PDA

View Full Version : Bengals talking smack already

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2005, 01:02 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_360563.html

The Steelers and Cincinnati Bengals are already staging a war of words.
Bengals wideout Chad Johnson sent the initial salvos two days ago, when he told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review "No one (in Pittsburgh) can cover me."

He went on to trash talk several members of the Steelers secondary, including cornerbacks Willie Williams and Deshea Townsend, and safeties Troy Polamalu and Chris Hope.

The Steelers on Thursday reacted to the brash wideout's verbiage -- some shrugging it off, others chuckling and a few shooting back.

Even coach Bill Cowher weighed in on Johnson's ripfest.

"I heard about it, I read about it," Cowher said. "I guess it's the dog days of Cincinnati right now. It's nice to know we're in the thoughts of many people's minds. We're flattered by that."

Johnson took some extra digs at free safety Hope, first forgetting his name and then saying, "You tell Hope I'm going to give him all elbows."

Hope cracked a smile when told of the "elbow" quote, claiming it was just Chad Johnson being, well, Chad Johnson.

"I think he's a great guy and a great player and he looks to have fun any way he can," Hope said. "You've got to respect that from him. Last year, he sent the Cleveland Browns Pepto Bismol (to cure the ills supposedly brought on by Johnson). So, this is just another one of his pranks. I appreciate him thinking about us so early."

Williams also perceived the comments as being lighthearted, though he did point out that there is always some truth in a joke. In this instance, perhaps Johnson, a Pro Bowl wideout who led the AFC in receiving yards last season, believes the Steelers secondary has weaknesses.

"And maybe it's not just him, maybe other wide receivers out there think that, too," Williams said. "I don't trash talk, but whatever he feels he wants to say, he can say."

The Steelers ranked fourth in the NFL in pass defense last season, allowing 177.2 yards per game. The unit is pretty much intact this season, sans Chad Scott. And, even though they didn't completely dominate Johnson -- he had nine catches for 134 yards with a touchdown in his two games against the Steelers -- they neutralized him, for the most part.

The Steelers face Johnson for the first time this season Oct. 23 in Cincinnati.

"If we would have been playing them this week, (his words) might have been taken more personally, but we're still in training camp and we have two to three weeks of practice against each other before we think about Cincinnati or anybody else," Hope said. "But he must think very highly of us to worry about us this early in the year."

When Steelers free safety Mike Logan got wind of Johnson's comments, he put a call in to Bengals defensive lineman and former West Virginia teammate John Thornton, letting him know that Johnson's words were causing a stir. Thornton explained that it was Chad Johnson being - you guessed it - Chad Johnson.

"That's marketing for him," Logan said of Johnson. "He's a great receiver. I know Chad personally and what he did right here was just to help sell papers. And even if he does feel that way, he wouldn't come out and say it like that."

Or, maybe he would.

"The key is not letting it get to your head," Williams said. "It's not getting to my head and I hope the guys aren't letting it get to them."

Neither Williams nor Steelers linebacker Clark Haggans subscribes to Johnson's trash-talking style.

"Coach Cowher always tells us you don't want to put bulletin-board material up," Haggans said. "And he can do that, and that's fine, but we still have to play football. That's where you can't just talk it, you have to walk it."

Johnson, who proclaimed he plans to send some of his opponents gifts again this year, said the Steelers will get Heinz Ketchup.

"Good," Williams said, "I'll put it on my French fries."

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2005, 01:03 AM
OK Chad, bring it on. We've covered you before, we'll cover you again. You're not THAT good man ! But this is just chad being chad so we can take it w/ a grain of salt.

No disrespect to our bengal SF friends, but u know I had to post this up!

bigbensgirl7
08-05-2005, 01:14 AM
Yah...it's definately Chad being Chad! I don't take anything out of his mouth very seriously. It's all in good fun, and I think Bill said it best..."I heard about it, I read about it," Cowher said. "I guess it's the dog days of Cincinnati right now. It's nice to know we're in the thoughts of many people's minds. We're flattered by that."

