drizze99
01-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Well, I can't say that I am surprised. I believe he made the right choice to move on. I am not going to miss the spit flying all over the place on the sidelines.

Let the search of a new era in Steelers football begin. I believe Russ Grimm will get the job even though I don't want him too. Wisenhunt's play calling this year was less than stellar. I can see him going to Atlanta or Miami.

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 02:24 PM

It hurts me so bad to say it, but I think we may be looking at another so-so year while the team is rebuilt. I hope with all my might we don't fall apart like the Bucs have.

-Mike

IMO it will be the total opposite. Players tend to play harder when a new coach arrives. They feel the need to impress the new HC.

Just my two cents.

ExtonSteelFan
01-05-2007, 02:24 PM

-Mike

I don't think we will fall apart at all. If we hire in house, I think this team will do quite well next year. If we don't stay within the organization, then there may be some re-building to do with the possibility of another mediocre season.

MJ5150
01-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words fella's. I'm so nervous right now.

Regarding the players playing harder for a new coach comment from 83-43....perhaps this will light a fire under Ike and get him back to what we thought he was worth!! If anyone, he has the MOST to prove to a new HC.

-Mike

MACH1
01-05-2007, 02:35 PM
With a new Boss man, their all under the gun playing for their jobs. IMO

sumo
01-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Michael Silver wrote this on si.com

What do you all make of item #7 and 6?

I also dont know about item 6, but I do have a feeling that either Whiz or Grimm will be HC. If one gets HC, the other I think will leave.

I agree with all of this except for 7 - I think the Steelers will have a winning season next year and Whiz will leave this off season if he doesn't take over for Cowher - we're not even thru with the playoffs yet - after the first round is done - the Giants will be added to teams looking for a replacement and I have a feeling this could even be Holmgren's last year in Seattle ...Whiz will be on the top of everybody's list

tony hipchest
01-05-2007, 03:03 PM
i dont know when this was written but i cant agree with this more. cowhers agent is a smart man. and about to make a grip load of cash for him and his client if this plays out. jerry jones has a new stadium to open in 09.8. The Brink's Truck is on his way. All Cowher has to do is sit back, chill, maybe do a little TV, and his value goes up ... and up ... and up ... and up. Meanwhile, owners like Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones will become more and more desperate for a proven winner and master motivator who can take their franchises to the top. Can you say bidding war?

Big D
01-05-2007, 03:06 PM
i dont know when this was written but i cant agree with this more. cowhers agent is a smart man. and about to make a grip load of cash for him and his client if this plays out. jerry jones has a new stadium to open in 09.

What do you think about this tony. What if Parcells retires after this year. Which i've been hearing could very well happen. I guess he is getting sick of jerry jones. What if the cowgirls offer us great compensation for cowher do you think it would be a good move on our part

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 03:10 PM
There are 2 jobs that Cowher could take where I could never root for him again - Dallas and Oakland (70s memories die hard for me I guess).

Hopefully he will talk with Chan Gailey about what working for Jerry Jones is like and just use a potential Dallas offer as leverage in negotiating a contract with someone else for 2008.

Big D
01-05-2007, 03:11 PM
There are 2 jobs that Cowher could take where I could never root for him again - Dallas and Oakland (70s memories die hard for me I guess).

Hopefully he will talk with Chan Gailey about what working for Jerry Jones is like and just use a potential Dallas offer as leverage in negotiating a contract with someone else for 2008.

As I suggested earlier dan. what if we could get great compensation for him.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 03:14 PM
What do you think about this tony. What if Parcells retires after this year. Which i've been hearing could very well happen. I guess he is getting sick of jerry jones. What if the cowgirls offer us great compensation for cowher do you think it would be a good move on our part

Unless he is as accompished a liar as Saban I cannot see how Cowher does not sit out 2007 after his comments at the press conference - getting compensation for Cowher is better than no compensation, but I think he comes back in 2008 and the Steelers will get zip from his new team.

Big D
01-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Unless he is as accompished a liar as Saban I cannot see how Cowher does not sit out 2007 after his comments at the press conference - getting compensation for Cowher is better than no compensation, but I think he comes back in 2008 and the Steelers will get zip from his new team.

god what if it would be the browns. :banging:

tony hipchest
01-05-2007, 03:18 PM
What do you think about this tony. What if Parcells retires after this year. Which i've been hearing could very well happen. I guess he is getting sick of jerry jones. What if the cowgirls offer us great compensation for cowher do you think it would be a good move on our partsince cowher is already gone it would be a great move to get any type of compensation, but after watching his press conference today, i trully believe he was being genuine and honest. no shifty eyed, snake in the grass body language like belichick or saban. i really think hes doing this for his family.

i bet jones gets rid of t.o. and convinces parcells to stay for 1 more year.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 03:22 PM
god what if it would be the browns. :banging:

Money talks but I think part of Cowher's second act in the NFL will be designed to go off in a somewhat different direction with a glamour team that needs a boost - as T.H.has pointed out in some earlier posts,the dream sitaution for Cowher and his agent is both the Redskins and Cowboys looking for a new coach in 2008. For some reason I see Cowher coming back with a NFC team rather than playing the Steelers twice a year.

But can you imagine what Cleveland-Pittsburgh weeks would be like for the teams and their fans if Cowher coached the Browns?

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Did anyone catch Ed.B.of the P-G on FSN to provde some context to this statement from a P-G online chat this afternoon?

Ed Bouchette, recently said that Cowher told him, "it didn't have to end this way", was there any tension between Cowher and Art Rooney II, that may have pushed Cowher towards resignation?

pg_jerrymicco <A>Ed has said that in our pages and reiterated it today on FSN. And if Ed says it, then it certainly has credibility.

<Q>Is that a yes?

pg_jerrymicco <A>That is a yes, who's next. There was some tension.

Hopefully Ed.B. will elaborate in the P-G on what he thinks Cowher meant by that. The press conference was of course very upbeat, but I did not see any hugs between AJR II and Cowher today - I would hate to think $$ really turn out to be at the root of all this.

HometownGal
01-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Did anyone catch Ed.B.of the P-G on FSN to provde some context to this statement from a P-G online chat this afternoon?

Ed Bouchette, recently said that Cowher told him, "it didn't have to end this way", was there any tension between Cowher and Art Rooney II, that may have pushed Cowher towards resignation?

pg_jerrymicco <A>Ed has said that in our pages and reiterated it today on FSN. And if Ed says it, then it certainly has credibility.

Hopefully Ed.B. will elaborate in the P-G on what he thinks Cowher meant by that. The press conference was of course very upbeat, but I did not see any hugs between AJR II and Cowher today - I would hate to think $$ really turn out to be at the root of all this.

I take nothing Bouchette says at face value - he's had egg on his face too many times in the past, though his sources were correct this time.

I couldn't help but feel a bit of tension between AJRII and Cowher during his PC. I don't think it had to do with money, though - just my gut. The hug between Dan Rooney and Cowher was truly a magical moment, though, and very genuine, imho.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 03:46 PM
I take nothing Bouchette says at face value - he's had egg on his face too many times in the past, though his sources were correct this time.

I couldn't help but feel a bit of tension between AJRII and Cowher during his PC. I don't think it had to do with money, though - just my gut. The hug between Dan Rooney and Cowher was truly a magical moment, though, and very genuine, imho.

HTG - apparently Ed.B.went on about this after today's conference, based on this subsequent statement in the same P-G online chat.

<Q>Is there anything to Ed Bouchette's comments following the press conference about growing discontent between Cowher and the front office (presumably Art Rooney II)?

pg_jerrymicco <A>If Ed said it, there's something to it. Ed is one hell of a reporter.

Obviously not surprised the P-G backs Ed.B.'s credibility, but it looks like Cowher and
AJR II did not get along like Cowher and (as Cowher referred to Dan at the press conference) "Mr. Rooney" did.

Of course I guess I also missed the part of today's conference where Cowher thanked Donahoe for their 8 wonderful years together :)

Now that Coach Cowher is gone, I look for an article in tomorrow or Sunday's P-G laying this out in detail. Anyone hear exactly what Ed.B. said?

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 03:53 PM

<Q>Is that a yes?

pg_jerrymicco <A>That is a yes, who's next. There was some tension.

Ed Bouchette who's opinion I respect more than anybody's in the media when it comes to Steelers football in this city judging that he is closer to the actual team than anybody else outside of the organization basically stated that things did not go as smooth as the majority of people think between Cowher and Rooney.

I will be watching Sports Beat tonight Dan and I will get the exact quote. Ed's going to be on with Stan.

tony hipchest
01-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Obviously not surprised the P-G backs Ed.B.'s credibility, but it looks like Cowher and
AJR II did not get along like Cowher and (as Cowher referred to Dan at the press conference) "Mr. Rooney" did.

