PDA

View Full Version : Ken Whisenhunt To Arizona Discussion

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-06-2007, 11:12 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-spdolcoach06jan06,0,6254756.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Steelers' Whisenhunt to interview with Dolphins today

By Alex Marvez
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted January 6 2007

The Dolphins kicked off their head coaching search Friday by interviewing Georgia Tech's Chan Gailey and former Falcons coach Jim Mora Jr. in Atlanta.

But the candidate who may become the franchise's top choice to replace the departed Nick Saban is coming to South Florida today.

Sports Illustrated's web site reported Friday night that Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt is flying to South Florida for a dinner tonight with Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga.

Huizenga's personal involvement indicates how much the franchise has interest in Whisenhunt, who already has interviewed for job openings in Atlanta and Arizona.

Whisenhunt also will interview Tuesday for the Steelers' coaching vacancy that opened Friday when Bill Cowher resigned. The Steelers retain Cowher's contractual rights through the 2007 season and team president Art Rooney II said during a Friday news conference that the Dolphins had not contacted him about trying to schedule an interview.

The Dolphins would likely have to provide heavy draft compensation to hire Cowher, whose 15 years with the Steelers was highlighted by a victory in Super Bowl XL.

San Diego offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and Chicago Bears coordinators Ron Rivera (defense) and Ron Turner (offense) will be interviewed by the Dolphins this weekend as potential replacements for Saban, who quit Tuesday to become head coach at Alabama.

The Dolphins are expected to meet next week with Minnesota defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin and Jim Bates, the team's former defensive coordinator who served as head coach on an interim basis for seven games before Saban's hiring in December 2004.

Gailey was the Dolphins' offensive coordinator in 2000 and 2001 before leaving for Georgia Tech.

"It was clear to me that they were in the process of gathering information and insight into organizational issues," Gailey said in a university-released statement.

"I appreciate that they asked to speak with me regarding their future direction."

Mora, 45, led the Falcons to the NFC Championship game during his first season in 2004. But the franchise failed to reach the playoffs the past two years, leading to Mora's firing last week.

Tomlin, 34 just completed his first season as Minnesota's defensive coordinator after serving the previous five years as Tampa Bay's secondary coach.

Defensive chief Dom Capers is considered the top internal candidate from the Dolphins' current coaching staff.

The Dolphins may ultimately interview general manager candidates as well with Randy Mueller considered on shaky ground even before Saban's departure. One potential candidate is Floyd Reese, who resigned Friday as Tennessee's general manager.

"We have a plan in place that is designed to insure we identify and talk to a broad and diverse pool of candidates for the head coaching position," Dolphins President Bryan Wiedmeier said in a team-released statement. "There is no set timetable. While the process will be carried out as quickly as possible, the primary consideration is getting the right person."

NV STEELERS 723
01-06-2007, 11:41 PM
hope he does not get the job in Miami

Borski
01-07-2007, 02:10 AM
hope he does not get the job in Miami

assuming he doesn't stay with the Steelers, where would you like to see him go?

Haiku_Dirtt
01-07-2007, 03:00 AM
Damage control. Worst case scenario. Dogs and cat living together. END OF THE WORLD.

K-Whiz (for the record I hate this abbreviated name crap) is going to be a head coach this year.

What is most incredible is that (as far as I know...which is little) if Whiz is not our head coach then we are looking for an offensive coordinator too.

WHO is going to control Ben? ART II saw the writing on the wall long ago. I think we're looking at window dressing.

I'm a cynic.

BECAUSE...Who is the next offensive coordinator? If Whiz doesn't stay then the Head Coach issue morphs into a legendary perplexity.

"Show me the way to go home...I'm tired and I want to go to bed...I had a little drink..."

HometownGal
01-07-2007, 07:32 AM
Please post anything relating to Ken Whisenhunt here for the same reasons we asked with regard to the Cowher threads. Thanks! :smile:

stillers4me
01-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Sounds like we are looking for anOC either way. Whether he accepta a HC job elsewhere or with the Steelers, there's an opening available. It will all come down to money and I'm afraid Steelers fans will get the short end of the stick.

clevestinks
01-07-2007, 08:10 AM
I`m sure he wont jump ship, until he knows what his status here. We`ll see though, if he is Rooneys man, I`m sure they will let him know.

In Cowher We Trust
01-07-2007, 08:25 AM
i hope he stays

LambertIsGod58
01-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Whiz wants the Steelers job...I just hope the Rooneys are smart enough to offer it to him.

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2007, 08:38 AM
With coaching jobs continuing to open up (Parcells may say to hell with it, Coughlin may get canned after today, and I still think Marty is not safe if the chargers would lose next weekend) that is a good point about needing to hire a staff.

A further argument for Whiz or Grimm is that either of them would not need to hire a completely new staff while a half dozen other teams are attempting to do the same. I could see the current QB coach as coordinator if either Whiz or Grimm gets the job.

I still see Whiz going to ATL.

LambertIsGod58
01-07-2007, 08:39 AM
He could have left last year, remember? But then again, maybe the jobs open weren't enticing enough.

83-Steelers-43
01-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Tomlin on Steelers' interview list
Sunday, January 07, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have received permission to interview Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin for their head coaching position.

Tomlin, 34, finished his first season directing the Vikings' defense. He joined them last year after coaching the defensive backs at Tampa Bay the previous five years. He also coached the Cincinnati Bengals' defensive backs in 1999 and 2000.

Before he became an NFL assistant, he was an assistant coach at three different colleges from 1995 through 1998. He played wide receiver at William & Mary.

Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga met in Pittsburgh last night with Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt to talk about the head coaching job in Miami. Huizenga was joined by Joe Bailey, the Dolphins' chief executive officer, and club president Bryan Wiedmeier.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07007/751992-66.stm

tony hipchest
01-07-2007, 11:26 AM
possible in house o-coord replacements

b. arians -wr coach who was the o-coord with the browns

m. whipple - qb coach with past college hc experience. our last qb coach has gone on and been a o-coord with buffalo and then the packers.

whoever our te coach is. this is where we got our last 2 o-coords.

LambertIsGod58
01-07-2007, 11:32 AM
I hope we don't blow this...I have a bad feeling...

Duck44
01-07-2007, 11:38 AM
ESPN is saying the Falcons may name a HC tommorrow. Whisenhunt is supposed to interview for the Steelers job on Tuesday. The Falcons are jumping on him before the Steelers get a chance to interview him. Whisenhunt is going to be the next Falcons coach.

MACH1
01-07-2007, 11:41 AM
ESPN is saying the Falcons may name a HC tommorrow. Whisenhunt is supposed to interview for the Steelers job on Tuesday. The Falcons are jumping on him before the Steelers get a chance to interview him. Whisenhunt is going to be the next Falcons coach.

Son-of-a-***** thats not good.

stillers4me
01-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Maybe he's already turned the Atlanta gig down.....it's not like he doesn't and has always had the inside scoop in the Rooney camp.

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2007, 12:17 PM

You do not need permission to talk with your own assistants during the season - I assume the Steelers have been engaged in "what if" conversations with Grimm and Whiz since last spring. FWIW Peter King said on NBC last night that Singletary and the Cal coach were the leading candidates for the Falcons job.

tony hipchest
01-07-2007, 12:42 PM
You do not need permission to talk with your own assistants during the season - I assume the Steelers have been engaged in "what if" conversations with Grimm and Whiz since last spring. FWIW Peter King said on NBC last night that Singletary and the Cal coach were the leading candidates for the Falcons job.peter king also debunked the myth that the new coach needs to be a "pittsburgh guy"

SteelCzar76
01-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Tomlin on Steelers' interview list
Sunday, January 07, 2007

The Steelers have received permission to interview Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin for their head coaching position.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07007/751992-66.stm

Tomlin is a young, aggressive "defensive minded" coach. With experience as a position Coach as well as coordinator. (Not to mention his eagerness to prove himself as a HC would mean the Rooneys wouldn't have to "break the bank" so to speak)
Hmmm,......sounds familiar.

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Rotorhead
01-07-2007, 12:57 PM
I would rather Whiz go to Atlanta than the Dolphins, so we dont have to face him as much in the oncoming years. I think Russ will the be out next HC and have no clue who the next O-Coord will be. If I were Whiz, I would take the Miami job though, he will have total control of the team there and that is by far the most attractive opportunity, aside from the steelers, out there right now.

Duck44
01-07-2007, 01:47 PM
FWIW Peter King said on NBC last night that Singletary and the Cal coach were the leading candidates for the Falcons job.

Singletary is not a serious candidate right now and Tedford from Cal doesn`t have a great record with NFL QB`s. And Vick is a defenite project.

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Singletary is not a serious candidate right now and Tedford from Cal doesn`t have a great record with NFL QB`s. And Vick is a defenite project.

I actually thought the rap on Tedford's QBs at Cal was that he coached them up so much in college it exaggerated their ability to excel at the NFL level.

As for Singletary not being a serious ATL candidate, that is King's claim, not mine, but I assume he has better sources than either of us.

Duck44
01-07-2007, 02:00 PM
I actually thought the rap on Tedford's QBs at Cal was that he coached them up so much in college it exaggerated their ability to excel at the NFL level.

As for Singletary not being a serious ATL candidate, that is King's claim, not mine, but I assume he has better sources than either of us.

I just don`t think Blank is going to hire an assistant without much experience. The Mora experiment was a lesson learned.

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2007, 02:49 PM
I just don`t think Blank is going to hire an assistant without much experience. The Mora experiment was a lesson learned.

