PDA

View Full Version : The Official Bill Cowher Retirement discussion thread

Pages : [1] 2

clevestinks
12-26-2006, 05:01 PM
... if he does leave after this season, what assisstants would you want to keep, and who should go?

If someone like Wisehunt gets the job most of the coaches might stay, but bring in an outsider, and who really knows what might happen. My biggest worry is an outsider coming in and changing everything, I`m not worried about the staff I just don`t want someone cleaning house and the hated word "REBUILDING" Thats my biggest fear, that why I have such a comfort zone with Cowher.
s
I think if Cowher leaves Dick Lebeau will retire.

I`ll be honest I`m not sure what ASST HC, Russ Grimm actually does, so I say gone.

We need help on special teams, we cant cover kicks and punts well, we punt and kick under average.

I want a defensive minded Head Coach, just my two cents. And the Steelers are known for thier linebackers, we must keep the 3-4

MACH1
12-26-2006, 05:04 PM
HTG's gonna luv this thread. :sofunny:

Big D
12-26-2006, 05:06 PM

she sure is. She loves threads like this. I honestly dont think that whisenhunt will get the job. I think there has been questionable play calling all year long. And i'm big on minnesota viking defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin or Kirk Ferentz

clevestinks
12-26-2006, 05:10 PM

I thought about her when I wrote it, LOL

But I`m not as concerned about Cowher as I am the other coaches!

Big D
12-26-2006, 05:15 PM
I thought about her when I wrote it, LOL

But I`m not as concerned about Cowher as I am the other coaches!

dude you need to ditch duce on your sig.

Big D
12-26-2006, 05:23 PM
So with the loss on sunday and missing the playoffs. Do you all think cowher will be back. And with reports indicating that he will be announcing his decisions for next year by next week. Do you think cowher will be back

Big D
12-26-2006, 05:24 PM
I think cowher is going to ride off in the sunset. It will be interesting what he announces next week.

Stillers#1
12-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Man....I wanna say yes....I reallllly do. I just don't see it. I read somewhere his family was at the game for like the first time in Pittsburgh all year. Kinda weird if you ask me. I was kind of hoping Cowher would stick around till my kid was in 4th grade, since I was in 4th grade when Cowher got hired.

Big D
12-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Man....I wanna say yes....I reallllly do. I just don't see it. I read somewhere his family was at the game for like the first time in Pittsburgh all year. Kinda weird if you ask me. I was kind of hoping Cowher would stick around till my kid was in 4th grade, since I was in 4th grade when Cowher got hired.

I want him back. Only if he signs at least a 4 year contract. If he isnt willing to commit past next year I dont want him back. I dont want to deal with all these cowher threads for another year

stillers4me
12-26-2006, 05:56 PM
He just had this look on his face when he was looking around like he was soaking it all in for the last time.......wishing it had been a win.

clevestinks
12-26-2006, 06:02 PM
After his interview today, I say he will not be our coach this time next week. If he goes to cleveland in a year or two I will hate him forever

Preacher
12-26-2006, 06:03 PM
He just had this look on his face when he was looking around like he was soaking it all in for the last time.......wishing it had been a win.

I have to agree.

clevestinks
12-26-2006, 06:05 PM
dude you need to ditch duce on your sig.

The sig was made for me a little over a year ago, sorry. I`m not sure how to make one so I`ll go without!

klick81
12-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Unfortunately, i don't think so. And after reading this:

It just seems pretty damned sad. But if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen.

Big D
12-26-2006, 07:15 PM
After his interview today, I say he will not be our coach this time next week. If he goes to cleveland in a year or two I will hate him forever

I swear to god i would light a sack of poo on fire. Billy madison style right in front of his house

Big D
12-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Unfortunately, i don't think so. And after reading this:

It just seems pretty damned sad. But if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen.

I dont understand while people would be surprised if he left. He's had that look on his face all year.

Big D
12-26-2006, 07:28 PM
The sig was made for me a little over a year ago, sorry. I`m not sure how to make one so I`ll go without!

dude i'm just giving you crap. From one ohio guy to another.

clevestinks
12-26-2006, 07:42 PM
dude i'm just giving you crap. From one ohio guy to another.

No your right, Ive been needing a new one for awhile

HometownGal
12-26-2006, 08:47 PM

I'm just jumpin' for joy! :banana: :flap: :wink02: I can't really add this one to the other 8,000 (exag.) "will he or won't he" threads in the last several weeks, as cleve's post falls more in line with the question of the assistant coaches. I can't really speculate on this topic right now, as I am one of the few around here who believes Cowher is going to stick around and therefore, it would be moot for me to get my crystal ball out of the attic. :wink02: Carry on gentlemen! :smile:

polamalufan43
12-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Well, I'm not going to say anything just yet about the coaching future. But I think that there will be some sort of major change. And I'm not saying what I think it will be. I'm just gonna keep my thoughts under wraps for now, lol.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

polamalufan43
12-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Well, everything's up in the air right now.
Sure, Cowher had some different looks this season, but he has had one face throughout, a poker face. No matter what the media asked, he always never gave a direct answer to his future. I hope we know by next week, this whole Cowher thing is stressful. I mean, the guy has been here for as long as I can remember.

HometownGal
12-26-2006, 09:00 PM
I dont understand while people would be surprised if he left. He's had that look on his face all year.

What look D - a look of sheer frustration? I've had that same look and I'm not going anywhere. :flap: :wink02:

To reiterate - I believe The Chin will stick around because....

-----He's too proud of a coach and a man to go out on a .500 (or less) season;

-----He's an honorable sort of guy - I just can't see this man leaving the Rooneys and this group of guys he loves like family in the lurch.

We'll see next week - right now - only the Shadow knows.......muahahahaha. :wink02:

SteelCityMan786
12-26-2006, 09:04 PM
your so bad HTG. lol.

polamalufan43
12-26-2006, 09:05 PM
What look D - a look of sheer frustration? I've had that same look and I'm not going anywhere. :flap: :wink02:

To reiterate - I believe The Chin will stick around because....

-----He's too proud of a coach and a man to go out on a .500 (or less) season;

-----He's an honorable sort of guy - I just can't see this man leaving the Rooneys and this group of guys he loves like family in the lurch.

We'll see next week - right now - only the Shadow knows.......muahahahaha. :wink02:

These are good reasons that he might. However, at this point, only Cowher/the Rooney's know.

TasmanianTroy271
12-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Well, I was talking to my dad about this the other day, and I mentioned how Whisenhunt and Grimm were both being looked at for HC positions in other teams in the NFL, and he said how Chuck Noll had a whole bunch of great assistants when we went out and signed Cowher. just something to think about

Man_Of_Steel
12-26-2006, 09:24 PM

I would see him going to a large market team that can pay him the mega money he wants..

HometownGal
12-26-2006, 09:27 PM
your so bad HTG. lol.

I know I am (sometimes). :wink02:

tony hipchest
12-26-2006, 10:01 PM
i was wondering if cowher is more inclined to stay if both whiz and grimm leave OR if hes more inclined to leave if they stay.

or do they even have any bearing on what he wants to do?

83-Steelers-43
12-26-2006, 10:07 PM
i was wondering if cowher is more inclined to stay if both whiz and grimm leave OR if hes more inclined to leave if they stay.

or do they even have any bearing on what he wants to do?

IMO, I don't think Grimm or Whiz have anything to do with Cowher's decision. I think feeling burned out and being away from his family are the two deciding factors. Just my opinion.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
12-26-2006, 10:30 PM
My guess....Cowher will retire.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/12/26/bc.fbn.steelers.cowher.ap/index.html

Cowher out?
Steelers coach to announce future plans next week

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Bill Cowher apparently won't make anyone wait to learn if he will return as the Pittsburgh Steelers' coach next season.

Cowher is expected to announce his future plans within a few days of Sunday's season-ending game at Cincinnati, one that is without playoff implications for the no-longer-defending Super Bowl champion Steelers (7-8).
"That's for next week," Cowher said Tuesday when asked if he would return next season. "We'll talk about that next week. It won't go long. I'm not sure what the time frame is. But I think the most important thing is to be focused on this game."

That he appears ready to announce his decision quickly could be a sign the Steelers may soon be looking for a new coach for only the second time since 1969. Chuck Noll (1969-91) and Cowher (1992-present) have been their only coaches since then.

If Cowher decides to retire -- if only briefly -- and not finish out a contract that expires after the 2007 season, the Steelers want to begin searching for a new coach as soon as possible since three or four other NFL teams also could be in the market for a coach.

Two Steelers assistants, offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm, are seen as viable candidates _ even though the Steelers haven't promoted a coach from within since Mike Nixon in 1965. And he lasted only one season.

Several players, including Joey Porter, said recently they expect Cowher to return for a 16th season. Only last week, Cowher laughed at suggestions that he is tired of coaching at age 49, saying, "Do I look burned out?"

Cowher's tenure is the longest with his current team of any NFL coach, and a season or two away from the game watching his three daughters play basketball might increase Cowher's already-high market value.

Cowher is making $4 million-plus under his current contract, which he signed in 2004. If he were to sign a new deal with the Steelers, he likely would make in the $5.5 million-$6 million range.

But Cowher -- who would be a highly attractive candidate for any NFL owner desperate to win quickly -- conceivably could make more on the open market, perhaps even more than Mike Holmgren's estimated $8 million with Seattle.

When Cowher signed his latest Steelers extension in 2004, he emphasized money wasn't a motivating factor.

"You couldn't have a better job," he said. "It's not about the market or the money, it's about the winning."

Right now, it appears the market has become an issue.

Cowher's wife and youngest daughter moved to the family's new home in Raleigh, N.C., earlier this year, and Cowher made several trips there during the season. Being an absentee father no doubt doesn't appeal to Cowher, but an NFL coach's job has become all encompassing with offseason workouts, minicamps, coaching sessions and the draft.

The Steelers aren't interested in a part-time head coach, even one who has been as successful as Cowher.

Cowher declined Tuesday to discuss his situation in detail, saying the Steelers need to concentrate on beating the Bengals (8-7) and finishing at .500, even though a 31-7 loss to Baltimore on Sunday ended their playoff chances.

"Our goal is to go down there and get this taste out of our mouth and, more importantly, finish the season at 8-8," Cowher said. "We'll do that. Playing Cincinnati with a game like that, there's a lot at stake, just pride-wise. It's always been like that."

With the playoffs no longer a possibility, does it really make that much difference if the Steelers wind up 8-8 rather than 7-9?

"Finishing strong is very important because that's what you take into next year," Cowher said.

The Steelers also wouldn't mind ending Cincinnati's season, just as they did in the playoffs last January. The Bengals, who won in Pittsburgh 28-20 on Sept. 24, must win to retain any playoff hopes, though the Jets and Broncos can secure the two AFC wild-card spots by winning Sunday.

"Misery loves company," Cowher said. "And we're looking for company."

Right tackle Max Starks (knee) and safety Ryan Clark (groin) won't play Sunday and linebacker Clark Haggans is doubtful with an injured knee ligament.

83-Steelers-43
12-26-2006, 10:38 PM
"I hate to speculate on Cowher but....."

Why? When you find me a Steeler site that's not debating/speculating this topic you let me know. As the days/weeks go by I'm interested in hearing your opinions along with the majority of others on here when it comes to this topic.

As for the assitant coaching situation. It will be interesting. I'm sure much like this past season, HC'ing jobs will open up for both Whiz and Grimm. I'd have to believe that both will be interviewed for the Steeler HC'ing job. I think that's a no-brainer. I'm hearing from Bouchette that Ferentz is a name that's being thrown around a good bit for the HC job. Take it for what it's worth. As for LeBeau, I think he will stick around if Cowher retires or not.

When it comes to my preference on a offensive minded HC or a defensive minded HC, call me crazy and I'm sure many will disagree, but it really doesn't matter to me. If your a defensive minded HC you go out and find the best OC you can. If your a offensive minded HC you go out and find the best DC you can. Give me the best all around coach.

83-Steelers-43
12-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Cowher hints at faster decision on status
Wednesday, December 27, 2006

By Ed Bouchette
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bill Cowher's status as the Steelers' coach might be determined as soon as next week.

Taking a different stance than he did the previous week, Cowher said yesterday that "it won't go long" before he reveals his plans.

"That's for next week," Cowher said yesterday when he was asked if he will return for a 16th season as the Steelers' coach. "We'll talk about that next week."

Cowher has one season left on his contract, but has said he has a decision to make about his future after the season. Talks to extend his contract broke off in August, and Cowher's wife and youngest daughter, a sophomore in high school, moved to a new home they bought last year in Raleigh, N.C.

"I'm not sure what the time frame is," Cowher said of his impending announcement. "But I think the most important thing is to focus on this game."

If Cowher steps down, he could not coach elsewhere in 2007 unless the Steelers granted permission, which is unlikely. He would be free to coach elsewhere in 2008.

His statement yesterday could mean he already has decided what he plans to do and wants to wait until after the season ends Sunday in Cincinnati to reveal his decision. Last week, he said he wanted to take his time before deciding his future.

"There's been no decision made," he said then. "It will be something I will need to get away from and give some serious thought to and I will do that -- at the right time. Now is not the right time."

On Dec. 13, he told reporters in a conference call in Charlotte, N.C., that "I'll sit back and put a lot of thought into it and make a decision accordingly."

The Steelers, though, would prefer Cowher decide quickly so they also can make plans. If he wanted to remain their coach, they would like to sign him to a contract extension. If he is stepping down, they want to search immediately for his successor.

Their next coach could be on their staff. Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm, who also is assistant head coach, are considered the leading candidates.

But the Steelers also may want to interview coaches who are not on the staff, such as Kirk Ferentz, the University of Iowa coach and Upper St. Clair native. Another possibility is Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. The Steelers interviewed 12 or 13 coaches before they hired Cowher in 1992 to replace Chuck Noll when he retired three days after the 1992 season.

There is urgency because any or all of those candidates -- and possibly others -- could be candidates for other openings in the NFL. It does not look as if there will be as many head coaches fired in the league as there were in recent years, but Arizona and Atlanta appear headed for coaching changes and at least Whisenhunt would be a strong candidate for either. There also could be changes in Miami and with the New York Giants.

The Steelers' assistants add to their attractiveness as candidates because their season will end Sunday and they can be interviewed and hired immediately by another team. Coaches of teams in the playoffs can be interviewed once, but cannot be hired until their season ends.

Whisenhunt turned down an opportunity to coach the Oakland Raiders last season and Grimm has been a candidate for jobs the past few years.

If Cowher leaves, the faster the Steelers pick their next coach and the more time he will have to choose the more attractive assistant coaches to join him before they sign on elsewhere. It is assumed that much of the Steelers' staff would remain here if either Whisenhunt or Grimm is chosen, but there would be some turnover.

When asked if he felt his team needed better players for next season, Cowher said he was not yet ready to talk about next year.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06361/749227-66.stm

83-Steelers-43
12-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Cowher ready for resolution

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The news conference will go down as one of the shortest Bill Cowher has had.

It may also go down as his final weekly briefing with the media as the Steelers' coach.

Cowher didn't say Tuesday whether he will return to the Steelers next season. He did hint that an answer will come shortly after the season ends.

The Steelers play their final game Sunday against the Bengals in Cincinnati.

