PDA

View Full Version : Shell is Gone

83-Steelers-43
01-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Source: Shell set to depart as Raiders' head coach
By Michael Smith
ESPN.com

Oakland coach Art Shell is scheduled to meet with his staff at 2 p.m. ET Friday to inform them that he's done as the Raiders' coach, a team sorce told ESPN.com. Shell and owner Al Davis met for most of the day Thursday, but at this point, it is unclear whether Shell is resigning or is being fired.

One of the early favorites to replace Shell is defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2720610

tony hipchest
01-04-2007, 09:27 PM
rob ryan seems to be a hot commodity but can someone remind me when shell returned to the nfl and why?

(i cant believe the sb champs lost to this trainwreck)

83-Steelers-43
01-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Memories.............http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=5372&highlight=Shell

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the link to the Shell hiring thread - let's see how this quote from that thread plays out in the next several weeks:

"I went out there and had a really good visit with Mr. Davis," Whisenhunt said by telephone, "and everything was very positive. But after being at that rally (on Tuesday) with 250,000 people I felt like my heart was really here in Pittsburgh."

NV STEELERS 723
01-05-2007, 01:53 AM
Raiders should hire Jim Plunkett as head coach...Marcus Allen as Def Cord.... LMAO...sorry...I'm in a mood right now!!!!

sumo
01-05-2007, 02:18 AM
I would be willing to pay big money to anyone who can convince me that Shell wrote anything football related on his clipboard this year - I know he was always writing on his clipbaord but I don't think it had antyhing to do with football - I think it was something like:

pick up box of twinkies
turn in Al Davis' perscription for anti-psychotic meds
hire Ted Hendricks to kick Jerry Porter's ass
quart of ice cream
watch tape of Super Bowl 11 for 500th time

stlrtruck
01-05-2007, 08:03 AM
But it's not even Art Shell's fault. If anything, he was never given the right people to succeed there. Al Davis has ruined that team and it doesn't matter who were to coach that team.

silver & black
01-05-2007, 05:06 PM
I would be willing to pay big money to anyone who can convince me that Shell wrote anything football related on his clipboard this year - I know he was always writing on his clipbaord but I don't think it had antyhing to do with football - I think it was something like:

pick up box of twinkies
turn in Al Davis' perscription for anti-psychotic meds
hire Ted Hendricks to kick Jerry Porter's ass
quart of ice cream
watch tape of Super Bowl 11 for 500th time

Lol... thats just about what all of us Raider fans thought too.

Big D
01-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Lol... thats just about what all of us Raider fans thought too.

so are you one of those raider fans that is praying for petrino or you hoping for Jim Mora

silver & black
01-05-2007, 05:26 PM
But it's not even Art Shell's fault. If anything, he was never given the right people to succeed there. Al Davis has ruined that team and it doesn't matter who were to coach that team.

Obviously, that isn't true. Gruden seemed to do ok in Oakland.

What part of this season wasn't Art Shell's fault? Art Shell was the guy that hired Tom Walsh as OC... not Al Davis. Art Shell was the guy that couldn't/wouldn't put his grudge with Jerry Porter aside, for the good of the team... not Al Davis. Art Shell brought in Jackie Slater and Irv Eatman as O line coaches, both pro bowl players. Art Shell is a pro bowl, HOF player with 2 Superbowls under his belt... how could the O line possibly regress to be worse than it was last year under this kind of tutalege? I guess that's Al's fault too?

How is it that J. Porter and A. Walter are disciplined for their remarks against Tom Walsh and the pathetic, high school offense they were using, but Randy Moss was allowed to keep playing half assed football and never received so much as a slap on the wrist for his comments and actions? How is it that Art Shell preached about keeping team business in house, then runs off at the mouth about being back stabbed by someone inside the organization, to the media?

Please, explain how this season wasn't Art Shell's fault.

No, Al Davis isn't faultless in this... he hired Art Shell.