Of course I guess I also missed the part of today's conference where Cowher thanked Donahoe for their 8 wonderful years together :)

Now that Coach Cowher is gone, I look for an article in tomorrow or Sunday's P-G laying this out in detail. Anyone hear exactly what Ed.B. said?i did notice cowher refer to dan as mr. rooney several times and saying he was a friend and like a father. art was just "art". :chuckle: didnt say he was like a brother.

art had to be thinking of shaving about $5 mil/ year off the bottom line when looking at the option of cowher or whiz long term. i think art miscalculated a bit. the image and winning cowher brought to the organization has been profitable for the rooneys. i think art was using the "you owe us because we gave you a chance and didnt fire you in 99 or 03", negotiation ploy.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Ed Bouchette who's opinion I respect more than anybody's in the media when it comes to Steelers football in this city judging that he is closer to the actual team than anybody else outside of the organization basically stated that there was in fact tension between Cowher and both of the Rooney's.

I will be watching Sports Beat tonight Dan and I will get the exact quote. Ed's going to be on with Stan.

Thanks - as always, look forward to your further insights on this.

Big D
01-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Money talks but I think part of Cowher's second act in the NFL will be designed to go off in a somewhat different direction with a glamour team that needs a boost - as T.H.has pointed out in some earlier posts,the dream sitaution for Cowher and his agent is both the Redskins and Cowboys looking for a new coach in 2008. For some reason I see Cowher coming back with a NFC team rather than playing the Steelers twice a year.

But can you imagine what Cleveland-Pittsburgh weeks would be like for the teams and their fans if Cowher coached the Browns?

I think he would compeltly ruin his reputation as the steelers coach and everything he did for this team wouldnt mean anything anymore.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 04:15 PM
I think he would compeltly ruin his reputation as the steelers coach and everything he did for this team wouldnt mean anything anymore.

I do not know what drives Cowher, but as stated before, money talks; as a matter of fact it shouts.

Johnny Damon and Rooger Clemens played for the Red Sox and Yankees, Rick Pitino coached for both the University of Kentucky and Louisville, and Nick Saban will have coached at LSU and Alabama.

I do not see Cowher in Cleveland because better franchises with more $$ will be seeking his services. It's all about the Benjamins.

Big D
01-05-2007, 04:16 PM
I do not know what drives Cowher, but as stated before, money talks; as a matter of fact it shouts.

Johnny Damon and Rooger Clemens played for the Red Sox and Yankees, Rick Pitino coached for both the University of Kentucky and Louisville, and Nick Saban will have coached at LSU and Alabama.

I do not see Cowher in Cleveland because better franchises with more $$ will be seeking his services. It's all about the Benjamins.

And I dont think cowher would go to a rebuilding franchise.

Stillers#1
01-05-2007, 04:17 PM
This is just a hypothetical, but if he did go to the Browns, and they ended up winning it all, who is he more revered by, Browns fans or Stillers fans?

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 04:20 PM
And I dont think cowher would go to a rebuilding franchise.

He may not have a choice - as we have discussed at length, very few coaches get to jump rather then be pushed - most coaches get fired becuase the team is losing.

The question is where to rebuild and what you will be paid.

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Here's my question for the day......

Why in the hell is ESPN interviewing Kordell Stewart about the Cowher situation? Of all people.....Kordell Stewart?!?!?

Big D
01-05-2007, 04:21 PM
This is just a hypothetical, but if he did go to the Browns, and they ended up winning it all, who is he more revered by, Browns fans or Stillers fans?

I would say browns fans. I think if he would come here and win he would be sticking a knife in the steelers backs.

Big D
01-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Here's my question for the day......

Why in the hell is ESPN interviewing Kordell Stewart about the Cowher situation? Of all people.....Kordell Stewart?!?!?

we are talking about espn here...

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 04:23 PM
we are talking about espn here...

Good point...lol. Thanks BigD.

HometownGal
01-05-2007, 04:23 PM
HTG - apparently Ed.B.went on about this after today's conference, based on this subsequent statement in the same P-G online chat.

<Q>Is there anything to Ed Bouchette's comments following the press conference about growing discontent between Cowher and the front office (presumably Art Rooney II)?

pg_jerrymicco <A>If Ed said it, there's something to it. Ed is one hell of a reporter.

Now that Coach Cowher is gone, I look for an article in tomorrow or Sunday's P-G laying this out in detail. Anyone hear exactly what Ed.B. said?

I respect your opinion here, Dan, but it hasn't changed my opinion of Bouchette. He flip flops on issues almost more than John Kerry.........almost. :wink02: There are only 2 other local media celebrities that I have less respect for and those are in order - Mark Madden and Bob Smizik.

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 04:24 PM
:toofunny:

Interesting note: Bill Cowher has retired on Chuck Noll's 75th birthday. Is it a sign?

Justin Otstott
01-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Is anybody watching ESPN? Kordell Stewert just spoke about Bill....sounds like Kordell wants to come back lol :tt02:

Hines0wnz
01-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Eh....sucks being at work. :flap:

*spits at 60 sec rule*

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Deja vu....I love it.

Big D
01-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Good point...lol. Thanks BigD.

No problem.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 04:34 PM
I respect your opinion here, Dan, but it hasn't changed my opinion of Bouchette. He flip flops on issues almost more than John Kerry.........almost. :wink02: There are only 2 other local media celebrities that I have less respect for and those are in order - Mark Madden and Bob Smizik.

HTG - I am not defending Ed.B., although I usually enjoy reading what he has to say and believe he has pretty good sources on the team.

It is just that I never saw Cowher as being the second coming of Bill Parcells or Holmgren and am looking for any credible information on how this situation went off the tracks. It may just be that even the most successful coaches will job hop from now on with a year off before they sell their services to the high bidder.

As always, you and I are on the same page in respecting each other's views and both wanting that which is best for the Black & Gold.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Is anybody watching ESPN? Kordell Stewert just spoke about Bill....sounds like Kordell wants to come back lol :tt02:

Did they run the clip of Cowher kissing Kordell in Baltimore in 1997 :sofunny:

Big D
01-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Did they run the clip of Cowher kissing Kordell in Baltimore in 1997 :sofunny:

personally I wouldnt want to see that. Espically knowing that there was rumors out there that kordell was or is gay

Preacher
01-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Well... I guess the if is gone now.

klick81
01-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Eh....sucks being at work. :flap:

*spits at 60 sec rule*

Tell me about it. The only way i'm staying updated on this is by reading the posts and whatever is online.

Having said that, this is a bittersweet day. It's sad because we have to see a GREAT coach go. At the same time, we get to be at the forefront of what will hopefully become another great era. Here's to a bright future :cheers:

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks - as always, look forward to your further insights on this.

Well Dan, Stan had a "Steelers Roundtable" tonight. It was Bouchette, Dulac and Alexander.

Stan brought up the question pertaining to if there was more to Bill's retirement than just the family, the vibe during the PC between Cowher, Art and Dan and the events before Cowher's announcement.

Bouchette: He basically stated what has already been stated in this thread. Although Ed said that a "friend/source close to Cowher" stated that "it didn't have to come to this". Ed then stated that things were not exactly going smooth over these past weeks and going all the way back to this past August when contract negotiations stalled. Ed went on to say that it was not just about the family, but that Cowher felt "slighted" by the amount of money that he was getting paid (or the money that he was not going to get paid).

Dulac: Dulac agreed that the money situation was a big factor. Obviously he did not comment on Bouchette's source. For the most part, he seemed to agree with Ed that Cowher was not exactly a happy camper since August.

Alexander: Alexander focused more on the "vibe" during the PC. Basically stating the vibes between Cowher and Dan were sincere. The vibes between Art and Cowher, complete opposite. No handshake, no hug and really no direct thank you.

Note, all three stated that they felt that Cowher "felt slighted" since August. Neither Dulac, Bouchette or Alexander stated that Bill was complaining or causing a fuss, but that Cowher was not exactly a happy camper.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks

My understanding is that the contract negotiations this past summer were between AJR II and Cowher & agent, after which Dan Rooney and Cowher talked more this fall after negotiations collapsed. So I can see how AJR is the heavy in Cowher's eyes, although the dream house in Raleigh was purchased in 2005 before the extension talks even started.

Who knows what the dynamics were between AJR II and Cowher (since it was Dan who hired Cowher and Dan rather than AJR II whom Cowher probably regarded & treated as his boss) but even watching the conference on line I did not feel a lot of warmth between AJR II and Cowher.

Well, Dan made his mark as a rising star through the Noll hire and if AJR II wants to make his mark this hire will be his chance.

Glad to hear it was "a friend" (which might be the agent) rather than Cowher who told Ed.B. it didn't need to end like this - that statement coming directly from Cowhjer would have been pretty harsh.

