PDA

View Full Version : drafting Anthony Smith with our 2nd pick

tony hipchest
01-04-2007, 05:36 PM
of course this was a third round pick. we gave up our second to move up and get holmes. in retrospect was this an excellent trade? maybe we wouldve drafted smith with our 2nd pick, as it was anyways and we didnt have to possible settle for the 2nd or 3rd highest reated wr on our charts.

(i remember alot thinking darnell bing, jason allen or ko simpson would be our first if not second round pick.)

im gonna say it was a hell of a deal and could possibly make up for all the other picks that didnt make the team.

what do you think? was smith targeted with our 2nd all along (which made it easy to trade down to get him)

SCSTILLER
01-04-2007, 07:12 PM
I don't know if Smith was targeted or we just got lucky in the way the players were plucked off the draft board, but either way I am extremely happy we got him! The way he hits, that hit on TJ (I think it was TJ) in the Bungles game on the deep pass was IMO the hit of the season! Anybody have a video of that hit? I am excited to see him and Troy in the secondary next year, the will wreak havoc on wide receivers!!!!

SteelerMurf
01-04-2007, 10:11 PM
I don't know if Smith was targeted or we just got lucky in the way the players were plucked off the draft board, but either way I am extremely happy we got him! The way he hits, that hit on TJ (I think it was TJ) in the Bungles game on the deep pass was IMO the hit of the season! Anybody have a video of that hit? I am excited to see him and Troy in the secondary next year, the will wreak havoc on wide receivers!!!!

Steelers knew other teams did not grade him out well cause of his horrible 40 time. It was a gamble, but there were a lot of other safeties there to take even if Smith was gone.

plaqueminesown
01-05-2007, 12:24 AM
actually the steelers indeed target anthony but they felt that a second round pick was too high mean joe greene whos actually a scout of ours actually had him as the 4th best safety in the draft period...deciding not to draft....harper, bing, bullocks, peprah, blue, etc all of whom had better careers than anthony werent better overall players at that position and also they traded down to get willie reid whom also alot of people targeted as a kick returner, and punt returner as fist reported by suzie kolbert during the draft.....

In Cowher We Trust
01-06-2007, 07:45 PM
it was a good deal

WWIIOwheelz
01-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Here's a link to that hit (http://youtube.com/watch?v=0imu31yP2Fw)

He's the same guy LeBeau & Cowher had to get on for his showboating after an interception the week before, wasn't he?

In any case, I didn't like the showboating, but that hit was BRUTAL, and he got up happy about it. :D

Ryan Clark impressed me with some hard hitting this season as well

Haiku_Dirtt
01-07-2007, 02:15 AM
Smith. He's a BEAUTY.

Kevin Colbert is showing what horses are permitted.

Willie Colon is now on the stage. And rookie already spent 15 yards proving that the NYC is represented in Steel Town. He may have f**ked up with that flag but perhaps the risk-reward ratio is a great long bet. I'm not saying Mean Joe. Not D. But would he?

Side Bar...Willie Reid is a factor I'd like to know more about because his preseason "glimpes" were not unlike Parker's going into a meaningless Bills game a few years back. Can this cat stay healthy?

This may be the most important draft in 'recent' Steeler history.

Preacher
01-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Smith. He's a BEAUTY.

Kevin Colbert is showing what horses are permitted.

Willie Colon is now on the stage. And rookie already spent 15 yards proving that the NYC is represented in Steel Town. He may have f**ked up with that flag but perhaps the risk-reward ratio is a great long bet. I'm not saying Mean Joe. Not D. But would he?

Side Bar...Willie Reid is a factor I'd like to know more about because his preseason "glimpes" were not unlike Parker's going into a meaningless Bills game a few years back. Can this cat stay healthy?

This may be the most important draft in 'recent' Steeler history.

You know... you may be right. we may have 4 game changing players... Wow... what a draft that would be.

OneForTheToe
01-07-2007, 11:38 PM
agreed, the 2006 draft will end up being a very good draft. Now, if we can follow that up in 2007 .......

tony hipchest
01-07-2007, 11:42 PM
agreed, the 2006 draft will end up being a very good draft. Now, if we can follow that up in 2007 .......what did we have? 10 picks? 2 will be starters. about 5 have been cut. we better make hay with the 3 back ups we selected for it to be good.