That may explain the Tedford rumor - Whiz is a hot young coordinator but so was Mora, Jr. three years ago - of couse college HCs have their own issues in terms of making the transition to the pro game

Surprised to hear the Falcons are moving so quickly, but they may figure Dallas and the Giants are about to have vacancies and it is time to get a selection locked in.

OneForTheToe
01-07-2007, 04:31 PM
I have a hard time believing that Whisenhunt would acccept the Atlanta job before even interviewing with the Steelers. His interview with the Steelers is not until Tuesday.

SteelCzar76
01-07-2007, 05:37 PM
I have a hard time believing that Whisenhunt would acccept the Atlanta job before even interviewing with the Steelers. His interview with the Steelers is not until Tuesday.

That might depend on whether or not Blank "talks numbers" that Whiz knows the Rooneys will or cannot match. Along with giving him (Whiz) a very limited window in regards to time to accept the offer.

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Big D
01-07-2007, 05:41 PM
That might depend on whether or not Blank "talks numbers" that Whiz knows the Rooneys will or cannot match. Along with giving him (Whiz) a very limited window in regards to time to accept the offer.

I agree. Like if blank offered whisenhunt 3 million a year I dont think the rooneys would give a unexperienced head coach money like that

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2007, 05:43 PM

They say Cowher was not personally close to his assistants (not a bad idea when you are dealing with folks you might have to fire) but Iwonder whether Cowher's alleged dissatisfaction with what the Rooneys would pay was shared with Whiz. As I have posted eleswhere, HC candidates and their agents probably have a good idea of what actually went on in any contract negotiations involving Cowher and that information presumably will impact how those candidates balance other offers that may be made against seeking the Steelers job.

Big D
01-07-2007, 05:44 PM
jay glazer is reporting the job is going to Mike Singletary...

SteelCzar76
01-07-2007, 05:50 PM
?

SteelCzar76
01-07-2007, 06:01 PM
jay glazer is reporting the job is going to Mike Singletary...

Vick will finish him in two. LOL

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Big D
01-07-2007, 06:08 PM
Vick will finish him in two. LOL

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

we wouldnt want the coach killer to tarnish his legacy...

SteelCzar76
01-07-2007, 06:29 PM
we wouldnt want the coach killer to tarnish his legacy...

Exactly. LOL

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2007, 07:09 PM
If it is Singletary that is typical Falcons decision making.

Why Blank needs to lock up Singletary when nobody else is rumored to be aggressively seeking his services and when the central riddle for the Falcons is how to coach up Vick is a total mystery to me. But kudos to Peter King for reporting last night Singletary was a front runner for the job.

I do not think this will go over well in ATL, but maybe Whiz interviewed poorly or told Blank he needed to hear from the Rooneys first.

stillers4me
01-07-2007, 08:11 PM
This just in from Atlanta........

Updated: Jan. 7, 2007, 8:34 PM ET
Louisville's Petrino on Falcons' wish list for head coachBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

ATLANTA -- Louisville coach Bob Petrino is the choice of the Atlanta Falcons to succeed Jim Mora as head coach, several league sources confirmed Sunday night, and the team is in contract negotiations aimed at securing a contract agreement that could lead to a Monday announcement of his hiring.

Sources stressed that Petrino, 45, has yet to accept the position, but that the two sides were moving toward an agreement.

The highly-regarded Petrino is known for his creative offensive designs and the priority of Falcons' brass is to land a head coach capable of getting the most from quarterback Michael Vick's talents.

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2007, 08:15 PM
This makes much more sense but came out of nowhere. Someone was giving some serious misdirection to Peter King and Jay Glazer with the Singletary stories.

Big D
01-08-2007, 06:41 AM
This makes much more sense but came out of nowhere. Someone was giving some serious misdirection to Peter King and Jay Glazer with the Singletary stories.

I dont think either guy is that crediable..

Elvis
01-08-2007, 04:45 PM
:tt02: I for one do not want Whisenhunt as our next head coach. Grimm would be a better fit in my opinion. I wish we could look at Rex Ryan the defensive coordinator from the Ravens.. they are always very tough on defense and that team plays some very good physical defense like we used to.:jawdrop:
Mike Tomlin from Chicago would also be a good move I think, that Bears defense is always sworming the ball and they make plays just like Ryans' defenses are. I'm sure the Steelers front office will make the right decision, that has been proven over the last what 30 years or so?:wave:

BigBen2WardPITT
01-08-2007, 09:55 PM
to be honest, i dont think we are going to get whiz. The Dolphins are gonna flash cash money at the guy if that is indeed there top pick for HC, and we wont flash $$. end of discussion.

here comes cam cameron or iowa's man i guess.

thing is not sure i can argue with steelers moves over the last 30 years, so whoever it is, which we wont know until two hours before the actual press conference that announces a new HC, i have faith in rooney and co.

PalmerSteel
01-10-2007, 12:00 PM
sorry if this is already posted:
Steelers offensive coordinator, Ken Whisenhunt, was interviewed by team officials for three hours Tuesday, and it was evident he doesn't want to leave Pittsburgh to become an NFL head coach unless there's no other option. "This is the place I want to be," Whisenhunt told the Associated Press. "I've been very grateful to be a part of this organization for six years and I'm just excited to get this opportunity."
Whisenhunt is emerging as the favorite to succeed Bill Cowher as the next head coach of the Steelers. He has interviewed for four different NFL head coaching jobs since last week, so it's evident that many in the league think very highly of him. The Steelers are owned by the Rooney family, who have been known to be fiercely loyal to their coaches, so Whisenhunt could very well become the next head coach in Pittsburgh.

clevestinks
01-10-2007, 03:45 PM
I say Whiz stays. He seems to have the passion the Steelers will be looking for! Passion will win out this time.

nicesteel4life
01-10-2007, 07:29 PM
WHIZ reminds me alot of Cowher, I think he would be the best fit for the Values of the Rooneys and the Steelers Pride. I truly believe Russ will stay and not land a Head Coach job as well. Think about this, Whiz told Atlanta I cant take your job till I see whats going on in Pittsburgh first....I believe thats what made Atlanta go a diffrent way, would you want your team to be second choice? He wants to be here, and has stated that. Camp Whiz is soon to be upon us!

tony hipchest
01-10-2007, 08:23 PM
WHIZ reminds me alot of Cowher, I think he would be the best fit for the Values of the Rooneys and the Steelers Pride. the Values of the Rooneys is about $2-2.5 mil/ year. im not too sure the rooneys have a preference between whiz or grimm. if they dont get one they have the other to fall back on. they are clearly in the drivers seat in this negotiation. if both of those fall through, i think they will move on with rivera or tomlin and not think twice about it.

theres only 4 job openings so they are bound to get 1 of the 4 guys they have interviewed. they have the best job to offer (ignoring monetary compensation)

im thinking their stance will be "take it, or leave it"

Stlrs4Life
01-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Question is, if Whiz gets the job, how does Grimm feel when he was considered the Ass't coach? Or was it just a label?

tony hipchest
01-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Question is, if Whiz gets the job, how does Grimm feel when he was considered the Ass't coach? Or was it just a label?it was a label that came with a raise. by hiring whiz over retaining cowher, the rooneys will be saving atleast $4 mil/ year. you would think a bone would be thrown to the dogs (asst./coordinators).

but then again, havent we all thought we deserved a raise and just gotten a pat on the back instead?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Good article on Wiz and his background... Had no idea he was the tight end coach for the Ratbirds....

The article was two long to post so had to break it up here's part I

Whisenhunt: Backers say body of work makes him easy choice

Ken Whisenhunt got his degree in civil engineering at Georgia Tech, but he never really wanted to build bridges. Instead, he wanted to build a football team, construct a winning foundation, assemble the necessary parts of a franchise that had an infrastructure as solid as tungsten steel.

None of that is necessary with the Steelers. They do not need an architect to rebuild a tattered franchise or build a winning tradition. With five Super Bowl trophies on display in their South Side offices, they do not need someone to reinvent the wheel. They just want someone to keep the wheel rolling.

That's why Dan Henning, a former NFL head coach who worked with Whisenhunt as a player and assistant coach, wonders what the Steelers are waiting for to name a replacement for Bill Cowher.

"Next to player personnel in the National Football League, continuity is the next best thing," said Henning, who is offensive coordinator with the Carolina Panthers. "Kenny knows the Steelers' organization, they know him. They're not getting an unknown quantity. They know the quality of his work, the way he gets along with people. It's a tremendous advantage in transition."

Henning was head coach of the Atlanta Falcons from 1983-86 when Whisenhunt was a tight end/H-back there. He later coached with him for one season with the New York Jets, Whisenhunt's last coaching stop before joining the Steelers in 2004. Henning was also head coach with the San Diego Chargers from 1989-91.

"When we drafted him, he was a quarterback/tight end who could do all things. All those qualities he had as a player have transitioned for him as a coach. I don't know if there are any candidates out there who have all those qualities rolled into one.

"There is an old saying: A prophet in his own land is scorned. It's disappointing to me they haven't jumped on Kenny. Sometimes you hesitate because nobody is perfect. I can tell you this -- nobody knows for sure if somebody will be a successful head coach. You can only gauge based on the credentials and their body of work. Kenny has all that."

Whisenhunt had an indistinguishable career as an NFL player, catching 62 passes for 601 yards and six touchdowns in nine seasons with the Falcons (1985-88), Washington Redskins ('89-90) and Jets ('91-93). In college, he finished as Georgia Tech's second all-time receiving yardage leader (1,264) and fourth in receptions (82).

But it has been as an NFL assistant coach where Whisenhunt's career has been almost meteoric. He joined the Baltimore Ravens as tight end coach in 1997, was special teams coach under Chris Palmer with the Cleveland Browns in '99 and joined the Jets for one season before Cowher hired him to coach the Steelers' tight ends.