Need Ed.B. back for another P-G online chat even though he has shut that down for the offseason.

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Need Ed.B. back for another P-G online chat even though he has shut that down for the offseason.

I remember reading (from Ed) that he will continue the online chat on certain days. If I had to guess, the online chat will continue with Cowher's retirement.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-06-2007, 07:35 AM

Bill Cowher did not go out the way he came in. Instead of wearing a three-piece suit as he did in 1992, he wore a multi-colored sweater to his final appearance as Steelers coach. Instead of sounding arrogant like he said he did when he was introduced as Chuck Noll's replacement, he was contrite, relaxed, appreciative, when he walked away.

In the end, though, there was one similarity to the way Mr. Cowher began his career as a National Football League head coach and the way he ended his 15-year reign yesterday.

He was eager and excited. This time, though, to spend more time with his family.

"I'll be honest," Mr. Cowher said. "I'm looking forward to it."

Looking relaxed and sounding like a man comfortable with his decision, Mr. Cowher made official yesterday what has been speculated for weeks, even months: He resigned from the only head-coach position he has ever held and walked into a life of "retirement" in Raleigh, N.C., a lifestyle that is not expected to last much past a year or two.

Mr. Cowher, 49, made the announcement at a news conference at the team's UPMC South Side facility, joined by his wife, Kaye, and flanked by team chairman Dan Rooney and president Art Rooney II. While it signalled the end of the second-most successful coaching stint in franchise history, it also officially began the search to find his replacement.

"I've given this a lot of thought and it's in the best interest of my family and myself at this time," said Mr. Cowher, who was the NFL's longest tenured head coach with one team.

Standing in the room where he held his weekly televised news conference and facing more than 70 members of the media, Mr. Cowher said he will not coach in the National Football League in 2007 and said there was no timetable when, or even if, he will return to the sidelines as a head coach.

"There is no timetable or plan for that," Mr. Cowher said. "The only thing I'm looking forward to is spending time with my family."

But even San Diego Chargers Coach Marty Schottenheimer, Mr. Cowher's mentor and the person who gave him his coaching start in Cleveland, said yesterday in a phone interview, "Considering his competitiveness, we haven't see the last of The Jaw."

Mr. Cowher went through a checklist of people he wanted to thank, starting with Mr. Schottenheimer and ending with the team's director of football operations, Kevin Colbert, about whom he said, "He gave me my second wind."

But Mr. Cowher, a Crafton native who attended Carlynton High School, saved his most heart-felt thanks for the people in Pittsburgh and Steelers fans across the country.

"You are second to none," Mr. Cowher said, looking into the phalanx of television cameras that rimmed the back of the conference room. "I'm part of you. You can take the people out of Pittsburgh, but you can't take the Pittsburgh out of me. I'm one of you." Then, with a smile, he added, "Y'unz know what I mean."

Mr. Cowher had one year remaining on a contract that paid him between $4.5 million and $4.7 million this season. He leaves behind a legacy that includes 10 playoff appearances, eight division titles, six appearances in the AFC Championship game and -- his biggest prize of all -- a fifth Super Bowl title in franchise history.

"I want to thank Bill for 15 great years," said Art Rooney II. "It's been a great ride. I want to thank Bill and Kaye for having their family be a part of ours."

After Dan Rooney spoke about the coach he hired in 1992 to replace Chuck Noll, who had won four Super Bowls in the 1970s, he turned and presented Mr. Cowher with a miniature replica of the Super Bowl trophy.

"After the Super Bowl you gave me the trophy," the elder Mr. Rooney said. "I wish you will accept this trophy from us for the great contribution you have given us."

Mr. Cowher then hugged Mr. Rooney.

"Coaching in the NFL and winning the Super Bowl have been a lifelong dream for me," Mr. Cowher said. "To realize that in the city where I was born and raised, this Crafton boy lived a dream. You don't know how special that was to me."

The dream, though, took a strange turn during the offseason when Mr. Cowher turned down a contract extension that would have paid him between $6 million and $6.5 million annually in the final years of the deal. After winning the Super Bowl, Mr. Cowher felt he deserved to be among the top, if not the top, paid coaches in the league, a distinction that belongs to Seattle's Mike Holmgren, who will make an estimated $7 million this season and $8 million in 2007.

It became a matter of principle with Mr. Cowher, and the two sides stopped negotiating in August. Yesterday, a close associate of Mr. Cowher said "it didn't have to end this way," referring to his resignation.

Meantime, Art Rooney II said the Steelers have notified offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach/assistant head coach Russ Grimm they are candidates to replace Mr. Cowher. Mr. Rooney said they are the only members of Mr. Cowher's staff who will be considered possible replacements. That means defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, a former head coach with the Cincinnati Bengals, is not a candidate.

"Our only goal is to find the best person for the job," Mr. Rooney said. "Our timetable will simply relate to when we feel we have reached that goal."

Only seven coaches in NFL history, including Mr. Noll at 23 years, have had longer coaching stints with one team than Mr. Cowher. But his legacy will extend well beyond his longevity.

Figuratively, and perhaps literally, Mr. Cowher was the face of the Steelers, an animated, passionate coach who once stuffed a photo in an official's shirt and nearly swung at an opposing player when he ran with a blocked field goal past the Steelers bench. His jaw-jutting expressions often included a wrinkled mouth and flying spittle, and his sideline histrionics made him a constant subject of television cameras.

Through it all, he was known as a player's coach, a man who could motivate with his energy but was often softer on the players than the maniacal image he portrayed. He was also a good communicator, priding himself on listening to every complaint but also making sure a player understood his role, even if he didn't like it.

"There is a lot of wear and tear in coaching and finding new ways to teach and motivate becomes harder every season," Baltimore Ravens Coach Brian Billick said. "The fact Bill did it for 15 years is amazing."

Then Mr. Billick added, "His teams played with great physicality and energy. If your team couldn't match that, and most couldn't, his teams would beat you. He's a Hall of Fame coach in my mind."

"He was a great communicator," Mr. Schottenheimer said. "You may not like what he told you, but you knew it came from the heart. That's a key in any meaningful relationship. You need that quality, and that's Bill's strong suit. He's a terrific teacher."

Mr. Cowher, though, was more than a coach who got the most out of his players. One of his greatest strengths was his ability to build a coaching staff, hiring seven assistants who would later go on to become head coaches either in the NFL or college.

The list includes Mr. LeBeau, former Carolina and Houston Coach Dom Capers, Cincinnati Bengals Coach Marvin Lewis, former New Orleans Saints Coach Jim Haslett, former Buffalo Bills Coach Mike Mularkey, and former Dallas Cowboys Coach Chan Gailey, who is now head coach at Georgia Tech. Former special teams coach Ron Zook is the head coach at Illinois after formerly being the head coach at the University of Florida.

"I want to thank Bill for all he's done for me," Mr. Lewis said, five days after the Steelers ended the Bengals' season and playoff hopes with a 23-17 overtime victory in Cincinnati. "It has been a privilege to coach with him and against him. I wish all the best for him and his family with whatever the future holds."

The past held plenty of success for Mr. Cowher. When he led the Steelers to six consecutive playoff appearances to start his career, he joined Paul Brown as the only coaches in NFL history to accomplish that feat. His career record of 161-99-1 ranked second only to Mr. Noll's (209-156-1) in franchise history, though his winning percentage of .623 in the regular season, .619 in postseason, are the highest in club history.

"I don't think I'm going to miss it as much as some people think I am going to," Mr. Cowher said. "The only thing I am looking forward to is spending time with my family, and I am really looking forward to that."

Elvis
01-06-2007, 07:45 AM
:tt02:
Gotta love all that Bill has done for this organization and I wish him and his family good luck in everything they do..Thanks for all the great memories... telling that little girl that sometimes you win sometimes you lose... that still brings tears to my eyes. And some day I hope that my little girl and boy loves this game/team as much as I do...God Bless Ya Bill and again... Thanks:cheers:

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Looks like Priusta in the Trib-Review is among those who did not feel the love between Cowher and the Rooneys at yesterday's goodbye - some excerpts from his column:

Cowher, meanwhile, clearly appreciated his position as a relatively young (49) Super Bowl-winning coach, probably from about the time Super Bowl XL had ended.

His manipulating of that angle more than anything led to what might yet be remembered as The South Side Charade. ,,,

As for quitting the Steelers, Cowher need apologize to no one. If he feels he has the juice to take a year off and then break the bank as a coaching free agent -- and he does -- more power to him.

But the transition could have been more respectful.

Cowher thanked Dan Rooney but not Art Rooney II, and Kevin Colbert but not Tom Donahoe.

Rooney II must have anticipated as much.

