PDA

View Full Version : Bettis

Stillers#1
01-03-2007, 09:28 PM
I have seen several people in this forum say Bettis was an FA when he came to us. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't he a draft day trade?

PisnNapalm
01-03-2007, 09:30 PM
From Wikipedia::

"Bettis was traded to Pittsburgh that summer (1996) with a third round draft pick in exchange for a second round pick in 1996 and a fourth round draft pick in 1997"

NV STEELERS 723
01-03-2007, 10:02 PM
And the RAms are still kicking themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Yes........I believe the Rams said that Bettis had an attitude problem and his character was questionable.......

?????
Could they be more wrong?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Yep yep Jerome was a Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan :sofunny: :sofunny:

MACH1
01-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Yes........I believe the Rams said that Bettis had an attitude problem and his character was questionable.......

?????

They also said he had a poor work habit.. :blah: :blah:

Steel Pit
01-04-2007, 01:03 AM
The Rams, in a nut shell, indicated that Bettis was LAZY! He did put on quite a few pounds during his tenure with the Steelers so there may have been a little truth to the Rams allegation. The Rams had their sights fixed on Lawrence Phillips, RB out of Nebraska. What a freaking BUST he wound up being.

But anyway, had the Steelers and Rams not made the trade, the Steelers were set on using their 1st round pick to draft Mike Alstott out of Purdue. I still wish that we would have gotten Alstott instead of Bettis. That's just my opinion but you have to admit, Alstott has had some hellacious runs during his career. That battering ram would have looked good in the black and gold.:helmet:

PisnNapalm
01-04-2007, 05:59 AM
Yes Alstott would have made a fine Steeler. I enjoy watching him run.

MACH1
01-04-2007, 09:06 AM
The Rams, in a nut shell, indicated that Bettis was LAZY! He did put on quite a few pounds during his tenure with the Steelers so there may have been a little truth to the Rams allegation. The Rams had their sights fixed on Lawrence Phillips, RB out of Nebraska. What a freaking BUST he wound up being.

But anyway, had the Steelers and Rams not made the trade, the Steelers were set on using their 1st round pick to draft Mike Alstott out of Purdue. I still wish that we would have gotten Alstott instead of Bettis. That's just my opinion but you have to admit, Alstott has had some hellacious runs during his career. That battering ram would have looked good in the black and gold.:helmet:

Alstott would've been nice but he's no future HOFer.

PisnNapalm
01-04-2007, 09:15 AM

You dont' know what he'd have been like running for the Steelers. We'll never know. Don't get me wrong... I love that Bettis came to Pittsburgh. He also brought leadership to the locker room.

vasteeler
01-04-2007, 12:29 PM

Alstott instead of Bettis are you high?:dang:

Haiku_Dirtt
01-04-2007, 01:54 PM
And the RAms are still kicking themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doubt it.

You're talking about an organization that put Erik Dickerson out to pasture like a fractured thoroughbred. :dang:

Here's to history repeating. How nice would Steven Jackson look in Black and Gold?

polamalufan43
01-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Well, I want to publically thank the Rams for their generous contibution to the Steelers future HOF history.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

steelcity58
01-04-2007, 02:09 PM
I still wish that we would have gotten Alstott instead of Bettis. That's just my opinion but you have to admit, Alstott has had some hellacious runs during his career. That battering ram would have looked good in the black and gold.:helmet:
You are joking right?

Alstott is not half the back that "The Bus" was. Not even an 1/8...

Jerome was a 1,000+ yard rusher year in and year out, was a great locker room leader and was the biggest motivation factor in the Steelers winning the SB last year.

Alstott is not even in the same league as Bettis...PERIOD.

polamalufan43
01-04-2007, 02:09 PM
You are joking right?

Jerome was a 1,000+ yard rusher year in and year out, was a great locker room leader and was the biggest motivation factor in the Steelers winning the SB last year.

So true, :jammin:

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Steel Pit
01-05-2007, 03:12 AM
You are joking right?

No I'm not joking. Bettis was a 1000 yard rusher, so what? 1000 yards isn't saying much anymore. That's a typically average season for a RB. The 72 Dolphins, 76 Steelers and 85 Browns had TWO 1000 yards rushers in the same season.

As for Alstott not being half the back that Bettis was I'll just say that's your opinion. You won't convince me into believing that. Alstott received about ONE EIGHTH of the carry opportunities that Bettis received throughout his career. Bettis was fortunate that Cowher continued to feed him the ball when his yards per carry average was barely above 2 yards in his final 6 seasons. Have you forgotten that Bettis LOST his starting job to Amos Zereoue in 2003? WHO? Amos Zereoue! Bettis' decline began in 2002. He should have been released about 4 years before he retired.