Now he could be the Steelers' next head coach. He has interviewed with three other NFL teams since the season ended, making him perhaps the most marketable head-coaching candidate in the league.

But Whisenhunt, 44, doesn't want to coach those other teams as much as he wants to coach the Steelers. That's part of the reason he lost an opportunity this week to replace Jim Mora Jr. as coach in Atlanta. Not that anyone would know underneath that calm, placid exterior.

"What people miss when they deal with him is that he's low-key, but very, very competitive, very focused," Henning said. "He wants to win and his actions follow through with that."

Whisenhunt has always been calm, even-tempered. But it does not belie his intensity, his toughness, nor does it adversely affect his performance.

That was apparent as far back as 1980 when Georgia Tech, in a game against unbeaten and No. 1-ranked Notre Dame, asked Whisenhunt to play quarterback after injuries felled its starter and top backup after a couple series. The Yellow Jackets were 1-8 at the time. And Whisenhunt, a walk-on freshman, wasn't really a quarterback. He was a receiver/defensive back.

But he kept Georgia Tech in the game, and the Yellow Jackets managed a 3-3 tie that derailed Notre Dame's season.

"You knew he was athletic, but when he stepped in to play in that Notre Dame game, you knew the guy had more," Ben Utt, a former NFL guard who was captain of the 1980 Georgia Tech team, told the Atlanta Journal Constitution. "Especially in hindsight, just the composure you have to have to be able to do that."

Whisenhunt has always done that, whether on game day or on the practice field, whether in uniform or coaching sweats.

"He has this calm presence about him that he will function as if he did it all his life," said former Georgia Tech coach Bill Curry. "He never panics and he's absolutely brilliant.

"He'll make the call that makes the most sense, that requires calm and presence. He won't be plucking things out of the air or choking on a hot dog. Coaches do all kinds of crazy stuff; there is a legion of ways they can panic in those situations. This guy is cold-blooded in the clutch."

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Whisenhunt did not always want to be a football coach. When he retired after eight seasons as a tight end/H-back in the NFL, he thought about being a professional golfer, not a far-fetched thought for a person who grew up in Augusta, Ga. So he worked on his game for six months at Willow Springs Country Club in Roswell, Ga., lowering his handicap to 4 and even qualifying for the 1994 U.S. Mid-Amateur.

But, at age 31, staring at the same reality that eventually smacks most professional athletes who desire to be professional golfers, Whisenhunt thought it was time to do something else.

So he called his old position coach with the Falcons, Rod Dowhower, who was in line to become head coach at Vanderbilt University. Whisenhunt asked him if he needed an assistant coach. And, in 1995, a new career was started.

"I didn't know if I felt I could really succeed at it, but I thought it felt like the right thing to do," Whisenhunt said. "If there's anything that felt right, it was that first year at Vanderbilt. I got back into the game."

It began the ascent that has seen Whisenhunt go from position coach to Steelers offensive coordinator in 2004 to maybe the most viable -- certainly the most-interviewed -- head-coaching candidate in the NFL. Last week, a whirlwind tour took Whisenhunt and his wife, Alice, to Atlanta, Arizona and back home to Pittsburgh to interview with the Miami Dolphins in Wayne Huizenga's private jet.

He was the first person Falcons owner Arthur Blank wanted to interview and probably could have had the job if he didn't want to wait to see what would happen with the Steelers. Now he is among what is believed to be a field of four, competing with Russ Grimm and two other candidates -- Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin -- to become head coach of the team whose offense he has directed the past three seasons.

"Tough guy, extremely tough," Dowhower said the other day from Cape Creek, Ariz., where he is retired from coaching. "A tremendous competitor.

"They asked him to do things that were never asked of a tight end before in Atlanta and that's slam-block 300-pound tackles. And he would do it over and over and over again. Never said a word."

Former Pitt coach Foge Fazio was a linebackers/special teams coach with the Falcons, and he always remembered Whisenhunt's toughness. When Fazio went to the Jets and head coach Bruce Coslett was looking for a tight end, he recommended Whisenhunt, who ended up playing three seasons in New York.

"He was always in there watching film and he knew the playbook inside and out," Fazio said. "He knew everyone on that offense and where they were supposed to be. He knew the pass protections. He knew all that. He knew what everyone was doing."

He still does, mainly because of his job description.

When Whisenhunt replaced the pass-happy Mike Mularkey as offensive coordinator in 2004, the Steelers jumped from No. 31 to No. 2 in rushing in the NFL and became the first AFC team to win 15 games in a regular season. When they needed to win their final four regular-season games last season to make the playoffs -- a streak that ended with the Super Bowl championship -- the Steelers leaned on their running game to average 185 yards rushing in that stretch.

But Whisehunt saved his best for the playoffs, and everyone around the NFL noticed.

The Steelers developed into one of the league's most diverse, explosive and productive offenses, a unit that was maddening to defend because of the big-play ability of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and the threat of hammering the opposition with the run. The Steelers averaged nearly 28 points a game in their eight-game winning streak and scored on 13 of 28 possessions in the AFC playoffs.

And, yet, there were specific instances of his artistry:

After falling behind, 10-0 and 17-7, in Cincinnati, he pulled out a gadget play that resulted in a 43-yard touchdown from Roethlisberger to Cedrick Wilson to highlight a 24-point run.

In Indianapolis, he put in a special play to tight end Heath Miller that resulted in a 36-yard completion on the second play of the game, immediately setting the tone for what would be a 21-18 victory.

In the AFC championship game in Denver, Whisenhunt put in two plays he thought could work against the Broncos' defensive scheme, one that resulted in Roethlisberger's pump-fake 12-yard touchdown to Wilson, the other a 12-yard touchdown run by Jerome Bettis that was negated by a penalty.

That stamped him a candidate to be an NFL head coach.

"Nobody knows how someone will do until they're a head coach," Dowhower said. "That's all relative to the team you're with and the people you're able to hire and players you have. But I have no doubts he will be. The results will be based on the types of players he has and the support he has. I think he'll handle the rest."

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-10-2007, 11:48 PM
I know this thread is about Wiz but here is a little history on Grimm, seems to be more like Cowher -- minus the spit.

Grimm: His knowledge of game makes him logical pick

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Russ Grimm, star quarterback and linebacker in high school, fumed that day Jackie Sherrill told him he would join the ranks of those nameless football players, offensive linemen.

Grimm, a sophomore at Pitt who passed up his dream to go to Linebacker U at Penn State over a perceived snub, was no offensive lineman. He was Dick Butkus, Jack Lambert, Mike Curtis. He punished offensive linemen; now, Sherrill wanted to convert him into one, and a center at that? No way.

"He was ticked off," said Foge Fazio, the assistant coach who recruited Grimm for the Panthers. "He was going to transfer to West Virginia. He was mad and didn't come around to our workouts."

Grimm called Joe Pendry, the assistant coach who recruited him for the Mountaineers. Two days later, Fazio convinced Grimm to attend the Panthers' workout. There, standing before him, was Pendry.

"I talked Jackie into hiring Joe as our offensive line coach," said Fazio, laughing about the scene this week while driving to his winter home in Florida.

Grimm reluctantly accepted the new assignment, something Sherrill says today that he advised him was coming.

"He had growth potential," Sherrill said. "I kept kidding him, 'Russ, you're going from fullback to quarterback to linebacker; you keep eating, you're going to go down' [to offensive line]. Sure enough, he went down."

And up, and up, in weight and stature. Grimm was the center on one of Pitt's great lines in 1979-80 that included tackles Mark May and Jim Covert and guards Emil Boures and Paul Dunn, Grimm's roommate. He then moved to guard after the Redskins drafted him in the third round and became one of the famous Hogs that helped forge three Super Bowl victories in Washington. Grimm made the NFL's all-1980s team as its first-string guard. Among his Redskins linemates were May and Joe Jacoby.

Today, he's a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the Steelers' head-coaching job. It could be a good month for Grimm, 47.

"I hope he gets both, he deserves it," said Joe Bugel, his line coach and mentor in Washington, where Bugel has returned as an assistant. "I always felt he'd be one heck of a football coach. He's super smart -- the guy can make a difference on the sideline with the best of them. He's a leader; guys will follow, and he can kick your butt in a lot of different ways. He'd be good for that football team."

Grimm, a native of Scottdale, Pa., who played at Southmoreland High School, began his coaching career under Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs with the Redskins in 1992, first as tight ends coach and later as offensive line coach under Norv Turner. He joined the Steelers as their offensive line coach in 2001 and added the title of assistant head coach in '04.

He revels in the Hogs image, a down-and-dirty guard who bulldozed the way for Hall of Fame running back John Riggins. Yet, his reputation among those who know him is as a sharp former quarterback who knew every player's assignment and could analyze a defense and what it was trying to do.

"He was probably one of the smartest players I ever played with," said Boures, who also played for the Steelers in the 1980s. "That's saying a lot because I played with a lot of great guys. He was probably the smartest player as far as recognizing film work and the whole bit."

Said Sherrill: "He was very intelligent as a player and very aware because he's played all those positions. The game came easy to him. He moved to offensive line and it was easy for him."

His former teammates and coaches believe his training as a quarterback and linebacker in high school probably helped develop that awareness. When the Redskins once were down to two healthy quarterbacks, Gibbs was asked who his emergency No. 3 would be and he pointed to Grimm.

"Everything he ever tried, he was successful at," said John Bacha, his football coach at Southmoreland, where they named the field after Grimm last year. "He was my best athlete and he was a good quarterback. He was good on rollouts, he'd get on the corner with that 210 pounds and had the option to run or throw."

