PDA

View Full Version : Saban agrees to contract with Alabama

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Saban agrees to contract with Alabama

By Alex Marvez
Sun-Sentinel.com
Posted January 3 2007, 10:34 AM EST

The Nick Saban coaching era with the Dolphins has ended.

Saban has agreed to become the new head coach at the University of Alabama, ending his two-year tenure with the Dolphins.

Saban informed Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga of his decision Wednesday morning. Huizenga made the announcement at a news conference at team headquarters.

A source said Saban informed all of his coaches by speakerphone that he was leaving.

The deal reportedly is worth between $30 million and $32 million over eight years, although the actual value could vary based on guarantees and other clauses. Saban just finished the second year of a five-year, $22.5 million contract with the Dolphins.

Saban had issued repeated denials that he was interested in coaching at Alabama. Just two weeks ago, he said, "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

On Tuesday, Saban asked for and recevied more time from Huizenga to make a decision. Huizenga remained optimistic Tuesday that Saban would return to Miami, and gave him until 10 a.m. Wednesday to make a decision.

Alabama began looking for a coach after firing Mike Shula on Nov. 27. The Crimson Tide finished the season 6-7, losing to Oklahoma State in the Independence Bowl.

College success, including a 2003 national championship with Louisiana State, and an NFL reputation as a defensive guru while working as a coordinator in Cleveland during the early 1990s made Saban the Dolphins' top candidate to replace Dave Wannstedt following a disastrous 2004 season.

But after a 9-7 record and six-game winning streak to end last season, the Dolphins didn't live up to preseason expectations in 2006. The Dolphins finished 6-10 -- Saban's first losing season in his 13-year coaching career -- and enter the offseason with one of the NFL's oldest rosters as well as uncertainty at quarterback stemming from Daunte Culpepper's knee problems.

nicesteel4life
01-03-2007, 12:21 PM
MONEY changes everything! Plus college coaching got to be easier.

tony hipchest
01-03-2007, 12:22 PM
someone who lacked the loyalty and experience of cowher was making more money than bill. i can see where cowher might be a little upset with his contract.

what is it with these belichick/parcells branches? i brought this up in the cowher retirement thread as a reason not to even look at kirk ferentz.

parcells burnt the pats. belichick burnt the jets. now saban burns the dolphins. unbelievable :dang: he did the same thing to the dolphins that he did to lsu. lie to their faces the whole time.

PisnNapalm
01-03-2007, 12:23 PM
/sarcasm

Big surprise...

/end sarcasm

MACH1
01-03-2007, 12:36 PM
He gets something like $17. Mill. more thats guarantied money than what the fins were paying.

Big D
01-03-2007, 12:41 PM
He gets something like $17. Mill. more thats guarantied money than what the fins were paying.

and its ultimate job security. I think if the phins would have anything less then a 11-5 season saban probably would have gotten fired anyways.

touchdownward
01-03-2007, 01:09 PM
It goes to show you, the more a coach denies having interest in another job, the closer he is to going out the door.

fansince'76
01-03-2007, 01:36 PM
and its ultimate job security. I think if the phins would have anything less then a 11-5 season saban probably would have gotten fired anyways.

Exactly - just another successful college coach that couldn't get it done in the NFL.

Big D
01-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Exactly - just another successful college coach that couldn't get it done in the NFL.

which is why i've said several times that Pete Carroll would fail at the nfl again. Look how many coaches came into the pros and failed. Dennis Erickson, Mike Riley, Butch Davis, Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban.

Hines0wnz
01-03-2007, 06:26 PM
What a jerk. I hope he doesnt fall down and break a hip over his millions of dollars.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Screw Saban.

Nobody is gonna wanna play for him,he jumps ship more than a New York hooker opens her legs.

he jumped on Michigan State,he jumped on LSU,he jumped on the Dolphins,and he'll jump on 'Bama.

LambertIsGod58
01-03-2007, 08:44 PM
I DID have respect for Saban, bloodlines and all...but now he's just another money hungry piece of shit........Cowher deserves more money, but we know that the Rooneys do not pay for anything. Who's the last big time free agent we ever signed? Bettis was and at the time he was considered a coaching nightmare by the Rams.

tony hipchest
01-03-2007, 08:46 PM
I DID have respect for Saban, bloodlines and all...but now he's just another money hungry piece of shit........Cowher deserves more money, but we know that the Rooneys do not pay for anything. Who's the last big time free agent we ever signed? Bettis was and at the time he was considered a coaching nightmare by the Rams.what bloodlines are those?