He spoke for all of 41 seconds at the outset, and that included introducing his father to present Cowher with his Tiffany's trophy.

Cowher and Art Rooney II also somehow managed not to shake hands.

Such is the state of diplomatic relations between the former coach and upper management, despite the lovely parting gift.

Likewise, it was difficult to find lower-ranking Steelers staffers overcome with melancholy yesterday.

Even Dan Rooney was measured in a news release announcing that Cowher was "stepping down."

"History will look back on Bill Cowher as one of the great coaches of his time," Rooney said.

The great coaches of all time -- Chuck Noll, George Halas, Vince Lombardi, etc. -- are apparently another matter entirely.

Cowher's record (161-99-1) speaks for itself.

But his exit was disingenuous.

Here's hoping the guy who fills those monster shoes left behind can do so with a little more class than the Crafton kid living the dream.

Ouch

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_487333.html

SteelCzar76
01-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Looks like Priusta in the Trib-Review is among those who did not feel the love between Cowher and the Rooneys at yesterday's goodbye - some excerpts from his column:

Cowher, meanwhile, clearly appreciated his position as a relatively young (49) Super Bowl-winning coach, probably from about the time Super Bowl XL had ended.

His manipulating of that angle more than anything led to what might yet be remembered as The South Side Charade. ,,,

As for quitting the Steelers, Cowher need apologize to no one. If he feels he has the juice to take a year off and then break the bank as a coaching free agent -- and he does -- more power to him.

But the transition could have been more respectful.

Cowher thanked Dan Rooney but not Art Rooney II, and Kevin Colbert but not Tom Donahoe.

Rooney II must have anticipated as much.

He spoke for all of 41 seconds at the outset, and that included introducing his father to present Cowher with his Tiffany's trophy.

Cowher and Art Rooney II also somehow managed not to shake hands.

Such is the state of diplomatic relations between the former coach and upper management, despite the lovely parting gift.

Likewise, it was difficult to find lower-ranking Steelers staffers overcome with melancholy yesterday.

Even Dan Rooney was measured in a news release announcing that Cowher was "stepping down."

"History will look back on Bill Cowher as one of the great coaches of his time," Rooney said.

The great coaches of all time -- Chuck Noll, George Halas, Vince Lombardi, etc. -- are apparently another matter entirely.

Cowher's record (161-99-1) speaks for itself.

But his exit was disingenuous.

Here's hoping the guy who fills those monster shoes left behind can do so with a little more class than the Crafton kid living the dream.

Ouch

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_487333.html

There are ALWAYS three sides to a situation,......the oppossing perspectives,.....and the TRUTH. And since none of the media "talking heads" are actually Bill Cowher and Art Rooney II,......all they will ever be able to do,.....is give an OPINION.
Bottom line,..... respect what the man (Coach) has done for the organization and move on. ("Man Up")

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

HometownGal
01-06-2007, 10:16 AM
There are ALWAYS three sides to a situation,......the oppossing perspectives,.....and the TRUTH. And since none of the media "talking heads" are actually Bill Cowher and Art Rooney II,......all they will ever be able to do,.....is give an OPINION.
Bottom line,..... respect what the man (Coach) has done for the organization and move on. ("Man Up")

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Couldn't agree with you more, SteelCzar. :thumbsup: Bill Cowher has resigned after a darned successful 15 years as the Steelers HC. Appreciate his accomplishments and wish him well instead of trying to conjur up all of these conspiracy theories (not meant for you, Dan, but for the media bumbleheads).

83-Steelers-43
01-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Looks like Priusta in the Trib-Review is among those who did not feel the love between Cowher and the Rooneys at yesterday's goodbye - some excerpts from his column

That's four out of four....interesting. Dulac (PPG), Alexander (TV), Bouchette (PPG) and now Prisuta (Trib).

SteelCzar76
01-06-2007, 10:51 AM
That's four out of four....interesting. Dulac (PPG), Alexander (TV), Bouchette (PPG) and now Prisuta (Trib).

But in all honesty 83,.....does it really even matter ? If nothing else Coach has EARNED the right to do what's in his personal best interest at this point in his life and or career.
Regardless of any charge,.... he's gone,....and leaves behind a very worthy (if not unblemished) Legacy.
And all the feeble and impotent bitterness in the world can and will not change that. What matters the most now is where this organization goes from here.

"Hail Caesar,.....HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

83-Steelers-43
01-06-2007, 10:57 AM
But in all honesty 83,.....does it really even matter ? If nothing else Coach has EARNED the right to do what's in his personal best interest at this point in his life and or career.
Regardless of any charge,.... he's gone,....and leaves behind a very worthy (if not unblemished) Legacy.
And all the feeble and impotent bitterness in the world can and will not change that. What matters the most now is where this organization goes from here.

"Hail Caesar,.....HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

I never stated that he has not "EARNED" the right to do anything he wants. I wish the guy the best but I really don't care what he does from here on out.

At the same time I'm just curious with went on behind the black and gold curtains. I'm sorry if I find it interesting that more than just Ed Bouchette feel that things were not as peachy as some happen to believe. If you don't buy it, if it doesn't appeal to you and you don't agree with it, more power to you. That's your preference.

Myself (and I'm guessing Dan, if not I apologize Dan) do happen to find it interesting. That's all.

SteelCzar76
01-06-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm just curious with went on behind the black and gold sunglasses. I'm sorry if I find it interesting that more than just Ed Bouchette feel that things were not as peachy as some happen to believe. If you don't buy it, if it doesn't appeal to you and you don't agree with it, more power to you. That's your preference.

Myself (and I'm guessing Dan) do happen to find it interesting. That's all.

I'm not in the buisness of nievety. Therefore i am not nor have i ever said anything about things being "peachy" (as you "delicately" stated)
My point is thus,.....dwelling on the personal and or buisness relationship between Coach and Art II though maybe "interesting" or "entertaining" in a gossip sense for some ,... is unimportant at this time. (It is the past)
Bottom line,......learn from the past, but if you live in it,.....you die to the now and or future.

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

83-Steelers-43
01-06-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm not in the buisness of nievety. Therefore i am not nor have i ever said anything about things being "peachy" (as you "delicately" stated)

Never said you did.

My point is thus,.....dwelling on the personal and or buisness relationship between Coach and Art II though maybe "interesting" or "entertaining" in a gossip sense for some ,... is unimportant at this time.

That's your opinion and I respect that. I really don't consider it "important", I find it "interesting" and I really don't see the harm in talking about it on a Pittsburgh Steelers football messageboard. If that's permitted.

Bottom line,......learn from the past, but if you live in it,.....you die to the now and or future.

Very nice. Judging that this is a simple conservation I really don't take it all that seriously. It's all in fun. I don't think we are changing the course of human history or better yet, future events by discussing Cowher's relationship with Art II.

LambertIsGod58
01-06-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm happy for Cowher...after all he's done for this organization, he should do what will make him happy. I will also say that the Rooneys never pay for anything. Cowher was not getting paid what he's worth....they never sign any high priced free agents. I love the Rooneys...they are first class, but they are CHEAP!! It's a fact.

SteelCzar76
01-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Never said you did.

That's your opinion and I respect that. I really don't consider it "important", I find it "interesting" and I really don't see the harm in talking about it on a Pittsburgh Steelers football messageboard. If that's permitted.

Very nice. Judging that this is a simple conservation I really don't take it all that seriously. It's all in fun. I don't think we are changing the course of human history or better yet, future events by discussing Cowher's relationship with Art II.

You and all others are entitled to your opinions and frivolous discussion 83. And the fact that such disscusion and or opinions have no importance in regards to "human history" or the "future",........is exactly my point. (I'm fluent in sarcasm) "Nice try though"
With that said,.....carry on as you must. LOL

83-Steelers-43
01-06-2007, 12:16 PM
carry on as you must.

Thanks for the permission buddy. It's much appreciated. :thumbsup:

SteelCzar76
01-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the permission buddy. It's much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Your welcome.:thumbsup:

83-Steelers-43
01-06-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm happy for Cowher...after all he's done for this organization, he should do what will make him happy.

I agree completely.

but they are CHEAP!! It's a fact.

Now is that a complaint or are you simply pointing out what you consider a "fact"? Personally, I can't really complain when it comes to the Rooney's keeping their wallet's closed. When you look at the Snyder's of the league I believe the Rooney-way of doing business is working out pretty well.

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2007, 12:31 PM
My point is thus,.....dwelling on the personal and or buisness relationship between Coach and Art II though maybe "interesting" or "entertaining" in a gossip sense for some ,... is unimportant at this time. (It is the past)

Well it is important to the extent it is hightly probable whomever the Steelers hire to replace Cowher will not have the same success over the next 5 years that the Steelers would have achieved if Cowher had stayed and those of us on this board obviously are interested in what impacts the Steelers success - if we devote threads to the impact of whether Chidi should havebeen cut it does not seem imprudent to express an interest in why Cowher quit. It also is important to the extent that if this is regarded around the league as the Rooneys being "cheap" (as opposed to "fiscally prudent" - you can argue both sides of that issue) it could impact the best available HC coach coming to Pittsburgh as opposed to Miami or Atlanta.