Prosdo
08-05-2005, 01:17 AM
lol Nice quote by Cowher! I'm sure Cincy didn't like it.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2005, 01:52 AM
I guess it's the dog days of Cincinnati right now

oh, u can read into that in soooooo many ways!! :rofl:

bengalsfan21
08-05-2005, 01:57 AM
Just answer me this......Who can cover Chad one on one....Nobody, not Chump Baily, not Yy Law, nor Williams or Townsend...With that said, Chad cracks me up

Livinginthe past
08-05-2005, 05:27 AM
Just answer me this......Who can cover Chad one on one....Nobody, not Chump Baily, not Yy Law, nor Williams or Townsend...With that said, Chad cracks me up

You know what makes me laugh....fans who keep asking - who can cover receiver 'X' one on one?
When fans focus too much on what their one star player can do - its a sign that their team may not be that strong as a whole....maybe one small element is missing....say...maybe...a DEFENCE....

Chad, being Chad or not, is running his mouth on the back of personal stats not any sort of team accomplishment - and when it comes down to it, this is a good insight into whether he sees himself part of the Bengals organisation, or Team Chad.

Anyways, smack talk nearly ALWAYS helps the opposition gain extra motivation - why do you think Bill Belichick is always bigging up the likes of the Cardinals and 49ers?

Cheers

NM

LambertIsGod58
08-05-2005, 08:25 AM
If NOBODY could cover Chad Johnson, I would think that Cinci would be posting better records than 8-8.

ironcitychef
08-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Just for the record some scientific notes on "Chad"...

Tied for 6th in # of pass attempts to him, but a low 43rd in & of those passes caught. Chad tends to play to his competition ie- burns Bailey and McAlister but struggles against Henry of the Browns in the Pepto game. He also gets distracted as he starts to put up numbers and then gets hit or starts jawing and his body position and mechanics get out of wack.

Also Johnson and Washington faced soft coverage(backs at least 7 yards off the player at line or in prevent) 17.9% and 24.0% of the time respectively.

Which could show that they are respected, but also that combined with him only catching 50% of the balls thrown at him, shows yeah might not be able to cover him one on one, but as long as you have help over the top he isn't much more of a deep threat statiscally than Greg Lewis and Randle El.

bigbensgirl7
08-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Good stats ICC!
I agree with Living here. Usually in my experiences the guys talking smack before games usually get shut up quick...esp. by teams like the Steelers and Pats! It gives them the extra motivation on to take care of things on the field. Chad in some ways might back up what he says, but this is a team sport and the last thing I would want to do is piss off one of the top ranked defenses in the league last year!
Does anyone remember what happened to the Ravens in 2001 when the Ravens were talking a ton of smack before the game. Ray Ray claiming that we were going to see who the #1 defense was (which we did-but they wore black and gold...not purple) this is also the same game Fat Tony told his fans to follow anyone wearing black and gold in to the bathroom and take care of business and they were going to take care of business on the field. (This is the same year that we statistically dominated them in our first meeting but Kris Brown missed 4 out of 5 FGs) Well what happened...our guys laughed at them in the locker room when Cowher told them all about it and came out and pounded the Ravens and clinched the AFC North. (This was one of my favorite games to watch)
Some teams might get intimidated by the smack talk...but the Steelers seem to respond to it and take it out on the field-and they usually end up having the last words!

CantStop85
08-05-2005, 02:49 PM
"There are three things that are certain in life...death, taxes, and 85 will be open." -CJ

Livinginthe past
08-05-2005, 04:39 PM
"There are three things that are certain in life...death, taxes, and 85 will be open." -CJ

I guess, what with your no.85 being constantly 'open' it must be your esteemed QB who is not doing his job properly .

Speaking of Carson, I believe the Patriots are planning to swap their defensive line for a set of mattresses - after scouting him at the QB shootout, they seen what a hard time he had getting past them.

PRA

bigbensgirl7
08-05-2005, 05:04 PM
I guess, what with your no.85 being constantly 'open' it must be your esteemed QB who is not doing his job properly .

Speaking of Carson, I believe the Patriots are planning to swap their defensive line for a set of mattresses - after scouting him at the QB shootout, they seen what a hard time he had getting past them.

