PDA

View Full Version : Scouts inc. rates Asst Head Coaches in line for Head Coaching jobs

clevestinks
12-30-2006, 08:55 AM
Scouts Inc.

Every season, several assistant coaches, whether they contribute to the success of a Super Bowl contender or lift the fortunes of a particular unit, emerge as head-coaching candidates. Scouts Inc. identifies the assistants who have distinguished themselves the most this season and who will likely be setting their sights on bigger things in the offseason.

1. Rex Ryan
Defensive coordinator, Baltimore
Ryan without a doubt is the best defensive coordinator in the NFL. Every defense he has touched has turned to gold. Ryan is an aggressive coach who always keeps offenses off balance with his unique personnel groupings and multiple blitz-pressure packages. He has outstanding communication skills, relates well to players and is very approachable. Ryan has proved he has good player evaluation skills by identifying physically athletic players who best fit his aggressive schemes. On top of that, he understands how to develop team chemistry, which is so critical in building organizational team concepts in the NFL.

2. Ron Rivera
Defensive coordinator, Chicago
A former NFL player, Rivera understands his players' situations very well, is an excellent communicator and relates to the modern player. The Bears' defense has been among the very best in the league for the past couple of years and Rivera deserves much of the credit for that success. Chicago's defenders play smart, rarely make mental errors and understand their assignments and fits very well. "Tampa 2" defensive coaches are all the rage right now and Rivera understands the scheme as well as anyone. Rivera's name was tossed around for available head-coaching jobs last year and his momentum should only gain steam after another outstanding season.

Ken Whisenhunt
The Steelers' offensive struggles haven't hurt Ken Whisenhunt's stock.

3. Ken Whisenhunt
Offensive coordinator, Pittsburgh
Whisenhunt is an up-and-comer who has been instrumental in the development of QB Ben Roethlisberger. Although Whisenhunt looked like a genius a year ago, his offense -- and Roethlisberger -- were not the same in 2006. That isn't necessarily a blemish on Whisenhunt, as he is innovative and very intelligent. He is a fine communicator and a fearless play-caller. The Raiders wanted him as their head coach before they hired Art Shell and Whisenhunt wisely decided to stay with Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh, where he could become the successor.

4. Russ Grimm
Assistant head coach/offensive line, Pittsburgh

Grimm is respected by coaches and players alike because he is a tough, no-nonsense straight shooter who coaches like he played back in his days as one of the top "Hogs" in Washington. He has a great understanding of offensive line play, keeps things simple and is a fine communicator. Cowher promoted Grimm to assistant head coach this past year as a testament to his abilities. Grimm went to the University of Pittsburgh, is from the area and would be a fine candidate to succeed Cowher for the head job of the Steelers.

5. Cam Cameron
Offensive coordinator, San Diego
San Diego has the best running back and tight end on the planet, but this outstanding offense has as much to do with Cameron as the exceptional talent base. Cameron has been instrumental in the development of QB Philip Rivers and the transition to Rivers from Drew Brees, which was seamless. The Chargers may have the most-balanced offense in the league and Cameron is exceptional at keeping this group unpredictable. San Diego is an extremely difficult team to prepare for and Cameron is a huge reason why.

6. Clancy Pendergast
Defensive coordinator, Arizona
Pendergast is an up-and-coming coach who is very innovative in his game plans and designs on a weekly basis. He is an aggressive play-caller who doesn't allow the offense to dictate tempo. He understands the strengths and weaknesses of his defensive personnel and places them in the best positions to make plays. He has very good people skills, relates well to his players and is an outstanding teacher of the game.

7. Mike Tomlin
Defensive coordinator, Minnesota
In his first year in Minnesota, Tomlin seamlessly instituted a new defensive scheme (Tampa 2) with fine results. This is the scheme in vogue across the NFL right now and this bright young coordinator has quickly made a name for himself. He utilized the talent that was there for him extremely well. Minnesota's defense was extraordinary against the run, generated turnovers with regularity and made a lot of big plays. The Vikings' defense will only get better in his second season as coordinator and Tomlin's star is only getting brighter.

8. Jim Schwartz
Defensive coordinator, Tennessee
Schwartz has learned under two of the best head coaches in the NFL in Bill Belichick and Jeff Fisher. He is very detail-oriented and well-organized in his game preparation. He loves to pressure with multiple blitz packages and places a lot of pressure on opposing quarterbacks. He relates well to players and has an outstanding work ethic. He is a very smart coach who has a good understanding of the salary cap as it relates to team-building in the NFL.

9. Rob Ryan
Defensive coordinator, Oakland
Ryan has done an unbelievable job in getting his players to buy into his system. He has learned under Belichick, not to mention his father, Buddy Ryan, one of the best defensive minds in NFL history. Ryan relates extremely well to players and is an outstanding teacher of the game. He has a passion for evaluating and developing players who best fit his system. Without question, both Rob and his twin brother Rex (Baltimore) were born and groomed to become head coaches in the NFL as legacies of the founding father of the 46 defense.