On the NFL show on ESPN this morning, Tom Jackson (a non-clown at ESPN) repeated the view of many of us on the board that if Cowher already had his "dream job" and will never get a better job (Jackson's words, not mine) but decided to leave the professed reasons for his departure do not add up.

Bottom line is the Steelers should presumably be better off with Cowher than without him but have decided that is not the case. A succcessful coach leaving and by his "resignation" comments making it clear he will be back coaching in the very near future is virtually unprecedented in the NFL. So IMHO attempting to find out what is going on as it impacts the future of the franchise is more than gossip mongering.

tony hipchest
01-06-2007, 12:55 PM
I never stated that he has not "EARNED" the right to do anything he wants. I wish the guy the best but I really don't care what he does from here on out.

At the same time I'm just curious with went on behind the black and gold curtains. I'm sorry if I find it interesting that more than just Ed Bouchette feel that things were not as peachy as some happen to believe. If you don't buy it, if it doesn't appeal to you and you don't agree with it, more power to you. That's your preference.

Myself (and I'm guessing Dan, if not I apologize Dan) do happen to find it interesting. That's all.atlanta dan summed up in one phrase what we all must be feeling:

"if cowher is such a great coach (which he is) and the rooneys are such great owners (which they are) how come they werent able to come up with a great contract/deal?"

sorry for the paraphrase, but this is an excellent question, and one everybody will be asking alot if, in 3-4 years, cowher is off winning superbowls, and we are licking the basement floor, searching for a replacement for the replacement.

as for the statement in the article questionning cowher going out with class, i couldnt disagree more. i need to look as far as the snake saban situation to see how it should NOT be handled. very few coaches could hold a candle to the integrity and honor cowher brings.

83-Steelers-43
01-06-2007, 01:03 PM
as for the statement in the article questionning cowher going out with class, i couldnt disagree more. i need to look as far as the snake saban situation to see how it should NOT be handled. very few coaches could hold a candle to the integrity and honor cowher brings.

For the record, I don't agree with Prisuta's article. I think he took it a little too far and was going after shock value more than anything else. Bouchette simply stated that he heard from a "friend/source" close to Cowher that the relationship between Cowher and the Rooney's (Art II in particular) was not exactly smooth sailing since last August. Four other individuals in the media made similar comments. Personally, I find that interesting. I'd like to know what went wrong and when it went wrong.

This comment in particular rubbed me the wrong way. "Here's hoping the guy who fills those monster shoes left behind can do so with a little more class than the Crafton kid living the dream.". I'm not sure who's fault it was or what went on behind the scenes (that's what I would like to know and why i'm interested), but to automatically place the blame (or the lack of class) on Cowher is just wrong. In my opinion, that was uncalled for.

SteelCzar76
01-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Well it is important to the extent it is hightly probable whomever the Steelers hire to replace Cowher will not have the same success over the next 5 years that the Steelers would have achieved if Cowher had stayed and those of us on this board obviously are interested in what impacts the Steelers success - if we devote threads to the impact of whether Chidi should havebeen cut it does not seem imprudent to express an interest in why Cowher quit. It also is important to the extent that if this is regarded around the league as the Rooneys being "cheap" (as opposed to "fiscally prudent" - you can argue both sides of that issue) it could impact the best available HC coach coming to Pittsburgh as opposed to Miami or Atlanta.

On the NFL show on ESPN this morning, Tom Jackson (a non-clown at ESPN) repeated the view of many of us on the board that if Cowher already had his "dream job" and will never get a better job (Jackson's words, not mine) but decided to leave the professed reasons for his departure do not add up.

Bottom line is the Steelers should presumably be better off with Cowher than without him but have decided that is not the case. A succcessful coach leaving and by his "resignation" comments making it clear he will be back coaching in the very near future is virtually unprecedented in the NFL. So IMHO attempting to find out what is going on as it impacts the future of the franchise is more than gossip mongering.

And who's to say that Art Rooney II and this organization have not learned a valuable lesson in regards to handling their affairs in the future ? This is were the "importance" of recent events are to be measured IMO.
And whether or not our next HC will be "presumably" equally, less, or more successful than Coach Cowher is pure speculation. (Whomever that may be)
At the end of the day,.....this organization AND Coach made a buisness (and possibly somewhat personally motivated) decision that they felt was in their own best interests.
So be it.
And i personally feel as though any prospective coach whom would allow his interest in this Job to be clouded by "speculative gossip". Or disagree's with the actual way the Rooney family does buisness,.....isn't the the man for THIS organization. (regardless of his resume)

tony hipchest
01-06-2007, 01:29 PM
This comment in particular rubbed me the wrong way. "Here's hoping the guy who fills those monster shoes left behind can do so with a little more class than the Crafton kid living the dream.". I'm not sure who's fault it was or what went on behind the scenes (that's what I would like to know and why i'm interested), but to automatically place the blame (or the lack of class) on Cowher is just wrong. In my opinion, that was uncalled for.yeah, that comment pretty much pissed me off. it would be bad enough if he implied cowher LEFT without a certain degree of class, but hes saying the new coach needs to be a "little more" classy than cowher was in 15 years ON THE JOB. :banging:

good luck, cause that person will not be found.

4xSBChamps
01-06-2007, 01:35 PM
yeah, that comment pretty much pissed me off. it would be bad enough if he implied cowher LEFT without a certain degree of class, but hes saying the new coach needs to be a "little more" classy than cowher was in 15 years ON THE JOB. :banging:

good luck, cause that person will not be found.
Get-real, people..... we're talking about Mike Priusta here, a man who wouldn't know the difference between crap and apple-butter even -AFTER giving him a taste-test:
the only thing Priusta knows about 'class' is that he is lacking the 'C' and the 'L'.....

X-Terminator
01-06-2007, 01:40 PM

Where in Cowher's comments yesterday did he ever say anything definite about coaching again "in the near future?" Sure, we can all sit here and say that he'll be back whenever, but Cowher himself never said or implied that. None of us are Bill Cowher, and ergo none of us can even pretend to know what's going on in his head. He used the term "resignation" because that's what it is - saying that he is retired would not be correct since he didn't finish out his contract. He was very careful with the words he chose in his remarks yesterday. He said he wanted to spend more time with his family, sit in the stands to watch his girls play basketball like a normal dad, work on his golf game, etc...and that somehow turns into him "making it clear that he will be back coaching in the very near future?" Sorry, but that is what it is - gossip mongering and speculation, perpetrated by talking heads like Tom Jackson and reporters like Bouchette and Prisuta who are doing nothing but looking for a "sensationalist story" that you and others will soak up like a sponge. At this point in time, Bill Cowher is no longer the Steelers' head coach and should be left alone to enjoy his retirement, and the rest of us need to move on to the future and who our next head coach should/will be.

Big D
01-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Where in Cowher's comments yesterday did he ever say anything definite about coaching again "in the near future?" Sure, we can all sit here and say that he'll be back whenever, but Cowher himself never said or implied that. None of us are Bill Cowher, and ergo none of us can even pretend to know what's going on in his head. He used the term "resignation" because that's what it is - saying that he is retired would not be correct since he didn't finish out his contract. He was very careful with the words he chose in his remarks yesterday. He said he wanted to spend more time with his family, sit in the stands to watch his girls play basketball like a normal dad, work on his golf game, etc...and that somehow turns into him "making it clear that he will be back coaching in the very near future?" Sorry, but that is what it is - gossip mongering and speculation, perpetrated by talking heads like Tom Jackson and reporters like Bouchette and Prisuta who are doing nothing but looking for a "sensationalist story" that you and others will soak up like a sponge. At this point in time, Bill Cowher is no longer the Steelers' head coach and should be left alone to enjoy his retirement, and the rest of us need to move on to the future and who our next head coach should/will be..
I couldnt agree more. I was one of the biggest contributors on this forum regarding cowher and his future. It's already old news and has been probably since week 6. In my opinion we as steeler fans need to move on and quit obsessing on Cowher. We have some great owners I see only the best for the steeler organization

tony hipchest
01-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Where in Cowher's comments yesterday did he ever say anything definite about coaching again "in the near future?" Sure, we can all sit here and say that he'll be back whenever, but Cowher himself never said or implied that. None of us are Bill Cowher, and ergo none of us can even pretend to know what's going on in his head. He used the term "resignation" because that's what it is - saying that he is retired would not be correct since he didn't finish out his contract. He was very careful with the words he chose in his remarks yesterday. . cowher chose his words perfectly. hes actually very articulate and almost eloquent when he speaks as far as a strong jawed ex jock is concerned (i shouldnt stereotype). theres 2 main issues. is he leaving for another job and is money the root of his departure?