PRA
:rofl: :rofl: that's great Living!!!

docsteel
08-05-2005, 10:44 PM
still laughing that the browns could win a super bowl as soon as the left that shit hole on the lake

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2005, 10:47 PM
When you have a solid defense full of team players, everybody helps cover everybody when need be. Better to have a group of solid DB's than 1 good guy and a bunch of average joe's running around back there.

ironcitychef
08-06-2005, 12:03 AM
Speaking of Carson, I believe the Patriots are planning to swap their defensive line for a set of mattresses - after scouting him at the QB shootout, they seen what a hard time he had getting past them

OOOHHHHHHH, Thats a good one!...:busted:

BB2W
08-06-2005, 07:55 PM

- In the first game against the Steelers last season Chad had 4 catches for 54 yards....seems like someone was covering him....

- In your loss to the Browns :laughing: he had 3 catches for 37 yards, but you know how tough those shut-down corners in Cleveland are. :hehe:

This is just more Bengals players and fans talking smack to make up for their inferrior win loss record. It is ridiculous to say you or someone else can't be covered....it is the NFL and you can be stopped any given day. Instead of trying to draw attention to himself he should help the Bengals win some games.

Just answer me this.....how did Chad do in the playoffs?..... Oh, thats right he was watching the playoffs. :rofl:

"I heard about it, I read about it," Cowher said. "I guess it's the dog days of Cincinnati right now. It's nice to know we're in the thoughts of many people's minds. We're flattered by that."
Great response coach....and so true. :D

hardwork
08-06-2005, 08:45 PM
No. 85 for Cinncy? Hmmmmm, never heard of em.

CantStop85
08-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Instead of trying to draw attention to himself he should help the Bengals win some games.

Yeah for real, Chad Johnson should be stepping up and leading the team. He needs to stop making the Bengals rely on the defense to win games...sheesh. Leading the AFC in receiving yards just isn't good enough. Forget refusing to hold out in order to help the team, he should sign a 10 year contract for $100. What a selfish little bitch.

*Satire off

Do you think a big-name, big-attitude player is bad for a franchise that hasn't had a winning season in 15 years? No...he gives new life to a franchise that has sucked for so long.

BB2W
08-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Yeah for real, Chad Johnson should be stepping up and leading the team. He needs to stop making the Bengals rely on the defense to win games...sheesh. Leading the AFC in receiving yards just isn't good enough. Forget refusing to hold out in order to help the team, he should sign a 10 year contract for $100. What a selfish little bitch.

*Satire off

Do you think a big-name, big-attitude player is bad for a franchise that hasn't had a winning season in 15 years? No...he gives new life to a franchise that has sucked for so long.
Teammates don't respond to a player that uses props to promote himself, and sends Pepto Bismol to an opposing team, and finishes the game with three catches for 37 yards.....they respond to leaders like the Bus who shows up everyday, and work as hard as a player fighting for a roster spot, but delivers on Sundays.

There is no Chad in TEAM....

meanjoe75
08-07-2005, 06:05 AM
Whats funny is how Chad Johnson talks all this crap and he still on a team that sucks. What I cant wait to see is the Steelers shut his big fat stupid mouth

CantStop85
08-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Teammates don't respond to a player that uses props to promote himself, and sends Pepto Bismol to an opposing team, and finishes the game with three catches for 37 yards.....they respond to leaders like the Bus who shows up everyday, and work as hard as a player fighting for a roster spot, but delivers on Sundays.

There is no Chad in TEAM....
Yeah, ok...how many games do you think the Bengals would actually win without Chad Johnson?

Teammates respond to a player who works harder than anyone else on the team during practice then sleeps at the stadium the night before a game.

Of course Chad's going to have off-games every now and then, but if you're saying he doesn't deliver on Sunday you're either ignorant or blind. Chad can just stand on the field and deliver by drawing double teams that leave other receivers wide open.

One guy can only do so much. Trash talking is only a bad thing when you can't back it up. Sure, he had a bad day at the browns game, but he also issued a guaranteed win against the Chiefs in 2003 when they were undefeated. Who won that game?

Every team needs a vocal leader.

BB2W
08-07-2005, 11:59 PM
Chad Johnson is a cancer..... a poor man's T.O.

If his thoughts involved his team, he would be more humble seeing how his team hasn't done anything since he has been there. All he cares about is Chad, and how Chad is doing.

