PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Cowher Memory/Picture/Quote?

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 12:47 PM
I think this is not really a retirement subject, but if so I apologize to the mods if they need to collapse it into the main thread.

So now that it is over, what are your favorite Cowher memories?

While Cowher said at the press conference that he has grown as a person, to me nothing was more entertaining than Cowher on the emotional edge during his first 6 years before Kaye apparently convinced him to calm down (at least somewhat).

With that in mind, my best memory of Cowher is when he appeared to be planning to tackle or take a swing at the Jax player running back a blocked field goal at the end of the 1997 Monday night game in Jax.

fansince'76
01-05-2007, 12:52 PM
I would have to say my favorite memory of Cowher was when he was running off the field at halftime during a game and shoved a picture of a play he disputed earlier in the game in the pocket of a referee. Funny stuff.

ARKIESTEEL
01-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Stuffing that picture in the refs pocket:sofunny: :jammin:

SteelerFanInCA
01-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Yep, gotta go with stuffing the picture in the refs shirt pocket as well for me.

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 01:04 PM
While his fits of rage were entertaining, I gotta go with this one........

http://www.photofile.com/Photos/Albums/SuperBowl40_06/CowherBill06_01.jpg

ARKIESTEEL
01-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Him and D i c k Jumping on Smith after that pick this season was a good one too

but my favorite has to be seeing him on the stand after the Super Bowl

ARKIESTEEL
01-05-2007, 01:06 PM
damn I have been 1 min late on my two favorites two time in a row

one for the thumb
01-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Gotta go with in the locker room last year after the cinci game. "Who dey gonna bet dem bengals? We dey"

floodcitygirl
01-05-2007, 01:24 PM
I can't say favorite and I know some may disagree, but I loved his WE DEY chant in the locker room!!! Heck, I loved it from the stage at the parade too! :wink02: I liked that the guy could show some emotion.

floodcitygirl
01-05-2007, 01:25 PM
damn I have been 1 min late on my two favorites two time in a rowLOL! Looks like I just got beat too!

HometownGal
01-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Dan - this is an excellent thread and upon discussing the "Cowher thread" situation with LITP, we're going to leave this one up. :thumbsup: I'm going to stick it for ya, as well.

However - so that the board doesn't become clogged up with Cowher threads again (and we don't get bombarded with complaints), we ask that you post whatever you wish to say on the Cowher retirement/successor possibilities/goodbyes - in the threads set up for those purposes. :smile:

It's too early for me to even think about my favorite memory of Bill Cowher and it's gonna be hard, as there are so many. I'm still so overwhelmed by his decision, though I finally reconciled myself only a few days ago that it was imminent.

ARKIESTEEL
01-05-2007, 01:27 PM
LOL! Looks like I just got beat too!

No it looks like you need beat hehehehe:flap:

one for the thumb
01-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Post em up. I like this one..

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/cadensdad/Hank_Jr_Sign_and_Bill_Cowher.jpg

MACH1
01-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Gotta say the picture stuffing.

tony hipchest
01-05-2007, 01:31 PM
after the onside kick in the superbowl. bill asking the ref "that was a pretty good call huh?"- i was sure at that moment we were gonna slay the giants.

after the same game him telling his daughter "sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" as if to console her and reinforce a life lesson. and finally the "family high 5 he shared with the 4 girls in his life, last year, immediately after winning it all.

one for the thumb
01-05-2007, 01:31 PM
This one is pretty cool...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/cadensdad/38_1.jpg

Livinginthe past
01-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Merged the favorite Cowher memory with the favorite Cowher picture thread as we are going to get quite a few crossover posts.

Keep 'em coming guys.

NM

ARKIESTEEL
01-05-2007, 01:37 PM
after the onside kick in the superbowl. bill asking the ref "that was a pretty good call huh?"- i was sure at that moment we were gonna slay the giants.

after the same game him telling his daughter "sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" as if to console her and reinforce a life lesson. and finally the "family high 5 he shared with the 4 girls in his life, last year, immediately after winning it all.

You mean the cowboys right?????:cheers:

Stillers#1
01-05-2007, 01:38 PM

God I hated the family high five.

As for my favorite moment:

KORDELL..............KORDELL!............KORDELL!! ..............KORDELL!!!!...........I KNOW YOU HEAR ME KORDELL!!!!! (kordell finally looks)......CALM DOWN!