Art Shell... GREAT player, loyal Raider.... HORRIBLE coach.

silver & black
01-05-2007, 05:32 PM
so are you one of those raider fans that is praying for petrino or you hoping for Jim Mora

Honestly, at this point, either will work for me. I seriously doubt that Patrino will be the coach, but you never know. Rob Ryan is high on the list too, and there are a couple other names that are being mentioned. I can't say who right now, because it is information from RF.net from our inside guy that was posted in the premium section. As soon as it gets to the public forum, I can say who they are.

sumo
01-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Honestly, at this point, either will work for me. I seriously doubt that Patrino will be the coach, but you never know. Rob Ryan is high on the list too, and there are a couple other names that are being mentioned. I can't say who right now, because it is information from RF.net from our inside guy that was posted in the premium section. As soon as it gets to the public forum, I can say who they are.

you don'y have to say - I know Denny Green is at the top of your list!

silver & black
01-05-2007, 06:10 PM
you don'y have to say - I know Denny Green is at the top of your list!

Lol... I'll pass! I don't think he would even consider the job. He and Al are friends... I think he would prefer to keep it that way. :sofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
01-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Obviously, that isn't true. Gruden seemed to do ok in Oakland.

What part of this season wasn't Art Shell's fault? Art Shell was the guy that hired Tom Walsh as OC... not Al Davis. Art Shell was the guy that couldn't/wouldn't put his grudge with Jerry Porter aside, for the good of the team... not Al Davis. Art Shell brought in Jackie Slater and Irv Eatman as O line coaches, both pro bowl players. Art Shell is a pro bowl, HOF player with 2 Superbowls under his belt... how could the O line possibly regress to be worse than it was last year under this kind of tutalege? I guess that's Al's fault too?

How is it that J. Porter and A. Walter are disciplined for their remarks against Tom Walsh and the pathetic, high school offense they were using, but Randy Moss was allowed to keep playing half assed football and never received so much as a slap on the wrist for his comments and actions? How is it that Art Shell preached about keeping team business in house, then runs off at the mouth about being back stabbed by someone inside the organization, to the media?

Please, explain how this season wasn't Art Shell's fault.
No, Al Davis isn't faultless in this... he hired Art Shell.

Art Shell... GREAT player, loyal Raider.... HORRIBLE coach. it's amazing how one horrible season can change an oppinion. i remember when al rehired shell you defended his coaching ability and had confidence that art would right the ship....:shake01:

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
and there's whats keeping the raiders from being the powerhouse it once was....davis needs to let the coaches do the coaching.

Well... the Raiders were the powerhouse they once were, by playing the verticle game.

I don't disagree with you about Al letting the coaches coach. When Gruden was coach, he basicaly did what he wanted. He had a spine, though... something our last two coaches lacked. Al will always have input as to how things are done but, if the coach feels strongly about something, Al goes with it. I think Art Shell has the backbone to stand up to Al and say, "look, this is what I want."

I won't say that the Raiders are going to go to the play offs this year but, I think they are on the right track, and probably will contend in the near future.

Big D
01-05-2007, 06:13 PM
it's amazing how one horrible season can change an oppinion. i remember when al rehired shell you defended his coaching ability and had confidence that art would right the ship....:shake01:

I was just reading that thread. Very interesting reading material

fansince'76
01-05-2007, 06:13 PM

I find it amazing that there were people out there who actually wondered why Whiz turned down that gig. Because of Al Davis, the Raiders HC job is probably the worst in the NFL.

Big D
01-05-2007, 06:14 PM
I find it amazing that there were people out there who actually wondered why Whiz turned down that gig. Because of Al Davis, the Raiders HC job is probably the worst in the NFL.

I couldnt agree with you more. You could hire Bill Belichick and even he couldnt turn that train wreck around. Al needs to quit meddling

silver & black
01-05-2007, 06:25 PM
it's amazing how one horrible season can change an oppinion. i remember when al rehired shell you defended his coaching ability and had confidence that art would right the ship....:shake01:

You are absolutely right... I did. Shell did take us to the playoffs three times. He had a winning record in his first tenure. I really did think that he was what the Raiders needed at the time... I was wrong. I don't have a problem with being wrong, or admitting it.