Will you get back into coaching? If so, how long do you think you will be out?

There is no timetable. I say this to you, the only thing I am looking forward to is spending time with my family, and I am really looking forward to that. Being in a world that has been so regimented and scheduled where four or five months out of the year every day is scheduled for you, to have the ability to sit back at my age and to be able to spend time with family and be a big part of their lives again really excites me.

Can you address the speculation that this decision was about money?

I really don't want to get into the details of the process. I'm here today to say that this decision is what is right for me and my family at this time. I am so appreciative of my time here and the people that I've had the opportunity to work with.

theres alot that can be taken from these 2 statements and i think they were 2 of the most poignant answers he gave. i appreciate him not lying. he gave the perfect answers to questions he had to know were coming in a very truthful and non rehearsed manner. they lead me to believe money was an issue and he will be back coaching atleast in 2 years once his youngest daughter moves off to college.

Big D
01-06-2007, 01:59 PM
cowher chose his words perfectly. hes actually very articulate and almost eloquent when he speaks as far as a strong jawed ex jock is concerned (i shouldnt stereotype). theres 2 main issues. is he leaving for another job and is money the root of his departure?

I have a feeling cowher will be back in coaching next year. And who can blame him. I think anyone in here would jump at the chance to make 8 million a year. And Cowher will as well. I just hope it's a team in the nfc

theres alot that can be taken from these 2 statements and i think they were 2 of the most poignant answers he gave. i appreciate him not lying. he gave the perfect answers to questions he had to know were coming in a very truthful and non rehearsed manner. they lead me to believe money was an issue and he will be back coaching atleast in 2 years once his youngest daughter moves off to college.

I have a feeling cowher will be back in coaching next year. And who can blame him. I think anyone in here would jump at the chance to make 8 million a year. And Cowher will as well. I just hope it's a team in the nfc

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2007, 02:03 PM
For the record, I don't agree with Prisuta's article. I think he took it a little too far and was going after shock value more than anything else. Bouchette simply stated that he heard from a "friend/source" close to Cowher that the relationship between Cowher and the Rooney's (Art II in particular) was not exactly smooth sailing since last August. Four other individuals in the media made similar comments. Personally, I find that interesting. I'd like to know what went wrong and when it went wrong.

This comment in particular rubbed me the wrong way. "Here's hoping the guy who fills those monster shoes left behind can do so with a little more class than the Crafton kid living the dream.". I'm not sure who's fault it was or what went on behind the scenes (that's what I would like to know and why i'm interested), but to automatically place the blame (or the lack of class) on Cowher is just wrong. In my opinion, that was uncalled for.

I am with you completely on this - I posted Priusta's article because it was a surprisingly stern shot at Cowher and the references to the front office not hanging crepe presumably were not completely made up, not because I agreed with Priusta's concluding line. For all I know Priusta and Cowher have had words and this was Priusta's petty attempt at payback.

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2007, 02:21 PM
And who's to say that Art Rooney II and this organization have not learned a valuable lesson in regards to handling their affairs in the future ? This is were the "importance" of recent events are to be measured IMO.
And whether or not our next HC will be "presumably" equally, less, or more successful than Coach Cowher is pure speculation. (Whomever that may be)
At the end of the day,.....this organization AND Coach made a buisness (and possibly somewhat personally motivated) decision that they felt was in their own best interests.
So be it.
And i personally feel as though any prospective coach whom would allow his interest in this Job to be clouded by "speculative gossip". Or disagree's with the actual way the Rooney family does buisness,.....isn't the the man for THIS organization. (regardless of his resume)

When you are deciding which multi-million $$$ job offer to take my bet is you go on a little more than "speculative gossip" in weighing which offer to take. I am pretty confident the leading candidates and their agents are pretty plugged in to what the actual story is on Cowher's resignation.

I do not claim to know what that actual story is, but, if in fact, it is because the Rooneys lowballed Cowher, maybe only HCs that take lowball offers are going to regard themselves as right for this organization, which I assume is not what anyone would say is in the best interests of the organization.

As for whether the new HC will be as successful as Cowher, of course it is "pure speculation," as is any prediction by anyone not having access to time travel. Nevertheless, if a NFL franchise had a choice this afternoon between hiring Cowher and any NFL assistant (or for that matter probably any NFL HC other than Belichek) and money was no object, who would they hire? And why would they do that - because it is more likley that Cowher will have a better winning record than the alternatives .

I am not blaming anyone for what happened because I do not know what happened (but would like to find out). But claiming this is still the best of all possible Steeler worlds and this franchise (as opposed to perhaps its profit and loss statement) is in as good a position without Cowher as HC as it would with Cowher as HC is not a reality based conclusion for anyone asserting such a position.

SteelCzar76
01-06-2007, 02:37 PM
When you are deciding which multi-million $$$ job offer to take my bet is you go on a little more than "speculative gossip" in weighing which offer to take. I am pretty confident the leading candidates and their agents are pretty plugged in to what the actual story is on Cowher's resignation.

I do not claim to know what that actual story is, but, if in fact, it is because the Rooneys lowballed Cowher, maybe only HCs that take lowball offers are going to regard themselves as right for this organization, which I assume is not what anyone would say is in the best interests of the organization.

As for whether the new HC will be as successful as Cowher, of course it is "pure speculation," as is any prediction by anyone not having access to time travel. Nevertheless, if a NFL franchise had a choice this afternoon between hiring Cowher and any NFL assistant (or for that matter probably any NFL HC other than Belichek) and money was no object, who would they hire? And why would they do that - because it is more likley that Cowher will have a better winning record than the alternatives .

I am not blaming anyone for what happened because I do not know what happened (but would like to find out). But claiming this is still the best of all possible Steeler worlds and this franchise (as opposed to perhaps its profit and loss statement) is in as good a position without Cowher as HC as it would with Cowher as HC is not a reality based conclusion for anyone asserting such a position.

Dan,.. if "IF" was a fifth,.....then everyone here and in question would be well beyond "wasted".
Bottom line,.....only time will suppossedly "vindicate" the Rooneys and or Coach in the eyes of their detractors. The Rooneys will conduct their buisness as they always have and Coach will continue to be the individual he is. (Both of which have seemed to work out relatively well on many accounts for both up until this point):helmet:

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Dan,.. if "IF" was a fifth,.....then everyone here and in question would be well beyond "wasted".
Bottom line,.....only time will suppossedly "vindicate" the Rooneys and or Coach in the eyes of their detractors. The Rooneys will conduct their buisness as they always have and Coach will continue to be the individual he is. (Both of which have seemed to work out relatively well on many accounts for both up until this point):helmet:

Oh I agree completely Cowher and the Rooneys both are very good at what they do - just wish they were doing it together

Thanks for your thoughts on this

tony hipchest
01-06-2007, 04:16 PM
I couldnt agree more. I was one of the biggest contributors on this forum regarding cowher and his future. It's already old news and has been probably since week 6. In my opinion we as steeler fans need to move on and quit obsessing on Cowher. We have some great owners I see only the best for the steeler organizationmiami has a great owner and their fans saw only the best when saban was brought in 2 years ago and culpepper last year.

this cowher situation has been brewing for 10 months atleast. and it would be absurd for us as a fanbase to not discuss it 24 hours after it is FINALLY addressed by the parties involved. sure there will be people who want to sweep the whole ordeal under the rug and pretend he never existed, or that he never left. talking about this now, is about as obsessive as discussing the superbowl win the day after it happened. its news. not only on this board, but within sports media as a whole.

HometownGal
01-06-2007, 04:50 PM
this cowher situation has been brewing for 10 months atleast. and it would be absurd for us as a fanbase to not discuss it 24 hours after it is FINALLY addressed by the parties involved. sure there will be people who want to sweep the whole ordeal under the rug and pretend he never existed, or that he never left. talking about this now, is about as obsessive as discussing the superbowl win the day after it happened. its news. not only on this board, but within sports media as a whole.

