PDA

View Full Version : Painted Turf

noto45
12-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Lets assume that we install field turf. I was wondering if we can paint the logo at mid field and the endzones like we used to in Three Rivers. I know Pitt plays there but cant they change that out for them when they play??? I miss the painted endzones!!! BRING Back the gold end zones!

Borski
12-28-2006, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure if they can do this, but it would be cool to have a center field logo/endzones for both teams and they just rolled one up and installed the other depending who is playing

noto45
12-28-2006, 04:10 PM
I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!

Texasfan
12-28-2006, 04:22 PM
It would be nice to see a decent field for a change. I was there for the Thursday night game and the field looked like shit!

clevestinks
12-28-2006, 04:27 PM
It would be nice to see a decent field for a change. I was there for the Thursday night game and the field looked like shit!

That would be nice, the field always looks like tihs

klick81
12-28-2006, 07:47 PM
That would be cool. Even if it couldn't be changed; shouldn't the professional team logo have priority over the college team? How does this work?

steelerbackr4life
12-28-2006, 08:45 PM
I was at the same game it was pretty pathetic watching the groundskeeper spray paint the hash marks back onto the dirt at half time.

As far as changing the end zones for games it can be done they do it at the meadowlands most times twice a week.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I imagine it would be more of a pain changing the background for each. I was at Three Rivers for the Penn State/Pitt game the year that Pitt played their and I was thinking they're not gonna pull this when they move into Heinz Field. I just don't think they'll do painted endzones unless we have a home playoff game again.

NV STEELERS 723
12-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Is it the weather in PA that makes the field at Heinz suck? If its the climate then I don't know what good paint is gonna do if Willie can't cut back for 80 yards....???????

I haven't been back East since 95...

steelerbackr4life
12-28-2006, 09:45 PM
There are a number of conditions that contribute to the deteriating circumstances of the field. I think the number 1 factor has to be the amount of use it gets besides the Steelers and Upitt I also think that there are High School games played there.

I dont think the climate effects it as much as one would think. The field is actually climate controlled with an underground piping system that is supposed to stimulate growth of the turf in even the harhest of climates.

So assuming all of the groundskeeping staff and the climate control is functioning properly. The main factor to the fields deteriation would logicly have to be because of overusage.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2006, 11:44 PM
There are a number of conditions that contribute to the deteriating circumstances of the field. I think the number 1 factor has to be the amount of use it gets besides the Steelers and Upitt I also think that there are High School games played there.

I dont think the climate effects it as much as one would think. The field is actually climate controlled with an underground piping system that is supposed to stimulate growth of the turf in even the harhest of climates.

So assuming all of the groundskeeping staff and the climate control is functioning properly. The main factor to the fields deteriation would logicly have to be because of overusage.

They play the WPIAL Championships at Heinz Field.

The climate should have no effect on it. The Grass field we had at Hollidaysburg before the bozos put in the Gurf Turf was perfect. Not much use. One thing I don't get about it is why we even got it in the first place. We only had football and track meets at Tiger Stadium. We didn't need to go as far as replace our field. Yes it gets expensive to keep maintained, but we didn't need to go so far.

Bottom Line. The Rooney's are doing what is right. KEEPING HEINZ FIELD A GRASS FIELD. Football was built to be played on grass and NEEDS TO STICK TO IT'S GRASS ROOTS. We don't need the painted turf. We just needed to make sure that we watch how much the field gets used.

Preacher
12-28-2006, 11:55 PM

The climate should have no effect on it. The Grass field we had at Hollidaysburg before the bozos put in the Gurf Turf was perfect. Not much use. One thing I don't get about it is why we even got it in the first place. We only had football and track meets at Tiger Stadium. We didn't need to go as far as replace our field. Yes it gets expensive to keep maintained, but we didn't need to go so far.

Bottom Line. The Rooney's are doing what is right. KEEPING HEINZ FIELD A GRASS FIELD. Football was built to be played on grass and NEEDS TO STICK TO IT'S GRASS ROOTS. We don't need the painted turf. We just needed to make sure that we watch how much the field gets used.

YEP!

nicesteel4life
12-29-2006, 12:23 AM
GRASS! PERIOD! History of Football.... Just stop having the entire metro and tri-counties use it. There is many GREAT fields to use within 50 miles around for High School playoffs. It needs to rest between games.

Buzz05
12-29-2006, 08:24 AM
GRASS! PERIOD! History of Football.... Just stop having the entire metro and tri-counties use it. There is many GREAT fields to use within 50 miles around for High School playoffs. It needs to rest between games.