JerseySTEEL
08-08-2005, 12:57 AM
All chad has showed to be is inconstant, he drops way to many passes to be among the top 5 wr's and has had to many " tantrums " on the side lines to be called a team player if it was any other coach then lewis, chad would see a little bench time with extra laps.

CantStop85
08-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Seriously...why do you guys think he is a "cancer" just because of his personality?

He hasn't held out or said anything bad about his team/teammates and he's been the most productive player on the team for the last 3 years...yet he likes to crack jokes so he's a cancer. What?

bengalsfan21
08-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Seriously...why do you guys think he is a "cancer" just because of his personality?

He hasn't held out or said anything bad about his team/teammates and he's been the most productive player on the team for the last 3 years...yet he likes to crack jokes so he's a cancer. What?

No matter what is said their jealousy will always be there.........They are bitter they can't get a deal done with the humble team player Hines Ward....It's ok though if you don't want to pay him it seems as if Baltimore will, or any other team for that matter.

CantStop85
08-08-2005, 11:11 PM
No matter what is said their jealousy will always be there.........They are bitter they can't get a deal done with the humble team player Hines Ward....It's ok though if you don't want to pay him it seems as if Baltimore will, or any other team for that matter.
We could always use another receiver. :blurp:

BB2W
08-08-2005, 11:37 PM

We do want Hines, but no fan, or anyone in the front office wants Chad Johnson. He could never dawn the Black & Gold.....he is a hell of a football player but the circus act that follows him is ridiculous. I am glad you are happy to have Chad on your team. I am just saying I don't want him on mine. I would rather get the job done with a player more humble and team oriented, instead of all the antics and so much "me talk".

CantStop85
08-08-2005, 11:43 PM
We do want Hines, but no fan, or anyone in the front office wants Chad Johnson. He could never dawn the Black & Gold.....he is a hell of a football player but the circus act that follows him is ridiculous. I am glad you are happy to have Chad on your team. I am just saying I don't want him on mine. I would rather get the job done with a player more humble and team oriented, instead of all the antics and so much "me talk".
At least our Wide Receiver is practicing right now. :D

BB2W
08-08-2005, 11:50 PM
At least our Wide Receiver is practicing right now. :D

Don't get me wrong....I am not very happy with Hines. What can you do? I would still rather have Cedrick Wilson or El than Chad.

CantStop85
08-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Don't get me wrong....I am not very happy with Hines. What can you do? I would still rather have Cedrick Wilson or El than Chad.
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/7384/liar0il.jpg

BB2W
08-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Honestly, I would hate to see Chad in a Steelers uniform....his athletic ability is among the best in the NFL, but I would be embarassed by the circus act and all the showboating. I would rather get the job done with someone that has less ability, but more ethics and sportsmanship. I guess I am old school....

I am not being a hypocrite.....some of the things that Joey Porter has done on and off the feild disgust me. He is a thug....I like his athletic ability, but hate his personality. I even lost a bit of respect for Hines when he did the bird against the Eagles. I thought it was stupid and unecessary. Just as if he grabbed a sign taunting the NFL and held it in front of him. I hate when the Bus will have like two back to back runs for a total of 11 yards, and he jumps up shaking his head and pumpin his legs like he just had a major impact in the game. I just like the guys that hand the ball to the ref.....

I know I am this way from High School where our coach would not tolerate hardly any celebrations and no "look at me" kinda stuff. We were all about business and never let our emotions get to us.

BB2W
08-09-2005, 03:42 PM
I did want to say that Chad has gotten better as far a his behavior on the feild. Maybe he relized how stupid it looked after watching Kelly Washinton or Freddie Mitchell.

Still everytime he is on TV or getting quoted he is degrading other players, or just a whole team, or the whole NFL in general. He always has some kinda jokes, or one-liners, or a catch phrase..... the whole act is getting a bit ridiculous. It is like he thinks he is in Pro-Wrestling.

Making statements like this, and showing no respect for the Steelers or any other team is gonna make the cork board, and is gonna get him hurt. It is also gonna give the other team an edge and just another reason to get up for the game and kick some butt.....Look how the Pepto Bismol stunt helped the team. You got wupped by the pathetic Browns who were pumped up to stop Chad, beat the Bengals, and they did.