HometownGal
01-05-2007, 01:42 PM
God I hated the family high five.

Why did you hate that Stillers? I thought it was a very defining moment - these 4 ladies sacrificed their family time for Bill and supported him through it all for the past 15 years. :tt02:

HometownGal
01-05-2007, 01:48 PM
This is my favorite pic of Bill Cowher - as he said in his Press Conference just a little while ago....."you can take the people out of Pittsburgh, but you can't take the Pittsburgh out of the people." :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

http://www.11-4productions.com/Recent%20News/Celebration---Bill-Cowher.jpg

tony hipchest
01-05-2007, 01:50 PM
"its not about the destination, its about the journey to get there". he lived by this and even reinforced it in todays resignation.

"it is what it is". no one used this cliche more than him.

and finally in locker room after the colts win last year when he asked joey if he could keep his mouth shut this time (before going to denver) to which joey replied- "maaaan...i got this! THEY SHOT ME UP IN DENVER!" :toofunny:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Well my favorite Bill Cowher moment well is his face after Vandertool missed that kick against the Colts in the playoffs last year. If somebody can find a picture of Cowher's face after that miss it says a thousand words.

Second on my Cowher list is when the Steelers beat the Colts in the 1995 AFC title game. Cowher was in tears and I'll never forget that.

I think it was time for Bill Cowher to go but I will miss the guy and I want to be there when he is inducted into the Hall of Fame.

sumo
01-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Several times in big games with a lot of pressure - he would always be having a great time - ESPN had some sound bites the other night - Ben came to the sidelines during the Indy playoff game in the 3rd quarter - with the outcome still in doubt - Cowher -said "this is great isn't it?!! - did you ever think you would be in a game like this?" -- Cowher routinely said stuff like this to his players during big games to encourage them and loosen them up -- contrast this with the other coahes like Parcells, Gibbs, Coughlin, Belichik - no matter what - these guys always look and act miserable during games..

PisnNapalm
01-05-2007, 01:56 PM
I loved seeing him signal for a first down in XL.

As for an older memory.... hmm... I'll have to think on it. I can't nail down anything specific. I just loved the fire and emotion he brought to the team.

Steelers
01-05-2007, 01:56 PM
From cart boy to Super Bowl champion coach.

http://hiflyrf22.tripod.com/cowher/thumbnails/400x300/Bill.jpghttp://www.rickchapman.com/human/images/superbowl_XL_cowher_7.jpg

I gotta go with the "WE DEY" chant as well. Here's a horrible-quality video of it. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=zeQEjaoAma8)

tony hipchest
01-05-2007, 01:59 PM
how bout cowher looking at the puny little lombardi replica dan rooney handed him today as if it just came out of a gumball machine?

LOL. not really, but thats what i was thinking.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Oh I don't know if this has been mentioned already when he stuffed those photos in the refs pocket against the Vikings back in 94 or 95 after a bad call. That was great lol. There is really to many and we could be here all night listing them all.

1NYSTEELER1
01-05-2007, 02:02 PM
The "picture stuffing game" was epic, I was there and the fans were going nuts after that!! I would say after 15 years there are so many from the "chin" glares after stupid penalties to the cursing at the punter (which I believe Kaye spoke to him about) to the big grins after the perfect play. I will miss all of them!!!! But kust last week he showed the full circle and that was great to see all the emotions in 1 game. Especially the Willie Colon incident, that was priceless with his killer stare and chin protusion yelling and pointing to "WILLIE!!!!!", "WILLIE!!!!" And to my delight, NFL Network has this game on tonight as the Game of the Week and I will be in the recliner enjoining Bill one more time with an ice cold IC in one hand and terrible towel in the other ----- GO STEELERS and We will miss the COWHER POWER.............

augustashark
01-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Several times in big games with a lot of pressure - he would always be having a great time - ESPN had some sound bites the other night - Ben came to the sidelines during the Indy playoff game in the 3rd quarter - with the outcome still in doubt - Cowher -said "this is great isn't it?!! - did you ever think you would be in a game like this?" -- Cowher routinely said stuff like this to his players during big games to encourage them and loosen them up -- contrast this with the other coahes like Parcells, Gibbs, Coughlin, Belichik - no matter what - these guys always look and act miserable during games..