There were quite a few Raider fans that were just as optimistic as I was, and just as wrong.

After the Superbowl hangover from hell that we are still not over, it becomes easy to grasp at straws and see the hope in almost anything. That is a mistake I will not make this time around. This time, I'm from Missouri... SHOW ME! :cheers:

silver & black
01-05-2007, 06:29 PM
I couldnt agree with you more. You could hire Bill Belichick and even he couldnt turn that train wreck around. Al needs to quit meddling

How does one turn down something that was never offered?

Al never offered him the job.

There are a lot of us Raider fans that agree with you about Al Davis' meddling. The one thing I would say though, is... Al Davis has been to 5 Superbowls and won 3 of them, doing it his way (meddling)... you can't argue with success, altough I do agree its time to move into the 21st century.

MasterOfPuppets
01-05-2007, 06:30 PM
You are absolutely right... I did. Shell did take us to the playoffs three times. He had a winning record in his first tenure. I really did think that he was what the Raiders needed at the time... I was wrong. I don't have a problem with being wrong, or admitting it.

There were quite a few Raider fans that were just as optimistic as I was, and just as wrong.

After the Superbowl hangover from hell that we are still not over, it becomes easy to grasp at straws and see the hope in almost anything. That is a mistake I will not make this time around. This time, I'm from Missouri... SHOW ME! :cheers:yeah,i know what you meen. i know a few raider fans that were just giddy as hell over signing moss...now they absolutly hate him...:banging:

MasterOfPuppets
01-05-2007, 06:33 PM
soooo silver....do you go with quinn,or trade down and draft 10 o-linemen?

tony hipchest
01-05-2007, 06:41 PM
soooo silver....do you go with quinn,or trade down and draft 10 o-linemen?the LSU qb seems to have the makings (and the arm) to be a raider qb. brady quinn would fit in there about as well as joey "the piano man" harrington.

no sense in trying to fit a square peg in a round hole with the #1 overall pick.

silver & black
01-05-2007, 06:56 PM
soooo silver....do you go with quinn,or trade down and draft 10 o-linemen?

Thats the $64,000 question. I would rather trade down and get more picks. We have too many needs for any one player, be it Quinn, Peterson, or what ever popular draftee of the week it might be, to have any impact on this team.

We can still probably get a lesser commodity in the second or third round without losing much quality. Troy Smith... Marshawn Lynch???

We already have projects at O line... Booth, MacQuistan, Hulsey (and IMO...Gallery)... we need to get a couple of stud O linemen in FA. We need to draft a couple of solid DT's, or find at least one in FA... Sapp isn't going to play much longer, plus we need to be able to stuff the run... that is what kept the Raiders from being a truely great D this year. The secondary is solid, plus we have Darnell Bing coming back from injury next year.

The focus absolutely has to be on offense... if we can just field even a mediochre offense, we can go places with the D we have. Not saying playoffs, but we could win some games.

Its going to be an interesting off season for the Raiders... I hope the last interesteing one for a while. I would welcome a ho hum one about now. :sofunny:

silver & black
01-05-2007, 07:03 PM
the LSU qb seems to have the makings (and the arm) to be a raider qb. brady quinn would fit in there about as well as joey "the piano man" harrington.

no sense in trying to fit a square peg in a round hole with the #1 overall pick.

Thank you! I don't want him... for the exact reason you gave. You're right, Jamarcus Russell would fit right in... he's big and has a strong, accurate arm. at 6'6" and 260 lbs. he would be a handfull to sack. :sofunny:

Hines0wnz
01-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Why would anyone want to coach the Raiders when the HC office has a revolving door into it?

silver & black
01-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Why would anyone want to coach the Raiders when the HC office has a revolving door into it?

Because there are only 32 of those jobs in the world... if you want to be a HC in the NFL, you can take whats available, or you can wait and see if you ever get another chance... simple as that.

The Raiders job wouldn't be a revolving door if the guys that held the job were any good at it. Joe Bugle, Mike white, Bill Callahan, Art Shell??? The Raiders have only had three good coaches since coming to the league in 1960... John Madden, Tom Flores and John Gruden.