Tony - I understand what you are saying, but discussing the Super Bowl win and Cowher's exit from the Steelers is like comparing apples and oranges. The Super Bowl win is fact and on the record books - the "true" reasons behind Bill Cowher's resignation are pure speculation at this point. Until either Cowher or the Rooneys come out and spill the beans, which I do not believe will ever happen, we can sit in front of our crystal balls or Ouija boards until the Bungles don't choke a season away or hell freezes over (whichever comes first, though my money goes on hell freezing over first :wink02: ). I don't believe anyone here is sweeping anything under the rug or living in a fantasy world believing that Bill didn't resign - I think the mindset is more along the lines of what BigD stated - Cowher has moved on and feels comfortable with his decision, the Rooneys are moving on, the team will be moving on under a new HC and as fans, we have to move on, too. Believe me - no one was sadder yesterday than I was, but reality bites and the reality is - Bill's gone (never forgotten) and we're headed into a new era just as we were when Coach Noll resigned. If we're even half as lucky with Cowher's successor as we were with Noll's, I'd say we have one helluva lot of excitement to look forward to. :tt02:

tony hipchest
01-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Tony - I understand what you are saying, but discussing the Super Bowl win and Cowher's exit from the Steelers is like comparing apples and oranges. my point being that discussing reasons why cowher "resigned" and reasons why the steelers won the SB 24 hours after the fact, is equally obsessive (or in my eyes- non obsessive). theres nothing wrong with the discussion of both.

the steelers and bill cowher will definitely move on, and the discussion of the seperation by us fans, will not hold us back.

HometownGal
01-06-2007, 05:32 PM
my point being that discussing reasons why cowher "resigned" and reasons why the steelers won the SB 24 hours after the fact, is equally obsessive (or in my eyes- non obsessive). theres nothing wrong with the discussion of both.

the steelers and bill cowher will definitely move on, and the discussion of the seperation by us fans, will not hold us back.

OK fair enough, though I disagree about the holding back portion of your post. Thoughts appreciated and opinion respected. :thumbsup:

Big D
01-07-2007, 05:19 PM
my point being that discussing reasons why cowher "resigned" and reasons why the steelers won the SB 24 hours after the fact, is equally obsessive (or in my eyes- non obsessive). theres nothing wrong with the discussion of both.

I may not have expressed my feelings on this as I probably should have. It's hard to express your self on the internet. I'm not saying there shouldnt be any discussion 24 hours after his resignation. I'm just saying that this really isnt news. I'm not surprised that he quit nor or any of you. We have known why he wanted to leave for months now. Some has to do with his family some with retirement. However if money was the major factor of cowher leaving I think it would hurt his great legacy with the team

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2007, 05:42 PM
I may not have expressed my feelings on this as I probably should have. It's hard to express your self on the internet. I'm not saying there shouldnt be any discussion 24 hours after his resignation. I'm just saying that this really isnt news. I'm not surprised that he quit nor or any of you. We have known why he wanted to leave for months now. Some has to do with his family some with retirement. However if money was the major factor of cowher leaving I think it would hurt his great legacy with the team

Well, if Cowher wanted to be paid as one of the top coaches in the league and the Rooneys would not do that, a resignation based on that reason would be about money but I do not believe would hurt his legacy. That is why I do not think expressing an interest in why he quit is simply gossip - the fact that he quit is not unexpected news but why he quit remains a mystery to a lot of people (call me a cynic in believing the move to North Carolina was not becuause Lindsey did not want to play basketball at Fox Chapel and told her parents to move to Raleigh).

If the Rooneys lowballed Cowher and that reflects the management style of new CEO AJR II to be a hard nosed bottom line approach (which is why the icy treatment of AJR II by Cowher on Friday is noteworthy to me, not becuase I give a damn whether they are racquetball buddies), then it will impact their ability to a hire a new HC, could impact signing current players and FAs, and will impact the competitiveness of the Steelers in fuuture years. That is news and IMHO worth being intersted in having someone at the P-G or a national media outlet report.

Big D
01-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Well, if Cowher wanted to be paid as one of the top coaches in the league and the Rooneys would not do that, a resignation based on that reason would be about money but I do not believe would hurt his legacy. That is why I do not think expressing an interest in why he quit is simply gossip - the fact that he quit is not unexpected news but why he quit remains a mystery to a lot of people (call me a cynic in believing the move to North Carolina was not becuause Lindsey did not want to play basketball at Fox Chapel and told her parents to move to Raleigh).

If the Rooneys lowballed Cowher and that reflects the management style of new CEO AJR II to be a hard nosed bottom line approach (which is why the icy treatment of AJR II by Cowher on Friday is noteworthy to me, not becuase I give a damn whether they are racquetball buddies), then it will impact their ability to a hire a new HC, could impact signing current players and FAs, and will impact the competitiveness of the Steelers in fuuture years. That is news and IMHO worth having someone report.

I agree. But as you pointed out earlier. How many owners give there coaches a huge raise and contract extentions after missing the playoffs 4 out of 6 years. Thats the rooney loyalty. Too bad cowher didnt have the same.

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2007, 06:00 PM
I agree. But as you pointed out earlier. How many owners give there coaches a huge raise and contract extentions after missing the playoffs 4 out of 6 years. Thats the rooney loyalty. Too bad cowher didnt have the same.

I think after winning the SB Cowher had a greater focus upon financial rather than performance goals in terms of measuring his self-worth as a HC; nothing wrong with that - as someone around Cowher's age (but unfortunately not his income level) I can tell you what motivates you at work can change over time.

But it could be like other relationships where what was only an irritant drives someone to the breaking point over time - I do not know if it is a loyalty issue so much as a flexibility issue on Cowher and the Rooneys refusing to meet what the other side saw as a reasonable salary offer. Since we do not know far apart the two sides were on $$$ and what other coaches are making (Holmgren allegedly makes $8 million per as the top paid HC in the league) it is impossible to say who was more unreasonable in terms of their negotiating position.

For all I know, even if Cowher got Holmgen $$$ that might not satisfy him for long, since I think Belichek is negotiating a new deal with Kraft that should become the new #1 contract. Perhaps Cowher will wait for that deal to be negotaited and ask his next employer to match it.

So I think $$$ had a lot to do with this resignation but I have no clue whether it was Cowher or the Rooneys who had the less defensible bargaining position.

tony hipchest
01-07-2007, 06:59 PM
I agree. But as you pointed out earlier. How many owners give there coaches a huge raise and contract extentions after missing the playoffs 4 out of 6 years. Thats the rooney loyalty. Too bad cowher didnt have the same.you think ben is gonna hang around for $4 mil/year? will polamalu stay for average money for a safety? why should the coach be any different ?

Sith Lord
01-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Is it completely crazy to think that if cowhers replacement s h i t s the bed next year, or for the next 2 years, and Cowher is ready to return to coaching at that time, that he actually can come back and coach the Steelers again? Would he ever come back to Pittsburgh, or is that out of the question?:helmet:

clarient
01-07-2007, 08:27 PM
I doubt he'll come back to the Steelers.

I love him but fifteen years with one franchise is a long time, especially in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised that he's itching to try his hand elsewhere.

And I HIGHLY doubt the Rooneys will be so blind as to hire a lame duck coach that only lasts a year or two - they'll be looking for a solid replacement that plans on staying for a long time.

Stlrs4Life
01-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Anything is possible. But feel the Rooneys are pretty good when it comes to hiring HC.

klick81
01-07-2007, 08:41 PM
And money will play a big role. The Rooneys won't be willing to put up the big bucks that other organizations will.

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Leaving the $$$ aside, Cowher can ask Joe Gibbs (who got the $$$) what it is like to try to come back and compete against your own legened

Sith Lord
01-07-2007, 09:24 PM
And I HIGHLY doubt the Rooneys will be so blind as to hire a lame duck coach that only lasts a year or two - they'll be looking for a solid replacement that plans on staying for a long time.

I never said that. They arent perfect, its very possible that the next hire wont last as long as the previous two.

steelerbackr4life
01-07-2007, 09:28 PM
I must admit Ive dreamt up this same scenario the past couple of days. However that is probaly all it is a dream.

polamalufan43
01-07-2007, 09:50 PM
I must admit Ive dreamt up this same scenario the past couple of days. However that is probaly all it is a dream.

Well, with everything that's happened, I doubt he'll come back, of curse I'm not completely ruling it out of the question, but that's probably my stubborn pride that still wants Cowher back and still can't accept that he's gone...

steelerbackr4life
01-07-2007, 10:05 PM
I think we are both suffering from the same inability to accept change.

noto45
01-08-2007, 07:36 AM
he is gone ......lets move on. he chose to leave and now its time for the future

Big D
01-08-2007, 07:39 AM
you think ben is gonna hang around for $4 mil/year? will polamalu stay for average money for a safety? why should the coach be any different ?

of course not. But as I said. How many owners are going to give there coaches contract extentions after missing the playoffs 4 out of 6 years. And how many coaches get the job security you get in pittsburgh. Some times the benefits outweigh the $$$$

plenewken
01-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Watching the press conference, Bill Cowher so clearly loves both his family and coaching in the NFL it is obviously tough to sacrifice commitment to one for the other, but he is blessed by having such a choice to make.