There is a clip of him do the samething with O'Donnell in the AFC Champ game against SD just before the 4th and goal play. Classic.

4xSBChamps
01-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Oh I don't know if this has been mentioned already when he stuffed those photos in the refs pocket against the Vikings back in 94 or 95 after a bad call. That was great lol. There is really to many and we could be here all night listing them all.
I had always thought that was his rookie season of '92:
when he did that, there was NO-DOUBT that our new coach wasn't going to be stoical during games, like his predecessor.

wiqidjuggalo
01-05-2007, 02:27 PM
http://cafe.chosun.com/img_file/club_file/95/mlb/bbs/87/Bill_Cowher%5B20060206104705%5D.jpg

Stillers#1
01-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Why did you hate that Stillers? I thought it was a very defining moment - these 4 ladies sacrificed their family time for Bill and supported him through it all for the past 15 years. :tt02:

I dunno if I can really put it into words why it bugs me so much, but it does. I just wish they coudl have chilled in the stands while Bill took it in for a while with his players. They deserved his attention at that point, and I know everyone will disagree with me. As far as them sacraficing goes.....wellI don't want to hi-jack this thread.

stlrtruck
01-05-2007, 02:38 PM
While his fits of rage were entertaining, I gotta go with this one........

http://www.photofile.com/Photos/Albums/SuperBowl40_06/CowherBill06_01.jpg

Yeah this one too! Of all the things I remember about Cowher...this tops the list!

HometownGal
01-05-2007, 02:43 PM

OMG that was priceless - I'll never forget it! :tt02:

HometownGal
01-05-2007, 02:44 PM
If anyone wants to re-visit Bill Cowher's first press conference as the Steelers HC, I posted the video in the Media forum.

In Cowher We Trust
01-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Everything was great about Bill!

12+88=6
01-05-2007, 04:36 PM
i remember the 1st game he coached in 1992 @ oilers.

late in the game the steelers got a 1st down and sealed up the game.

the camera was on him and the announcer, todd christianson?, was saying it was a good win and he looked like he was going to be a good coach and on cue bill winked at someone on the sidline as if to say, see i knew we'd win. and the annoucers just laughed and said they liked it.

right then i knew he was the perfect choice and good things would come.

NV STEELERS 723
01-05-2007, 04:52 PM

Tony... great stuff....those 3 stand out for me too...but BC's smiling expression in the lockeroom after the 95 AFC when Greg Lloyd said the "F" word on national TV during the AFC Championship trophy presentation....

And when Willie started his first game in 05 vs the Titans and he told him " don't hyperventilate on me"!!!

and of course the "WE DEY" lockeroom bit...

It was great to see a coach show some emotion compared to Chuck Knoll

Elvis
01-05-2007, 05:01 PM
THE WHO DEY SAYS IT BEST FOR MY MEMORIES... I JUST WISH HE WOULD HAVE SAID IT AFTER THE FINAL GAME THIS YEAR...:sofunny: :wave:

iloveben7
01-05-2007, 05:08 PM
http://cafe.chosun.com/img_file/club_file/95/mlb/bbs/87/Bill_Cowher%5B20060206104705%5D.jpg
That has to be my favorite as well!! I have a puzzle with that picture on it!! Since Cowher has been the only coach basically for most of my life, except for 2 years, and I've only really watched football for 3 years, I'm really going to miss this guy!!

tony hipchest
01-05-2007, 05:33 PM
"you play smart. you play focussed. and most of all... you play physical!

physical on 3. ONE, TWO, THREE..."

NV STEELERS 723
01-05-2007, 06:08 PM
that is so BC...I got chills on my neck!

mattss
01-05-2007, 06:17 PM
I also love the pocket stuff but I did have a laugh when Silverback messed a play up and when Cowher came up to see what happened he just said "shit happens" and continued walking..cowher then looked to hines or someone and had a laugh not believing what harrison had just said to him..here are a few pics of how I will remember him..