I can't wait til the first time Chad goes over the middle and Polamalu puts the stamp on him. Chris Hope hits very hard too! :injured:

Southernsteeler
08-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Who care's he might get a TD and a hundred some yards but his team will still lose cuz Palmer will throw 2 int and the bungles secondary blows ...Chad is half right though nobody can cover him in the playoffs cuz he'll be sitting on his butt watching the games on TV

CantStop85
08-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Who care's he might get a TD and a hundred some yards but his team will still lose cuz Palmer will throw 2 int and the bungles secondary blows ...Chad is half right though nobody can cover him in the playoffs cuz he'll be sitting on his butt watching the games on TV
I can feel the love in the room right now.

Get off Palmer's back, he was basically a rookie last season and you're criticizing him like he's Kyle Boller. Palmer should be good for 25 TD's, 3,000+ yards, and about 10-18 picks this season.

Last time I checked, the Bengals secondary was one of the strengths on the defense with Tory James going to the Pro Bowl last season, Madieu being a rising star, and Deltha O'Neal/Keiwan Ratliff being very solid. The Bengals finished 13th in passing yards allowed per game.

Stopping the run was the main problem with the Bengals defense last season, namely because of the front 7. The run defense should be improved this year with the newly named starters of Odell Thurman at MLB, Landon Johnson at OLB(Pollack lost the job), Bryan Robinson at DT, Robert Geathers at DE, and every one else on the defensive line switching positions.

I bet you thought you were pretty intelligent with those witty remarks, but please try harder next time.

BengalBrian
08-09-2005, 06:42 PM
I bet you thought you were pretty intelligent with those witty remarks, but please try harder next time.

Anyone with that avatar is far from 'pretty intelligent'

Wouldnt want to see Chad in a Steelers uniform.. lol

You people crack me up that say this... He is a better athlete than Ward and may act goofy and have fun, but his ethics are fine.. Not lacking in that dept.. Maybe you were referring to Hines 'I cant honor the last year of my contract' Ward. Maybe you meant you dont want to see HIM in a Steeler uniform.. Hell.. You may luck out.. You may not see him in a uniform at all this year... Perhaps he's still embarrased from crying like a baby and doesnt want to show his face...

:boxing:

CantStop85
08-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Anyone with that avatar is far from 'pretty intelligent'

Wouldnt want to see Chad in a Steelers uniform.. lol

You people crack me up that say this... He is a better athlete than Ward and may act goofy and have fun, but his ethics are fine.. Not lacking in that dept.. Maybe you were referring to Hines 'I cant honor the last year of my contract' Ward. Maybe you meant you dont want to see HIM in a Steeler uniform.. Hell.. You may luck out.. You may not see him in a uniform at all this year... Perhaps he's still embarrased from crying like a baby and doesnt want to show his face...

:boxing:
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/7015/hinesbettis3cs.jpg

BengalBrian
08-09-2005, 09:39 PM
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/7015/hinesbettis3cs.jpg
:sign01: :monkey: :rofl:

BB2W
08-10-2005, 12:46 AM
Glad to see Bengals fans are in full form..... same old smack, same old hype, same old Bungles. Nothing like a foot in your mouth, huh. :blah:

BengalBrian
08-10-2005, 12:51 AM
Glad to see Bengals fans are in full form..... same old smack, same old hype, same old Bungles. Nothing like a foot in your mouth, huh. :blah:
Same old smack? Smack is smack.. This is a waste of keystrokes.. You are weak.. Either REALLY smack back, or go back under yer rock...

;)

Just playin'

ironcitychef
08-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Without counting the trashtalking already done, whats the current line on how soon we hear from Chad doing something crazy again? I'm guessing the last week of preseason as he will have too much time on the sidelines with too many cameras at him. Then he will insert a foot in his mouth and kick this season off!

BengalBrian
08-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Nah.. Chad will be just fine.. Although I heard he claims his speed is due to all the McDonald's he eats.. He made a camera man follow him to McDonald's that was filming spring training.. He got 2 cb's, ff's and a large coke, no ice.. Then he asked for an application