There were a couple of seasons in which I respected Bettis as a back but for the most part I felt that he was a momentum killer. Cowher had way too much faith in his abilities to make those 3rd and 2 runs. I attended the 2001 AFC Championship game. Bettis ABSOLUTELY laid a freaking egg in that game. The Patriots chewed his big butt up and spit him out. Oh and how we forget about the fumble against the Colts in last years playoff game. He nearly cost us everything.

The comment in reference to Bettis being a great locker room leader I will not respond to. I've never been in the Steelers locker room to witness Bettis and I will venture to say that you haven't either.

I have my opinion of Bettis and you have yours. My opinion isn't going to change....PERIOD.................................. ........................

Justin Otstott
01-05-2007, 10:39 AM
I LOVE BETTIS PERIOD LMAO! I am sorry I would have wanted bettis over Mike.....blah I just got me a bettis Jersey with the SB XL logo on it stitched hahaha...now i gotta find Bettis so he can sign it

Stillers#1
01-05-2007, 11:12 AM
No I'm not joking. Bettis was a 1000 yard rusher, so what? 1000 yards isn't saying much anymore. That's a typically average season for a RB. The 72 Dolphins, 76 Steelers and 85 Browns had TWO 1000 yards rushers in the same season.

Maybe 1,000 yards in a season is average. 13,662 yards is not too average if you ask me. Bettis may have declined in '02, but he came up big later in his career when needed. You talk about his fumbles? 37 in 12 years. 3 fumbles a year, when you average 290 carries a year is pretty damn good if you ask me. His fumble was a fluke. Alstott on the other hand, has never had a 1,000 yard season (averaging 3.7 a carry which is .2 less than Bettis). Alstott had 2120 less carries than Bettis over his 10 year career, not 12 like Bettis. The only thing Alstott had on Bettis was catching the football. Which has never been a big factor in our offense.

Wanting Alstott over Bettis is asinine.

ARKIESTEEL
01-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Cant even guess how we are on this topic but that dude couldnt carry Bettis's jock strap

Btrice
01-05-2007, 11:18 AM
I LOVE BETTIS PERIOD LMAO! I am sorry I would have wanted bettis over Mike.....blah I just got me a bettis Jersey with the SB XL logo on it stitched hahaha...now i gotta find Bettis so he can sign it

Bettis is my second favorite Steeler of all time (behind Franco). I also just picked up the authentic game jersey of his with the SBXL patch. These things are so much nicer than the replicas. Unfortuneatly I dont have any Franco gear except a childs jersey-like T-shirt I had as a kid.

I still cross my fingers that the Bus will leave TV and take a role with the Steelers in the future, but as much as working with Chris Collinsworthless might be as big a nightmare as I think it would be, I dont see him giving up the green.

sumo
01-05-2007, 11:53 AM

?????

Players have to fit a system - as much as everybody around here worships Jerome - he should be just as grateful to the Steelers - his skills fit perfectly with our offense -- look at his stats the year before he came to us - he had the worst year of his career and he was unhappy - the Rams were anxious to unload him...it worked out for both teams

sumo
01-05-2007, 12:01 PM
You are joking right?

I love Bettis - but you don't know how Alstott would have done as a Steeler - IMHO, If Bettis had stayed with the Rams - his career would have been over in a couple of years - the Steelers saved his career - Alstott is just a different runner - but I think we are a lot like the Broncos - just about anybody with talent you plug into our system will be a 1000 yard rusher ...

Stlrs4Life
01-05-2007, 04:16 PM

As for Alstott not being half the back that Bettis was I'll just say that's your opinion. You won't convince me into believing that. Alstott received about ONE EIGHTH of the carry opportunities that Bettis received throughout his career. Bettis was fortunate that Cowher continued to feed him the ball when his yards per carry average was barely above 2 yards in his final 6 seasons. Have you forgotten that Bettis LOST his starting job to Amos Zereoue in 2003? WHO? Amos Zereoue! Bettis' decline began in 2002. He should have been released about 4 years before he retired.

There were a couple of seasons in which I respected Bettis as a back but for the most part I felt that he was a momentum killer. Cowher had way too much faith in his abilities to make those 3rd and 2 runs. I attended the 2001 AFC Championship game. Bettis ABSOLUTELY laid a freaking egg in that game. The Patriots chewed his big butt up and spit him out. Oh and how we forget about the fumble against the Colts in last years playoff game. He nearly cost us everything.

The comment in reference to Bettis being a great locker room leader I will not respond to. I've never been in the Steelers locker room to witness Bettis and I will venture to say that you haven't either.