http://www.s-t.com/daily/08-96/08-28-96/cowher.jpg "the passion"

http://www.havamedia.net/CGR/8/M/HAVAContent/News/3000/3289_hs.jpg "the scowl"

http://www.iheartpreston.co.uk/quoideneuf/images/superbowlxl/2.jpg "finally bringing the lombardi back to everyone in pitt"

touchdownward
01-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Tony just mentioned my favorite Cowher quote and definitely the play stuffing incident is my best memory. I especially like how Bill made damn sure it stayed in the ref's pocket after it came out the first time.
It's been a long time, but wasn't Bill arguing the fact that the vikes had 12 men on the field???? I'm sure one my Steeler bretheren or "sisteren" remembers.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Being a HUGE Woodson fan my favorite picture is the black and white of woodson sitting on the bench and Cowher talking to him on the sidelines. I remember an interview they did at Woodson's home and he had that photo blown up hanging on his wall. Dang I wish I could find a copy of that photo.

SteelCityMan786
01-05-2007, 10:44 PM
I liked this one

"You Can't Reflect Now."

Black@Gold Forever32
01-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Yes it was because the Vikes had 12 men on the field.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Another "Cowher Moment" was the 1997 Steeler/Jags game the bad snap and Chris Hudson scooped up the ball and was running down the sidelines as Hudson ran by cowher stepped out on the field and 'ole Bill gave the punch gesture to him.

PisnNapalm
01-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Another "Cowher Moment" was the 1997 Steeler/Jags game the bad snap and Chris Hudson scooped up the ball and was running down the sidelines as Hudson ran by cowher stepped out on the field and 'ole Bill gave the punch gesture to him.

Oh man I remember that one!!! Wow was he pissed!

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Tony just mentioned my favorite Cowher quote and definitely the play stuffing incident is my best memory. I especially like how Bill made damn sure it stayed in the ref's pocket after it came out the first time.
It's been a long time, but wasn't Bill arguing the fact that the vikes had 12 men on the field???? I'm sure one my Steeler bretheren or "sisteren" remembers.

Actually it was the Steelers that were called for 12 men on the field not the vikings -- Cowher in his own way once again making his point known. :cheers:

Elvis
01-06-2007, 06:49 AM
Oh man I remember that one!!! Wow was he pissed!
:tt02:
Yeah.. you had to love that... but my favorite moment I think is when he handed the Vince Lombardi Trophy to Mr. Rooney last year or when after the Cowboys loss in Super Bowl XXX, when he told his little girl "sometimes you win and sometimes you lose honey" Tears of joy after he got to hand the Trophy to Mr. Rooney last year... that Awesome Baby!!!!:wave:

CheapBasturd
01-06-2007, 07:58 AM
To many to pick just one... Good luck Bill.

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2007, 08:10 AM
how bout cowher looking at the puny little lombardi replica dan rooney handed him today as if it just came out of a gumball machine?

LOL. not really, but thats what i was thinking.

According to the Trib-Review you would need a lot of quarters to get that particular trinket out of the gumball machine:

Dan Rooney presented Cowher with a miniature Vince Lombardi Trophy on Friday. Because Cowher had provided Rooney with the real thing in February, Rooney probably figured it was the least he could do.

It was actually much more than that.

Those replicas have to be ordered -- only those who were a part of Super Bowl winners have the option of forking out the required $10,000 or so -- and they arrive from Tiffany's in locked strongboxes.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-06-2007, 10:30 AM
According to the Trib-Review you would need a lot of quarters to get that particular trinket out of the gumball machine:

Dan Rooney presented Cowher with a miniature Vince Lombardi Trophy on Friday. Because Cowher had provided Rooney with the real thing in February, Rooney probably figured it was the least he could do.

Those replicas have to be ordered -- only those who were a part of Super Bowl winners have the option of forking out the required $10,000 or so -- and they arrive from Tiffany's in locked strongboxes.

That's right baby that little trinket came out of a blue felt pouch and any woman know if your getting a blue box/pouch it's tiffany. It might have been small but it wasn't cheap. I thought it was really classy gesture from Dan.

Handcrafted by Tiffany & Co. and valued at $12,500, the Vince Lombardi Trophy depicts a football in kicking position that is made entirely of sterling silver. It stands 22 inches tall, weighs seven pounds and takes 72 man-hours to craft.