Good luck Coach and thanks for one hell of a 15 year ride.

I don't buy the "I want to be with my family" stuff. 2 of his 3 daughters are already in College, and the 3rd will go soon. Plus, he worked 10mn away from his house in Pittsburgh so he could be with his family as much as he wanted.
It's so obvious it's all about $$$. C'mon Bill, you think we fell off the pumpkin truck or what? You wanted mucho $$$ and the Rooneys refused. Who can blame them? You wanted to make much more than your highest paid player and in my opinion, it doesn't make any sense. I'm glad to see that Pittsburgh is not Washington DC or Seattle.

tony hipchest
01-08-2007, 04:29 PM
had to counter pristuas article with this fine little piece of jornalism from peter king:

3. I think the contrast between the departures of Saban and Bill Cowher was downright striking. Saban slithered out of Miami. Cowher walked away with class. Both he and owner Dan Rooney said all the right things (and meant them) in their departure press conference, and Cowher walked away with dignity fully intact.

i liked the "slithered" comment for snake saban. :chuckle:

Hammer67
01-08-2007, 08:16 PM
had to counter pristuas article with this fine little piece of jornalism from peter king:

i liked the "slithered" comment for snake saban. :chuckle:

Peter King is the greatest Football writer, bar none!:cheers:

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Interesting theory by Peter King on SI.com today (in response to a question on Cowher possibly replacing Coughlin) on how Cowher spends the next year until he starts coaching again in 2008:

Cowher cannot coach anywhere this year unless some team pays compensation to the Steelers, and he has no intention of doing that this year anyway. Your best hope, if you want Cowher to go to the Giants, would be to have Coughlin come back for one more year, then hire Cowher in 2008. But I think another team will beat the Giants to the punch, quite likely by making Cowher a consultant in 2007, and then its coach in '08 or '09.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/01/09/mmqbte/1.html

It's an intriguing theory, but how do you convince some HC to hang around for a year while Cowher hangs out in the front office? To get Cowher for 2008 you would almost be writing off 2007.

But 2 franchises with geezer coaches who probably will not last past 2007 are Washington and Dallas - might be argued in those cases the teams are just preparing for the inevitable need to find a replacement. This also gives Cowher cover to claim he will not mess up his lifetime goal of watching every basketball game his daughters play in 2007.

Steel Pit
01-10-2007, 02:13 AM
It may take a year or longer but I think that when all is said and done a lot of us will be saying F#*K Cowher. This whole Cowher thing just doesn't pass the smell test.

83-Steelers-43
01-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Steelers' Coach Search: Hunt for Cowher's successor could end quickly
2 in-house candidates would keep the other, if possible; 4th interview is scheduled today
Wednesday, January 10, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers could choose Russ Grimm or Ken Whisenhunt to become their next head coach and, not only would they keep most of their coaching staff intact, the candidate not selected could return as well.

Grimm and Whisenhunt have told people privately that they would return as a Steelers assistant coach if they are not chosen as the team's head coach and if they are not hired elsewhere as a head coach.

Thus, if Grimm is hired as the Steelers' head coach, he could have Whisenhunt as his offensive coordinator -- with the possible additional title of assistant head coach, the same one Grimm has now as offensive line coach. And if Whisenhunt is promoted to Steelers head coach, Grimm could return in his same capacity.

Whisenhunt, who was interviewed by the Steelers yesterday, and Grimm, interviewed Monday, are the only members of the staff who are candidates for the job. The Steelers also interviewed Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. They will interview Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin today, perhaps the fourth and final candidate for the job. The club could name a head coach to succeed Bill Cowher before the end of the week.

"I was honored to have the opportunity and excited to be included in this group," Whisenhunt said yesterday after his three-hour interview with the Steelers.

Whisenhunt and Grimm also are candidates for the head-coaching job with the Arizona Cardinals, where Grimm interviewed yesterday. Whisenhunt also is a candidate in Miami.

"The organization, as I see it, is making all the right moves, and has one more to make," Grimm told the media in Arizona after his interview with the Cardinals. "We're still going to talk a little bit and take it from there."

Every assistant on the Steelers' coaching staff is under contract through the 2007 season. That means none can leave without the Steelers' permission unless it is to become a head coach elsewhere. Under previous NFL rules, a position coach could go to another team if it was for a promotion. The league has since abolished those rules; now an assistant can leave voluntarily only for three reasons: If his contract is up, if he receives permission from his team, or for a head-coaching job in the NFL.

Under the rules, Grimm or Whisenhunt can keep the entire Steelers coaching staff if he desires. If one gets the Steelers' job and the other is hired elsewhere, having those coaches under contract will be important to the new head coach here.

For example, both men would want to have Bruce Arians, the Steelers' wide receivers coach, as his offensive coordinator (provided Whisenhunt does not stay as coordinator under a Grimm coaching regime). Arians could not leave if the new Steelers coach wanted to promote him here.

A similar situation occurred in 2004 when Steelers offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey was hired as the Buffalo Bills' head coach. Mularkey wanted to hire Whisenhunt, then the Steelers' tight ends coach, as his offensive coordinator in Buffalo. Cowher, though, also wanted Whisenhunt as his coordinator. The Steelers would not let Whisenhunt, who was under contract, leave. Instead, they allowed Mularkey to take Tom Clements, their quarterbacks coach, with him as coordinator in Buffalo.

NOTES -- Ben Roethlisberger will join ESPN's "Sunday NFL Countdown" as a guest analyst from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. According to information provided by ESPN, Roethlisberger will discuss his season, Cowher's departure and help analyze the AFC playoff game between the New England Patriots and San Diego Chargers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07010/752517-66.stm

tony hipchest
01-10-2007, 10:07 AM
so what are some thoughts on making bruce arians offensive coordinator? is it scary that were not hiring minorities byt promoting an aryan? :chuckle: (bad joke)

anyways he held the position with the browns before coming to pittsburgh. i know thats not saying much but i think he put together the offense that allowed kelly holcomb torch us in the playoffs in 2002. honestly i cant remember if he came over in 01 or in 02, after the new browns lone playoff appearance. not sure if he was taken away from the browns or if he was fired with the palmer regime. i think he was fired and not retained by butch davis.

Big D
01-10-2007, 10:08 AM
so what are some thoughts on making bruce arians offensive coordinator? is it scary that were not hiring minorities byt promoting an aryan? :chuckle: (bad joke)

anyways he held the position with the browns before coming to pittsburgh. i know thats not saying much but i think he put together the offense that allowed kelly holcomb torch us in the playoffs in 2002. honestly i cant remember if he came over in 01 or in 02, after the new browns lone playoff appearance. not sure if he was taken away from the browns or if he was fired with the palmer regime. i think he was fired and not retained by butch davis.

didnt he suck as the browns offensive coordinator? and didnt he get canned?

tony hipchest
01-10-2007, 10:16 AM
didnt he suck as the browns offensive coordinator? and didnt he get canned?like i said, if he can get the NEW browns to the playoffs and torch us for about 400 yds he cant be all that bad. after all we hired him, so with the rooneys history of scouting coaches he cant suck too much. the article states he is likely to replace whiz. but i do think he got canned with the entire palmer staff. just going offa memory here though, im definitely not a browns historian :smile:

Big D
01-10-2007, 10:18 AM
like i said, if he can get the NEW browns to the playoffs and torch us for about 400 yds he cant be all that bad. after all we hired him, so with the rooneys history of scouting coaches he cant suck too much. the article states he is likely to replace whiz. but i do think he got canned with the entire palmer staff. just going offa memory here though, im definitely not a browns historian :smile:

If I remeber right the palmer firing wasnt really that fair. It was ownerships hard on for Butch Davis.I have a feeling that if whisenhunt doesnt get the steeler job he wont get any hc job at all. So everything would pretty much stay intact for next season

Big D
01-12-2007, 11:21 AM
interesting article
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bill_syken/01/11/scorecard.daily/index.html

augustashark
01-12-2007, 02:59 PM
interesting article
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bill_syken/01/11/scorecard.daily/index.html

Interesting indeed.

My thoughts are that I love Cowher as much as the next guy, but once he puts on another teams colors then it's all over. I will always respect what he meant and did for the Steelers, but we live and die with the Steelers not Bill Cowher. Good luck to him in whatever he does, but if he ends up in Washington I would want nothing more then to play them in SB XLII and put a good spanking on them.

Big D
01-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Interesting indeed.

My thoughts are that I love Cowher as much as the next guy, but once he puts on another teams colors then it's all over. I will always respect what he meant and did for the Steelers, but we live and die with the Steelers not Bill Cowher. Good luck to him in whatever he does, but if he ends up in Washington I would want nothing more then to play them in SB XLII and put a good spanking on them.

I agree. Just like in college. You have to love the organization not the coach.