Grimm also played center on the Southmoreland basketball team and threw the javelin.

"He could have been a four-sport star," Bacha said. "He could have left the track, walked over and hit a baseball out of the park. He was an exceptionally good athlete."

Grimm's reputation as a coach grew quickly once the Steelers hired him. The Chicago Bears were ready to hire him as their head coach in 2004 but Grimm balked when told management would help him pick his staff. Gibbs wanted to hire him as his offensive coordinator when he returned to the Redskins in '04, but Grimm was under contract to the Steelers, who did not want to lose him. They promoted him to assistant head coach.

"He's been our little hidden secret for many years now," Steelers All-Pro guard Alan Faneca said. "He'll make a great head coach."

Grimm, who coached from the sideline with the Steelers, presented the halftime adjustments to the players in the locker room for their offense and worked closely with coordinator Ken Whisenhunt on the game plan.

"When he talks, they'll listen," said Fazio, who coached the 2000 season with Grimm with the Redskins. "A lot of people in the league go to Russ for advice on pass protection. You have to be a bright guy to know all the defenses."

"I know of no better football man," said Dunn, now an assistant on Dave Wannstedt's staff at Pitt. "He's a guy who knows the X's and O's of the game, a guy who can discuss coverages and blitzes and footwork from a technique standpoint of the defensive backs and linebackers, too. His knowledge of the game is superior."

Grimm is known as a teacher, a prankster and someone who can be demanding.

"He's going to teach all day and let you go out and do what you have to do," Faneca said. "He's not the kind of guy to say something just to say something. He's not going to beat a dead horse on the sideline. But he'll let you know when you mess up and he's going to correct it.

"When he first got here, I thought I knew a lot and we were doing complicated things before. But when he got here, that completely changed. Our learning of the game up front just grew tremendously."

Can he crack the whip?

"Are you kidding me?" Boures said. "I know I wouldn't want to be on the other end of it."

Yet after almost every game, Grimm is host to a tailgate party in the Steelers' parking lot for everyone who wants to attend, coaches and players. Many of them did, win or lose.

"That's a good thing for team camaraderie," Faneca said. "Besides being together on the practice field, it was good hanging out time."

Dunn noted that while Bill Cowher was a competitive person, he never met anyone as competitive as Grimm.

"He wants to win in everything he does."

Pitt played in the 1980 Gator Bowl against South Carolina, where Grimm would go up against a good nose tackle, Emanuel Weaver. The late Joe Moore, who coached Grimm at Pitt after Pendry and became close with him the rest of his life, used the kind of psychology that Grimm would later adopt as a coach.

In practices leading up to the Gator Bowl, Moore told both Pitt guards to remind Grimm that they would help him block Weaver on every play.

"That just ticked Russ off," said Boures, one of those guards. "He came to us and said, 'Don't come near me.' "

Pitt mauled South Carolina, 37-9, in no small part because Grimm smothered Weaver -- without help from his guards.

It's that kind of sense of purpose that Grimm brought to coaching.

"He's from the area, grew up in the area, played ball at Pitt," Mark May said. "He's blue-collar. He was hard-nosed and physical and that's the way he's going to coach."

Stlrs4Life
01-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Man, after reading all of that now, I'm not sure which one I'd want cause I want both of them. So now I guess, I'll be happy if it is either of the 2.

coachspeak33
01-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Whisenhunt's play calling on 1st down this year makes me want Grimm as the new HC...

we are the Steelers... we play home games in Pittsburgh... not exactly favorable conditions for 35-40 pass attempts per game....

give me a former (and almost hall of fame) O lineman... one who is from Pittsburgh....one who will give me a running game.... make the game simple for Ben through play action fakes... keep the D rested....

Sound good to anyone else?

Big D
01-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Whisenhunt's play calling on 1st down this year makes me want Grimm as the new HC...

we are the Steelers... we play home games in Pittsburgh... not exactly favorable conditions for 35-40 pass attempts per game....

give me a former (and almost hall of fame) O lineman... one who is from Pittsburgh....one who will give me a running game.... make the game simple for Ben through play action fakes... keep the D rested....

Sound good to anyone else?

sure does. It also helps that grimm has had Bill Cowher and Joe Gibbs as mentors.

nicesteel4life
01-12-2007, 08:44 AM
I am really starting to lean towards Grimm, More and more i read and the longer I have to think about it. Truly. I would like to change all my votes!

tony hipchest
01-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Grimm seems like that cop or judge you can see out at a christmas or new years eve party who you can sit with and slam some brews (or 4 or 6) and then the next day he still write you a ticket or throw you in jail if you screw up.

im not sure whiz is that guy

Elvis
01-12-2007, 05:16 PM
:tt02: Grimm would definitely be my selection between these two candidates..:wave:

SCSTILLER
01-13-2007, 09:57 AM
I like both of them! Out of all the other interviewees they are my top two. I almost fell off my chair in disbeleif when I read we interviewed Gailey. I only have one fear about Grimm, if he is hired Whiz is off to Miami or Arizona and we will have a new OC. I hope the new OC will not radically change the playbook and keep it familiar for Ben.

Big D
01-13-2007, 10:34 AM
See i'm not worried if whisenhunt leaves. I dont know why qb coach mark whipple doesnt get more credit for bens success.

HometownGal
01-13-2007, 01:15 PM

Our OL sucked this year for the most part, up until the last quarter of the season. For this reason and my preference of having either an OC or a DC as a HC, I much prefer Whisenhunt. :thumbsup:

Big D
01-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Our OL sucked this year for the most part, up until the last quarter of the season. For this reason and my preference of having either an OC or a DC as a HC, I much prefer Whisenhunt. :thumbsup:

I think i'm going to start a thread with the pole option of who would you rather have Grimm or Whisenhunt :computer: :smile:

HometownGal
01-13-2007, 02:27 PM
I think i'm going to start a thread with the pole option of who would you rather have Grimm or Whisenhunt :computer: :smile:

I think I'm going to heave. On second thought, I think I'm going to give you a kick in your hiney. Assume the position, buster. :flap: :wink02: :buttkick:

Big D
01-13-2007, 02:29 PM
:crutches:

Big D
01-14-2007, 11:31 AM
i dont know if this has already been posted
Arizona Republic (registration required): "The Cardinals' second interview with Steelers assistant Ken Whisenhunt carried over from Friday to Saturday, but that doesn't mean he has become the team's top candidate for the job."

steveironcity
01-14-2007, 11:38 AM
i dont know if this has already been posted
Arizona Republic (registration required): "The Cardinals' second interview with Steelers assistant Ken Whisenhunt carried over from Friday to Saturday, but that doesn't mean he has become the team's top candidate for the job."

Wiz is the new coach of arizona

tony hipchest
01-14-2007, 11:38 AM
jay glazer just reported that arizona has hired whiz

steveironcity
01-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks for a great job in your career as O coordinator. Good luck in Arizona!!!

Big D
01-14-2007, 11:40 AM
jay glazer just reported that arizona has hired whiz

so i think at this point it's fair to say that grimm will be the next coach of the steelers.

stillers4me
01-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Do you know something we don't know??

stillers4me
01-14-2007, 11:41 AM
whoa..............................

tony hipchest
01-14-2007, 11:42 AM
he was hired today. there will be an official announcement later.

steveironcity
01-14-2007, 11:42 AM
They announced it on the Fox pre game show.

floodcitygirl
01-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Wow......

stillers4me
01-14-2007, 11:43 AM
well.......alrighty then........our loss is their gain.............let's hope this works out for the Rooney's plans.

tony hipchest
01-14-2007, 11:44 AM
so i think at this point it's fair to say that grimm will be the next coach of the steelers.no, im not necessarily counting on it. i really want to see what the cardinals are paying whiz. if he gota killer deal like $4 mil/yr grimm is gonna want the same.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-14-2007, 11:45 AM
he was hired today. there will be an official announcement later.

Where did you get the info Tony?....and should we go ahead and have Grimms name painted on the HC door?

tony hipchest
01-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Where did you get the info Tony?....and should we go ahead and have Grimms name painted on the HC door?jay glazer reported it. whiz and grimm have the same agent so i think the value of whiz's contract will dictate what grimm wants. if whiz gets 3-4 mil/ year the rooneys may tell grimm to not let the door hit him on the way out.

Livinginthe past
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6369102

NM

floodcitygirl
At this point, I wouldn't spend money on engraving anyone's name. Who knows???? We can only hope the Rooneys do.

Big D
no, im not necessarily counting on it. i really want to see what the cardinals are paying whiz. if he gota killer deal like $4 mil/yr grimm is gonna want the same.

I still think there are things we dont know going on behind the scene. Like were the rooneys not impressed with there interview with Whisenhunt? or could it be possible we could have a college coach we have our sights on.

stillers4me
01-14-2007, 11:50 AM
So now we not only need a HC but an OC as well.....

Big D
01-14-2007, 11:53 AM
So now we not only need a HC but an OC as well.....

i'm not worried about that. We still have arians or whipple that can take over. If not i'm available to take the job

tony hipchest
01-14-2007, 12:01 PM
I still think there are things we dont know going on behind the scene. Like were the rooneys not impressed with there interview with Whisenhunt? or could it be possible we could have a college coach we have our sights on.it seems like the rooneys have a budgeted value for a head coach etched in stone and are looking for someone who will meet that price. landing a hc with lovie smith type value may be the main concern. who knows, once the patriots are knocked out of the playoffs today maybe josh mcdaniels of the gets a call. who, you say? exactly. its a gamble, but one that wont cost alot.

tony hipchest
01-14-2007, 12:02 PM
bens says he will miss him alot, that they had a great relationship. he doesnt look to enthusiastic about a new regime coming in. he said if the rooney want to tear it down and rebuild thats there perogative though. hes trying to be stoic about the situation.

