PDA

View Full Version : Teammates: Hartings will retire

83-Steelers-43
01-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Teammates: Hartings will retire
Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff

At least two Steelers told The Times that veteran center Jeff Hartings, 34, plans on retiring.

Hartings was not one of the handful of players who were made available to the media Monday after the Steelers met one-on-one with Bill Cowher for the last time this season, and perhaps for the last time ever.

Guard Alan Faneca, who believes Cowher will resign based on his one-on-one with the coach, also thinks Hartings has played his last game.

"I think Jeff handled the game (Sunday in Cincinnati) like it might have been his last game, and that's what you do if you're in that situation,'' Faneca said.

"You savor the moment and enjoy it. You take a picture with the guys that you're in the trenches with, just in case it is. You don't want to step away and all of a sudden you've missed those moments."

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17657689&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6

augustashark
01-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Good Luck to him and his family! retire a steeler and not a lion......Good to be him.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Jeff,if it is so I am glad to have had you as a Steelers...you're a class act.

SteelerFanInCA
01-03-2007, 03:58 PM
I know his knees have been bothering him the past few years. It might be the smarter thing to do now.

MJ5150
01-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Oh my. I'm starting to get nervous reading the Steeler headlines. Everything lately has been about someone leaving the team. Who's next? Hines?

-Mike

83-Steelers-43
01-03-2007, 04:04 PM
I think the Harting's departure was expected.

Take care Jeff and thanks for the memories. You filled the role nicely of a typical Steeler center.

Cape Cod Steel Head
01-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Class act. And it would'nt be a big suprise if he did. Best of luck!

clevestinks
01-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Hartings outplayed himself, he supposedly has NO cartlidge in either knee, bone on bone. I remember 5 years ago he was hoping to get a couple more years in, and he has played flawlessly.

Great Job JEFF, Thank you, Enjoy

Stillers#1
01-03-2007, 04:43 PM
This is the guy I modeled how I played center while at Geneva College. He is so technically sound it is ridiculous. I am going to miss him, but I think Chukki will fill in just fine.

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Jeff was a solid FA and played on bad knees far longer than many expected. Good luck to Jeff in life after football.

A loss but when it is time to go so be it. Hope Okobi steps up - only Faneca and Smith are definite to return to the starting OL next fall - times they are a changing.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Hey Jeff Hartings was a very good player for the Steelers and he did a great job for the Steelers. Plus when you factor Jeff really has been playing on one knee really the last few years. I hope Jeff has a great retirement and enjoys all the time he will have with his family now.

iloveben7
01-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Jeff Hartings was a Pittsburgh Steeler inside and out!! We will miss you Jeff and thanks for the memories!!

NV STEELERS 723
01-03-2007, 08:54 PM
I am a Hartings fan..... he's been a great Center for us... I remember when Webster stepped away, and Dermonti took over...now Jeff....he's been great for us.... and a class act ....I wish him and his family well in his RET from the NFL....he would make a great line coach...

MJ5150
01-04-2007, 12:20 AM
Man, I will TOTALLY miss Jeff Hartings. When the announcement becomes official, I will probably cry just like I did when Bus announced he was done.

I just bought a Hartings signed helmet. Yay for me!

-Mike

Buzz05
01-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Jeff was a class act all the way. I remember him back in his days at Penn State. Keep in mind he wasnt always a center he was a guard i think with the Lions. He made the transition smoothly and was consistently one of the best centers in the league. Hope he enjoys retirement to the fullest!

Haiku_Dirtt
01-04-2007, 02:41 PM
This is the guy I modeled how I played center while at Geneva College. He is so technically sound it is ridiculous. I am going to miss him, but I think Chukki will fill in just fine.

And he had some pretty big shoes to fill.

Agree about Chukki. Heck the Steelers have spent alot of time and money keeping him on roster for a reason. At least we know he is resilient.

What do you think of Geneva's Brian Hall?

memphissteelergirl
01-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Hartings-True Steeler...tough work ethic...team player all-around.