"It won't go long," Cowher said of his decision process. "I'm not sure what the time frame is, but I think the most important thing right now is focusing on this game, because there's such a difference in my mind between 8-8 and 7-9."

Cowher also framed what the Steelers' motivation entering the game at Cincinnati in more blunt terms.

"Let me put it this way," Cowher said. "Misery loves company, and we're looking for some company."

The Steelers (7-8) could very well be gunning for their 11th win of the season in Cincinnati, Cowher said, if not for a handful of plays.

The plays that made the difference were turnovers.

Only three teams have committed more turnovers than the Steelers, and they were particularly costly in close losses to the Bengals, Falcons and Raiders.

"If you look back on this year and reflect," Cowher said, "it still comes down to turning the football over. That has resulted in us losing some close games this year that in the past we would have won."

The Steelers have been plagued by inconsistent play in a number of areas. That includes the running game, even though Willie Parker made the Pro Bowl and has rushed for 1,360 yards.

Parker is having one of the best seasons, statistically, by a Steelers running back, but he has been held to fewer than 100 rushing yards in seven of the eight losses.

Parker managed just 51 rushing yards in the two losses to the Ravens this season.

Cowher all but said the Steelers need another running back to complement Parker.

"I think (Parker) is one of the better backs in the National Football League," Cowher said. "I do believe you need more than one back in this business if you're going to run the football through a 16-game season."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_485861.html

Preacher
12-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Any guess???

iloveben7
12-26-2006, 11:32 PM
I don't think Cowher is going to leave because who would want to leave on a bad note? No saying that season was horrible, but I don't think Cowher wants to remember it as his last season with the Steelers!!

Preacher
12-26-2006, 11:36 PM
That's not the guess I was thinking!!!

though it may be true. He may be embarrassed enough to sign on for another few years.

MACH1
12-27-2006, 12:22 AM
Yeah I'm not sure. But I think he's going to retire.

lilyoder6
12-27-2006, 12:33 AM
i don't know.. if he wasn't a dumbass to get caught with his hand in the cookie jar his wife nd youngest daughter would of never left... i really hope he stays... he still has many yrs left in him

Preacher
12-27-2006, 01:02 AM
i don't know.. if he wasn't a dumbass to get caught with his hand in the cookie jar his wife nd youngest daughter would of never left... i really hope he stays... he still has many yrs left in him

What??

klick81
12-27-2006, 02:46 AM
What??

LOL...just what i was thinking. It's late. I'm going to sleep. Maybe some of us should as well. :flap:

Preacher
12-27-2006, 03:36 AM
LOL...just what i was thinking. It's late. I'm going to sleep. Maybe some of us should as well. :flap:

Yep...

Please... Let's not start with the Bill Cowher sleeping around on his wife rumors again!

Galax Steeler
12-27-2006, 04:15 AM
I think cower will move on.

4xSBChamps
12-27-2006, 04:15 AM
"In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina
{no pot-holes, nothing-but open-road}

Can't you see the sunshine
{no shoveling-snow 3 months a year}

Can't you just feel the moonshine
{no State-run Liquor Control Board}

[B]Maybe just like a friend of mine
{no Stan Savran asking questions}

It hit me from behind
{no cheap-shot artists}

Yes I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind"
{..... let's-see..... if I take I-79 South.....}

[/Bill Cowher]

Preacher
12-27-2006, 04:37 AM
I hope we find out the day after the game... or the day of the game.

Find out, and then on to the future of the franchise.

LarryNJ
12-27-2006, 04:46 AM
I think he's gone. Out of respect for the Rooneys he'll let them know right away so they will have as much time as possible to do what they need to. Although he made many decisions I thought were nuts. It was a fun ride with Bill. Good luck in retirement. I wish I cold retire at his age. Even if it's only for a year or 2!

Do you think we'll see him on TV?

LarryNJ
12-27-2006, 04:50 AM
He's outta here! maybe..hehehehe

I would see him going to a large market team that can pay him the mega money he wants..

He can be an assistant of Gibbs!

Preacher
12-27-2006, 04:56 AM
HTG...

Sorry, but for the main reason you listed... I think he is gone.

----He's an honorable sort of guy -

Yep, and that honor will have him by his wife and daughter next year... and as a pastor, I say good for him. Family MUST come before work... even the Steelers.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-27-2006, 04:59 AM
Yea ...hes gone....and now how many coaches are drooling at working for the Rooneys!!!! Talk about Job security!!!

plenewken
12-27-2006, 05:55 AM
I voted no because that's my wish. Never been impressed by his abilities. He's been outcoached by so many guys over the years, I mean Fisher, Billick, Bellichick, Shanahan....... With all the talent he had to work with, he should have won at least 1 if not 2 more rings. In reality, I think he'll be back cause he can't leave the job after such an awful accomplishment in 2006. That won't make me happy for sure.

Livinginthe past
12-27-2006, 06:40 AM
If you look at it logically, you have to think he is going to leave.

If he had made his mind up to stay - what would be the point in keeping quiet until after the Bengals game.

If he was staying he would announce it before the game - so you would have a type of artificially induced high to the end of the season.

If he knows he is staying and waits until after the game - people will just ask why he kept everyone on edge fir so long.

However, if he is going he probably wants his team to go out and execute on the field instead of this turning into a 60 minute funeral procession.

Thats how I see it anyway.

NM

5handgang
12-27-2006, 06:58 AM
I agree. I think the way this is all going down, he is retiring. If he had any plans of staying he would have said it by now. You only wait until after the season to announce your decision if your retiring.

steelerbackr4life
12-27-2006, 07:03 AM
If he is gone I really hope I get to hear his version of who dey again.

clevestinks
12-27-2006, 07:20 AM
Well, I was talking to my dad about this the other day, and I mentioned how Whisenhunt and Grimm were both being looked at for HC positions in other teams in the NFL, and he said how Chuck Noll had a whole bunch of great assistants when we went out and signed Cowher. just something to think about

Very true, I`m sure we will end up with the best coach for the $$$$$ when the time comes.

touchdownward
12-27-2006, 07:23 AM
In my opinion he retired on the Super Bowl podium along with Bettis.
Since I've only known of 2 Steelers coaches in my life-time, my selfishness wants him to stay, but not for only one more season. We don't need a lame duck, Brett Favre/The Eagles multi-retirement tour.
Also agree with LITP, why keep quiet of the fact if you plan on staying.
It's been a great ride and it's hard to even remember when Bill wasn't our coach.

Big D
12-27-2006, 07:30 AM
I just hope cowher doesnt pull a brett favre and let this drag out for awhile

clevestinks
12-27-2006, 07:57 AM
I agree with LITP, if he were staying, we would know already. I say Tuesday Jan 2, will be the press conference, that I didnt want, will take place

clevestinks
12-27-2006, 08:09 AM
I voted no because that's my wish. Never been impressed by his abilities. He's been outcoached by so many guys over the years, I mean Fisher, Billick, Bellichick, Shanahan....... With all the talent he had to work with, he should have won at least 1 if not 2 more rings. In reality, I think he'll be back cause he can't leave the job after such an awful accomplishment in 2006. That won't make me happy for sure.

I was hoping he would win more rings, but it aint easy. Look at how many coaches never even get the chance to play in the Superbowl. All the coaches that you mentioned were out coached by Cowher at one time or another.

Shanahan....... Did you see the playoff game last season?

Bellichick.........These two have battled back and forth many times, we owned them and they owned us. Cowher ruled over him as a browns coach. BB went to the pats and he had a better program for awhile.

Billick......... What comes around goes around, we dominate them at times, and now it was thier turn again!

Not sure where your coming from

4xSBChamps
12-27-2006, 09:10 AM
..... I've only known of 2 Steelers coaches in my life-time.....
When I first read this, I thought to myself,

[Sylvester-the-Cat]
"What-a-newb....."
[/Sylvester-the-Cat]

..... until I realized that I've only known 2 years of Bill Austin more than you!
:cheers:

We've been fortunate, having the coaching-stability with this franchise that we've had, and will be lucky to have 'just' 2 more coaches in the next 38 years.

tony hipchest
12-27-2006, 09:18 AM
theres a miniscule chance these guys might be out of work (although the chance is about as great as the rooneys firing cowher about 7 years ago).

hypothetically would the rooneys even interview any of these 3? all 3? and which of the 3 would you select? i think i listed them in the order i would want

clevestinks
12-27-2006, 09:24 AM
ZERO! FOR ME

I want Cowher to stay, but I don`t think he is so, I want to hire young, just like we did with Cowher, I dont want a guy that will coach a few years then we go through this again. The Steelers FO has had two coaches in 35+ years, amazing.

Mosca
12-27-2006, 09:50 AM
I'd go for Dungy. Just because he hasn't won the big one doesn't mean he isn't a quality coach. My belief is that if he becomes available (won't happen) he would be the next Steeler coach.

Tom

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2006, 09:57 AM
this is where all talk of Bill Cowher's Possible retirement will go.

Stlrs4Life
12-27-2006, 10:17 AM
I for one am glad they merged all of them, was getting sick of them all myself.

floodcitygirl
12-27-2006, 10:20 AM
I for one am glad they merged all of them, was getting sick of them all myself.:iagree: Thank you!!!! :bowdown:

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Your welcome FCG.

This is one of our hottest topics since Hines was out for his new contract. and I didn't want it to congest our forums.

HometownGal
12-27-2006, 11:06 AM
This is one of our hottest topics since Hines was out for his new contract. and I didn't want it to congest our forums.

Hallelujah!!!! :cheers:

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2006, 11:07 AM
We can breath easier. LOL.

HometownGal
12-27-2006, 11:10 AM
We can breath easier. LOL.

Most definitely. :thumbsup: Had to wade through all of the same old, same old Cowher threads to find another topic to post on.

After Cowher announces his plans, please everyone - keep your posts contained in this thread, as well. Thanks! :smile:

clevestinks
12-27-2006, 11:11 AM
I agree that there seems to be alot of threads about this topic. But nobody is forced to read or reply! And this will be the biggest news in the last five years, other than the Superbowl. just my opinion

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Most definitely. :thumbsup: Had to wade through all of the same old, same old Cowher threads to find another topic to post on.

After Cowher announces his plans, please everyone - keep your posts contained in this thread, as well. Thanks! :smile:

Definantly HTG. Please keep all threads reguarding the announcement HERE.

HometownGal
12-27-2006, 11:47 AM
I agree that there seems to be alot of threads about this topic. But nobody is forced to read or reply! And this will be the biggest news in the last five years, other than the Superbowl. just my opinion

cleve - it wasn't a matter of anyone being forced to read or reply. It was a matter of umpteen threads on the exact same subject being created and thus, clogging up the Steelers forum. How many different ways can you ask "will he or won't he? :wink02: As I said above, members had to wade through all of the Cowher threads on the same issue to get to something else to read and reply to.

Stillers#1
12-27-2006, 11:51 AM
I do think it's a good idea to merge them together, however, the threat of infractions and/or bans for creating a new one is a bit harsh IMO. Not that my opinion matters.

Regardless, Cowher is gone, and if he isn't he needs to re-up for at least 4-5 years. I don't want another 2006 season with a "lame duck" heading the team.

MACH1
12-27-2006, 11:55 AM
So when after he announces his decision it all has to go in here? Or can someone start a new one about his decision and whats next? And not get banned.

If he does stay it will all go away hopefully.

HometownGal
12-27-2006, 12:02 PM
So when after he announces his decision it all has to go in here? Or can someone start a new one about his decision and whats next? And not get banned.

If he does stay it will all go away hopefully.

To answer your first question - yes. Anything having to do with Bill Cowher staying or leaving goes here .... from now until the end of time. :wink02: I don't think SCM was saying that anyone will get banned the first time or two we find Cowher thread #'s 8005, 8006 and 8007 - we'll simply move them. If the same person(s) continue to post these same type of threads, knowing this thread was created specifically for that purpose, they will receive infract points. Then, it is looked upon as deliberately stirring the pot.

HometownGal
12-27-2006, 12:03 PM
I do think it's a good idea to merge them together, however, the threat of infractions and/or bans for creating a new one is a bit harsh IMO. Not that my opinion matters.

Regardless, Cowher is gone, and if he isn't he needs to re-up for at least 4-5 years. I don't want another 2006 season with a "lame duck" heading the team.

Your opinion does matter, Stillers - everyone's does. That is why we decided upon this course of action - it's a win/win for everyone. :smile:

MACH1
12-27-2006, 12:04 PM
good enough.. carry on :sofunny:

tony hipchest
12-27-2006, 12:07 PM
can we start a seperate "discuss the merger of cowher threads" thread? :chuckle:

HometownGal
12-27-2006, 12:09 PM
can we start a seperate "discuss the merger of cowher threads" thread? :chuckle:

You're crusin' for a bruisin' there, Sir Hipchest. :wink02: :pin:

Stillers#1
12-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Your opinion does matter, Stillers - everyone's does.

Maybe to you it does.....but thats for another thread in a different forum.

Stillers#1
12-27-2006, 12:13 PM

Word!

BigDuke6
12-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Back to the thread topic....Gimme a break....He's gone....As Chuck Noll put it "once you start thinking of retiring....retire".

fansince'76
12-27-2006, 01:40 PM
If someone like Wisehunt gets the job most of the coaches might stay, but bring in an outsider, and who really knows what might happen. My biggest worry is an outsider coming in and changing everything.

I don't think Rooney will hire anyone that wants to change everything around as far as team philosophy is concerned. I remember the regime change from Noll to Cowher - the underlying philosophy of the team did not change. Under Cowher, the team continued to stay true to the "strong running game and good defense" formula.

BigDuke6
12-27-2006, 02:17 PM
I don't think Rooney will hire anyone that wants to change everything around as far as team philosophy is concerned. I remember the regime change from Noll to Cowher - the underlying philosophy of the team did not change. Under Cowher, the team continued to stay true to the "strong running game and good defense" formula.

Whoever comes in as new HC he better bring a new ST coach with him.

clevestinks
12-27-2006, 03:41 PM
cleve - it wasn't a matter of anyone being forced to read or reply. It was a matter of umpteen threads on the exact same subject being created and thus, clogging up the Steelers forum. How many different ways can you ask "will he or won't he? :wink02: As I said above, members had to wade through all of the Cowher threads on the same issue to get to something else to read and reply to.

No problem! I just know that this isnt the end. This is huge news all around the league, and its our team. I agree with the condensing, but I just didn`t think it was that big a deal.. this forum is maged top notch, so i have no problems

Preacher
12-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Honestly...

So that the Cowher retirement thread is not hijacked...

I would like to see a sticky:Cowher replacement thread. Otherwise... this thread will got long and complicated... with two sep. discussions in it.

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2006, 04:10 PM
We'll do that if it gets out of hand.

MACH1
12-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Honestly...

So that the Cowher retirement thread is not hijacked...

I would like to see a sticky:Cowher replacement thread. Otherwise... this thread will got long and complicated... with two sep. discussions in it.

Exactly! Thats what I was thinking with my earlier question??

Preacher
12-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Okay... Good.

Because I want to know what people think about the ability to get Lovely Smith... Or his coordinator.

It will move our Defense to a Cover 2 D... with Troy and Anthony as the lynch pins... With thier ballhawking skills... It could be brutal!

clevestinks
12-27-2006, 04:14 PM
I`m curious to see if the Steelers fell like they have to hire a minority Head Coach, with Rooney leading the minority hiring committee.