10. Josh McDaniels
Offensive coordinator, New England McDaniels is another young coach who is on the fast track to becoming a head coach. Belichick has a tremendous amount of respect for McDaniels' ability to keep defenses off balance with his play-calling. He is a smart, instinctive coach who has a great understanding of the Patriots' system in drafting and developing players. McDaniels is an outstanding evaluator of talent. He has done a great job with QB Tom Brady and is very similar to Jets head coach Eric Mangini in building team chemistry as it relates best to organizational concepts.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-30-2006, 09:09 AM
I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist...but the way the whole Whisenhut/Raiders scenerio worked out..it makes one wonder if Rooney,Cowher, and Whisenhut didnt sit down at the end of last year and talk about the near future...Cowhers wishes...and Whisenhuts possibilities.

Livinginthe past
12-30-2006, 09:09 AM
McDaniels is only in his first official year as Offensive Co-ord - even though he was rumored to have been the guy in charge last year two.

He has an excellent rapport with Brady, after being his QB coach for a couple of years previously.

Can't teams find HC's somewhere else for chrissakes?

NM

Big D
12-30-2006, 09:13 AM
McDaniels is only in his first official year as Offensive Co-ord - even though he was rumored to have been the guy in charge last year two.

He has an excellent rapport with Brady, after being his QB coach for a couple of years previously.

NM

Yeah and coach mangini was in his first year as the patriots defensive coordinator. I told my buddy a huge raider fan that al davis would be nuts to not do everything he can to get mangini. I knew mangini would be a great head coach. And what does he do turn a team that was predictated to be one of the worst teams in the nfl into a playoff contender. I tink McDaniels will be another great one.

Livinginthe past
12-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Yeah and coach mangini was in his first year as the patriots defensive coordinator. I told my buddy a huge raider fan that al davis would be nuts to not do everything he can to get mangini. I knew mangini would be a great head coach. And what does he do turn a team that was predictated to be one of the worst teams in the nfl into a playoff contender. I tink McDaniels will be another great one.

The funny thing is that Mangini had a fairly mediocre reputation with Patriots fans (who have probably been spoilt by recent success) - to see him go to the hated Jets was a real kick in the teeth though.

We'll be making co-ords out of highschool students soon if this keeps up.

NM

clevestinks
12-30-2006, 09:20 AM
I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist...but the way the whole Whisenhut/Raiders scenerio worked out..it makes one wonder if Rooney,Cowher, and Whisenhut didnt sit down at the end of last year and talk about the near future...Cowhers wishes...and Whisenhuts possibilities.

I agree, but I was also thinking that maybe Whiz thought it out and figured that working for Al Davis wasnt a good idea.

Big D
12-30-2006, 09:24 AM
The funny thing is that Mangini had a fairly mediocre reputation with Patriots fans (who have probably been spoilt by recent success) - to see him go to the hated Jets was a real kick in the teeth though.

We'll be making co-ords out of highschool students soon if this keeps up.

NM

Really? I'm surprised to hear that. When I lived in boston he was spoken very highly of. And there were some fans who were in hopes he would take over for belichick

Livinginthe past
12-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Really? I'm surprised to hear that. When I lived in boston he was spoken very highly of. And there were some fans who were in hopes he would take over for belichick

Well that was the feeling I got from the biggest Patriots forum on the net, although most appreciate the job McDaniels is doing with a very average receiving corps.

The guy is still learning, it would nice if he could perfect the art of offense before being given the HC job somewhere.

NM

Big D
12-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Well that was the feeling I got from the biggest Patriots forum on the net, although most appreciate the job McDaniels is doing with a very average receiving corps.

The guy is still learning, it would nice if he could perfect the art of offense ebfore being given the HC job somewhere.

NM

I have heard that scott pioli gets alot of credit for what bill belichick does. What are your thoughts on that

Livinginthe past
12-30-2006, 10:20 AM
I have heard that scott pioli gets alot of credit for what bill belichick does. What are your thoughts on that

My thoughts are that Belichick is the primary force in the relationship and that Pioli is bright enough to give Bill the final say over alot of what happens with the personell side of the franchise.

Having said that, Belichick primarily focusses on the purely football side of things - he needs a guy like Pioli who excels at managing the logistics and the day-to-day running of the franchise.

It has long been known that both share a similar taste in players and qualities in potential Patriots - they work very well together - who is to say the next guy will?

I hope they both stay, but the Pioli to the Giants rumor is a persistent one - probably because he is from New York or somewhere close.

Ill crack open a beer as soon as I hear Casserley has taken that job!

NM

Big D
12-30-2006, 10:32 AM
My thoughts are that Belichick is the primary force in the relationship and that Pioli is bright enough to give Bill the final say over alot of what happens with the personell side of the franchise.

Having said that, Belichick primarily focusses on the purely football side of things - he needs a guy like Pioli who excels at managing the logistics and the day-to-day running of the franchise.