Thanks, Jeff! Enjoy retirement...you have certainly earned it!! :tt02:

Elvis
01-04-2007, 03:34 PM
:tt02: :thumbsup:
Good luck to ya Jeff and I appreciate all that you have accomplished with the Steelers and I hope that you enjoy your time off... Now, Okobi... it is your job to carry on a very great tradition of the Centers there in the PIttsburgh area.:wave:
750 and going strong

SteelerMurf
01-04-2007, 10:15 PM

Did you play high school around Beaver Falls too?

MyCuz64Furness
01-06-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm going to miss seeing my cousins number out on the field......It was kind of cool and gave me good memories.......But Best of luck to Jeff.....glad I got to see him in the opener this year:tt02: :tt02:

Texasfan
01-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Thanks Jeff!!!

LambertIsGod58
01-06-2007, 11:10 AM
That's gonna hurt bad...Hartings is one of the best centers in the league....Plus I love him being from Penn State.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
01-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Did Jeff retire yet

Stillers#1
01-06-2007, 11:57 AM
I still think Chukki will step in and do fine.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
01-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Koopa the dude that was on this board is he in jail and did jeff retire already?

klick81
01-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Koopa the dude that was on this board is he in jail and did jeff retire already?

I don't think he's officially retired yet. And I don't know what's up with Koopa. Hehe...

alittlejazzbird
02-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Guess this became official today, according to the Post Gazette. Assume it means Chukky will be the starter?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
02-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Guess this makes it official.... Thanks Jeff!!! :tt02: :tt02:

Steelers' Hartings to retire
Thursday, February 01, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. -- Pro-Bowl center Jeff Hartings has told his Steelers' teammates that he is retiring.

Hartings, who succeeded Dermontti Dawson at a position that has been the team's most stable and successful for the past four decades, told his fellow offensive linemen shortly after the season ended that he will not be back.

"He's done. He told all of us," said offensive tackle Max Starks.

Hartings ends an 11-year playing career with two teams at two different positions. He began as a guard after the Detroit Lions drafted him in the first round from Penn State in 1996. He switched to center, a position he had never played, when he signed with the Steelers in 2001 as an unrestricted free agent.

Dawson was forced into retirement after the 2000 season because of lingering hamstring muscle injuries. Hartings moved in and started all but six games over the past six seasons at center, despite chronic problems and soreness with his knees because of a loss of cartilage.

Hartings made two Pro Bowls as a center after the 2004 and 2005 seasons

Stlrs4Life
02-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks Jeff, best of luck to ya in retirement.

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Good luck Jeff - arguably the best FA pickup (after Donnell Woolford - not!:dang:) of the Cowher era

I cannot imagine the pain Hartings (with cartliage gone in his knees) and other pros go through to get out there with chronic injuries - how they play at the level they do amazes me.

SteelCityMan786
02-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the memories jeff! Enjoy your retirement.

I guess we can say the leader for Center will be Okobi.

Preacher
02-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Sad.

I will miss hartings. But the nice thing is, it sure does open up cap room for us doesn't it?

HometownGal
02-02-2007, 06:45 AM
Good luck Jeff and thanks for all of your hand work, loyalty and dedication to the team! :tt02: Sure gonna miss you.

coachspeak33
02-02-2007, 07:41 AM
I will miss good ol #64...... he had a good run for us....

Now that Jeff has received his due from me........

All together now...HOORAY FOR CAP SPACE!!!!!!!!!

DACEB
02-02-2007, 07:44 AM
First off I want to thank Jeff for his exceptional work and performance through the years, and wish him well for the future.

Good luck!

Second, I hope Chukky is ready (he should be) because as much as I like Holmes I thought we should have drafted Mangold for the future. As the retirement article said we have had a long tradition of exceptional play at center. I can only hope that continues.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-02-2007, 07:47 AM
I knew it was coming...and hope Jeff enjoys the next step of his life....but MAN I am concerned about Okobi. He seemed to do well with LB's..but needed help with big DT's...
Ryan Kalil will go early in the second round but I dont think we will take a Center that early....but Leroy Harris from North Carolina St...may fit our system better anyway...He is smart and powerful... 6'3 300...and should be available in the third or fourth rounds...

SteelerFanInCA
02-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all the hardwork Jeff. Here's to a happy and healthy retirement. :cheers:

SteelerFanInCA
02-02-2007, 12:48 PM
I will miss good ol #64...... he had a good run for us....