BB2W
01-14-2007, 12:06 PM
They just said Whiz was offered the Arizona job...

Duck44
01-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Cardinals | Whisenhunt to be team's next head coach
Sun, 14 Jan 2007 09:12:11 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Arizona Cardinals have tabbed Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt as the team's next head coach. Whisenhunt and the Cardinals have agreed on a deal, and Whisenhunt has begun to address his coaching staff, although it is believed he will keep most if not all of the team's defensive staff.

Atlanta Dan
01-14-2007, 12:24 PM
When the Steelers let Whiz go to Arizona for a second interview it was clear Whiz was not going to get the Steelers job.

Hope this does not turn out to be a $$$ issue - being outbid by the Bidwells would be embarassing.

2007 schedule includes the Steelers traveling to Arizona - think Whiz will be circling that game on the schedule?

Big D
01-14-2007, 12:33 PM
When the Steelers let Whiz go to Arizona for a second interview it was clear Whiz was not going to get the Steelers job.

Hope this does not turn out to be a $$$ issue - being outbid by the Bidwells would be embarassing.

2007 schedule includes the Steelers traveling to Arizona - think Whiz will be circling that game on the schedule?

I'm sure he will. It's unfortunate he decided to go to arizona. Arizona is one of those coaching graveyards.

Blitzburgh
01-14-2007, 12:41 PM
F ... Cowher for not getting behind Whiz (or Grimm for that matter) and giving the Rooney's his endorsement. As far as I'm concerned not only did Cowher quit on his team this past season and left early on his contract, Cowher screwed the Rooney's over BIG TIME by sabatoging the coaching search.

Atlanta Dan
01-14-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm sure he will. It's unfortunate he decided to go to arizona. Arizona is one of those coaching graveyards.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results - no franchise had a sorrier history than the Steelers when Chuck Noll came in.

it is a QB driven league and I think Matt Leinart has a lot of upside.

Unfortunately for Whiz (and maybe the Steelers?) he wanted the Steelers but apparently the Steelers did not want Whiz.

Atlanta Dan
01-14-2007, 12:47 PM
F ... Cowher for not getting behind Whiz (or Grimm for that matter) and giving the Rooney's his endorsement. As far as I'm concerned not only did Cowher quit on his team this past season and left early on his contract, Cowher screwed the Rooney's over BIG TIME by sabatoging the coaching search.

The Rooneys are big boys - the Cowher recommendation story (which was leaked by the front office, not Cowher) gives the Rooneys cover for either not being impressed with Whiz or Grimm (which I doubt) or not being impressed with their salary demands.

If relations between AJR II and Cowher are as frosty as it appears, I do not think AJR II gives a damn who Cowher thinks should be hired.

83-Steelers-43
01-14-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm sure Roethlisberger is not exactly thrilled by this news......

Indy_Steelers
01-14-2007, 12:55 PM
F ... Cowher for not getting behind Whiz (or Grimm for that matter) and giving the Rooney's his endorsement. As far as I'm concerned not only did Cowher quit on his team this past season and left early on his contract, Cowher screwed the Rooney's over BIG TIME by sabotaging the coaching search.:blah:

I do not think that Cowher "left early" on his contract. I think that the Rooney's would have let him go if he did not sign a contract extension because they would not want a "lame duck" coach. So I think the choice was an extension or nothing. I am also not sure that Cowher getting behind of either one of them would have necessarily helped. And I definitely do not think that Cowher gave up. If he had they would not of won 6 of their last 8 games.:dang:

tony hipchest
01-14-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm sure Roethlisberger is not exactly thrilled by this news......he heard the news live on the air. while he was composed you could tell he was a bit bothered. he said he was gonna miss whiz and they had a great relationship. i wonder who whiz makes his o-coord? whipple or arians? im thinking whipple.

Big D
01-14-2007, 01:03 PM
I think that if whiz starts taking some of our assistants with him that we should hire outside the organization

Atlanta Dan
01-14-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm sure Roethlisberger is not exactly thrilled by this news......

Kordell went to pieces after Gailey (and Yancey Thigpen) left, but IMHO Ben has the talent to soldier on - getting a new regime that will not indulge Ben might not be the worst thing for his longtime career prospects. For whatever reason he still was chucking it into coverage through the last game of the year.

Something was off with the offense all year and I do not think Whiz (or for that matter Grimm) escapes responsibility for that state of affairs.

Hopefully the Rooneys and the new HC will not have Ben sit in on the interviews for the new OC - that road led to Ray Sherman and total despair.

Atlanta Dan
01-14-2007, 01:06 PM
I think that if whiz starts taking some of our assistants with him that we should hire outside the organization

All the assistants are under contract - Whiz will need to build from scratch unless the Rooneys let him hire Steelers assistants.

Atlanta Dan
01-14-2007, 01:08 PM
he heard the news live on the air. while he was composed you could tell he was a bit bothered. he said he was gonna miss whiz and they had a great relationship. i wonder who whiz makes his o-coord? whipple or arians? im thinking whipple.

If we hire Grimm this team still needs a fresh set of eyes; an outside hire for OC would provide that, assuming LeBeau stays as DC.

Big D
01-14-2007, 01:11 PM
All the assistants are under contract - Whiz will need to build from scratch unless the Rooneys let him hire Steelers assistants.

yeah assistant coaches contracts are signed on napkins. So I think if Whisenhunt wants whipple or arians it probably woulnt be to hard for him to get them. Also rumor has it the defensive coaches will all stay.

tony hipchest
01-14-2007, 01:12 PM
If we hire Grimm this team still needs a fresh set of eyes; an outside hire for OC would provide that, assuming LeBeau stays as DC.do you think the steelers would consider the pats o-coord for head coach, convince grimm to stay as assistant for 1 more year (whoever doesnt win the cowher sweepstakes next year may come after grimm) and promote whichever offensive assistant whiz doesnt take?

Big D
01-14-2007, 01:13 PM
do you think the steelers would consider the pats o-coord for head coach, convince grimm to stay as assistant for 1 more year (whoever doesnt win the cowher sweepstakes next year may come after grimm) and promote whichever offensive assistant whiz doesnt take?

whats scary about josh mcdaniels is that he is only 28 years old. I would like them to at least get someone in there 30's.

Big D
01-14-2007, 01:16 PM
heres a few tid bits on Josh Mcdaniels
10. Josh McDaniels
Offensive coordinator, New England McDaniels is another young coach who is on the fast track to becoming a head coach. Belichick has a tremendous amount of respect for McDaniels' ability to keep defenses off balance with his play-calling. He is a smart, instinctive coach who has a great understanding of the Patriots' system in drafting and developing players. McDaniels is an outstanding evaluator of talent. He has done a great job with QB Tom Brady and is very similar to Jets head coach Eric Mangini in building team chemistry as it relates best to organizational concepts.
Josh McDaniels enters his sixth NFL season and his sixth season in New England. He joined the Patriots on March 1, 2001 as a personnel assistant in the scouting department and assisted the defensive coaching staff for three seasons. He began serving as the Patriots' quarterbacks coach in 2004 and was named offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach on January 20, 2006.
In the two seasons since he began serving as quarterbacks coach, McDaniels has worked closely with starting signal caller Tom Brady, helping him set career highs in major passing categories. In 2005, Brady led the NFL with a career-best 4,110 passing yards, a number that exceeded his previous career high by nearly 350 yards and represents the second highest yardage total in Patriots history. In 2004, Brady set a career high by recording a 92.6 passer rating, besting his previous career mark by six points.

In his two seasons working with McDaniels, Brady has compiled the top two passer ratings of his six-year career - 92.6 (2004) and 92.3 (2005). Additionally, Brady has consistently completed longer passes in his two seasons working with McDaniels, averaging 7.77 yards per attempt, more than a yard higher than his average of 6.62 yards per attempt in his three previous seasons as a starter.

Last season under McDaniels, Patriots quarterbacks threw 28 touchdown passes, tying the fourthhighest total for the position in franchise history. The mark was also achieved in 1986, 2002 and 2004, McDaniels' first season as quarterbacks coach. Also in 2005, the Patriots finished the season as the NFL's second-ranked passing offense (257.5 yards per game), marking the team's highest ranking in that category in 11 seasons.

In addition to assisting in Brady's continued development, McDaniels has tutored Matt Cassel, a four-year backup quarterback in college and a seventh- round draft choice in 2005. In the 2005 regularseason finale, Cassel threw his first two touchdown passes since high school as he led the Patriots on a fourth-quarter comeback against Miami that fell just two points short.

In 2004, McDaniels earned his first positional coaching responsibilities and worked with Brady to help the quarterback produce the highest passer rating of his career (92.9) and the second highest single-season passer rating in team history. Brady's 28 touchdown passes ranked second in the AFC and tied his career high set in 2002.

Upon his arrival in New England prior to the 2001 season, McDaniels served as a personnel assistant and quickly expanded his role to include film breakdown and scouting preparation for the defensive coaching staff. He became a coaching assistant in February of 2002. In that role, his responsibilities included film breakdown and scouting chart preparations for the defensive staff. In 2003, he drew additional responsibilities working with the defensive backs.