Preacher
12-27-2006, 04:27 PM
that is part of what is driving my question. Lovie Smith being black would make him desirable for the Rooney's. However, Ron Rivera (the DB) has done a great job with thier defense. It would be nice to have another defensive coach as a head coach.

MOVING THIS POST TO THE SUCCESSOR THREAD.... LETS CONTINUE THE DISCUSSION THERE!

Thanks to SCM for creating it.

beer72
12-27-2006, 04:58 PM
My two cents. Cowher will retire and ken whisenhunt will get the job. Last year i'm pretty sure the rooney's and cowher talked extension Bill said no whisenhut turned down oakland job for sure steelers coach the following year. All this is just a hunch Go steelers

Preacher
12-27-2006, 05:56 PM
It may be that Wiz stayed to be head coach. However, after this year, I am not sure he gets the job.

MACH1
12-27-2006, 11:57 PM
If this is the last game for Cowher, do you think he would tell the players before the game. Maybe give them a little more motivation to go out there and kick some bungal butt???

Preacher
12-28-2006, 12:39 AM
If this is the last game for Cowher, do you think he would tell the players before the game. Maybe give them a little more motivation to go out there and kick some bungal butt???

Nope...

Because somehow, it would get to the press before kickoff.

Steel Pit
12-28-2006, 04:31 AM
The NFL Network made an excellent point yesterday. They believe that the Bill Cowher press conference scheduled for next week will definitely confirm that Cowher is retiring.

The NFL Network makes their case by suggesting that Cowher couldn't possibly announce that he plans to return next season because of the fact that his current contract is in limbo and it could take several months for he and the Rooney family to reach an agreement on an extension, if in fact they can even do so. They stated that there's little chance that the Rooney family would allow Cowher to return next season under his current contract which is due to expire at the end of next season.

83-Steelers-43
12-28-2006, 06:47 AM
Cowher's status remains a mystery

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, December 28, 2006

With the Steelers out of playoff contention, the issue of whether Bill Cowher will return as head coach next season has dominated conversation.

Everywhere, that is, except for the Steelers' locker room at the team's South Side practice facility.

"We don't talk about it until (reporters) come in and ask us about it," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said about the possibility that Sunday will mark Cowher's final game as the Steelers' head coach. "It's starting to set in a little bit, but no one knows but him what's going to happen."

If the players have any inkling of what Cowher is going to do, they won't say -- at least not publicly.

"That's the man's business, and hopefully he's here," outside linebacker Joey Porter said. "As far as we know he's going to be back. Until they tell us anything different, that's all I know."

The will-he-or-won't-he drama has become the topic du jour regarding the Steelers since they have little to play for when they visit the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday.

The best the defending Super Bowl champions can do with a victory in the 1 p.m. game is finish .500 (8-8).

Cowher is under contract with the Steelers through 2007, but the longest-tenured coach in the NFL could opt to leave after this season because of family or other considerations.

Timing is an issue in the resolution of Cowher's future because NFL teams are allowed to start interviewing candidates for job openings as soon as the season ends.

Two Steelers assistants -- offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm -- could be on the short list of teams that make a coaching change. They also would be among the favorites to replace Cowher if he steps down, and the Steelers could lose one or both of them if Cowher dawdles in deciding what he is going to do.

Perhaps that is why the veteran head coach said Tuesday that he will make a decision on his future with the team shortly after the season is over.

"I don't think anybody in this locker room wants (Sunday) to be his last game," Porter said.

"Oh, I definitely want to see him come back," Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca said. "That's a no-brainer."

It may be more complicated than Cowher wanting to coach the Steelers for a 16th season.

His wife and youngest daughter have relocated to Raleigh, N.C., and the Rooney family may not be willing to pay the kind of money Cowher would want to sign a contract extension.

He is believed to be making around $4 million this season.

"In this business, players, coaches, they come and go," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "Every man has his right to leave and go on to do other things. We appreciate the time he is with us and not really look and worry about the future."

When asked if Cowher will not be with the Steelers in future seasons, Ward said, "We don't know. He could still be the coach next year."

In other words, Ward said, stay tuned.

Like everybody else.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_486005.html

83-Steelers-43
12-28-2006, 06:48 AM
Steelers say Cowher's possible departure not a motivator

By The Associated Press
Thursday, December 28, 2006

If the Pittsburgh Steelers are determined to win one for Bill Cowher, they're certainly not acting like it.

With the Steelers (7-8) now out of playoff contention, the focus for their season-ending game Sunday at Cincinnati has shifted to the possible resignation of Bill Cowher less than 11 months after he coached them to a Super Bowl victory.

Except, it seems, in their own locker room.

"No, that's not the motivation," linebacker Joey Porter said Wednesday. "I don't think nobody is using that because he's never said anything like that to us. That's not a motivational speech you can use until somebody says it."

Cowher plans to announce his future plans next week ? a sign that the NFL coach with the longest current tenure with a single team may be ready to retire or temporarily step out of the NFL after 15 seasons in Pittsburgh. He has one season left on a contract he signed in 2004, but has made no move to sign an extension.

In many NFL cities, changes in the front office and the coaching staff occur on a fairly regular basis. But not in Pittsburgh, where the Steelers have had the same primary ownership for all but a few months since 1933 and only two coaches since 1969.

While the 49-year-old Cowher's status is the topic du jour in the city where he coaches, his players don't seem to be caught up in the is-he-staying or is-he-going discussions.

"I'm not lying, we don't talk about it until you guys come asking about it," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger told reporters. "It's not a thought on our minds."

Porter has played for Cowher, and only Cowher, since 1999 and the two have more than a usual player-coach relationship. When Cowher's two oldest daughters came to town Friday to play in Princeton's basketball game against Duquesne, Porter and linebacker Larry Foote were among those sitting with Cowher and his wife.

If Cowher steps down, it may be to spend more time watching his three daughters play basketball ? his youngest is a high school sophomore in North Carolina ? before he decides whether he wants to coach again. He also might want to move into a broadcast booth as an analyst.

Porter said he isn't certain what Cowher plans to do, although he said a couple of weeks ago that he expected Cowher to return.

"You stay out of that situation ? that's the man's business," Porter said. "Hopefully he is here, that's all I'm hoping for. Until he tells me different, that's what I'm planning on."

Wide receiver Hines Ward, like Porter, is one of the few NFL players who have spent substantial time in the league yet have played for only one head coach. Ward, whose career began in 1998, said it would be a big change if Cowher leaves, but change is the league's one constant.

"In this business, players and coaches come and go, if Cowher stays, everybody in the city will love it," Ward said. "If he goes, every man has his right to leave and go on to do other things. We as players appreciate the time we've had with him, and we're not really looking or worried about the future."

However, Ward said he would like to see the Steelers promote Cowher's replacement, if there is one, from within. Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm have interviewed previously for head coaching jobs.

"Of course you would love to stay in-house," Ward said. "The coaching staff knows you, but that's not my job. I just play."

The Bengals (8-7) also are paying attention to the Steelers' situation, if only because none of them has opposed a Steelers team that wasn't coached by Cowher.

"He's too good of a coach to hang it up forever," quarterback Carson Palmer said. "I'm sure he'll be back. Whether he's back with Pittsburgh next year or not, he'll be back in this league at some point."

Coach Marvin Lewis is among those who find it difficult to envision a Steelers sideline without Cowher, who has led the Steelers to two Super Bowls and six AFC championship games since 1992.

"Obviously, what he's been able to do in 15 seasons there with the Steelers is just off the charts ? the success, the teams, the players, the coaches," Lewis said. "It will be a shame."

Cowher's predecessor, four-time Super Bowl champion Chuck Noll, won his final two games with the Steelers, beating the Bengals and Browns by identical 17-10 scores in 1991 to complete a 7-9 season.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_485989.html

Atlanta Dan
12-28-2006, 09:21 AM
I think he's gone. Out of respect for the Rooneys he'll let them know right away so they will have as much time as possible to do what they need to. Although he made many decisions I thought were nuts. It was a fun ride with Bill. Good luck in retirement. I wish I cold retire at his age. Even if it's only for a year or 2!

Do you think we'll see him on TV?

I do not really think it is out of respect for the Rooneys as much as being told the Rooneys are not going to lose January as a month to seek a replacement while teams like the Falcons look for a new coach (Whiz?) as Cowher contemplates the meaning of life. That is why I think Cowher's comments went from "I will think about it after the season ends" following the Charlotte game to "you will hear from me next week" after the Ravens game. I also think any last ditch contract extension talks were terminated by the Rooneys last week.

As for TV, I bet he gets a gig on ESPN until he gets a new job in a few years; that network just keeps adding faces to its never ending pre-game shows.

All that having been said, I will be very sorry to see Cowher go but if his coaching would have continued with this year's behavior I would be sorry to see him stay.

Big D
12-28-2006, 09:23 AM
I do not really think it is out of respect for the Rooneys as much as being told the Rooneys are not going to lose January as a month to seek a replacement while teams like the Falcons look for a new coach (Whiz?) as Cowher contemplates the meaning of life. That is why I think Cowher's comments went from "I will think about it after the season ends" following the Charlotte game to "you will hear from me next week" after the Ravens game. I also think any last ditch contract extension talks were terminated by the Rooneys last week.

As for TV, I bet he gets a gig on ESPN until he gets a new job in a few years; that network just keeps adding faces to its never ending pre-game shows.

All that having been said, I will be very sorry to see Cowher go but if his coaching would have continued with this year's behavior I would be sorry to see him stay.

I agree dan. The rooneys wouldnt let cowher pull a brett favre.

polamalufan43
12-28-2006, 10:13 AM
I agree dan. The rooneys wouldnt let cowher pull a brett favre.

That's true. Although I don't think anyone can come to a conclusion untill Cowher tells us himself. No doubt after his decision the media are going to try and stage interviews for the "why did you choose to stay/leave"

clevestinks
12-28-2006, 03:45 PM
My vote would be for Cowher to stay! Love the CHIN!

Big D
12-28-2006, 03:49 PM
My vote would be for Cowher to stay! Love the CHIN!

awesome sig..

clevestinks
12-28-2006, 04:07 PM
awesome sig..

Its getting better! thank you! Someone pointed out that I still had Staley in my old one!:cheers:

Big D
12-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Its getting better! thank you! Someone pointed out that I still had Staley in my old one!:cheers:

I dont know what loud mouth punk would do that... :computer:

clevestinks
12-28-2006, 04:09 PM
I dont know what loud mouth punk would do that... :computer:

My problem is someone else built me the old sig. i`m not crafty enough to make one I just steal pics.

Big D
12-28-2006, 04:31 PM
My problem is someone else built me the old sig. i`m not crafty enough to make one I just steal pics.

The one you are using right now is pretty cool. Justin did my avator i'm sure he could do a signature for you.

fansince'76
12-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Never been impressed by his abilities. He's been outcoached by so many guys over the years, I mean Fisher, Billick, Bellichick, Shanahan....... With all the talent he had to work with, he should have won at least 1 if not 2 more rings.

Sorry, I see it exactly the opposite way. Despite the early years of free agency in the '90s when we were losing our best players en masse every year through the revolving door that was on the clubhouse at the time, he still got to 4 AFCC games and a Superbowl (pre-Ben) with QBs that were at best average (and I'm being generous here).

As far as being outcoached, nobody ever accused Cowher of being an X's and O's man, but he has been brilliant in getting alot of teams that would have finished at best 8-8 under alot of other coaches to play beyond their collective abilities and get deep into the postseason multiple times. I think all things considered he has done an outstanding job of coaching overall during his 15 years with the team.

Preacher
12-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Sorry, I see it exactly the opposite way. Despite the early years of free agency in the '90s when we were losing our best players en masse every year through the revolving door that was on the clubhouse at the time, he still got to 4 AFCC games and a Superbowl (pre-Ben) with QBs that were at best average (and I'm being generous here).

As far as being outcoached, nobody ever accused Cowher of being an X's and O's man, but he has been brilliant in getting alot of teams that would have finished at best 8-8 under alot of other coaches to play beyond their collective abilities and get deep into the postseason multiple times. I think all things considered he has done an outstanding job of coaching overall during his 15 years with the team.

I am starting to learn that this plenew... character really just likes to complain about everything black and gold... the coach, the quarterback.. next, he will be saying that Willie is a big problem.

BigDuke6
12-29-2006, 01:03 AM

Cowher has his warts as do most coaches. Everybody who is gushing over Jeff Fisher right now (me for one) need to ask where Jeff's been for the last 2-3 years. One trip to The Show and he lost that one. Point being, I love The Chin. He's done a great job and has been the face of our franchise for a long time.
Do I think he'll be back ? No I dont.

Preacher
12-29-2006, 05:11 AM
Cowher has his warts as do most coaches. Everybody who is gushing over Jeff Fisher right now (me for one) need to ask where Jeff's been for the last 2-3 years. One trip to The Show and he lost that one. Point being, I love The Chin. He's done a great job and has been the face of our franchise for a long time.
Do I think he'll be back ? No I dont.

So sad... but so true.

Steelers
12-31-2006, 12:00 AM
As far as I'm concerned, he quit months ago.

Don't get me wrong. I've always been a Cowher fan, but this year is inexcusable and he needs to head into retirement before things get too out of hand.

NV STEELERS 723
12-31-2006, 01:01 AM
Seeing Posts about Cowher here in SF was trivial.....but seeing it at the Gazette dropped my heart...I thought ughhhh .... its true, he's gonna leave...

He's been a great coach for our STEELERS ....I won't say a bad word about him....He's done so much for the City of Pittsburgh...

No matter the outcome Sunday against the Bungholes, I will be clapping when he walks off the field the last time...and probably tears to the eye too:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :crying01: :crying01:

ps...I bet when BC says goodbye after that game, there are going to be some very huge STEELER football players cryin too...

It really is OK to cry...

klick81
12-31-2006, 01:07 AM
seeing it at the Gazette dropped my heart...I thought ughhhh .... its true, he's gonna leave...

Just what i was thinking...it's kinda gonna be like seeing a good friend leave to another state.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-31-2006, 03:46 AM
Just what i was thinking...it's kinda gonna be like seeing a good friend leave to another state.

excellent comparison!!!!...

Borski
12-31-2006, 03:50 AM
how did the PG find this out, I thought it was being kept top secret.

floodcitygirl
12-31-2006, 05:51 AM
Just what i was thinking...it's kinda gonna be like seeing a good friend leave to another state.I agree. It's hard to imagaine...... I'm really thankful to be going to the game today...just in case.

stillers4me
12-31-2006, 06:30 AM
I'm thinking here's gone, too. My first Steeler game will most likely be his last.........Flood's gonna see me cry.....................................

LarryNJ
12-31-2006, 06:36 AM
I'm thinking here's gone, too. My first Steeler game will most likely be his last.........

Wow your first game, have a great time and enjoy the last game of a very good era. It's been a fun ride with Bill.

83-Steelers-43
12-31-2006, 06:48 AM
Steelers expect Cowher to quit
Team management puts together a list of head-coaching candidates for when the 15-year veteran retires, as they think he'll do after today
Sunday, December 31, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers management has compiled a list of head coaching candidates when, as they expect, Bill Cowher steps down after he concludes his 15th season on the job in Cincinnati today.