Here's an article of the history of the trophy --- interesting reading.

http://www.ravensnest1.com/Lombardi%20Trophy.htm

LambertIsGod58
01-06-2007, 11:13 AM
I'd have to agree that there's too many to pick from....Cowher exudes Steeler football. I'm gonna miss him on the sidelines. His favorite player was Lambert too!!

polamalufan43
01-06-2007, 11:50 AM
For me, there are way too many to mention, but some of the ones I remember most are

"I'm one of you guys... Yinz know what I mean,"
(Way to break the emotional mood, but in a good way)

Handing of the Lombardi trophy to Dan Rooney

When Cowher first came here

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

tony hipchest
01-06-2007, 12:20 PM

Those replicas have to be ordered -- only those who were a part of Super Bowl winners have the option of forking out the required $10,000 or so -- and they arrive from Tiffany's in locked strongboxes.lol. i probably shouldnt have minimized the gesture like that, cause its not like tiffanys can manufacture full size knock-offs. theres only 40 lombardis in the world. (i wonder where vladamir putin keeps his 3 :chuckle:) i had never seen the mini- lombardis. i want one. my brother has a masters in art (specifically as a silversmith) and i have talked to him about making one. unfortunately it would be fairly expensive and extremely illegal)

i believe pat bowlin gave john elway one of the 2 he had upon his retirement (which was very cool). but now i wonder if it was just one of these minis?

PalmerSteel
01-07-2007, 12:12 AM
there may be some that bitched about him, but he will be missed. he defined the city and what the steelers are all about. i hope our next coach can motivate his players for a long period of time like cohwer could :helmet:

http://www.thestar.com/images/assets/173881_3.JPG

http://timfuge.tripod.com/cowher2.jpg

http://site.steelcityauctions.com/cowher2.jpg

http://i.eurosport.fr/2006/01/27/245999-783425-460-307.jpg

http://livesite.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2006-04-01/0402cowher-f.jpg

clarient
01-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Does anybody have a pic of him stuffing the pic in the ref's pocket? I would love to see that again.

7Ben7
01-07-2007, 10:52 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o140/Ace12773/61569_BillCowher-.jpg The Passion

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o140/Ace12773/bill_cowher_leader.jpg The Leadership

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o140/Ace12773/ms.jpg The Players Coach

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o140/Ace12773/Bill_Champ.jpg The Champion

Thanks for all the memories Bill. :tt02:

RoethlisBURGHer
01-09-2007, 10:48 AM
him sticking the pic in the ref's pcoket

I also love the time he wanted to talk to Korkie and he was yelling "Kordell!Kordell!Kordell I know you can hear me!"

klick81
01-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Does anybody have a pic of him stuffing the pic in the ref's pocket? I would love to see that again.

Me too!

Like others have said, there's too many to pick but I one of my favorites is seeing him fully enjoy the we dey chant when one of his players finished it off towards the end of the video already posted. Here's a slightly higher quality video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq51TBBbx7M

beer72
01-09-2007, 04:52 PM
When he looked like he wanted to hit the jacksonville player as he was running down the sidelined after they blocked a attempted field goal by steelers.

beSteelmyheart
01-09-2007, 07:14 PM
I like this one, I don't think I've ever seen him look so manic...
IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/beSteelmyheart/3196449460.jpg[/IMG]

NC Steeler ---- Thank you for that bag boy picture, it was friggin hilarious!

memphissteelergirl
01-10-2007, 11:01 AM
A couple of mine have already been mentioned...the "you play physical" speech and the "S*** happens" quote after Harrison's penalty. But I also have to mention one where a very cautious and subdued Cowher told the media "All I can say is we lived to fight another day" after the Bears game during the '05 season-the start of our magical run to the SB. To me, that is the sign of a great coach. While he was pleased with the win, he knew the team still had a long road ahead.

Thanks again, Bill. You embodied what Steeler football is all about! :tt02: :tt02:

tony hipchest
01-12-2007, 09:00 AM
how about when he was practically livid because butch davis called him "cowher"?

he said it was a respect for your peers thing. you either call him "coach" or you call him "bill". lol, he seemed trully offended.

Steelersfan4life
01-15-2007, 07:36 PM
one of my favorite bill cowher moments while not a quote from cowher was before the super bowl last year when espn had joey porter specifically and maybe others doing ther cowher impressions

"JOEY!!! JOEY!!! I KNOW YOU HEAR ME JOEY!!!"