Now that Jeff has received his due from me........

All together now...HOORAY FOR CAP SPACE!!!!!!!!!

How much Cap space does it actually free up?

Haiku_Dirtt
02-02-2007, 12:49 PM
The play that I'll remember Hartings for the most (for now) is Parker's XL 75-yard TD run.

Faneca and Hartings were the clinicians. :helmet:

mattss
02-02-2007, 07:26 PM
How much Cap space does it actually free up?

$4.5 mil I believe

Stang909
02-02-2007, 09:06 PM
thanks for the memories Jeff but now this means we need to draft Doug Datish, The Ohio State University, and from Howland, OH. only about an hour and a half from Pittsburgh

Steeldude
02-03-2007, 06:57 AM
great news. now if the steelers would finally cut porter the team's cap would look $5+ million better :)

SteelersTilIDie
02-03-2007, 01:27 PM
His knees are bone on bone. He was a great player, but will struggle in life after football because he will hardly be able to move. He will need surgery to repair his knees, because there is practically no cartilage in them.

polamalufan43
02-03-2007, 03:19 PM
His knees are bone on bone. He was a great player, but will struggle in life after football because he will hardly be able to move. He will need surgery to repair his knees, because there is practically no cartilage in them.

I agree. At least he has a good reason to retire.
~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Elvis
02-04-2007, 06:03 AM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: Jeff Hartings
To a man that came to us for the Michigan team in Detroit. This man among boys in Detroit decided to come to a winner and take over one of the greatest traditions in playing in the NFL... playin' center for the organization known for Pro Bowl centers for years and years. I know that we all gather around the tv almost every sunday morning and just cant wait for kickoff time to see our favorite team just whoop some butt today right? Well..these gentlemen get out on that field and give it their all every time on the field, and we get mad or disgusted with a player that asks for all these big $$$$$. But just like the Bus last year you see how players must deal with their after football lives, it is sad that each player is expected to put in 10-15 years and then have to live in such pain the rest of their lives. Cant get down and play with their children or run in the back yard with their grandchildren. We take these things so many times in our life time for granted.. dont we.. We Love You Mr.Hartings and I wish you well in all that your life has remaining..God Bless You:helmet:

83-Steelers-43
02-05-2007, 10:06 AM
It's official: Hartings retires from Steelers
Monday, February 05, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As expected, Steelers center Jeff Hartings officially announced his retirement from the team today.

Hartings, who succeeded Dermontti Dawson at a position that has been the team's most stable and successful for the past four decades, told his fellow offensive linemen shortly after the season ended that he planned to retire.

Hartings ends an 11-year playing career with two teams at two positions. He began as a guard after the Detroit Lions drafted him in the first round from Penn State in 1996. He switched to center, a position he had never played, when he signed with the Steelers in 2001 as an unrestricted free agent.

Hartings started all but six games over the past six seasons at center despite chronic problems and soreness with his knees because of a loss of cartilage.

"Jeff Hartings embraced switching to a new position when he joined the Steelers, and continued our team's legacy of outstanding players at the center position," said Steelers President Art Rooney II. "He was highly respected throughout our entire organization for being a tremendous role model both on and off the field."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07036/759592-100.stm

memphissteelergirl
02-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks, Jeff! You are one of the best! You gave your all for the B&G and the Steeler faithful love ya!! :tt02:

floodcitygirl
02-05-2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks and congrats. I hope your body is able to heal and wish you much success in your future endeavors. :tt02:

Stang909
02-05-2007, 01:39 PM
great news. now if the steelers would finally cut porter the team's cap would look $5+ million better :)

cut porter you have got to be kidding me he is way to good of a player and energetic player to cut :banging:

polamalufan43
02-05-2007, 01:57 PM
cut porter you have got to be kidding me he is way to good of a player and energetic player to cut :banging:

Read about five of the other threads on this site and you will see that others think differently. Personally, I would like to see him stay, but then there are the issues of the CAP and his overall performance, so that view of mine may change.

Anyway... Congrats Hartings and good luck. Thanks for the great years.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

klick81
02-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks for everything Jeff!!!