Although Mr. Cowher, 49, said last Tuesday that it would not be long before he makes an announcement clearing up his plans, no press conference is scheduled and none may occur this week in Pittsburgh, at least not with Mr. Cowher present.

Mr. Cowher plans to meet with his players at the team's UPMC complex on the South Side Tuesday and then leave for his new home in Raleigh, N.C., where his wife, Kaye, and youngest daughter, Lindsay, a high school sophomore, have lived most of the past year.

He has not informed his players or his coaching staff of his plans. Steelers chairman Dan Rooney and his son, team president Art Rooney II, have not commented on the situation.

The Rooneys would join Kevin Colbert, the director of football operations, in heading a coaching search, the team's first since 1992. At that time, the Steelers interviewed about a dozen candidates for the job, including current Pitt head coach Dave Wannstedt, one of two finalists for the position that Mr. Cowher landed after longtime coach Chuck Noll retired.

Two members of Mr. Cowher's offensive staff are considered the prime candidates to take his place: Russ Grimm, the assistant head coach and line coach, and offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt. The Steelers also want to interview outside candidates, including University of Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, an Upper St. Clair native. The NFL requires each team to interview a minority coach -- called the Rooney Rule because Dan Rooney proposed it -- and the Steelers will do that.

If and when Mr. Cowher quits, the team expects to move quickly to replace him.

Mr. Cowher has one year left on a contract that pays him an estimated $4 million to $5 million a year. Talks to extend his deal broke off in August. If he steps down, he could not coach elsewhere until 2008.

Sources on both sides have told the Post-Gazette that more than one issue has led Mr. Cowher to this crossroads in his career. Part of it is money. The Steelers offered Mr. Cowher between $6 million and $6.5 million annually near the end of a contract extension. That's an amount Mr. Cowher may consider below market for a coach with his record, especially since that salary would not kick in for another three or four years.

The coach he beat in the Super Bowl last February, Seattle's Mike Holmgren, earns an estimated $8 million to $10 million a year, and Washington's Joe Gibbs earns anywhere from a reported $5 million to $7 million annually.

There are personal issues, too. Mr. Cowher said at a recent press conference that he was not tired of coaching and he was not "burned out." However, he told at least one associate more than a year ago that he was tired of the coaching grind and might retire soon. It was then, in the fall of 2005, that he and his wife purchased their 7,400-square foot, $2.5 million home in Raleigh.

Both Mr. Cowher, a Crafton native, and his wife graduated from North Carolina State University and were star athletes there. Kaye Cowher is from North Carolina and the couple have many friends and family in the area.

Mr. Cowher admitted recently that he thought of retiring after the Steelers won the Super Bowl in February.

When Kaye and Lindsay Cowher moved to Raleigh, and Lindsay enrolled in a private school there speculation increased that this would be Mr. Cowher's final season here. The Cowhers' other two daughters, both now at Princeton University and stars on the school's basketball team, graduated from Fox Chapel Area High School.

Asked last summer why Mr. Cowher would send his wife and daughter to Raleigh while he coached the Steelers in Pittsburgh, a close associate of his said the question included a misused word: "send," the implication being it was not Mr. Cowher's decision to have his wife and daughter move to North Carolina.

Steelers believe time is short

Whatever the reason for the move, it seemed an untenable situation. Further evidence came when contract extension talks broke off in August. Mr. Cowher has never entered the final two years of a contract -- he's always been given an extension before it came to that point. That they were negotiating meant Mr. Cowher entertained thoughts last summer of extending his stay as Steelers coach, lending credence to the idea that the money just wasn't enough to convince him to do so.

Art Rooney II said in August that he hoped talks would resume when the 2006 season ended. But as the season approached its final weeks, Mr. Cowher mentioned he had a decision to make on his future and he would take time after the season to consider his options, saying it would not be a "knee-jerk" decision.

"It will be something I will need to get away from and give some serious thought to and I will do that -- at the right time," Mr. Cowher said.

The Steelers do not believe they have that kind of time to wait. Both Mr. Whisenhunt and Mr. Grimm could be prime candidates for head coaching jobs elsewhere this week, and with the Steelers not in the playoffs, they are permitted to talk to other teams. Coaches of teams in the playoffs can be interviewed once but not hired until after they are eliminated.

Octagon Financial Services president Phil de Picciotto, Mr. Cowher's agent, began calling the Steelers several weeks ago, and while the sides eventually talked, nothing was accomplished. Mr. De Picciotto was out of town, a secretary in his McLean, Va., office said, and unavailable this past week.

Besides money, the sides could not agree on the coach's obligations to be in Pittsburgh in the off-season. Mr. Cowher wanted to spend more time in Raleigh and that was not something Steelers management felt would work. Some were surprised, for example, when Mr. Cowher took time off this past year during preparations for the draft. He has spent time in Raleigh at least three times during the season -- once after the Thursday night season opener in early September, once during a bye week in late September and again after their second Thursday night game in early December.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06365/750272-66.stm

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-31-2006, 07:27 AM
Okay...I have said who I thought I would like as coach when Cowher leaves...NOW I am going to make my Official pick as to who I think it will be:

Russ Grimm

PA native...Asst head coach....I have a very strong feeling that he beats out Whisenhut...who will end up in Atlanta...and Cowher will be the Head Coach in Carolina in a few years.

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2006, 08:09 AM
Asked last summer why Mr. Cowher would send his wife and daughter to Raleigh while he coached the Steelers in Pittsburgh, a close associate of his said the question included a misused word: "send," the implication being it was not Mr. Cowher's decision to have his wife and daughter move to North Carolina.

For whatever reason Kaye Cowher wanted out of Pittsburgh ASAP - they bought the Raleigh house but with their $$$ the Cowhers could have worked out something to have the family stay in Pittsburgh this season.

A lot more than $$$ is driving this departure and I do not think it is burnout.

And here is another nugget from the P-G article.

Some were surprised, for example, when Mr. Cowher took time off this past year during preparations for the draft. He has spent time in Raleigh at least three times during the season -- once after the Thursday night season opener in early September, once during a bye week in late September and again after their second Thursday night game in early December

The Steelers have not received the commitment expected of a NFL head coach this year. Cowher has been a great cosch but in several ways his conduct this season will make it easier to say goodbye.

HometownGal
12-31-2006, 08:30 AM
OK, OK - you guys finally convinced me. Not because of Bouchette's article - he's flip-flopped on this topic more than a fish out of water - but because a couple of people in this thread actually put forth some good theories as to why they believe The Chin's retirement is imminent.

I have no problem whatsoever with Cowher and wish with all my heart he would stay, but I can't blame the man for wanting to return to a normal family life with Kaye and the girls. Thank you Bill for all you have brought to this organization, the teams and us fans - you will always be a legend here in the Burgh and you're going to be one tough act to follow! :tt02:

Some were surprised, for example, when Mr. Cowher took time off this past year during preparations for the draft. He has spent time in Raleigh at least three times during the season -- once after the Thursday night season opener in early September, once during a bye week in late September and again after their second Thursday night game in early December

The above caught my eye - God forbid the man took several occasions during the season to spend time with his family. :horror:

clevestinks
12-31-2006, 08:37 AM
HTG Crossed over to the dark side!

Stlrs4Life
12-31-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the memories, and best of luck to ya Coach Cowher.

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2006, 08:47 AM
HTG - taking time off to be with your family is great, but that is why coaches live with their families in the city where they coach.

I am not saying that Cowher should pull a Dick Vermeil and sleep on the office couch, but during the season coaching in the NFL is a seven day a week job.

The trip in December is a non-issue, since the season was long gone by that point. Leaving in September at the start of the regular season after the team went 0-4 in preseason, played an opener in which the Steelers trailed into the 4th Q, and was dealing with issues including whether to go with Batch or Ben in Jax is an entirely different matter -it was not as if the Steelers did not have some major issues to work on at that time which in hindsight clearly were not worrked out.

HometownGal
12-31-2006, 08:51 AM
HTG Crossed over to the dark side!

LOL! It wasn't easy as I really believed something would be worked out before season's end but that appears not to be the case, so I had to give in....reluctantly. :smile: I'm really going to miss him a lot, but I have to keep the faith that the Steelers will replace him with someone black and gold worthy. :thumbsup:

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2006, 08:58 AM
If they win today maybe the Steelers should carry Cowher off the field on their shoulders:smile:

clevestinks
12-31-2006, 10:00 AM
With him not showing his passion that he has in the past, maybe its best that he leaves now, I am a huge Cowher fan, but we need that inspirational passion that he used to have

tony hipchest
12-31-2006, 10:31 AM
sunday nfl countdown just reported a leak from cowhers agent that he is willing to stay and coach the remaining year on his contract for a $2 million raise pushing his salary to $6 mil.

the rooneys are balking cause they want a long term commitment. so this looks to be about money and it tells me if cowher leaves the rooneys will be looking for as much continuity as possible.

Big D
12-31-2006, 11:05 AM
sunday nfl countdown just reported a leak from cowhers agent that he is willing to stay and coach the remaining year on his contract for a $2 million raise pushing his salary to $6 mil.

the rooneys are balking cause they want a long term commitment. so this looks to be about money and it tells me if cowher leaves the rooneys will be looking for as much continuity as possible.

I want him back only if he takes the extention. If not let him retire. I dont want another season like this one. Theres more to life then money mr cowher. Go home to your family and enjoy retirement.

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2006, 11:34 AM

Cowher is making it easier to be less discouraged he is going with every news update.

No extension should mean goodbye - no way we need a repeat of this year's uncertainty.

clevestinks
12-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Well it looks like Cowher may be down to his last three quarters now.

Any chance he told the players his plans before the game???? Probably not!

Livinginthe past
12-31-2006, 01:42 PM
Anyone disappointed that money appears to be a major motivation in leaving this year?

Big D
12-31-2006, 01:42 PM
Anyone disappointed that money appears to be a major motivation in leaving this year?

YES! I think it could tarnish his legacy

83-Steelers-43
12-31-2006, 03:53 PM
Bye Bill. Take care. Thanks for the memories. Time for this franchise to move on and cross the next bridge much like we did when Noll left.

clevestinks
12-31-2006, 03:53 PM
After Cowhers press conference today, has anyone changed thier minds? My wife says he staying, for waht its worth,

tony hipchest
12-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Anyone disappointed that money appears to be a major motivation in leaving this year?no. cowher deserves more than $4 mil/ year and doesnt deserve to be low balled. why should he be any different from any other coach/player in the nfl? why the rooneys would even attempt to low ball him beats me.

big bens getting (and will get millions) while riding around without a helmet, yet cowher is taking all the blame for a supposed lack of emotion. i dont think cowher really welcoms the coaching decisions of starting a qb after a bike accident, appendectomy, or concussion. dungys, or belichicks jobs werent made that tough.

MACH1
12-31-2006, 04:05 PM
no. cowher deserves more than $4 mil/ year and doesnt deserve to be low balled. why should he be any different from any other coach/player in the nfl? why the rooneys would even attempt to low ball him beats me.

big bens getting (and will get millions) while riding around without a helmet, yet cowher is taking all the blame for a supposed lack of emotion. i dont think cowher really welcoms the coaching decisions of starting a qb after a bike accident, appendectomy, or concussion. dungys, or belichicks jobs werent made that tough.

:iagree:

Bill deserves to be paid what a top 5 coach would make. After all in 15 years bad seasons are few in between.

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2006, 04:24 PM
After Cowhers press conference today, has anyone changed thier minds? My wife says he staying, for waht its worth,

What did he say in the press conference - was Kaye there with an ad announcing the house in Raleigh is for sale?

clevestinks
12-31-2006, 08:49 PM
What did he say in the press conference - was Kaye there with an ad announcing the house in Raleigh is for sale?

No she wasnt there, but he did mention that he didnt want to make any descision based on being all excited after the win, in the heat of the moment. And he has to appreciate that his team didnt give up, they played until th elast second, and every player interviewed today was talking about how much they need him to stay

A.M.
12-31-2006, 10:42 PM
He's not coming back...here we go wisenhunt or w/e you spell it lol

t-sizzlez
01-01-2007, 09:41 AM
idk..he will iether come back becuz we ended on a good note or he will retire as winning his last few games and not to mention the superbowl last year :)

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Faneca sees Cowher resigning as Steelers coach
Monday, January 01, 2007

All-Pro guard Alan Faneca said today he thinks coach Bill Cowher will soon quit as Steelers coach, ending a 15-year reign with the team.

"I think he's definitely leaning toward calling it a day, but you never know," Faneca said after meeting with Cowher this morning. "He said he's going to step away and let the emotions set and get back with his family and make a decision."

Cowher talked to the team as a whole at a 10 a.m. meeting today, then began meeting individually with players, starting with the team's oldest veterans.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07001/750531-100.stm

Bye-Bye Bill. :wave:

Atlanta Dan
01-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Interesting Cowher stat from Peter King of SI.com

Cowher and Joe Gibbs have each coached 15 regular seasons. Cowher's teams won 149games in his 15 years. Gibbs' teams won 145 in his.

Of course Gibbs won 3 SBs. The one rap that makes Cowher only a borderline HOF candidate is his record in home AFC championship games.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-01-2007, 12:40 PM
This is one of the reasons that I am proud to be a fan of a team with such a tradition and a legacy...There is a good chance that at the beginning of next year..we will have a new HC...new asst coaches...some of our big name veterans will be gone..but yet, although I am sad to see what we have go the way of pro sports...I also am experiencing some serious, thoughtful, anxious, excited feelings towards seeing the growth of a new era with best Franchise in the world.
Is there a chance that we may struggle for a year or two...almost definatley! But I have all faith that WE wont have to wait 15-20 years for a playoff win like SOME teams...In fact I have every confidence that even if we should lose most of our coaching staff and a few vets..we will still be contenders in 2-3 years...and would not be TOTALLY surprised to see us beat the odds and contend next year.
So..thank you Coach Cowher...We love ya....but the bottom line is that, just as we found out with Coach Noll...The Steelers Family is BIGGER than any one player..or even a beloved coach...Its based on a blueprint that the Rooney family KNOWS to work and one based on Patiance and Character and Work ethic....sooooooo
BRING ON THE NEW YEAR!!!!!

Atlanta Dan
01-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Here is a link to an AP article ("Cowher Countdown Begins") with quotes from Faneca, Porter and other players on their last meetings with Cowher today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2716650

It is obvious he is going to quit, so he needs to resign tomorrow or, if he wants to give Dick Hoak his day in the sun, on Wednesday. Cowher has been a very good coach, but since he is leaving the Steelers need to have a full opportunity to get the best replacement. Arizona and Atlanta (and Whiz and Grimm?) are not going to delay making their hiring decisions while Cowher goes through the charade of "making a decision."

Nothing Cowher has done as Steelers coach has been as poorly executed as his exit strategy. If his intent was to reduce the sense of loss resulting from his departure he has succeeded.

tony hipchest
01-01-2007, 05:48 PM
thanks for the link atl dan.

"I didn't cry. I almost did, but I didn't," linebacker Joey Porter said. "Yeah, it was emotional because that's my guy."

*sigh*

i definitely appreciate the SB win but 2nd to that i appreciate the focus on "team" and that atmosphere that has been developed within the steelers organization.

15 years was too long to wait but im glad the rooneys and cowher stuck it out through the hard times.

i hope we can get some good value for porter in a trade.

