PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Uniforms for summer games

Borski
01-02-2007, 05:30 AM
alot of times when we play down south early in the season opposing teams will make us wear our black jerseys to get a slight advantage due to the heat.

if we had an alternate for these cases we wouldn't have to wear the hot black.

I mostly made this because I was bored but after I was done I thought it looked pretty cool so I thought I'd share it
http://borski88.googlepages.com/steelersaltuni.gif

I used the picture of the steelers uniform from http://www.sportslogos.net/ and modified it.

----
PS I'm not 100% sure if this belongs in this forum, but if it doesn't I guess the mods can move it.

SteelersFreak
01-02-2007, 07:10 AM
Not bad at all, looks pretty good.

Justin Otstott
01-02-2007, 07:17 AM
I like this alot...

HometownGal
01-02-2007, 08:15 AM
I like the look, Borski - well done! :thumbsup: Send it off to the Steelers - the idea is a good one!

Livinginthe past
01-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Wouldnt the white uniform (in Justin Ostott's sig, above) be better in hot weather?

I like the deisgn though, it looks really old-school.

NM

klick81
01-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Needs some white...

Stillers#1
01-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Eh...I just puked in my mouth. The black jersey thing isn't that big of a deal. Didn't we wear whites against Jacksonville this year? Let's worry about executing first. Besides, I am a firm believer in our tradition, let's not be one of those teams who has an alternate jersey.

83-Steelers-43
01-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Cool design, but I'm completely with Stillers#1 on this one.

MACH1
01-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Looks better than the old yellow and black striped jerseys.

4xSBChamps
01-02-2007, 11:43 AM
This will be the Stillers' 75th season, and to commemorate this event, I'd like to see them go back to their uniforms of the late-'50s/early-'60s:
it could be a one-year-deal, with the game-worn uniforms auctioned-off after the season, and sales of replica jerseys would sell like hot-cakes.

Here is Ernie Stautner, 'modeling' the home uniforms, consisting of a Black jersey with ALL Yellow numbering & stripes, White trousers with narrow Black/Yellow/Black striping down the side, and a Yellow helmet:

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/pitt/stautnerpit.jpg

John Henry Johnson shows-off the road uniforms, using the current helmet, a white jersey with Black stripes and numbers on Yellow sleeves, Black numerals front-and-back with Yellow borders, and the identical trousers worn at-home:

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/pitt/JHjohnsonpit.jpg

Instead of the U.S. Steel-inspired logo, I'd use the seldom-seen logo of a steel-worker, punting a football while straddling an I-beam.

SteelShooter
01-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Wouldnt the white uniform (in Justin Ostott's sig, above) be better in hot weather?

NM

LITP,

Not to be the smart@$$, but it was explained in the opening post that occasionally the home team will opt for their away uniform (as Dallas does), forcing our boys to wear the Black jersey. Being from the South, black is NOT a personal option for wear during rhe summer; it DOES make a difference during daylight hours.

But, I still have to side with Stillers. I would rather we stick with tradition, which is a steadfast part of the Pittsburgh identity; from coaching staff, to franchise QB's, to our heralded uniform. I would, to borrow a phrase already used in this thread, "throw up a little in my mouth" when I used to go to Chargers games (when I lived in the San Diego area) and they would wear their "Power Blue: throwbacks.

Stick with what we have established; it is intimidating, it is easier to pick our receivers out of a crowd during the heat of a play, and it just looks awesome. Simplicity, occasionally, is better than intricacy.

:helmet: Hurrah to the Black and Gold.........may it's legend never falter. :tt02:

ajs8207
01-02-2007, 01:47 PM
I remember reading something that said we tried to make yellow jersies about two or three years ago. The league office turned us down, saying the yellow is too dark for the road and too light for a home uniform.

4xSBChamps
01-02-2007, 01:58 PM
I remember reading something that said we tried to make yellow jersies about two or three years ago. The league office turned us down, saying the yellow is too dark for the road and too light for a home uniform.
I was told the League is VERY picky about unifrom colors, as they relate to TV, which is the reason why the NFL's 75th anniversary uniforms in '94 had lotsa Black in them, with not as-much Yellow as had been discussed, and why I submit the idea of a '50s-'60's 'throw-back' uniform for the franchise's 75th season in '07:
the team's style, and front-office character, is 'old-school', and these uniforms would enforce that opinion.

Borski
01-02-2007, 03:35 PM

NM

The white would be alot better, but alot of southern team opt for their white jersey in the summer months forcing us to wear the hot black

Eh...I just puked in my mouth. The black jersey thing isn't that big of a deal. Didn't we wear whites against Jacksonville this year? Let's worry about executing first. Besides, I am a firm believer in our tradition, let's not be one of those teams who has an alternate jersey.

I agree the black looks better, but if you've ever worn black in hot/humid weather you'd see a reason this might be a good idea, I wouldnt want them to wear it all year long. Just on extremly hot days.

and we did wear white against Jax this year but it was a night game on a not really hot day.

Stillers43
01-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Love it! I always liked there yellow practice jerseys. I have tried to get one on ebay a couple of times.

Stlrs4Life
01-02-2007, 09:35 PM

I agree. But, the reason we wore white was because the game was in the evening, yeah, your still in fla, but not as if you have the hot sun beating down on ya. If it was a Sunday afternoon game, they would have had us in Black.

ncoolong
01-02-2007, 10:20 PM

We wore the whites, but the game started at 8:30 p.m. Eastern. Not much of a factor, but we certainly did suck that night. If the game started at noon, I'm betting Jax would have chosen to wear their white jerseys. Houston did it in week 2 of 2005 in Reliant Stadium.

Livinginthe past
01-03-2007, 01:15 AM
LITP,

Not to be the smart@$$, but it was explained in the opening post that occasionally the home team will opt for their away uniform (as Dallas does), forcing our boys to wear the Black jersey. Being from the South, black is NOT a personal option for wear during rhe summer; it DOES make a difference during daylight hours.

The white would be alot better, but alot of southern team opt for their white jersey in the summer months forcing us to wear the hot black

Good spot guys, guess I didnt think that one through so well :cheers:

NM

DACEB
01-03-2007, 08:52 AM
I like the design, but I would like to see them go with a more gold gold than yellow gold. Has anyone noticed the alternate Georgia Tech uniforms, the gold is darker than the original. I would like to see them change the yellow gold to a deeper more traditional gold.

Steelers
01-03-2007, 12:34 PM
I like it, but I'm a traditionalist at heart. I would be thoroughly disgusted if they ever changed.

vasteeler
01-03-2007, 12:42 PM
ugly ugly ugly:blah:

iloveben7
01-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Well they wear the white ones for away games and the black ones for home games and I would never want to see that change!!

clevestinks
01-03-2007, 04:39 PM
No No No, Lets not mess with the best uniform combo in the league. To many uniforms are starting to look college like.

12+88=6
01-03-2007, 04:51 PM
the only thing i don't like about the steelers jersey's are the #'s. i like the old square #'s from 1996 and before.

Dynasty
01-03-2007, 06:45 PM
yeah the rounded numbers suck! they kindof betray steeler tradition, if you know what i mean. The steelers have a tough, hardass attitude and round numbers don't rally go with it. or am i just putting too much stock in them?

clevestinks
01-03-2007, 07:27 PM
the only thing i don't like about the steelers jersey's are the #'s. i like the old square #'s from 1996 and before.

This I agree with! :cheers:

4xSBChamps
01-04-2007, 08:57 AM
http://www.sportslogos.net/images/Football/NFL/PIT_yg3ajf7lt77h2agajh81.gif

..... with squared-off / block-style numbers.