Agreed. If they wanna use a nice stadium for this stuff, what about Pine Richlands stadium. It cost a butt load to build, and I heard the Steelers modeled their own locker rooms after Pine Richlands ( Rumor, not sure if its true) but why not use that. Or what about the new Robert Morris stadium in Moon Twp. Thats pretty nice, my college played the opened game there against Bobby Mo and its a pretty nice stadium.

I agree with Steelcityman, the Hollidaysburg field was much better BEFORE they went artificial. I went to a game or 2 back in the day there and one last year to see my buddy coach a game. The natural was way better

Atlanta Dan
12-29-2006, 09:34 AM

With all due respect, after Halloween each year they are not playing on grass; they are playing on dirt except when it rains or snows, at which point they are playing in mud.

Today's artificial surfaces such as FieldTurf are far superior to the old TartanTurf/AstroTurf fields of the early 1970s and IMHO an improvement over what the Steelers currently play on. If only the Steelers played at Heinz the field might hold up, but with Pitt and the high schools using the field (which they have every right to do; the taxpayers paid to build Heinz) the grass field simply does not work.

Football used to be played on grass and dirt, but football also used to be played with leather helmets, without face masks, and with only white athletes. Times change.

clevestinks
12-29-2006, 09:45 AM
I vote for grass, I`m not worried about Pitt playing there, but all the high school games need to go to harrisburg, atleast that more central for the entire state, I never could figure out why we play in Pittsburgh anyway for the state champ

Atlanta Dan
12-29-2006, 09:50 AM
I vote for grass, I`m not worried about Pitt playing there, but all the high school games need to go to harrisburg, atleast that more central for the entire state, I never could figure out why we play in Pittsburgh anyway for the state champ

The WPIAL championships are played there, not the state championships. The 4 high school games do not help, but Pitt playing there is another big factor.

Grass fields in the Northeast simply do not hold up in late fall/early winter (there are photos of championship games at Yankee Stadium in the late 50s/early 60s where it looks like they are playing on pavement) which is why they went to artificial fields in the 1970s.

Texasfan
12-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Grass fields in the Northeast simply do not hold up in late fall/early winter (there are photos of championship games at Yankee Stadium in the late 50s/early 60s where it looks like they are playing on pavement) which is why they went to artificial fields in the 1970s.

While this might have been true in thte 60's and 70's, it shouldn't be a factor with todays technology. The field is just way over used.

Buzz05
12-29-2006, 10:29 AM

The State title games are played in Hershey, they used to be played in Altoona at Mansion Park but they moved to Hershey because it was a greater attraction. Pittsburgh just has the WPIAL Champ. I dont see teams from Central Pa playing in Beaver Stadium at Penn STate, and that is the shrine to all things football for most Pennsylvanians who are remotely close to it. All in all the field conditions need to improve some how, some way. If it means getting rid of the the WPIAL title games and moving them then so be it. If they can come up with a way to keep them and preserve the field along with Pitt still playing there. Then all the better.

clevestinks
12-29-2006, 10:56 AM
The WPIAL championships are played there, not the state championships. The 4 high school games do not help, but Pitt playing there is another big factor.

Thank You, I thought the championship games were played there now.

OneForTheToe
12-29-2006, 12:05 PM
Sorry, but I think the highschool games are proper to be played at Heinz. Taxpayer's money was used to help finace its construction. If my memory serves, the use of the field for high school playoffs was one of the promises made to convince the public to support the plan.

steelerbackr4life
12-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Good point. But when that use becomes a hazard to all that play there. Should high school teams continue to be allowed to play there when there are adequate facilities elswhere ? It as not as if the Steelers could go play at another facility.

OneForTheToe
12-29-2006, 12:25 PM
True, but I think before they kick out the highschoolers they need to explore other opitions .... like field turf. As pointed to earlier, Pitt sharing Heinz probably has a bigger impact on the field conditions than the few highschool games. The field will probably still fall apart by the end of the season. Do they then consider throwing Pitt out as well?

Honestly, spend some money before you break your promise.

BigDuke6
12-29-2006, 12:28 PM
I didnt think the turf was an issue anymore. I remember when Heinz Field opened it was brutal. But I assumed they fixed it.

steelerbackr4life
12-29-2006, 12:33 PM
It seems that artificial turf would be the only way to allow all the activities that currently take place there remain. How much money does it take to operate that huge facility for a smaller event when another would adequately suffice? In regards to this particular thread the general consensus is that everyone wants to see them play on grass. Taking that into consideration less use is the only solution.