*SIGH*

Stlrs4Life
01-01-2007, 09:37 PM
This is one of the reasons that I am proud to be a fan of a team with such a tradition and a legacy...There is a good chance that at the beginning of next year..we will have a new HC...new asst coaches...some of our big name veterans will be gone..but yet, although I am sad to see what we have go the way of pro sports...I also am experiencing some serious, thoughtful, anxious, excited feelings towards seeing the growth of a new era with best Franchise in the world.
Is there a chance that we may struggle for a year or two...almost definatley! But I have all faith that WE wont have to wait 15-20 years for a playoff win like SOME teams...In fact I have every confidence that even if we should lose most of our coaching staff and a few vets..we will still be contenders in 2-3 years...and would not be TOTALLY surprised to see us beat the odds and contend next year.
So..thank you Coach Cowher...We love ya....but the bottom line is that, just as we found out with Coach Noll...The Steelers Family is BIGGER than any one player..or even a beloved coach...Its based on a blueprint that the Rooney family KNOWS to work and one based on Patiance and Character and Work ethic....sooooooo
BRING ON THE NEW YEAR!!!!!

No doubt, excellent post!

BOXCAR JOEY
01-01-2007, 10:49 PM
This is my opinion......

Basically I think bill Cohwer is one of the greatest coaches to grace the NFL. How often do you see someone at the reins of a team for 15 years? Now a days its an average of 3 to 5 years if that. That says something to me. . If the tower of cohwer does decide to resign from the steelers organiization, i will stick with his decision, but i will me devastated.

When and if Bill leaves either on his own or by force, I hope the Rooneys decide to go with a young head coach with a great mind for defense but with a powerful sense on the offense to help guide ben and willie and heath hiller(who i think is one of the best tight ends since mike ditka) to make the steelers a truly unstopable force like the days of old.

83-Steelers-43
01-02-2007, 06:18 AM
Players now believe Cowher is quitting
Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Some Steelers players came from yesterday's meeting with coach Bill Cowher believing even more firmly that he will quit as their coach.

Cowher met with his players and assistant coaches as a group yesterday morning and then spent the rest of the day meeting with each of them individually. The feeling in the organization -- from management to the players -- is that Cowher will step down after 15 seasons and with one year left on his contract.

At least one prominent Steelers veteran said publicly he believes Cowher will soon quit, based on what he told his team the past two days.

"I think he's definitely leaning toward calling it a day, but you never know," All-Pro guard Alan Faneca said after meeting with Cowher yesterday. "He said he's going to step away and let the emotions set and get back with his family and make a decision."

Cowher talked to the whole team at 10 a.m. yesterday, then began meeting individually with players, starting with the team's oldest veterans. It's a daylong process he has followed during his 15 years as Steelers coach.

Players said while he did not reveal his plans, it was emotional and carried the feeling that it could be the final meeting with their coach. Others too in the organization say they believe he will soon step down.

"I didn't cry," said linebacker Joey Porter, like Faneca a team co-captain. "That was a good thing. I almost did, but I didn't.

"It was emotional because that is my guy there. Whatever decision he makes, he has been in it for so long. What people don't understand is when you are a head coach you deal with all of the stress. You come to a point where do you let football be your whole life. If he does retire, I can understand it."

Talks to extend his contract broke off in August. Cowher plans to leave today to join his wife and youngest daughter in his new home in Raleigh, N.C.

"He's going to give some thought about it," said Porter. "But I think if he comes to a point where he's at ease with himself and he feels good about it, a week from today or something like that, it'll be clear-cut on his decision he has for us."

Porter and Faneca both hugged Cowher in their meetings. Faneca said he felt it would be the last time they see him as their coach.

"The team meeting was handled in a manner, I think, anybody who's not sure of [him] coming back, this could be the last one," Faneca said. "It definitely had that feeling and tone to it ...

"Yesterday was handled as if it could have been his last game. Today was handled as if it could have been his last meeting. It adds to it, but I think it's the same feeling I've had."

Those players who spoke publicly after yesterday's meetings said they do not feel abandoned by their coach less than a year after they won a Super Bowl.

"No, he's going to be missed," Faneca said. "Everybody has his time, whether they're playing or coaching. There are decisions in life and other things in football, if that's what it is. I think you have to respect everyone's decision."

The Steelers do not expect Cowher to reveal his plans this week, but Cowher said it won't be long after that. They'd like a quick decision because they'd like to begin the search for his successor as soon as possible.

Offensive line coach Russ Grimm, also the assistant head coach, and offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt are considered prime candidates to replace Cowher. One or both also could be attractive candidates elsewhere, particularly in Atlanta and Arizona, teams that fired their coaches yesterday. Whisenhunt is a Georgia native who played at Georgia Tech and was a tight end for the Falcons. He also started his pro coaching career with them.

However, team president Art Rooney II and his father, team chairman Dan Rooney, might not want to be pressured to move quickly to look for a new coach. They would prefer to go through a more thorough process than to react to what another NFL team might do.

"The Rooneys know how to find good coaches," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "If he does go, they know how to pick winners. I'm not worried about that at all."

Said safety Ryan Clark, "I just want it to be somebody from here."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07002/750598-66.stm

klick81
01-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Okay...well if it's gonna happen, i hope it happens SOON because as far as i'm concerned, our off-season has already started. If we're gonna need a new leader, we need to know asap. If not, welcome back Cowher!

nicesteel4life
01-02-2007, 10:49 AM
ESPN is reporting that the Rooneys are meeting with Cowher today and would like a yes or no, we might know something later today. GULP!

Stillers#1
01-02-2007, 10:56 AM
My eyes are officially glued to ESPN!

MACH1
01-02-2007, 11:01 AM
My eyes are officially glued to ESPN!

Wow thats quick, maybe they worked something out. Maybe not.

83-Steelers-43
01-02-2007, 11:09 AM
WTAE NEWS: It was just reported on WTAE news about five minutes ago that Cowher has not made his decision clear today. They also stated that Cowher is leaving for North Carolina either today or tomorrow and will probably not have an answer this week.

Big surprise there....

MACH1
01-02-2007, 11:17 AM
They could be working on ironing out a new contract????

Big D
01-02-2007, 12:10 PM
WTAE NEWS: It was just reported on WTAE news about five minutes ago that Cowher has not made his decision clear today. They also stated that Cowher is leaving for North Carolina either today or tomorrow and will probably not have an answer this week.

Big surprise there....
i'm losing more and more respect for cowher every day

Stillers#1
01-02-2007, 12:12 PM

I'm not, this is a huge decision not only for the franchise and its fans, but for Cowher as well. I want him to make the right one, if it takes a week then so be it.

4xSBChamps
01-02-2007, 12:12 PM
I hate to agree with you, but I must:
he is turning into the Mark Martin of NFL coaches.....

nicesteel4life
01-02-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm not, this is a huge decision not only for the franchise and its fans, but for Cowher as well. I want him to make the right one, if it takes a week then so be it.
AGREE......Totally. Yes, we want him back but not for 1 year, Yes he needs to make his mind up quickly but today is not going to change anything. I want him only if its whats best for the team and the orginazation as a whole. If not I enjoyed the last 15 years!

GO STEELERS in 2007

Big D
01-02-2007, 12:38 PM

look at it like this. What if during this time he's considering retirement we lose whisnhunt and grimm.

nicesteel4life
01-02-2007, 12:42 PM
look at it like this. What if during this time he's considering retirement we lose whisnhunt and grimm.

Are they really who we want? for the long haul? Love them both but both have downfalls as well....And if they leave that quick to take it, did they really want to be here without Cowher? Questions Questions Questions, all will be weighed out for months maybe years.

Big D
01-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Are they really who we want? for the long haul? Love them both but both have downfalls as well....And if they leave that quick to take it, did they really want to be here without Cowher? Questions Questions Questions, all will be weighed out for months maybe years.

Like I have said many times there were plenty of great in house canidates when we hired cowher to replace noll. I just think that cowher isnt giving us a fair chance to interview all the canidates we may be interested in. I'm sure Mr Cowher was thinking about retirement all year so I dont know why he has to brett favre us now

MACH1
01-02-2007, 12:55 PM
They might be working on a deal to keep him here. Either way I dont think both Wiz and Grimm would stick around anyways no matter how things pan out.

Big D
01-02-2007, 12:56 PM
They might be working on a deal to keep him here. Either way I dont think both Wiz and Grimm would stick around anyways no matter how things pan out.

I think whisenhunt will end up in the atl

MACH1
01-02-2007, 01:06 PM
I think whisenhunt will end up in the atl

Thats to bad. Wonder how long he'll last with "coach killer" Vick. :wink02:

Big D
01-02-2007, 01:13 PM

maybe he will have the brains to realize you cant win with vick. And sign Schaub

nicesteel4life
01-02-2007, 01:21 PM
lol, agree with that Big D, and also agree it is hurting us in shopping around, but i think the Rooneys inside already got the wheels turning, and have a back offer already on the burner, they have seen the signs as well.

4xSBChamps
01-02-2007, 01:39 PM
..... if the people of Atlanta are as enamored of Vick as it seems, regardless of his QBing skills (or LACK-of-same..... ), nobody will survive:
Jim Mora's father had it coorect.
:wink02:

Atlanta Dan
01-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Trust me on this - not everyone in Atlanta is thrilled with Vick, but the owner is and that is what counts.

clevestinks
01-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Still waiting for the Rooneys and Cowher meeting to end. i`m glad the Rooneys want the answer today, cause i do also.

83-Steelers-43
01-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Still waiting for the Rooneys and Cowher meeting to end. i`m glad the Rooneys want the answer today, cause i do also.

Maybe the Rooney's got one, but we won't be getting the answer today..........

Post #155 in this thread.

clevestinks
01-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Maybe the Rooney's got one, but we won't be getting the answer today..........

I think that we will, if not tonite, no later than tomorrow morning. They want all candidates to know that we are looking before they give in to others jobs.

83-Steelers-43
01-02-2007, 02:44 PM
I think that we will, if not tonite, no later than tomorrow morning. They want all candidates to know that we are looking before they give in to others jobs.

He left or is leaving for North Carolina after spending 45 minutes down at the South Side facility this morning. A reporter from WTAE went up to him and asked if he made a decision and Cowher stated that he has not. The reporter went on to state that we probably won't know until this week is over. If your expecting today, I wouldn't hold my breath.....

Elvis
01-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Rex Ryan should be the replacement for Cowher if he leaves... he would be a perfect fit for our style of football dont ya think?...:wave:

Big D
01-02-2007, 03:02 PM
john clayton just on espn. Said there is still no word. And they expect cowher wont be back

StillerPaul
01-02-2007, 03:05 PM
the suspense is killing me !

83-Steelers-43
01-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Rooneys to meet with Cowher on Tuesday
ESPN.com news services

Will Bill Cowher coach the Steelers in 2007? The answer might come Tuesday.

A Pittsburgh Steelers source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that team chairman Dan Rooney and team president Art Rooney II will meet with Cowher and are expected to push Cowher to make a decision Tuesday on whether he will resign after 15 seasons as head coach.

Cowher had hoped to take up to a week from the end of the season before making a decision.

The team source told Mortensen that the Rooneys believe Cowher likely is going to walk away and want to start the process of finding a new coach, in part because their in-house potential replacements, offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and assistant head coach/offensive line Russ Grimm, are potential head coaching candidates for other NFL teams.

The 49-year-old Cowher, whose tenure with the same team is the longest of any current NFL coach, began weighing retirement shortly after the Steelers won the Super Bowl in February. He is signed through 2007 but, for the first time since being hired in January 1992, could not work out an extension.

Cowher has said several times recently he is not burned out, and there is no indication he would retire if he quits now -- the Steelers themselves anticipate he would be back on an NFL sideline as early as 2008.

Cowher's decision appears tied to family and money. He would like to spend more time at home since his youngest daughter, Lindsay, has only 2? years of high school remaining. His two oldest daughters, Meagan and Laura, attend Princeton.

The problem: Cowher's wife, Kaye, and Lindsay are now living in a new home in Raleigh, N.C., where Cowher attended North Carolina State and the family has many friends. But the Steelers aren't interested in having Cowher significantly reduce his presence in Pittsburgh by constantly shuttling back and forth to North Carolina, where he also owns a summer home.

Another problem: Cowher, for the first time, seems focused on being one of the NFL's highest-paid coaches in his next contract.

Cowher made about $4 million this season, or about half of what Seattle coach Mike Holmgren is making. The Steelers are giving no indication they are willing to pay any coach $8 million a year.

However, there seems little doubt Cowher could make that kind of money should he retire, work next season as an NFL analyst for a TV network, then sign with another team in 2008 or 2009 after all of his daughters have left home.

NFL Insider Chris Mortensen appears on Sunday NFL Countdown, Monday Night Countdown and SportsCenter. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2717313

83-Steelers-43
01-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Tick-tock Tick-tock.........

Hopefully an answer is given at some point this week.

kysteelerman
01-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Hell no.. let him goooooo....
he had his run, he is done. let someone else take us to the superbowl
he has lost his fire..
he has not spit on anybody this year!!!!

klick81
01-02-2007, 03:51 PM
This better not become one of those Brett Favre situations.

tony hipchest
01-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Tick-tock Tick-tock.........

Hopefully an answer is given at some point this week.is it possible he just wants them to fire him. i thought i heard on espn that he will be doing some studio work this weekend for the wild card games.

just for shits and grins... what do you think he would do if he did come back for 1 year and whiz was gone. would bruce arians be the natural successor for o coord? whipple? who is the te coach?

Atlanta Dan
01-02-2007, 04:04 PM
I think we will have a resignation by Thursday - forcing the Rooneys to fire him and then getting a big raise to go somewhere else next year would make this about nothing other than $$$ and I do not think Cowher wants to dynamite his legacy by going out like that

83-Steelers-43
01-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Does Cowher really want to go out like that though?

warren_williams: Any chance that Cowher postpones making his decision about his future to force the Rooneys to fire him? That would make him immediately available to other teams without compensation.

Ed Bouchette: That's a good point. He could do that, tell them he wants to return to fulfill the final year of his contract but no more. It would force their hand. However, I do not think he wants to go out that way.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07002/750693-66.stm

83-Steelers-43
01-02-2007, 04:11 PM
forcing the Rooneys to fire him and then getting a big raise to go somewhere else next year would make this about nothing other than $$$ and I do not think Cowher wants to dynamite his legacy by going out like that

Making that move on the ownership group that decided to keep you around when other teams would have probably fired you? I say that would be a pretty dick move on his part. I agree, I don't see it happening.

tony hipchest
01-02-2007, 04:11 PM
I think we will have a resignation by Thursday - forcing the Rooneys to fire him and then getting a big raise to go somewhere else next year would make this about nothing other than $$$ and I do not think Cowher wants to dynamite his legacy by going out like thatyeah, i gotta believe the same. there seems to be to much mutual admiration for this to end on a sour note. i hope so. he will definitely do good in a studio show and i bet that washington job is looking really good to him after about a year. i bet d. snyder would even fork out the cash for j. porter after next season.

clevestinks
01-02-2007, 04:34 PM
He left or is leaving for North Carolina after spending 45 minutes down at the South Side facility this morning. A reporter from WTAE went up to him and asked if he made a decision and Cowher stated that he has not. The reporter went on to state that we probably won't know until this week is over. If your expecting today, I wouldn't hold my breath.....