You Steeler fans are kind of spoiled compared to the rest of the fans around the country. You have been fortunate to have two very good coaches for the past 23 years. I'm sure if the Raiders were to find a coach of the caliber of Knoll or Cower, they would keep him around for a while.

Hines0wnz
01-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Because there are only 32 of those jobs in the world... if you want to be a HC in the NFL, you can take whats available, or you can wait and see if you ever get another chance... simple as that.

The Raiders job wouldn't be a revolving door if the guys that held the job were any good at it. Joe Bugle, Mike white, Bill Callahan, Art Shell??? The Raiders have only had three good coaches since coming to the league in 1960... John Madden, Tom Flores and John Gruden.

You Steeler fans are kind of spoiled compared to the rest of the fans around the country. You have been fortunate to have two very good coaches for the past 23 years. I'm sure if the Raiders were to find a coach of the caliber of Knoll or Cower, they would keep him around for a while.

You dont think Al Davis has anything to do with it? :idea:

silver & black
01-06-2007, 08:55 PM
You dont think Al Davis has anything to do with it? :idea:

Sure he does, but thats another issue. You won't get any argument from me, or any other Raider fans, that Al Davis needs to give a lot more controll to his HC.

All of us Raider fans understand that because of Al Davis and his antiquated ways, it will be hard to get a quality coach in Oakland. All we can do is hope that after the last 4 years, he has had his eyes opened, and is willing to relinquish some power to the next guy to take the HC job.... Raider fans should be given some kind of award for the extra hardship of being a Raider fan! :sofunny:

tony hipchest
01-06-2007, 09:00 PM

*ahem* we had NOLL for 23 years, and cowher for an additional 15. (or something like that) :flap:

not to be picky about it or anything :chuckle:

silver & black
01-06-2007, 09:23 PM
*ahem* we had NOLL for 23 years, and cowher for an additional 15. (or something like that) :flap:

not to be picky about it or anything :chuckle:

Ah, yes. Thats where I got 23 years from... knoll. sorry about the mistake. :bouncy:

tony hipchest
01-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Ah, yes. Thats where I got 23 years from... knoll. sorry about the mistake. :bouncy:lol. no biggie. raiders have ONLY switched coaches 7 times during cowhers 15 years (or something like that).

silver & black
01-07-2007, 09:56 AM
lol. no biggie. raiders have ONLY switched coaches 7 times during cowhers 15 years (or something like that).

I know. I always use the Steelers when arguing with fans of the Raiders and other teams on the benefits of keeping a coach, and working with him, and letting him build his team and way of doing things.

The problem with the Raiders is... Al Davis was a very good coach, himself. He has a brilliant mind for the game of football. I think this is where the problems come from.

He doesn't like what he sees, so he just has to get involved. I know his intentions are good, but if thats the way it's going to be, the Raiders will never be viable again untill he realises that he has to let his coaches do it their way.

It used to work in the past, but he is in poor health, and has no stamina for the day to day running of the football operations. It's time to hire a real GM, a real HC, and let them do what they do. Al can still be the face of the Raiders... hell, I think most Raider fans want Al to be the face of the Raiders, they just don't want him running the day to day football stuff anymore.

I guess we will see what happens this time around. Hopefully, we can start our way back where we belong... ruling the AFC West.

Big D
01-08-2007, 09:16 AM
rumor has it that the raiders will hire john shoop. Looks like another 2-14 season for the faiders....

83-Steelers-43
01-08-2007, 09:19 AM
I can't wait to see the Vegas odds pertaining to his predicted tenure as the Raiders HC.

Big D
01-08-2007, 09:22 AM
I can't wait to see the Vegas odds pertaining to his predicted tenure as the Raiders HC.

They are also going to interview steve sarkisian. I dont know why any up and comming coach would want to doom his career at such an early stage and go to oakland. Al is retaining the whole coaching staff. So whats really going to change??? and by the way the mayor is still on that staff...

bradness113
01-08-2007, 11:09 AM
man who the hell would want that job anyway?:dang:

silver & black
01-08-2007, 06:20 PM
rumor has it that the raiders will hire john shoop. Looks like another 2-14 season for the faiders....