OneForTheToe
12-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Yes, I prefer grass as well. But, from what I read, the field turf seems to be a good compromise between grass and the old fashion artificial turf. Also, does that less use include kicking out Pitt? The field is still going to fall apart with Pitt sharing the facility. How is it fair to kick the kids out , when they only play a handful of games at Heinz?

BigDuke6
12-29-2006, 03:14 PM
In addition, does anyone agree with me that those damn sterile, plastic domes (especially in Indy) do not do the game of football justice. I hate them.
I know I'm old school but football should be played on grass, in weather.

steelerbackr4life
12-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Assuming the natural turf is going to stay. We have already agreed the main factor to its deteriation is use.

In order to limit the use it would be neccesary to look at Heinz for what it is, a facility not just a field. Looking from this standpoint the Steelers and then Pitt are the priority tennants bringing in the most spectators generating the most income, demanding the need for more employees etc etc. That would leave all of the other affairs including h.s. games which generate substantially less revenue then the main 2 tennants.

I am not trying to advocate kicking the kids out but if the field is to remain grass that seems to be the only way to make it happen and keep it safe for the athletes that use it. If this is the measure that has to be taken and there are no other viable facilities then by all means the Rooneys should and probably would step up to provide such facilites for the kids. Lord knows their parents probably spend enough on NFL gear.

SteelCityMan786
12-29-2006, 03:31 PM
Agreed. If they wanna use a nice stadium for this stuff, what about Pine Richlands stadium. It cost a butt load to build, and I heard the Steelers modeled their own locker rooms after Pine Richlands ( Rumor, not sure if its true) but why not use that. Or what about the new Robert Morris stadium in Moon Twp. Thats pretty nice, my college played the opened game there against Bobby Mo and its a pretty nice stadium.

I agree with Steelcityman, the Hollidaysburg field was much better BEFORE they went artificial. I went to a game or 2 back in the day there and one last year to see my buddy coach a game. The natural was way better

Hey Buzz, is it anyone on Hollidaysburg's Staff??? Also one more thing I find dumb is why we went ahead to install the turf AT BASE FUNDING. It's going to eventually comeback to be a project the school district picks up. Also since the turf has been installed in 2004, WE HAVE NOT HAD ONE SINGLE WINNING SEASON AT HOME. Our turf also gets beaten up because of the increased events. They include HAYFA(Hollidaysburg Area Youth Football Association), a majority of the soccer games, all Jr. High Football games. We practically took the identity of Altoona(yet their surface is much worse).

Pitt should be kicked out of Heinz Field. I know this may sound biased as a Penn State fan but they only fill maybe ONE THIRD of Heinz Field. The most they get is maybe WVU?(Correct me if I'm wrong whoever is a Pitt fan here.) If Pitt wants to have a full stadium, they need to get their own on campus. The taxpayers shouldn't force the Steelers to share Heinz Field. Now if Heinz Field was going to be like a make shift field to Pitt(say some structure problems happend) then fine.

Anyway back on to Painted Turf, the Steelers don't need it as I have said. It never hurts to be different. The Rooney's know what Football was meant for. It was made for Grass. I don't care how torn up it gets, heck if they have to play in compete mud, then fine, get the jerseys dirty.

SteelCityMan786
12-29-2006, 03:33 PM
In addition, does anyone agree with me that those damn sterile, plastic domes (especially in Indy) do not do the game of football justice. I hate them.
I know I'm old school but football should be played on grass, in weather.

I hate domes to. Leave the indoor football playing to the ARENA FOOTBALL LEAGUE and the other indoor leagues of america.

MACH1
12-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Is there a heartier grass they could plant, something that roots a little deeper or something?
Painted end zones would be nice but not needed.
Feildturf wouldn't be too bad but it should be as a last resort thing, Just seems dirt is a little more forgiving than a cement or gravel floor would be.
Anyways, talking about colored turf anybody seen Boise state's blue turf??? Its different, sometimes they have problems with ducks and geese landing on it thinking its a big pond. LOL

OneForTheToe
12-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Hey steelerbackr4life, thanks for the civil debate (it's quickly becoming a lost art on the internet).

I understand your analysis from a financial standpoint. However, as I stated before, there are other considerations. First and foremost, the taxpayer money used in part to finance the stadium. Second, the public comments of Dan Rooney about the availability of the facility for those games, when the issue of using public money was still at issue.

Finally, I don't think the tradition of using the Steeler's facilities for high school games was started solely because the Steelers have the only (or best) facility available. After all, when Three Rivers was still in use many of the kids that played there probably had played on better fields in their own stadiums. In other words, it's not the fact that there is no other facility available, but that the facility of choice is the one where the beloved Steelers play.