Clayton said at around 3:30 pm that Cowher was meeting with the Rooneys then!

tony hipchest
01-02-2007, 05:08 PM
espn showed footage of cowher leaving the facility today in his silver hyundai (ok, maybe it was a honda).

see ya bill. theres more money off in the horizon. who knows. i bet you can even earn nick saban money elsewhere.

Big D
01-02-2007, 05:13 PM
They need a decsion by the end of the week in order to interview canidates that are currently coaching in the playoffs. I would be really pissed off if he retires two weeks from now when Grimm and whisenhunt are gone.

Atlanta Dan
01-02-2007, 05:21 PM
I know I think Cowher has handled this poorly, but the national media apparently disagrees. Here is a quote from Peter King's online column today - after King castigates Nick Saban for being a bald faced liar for previously denying he had any interest in the Alabama job, this statement has to be referring to Cowher:

I've got an idea for future conversations with coaches as the end of the season approaches. It comes from a talk I had last week with a current NFL head coach who I thought might be interested in moving on at the end of the year. I asked this coach if he could tell me categorically if he was bound to his team next year, or whether he might try to move to another team or get out of the game for a year or two.

Deep Coach answered the question the way I wish all of them would.

"Sorry I can't help you,'' he said. "I just don't talk about my contract. Ever.''

Great! Don't lie, don't tell. That should be the policy of every coach.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/01/02/saban/index.html

So I guess we should be glad the Steelers are not coached by Saban or Parcells (who negotiated his departure to the Jets during Super Bowl week while coaching the Pats and I recall did not even join his team on the return flight to New England after the game).

tony hipchest
01-02-2007, 05:36 PM
So I guess we should be glad the Steelers are not coached by Saban or Parcells (who negotiated his departure to the Jets during Super Bowl week while coaching the Pats and I recall did not even join his team on the return flight to New England after the game).the guys on pti said cowher has earned the right to mull it over for a week and that the rooneys should grant him this time.

cowher has always been the "good guy" coach and the rooneys have always been viewed as the "good guy owners". unfortunately the rooneys have always had that unfair stigma attached to them of not wanting to pay ($$$).

despite the steelers poor performance this year i gotta say bill comes out of the whole ordeal looking pretty rosy. with him auditionning for his new studio/media job as soon as this weekend i can almost guarantee it.

clevestinks
01-02-2007, 05:38 PM
I disagree with mulling it over!!!!!!!!!! He knows what he wants, either way just do it!

Atlanta Dan
01-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Here is the latest story/rumor

Rooneys give Cowher a week to make decision

Steelers chairman Dan Rooney and team president Art Rooney II met Tuesday with Bill Cowher and asked Cowher to make an immediate decision on whether he will resign after 15 seasons as head coach of the Steelers. Cowher had hoped to take up to a week from the end of the season before making a decision.

However, indications after the meeting are that Cowher has been given until the beginning of next week to make his decision. Cowher is expected to work as a television analyst this Saturday for NBC Sports.

A team source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the Rooneys believe Cowher likely is going to walk away, and therefore they want to start the process of finding a new coach, in part because their in-house potential replacements, offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and assistant head coach/offensive line Russ Grimm, are potential head coaching candidates for other NFL teams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2717313

klick81
01-02-2007, 06:52 PM
I hope they're already looking.

redzone79
01-02-2007, 07:29 PM
I read also that the Rooney's met with Cowher and asked him to make an immediate decision. I am nervous but also upset at the possibility of him leaving!
Oh, I found some video download websites but am confused on how to download the videos, please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

steelerfan5
01-02-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm new to this forum and am glad to find it. About Cowher: I really thought he would have announced his retirement by now, but since he hasn't, maybe he really is struggling with the decision. I really thought it was a done deal, but now I'm not so sure. Who knows, perhaps he is having second thoughts now that reality is setting in.

Personally, I never could figure out why his wife and daughter moved to North Carolina so soon. His daughter is in 10th grade, which seems to me to be an unusual time to move. His other two girls graduated from Fox Chapel, so why couldn't the youngest? Why move now? I really don't understand why they were in such a hurry to get down there. I mean, he always talked about wanting to stay in Pittsburgh until his youngest child graduated from high school, yet they move when she is in high school and has to leave behind her life-long friends? Where is the sense in that?

Anyway, I'm not sure why he put himself in this position, but maybe he is now regretting it. Who knows. I love Cowher and have always supported him, and it would be great if he stays, but he needs to either move his family back up here or retire. You can't have it all when your family lives 600 miles away.

Steelerfan5

tony hipchest
01-02-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm new to this forum and am glad to find it. About Cowher: I really thought he would have announced his retirement by now, but since he hasn't, maybe he really is struggling with the decision. I really thought it was a done deal, but now I'm not so sure. Who knows, perhaps he is having second thoughts now that reality is setting in.

Personally, I never could figure out why his wife and daughter moved to North Carolina so soon. His daughter is in 10th grade, which seems to me to be an unusual time to move. His other two girls graduated from Fox Chapel, so why couldn't the youngest? Why move now? I really don't understand why they were in such a hurry to get down there. I mean, he always talked about wanting to stay in Pittsburgh until his youngest child graduated from high school, yet they move when she is in high school and has to leave behind her life-long friends? Where is the sense in that?

Anyway, I'm not sure why he put himself in this position, but maybe he is now regretting it. Who knows. I love Cowher and have always supported him, and it would be great if he stays, but he needs to either move his family back up here or retire. You can't have it all when your family lives 600 miles away.

Steelerfan5welcome to the boards. you could be right. its not like cowher couldnt sell the home he bought (possibly for a nice $500,000 smart profit) and continue his coaching career with his family back in pittsburgh. if buying a house would help in contract negotiations PLUS net a nice real estate investment, i would consider it too.

Atlanta Dan
01-02-2007, 09:13 PM

Steelerfan5

Welcome to the board! - there are a number of posters here who constantly educate/entertain me.

Reading the tea leaves on Kaye and Lindsey moving while Cowher stayed in the Burgh has been a constant source of speculation here, but this is my recap.

FYI the prevailing rumor/speculation is that Cowher was going to quit after 2005 (hence the home purchase in Raleigh in the fall of 2005) and Kaye kept the bargain by moving.
As to why not wait? - Ms. Cowher has parents in NC who are not getting any younger & it is easier to adjust to a new school for a teenager the more years you are there prior to HS graduation. Other reasons Kaye may have wanted out of Pittsburgh ASAP (and to get her husband out) can be speculated upon, but not by me.

I do not think Cowher has cold feet on leaving since he wants a big raise to stay and the freedom to live in NC in the offseaon - I think he is somewhat surprised the Rooneys are saying don't let the door hit you on the way out if you think you are getting $8 million per from us to be a commuter coach.

redzone79
01-02-2007, 09:31 PM
welcome to the message board Steelerfan5. Cowher is a darn good coach with a good record with the Steelers and I think he deserves $8 million but i think the Rooney's are too cheap to part with that type of money!

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS

tony hipchest
01-02-2007, 09:35 PM
I do not think Cowher has cold feet on leaving since he wants a big raise to stay and the freedom to live in NC in the offseaon - I think he is somewhat surprised the Rooneys are saying don't let the door hit you on the way out if you think you are getting $8 million per from us to be a commuter coach.cowher was an nfl scrub coming out of college. i think he has exceeded anything he ever dreamed of, as far as his career is concerned, to this point. for him to actually retire and not make another dime is probably fine with him (a stance much easier to take 1 year removed from a SB run).

i dont think he has overestimated the rooneys willingness to cough up market price for his services. i think the ball is in his court and he can happily live with the outcome either way. more power to him.

if one thing is certain, these issues have been lingering for about a year (issues you and 83-43 have kept a finger on the pulse of), and possibly effected team performance.

a well defined sense of direction for the future will be appreciated no matter what that is.

redzone79
01-02-2007, 09:39 PM
the couple of games i have been to, he is a very hard man to find. does anyone know what he is like in and outside of work?
thanks and goodnight gotta get up early for work! :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

83-Steelers-43
01-02-2007, 09:44 PM
BTW, both FSN Pittsburgh and the PPG have shot down the ESPN story. Once again, they stated next week.

MJ5150
01-03-2007, 01:28 AM
I don't think the Rooneys are "cheap" for not paying the BIG $$$$ to a coach. I don't want owners who just sign checks left and right for whatever the player or coach wants. You don't need an $8,000,000 a year coach to win games. They know this.

Cowher will end up leaving for money reasons. I will cry like most of you. When I realize it was about the $$$ for Bill, I won't be mad or sad anymore. Then the Rooneys will find a guy we all think is a no one who will rise to the top just like Cowher has.

I just wish I was smart enough to pull a name out of the hat right now so I can come out looking like some kind of prophet five years from now. :dang:

-Mike

steelerfan5
01-03-2007, 05:13 AM
I just read this article and the Rooney's are saying the decision is not about money.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_486755.html

Looks like we have another week before we know anything for sure.

Steelerfan5

Big D
01-03-2007, 06:20 AM
I do believe it is about the money. I bet if the rooneys offered 10 million a year the extention would have been signed last summer.

Big D
01-03-2007, 06:23 AM
I don't think the Rooneys are "cheap" for not paying the BIG $$$$ to a coach. I don't want owners who just sign checks left and right for whatever the player or coach wants. You don't need an $8,000,000 a year coach to win games. They know this.

Cowher will end up leaving for money reasons. I will cry like most of you. When I realize it was about the $$$ for Bill, I won't be mad or sad anymore. Then the Rooneys will find a guy we all think is a no one who will rise to the top just like Cowher has.

I just wish I was smart enough to pull a name out of the hat right now so I can come out looking like some kind of prophet five years from now. :dang:

-Mike
I agree with this to the fullest extent. We dont want the rooneys to turn into daniel synder or jerry jones. While I do agree cowher is a hall of fame head coach, He did lose some big afc championship and playoff games while having home field advantage. We have to remeber that the nfl is a buisness and the steelers need to do what makes the most buisness sense.

83-Steelers-43
01-03-2007, 06:28 AM
Steelers await Cowher's decision
Coach goes to 'new home' to ponder future before giving his final answer
Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Bill Cowher met with Steelers president Art Rooney II yesterday morning, then drove to his new home in Raleigh, N.C., to spend at least several days before deciding if he will step down as the team's coach.

Rooney said he anticipates a verdict from Cowher in the next few days at the earliest.

"I expect to hear from him later in the week, early next week, something like that," said Rooney, who denied an ESPN.com report that he pressured Cowher to decide yesterday.

"I met with Bill this morning. We had talked last week about talking today, and then he was going to take a few days to go think about things, which is what he's going to do. So, I think he certainly deserves to take his time, get away, think hard about it. That's what he's going to do."

Rooney did not say what he believes that decision will be, but insisted he did not believe it's about money. He also said he would welcome Cowher back if he wanted to coach the final season of his contract in 2007.

"I don't think it's money," Rooney said of Cowher's possible reasons to quit at age 49 after 15 seasons as the team's coach. "Beyond that, I think really it is a question he has to answer. I could speculate, but there's no sense in me speculating. The only thing I would say is I don't think it's money.

"We haven't gotten to that part of the conversation. Now, maybe we will and maybe it will become money but at least where we are today it's really not about money. It's really about him deciding whether he wants to continue.

"Obviously, he has another year on the contract. If he wants to coach one more year he can do that, and if he wants to coach more than that we would have to work something out. He has to think about those kinds of things.

"We'd rather him do an extension, but if he came back and said, 'I'd like to take one more shot with this group of players.' I'm fine with that."

The first time Cowher told his boss that he contemplated quitting after the 2006 season was in a meeting last spring before the draft.

"He said, 'I don't know what I want to do,' " Rooney said. "I knew it wasn't business as usual then. I didn't know where it was going.

"He said he wasn't sure he wanted to do an extension because he didn't know if he would coach after this season."

Rooney was surprised when Cowher said at his weekly news conference Dec. 19 that he thought of retiring after the 2005 season, too.

"He didn't say anything to me. I was unaware of that. I didn't know he thought about retiring before this season."

Rooney said in March that the goal for the organization was to win a second Super Bowl. That makes an 8-8 record unsatisfying. But he does not blame Cowher for it, nor did he see anything that would lead him to believe his head coach might have been distracted from his job.

"I think in spite of the disappointment we had this season I certainly didn't see anything that would cause me to say, 'Well, he's lost something or he's not the same.' He's a good coach and he'll be a good coach if he coaches next year. Those kinds of things are not an issue."

Neither, apparently, was the fact that Cowher's wife and youngest daughter moved to Raleigh before the season. Rooney said the coach never asked him if he could spend more time away from the team in the offseason to be with his family in North Carolina.

"He said if he comes back, he'll be as committed as ever and I believe that," Rooney said. "We talked about whether his family situation was a distraction this year, and we both felt it wasn't.

"You look at the players and talk to the players and kind of look at the way the season went. If that were a distraction, it certainly would have been the kind of thing that would have impacted the second half of the season.

"Everything was set up for a [downward] spiral if there ever was one and we didn't have that. So in my mind and in his mind it was not a distraction. I don't think that's an issue."

With Arizona and Atlanta ready to talk to two top Steelers assistant coaches, Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm, about head coaching jobs, the Steelers can't afford to wait too long to hear from Cowher.

"I think he understands the time frame, he understands this business," Rooney said. "From my understanding in our talks, I don't think he's going to drag this out to a point where we can't deal with it, let's put it that way.

"It will be a sad day for me if he does decide to step down. I've enjoyed working with him and we've had success. Yes, it will be a sad day if he decides to step down, but the other side of it is I certainly would respect his decision and where he is in his career and his life.

"I couldn't ask for any more from him and I told him that. I think he's given us everything he's had every year and I appreciate what he's done."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07003/750842-66.stm

Big D
01-03-2007, 06:31 AM
the question now remains if we will ever see Cowhers Benz pull up to the steelers facility ever again

83-Steelers-43
01-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Nice to hear somebody in the media besides Ed Bouchette finally step up and say it instead of the "He's earned it, God can take his time, he's bigger than the franchise" B.S............

Bob Smizik: Cowher owes the Steelers a quick answer
Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

By his own words, Bill Cowher has been considering resigning as Steelers coach since, at the latest, some point in the 2005 season. It's about time he came up with a decision on his future.

In his last public statement on the matter, Cowher said Sunday he needed time away from the emotional season-ending victory against the Cincinnati Bengals to reflect on his decision, which was understandable. On Monday and early yesterday, Cowher finished his exit interviews with the players. Presumably, he did those without the emotion of the final game clouding his thinking. Which means, by now, probably at home in North Carolina, his mind should be clear. He should have an answer.

Cowher originally had suggested he might take weeks after the season to come to a decision. That timeline was outrageous and he later amended it and indicated the process would be done in a more timely fashion. He owes it to the Steelers to provide that answer by the end of this week. That's more than fair. That's not asking too much.

If he has been thinking about this for more than a year and if he were leaning in one direction, as he said Sunday, five days after the game is more than enough time to come to a decision.

If Cowher is resigning, and there's a large body of evidence to indicate that after 15 seasons on the job he will, the Steelers need to get busy in finding his successor. That's not to suggest anything about the search process should be rushed. That would be the worst possible strategy. At the same time, the process should be accomplished as quickly as possible for two reasons.