Sorry to burst your bubble... Shoop has no chance.

silver & black
01-08-2007, 06:24 PM
They are also going to interview steve sarkisian. I dont know why any up and comming coach would want to doom his career at such an early stage and go to oakland. Al is retaining the whole coaching staff. So whats really going to change??? and by the way the mayor is still on that staff...

What information are you privy to that makes you say that? I have inside information from my own site... I have heard nothing to suggest that the entire coaching staff will retain their jobs.

Gruden's career sure was ruined by coaching in Oakland, huh?

clevestinks
01-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Shell is gone again, should be the title. Did Al Davis really think that Art could turn the team around in a year???? Or does he just set this guy up to look like a dummy?

Big D
01-08-2007, 06:27 PM
What information are you privy to that makes you say that? I have inside information from my own site... I have heard nothing to suggest that the entire coaching staff will retain their jobs.

Gruden's career sure was ruined by coaching in Oakland, huh?
I now have the same "inside information" you have. There have been several articles that i've read online saying the staff will mostly stay the same...

fansince'76
01-08-2007, 06:30 PM
The problem with the Raiders is... Al Davis was a very good coach, himself. He has a brilliant mind for the game of football.

He used to, anyway. I think that began changing when he signed Larry Brown and Desmond Howard to big money contracts after they both lucked out, had the game of their careers in a Superbowl and won MVP for the game in consecutive years. I think his judgment has gone downhill ever since.

silver & black
01-08-2007, 06:31 PM
man who the hell would want that job anyway?:dang:

Probably a guy that wants to be a HC in the NFL. There are only 32 of them, you know.

It will be a few years, granted... but I can't wait to rub in every other fans' faces when the Raiders return to being one of the most feard teams in the NFL. You can laugh now, but there is NO WAY the Raiders will be bottom feeders for very long. The rest of the NFL should enjoy what time they have, because it won't be for much longer.

Big D
01-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Probably a guy that wants to be a HC in the NFL. There are only 32 of them, you know.

It will be a few years, granted... but I can't wait to rub in every other fans' faces when the Raiders return to being one of the most feard teams in the NFL. You can laugh now, but there is NO WAY the Raiders will be bottom feeders for very long. The rest of the NFL should enjoy what time they have, because it won't be for much longer.
And sad to say that day wont even come close to happening until al davis dies. As I said earlier s&b I have premium memebership at rf.net as well. None of the canidates that i've read about seem like they would be great coaches.. The problem with the raiders is they have a 77 yr old senial owner running or ruining the organization. Look at how many bad coaches have gone through there since flores. And the two good coaches he had Shannahan and Gruden he let walk. The guy is a power tripping moron who should be watching the price is right in a retirement home not running an nfl franchise.

Big D
01-08-2007, 06:35 PM

and no coach is going to want to go into a situation where you have absoutly no say in anything that goes on with the organization.As well as an owner that interferes with your coaching decisions. You are doomed from the get go..

silver & black
01-08-2007, 06:57 PM
and no coach is going to want to go into a situation where you have absoutly no say in anything that goes on with the organization.As well as an owner that interferes with your coaching decisions. You are doomed from the get go..

I love the myth that no coach has any say so in what goes on. How do you know this? There has never been one former coach that has ever said anything to substantiate that.

Shell was allowed to hire mr. bed and breakfast. Shell was allowed to keep Porter on the bench, despite the fact it hurt the team. Shell was allowed to keep losing games all year because he wouldn't, or couldn't make half time adjustments. Shell was allowed to sit AW in favor of AB, even though the only wins we had were at the hand of AW. Shell was allowed to keep Moss on the field, even though he played half assed and ran his mouth on the radio every week.... This doesn't sound like an owner that gives no control to his coach to me.

Gruden pretty much had all the controll he wanted too. He sure had success in Oakland... do you honestly believe that Davis gave him any more than he gave anyone else?

John Madden has stated repeatedly that he was given all the controll he wanted. The Raiders have been to 5 Superbowls and won 3... there aren't a whole lot of teams in the NFL that can claim that, let alone even come close to it. I'm sorry, but it irritates the hell out me that the Raiders and Mr. Davis are so maligned, after achieving so much in a relatively short amount of time in the NFL.

sumo
01-08-2007, 07:32 PM
I love the myth that no coach has any say so in what goes on. How do you know this? There has never been one former coach that has ever said anything to substantiate that.

Shell was allowed to hire mr. bed and breakfast. Shell was allowed to keep Porter on the bench, despite the fact it hurt the team. Shell was allowed to keep losing games all year because he wouldn't, or couldn't make half time adjustments. Shell was allowed to sit AW in favor of AB, even though the only wins we had were at the hand of AW. Shell was allowed to keep Moss on the field, even though he played half assed and ran his mouth on the radio every week.... This doesn't sound like an owner that gives no control to his coach to me.

Gruden pretty much had all the controll he wanted too. He sure had success in Oakland... do you honestly believe that Davis gave him any more than he gave anyone else?

John Madden has stated repeatedly that he was given all the controll he wanted. The Raiders have been to 5 Superbowls and won 3... there aren't a whole lot of teams in the NFL that can claim that, let alone even come close to it. I'm sorry, but it irritates the hell out me that the Raiders and Mr. Davis are so maligned, after achieving so much in a relatively short amount of time in the NFL.

I agree - John Madden has said repeatedly Davis was a great owner -- allowing him to have final say on personnel and you're right - Gruden built a team based on the west coast philosophy - the other Al Davis story I get sick of hearing is - he ruined Marcus Allen's career - what was he supposed to do- sit Bo Jackson, so Marcus doesn't get his feelings hurt at the end of his career? it's gonna be a sad day when Davis isn't around anymore -- all the owners from his era loved the game first and they were all a little crazy too - I would rather see Al Davis with his old man glasses, greasy hair and sweat suit - then Jerry Jones with his imported Italian suits and rolexes - trying to smile without ripping his stretched out skin -

I'm still nostalgic for the epic games the Steelers had with the Raiders in the 70s - If I thought about it - I think I could probably name almost the entire rosters from both teams during that era - it's hard for me to bash our long time rivals because they have provided so many great games over the years...I think coaching the Raiders would be a great gig ...Shell just doesn't have it anymore - but I think Davis' next candidate will turn things around..

silver & black
01-08-2007, 10:12 PM
I agree - John Madden has said repeatedly Davis was a great owner -- allowing him to have final say on personnel and you're right - Gruden built a team based on the west coast philosophy - the other Al Davis story I get sick of hearing is - he ruined Marcus Allen's career - what was he supposed to do- sit Bo Jackson, so Marcus doesn't get his feelings hurt at the end of his career? it's gonna be a sad day when Davis isn't around anymore -- all the owners from his era loved the game first and they were all a little crazy too - I would rather see Al Davis with his old man glasses, greasy hair and sweat suit - then Jerry Jones with his imported Italian suits and rolexes - trying to smile without ripping his stretched out skin -

I'm still nostalgic for the epic games the Steelers had with the Raiders in the 70s - If I thought about it - I think I could probably name almost the entire rosters from both teams during that era - it's hard for me to bash our long time rivals because they have provided so many great games over the years...I think coaching the Raiders would be a great gig ...Shell just doesn't have it anymore - but I think Davis' next candidate will turn things around..

Thank you for that. It's nice to read something sensible from a fan of another team. I come here because I am also nostalgic for the games that the Raiders and Steelers played back in the day. I come here because I respect the Steelers and the Rooneys.

You're right, it WILL be a sad day when Al Davis passes on. None of the owners of today have the moxy and charisma of an Al Davis or Art Rooney. If half of the people who bash Al Davis were to do a little research, they would find that the guy they love to hate was instrumental in forming the NFL that they have come to know. Al Davis deserves much more than the bullshit rhetoric that gets flung his way on a daily basis by both fans and the media.... 90% of which is uninformed opinion.