McDaniels began his coaching career in 1999 as a graduate assistant at Michigan State, working under head coach Nick Saban.

tony hipchest
01-14-2007, 01:17 PM
whats scary about josh mcdaniels is that he is only 28 years old. I would like them to at least get someone in there 30's.i agree, i dont want him, but the steelers may feel hes a gem in the rough like a young cowher or gruden.

plus if they have there mind made up that they are only gonna pay a 1st time head coach $2 mil or less, he may be the only taker. he'd probably do it for 1.5.

Atlanta Dan
01-14-2007, 01:18 PM
yeah assistant coaches contracts are signed on napkins. So I think if Whisenhunt wants whipple or arians it probably woulnt be to hard for him to get them. Also rumor has it the defensive coaches will all stay.

My point is the Steelers can get first call on whomever they want to keep - it was like several years ago when Mularkey wanted Whiz and ended up getting Clements after Mularkey was hired in Buffalo.

Big D
01-14-2007, 01:18 PM
i agree, i dont want him, but the steelers may feel hes a gem in the rough like a young cowher or gruden.

plus if they have there mind made up that they are only gonna pay a 1st time head coach $2 mil or less, he may be the only taker. he'd probably do it for 1.5.

I feel that the diamond in the rough is mike tomlin. I dont think he would demand a lot of money either. But do we even know that the steelers are being cheap with there head coaching search?

t-sizzlez
01-14-2007, 01:19 PM
o well...it may be good? does any1 else remember the bad play calls this year? you know...the shotguns on 3rd and 2...going away from the running game early....letting ben throw 35-40 passes per game? im not saying it was a good or bad move.... hes a good coach.... it may pay off but it might not...

Big D
01-14-2007, 01:20 PM
o well...it may be good? does any1 else remember the bad play calls this year? you know...the shotguns on 3rd and 2...going away from the running game early....letting ben throw 35-40 passes per game? im not saying it was a good or bad move.... hes a good coach.... it may pay off but it might not...

I certainly remeber. Thats why I never wanted whisenhunt to begin with.

Big D
01-14-2007, 01:22 PM
My point is the Steelers can get first call on whomever they want to keep - it was like several years ago when Mularkey wanted Whiz and ended up getting Clements after Mularkey was hired in Buffalo.

I understand what you are saying. Just like the raiders wanting Eric Mangini as there defensive cooordinator but the patsys wouldnt let him go so they got little buddy instead.

tony hipchest
01-14-2007, 01:28 PM
But do we even know that the steelers are being cheap with there head coaching search? yeah. you saw their offer to cowher didnt you?

Big D
01-14-2007, 01:29 PM
yeah. you saw their offer to cowher didnt you?

I didnt get the specifics of the offer they gave cowher

tony hipchest
01-14-2007, 01:57 PM
I didnt get the specifics of the offer they gave cowheri think it was 6.5 million for 4 years, which means that by year 4 cowher would probably only be the 15th highest paid coach. (just guessing by the steady inflation of the price of coaching).

Big D
01-14-2007, 02:06 PM
i think it was 6.5 million for 4 years, which means that by year 4 cowher would probably only be the 15th highest paid coach. (just guessing by the steady inflation of the price of coaching).

yeah but with the history with the cowher contract he would have been set for an extention by 2009.

Blitzburgh
01-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Cowher is gone ..... enough said.

Next?

BozMan
01-14-2007, 03:18 PM
Losing Whiz is terrible news. We needed to keep Whiz as either OC or HC for all the reasons Ron Cook mentioned (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07007/751959-87.stm) last week. Having Ben learn a new system after this bad season is not good at all.

I would have liked for the Steelers to make Grimm HC but entice Whiz to stay with a hefty raise and "assistant HC" title. I hope the Rooneys at least gave Whiz a counter offer to stay.

HometownGal
01-14-2007, 04:14 PM
I am not happy about losing Whiz to the Cards, but I am happy for him - he earned that HC position. :cheers:

I think it is safe to assume that Grimm is now the frontrunner, but I hope the Steelers take a second look at Tomlin and Rivera before deciding. I'd definitely give Grimm my support if he is the Rooneys' choice, but I definitely do have reservations about the guy.

MommyDoc
01-14-2007, 05:00 PM
I certainly hope that this means Russ will be their pick. I, personally, don't have any reservations. This is what he has alway dreamt of doing after his playing days were over. It is his destiny. I called my mom today and she is so thrilled. She adores Russ (he let her wear one of his SB rings on one of his trips home and she still tells everyone about it). She did tell me some sad news tho, that he just lost his grandmother last weekend, so I'm sad that she didn't get to stick around long enough to see him achieve his ultimate goal....or maybe it was her making it to Heaven and putting a bug into God's ear since we all know God is a Steeler fan.....lol......Coleen

lilyoder6
01-14-2007, 05:14 PM
it does suck that whiz went to ariz... but it also means that ari off might get a lot better since whiz is was a great OC coordinater and he will know how to use edge, matt, boldin, and fitz...

ricksteelers55
01-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Ok this is my point of view,Whiz is a good coach,but he might not be the man that we are looking for.When I hear people sayin that we should have done this and that it makes me laugh.No one's doin a better job than the Rooneys.If they decided to let Cards negociate with Whiz then there's a reason.Last year I think we didnt played well offensively and it's not only Big Ben's fault.

Now that Whiz is gone,I think that there's two possible scenarios

1st one- Russ Grimm is our new head coach,Mark Whipple the new OFF Coordinator.

2nd one- Mike Tomlin our new head coach and he brings whoever he wants as the OC.

My choice would be Tomlin,but I'd see a major problem with that move.Tomlin is a Tampa 2 type of guy.We already have Dick Lebeau as the father of the 3-4 defense.Now unless Tomlin let Dick Lebeau playin his type of defense or Lebeau converting to Tomlin's defense...there's an issue.

I personnally dont like Rivera even if he did good things with Bears.

My move would be

Tomlin HC,Whipple OC
Grimm stays if he wants to.

Next year we play 3-4 defense until good old Dick decides to call it quit,then Tomlin install the def scheme that he wants to

NV STEELERS 723
01-14-2007, 05:41 PM
I really thought we'd hire Whiz....but the Rooneys made great choice hiring Cowher when he had no HC exp...maybe it will be another like that...maybe Rivera ???? I'm pretty much thrown for a loop on this one, so anything could happen now..

Stillers43
01-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Personally, now that Whiz is gone, I want Grimm. I would also like to see them try to bring Mularkey back to the OC position. He was very similar to Whiz when he was our OC.

Mosca
01-14-2007, 07:02 PM
The longer it went on the more sure I was that they weren't going to hire Whiz. He was going to be a HC somewhere this year, so we were going to need an OC anyhow.

And we might not hire Grimm either.... I think if it was going to be Grimm it would already be Grimm.

All the best to Whiz, he's got some great talent to work with. He'll have some fun out there in the sun.

Stlrs4Life
01-14-2007, 07:22 PM
I certainly hope that this means Russ will be their pick. I, personally, don't have any reservations. This is what he has alway dreamt of doing after his playing days were over. It is his destiny. I called my mom today and she is so thrilled. She adores Russ (he let her wear one of his SB rings on one of his trips home and she still tells everyone about it). She did tell me some sad news tho, that he just lost his grandmother last weekend, so I'm sad that she didn't get to stick around long enough to see him achieve his ultimate goal....or maybe it was her making it to Heaven and putting a bug into God's ear since we all know God is a Steeler fan.....lol......Coleen

I agree. Plus if we hire Grimm, we more than likely keep LeBeau.

Good Luck Whiz!

MACH1
01-14-2007, 07:41 PM
I dont care witch one it is as long as its not Chan.

Atlanta Dan
01-14-2007, 07:46 PM
I dont care witch one it is as long as its not Chan.

If it's Chan I probably will not renew NFL Sunday Ticket (the equivalent for me of comitting NFL suicide)

PisnNapalm
01-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Son of a bitch....:banging:

SteelersHoss
01-14-2007, 08:16 PM
It's both good and bad news for Ken. First, he is a head coach now, but secondly, it is in Arizona. And they suck, always have, always will. He'll be fired in two years, not beacause he is a bad coach, but because it's Arizona

PisnNapalm
01-14-2007, 08:25 PM
It's both good and bad news for Ken. First, he is a head coach now, but secondly, it is in Arizona. And they suck, always have, always will. He'll be fired in two years, not beacause he is a bad coach, but because it's Arizona

I don't know that they will suck for very long. Matt Leinart anyone? Maybe Whiz is the key to jump start that team. Who knows...

NV STEELERS 723
01-14-2007, 08:37 PM
If it's Chan I probably will not renew NFL Sunday Ticket (the equivalent for me of comitting NFL suicide)

BS Dan !!!....your upset like I am... I thought it would be Whiz too... but now, I don't have a feel for who the Rooneys will hire..I thought Whiz would be the guy... he kinda has a chin too...

Now if I had to guess.................???????????????............. . I'm thinking they will go outside... Rivera or Tomlin have the best chance.....

Stu Pidasso
01-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Haven't read all the replies, so sorry if this has been brought up already:

The Steelers play Arizona next year, I wonder how we'll do, since Whiz knows our offense?

Atlanta Dan
01-14-2007, 08:42 PM
BS Dan !!!....your upset like I am... I thought it would be Whiz too... but now, I don't have a feel for who the Rooneys will hire..I thought Whiz would be the guy... he kinda has a chin too...

Now if I had to guess.................???????????????............. . I'm thinking they will go outside... Rivera or Tomlin have the best chance.....

I have been on record for some time as favoring an outside hire, but not Chan f***ing Gailey.

This has nothing to do with not hiring Whiz - Chan Gailey is a mediocre college coach and was fired from his only NFL HC job.