I have my opinion of Bettis and you have yours. My opinion isn't going to change....PERIOD.................................. ........................

Agree with some of your opinon. But would add that Bettis was coming off an injuury for that AFC Championship game also. He probably shouldn't have played that game now that I look back.

kellyg77
01-05-2007, 04:35 PM
He should have been released about 4 years before he retired.If Bettis was washed up that long ago, how do you explain his 101 yard, 2TD performance against the Bears last season? A game in which he RAN OVER the Defensive Player of the Year?

Steel Pit
01-08-2007, 01:32 AM
If Bettis was washed up that long ago, how do you explain his 101 yard, 2TD performance against the Bears last season? A game in which he RAN OVER the Defensive Player of the Year?

I'll explain it by saying that the field conditions (SNOW) contributed greatly to his performance on that given Sunday. Certain RB's play great on sloppy field conditions and Bettis is obviously one of them. It's too bad that mother nature didn't pour some snow onto Pittsburgh for the AFC Championship games of '97, '01, and '05.

I studied Bettis' running for many years and determined that he needed 3 forward steps in order to be effective as a runner. When he was able to get those 3 steps he was pretty damn dominant, and that's coming from a guy who doesn't care for Bettis. My problem is that Bettis was rarely able to get those 3 forward steps. He was either to slow to hit the hole or he spent to much time sidestepping in the backfield waiting for some gigantic hole to open. Over the years I've seen Bettis tackled NUMEROUS times at the line of scrimmage or in the backfield by a defender who simply either grabbed or tapped the top of his foot.

Back to your reference of the Chicago game. I believe that most NFL players are not accustomed to playing on sloppy field conditions and it's quite evident and even humerous when an NFL game is played on a sloppy field. Sloppy field conditions account for about 75% of NFL Football Follies. As mentioned earlier, Bettis is able to play at a high level on a sloppy field. Most defenders will lose at least a step therefore it levels the playing field for a "Slow Mudder" such as Bettis.

In closing I want to say that I respect everyones opinion of Steelers players past and present. To each his own. I totally loved Greg Lloyd as a Steeler and I realize that many of you do not. That's fine, I can respect that.

Preacher
01-08-2007, 02:59 AM
Players have to fit a system - as much as everybody around here worships Jerome - he should be just as grateful to the Steelers - his skills fit perfectly with our offense -- look at his stats the year before he came to us - he had the worst year of his career and he was unhappy - the Rams were anxious to unload him...it worked out for both teams

You know, that really is an honest assessment.

However, I do remember when Bettis would drag two and three players for 3 to 5 yards on every play. I remember a buddy of mine watching the game and just saying...WOW!

MJ5150
01-08-2007, 03:35 AM

At this point, true. It would be good to point out that Alstott has never played RB in the NFL for any length of time. He got the royal screw job from Gruden when he arrived at TB. Gruden barely gave him the ball. I don't think Alstott was a HOF'er as a Buc anyway, just sad to see how Gruden hosed him.

Was Bettis laying the groundwork for a HOF career before he came to Pittsburgh? It is hard to tell. He came to us after his third year with a bad reputation. I can still remember when we got him in the trade. Steleers Fever was not around then, but a lot of people were critical of the deal. His rookie season was awesome, but after that the stats started going down.

The stats are great for Jerome, but I think it is his attitude that gets him into the HOF. How many times can we remember Jerome coming into the season as the #2 RB, only to regain his starting role shortly after the season got under way. Such an excellent team player he was. I still miss him to this day.

-Mike

Steel Pit
01-08-2007, 05:01 AM
At this point, true. It would be good to point out that Alstott has never played RB in the NFL for any length of time. He got the royal screw job from Gruden when he arrived at TB. Gruden barely gave him the ball. I don't think Alstott was a HOF'er as a Buc anyway, just sad to see how Gruden hosed him.

Was Bettis laying the groundwork for a HOF career before he came to Pittsburgh? It is hard to tell. He came to us after his third year with a bad reputation. I can still remember when we got him in the trade. Steleers Fever was not around then, but a lot of people were critical of the deal. His rookie season was awesome, but after that the stats started going down.

The stats are great for Jerome, but I think it is his attitude that gets him into the HOF. How many times can we remember Jerome coming into the season as the #2 RB, only to regain his starting role shortly after the season got under way. Such an excellent team player he was. I still miss him to this day.

-Mike

Good job Mike, I can live with your assessment. As I stated in another reply, there were a couple of years in which I respected Bettis as our RB. He did have a couple of great years with us. I'm just not one, and I've seen many, that believe that Bettis was some big ole awesome Hall of Fame RB. During his tenure with the Steelers I can think of about 5 games that I felt that Bettis played AWESOME in.