Livinginthe past
01-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Looks like Big D nailed it.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/OAK/9916413

ALAMEDA, Calif. (Jan. 8, 2007) -- Southern California quarterbacks coach Steve Sarkisian became the first candidate to interview for the Oakland Raiders' head coaching vacancy.

sumo
01-09-2007, 01:16 AM
If Sarkisian gets hired - they will definetly go back to the West Coast System - Sarkisian learned it from the masters of the west coast offense universe - Norm Chow and Lavell Edwards - just like Leinart and Palmer - Sarkisian played QB under Chow - he's basically Chow jr with a little more energy...

silver & black
01-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Looks like Big D nailed it.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/OAK/9916413

ALAMEDA, Calif. (Jan. 8, 2007) -- Southern California quarterbacks coach Steve Sarkisian became the first candidate to interview for the Oakland Raiders' head coaching vacancy.

Big D nailed nothing. If he is a premium member at RF.net like he says he is, thats where he got the information from. We get information like that 2-3 days before the general media does.

silver & black
01-09-2007, 06:33 AM
If Sarkisian gets hired - they will definetly go back to the West Coast System - Sarkisian learned it from the masters of the west coast offense universe - Norm Chow and Lavell Edwards - just like Leinart and Palmer - Sarkisian played QB under Chow - he's basically Chow jr with a little more energy...

It won't upset me in the least if Al pulls the trigger on this guy. At least he will be a new, young presence with some fresh ideas.

LaVell Edwards and Norm Chow both think very highly of him. Pete Carroll said he thinks the world of him, and really wanted him back after his year with the Raiders as the QB coach. Those are some pretty good endorsements, if you ask me.

Another plus is that Sark seems to be very excited and genuinely wants the job... so much for all the who would want that job rhetoric.

Big D
01-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Big D nailed nothing. If he is a premium member at RF.net like he says he is, thats where he got the information from. We get information like that 2-3 days before the general media does.
I would hardly say thats insider information. I actually got that information from all the media outlets espn,nfl network etc. Thats not news nor is anything else you get from being a premium member rf.net

Livinginthe past
01-09-2007, 03:39 PM

Is it really possible that Big D and Silver & Black are privy to information that cannot be accessed by major sports networks?

Im guessing premium membership forums are where a few PFT articles come from.

NM

sumo
01-09-2007, 04:14 PM
It won't upset me in the least if Al pulls the trigger on this guy. At least he will be a new, young presence with some fresh ideas.

LaVell Edwards and Norm Chow both think very highly of him. Pete Carroll said he thinks the world of him, and really wanted him back after his year with the Raiders as the QB coach. Those are some pretty good endorsements, if you ask me.

Another plus is that Sark seems to be very excited and genuinely wants the job... so much for all the who would want that job rhetoric.

My brother-in-law knows him (Sarkisian)- they had several classes together in college -(I'm also an alumnist of BYU in case it wasn't already obvious the way I praise LaVell and Chow all the time - someday I will post the my "evolution of the west coast offense" summary) - I called my bro-in-law when I heard Sarkisian was interviewing for the Oakland job to see if he had talked to him - no luck - but when he talked to him before the season started, he said he wanted to get a head coaching job in the NFL and he was going to "get the word out" - code for hiring an agent to hustle up interviews -- after the season was over -- I'm convinced if Al Davis offers him the job - he'll jump at it for sure...

silver & black
01-09-2007, 05:13 PM
I would hardly say thats insider information. I actually got that information from all the media outlets espn,nfl network etc. Thats not news nor is anything else you get from being a premium member rf.net

You probably did. Premium members at RF.net already knew that 2-3 days before ESPN or NFL network knew about it. Eventually all news gets out, but we get it before anyone else does. I think that qualifies as insider information.

silver & black
01-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Is it really possible that Big D and Silver & Black are privy to information that cannot be accessed by major sports networks?

Im guessing premium membership forums are where a few PFT articles come from.

NM

Why is it so hard to believe that because we have a member that works inside the Raider organization, that we get information before it is let out to the general media?