WWIIOwheelz
01-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Haven't read all the replies, so sorry if this has been brought up already:

The Steelers play Arizona next year, I wonder how we'll do, since Whiz knows our offense?

Well, he did, anyway. :wink02:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-14-2007, 08:44 PM
I really wanted the Whiz to be our coach.....
Im not sold on Grimm...

Im guessing that if we do not sign grimm as our head coach he will go somewhere else.
This in turn will make Dick L retire. and then we will be looking for a HEAD COACH, AN OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR ASSISTANT HEAD COACH AND A DEFENSIVE COACH.. right????????????????????

iloveben7
01-14-2007, 08:49 PM
I wanted to wish Ken Whisenhunt the best of luck in Arizona, but did anybody listen to KDKA 1020 radio this afternoon around 12:50pm? I was listening to it in the car and the guys on there said~just in from fox sports, ken whisenhunt got the Steelers head coaching job. They went around asking for fan reaction and everything. Someone messed up big time at fox sports. They got me all excited until I got home to hear that he went to Arizona. I sent them an email and everything!!

klick81
01-14-2007, 10:07 PM
The longer it went on the more sure I was that they weren't going to hire Whiz. He was going to be a HC somewhere this year, so we were going to need an OC anyhow.

And we might not hire Grimm either.... I think if it was going to be Grimm it would already be Grimm.

All the best to Whiz, he's got some great talent to work with. He'll have some fun out there in the sun.

I was thinking this. I don't think we'll go with Grimm.

MJ5150
01-14-2007, 11:25 PM
WOW! I just now heard. Yes, I was under a rock all day...with my family.

This is sad. Whiz chose some loser team like Arizona over staying here in Pittsburgh? Why didn't the Rooneys offer him the HC job? He SAID he WANTED it.

OK...I am mad right now. I need to go calm down.

-Mike

sumo
01-15-2007, 01:46 AM
WOW! I just now heard. Yes, I was under a rock all day...with my family.

This is sad. Whiz chose some loser team like Arizona over staying here in Pittsburgh? Why didn't the Rooneys offer him the HC job? He SAID he WANTED it.

OK...I am mad right now. I need to go calm down.

-Mike

He would have stayed if the Rooneys were going to make him an offer - I follow the Cards also and I can say for sure us Cards fans are glad to see him - you have to be optimistic every year in Az! -

Preacher
01-15-2007, 02:28 AM
i am not sold on Wiz either though, so I am not that disappointed.

Remember the run our assistant coaches have had as head coaches in the NFL.

I still would like to see Riveria, just because I am not sold on our defensive scheme the last few years.

Steel Pit
01-15-2007, 02:59 AM
I trust that the Ronney's will hire the right man. I'm pulling for any of the canidates over Grimm. Grimm hasn't proven that he's even remotely close to being head coach material.

I ask the Grimm supporters this, What has Russ Grimm done to convince you that he's head coach material? I'm serious, SCHOOL ME with your answers. I mean WOW, he's been our offensive line coach and was recently GIVEN the title of "assistant head coach". That's not impressing me. He's coaching our offensive linemen who have steadily declined for 2 seasons. What has this man done to impress you?

Hell Darren Perry is as viable a canidate for the head coaching position and better yet he's known as a Steeler rather than a Redskin. Why aren't any of us pulling for Perry? He carries the same damn credentials as Grimm.

Steeldude
01-15-2007, 05:38 AM
whoever becomes the coach has a little rebuilding to do. starting with a sad group of LBs.

why all the hype for whisenhunt? the guy ran a predictable steelers' offense. what was it about the guy that fans liked so much they wanted him as a HC?

Justin Otstott
01-15-2007, 07:18 AM

as sad as it is...I have to agree...I feel tha same way :banging:

Mosca
01-15-2007, 08:11 AM
whoever becomes the coach has a little rebuilding to do. starting with a sad group of LBs.

why all the hype for whisenhunt? the guy ran a predictable steelers' offense. what was it about the guy that fans liked so much they wanted him as a HC?

I think it was that the players liked him for the next coach, that he has a leadership style like Cowher's.

Remember that everything that we know about the situation is filtered through the media. If Bouchette wants Whiz, then he'll write stories that will make you want Whiz, too. If O'Brien wants Grimm, he'll do the same (I have no idea who wants who, since I don't get to read those guys). Writers like guys that they're used to. If a candidate has a bad rep with the press, he won't get good ink.

In the end,

1) It's the Rooney's money

2) The Rooneys want to be profitable; they have a budget

3) They know that in order to be profitable they have to win, and to win you have to spend at least some

4) The Rooneys are winners, they hate losing. No way the Steelers will turn into a doormat team. The tradition and the team personality has been established. The talent is in place.

The future is exciting. It will be different, but fun. One thing I like is that it doesn't appear that we are going to recycle old talent. The future is bright, very bright indeed!

Tom

Haiku_Dirtt
01-15-2007, 02:19 PM
He would have stayed if the Rooneys were going to make him an offer - I follow the Cards also and I can say for sure us Cards fans are glad to see him - you have to be optimistic every year in Az! -

Card fans should be glad. And Whiz should be too.

1) He's not replacing a Hall of Famer.

2) He has a young QB and excellent young receivers without the constrictive history of running the ball. 'Fly Air-Whiz'

3) He not only gets to play the NFC West but he gets to do it in a palace-like venue.

Matt Leinart has to be one of the happiest NFL QB's not playing in the post-season. For all the knocks on this guy, I guarantee that Ken Whiz will not have to read about him being in a courtroom anytime soon...or an emergency room.

MACH1
01-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Card fans should be glad. And Whiz should be too.

1) He's not replacing a Hall of Famer.

2) He has a young QB and excellent young receivers without the constrictive history of running the ball. 'Fly Air-Whiz'

3) He not only gets to play the NFC West but he gets to do it in a palace-like venue.

Matt Leinart has to be one of the happiest NFL QB's not playing in the post-season. For all the knocks on this guy, I guarantee that Ken Whiz will not have to read about him being in a courtroom anytime soon...or an emergency room.

And in that weak a** division they could go 8-8 and win it. I could be wrong but I think they sweep the suckhawks this year.

Showdaddeee
01-15-2007, 06:15 PM
The Cardinals got a great coach there. To bad we don't hire from with in.

A.M.
01-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Now the reason he probably went was because he is obviously an offensive minded coach and obviously there is a great offense there...but he just looks like a steelers coach!!!

Preacher
01-15-2007, 06:32 PM

I have to disagree

1. When a coach leaves a team, he leaves the decision making process as well. It is not Cowher's, or ANY OTHER COACHES responsibility to APPOINT another head coach.

2. On that not, the Rooneys already knew what they were or were not getting in Wiz. As a result, Wiz for some reason did not measure up.

3. The Rooney's track record over the last two coaches is excellent, SO GIVE THEM CREDIT. Don't blame Cowher for the Rooney's choices, and don't prejudge a choice, by judging who they SHOULD HAVE picked. What if they knew Wiz wasn't the disciplinarian that Cowher was? Would you accept that?

4. Name me a Steeler Assistant coach that has done well as head coach? What is the percentage? Do you really want to bet against the percentages for the next 15 years? I sure don't.

polamalufan43
01-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Well, I am sure gonna miss the Whiz. I hope he does well in Arizona, even when we play them. And that shows how much respect I have for the guy.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Steeldude
01-15-2007, 09:27 PM
The Cardinals got a great coach there. To bad we don't hire from with in.

you mean may have a good coach.

Hines0wnz
01-16-2007, 01:10 AM
His first monumental task will be turning all that underachieving talent into more wins. Hopefully he learned from Cowher about getting a lead then "taking the air out of the ball" in route to victory. Good luck to him....he will surely need it.

MJ5150
01-16-2007, 01:39 AM
IThe Rooney's track record over the last two coaches is excellent, SO GIVE THEM CREDIT.

You're right. I've calmed down since yesterday.

I am so sad to see Whiz leave for Arizona. He may be a genius, but that won't matter in Arizona. That team always has been lame no matter who plays or coaches for them. I just hate to see a nice guy like Whiz get spit out like he will in a year or two.

-Mike

Big D
01-16-2007, 09:33 AM
You're right. I've calmed down since yesterday.

I am so sad to see Whiz leave for Arizona. He may be a genius, but that won't matter in Arizona. That team always has been lame no matter who plays or coaches for them. I just hate to see a nice guy like Whiz get spit out like he will in a year or two.