I still believe there is a compromise …… if the Rooneys are willing to spend the money.

Yes BigDuke6, I hate those domes.

steelerbackr4life
12-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Is there a heartier grass they could plant, something that roots a little deeper or something?
Painted end zones would be nice but not needed.
Feildturf wouldn't be too bad but it should be as a last resort thing, Just seems dirt is a little more forgiving than a cement or gravel floor would be.
Anyways, talking about colored turf anybody seen Boise state's blue turf??? Its different, sometimes they have problems with ducks and geese landing on it thinking its a big pond. LOL

That would be nice if they could fix the problem sheerly through upkeep and turf product. You would also think that throwing that heating system by the wayside would be alot of money thrown away. Im assuming the placement of field turf would all but render the heating system useless.

That blue turf definitely stands out in hi def. If nothing else they certainly have brought national attention to the program there. What an ingenious marketing ploy.

As for the fowl thinking of it as a blue pond. Am I the only one that would think it funny to watch a duck or goose go full speed into the turf after a fake fish?

Borski
12-29-2006, 04:37 PM
I think the Devil Rays use field turf, after a game one time they invited all the people onto the field and it looks just like grass and feels like grass when you walk on it.

SteelCityMan786
12-29-2006, 04:40 PM
It doesn't feel as much like grass as you think it does. Indoors it's fine. Outdoors it's a killer.

Atlanta Dan
12-29-2006, 04:44 PM
I agree a dome is ridiculous for football.

The worst use of a dome is in Atlanta, which has a great climate for outdoor football. The party line for a dome in Atlanta is that it got Atlanta 2 Super Bowls, but after the ice storm the week of Titans-Rams there will never be another SB in Atlanta so that justification is toast.

Arthur Blank has some downside as a meddlesome owner, but he is pushing hard for a new stadium, which will not have a roof.

Preacher
12-29-2006, 05:32 PM
That would be nice if they could fix the problem sheerly through upkeep and turf product. You would also think that throwing that heating system by the wayside would be alot of money thrown away. Im assuming the placement of field turf would all but render the heating system useless.

That blue turf definitely stands out in hi def. If nothing else they certainly have brought national attention to the program there. What an ingenious marketing ploy.

As for the fowl thinking of it as a blue pond. Am I the only one that would think it funny to watch a duck or goose go full speed into the turf after a fake fish?

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

WHERE IS PETA WHEN YOU NEED THEM!

steelerbackr4life
12-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Hey steelerbackr4life, thanks for the civil debate (it's quickly becoming a lost art on the internet).

I understand your analysis from a financial standpoint. However, as I stated before, there are other considerations. First and foremost, the taxpayer money used in part to finance the stadium. Second, the public comments of Dan Rooney about the availability of the facility for those games, when the issue of using public money was still at issue.

Finally, I don't think the tradition of using the Steeler's facilities for high school games was started solely because the Steelers have the only (or best) facility available. After all, when Three Rivers was still in use many of the kids that played there probably had played on better fields in their own stadiums. In other words, it's not the fact that there is no other facility available, but that the facility of choice is the one where the beloved Steelers play.

I still believe there is a compromise …… if the Rooneys are willing to spend the money.

Yes BigDuke6, I hate those domes.

Civil debate on the net is a lost art form lol.

In my earlier post when I mentioned the Rooneys should step up if a different facility for the kids to play was pre determined as the only solution. I was indirectly refering to the taxpayer money that was solicited and the commitment statements made by Dan Rooney regarding the availability of Heinz for the kids.

I completely understand the rush generated by a young athlete being able to play on the same field as those he or she emulates. As a mite it was always a tremendous thrill for me every time I played at the Spectrum which was then the home for the Philadelphia Flyers. Even though the ice was crap and we had to get dressed in the visitors locker rooms. I still enjoy seeing the look on my god sons face when he takes the ice in the wachovia center playing for the same junior Flyers that I once did.

That being said regardless of the rush and or novelty a young player recieves from playing where the pros play. Any playing surface recieving too much use ruins it.

steelerbackr4life
12-29-2006, 06:53 PM

We had a neighbor petition us to have the solar cover from our pool removed after a seagull crashed into it while she was there for dinner on the patio. They since have moved :thumbsup:

MACH1
12-29-2006, 08:53 PM

:sofunny:

Throw out a few pieces of corn or grain and see what happens........................Splat

Borski
12-30-2006, 03:32 AM
how cool would it be to have a gold field with black hash marks and B&G endzones? lol

Preacher
12-30-2006, 03:40 AM
We had a neighbor petition us to have the solar cover from our pool removed after a seagull crashed into it while she was there for dinner on the patio. They since have moved :thumbsup:

:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging::bang ing::banging:

YOU...HAVE...TO...BE...KIDDING...!

