PDA

View Full Version : Steelers coaches talk to other teams about top jobs

83-Steelers-43
01-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Steelers coaches talk to other teams about top jobs
Tuesday, January 02, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have granted permission to two NFL teams to talk to two of their assistants for head coaching jobs.

The Atlanta Falcons will talk to both offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm. The Arizona Cardinals will talk to Whisenhunt. Both teams fired their head coaches on Monday.

Whisenhunt and Grimm are considered candidates to replace Steelers coach Bill Cowher if he steps down as expected by early next week.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07002/750705-66.stm

tony hipchest
01-02-2007, 02:15 PM
arizona not interrested in grimm? thats wierd.

Big D
01-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Mr Cowher.. Is there something you would like to share now?

Elvis
01-02-2007, 02:31 PM
:tt02: Good luck to both whatever they may do.. but I think the Cardnals are interested in Whiz cuz they want offensive minds to go with their very talented offense there in the dessert...:wave:

SteelShooter
01-02-2007, 05:59 PM
I know I need to have a little patience, but I really hope Bill does not drag this out. I would be very disgusted if we lost Hoak, Cowher, Whiz and Grimm at the same time. That would surely give us a real "rebuilding year" next year........ugh! :crutches:

PalmerSteel
01-02-2007, 06:16 PM
i think cowher will anounce he is retiring within the next 24 hours and within 48-72 hours after that, whiz will be our new head coach. just my gut feeling.

clevestinks
01-02-2007, 06:30 PM
I really expect Lebeau to retire also! Maybe let Coach Lebeau take over for one season, then let Cowher comeback

Atlanta Dan
01-02-2007, 06:37 PM
I had read LeBeau was retiring back in November but his interview this weekend sounded like a plea to be kept on, which is demeaning for such a legendary coordinator.

Atlanta Dan
01-02-2007, 06:55 PM
This linked Atlanta J-C story reiterates the P-G report that the Falcons want to talk to Whiz - contrary to other reports I have read, this linked story says the Cardinals have Grimm on their list.

One point from the story:

The Cardinals have asked for and received permission to speak to Whisenhunt, Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm, Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow and Indianapolis Colts assistant head coach Jim Caldwell, according to published reports.... Per NFL guidelines, the search also must include the interviewing of at least one minority candidate.

Chow, Caldwell and San Francisco 49ers defensive assistant coach Mike Singletary are all minority candidates.

Second point from the story:

The Falcons, per NFL rules, can interview coordinators under contract with other teams that are not involved in playoff games this weekend, such as San Diego offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, through Sunday.

Coordinators on teams that have playoff games this weekend, such as Caldwell, can be interviewed next week

So Cowher's inability to pull the trigger takes Cameron and Ron Rivera (surprised Atlanta and Arizona have no apparent interest in Rivera) out of the interview loop for several weeks for the Steelers.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/01/02/0103whisenhunt.html

A.M.
01-03-2007, 02:48 PM
If Cowher goes KEN SHOULD STAY!!!

sumo
01-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Cardinals will not hire Whisenhut anyway - they will go with Norm Chow - besides Whiz is a little touchy about things -- don't hink he would ever bring himself to play for the Bidwells ...

83-Steelers-43
01-04-2007, 06:30 AM
Steelers' assistants face sprawling possibilities

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, January 4, 2007

John Bacha has season tickets to Arizona Cardinals games, and he may soon have more reason to root for the team that has become synonymous with futility.

Bacha coached Russ Grimm at Southmoreland High School, and Grimm is one of a handful of candidates that will interview for the head coaching job that became available Monday when Arizona fired Dennis Green.

While Bill Cowher mulls his future with the Steelers, two of the team's assistant coaches, Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt, are also considering their options.

And, like Cowher, who may walk away from the job he has held since 1992, Grimm and Whisenhunt could leave the organization. Whisenhunt, the Steelers' offensive coordinator, is scheduled to interview with the Atlanta Falcons today and the Cardinals on Friday.

He could also become a candidate for the Dolphins head coaching job, because Nick Saban left Wednesday for the same position at the University of Alabama.

Grimm, an offensive line and assistant head coach with the Steelers, is expected to interview with the Cardinals on Tuesday.

If he were to win the position, Grimm would be reunited, to some degree, with Bacha, who moved to Scottsdale, Ariz., 10 years ago.

"Beyond my wildest dreams. Let's put it that way," Bacha said of Grimm becoming coach of the Cardinals.

Anything seems possible, given Cowher's uncertain status and the interest Whisenhunt and Grimm are receiving.

Cowher, who declined an invitation from NBC to work as a studio analyst for a wild-card playoff game Saturday, isn't expected to make a decision on whether he will return to the Steelers before the end of this week.

Bacha, the head coach at Southmoreland High from 1974-87, said he has not talked to Grimm, but he expects to hear from him while he is in Arizona.

The Cardinals interviewed Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera yesterday. They will also talk to Houston Texans assistant Mike Sherman, San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, Indianapolis Colts quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell and Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow.

Bacha, whose first season coaching Southmoreland was when Grimm was a sophomore, is so certain his former player will be an NFL head coach that he said, "When it happens, I'm sure he'll coach the same way he played: with everything he had."

Cowher is not the only member of the Steelers considering retirement.

Center Jeff Hartings, a two-time Pro Bowler with the Steelers, may stop playing because of chronic knee pain.

Hartings, who just completed his 11th NFL season, said he is concentrating on spending time with his family and doesn't expect he'll be making a decision for a couple of weeks.

"I'm just kind of mulling it over," Hartings said yesterday.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_486915.html