-Mike

I maybe in the minority here. But i'm actually glad to see him go. I think if he would have been promoted here it would take away steeler football. I love the pound the ball and play defense mentality. I dont like watching an air circus on sundays.

rags1336
01-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Now that the Primaries are over we here at the campaign headquarters for Team Tomlin are getting pumped up for the race ahead of us. We will show that Mike Tomlin has what it takes to be the next head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. History has been very good to the Steelers, and all history has to do is repeat itself for Tomlin to be named HC. Flashback to 1992: The final three candidates to replace Chuck Noll were 'Mean' Joe Green, Dave Wandestadt(sp?), and a young unheard of William Laird Cowher. So you had your successful hall-of-fame former player, your successful Pro-Coordinator, and a young rising star. Now fast foward to 2007: The final three candidates are Russ Grimm (hall-of-fame caliber former player), Ron Rivera (successful coordinator), and Mike Tomlin (rising star). Although it would have been nice to dream about 'Mean' Joe coaching the Steelers, I don't think anyone would take away the past 15 years and the Rooney's selection of a young 34 year old Bill Cowher. Now we have a young 34 year old Mike Tomlin, who dispite his age already has 12 years of expirience coaching, on both sides of the ball (Tomlin originally played WR at William and Mary and coached WR's at Virginia Military Institute and Arkansas State). Before becoming defensive coordinator for the Vikings Tomlin was an assistant coach for the Tampa Bay Bucs which had one of the best defenses in recent history and a Super Bowl win, in which Tomlin's DB's can take a lot of credit for (Dexter Jackson was the Super Bowl MVP). This year the Minnesota Vikings ended the season one slot above the Steelers in total defense, so they were just a little bit better (the offense was horrible though which explained their 6-10 record) and that was just Tomlin's first year as coordinator. Throw this in as some food for thought, if you want to talk about linage Tomlin was given his first NFL job and was mentored by Tony Dungy. Now take that back further: who first hired and mentored Tony Dungy? Thats right Chuck Noll! Thats the Steeler connection that every fan looks for. One of the biggest knocks on Tomlin is that he is from the line of Noll and Dungy and therefore he is a deciple of the 'Tampa 2' defensive scheme which the Steelers do not currently have the personel to run with their 3-4 zone blitzing scheme, but check out this quote about what Tomlin ran in Minnesota:

According to the St. Paul Pioneer Press: "Teams are realizing the Vikings aren't using the Tampa 2 too much. Sure, it's their base defense, but the Vikings mix in plenty of other schemes: Cover 1 (man-to-man coverage), a three-deep zone and zone blitzes. Really, the Vikings mostly use the Cover 2 in long third-down situations or when they're protecting a lead." [1]

Here's another one from Wikipedia:

At Tampa Bay Tomlin coached alongside Tony Dungy, Monte Kiffin, and Rod Marinelli learning the Cover 2 defense that many people refer to as "Tampa 2" system. At Minnesota he has instilled this system but has blitzed much more than typical of the system, in order to utilize his player's strengths and pressure the quarterback more.

It sounds like Tomlin is an adaptable coach who would incorperate the Steelers strength, I forsee a Steelers defense who can switch between the 4-3 and 3-4 depending on what the game situation demands especially if Lebeau remains the DC and we have the 'Tampa 2' deciple and the 3-4 guru on the same team. The Steelers do like defensive minded coaches, and Mike Tomlin is the rising star of defensive coaches, just as Bill Cowher was 15 years ago.

dSharp
01-16-2007, 02:50 PM
I have nothing against Grimm if he becomes the HC, but I've had this gut feeling it will be Tomlin since Whiz went to Arizona....

...and it isn't a sickening gut feeling either.

rags1336
01-16-2007, 02:53 PM
For those of you who sound like everyone in the media who keep saying grimm grimm grimm grimm :blah:, back it up, because I am not sold on him. can anyone offer something different besides continuity? Just because this guy was o-line coach under Cowher does not mean it will still be Cowher's team next year if we hired Grimm, Grimm will run it his own way on his own terms, not Cowhers. So what do you see in Grimm that would make him such a fabulous coach?

stlrtruck
01-16-2007, 03:17 PM
I don't see anything in him that speaks of continuity over more than 1 or 2 years. I'd rather get a coach that has a better chance at longevity. And maybe, like the way Cowher moved on, it's time for the Steelers to find a different coach and move on from the Cowher days. It's a new day in Pittsburgh Steelers football - maybe there should be all new faces too!

stlrtruck
01-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Wow after reading that, I might have to abandon the Rivera band wagon and hop on the Tomlin one!

Big D
01-16-2007, 03:27 PM
i've been on this band wagon for a long time
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=12060
He comes from the buccaneers coaching family that so far has consisted of marvin lewis, Lovie Smith, Rod marinelli, herman edwards, and even there current coordinator isnt to shabby himself. In Mike Tomlins 5 years in Tampa he helped take the bucs to the number one defense twice. His guidence currently has the vikings defense rated number 12. At the age of 34 he is a young and up and comming head coach. And if hired at the age of 34 he would ironically enough be the same age as bill cowher was when Cowher came to the steelers. I think Tomlin would be a great choice and keep the steeler legacy alive

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=12923
Is anyone else watching this viking-bear game. The vikings defense has stuffed rexy and the bears all game. Mike Tomlin is proving to me more and more that he would be a great steeler head coach

Stillers43
01-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Some very good points. I hope whoever is here keeps Lebeau around. Who is are next OC?

WWIIOwheelz
01-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Great read, thanks! He sounds like a very capable candidate.

alittlejazzbird
01-16-2007, 03:55 PM
The Associated Press article about the Steelers' coach search mentioned that Tomlin "had an excellent interview" last week but didn't cite the source....perhaps someone asked him how he thought it had gone? Or did the Rooneys comment at all on the interviews? I live out of Pittsburgh so I don't see news reports....

I've done research on all three candidates, and while it's tempting to think Russ Grimm would offer the "safest" choice and represent continuity, what I've read about Mike Tomlin is impressive, despite his age and relative inexperience (relative to the other two candidates, that is).

Personally, based on my research, all three candidates bring great things to the table, and I'll be happy with any of them. Trusting the Rooneys to make the right decision for the team (hey, they have a pretty good track record over the last few decades!), I think Tomlin could be a very exciting spark for a very talented team that showed more than a little stagnation last season.

tony hipchest
01-16-2007, 06:05 PM
listenning to some clips of whiz at the arizona press conference today and it was hard to distinguish his tone and demanor from cowhers. i hope he can have the same impact on the cardinals that s. payton did with the saints.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-16-2007, 06:30 PM
RIGHT NOW>>> 7:30 pm

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-16-2007, 06:34 PM
He has the superbowl 40 ring on......Its huge...bling bling..

MommyDoc
01-16-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm still for Russ here.....maybe it is my personal connection since I went to HS with him and have followed his career all the way through, and I'm sure that is part of it, but I just feel that he is a great leader and team builder. I think the way he had tailgating parties for the guys, win or lose, after the home games, were a huge motivating/team-building move on his part. I just hope you guys haven't managed to turn my husband (WWIIOwheelz) over the the Tomlin camp!

WWIIOwheelz
01-16-2007, 06:47 PM
4 hours that meeting has gone on, now.....

*ducks*

I don't know, I see a lot of upside for Tomlin (and consistency with the Rooneys hiring long-term candidates), but I know Russ would be fantastic for the job.

tony hipchest
01-16-2007, 06:56 PM
ken was interviewed on the nfl network. when asked why he was the coach of the cardinals and not the steelers he simply replied "i wasnt offered the job".

so we know (taking his his word) he didnt have any price demands that werent met from the rooneys.

Stlrs4Life
01-16-2007, 08:06 PM
What did he have to say? I don't get the NFL Network.

OneForTheToe
01-16-2007, 11:23 PM
edited, I posted in wrong thread

Elvis
01-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Now, first of all this is just my opinion on Whisenhunt.
:tt02: I am just kind of glad that he has taken the Arizona job. I just dont think that he is the kind of guy that I would want to take over our team at this or any time. He is more of a pass happy kind of guy and there is no tellin' where I team would be in 5 years time. I am Not against passing the ball a little more than in the past but I still believe that a great running game and great defense wins championships. Maybe I am a little old fashioned but I love the smash mouth football of the past. Good luck to Ken and the Cardnals and he will or should be a good fit for that organization.:wave:

Indy_Steelers
01-17-2007, 01:11 PM
I am just kind of glad that he has taken the Arizona job. I just dont think that he is the kind of guy that I would want to take over our team at this or any time. He is more of a pass happy kind of guy and there is no tellin' where I team would be in 5 years time. I am Not against passing the ball a little more than in the past but I still believe that a great running game and great defense wins championships. Maybe I am a little old fashioned but I love the smash mouth football of the past. Good luck to Ken and the Cardnals and he will or should be a good fit for that organization.:wave:

I do not think that we got too pass happy. I just think that when you get behind in a game by more that 13 points, you have to go to the passing game to get back into the game quickly. But if it is the way of the Wiz then I geuss he will do well in AZ with Matt.

By the way, we got pass happy in Super Bowl 13 and 14 when Terry B threw for over 300 yards in each game and was the MVP.

14-21 for 309 and 2 TDs in SB 14
17-30 for 318 nad 4 TDs in SB 13

I would be happy with 250 yards and 2 TDs a game and it would be nice to know that if we needed it the passing game would be there. I do miss the days of being up 14 or so at the half and running the heck out o fthe ball in the 3rd quarter.

Atlanta Dan
01-18-2007, 02:13 PM
To keep threads down, I am posting this under the Whiz to AZ header

Whisenhunt will interview Steelers' special teams coach
Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Steelers have granted permission for Ken Whisenhunt to talk to special teams coach Kevin Spencer for a job with the Arizona Cardinals.

Spencer has coached the Steelers special teams since 2002. Whisenhunt, the Steelers former offensive coordinator, was hired as Cardinals head coach this week.

Whisenhunt also requested to talk to two other Steelers coaches and was denied: Bruce Arians (wide receivers) and Keith Butler (linebackers).

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07018/754892-100.stm

Forget granting permission; the Steelers should throw in some sort of gift to whomever wants to take the special teams coach off their hands.

With permission to talk to Arians being denied, sounds like he is a definite front runner to be the new OC if Grimm (or even Tomlin) is hired.

If Arians is not the new OC and Whiz hires someone else while Tomlin or Rivera look elsewhere for an OC Arians will understandably be ticked off.

Really need a Saints victory Sunday so the Steelers can get Rivera interviewed and select a new HC by next week.

MACH1
01-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Think we needed a new ST coach anyway.:dang:

nicesteel4life
01-18-2007, 11:42 PM
I really think he will crash and burn down in Arizona, Wiz that iz. Hope he proves me wrong, but just what i see over the horizon.