The sooner a new coach comes aboard, the sooner the franchise returns to normal. The new coach can begin the process of hiring a staff, implementing his program and becoming involved with his role in the draft and offseason conditioning. If a coach from outside the organization is hired, it's even more important that it be done with deliberate speed.

Two other teams, Arizona and Atlanta, have fired their coaches and are in the process of looking for replacements. It's possible, if not probable, that both of those teams will be looking at some of the same people as the Steelers. It's also possible that other teams will be looking for a new coach. Again, while not wanting to rush the process, the Steelers want the best man, not the best man still available.

If Cowher's decision is to resign, the interviewing process can begin next week. It's not something that can be rushed. It would require several weeks with possibly as many as 10 candidates being interviewed. Once finalists are selected, another round of interviews will be needed. Hopefully, the process can be done and a new coach hired before the Super Bowl on Feb. 4.

It will be easy enough to schedule interviews with coaches on the staff who might be candidates. Two certain ones, and the leading candidates, are assistant head coach and offensive line coach Russ Grimm and offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt. The Steelers also might interview highly respected defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, who is the only assistant coach with previous head coaching experience in the NFL.

It is an NFL rule that at least one minority candidate be interviewed. Considering there are so many highly qualified such candidates, this is not a formality but a necessary step in securing the best possible man. When Cowher was hired in 1992, Joe Greene was one of the finalists. Ron Rivera, the defensive coordinator of the Chicago Bears, and Mike Singletary, the Hall of Fame linebacker who is the assistant head coach of the San Francisco 49ers, are two minority candidates worthy of a look.

There is a plethora of college coaches who might be interested but it's not likely the Rooney family will move in that direction. If they do, Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz might be one. Ferentz, a graduate of Upper St. Clair High School, spent six years in the NFL as an assistant coach.

Dozens of names will be floated in the days to come. Some are familiar, like Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt. Some are unknowns. Lack of public reputation should not be considered a drawback. There are many excellent and unknown assistant coaches in the NFL. Whisenhunt, for example, is well known in this region, but when he was a candidate for the Oakland job last season, he was probably unknown to most fans in the Bay area.

Grimm and Whisenhunt, because of their credentials and because of the continuity they would provide, are the leading candidates. But there's a wide swath of unknowns and barely knowns who also will be considered.

The whole process is ready to roll. All that's lacking is a decision from Cowher.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07003/750841-194.stm

83-Steelers-43
01-03-2007, 09:05 AM
"Dozens of names will be floated in the days to come."

Example:

Mark Curnette of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports Marvin Lewis could be a candidate to fill the Steelers' expected head-coaching vacancy.

Most agree that Bill Cowher will hang 'em up. The Lewis idea is interesting because he's a Pittsburgh native, currently heads the ultimate division rival, and coached the Steelers' linebackers from 1992-1995. Dec. 30 - 10:39 am et
Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061230/SPT02/612300330/1066

Big D
01-03-2007, 09:17 AM
"Dozens of names will be floated in the days to come."

Example:

Mark Curnette of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports Marvin Lewis could be a candidate to fill the Steelers' expected head-coaching vacancy.

Most agree that Bill Cowher will hang 'em up. The Lewis idea is interesting because he's a Pittsburgh native, currently heads the ultimate division rival, and coached the Steelers' linebackers from 1992-1995. Dec. 30 - 10:39 am et
Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061230/SPT02/612300330/1066

I posted that in here last week. It's interesting. But the bungles wouldnt let him walk. And with his reputation of drafting thugs I wouldnt want him..... But bill should have made his decision to retire no later then yesterday. He could really be sticking his knife in the steelers back if he waits a couple weeks and good canidates are hired away. (Including whisenhunt who I think will go to atlanta)

ChronoCross
01-03-2007, 09:18 AM
I have only seen a few people (fans mainly) saying Cowher will not retire on a season like this and take us into next year and retire after next season. But I think like 95% around the world thinks Cowher is stepping down. If he does not step down everyone will probably be like wow we were wrong. It would be nice if he would stay one more year. I personally would not want to go out like this in the season we had. I would hope he comes back to led us to the SB next season.

Big D
01-03-2007, 09:25 AM
ed b was just on collin cowherd. Said he expects a decision monday and the decision will be he will retire.

tony hipchest
01-03-2007, 10:01 AM
upon further review i noticed cowher drives a mercedes, not a hyundai. i'd hate to see him like jeff van gundy cruising around in an 84 corrolla or something.

Big D
01-03-2007, 10:05 AM
upon further review i noticed cowher drives a mercedes, not a hyundai. i'd hate to see him like jeff van gundy cruising around in an 84 corrolla or something.

thats what he rolls in around the ranch tony.

Big D
01-03-2007, 10:32 AM
One NFL source said the Steelers are leaning toward hiring Russ Grimm if Bill Cowher does leave. -- East Valley Tribune

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2007, 10:39 AM
ed b was just on collin cowherd. Said he expects a decision monday and the decision will be he will retire.

Cowher not doing yesterday what is going to be done next week deprives the Steelers of the opportunity to interview Coleman in San Diego and Rivera in Chicago until their teams are eliminated while leaving Grimm and Whiz to start looking elsewhere.

Pittsburgh is an attractive job but I think Whiz will be getting a big offer from Blank after a pro forma interview of a minority candidate is conducted to comply with the Rooney rule- I do not know if Blank will leave that open while Whiz waits to see what the Rooneys may be offering. The Steelers job may go to Grimm almost by default; I do not believe Grimm is what Miami is looking for and teh Steelers job is far better than the Arizona opening.

Cowher continues to botch up his exit strategy.

Big D
01-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Cowher not doing yesterday what is going to be done next week deprives the Steelers of the opportunity to interview Coleman in San Diego and Rivera in Chicago until their teams are eliminated while leaving Grimm and Whiz to start looking elsewhere.

Pittsburgh is an attractive job but I think Whiz will be getting a big offer from Blank after a pro forma interview of a minority candidate is conducted to comply with the Rooney rule- I do not know if Blank will leave that open while Whiz waits to see what the Rooneys may be offering. The Steelers job may go to Grimm almost by default; I do not believe Grimm is what Miami is looking for and teh Steelers job is far better than the Arizona opening.

Cowher continues to botch up his exit strategy.

I question ron rivera has our head coach. I was reading an article about him last year. I guess he blew all of his interviews.

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2007, 10:50 AM
I question ron rivera has our head coach. I was reading an article about him last year. I guess he blew all of his interviews.

Rivera has dropped off the radar screen - since I fatalistically think this hire will not be around very long Steelers probably will play it safe and promote from within.

Big D
01-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Rivera has dropped off the radar screen - since I fatalistically think this hire will not be around very long Steelers probably will play it safe and promote from within.

I wouldnt have a problem with Grimm. But I would be disapointed if Whisenhunt got the job

tony hipchest
01-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Rivera has dropped off the radar screen - since I fatalistically think this hire will not be around very long Steelers probably will play it safe and promote from within.like i said earlier, rivera has made the very best of playing in a weak conference. lebeaus winning % the last 3 years vs the nfc is better.

is it safe to assume that if cowher does return for a year kevin spencer will be fired in the same press conference. im still wondering what cowher is waiting for. i brought this up several weeks ago. does cowhers decision have ANYTHING to do with what his assistants decide?

hear me out on this. say whiz is the rooneys #1 choice. but say Atlanta is whiz's #1 choice. could cowher be waiting to see what Whiz is offered or will do? maybe cowher would forgo an early retirement to not put the rooneys in a predicament a year early.

do the rooneys really want to be forced into chasing after someone like ferentz only to be burnt 2 years later (a la saban). knowing how loyal the rooneys are, i wouldnt want to touch anyone from the belichick/parcells coaching tree with a 10 foot pole. jets, miami (tbd), and the patriots have all been burnt in the past.

maybe the rooneys dont want to have their hand forced by the rooney rule, if they feel there is no better candidate available this year who is better than whiz or cowher.

again, could this whole wait and see aproach hinge soley on what whiz is offered and decides to do?

edit: just saw saban pulled the burn job on miami. i wonder how long until mangini does the jets? over/under 3 years?

83-Steelers-43
01-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Steelers 'very much would like' Cowher back

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 3, 2007

The Steelers want coach Bill Cowher back for a 16th season -- and even more if he's willing -- but they say it's up to him.

Team President Art Rooney II told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he and Chairman Dan Rooney met separately with Cowher on Tuesday and left it to him to decide his coaching future. The Steelers believe Cowher will make a decision within a week, possibly as soon as Friday.

"I told him we'd like to see him come back. We very much would like to have him back," Art Rooney II said.

Cowher has one year remaining on his contract, but is considering retiring. Rooney said Cowher was given the option of coaching the final year of his contract without signing an extension.

Until this season, when contract talks ceased in August, Cowher always has signed an extension when he had two years left on his contract.

"That's an option," Rooney said. "I said to him, if he just wants to come back and finish the contract, that's fine. We feel like we have a good core group of players here that could make another run at a championship.

"And if he wants to come back and take another run at it with this group of players, that's on the table, too. We didn't really put any restrictions on his decision."

Cowher was scheduled to leave yesterday for Raleigh, N.C., where his wife and youngest daughter have been living.

Rooney said both sides agreed late in the season that Cowher would be given time to consider his options.

"Our plan all along was that he would take a few days to kind of get away and think about what he wants to do," Rooney said.

"We had agreed on sort of a time frame, I would say about a week ago, that he needed some time. And we respect that."

When asked if Cowher could make a decision by the end of the week, Rooney said, "It's possible.

"Let's put it this way. Within a week -- within the next seven or eight days -- I think we'll hear something back."

Rooney said money wasn't discussed at yesterday's meeting, which lasted about an hour. Cowher is believed to be making between $4 million and $5 million a year.

"Some have tried to say it's about money, it's all about money. We really haven't gotten to that point of the conversation," Rooney said. "The decision at this point is more Bill making a decision to whether he wants to coach or not. If he says, 'Hey, I want to come back and coach,' then we get back into a decision about money and contracts.

"I still feel comfortable that we'll work out the money if we get to that point. We've always been able to do that. My own feeling is that's not an issue. Some of the things I've read are not accurate in terms of what other people are making and what Bill has made.

"Bottom line is, I think Bill has been one of the highest-paid coaches in the league for the last several years when you count bonuses and everything else in his package.

"And I would think Bill feels the same way -- that he hasn't been treated unfairly in that regard. I would say he feels like if we get to that contract discussion, he's going to be treated fairly again."

Cowher was not available for comment. A spokesperson for Octagon, the company representing Cowher, declined comment on the meeting.

Rooney left the meeting realizing that Sunday's 23-17 overtime win at Cincinnati may have been Cowher's last game as coach.

"If he decides to retire, we'd certainly respect that decision," Rooney said. "My relationship with Bill has always been great. It'll be a sad day for me if he decides to retire -- let's put it that way.

"I've enjoyed working with him. We've had success. I would hate to see him go. But as I said before, I certainly respect his decision in terms of where he is in his life.

"Coaching in this league for 15 years is not an easy thing to do."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_486755.html

83-Steelers-43
01-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Rooneys Meet With Cowher, Hope He Stays

POSTED: 8:01 am EST January 3, 2007
UPDATED: 8:36 am EST January 3, 2007
Email This Story | Print This Story

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers President Art Rooney II wants coach Bill Cowher to return for the 2007 season.Rooney told WTAE Channel 4's news exchange partners at the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he and Chairman Dan Rooney have met separately with Cowher, and they think he'll probably make a decision about his future within a week.

Art Rooney said the team didn't discuss money with Cowher. Instead, he said the conversation dealt with whether Cowher wanted to retire or continue coaching.If Cowher wants to return, Art Rooney said he's confident they can agree on financial terms.

Currently, Cowher is believed to be making between $4 million and $5 million a year.Cowher has one year remaining on his current contract. Throughout the 2006 season, when asked if he would work that final year, he declined to commit either way.

Cowher was scheduled to spend a few days in Raleigh, N.C., where his wife and youngest daughter have been living in the family's new house.As he walked to his car outside the Steelers' South Side headquarters Tuesday, Cowher told Channel 4 Action News that he needs a little more time to make his decision.

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2007, 03:05 PM
This sounds like Rooney PR to me.

This is degenerating into the equivalent of who dumped whom in high school, which is the sort of blame shifting through the media we laugh about when it happens to other teams. Not a good showing in the first big ownership decision in which AJR II has played a major role.

clevestinks
01-03-2007, 03:13 PM
I say One more year Cowher, let the media and everyone in the NFL world know that this will be your final year with your Beloved Steelers. Finish out your contract, everyone will go out and win one for the chin.

If Whisehunt is the next in line, then let Grimm go, and groom Wiz as the Asst Head Coach.

If Grimm is the choice, let him know, and ask him to stay until the season is over.'

If neither are the choice, then dont worry about it

augustashark
01-03-2007, 03:40 PM
This sounds like Rooney PR to me.

This is degenerating into the equivalent of who dumped whom in high school, which is the sort of blame shifting through the media we laugh about when it happens to other teams. Not a good showing in the first big ownership decision in which AJR II has played a major role.

What are you talking about? Blame!, there is no blame, it's either he stays or goes. I do agree however with the AJR comment, not that this is a poor showing, but that we all as fans need to realize that the old Rooney way may change a bit. Remember Cowher always talking about handing that trophy to Dan.....Well maybe he's not a big fan of Art II. Who knows. We have seen how sons can destroy a franchise. Pssst Cincinnati! I know that will not happen, but changes are coming.

I.C. Lights
01-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Change can be a good thing, and I agree that Art II is not the kind of son who will destroy the franchise. His life is steeped in Steelers lore, he is a true Pittsburgher, he is highly educated and, most of all, a decent guy just like his father. I have confidence that he will choose a fine successor, even if it means changing up the game plan a little.

stillers4me
01-04-2007, 05:47 AM
I think Bill will be back with a nice fat raise. The whole thing just smells funny to me.

If he really wanted to "retire", he would already have come to that decision. Look at Bettis.....he wasted no time after the SuperBowl to make the announcement. He knew all along, win or lose that he was leaving. You don't make a life altering choice in a couple of days. If Bill really wanted to retire, he would have made the announcement right after the game or first thing Monday morning.

He doesn't want to retire. I think the man has domestic problems he is taking care of this week. I would not be surprised to see the Chin back in Pittsburgh full time and a quiet divorce slip through in the coming months. (I don't want to see anybody go through that but I think the man has "wimin" problems and that why he appeared out of sinc all season). Expect a more focused coach next season as the Chin returns. JMO. But I've been wrong once or twice before.........:hunch:

83-Steelers-43
01-04-2007, 06:25 AM
Cowher to Dolphins not entirely improbable
Thursday, January 04, 2007

Would the Miami Dolphins make a run at hiring Bill Cowher as their next head coach?

It might not be far-fetched.

If Cowher resigns as Steelers coach in the next several days, as expected, they would own his coaching rights through the end of his contract, which has one more year to run. After that, he would be free to coach elsewhere.

However, if another team wants to hire Cowher for next season -- and if he were willing to do so -- the Steelers would have to grant them permission to do so, thus releasing Cowher from his last year of obligation with them. NFL teams have done that in the past and received ample compensation in return -- draft picks and even cash on top of it.

