PDA

View Full Version : Saban to Alabama?

Stlrs4Life
12-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Dolphins | Saban expected to receive offer from Alabama
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 09:43:34 -0800
Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports the University of Alabama is expected to make a lucrative contract offer to Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban to become the school's next head coach as early as Sunday, Dec. 31, or Monday, Jan. 1. Alabama's offer is expected to be much more than the $15 million Saban is owed for the three years remaining on his contract with the Dolphins. The difference could amount to a guarantee in the $40 million range against Miami's $15 million. Saban would likely receive approximately $4 million annually and a signing bonus in the $7 million range.

Big D
12-30-2006, 04:37 PM
Dolphins | Saban expected to receive offer from Alabama
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 09:43:34 -0800
Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports the University of Alabama is expected to make a lucrative contract offer to Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban to become the school's next head coach as early as Sunday, Dec. 31, or Monday, Jan. 1. Alabama's offer is expected to be much more than the $15 million Saban is owed for the three years remaining on his contract with the Dolphins. The difference could amount to a guarantee in the $40 million range against Miami's $15 million. Saban would likely receive approximately $4 million annually and a signing bonus in the $7 million range.

if he does go, does anyone think mike mularkey would get the job...

Stlrs4Life
12-30-2006, 04:46 PM
More than likely if they stay in house.

Godfather
12-30-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm not surprised they're making another run at him. He's staring 6-10 in the face and might get fired.

He'd be an idiot to leave Miami voluntarily, though. He'd leave the NFL as a failure and a quitter and would probably never get another chance. Plus he'd deal with the most delusional fan base in all of college football telling him why he isn't as good as "THE BEAR".

Anyway, the Shulas might talk him out of it.

Big D
12-30-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm not surprised they're making another run at him. He's staring 6-10 in the face and might get fired.

He'd be an idiot to leave Miami voluntarily, though. He'd leave the NFL as a failure and a quitter and would probably never get another chance. Plus he'd deal with the most delusional fan base in all of college football telling him why he isn't as good as "THE BEAR".

Anyway, the Shulas might talk him out of it.

thats exactly why I think he will be back next year. I think at some point he will go back to college. But not on a losing note.

Livinginthe past
12-30-2006, 05:47 PM
thats exactly why I think he will be back next year. I think at some point he will go back to college. But not on a losing note.

Alot of the guys i've seen talking about this seem to think that this is a huge factor - that he isn't used to failure and wont want to end his first attempt at the pro-game to end with a losing record.

I think that excellent Miami D have another year in them, the Culpepper misjudgement cost them everything this year.

I heard somewhere that the Dolphins have 30 guys up for FA agency before next year - I dont know if that includes some of the key guys on the D side of the ball.

I also think that Miami spent the most on co-ords this year.

NM

Big D
12-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Alot of the guys i've seen talking about this seem to think that this is a huge factor - that he isn't used to failure and wont want to end his first attempt at the pro-game to end with a losing record.

I think that excellent Miami D have another year in them, the Culpepper misjudgement cost them everything this year.

I heard somewhere that the Dolphins have 30 guys up for FA agency before next year - I dont know if that includes some of the key guys on the D side of the ball.

I also think that Miami spent the most on co-ords this year.

NM

they did. But if the dolphin job does open up you can bet Grimm and whisenhunt will get looked at

tony hipchest
12-30-2006, 06:33 PM
the miami job really doesnt seem like a great one. for the longest time between landry and johnson they had the longest streak for most consecutive playoff appearances, yet could never reach the afcc game.

i wonder if saban preferred brees and if mgmt forced culpepper down his throat. is he the gm too? if "pep" was forced upon him against his wishes, that alone could force him to want to leave. it was like pulling teeth to get him to leave the college ranks in the 1st place.

"better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be a small fish in a big pond"

Stlrs4Life
01-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Just saw on ESPNews that Nick Saban has been given until Wednesday at 10am EST to decide on Alabama's offer.

Big D
01-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Saban just agreed to take the head coaching job at bama. Didnt even show up for a scheduled meeting with the dolphins. Told them he was quiting by the phone.

Livinginthe past
01-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Saban just agreed to take the head coaching job at bama. Didnt even show up for a scheduled meeting with the dolphins. Told them he was quiting by the phone.

Wow really?

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIA/9905429

That is a hell of a poor way to leave the franchise - not that im too unhappy - Saban could be a hell of a coach in the NFL if he gave it some time.

Maybe the personell problems appearing over the horizon for next year scared him off - the 30 players available for FA, no starting QB, two best players (Jason Taylor + Zach Thomas) are 32.

I think he could have done a little better by Miami than a phonecall though, thats pretty classless.

NM

Big D
01-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Wow really?

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIA/9905429

That is a hell of a poor way to leave the franchise - not that im too unhappy - Saban could be a hell of a coach in the NFL if he gave it some time.

Maybe the personell problems appearing over the horizon for next year scared him off - the 30 players available for FA, no starting QB, two best players (Jason Taylor + Zach Thomas) are 32.

I think he could have done a little better by Miami than a phonecall though, thats pretty classless.

NM

whats sad is that saban wanted drew brees but the dolphin doctors said the medical risk was to high. I think saban will be back in the nfl