OneForTheToe
01-08-2007, 12:41 AM
what did we have? 10 picks? 2 will be starters. about 5 have been cut. we better make hay with the 3 back ups we selected for it to be good.

I guess it comes down to expectations. For me, if you get three impact players in a draft that's a great draft, regardless of what happens to the rest - especially if you just won the Super Bowl.

Preacher
01-08-2007, 02:50 AM
The key is that we may have picked up three starters in that draft... within a year or two fo the draft. That is not bad.

bradness113
01-08-2007, 10:48 AM
I cant wait to see our secondary next year w/ a healthy Polamalu and smarter Smith.

clevestinks
01-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Agreed that this was a good deal, I think next year the dividens will really payoff

tony hipchest
01-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Agreed that this was a good deal, I think next year the dividens will really payoffwe gave up our 1st, 2nd, and 4th for the giants 1st and 3rd.

since we were probably targeting a. smith with our 2nd pick anyways, all we really gave up was a 4th rounder to move up about 8 spots in the 1st round. if thats the case it was an excellent deal with great value.

that was good insight from plaqueminesown that joe green had him ranked as the 4th best safety if that too, is the case.

Elvis
01-08-2007, 05:02 PM
:tt02: Eventually Smith will be our starting FS and that makes this a great deal in my mind... I hope that we are as successful this year in the draft as we was this past year..:wave:

Santonio4
01-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Eventually he will be our starter.He lays the wood.He just needs to learn how to read a qb better, he will be fine.

Steeldude
01-12-2007, 09:53 AM
of course this was a third round pick. we gave up our second to move up and get holmes. in retrospect was this an excellent trade? maybe we wouldve drafted smith with our 2nd pick, as it was anyways and we didnt have to possible settle for the 2nd or 3rd highest reated wr on our charts.

(i remember alot thinking darnell bing, jason allen or ko simpson would be our first if not second round pick.)

im gonna say it was a hell of a deal and could possibly make up for all the other picks that didnt make the team.

what do you think? was smith targeted with our 2nd all along (which made it easy to trade down to get him)

if he keeps his head on straight during games and learns the defense he could be good. right now he seems to be more interested with himself than the team. i doubt he will start next season. well at least the first few weeks he won't start.

coachspeak33
01-12-2007, 10:05 AM
hopefully he will start because
a. he is ready
b. the new HC doesnt let him rot on the bench because he isnt a veteren

This would be a refreshing concept

Elvis
01-12-2007, 04:28 PM
:helmet: If he plays well enough in the spring and has another good pre season, then he deserves to get alot of playing time. Clark played decently in his first year in our schemes so dont count him out either.. but we didnt draft Smith that early to let him sit on the bench too long..:wave:

tony hipchest
01-12-2007, 04:56 PM
:mg: :helmet: If he plays well enough in the spring and has another good pre season, then he deserves to get alot of playing time. Clark played decently in his first year in our schemes so dont count him out either.. but we didnt draft Smith that early to let him sit on the bench too long..:wave:

i agree. whats the point in drafting players high if were not gonna play them. if we are not gonna use smith we should trade him to the cowboys for another 2nd pick that we will not use. might as well get SOME value out of him before his contract is up and he bolts for a bigger payday.

Showdaddeee
01-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Very solid draft pick. Hopeefully we can do the same this year, we'll really need it to keep out team on the younger side of things.

Preacher
01-13-2007, 10:11 PM
if he keeps his head on straight during games and learns the defense he could be good. right now he seems to be more interested with himself than the team. i doubt he will start next season. well at least the first few weeks he won't start.

I have no idea where you pick that idea from. He made a rookie mistake highstepping. That ain't happening again.

He will probably be our starter next year, with rian Clark as our backup.

revefsreleets
11-02-2009, 03:10 PM
we gave up our 1st, 2nd, and 4th for the giants 1st and 3rd.

since we were probably targeting a. smith with our 2nd pick anyways, all we really gave up was a 4th rounder to move up about 8 spots in the 1st round. if thats the case it was an excellent deal with great value.

that was good insight from plaqueminesown that joe green had him ranked as the 4th best safety if that too, is the case.

Anthony Smith was targeted as our second pick and you liked that?

Wait, i though you busted me for liking Smith early?

No?

Huh?

SteelersFever
11-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Thread locked. It's almost 3 years old.