The Miami situation becomes even more intriguing because the Dolphins' offensive and defensive coordinators worked the same jobs under Cowher with the Steelers -- Mike Mularkey on offense and Dom Capers on defense (although Capers does not hold the official title in Miami).

Plus, Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga has deep pockets and might be willing to make Cowher the highest-paid coach in the league. Nick Saban, who resigned as Dolphins coach yesterday, made a reported $4.5 million annually, which might have put him slightly ahead of what Cowher received from the Steelers last year.

"There's only one thing I want to do, is win," Huizenga said at a news conference yesterday. "I don't care what it takes, what it costs, or what's involved. We're going to make this a winning franchise. It's no fun owning a team if you're not winning, I can tell you that."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07004/751175-66.stm

83-Steelers-43
01-04-2007, 06:31 AM
Steelers expect Cowher decision by early next week

By The Associated Press
Thursday, January 4, 2007

Bill Cowher was back in his new North Carolina home on Wednesday, weighing whether to resign as the Pittsburgh Steelers' coach, return for one more season or negotiate a contract extension.

The Steelers are giving Cowher until early next week to make up his mind ? possibly because he likely would have resigned if he had been pressured to make a call this week. Several players who met privately with Cowher said it was obvious he was leaning toward quitting.

The 49-year-old Cowher also met with team chairman Dan Rooney and his son, team president Art Rooney II, before leaving for a postseason vacation in Raleigh, but he did not speak with reporters. Cowher may work this weekend as an analyst for NBC's wild card playoff coverage.

Cowher, who has led the Steelers to the NFL playoffs 10 times in his 15 seasons as their coach, never seriously considered stepping aside until the Steelers finally won the Super Bowl last season. Before that, he said he was driven to fill "the void" in his career ? the lack of an NFL title.

Cowher's agent and the team held preliminary talks last summer about extending his contract, which runs through 2007, but the two sides were never close to an agreement.

Because of Cowher's popularity with his players and his success, the Steelers are giving him more time to make up his mind than many teams would.

They also are agreeable to Cowher returning this year without a contract extension, if he were to decide he wants to keep coaching for at least one more season, or to discussing a multiple-year extension.

"He knows he's wanted and we love having him as our coach," guard Alan Faneca said.

If Cowher leaves, it would probably be to spend more time with his family, which relocated to Raleigh last summer. His youngest daughter, Lindsay, is a high school sophomore who wanted to play basketball in North Carolina this season. Her two older sisters, Meagan and Lauren, currently play at Princeton.

While this was the first season Cowher spent away from his family, he said it was not a distraction ? possibly because the time demands on NFL coaches are so great, they have little free time during a season. He did make brief trips to North Carolina during the team's bye week and the two weekends after the Steelers played Thursday night games.

Cowher might decide he wants to leave the NFL for a year or two, possibly working as an NFL analyst, until his youngest daughter graduates high school. He could then return to the NFL as a coach, almost certainly with a contract comparable to the league's highest-paid coaches.

In its recent survey of NFL coaching salaries, Forbes magazine chose Cowher as the league's biggest bargain ? his $4 million-plus salary is about half that of Seattle coach Mike Holmgren.

However, the Steelers president doesn't think money is a hang-up with Cowher since last year's contract talks did not advance far enough for a salary to be negotiated.

If Cowher leaves, the Steelers have two strong in-house candidates to replace him in offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and assistant head coach Russ Grimm, both of whom will interview with other teams in the next few days. The Steelers also would talk to candidates outside the organization.

Whisenhunt is scheduled to interview Thursday with the Atlanta Falcons and this weekend with the Arizona Cardinals, while Grimm has a Monday interview with the Cardinals. Both have been finalists before for NFL head coaching positions, and Whisenhunt apparently could have had the Oakland job last year if he had wanted it.

Numerous Pittsburgh players said this week they would prefer if one of the two were chosen, rather than a coach from outside the organization who would install a new system.

"Both could be head coaches for some team next year, and I definitely would like it to be here," Faneca said.

Defensive back Ryan Clark said it's obvious what kind of coach wouldn't fit in with the Steelers, who are 34-14 over the last three seasons despite going 8-8 and missing the playoffs this season.

"Tom Coughlin can't coach us," Clark said, referring to the Giants coach and noted disciplinarian. "A guy like that, it's not going to work."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_486917.html

stillers4me
01-04-2007, 06:35 AM
I would rather see Bill sipping gin and tonics in NC than have looking at us from across the field.

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2007, 07:17 AM
Change can be a good thing, and I agree that Art II is not the kind of son who will destroy the franchise. His life is steeped in Steelers lore, he is a true Pittsburgher, he is highly educated and, most of all, a decent guy just like his father. I have confidence that he will choose a fine successor, even if it means changing up the game plan a little.

I am not trashing AJR II but there is no management gene that runs in families. Just because Art Sr. and Dan Rooney were good owners is no guarantee AJR II will be.

The stories of businesses that collapsed because the company continued to be run by the same family for several generations could fill a library. If Cowher wanted out there was nothing AJR II can do about it, but going to local media and not only saying the Steelers would like Cowher to stay (no kidding) but that the $$$ are not a deal breaker (really? - so if he insists on $8 million per the Rooneys will pay that?) did not seem to me to be a savvy move.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-04-2007, 07:25 AM
The longer this gets drawn out..the more I begin to suspect that they may be working on a contract with one of the assistant coaches......and when we word of Bills retirement it will be with the news that ???? has been named promoted to head coach and has signed a 4 year contract worth ??????????.

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2007, 08:25 AM
The longer this gets drawn out..the more I begin to suspect that they may be working on a contract with one of the assistant coaches......and when we word of Bills retirement it will be with the news that ???? has been named promoted to head coach and has signed a 4 year contract worth ??????????.

Even if it is a sham, the Rooney Rule requires the Steelers to interview a minority candidate prior to hiring a HC. Dan Rooney can thank himself for that requirement.

Unless Darren Perry is going to be the new HC no hiring decision can be announced until that Rooney Rule interview is conducted.

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Cowher's decision to come Monday, sources say

Bill Cowher will return to Pittsburgh and make an announcement about his future Monday, at which time he is expected to retire as coach of the Steelers, sources with knowledge of the situation have told the Post-Gazette.

No press conference has been scheduled by the Steelers, but Cowher has told several people he will come back from Raleigh, N.C. and announce his decision Monday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07004/751251-100.stm

Does not sound like he is deep into contract renegotiations.

Ed.B. had another speculative piece on Cowher going to the Dolphins in 2007 - since he will be coming back to coaching at some point soon, at least that scenario would get something for the Steelers out of the deal.

The Miami situation becomes even more intriguing because the Dolphins' offensive and defensive coordinators worked the same jobs under Cowher with the Steelers -- Mike Mularkey on offense and Dom Capers on defense (although Capers does not hold the official title in Miami).

Plus, Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga has deep pockets and might be willing to make Cowher the highest-paid coach in the league. Nick Saban, who resigned as Dolphins coach yesterday, made a reported $4.5 million annually, which might have put him slightly ahead of what Cowher received from the Steelers last year.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07004/751175-66.stm

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2007, 12:09 PM
In accordance with Ed.B.'s speculative piece, this from the Miami Herald:

COWHER CONUNDRUM

The Dolphins will now start gauging their interest in candidates in earnest. The Steelers, Cowher and his agent might be among the first they contact. If Pittsburgh grants the Dolphins permission to speak with its coach, a person close to Cowher said Wednesday he would be willing to listen.

Although Cowher has a year remaining on his contract and is said to be on a family retreat in North Carolina to mull his future in Pittsburgh, the man who guided the Steelers to two Super Bowl trips and the title last season wants to coach again.

Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey and defensive coordinator Dom Capers, both former head coaches, also coached under Cowher in Pittsburgh. Capers suggested he would like to be considered for the Miami opening; Mularkey would not say. It's not known if they would stay if Cowher were hired.

There are obstacles to Cowher joining the Dolphins. He reportedly wants a contract extension in Pittsburgh that would pay in excess of $7 million annually; the Steelers offered $6 million. And the Steelers would demand draft-choice compensation in return for releasing him from his contract.

The Dolphins also would have to gauge Cowher's personal situation to see if he indeed is willing to take on a job long-term rather than for a two- to five-year spurt.

But the obstacles are not insurmountable if Cowher is receptive. Huizenga has deep pockets and said Wednesday that he badly wants his team to win.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/16378667.htm

Cowher has every right to go for all the $$$ he can get, but if he immediately goes to Miami after the Rooneys would not meet his price, I think I would not be alone in having every right to put all of the blame for this past year's contract extension standoff on Cowher. So much for wanting to spend more time with Kaye and going to the girls' basketball games.

Big D
01-04-2007, 12:15 PM
In accordance with Ed.B.'s speculative piece, this from the Miami Herald:

COWHER CONUNDRUM

The Dolphins will now start gauging their interest in candidates in earnest. The Steelers, Cowher and his agent might be among the first they contact. If Pittsburgh grants the Dolphins permission to speak with its coach, a person close to Cowher said Wednesday he would be willing to listen.

Although Cowher has a year remaining on his contract and is said to be on a family retreat in North Carolina to mull his future in Pittsburgh, the man who guided the Steelers to two Super Bowl trips and the title last season wants to coach again.

Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey and defensive coordinator Dom Capers, both former head coaches, also coached under Cowher in Pittsburgh. Capers suggested he would like to be considered for the Miami opening; Mularkey would not say. It's not known if they would stay if Cowher were hired.

There are obstacles to Cowher joining the Dolphins. He reportedly wants a contract extension in Pittsburgh that would pay in excess of $7 million annually; the Steelers offered $6 million. And the Steelers would demand draft-choice compensation in return for releasing him from his contract.

The Dolphins also would have to gauge Cowher's personal situation to see if he indeed is willing to take on a job long-term rather than for a two- to five-year spurt.

But the obstacles are not insurmountable if Cowher is receptive. Huizenga has deep pockets and said Wednesday that he badly wants his team to win.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/16378667.htm

Cowher has every right to go for all the $$$ he can get, but if he immediately goes to Miami after the Rooneys would not meet his price, I think I would not be alone in having every right to put all of the blame for this past year's contract extension standoff on Cowher. So much for wanting to spend more time with Kaye and going to the girls' basketball games.

I'll probbaly be in the minority here. But I think if we are able to get compensation for cowher I say let him go to miami. The raiders got two first rounders and two second rounders for gruden. And Cowher has way more value then gruden. So if we are able to get this years first and second round picks and 08 and 09 first and second round picks. I say that would be a great move for the future of the steelers

jbattenhouse
01-04-2007, 12:49 PM
http://postgazette.com/pg/07004/751251-100.stm

Cowher's decision to come Monday, sources say
Thursday, January 04, 2007

By Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bill Cowher will return to Pittsburgh and make an announcement about his future Monday, at which time he is expected to retire as coach of the Steelers, sources with knowledge of the situation have told the Post-Gazette.

No press conference has been scheduled by the Steelers, but Cowher has told several people he will come back from Raleigh, N.C. and announce his decision Monday.

Cowher drove to Raleigh Tuesday after meeting with team chairman Dan Rooney and president Art Rooney II. He has one year remaining on his contract, but he has told friends and associates he wants to spend more time with his family.

Meantime, offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, one of the leading candidates to replace Cowher, interviewed this morning with the Atlanta Falcons and owner Arthur Blank.

klick81
01-04-2007, 12:53 PM

Okay, is it just me, or does that sound disgusting??? I would HATE to see Cowher wearing anything other than Black & Gold.

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Okay, is it just me, or does that sound disgusting??? I would HATE to see Cowher wearing anything other than Black & Gold.

He is going to be wearing something other than B&G at some point in the next several years, which is how it goes - professionals change firms all the time. If it was just changing jobs I could see his side as well as the Rooneys side of the negotiations; increasing your payday is a big part of what drives the economy.

Disgusting would be him on the sidelines next year for another team after all the smokescreens about family values. At least the Steelers would get some compensation out of that deal, but manuevering in order to leave for more $$ with a year left on his contract would put a real stain on his legacy with the Steelers and lead to a more critical view of his tenure with more focus on such negative factors as his 1-4 record in home AFC championship games.

Maybe since Cowher has floated his interest in the Dolphins job it will delay an offer to Whiz from Atlanta until they can take a run at Cowher, which will avoid Whiz getting locked up before the Steelers can go after Whiz if that is their preference.

stlrtruck
01-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Either come back for one more year and have the emotion and piss & vinegar the fans are use to seeing or..

God Bless you in retirement. But then again with a 2.5 million dollar house, it seems that He already has!

Haiku_Dirtt
01-04-2007, 01:21 PM
:coffee: Tale of two teams. The Dolphins are renovating their revolving door. Steelers fans are waiting outside the Vatican for either black or white smoke.

Where else do you find the job security of the Pope in professional sports.

floodcitygirl
01-04-2007, 01:25 PM
:coffee: Tale of two teams. The Dolphins are renovating their revolving door. Steelers fans are waiting outside the Vatican for either black or white smoke.

Where else do you find the job security of the Pope in professional sports.Excellent! LOL

I do hope that he comes out with it Monday and get it over with. As has been posted elsewhere, best case scenario would be to announce the new coach at the same time if he is indeed moving on.

HometownGal
01-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Moved posts to Bill Cowher retirement thread.

steelerfan5
01-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Right there with you, Atlanta Dan. I can't tell you how disgusted I would be if he coaches somewhere else next year. The thought of it just burns me.

I really don't know what this dog and pony show has been about the last few days, but I'm glad it is coming to an end. Maybe next year we will have a coach that is actually focused on winnng games, not his contract and bank account. That would get us back into the playoffs next year!

Steelersfan5

memphissteelergirl
01-04-2007, 02:37 PM
:coffee: Steelers fans are waiting outside the Vatican for either black or white smoke.
Where else do you find the job security of the Pope in professional sports.

LOL...Great analogy!! :sofunny:

sumo
01-04-2007, 03:30 PM
I thought it was all about being burned out, time to move on, yada yada yad -- now the press is reporting the Chin will listen to the Dolphins because they are offering 7 million instead of 6? - so now it's a money thing? hard to believe...

Big D
01-04-2007, 03:51 PM
I thought it was all about being burned out, time to move on, yada yada yad -- now the press is reporting the Chin will listen to the Dolphins because they are offering 7 million instead of 6? - so now it's a money thing? hard to believe...

I think Cowher is sticking a fork in his own great legacy. How sad

MACH1
01-04-2007, 03:51 PM
What I dont like if he goes somewhere next year is how many players are going to want to follow him? Maybe not next year but 2008. Theres quite a few contracts that run out in 08.

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2007, 03:59 PM
What I dont like if he goes somewhere next year is how many players are going to want to follow him? Maybe not next year but 2008. Theres quite a few contracts that run out in 08.

This isn't college where recruits follow the coach - the cap keeps teams from signing up everyone and how many Steelers hung around in the mid-1990s to stay with Cowher when the Steelers would not pay up? It is all about the money.

Even if loyalty could bring in players, in terms of the key young players IMHO Ben and Cowher are not that close.

OTOH Troy is hard to read - I know Troy says he likes Pittsburgh, but as I said in another thread before the holidays, I will believe Troy stays in Pittsburgh when the new contract is done. If Cowher goes to Miami or Atlanta that will just ratchet up the potential uncertainty for me about Troy staying.