PDA

View Full Version : Was this year a failure of personnel or execution?

Mosca
12-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Do you think that the players have the talent but didn't use it, or that our guys weren't good enough?

My belief is that by and large the players are good enough, and that this year's results are a failure of execution. If we hadn't turned the ball over so often we'd be in the playoffs, plain and simple. Turnovers, and ONLY turnovers, cost us 4 games; Bengals #1, Raiders, Broncos, and Falcons.

We were flat out beaten in 3 games this year; Jags and Ravens twice.

We could have beaten the Chargers but we didn't. But we had people on the field who had no problems playing even with a team that is right now at the top of the league. Two interceptions hurt, and the secondary and the o-line stunk that game. Still, we dominated the first half.

We hold the football reasonably well and we are 11-4 and locked into a wildcard spot.

It wasn't bad coaching, it wasn't bad line play, it wasn't the secondary,it wasn't special teams, it wasn't the distraction of Cowher's contract status.

It was turnovers. It was interceptions and fumbles. And that was Roethlisberger and a bunch of other guys with bad hands.

Tom

Livinginthe past
12-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Its all in the execution, Tom.

This team isnt that far removed from the team that won it all just a year ago.

There appeared to be a definite lack of focus at the beginning of the year, and way too many disruptions.

Factor in some very poor managerial decisions - starting Ben against Oakland, keeping faith with suspect PR when the evidene is staring you in the face, keeping faith with washed up RB....

There is quite a list.

The way I see it, poor execution is alot easier remedied than a lack of talent - which is good news for Steeler fans going into next year.

NM

tony hipchest
12-27-2006, 10:53 AM
It wasn't bad coaching, it wasn't bad line play, it wasn't the secondary,it wasn't special teams, it wasn't the distraction of Cowher's contract status.

It was turnovers. It was interceptions and fumbles. And that was Roethlisberger and a bunch of other guys with bad hands.

Tomi tend to agree. the coaches put the steelers in position to win as many games as last season and we definitely have the talent. there were games where the o-line and the secondary (having a 5'10" cb plastered on a 6' 4" wr in the endzone) struggled, but it wasnt every game. and the 3 games you mentioned jax + balt X2 where the steelers were flat out outcoached. billick just guessed/predicted cowhers tendencies correctly. that can happen with familiarity with a coach.

you would think theres no way that a rookie head coach like s. peyton, or e. mangini would be able to punch their mentoring teams in the mouth but thats just what they did. they are hot now and may remain so, but i wont come quite as easy once other coaches start to figure out their tendencies.

i think it just wasnt our year (superbowl hangover after so many near misses?, bens surgeries?), and the steelers arent the only team with high expectations who fell flat. carolina and seattle have been huge disappointments and so have the bengals to a certain degree.

miami, atlanta, washington, giants, cheifs, denver, jacksonville, all have a fair amount of talent but have struggled and i feel the steelers are more talented and just struggled a bit more than these teams.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-27-2006, 10:56 AM
I agree 100%...execution is the problem with the possible exception of Wilson who is "maybe" a 3rd receiver on some teams...and I would add that some of that lack of execution occurred on the front line...and causes some of our turnovers through QB hurries.

clevestinks
12-27-2006, 11:04 AM
75% Execution
25% Personnel

I think we are missing a few pieces to the puzzle. Ike played way better last year. Ben wasn`t healthy a good part of this season. Holmes took awhile to catch on. Etc.

OneForTheToe
12-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Well to paraphrase a famous quote: I think the failure to execute some of our personnel was a mistake. :wave:

Seriously, I'd say it was more execution. Turnovers, a plenty.

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2006, 11:23 AM
It's definantly both.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Well to paraphrase a famous quote: I think the failure to execute some of our personnel was a mistake. :wave:

Seriously, I'd say it was more execution. Turnovers, a plenty.

LOL:sofunny: :sofunny:

sumo
12-27-2006, 12:22 PM
The turnovers were huge and our execution was hit and miss - especially when it came to the Offensive line and Willie ...of course there is always room for improvement when it comes to the draft, free agaency, etc - but we definetly had the horses to get it done this year - we just made too many mistakes...

Stlrs4Life
12-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Execution and turnovers killed us, we could never rebound from it.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Well execution was the major factor. Look at all the turnovers. But I also think the decline of the Oline's play especially the games were the Oline got manhandled was a factor also.

Preacher
12-27-2006, 03:57 PM
I would have to say a combination. Of course, execution when it comes to Ben and all the health issues with him this year.

However, I agree the Oline and DB's had a LOT to do with it, as well as ST early in the year. However, it looks as if ST straightened themselves out for the most part.