It is as if people just don't have anything else to do with thier lives. Idiots.

Preacher
12-30-2006, 03:42 AM
:sofunny:

Throw out a few pieces of corn or grain and see what happens........................Splat

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere birdy birdy birdy

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere birdy birdy birdy....

Borski
12-30-2006, 03:55 AM
how cool would it be to have a gold field with black hash marks and B&G endzones? lol

http://borski88.googlepages.com/footballplaymaker.bmp

Preacher
12-30-2006, 03:58 AM
http://borski88.googlepages.com/footballplaymaker.bmp

Not bad... Not bad at all. But then the BEN-GALS would copy.. and put a putrid Orange on thier field!! That would be almost as bad as a baby blue field for the Chargers!

Borski
12-30-2006, 05:19 AM
Kinda hard to play football at a baseball only stadium though. I say move there games elsewhere.

but our field was looking kinda ruff even before the highschool games

plenewken
12-30-2006, 09:09 AM
I don't really know if field turf is necessary ... I mean, it seemed like the problem this year was that they played about 50,000 high school games in a row, and the grass never recovered after that. They just need to find some other place for the high schoolers to play. Perhaps right across the street, at the OTHER huge professional sports stadium that's not going to be in use for another 6 months or so? Hmm...

They play only 4 HS games on that field, no more, and it's been like that for many years, The field last Sunday, almost 1 month after these 4 games, looked like total crap, the worse it's ever been. By the way, its been junk all year, long before these HS kids used it.

steelerbackr4life
12-30-2006, 12:19 PM
:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging::bang ing::banging:

YOU...HAVE...TO...BE...KIDDING...!

It is as if people just don't have anything else to do with thier lives. Idiots.

I wish I was kidding Your analysis was right on the money however. She called the police and was real upset when the cop told her that he couldnt make my parents remove the cover or write a ticket out to the seagull. Then she started bothering neighbors who werent as wacked as she was and ignored her. We made a huge joke out of the whole thing we had pool parties where no one used the pool because we kept the cover on. My parents neighbor who lived directly next door bought the same type of cover for their pool. Before the end of the summer she moved out.
The ironic thing was my parents pool is heated that cover is usually only on for a week to 10 days once the pool reaches its desired temp it comes off and stays off.

Blitzburgh
12-30-2006, 10:47 PM

I couldn't disagree more .... not only is this opinion an injustice to our team that was built for speed, you're also making a flawed assumption that the Steelers can actually dictate how much the field gets used. Contractually, the Steelers hands are tied as a result of how they agreed to partner with Univ. of PIT and the city of Pittsburgh when they funded the stadium.

Therefore, the responsible thing to do is EXACTLY what the Patriots did this year when they were so fed up with trying to maintain a natural surface the past few years that they decided to resurface the stadium with FieldTurf in the middle of the regular season just 5 days before a game.

Bottom Line: Heinz Field is a freaking EMBARASSMENT and needs to be resurfaced ASAP! I went to the Bengals game in Heinz this year which was like week #4 or #5 and the field was already tore up between the 20's ..... this is inexcusable and unacceptable at this level of professional sports. Our team would purr like a Ferrari if we went to Fieldturf ... (Can you imagine Parker making cuts? ..... Santonio's quickness on turf?)

The sooner they get rid of this kitty litter pathetic excuse for a field ....for FieldTurf which has a natural look and feel and is just as safe as grass ..... the better!

plenewken
12-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Bottom Line: Heinz Field is a freaking EMBARASSMENT and needs to be resurfaced ASAP! I went to the Bengals game in Heinz this year which was like week #4 or #5 and the field was already tore up between the 20's ..... this is inexcusable and unacceptable at this level of professional sports. Our team would purr like a Ferrari if we went to Fieldturf ... (Can you imagine Parker making cuts? ..... Santonio's quickness on turf?)

The sooner they get rid of this kitty litter pathetic excuse for a field ....for FieldTurf which has a natural look and feel and is just as safe as grass ..... the better!

Absolutely! I agree 100% with you. Did you see Paul Brown's turf today? Pittsburgh has by far the worst field of our Division and not far from being the worst field in the entire NFL. By the way, I think Baltimore has the best and we should put the same at Heinz Field.

Unfortunately, the field was not the only embarassment we had to deal with this year. The team was a much bigger one.

t-sizzlez
12-31-2006, 04:42 PM
i agree with the post