It has long been known that both share a similar taste in players and qualities in potential Patriots - they work very well together - who is to say the next guy will?

I hope they both stay, but the Pioli to the Giants rumor is a persistent one - probably because he is from New York or somewhere close.

NM

me too. I've always hated that Giants. I read a report yesterday saying that if pioli gets the giants job he will do everything he can to bring belichick with him.

silver & black
12-30-2006, 11:22 AM
I agree, but I was also thinking that maybe Whiz thought it out and figured that working for Al Davis wasnt a good idea.

Well, you all know I'm as die hard a Raiders fan as you can get, but I don't blame him for not wanting to work for Al Davis, not many people do... thats why we have Shell. :dang:

tony hipchest
12-30-2006, 12:13 PM

NMappearantly jerry jones, d. snyder and the eagles have all been saying alot of really "nice things" to the eagles about casserly. why would they be pushing him so hard to the giants? maybe because he sucks?

as for pioli, he is a ny native and the giants has always been his dream job. if he does get it, he would have a great shot of stealing a particular HC away from notre dame.

its hard not to viwe whiz as the perfect candidate in pittsburgh or atlanta. i think he would have a tough choise to make.

its hard not to view grimm as the perfect candidate in arizona or washington. the one offensive line coach i can think of who went to be head coach other than m. tice(?) is joe bugle in arizona. coincidentally i think he coached grimm as a hog.

Big D
12-30-2006, 12:22 PM
appearantly jerry jones, d. snyder and the eagles have all been saying alot of really "nice things" to the eagles about casserly. why would they be pushing him so hard to the giants? maybe because he sucks?

as for pioli, he is a ny native and the giants has always been his dream job. if he does get it, he would have a great shot of stealing a particular HC away from notre dame.

its hard not to viwe whiz as the perfect candidate in pittsburgh or atlanta. i think he would have a tough choise to make.

its hard not to view grimm as the perfect candidate in arizona or washington. the one offensive line coach i can think of who went to be head coach other than m. tice(?) is joe bugle in arizona. coincidentally i think he coached grimm as a hog.

Pioli is also boys with belichick. You have to remeber the giants is where it all began for Belichick. And he would have another golden boy with elisha manning work with.

tony hipchest
12-30-2006, 01:43 PM
Pioli is also boys with belichick. You have to remeber the giants is where it all began for Belichick. And he would have another golden boy with elisha manning work with.it will be tough for the giants to even get an interview for pioli. theres no way they will let go of belichick. that would be like them giving up brady just because some other team wants him. really for the giants to acquire pioli they will have to offer him an upword movement in position which would be president of the team. if the giants are just looking to make him GM (a lateral movement) the pats have exclusive rights to him since he is under contract and have all rights to not even grant an interview..

Big D
12-30-2006, 01:46 PM
it will be tough for the giants to even get an interview for pioli. theres no way they will let go of belichick. that would be like them giving up brady just because some other team wants him. really for the giants to acquire pioli they will have to offer him an upword movement in position which would be president of the team. if the giants are just looking to make him GM (a lateral movement) the pats have exclusive rights to him since he is under contract and have all rights to not even grant an interview..

a few draft picks could change the patsys mind in a hurry though. I do agree with you tony. I think if pioli does go to the giants they will go after Charlie Weis

tony hipchest
12-30-2006, 01:51 PM
a few draft picks could change the patsys mind in a hurry though. I do agree with you tony. I think if pioli does go to the giants they will go after Charlie Weisif it were that easy, about 25 teams wouldve thrown draftpicks at patriots for 'chick. giants already got the shorter end of the stick on the trade for eli manning.

look at what tampa bay did to get k. johnson, and then j. gruden, and look at the situation they are in now. sure they got a ring but they are paying the price now and will be for quite a few years. gians have 3 rings and will not go through desperate measures to get a 4th.

Big D
12-30-2006, 02:26 PM
if it were that easy, about 25 teams wouldve thrown draftpicks at patriots for 'chick. giants already got the shorter end of the stick on the trade for eli manning.

look at what tampa bay did to get k. johnson, and then j. gruden, and look at the situation they are in now. sure they got a ring but they are paying the price now and will be for quite a few years. gians have 3 rings and will not go through desperate measures to get a 4th.

Yeah but the difference is "chick" has a history with the giants. By no means am I suggesting this is going to happen. All i'm saying is that it was a rumor I read that somewhat made sense to me

Elvis
01-02-2007, 03:52 PM
:tt02: Rex Ryan would be an awesome fit in Pittsburgh if Cowher leaves...:thumbsup: :wave:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-02-2007, 10:19 PM
:tt02: Rex Ryan would be an awesome fit in Pittsburgh if Cowher leaves...:thumbsup: :wave:

Now wouldn't that just kill the ratbirds so see one of their coaches pacing up and down the sidelines of Heinz field !!! :sofunny:

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-03-2007, 12:51 AM

NM

The ones that want to win do look elsewhere... :flap: