PDA

View Full Version : More whining from the Bungles

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-01-2007, 10:57 AM
http://postgazette.com/pg/07001/750416-66.stm

Disappointing Bengals :yawn:

You think the Steelers are unhappy about finishing 8-8 and missing the playoffs? They've got nothing in terms of disappointment on the Bengals, who started the season 3-0 and finished with the same 8-8 record, losing their final three games.

"I never in a million years thought that we'd be sitting at home during the playoffs with the talent that we have," running back Rudi Johnson said. "But this is the NFL. If you don't come with your best game every week, you'll be in trouble. It doesn't matter how much talent you have. The teams that play as a team always win."

"Selfishness" was a term heard throughout the Bengals' locker room. Coach Marvin Lewis used it to describe his team last week. The players picked up on it yesterday.

"We all know it's selfishness," veteran offensive tackle Willie Anderson said. "We as a team will never get over the hump with the selfishness."

That's only part of the problem, quarterback Carson Palmer said.

"There are a number of reasons. It's everybody, coaches to players. There are a number of things that need to change around here.

"Marvin has his hands full this offseason. He has a long offseason ahead of him because we weren't a very good football team. We're a team that should be better than 8-8."

Kick in the teeth

For the second consecutive game, a mistake in the kicking game doomed the Bengals. They lost in Denver, 24-23, last week when long snapper Brad St. Louis' extra-point snap sailed wide late in the game. They lost yesterday when kicker Shayne Graham pushed a 39-yard field-goal try wide right at the end of regulation.

"The only person I can point the finger at is myself," Graham said. "The field was fine. The snap and hold were perfect. I even felt I hit the ball well. I just have to execute. There's no excuse for not doing that today."

Added Palmer: "That's what average teams do. You get a chance to win it and you lose it in the end. You don't win games like you should."

Mosca
01-01-2007, 11:05 AM
They're right, and it goes right to the personalities that also wind up on the police blotter. Criminals are not known for their sense of brotherhood, for their willingness to sacrifice. Part of that psyche is the "always looking out for #1" attitude.

I'm looking for LLT to jump in and add more insight to that one. LLT?

Tom

HometownGal
01-02-2007, 07:47 AM
"We all know it's selfishness," veteran offensive tackle Willie Anderson said. "We as a team will never get over the hump with the selfishness."

Well gee, Willie, if you all know selfishness is an issue - I'd say the ball is in the players court to change it - wouldn't ya say? :dang: :dang: :dang:

X-Terminator
01-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Well gee, Willie, if you all know selfishness is an issue - I'd say the ball is in the players court to change it - wouldn't ya say? :dang: :dang: :dang:

Nobody ever accused the Bungles of being Mensa candidates...

tony hipchest
01-02-2007, 11:54 PM

NAMBLA...yes

Mensa... uh, NO!

memphissteelergirl
01-03-2007, 12:09 PM

:toofunny: :toofunny:

NIIICE!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-03-2007, 12:31 PM
NAMBLA...yes

Mensa... uh, NO!

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Stillers#1
01-03-2007, 12:35 PM
This is what losers do, losers whine. Winners find a way to win, and when they don't, they take the blame on their shoulders, and work with what they have.

Get a clue carson, you're not at USC anymore.

fansince'76
01-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Get a clue carson, you're not at USC anymore.

Yeah, he hasn't grown up much, has he? Spoiled little brat - time to grow up, Carson.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-09-2007, 09:16 AM
They're right, and it goes right to the personalities that also wind up on the police blotter. Criminals are not known for their sense of brotherhood, for their willingness to sacrifice. Part of that psyche is the "always looking out for #1" attitude.

I'm looking for LLT to jump in and add more insight to that one. LLT?

Tom

These are just a few of the points about the psychological make up of criminals and violent people.

* Extreme egomania/selfishness/me-based orientation
* Poor impulse control
* Manipulative behavior
* Inability to accurately "read" other people's emotions
* Little or no ability to delay gratification
* Disassociation from the negative effects of their actions/guilt
* Your "value" is defined by what you can do for them
* The only consistent in their behavior is what benefits/pleases them.

Each day of your life, you encounter attitudes, behavior and ways of thinking that are annoying and selfish.... Usually, however, these obnoxious people have a form of "checks and balances" that keep them in line with normal society....and we tend to assume these checks and balances are always in place.... This is the "social contract" that allows people to function and get along together day-to-day..... We don't realize how ingrained and unconscious these rules of behavior and ways of thinking are.

What few people realize is that these checks and balances are missing with the criminal or violent person. Nature abhors a vacuum. With this absence of counterbalancing influences.... certain behavior flourishes and grows, taking up that empty space. What is apparent to a small degree in a normal person becomes enormous in the criminal. The magnitude and extremes to which a criminal is willing to go are unbelievable to most people....They simply cannot grasp it....they cannot see the connections of day-to-day behavior to the extremes. They simply don't believe that the small, annoying conduct they encounter every day could grow and become such extreme evil....while others, until they see the extremes, cannot recognize those same behavioral patterns in daily activities. When these people see the extreme, then they can recognize the smaller, more controlled version

In the case of some athletes ....actors..singers...or really any person who is placed in a clique that THEY themselves begin to see as being above the the "social contract"....the checks and balances are sometimes removed..and the small annoying selfishness that was there all the time now begins to grow into a monster. They can finally get to a stage where they not only "act out" with impulsive behavior...but either ultimatley excuse it...or manipulate the situation by feigning a sense of remorse.

Livinginthe past
01-09-2007, 02:09 PM
* Extreme egomania/selfishness/me-based orientation
* Poor impulse control
* Manipulative behavior
* Inability to accurately "read" other people's emotions
* Little or no ability to delay gratification
* Disassociation from the negative effects of their actions/guilt
* Your "value" is defined by what you can do for them
* The only consistent in their behavior is what benefits/pleases them.

In all seriousness that is a photo-fit for Terrell Owens is it not?

Without being overly negative towards the guy he fulfils everyone of those criteria.

NM

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-09-2007, 02:38 PM
In all seriousness that is a photo-fit for Terrell Owens is it not?

Without being overly negative towards the guy he fulfils everyone of those criteria.

NM

I agree..and would add Albert Haynesworth to that category..(He was the one that stomped on the players head)