PDA

View Full Version : Who dat vs. Who dey

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-31-2006, 08:53 AM
In 1981, the Bengals started out 5-2 after a 6-10 season. In week 8 they played New Orleans and began taunting the Saints with the Who dat chant that the Saints had been using up to that time. (The Saints picked it up from an old blues song that said ...who dat up there, who dat down there..) The Bengals chant DIED by the 4th quarter when they saw that they were not going to pull out the victory...Now at 5-3 the Bengals future looked bad but won three in a row against Houston, San Diego, and Los Angeles to go 8-3. During the Houston game they used it sparingly but couldnt get the crowd to participate...It was during the San Diego game that the crowd started getting into it and soon after it was changed to who dey..., so at 7-3, (In week 10) is when Bengals' history claims the "Who dey" started.... 2 GAMES AFTER using it as a plagerized taunt against the Saints, and 10 games after The Saints had been using it

The bengals use their own dates to show that they started it in 1981..but conveniently push the Who dat chant as starting in 1982...not true ...:dang:

How can I be sure of this....Carl Mauck...center for Houston in 1981 and Line coach for the Saints in 1982 was a first hand witness to this...Hearing the Chant in New Oleans as a player with Houston...and watched the progression as a coach with New Orleans....He adamantly states that there is NO doubt about who was first ....He is from my hometown and told us the history first hand...I am 99% sure of the teams and weeks that this happened ...and 100% sure that he said The Saints started it and the beginning of the season and the Bengals stole it during the season.

For those who I have already told this to..sorry for the repeat.

Stlrs4Life
12-31-2006, 08:59 AM
We all know of the origins, too bad the Bunghole fans can't understand.

We Dey, there's no doubt of when that chant was started.

SteelShooter
12-31-2006, 09:22 AM
We all know of the origins, too bad the Bunghole fans can't understand.

We Dey, there's no doubt of when that chant was started.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too funny Stlrs4Life!

Thanks for sharing the dates and the rest of the info LLT!