PDA

View Full Version : Are interviews for Head Coaches necessary?

clevestinks
01-07-2007, 09:16 AM
When the Rooneys start thier interviews, I know they have a minimum amount of candidates they have to interview. And some have to be minority. But everyone out there has an open resume, we know where and what they`ve done, and where they`ve been. Wouldnt you think they already know who they want? You can`t lie in your interview, or on your resume. What else is there?

Also with Mr.Rooney being head of the minority coaches board, or whatever its called. Does he feel even more pressure to hire a minority coach, IF, he hires from the outside? If so Tomlin, def coord from the MInn Vikes looks appealing, and he is a Pittsburgh guy,

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2007, 09:32 AM
That goes for about any job - no company would hire a senior executive without conducting interviews

clevestinks
01-07-2007, 09:34 AM
That goes for about any job - no company would hire a senior executive without conducting interviews

I understand that the interview process is necessary. What I`m saying is as a coach in the NFL, your life is exposed already, there is nothing they can learn other than personal stuff.

Mosca
01-07-2007, 09:55 AM
I think that what they are looking for is a good fit of personalities, philosophies, and winning strategies. look at how different Parcells and Dungy are; both are great coaches and completely different people. You don't know if you can work with someone until you meet them and get down into nuts and bolts.

If I had to pick ANY other NFL head coach to coach the Steelers it would be Dungy, btw; IMO that pairing would bring a couple more rings. Of course it's not going to happen, but wth this is an internet forum and I have the right to write stupid stuff, too!

Tom

LambertIsGod58
01-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Dungy would be nice since he is a former player...but I think Whiz is the best choice as of now.

In Cowher We Trust
01-07-2007, 10:55 AM
what about parcells..if he leaves dallas..:)

Preacher
01-07-2007, 11:11 AM
I think what is also very important is the age of the head coach. We want a coach that will be around for another 15-20 years. So I say we shouldn't hire any coach that is older then about 55... AT THE MOST. Probably 50 at the most.

LambertIsGod58
01-07-2007, 12:05 PM
what about parcells..if he leaves dallas..:)

I think Parells has lost the toughness that made him great...He just doesn't seem to have it anymore. I think we can do better....After all, we have the best organization in football.:tt02:

stillers4me
01-07-2007, 12:12 PM
I worry about bringing in someone new from the outside.......the players were very loyal to Cowher and let's face it........most of them could be making a lot more money elsewhere. With some important contract negotiations coming up in the near future, wouldn't Ben and Troy and even Joey be more apt to stay with someone they already respect and have a relationship with? If Cowher had stayed, it really would not have surprised me to see Joey stay just because of him.

I'm sure you'll correct me about Ben and Troy if I'm wrong........:wink02:

LambertIsGod58
01-07-2007, 12:14 PM
I think it was a money thing with Cowher...as it should be. I had heard somewhere that he would have stayed for a certain dollar value. The Rooneys don't pay. We'd probably have 7 rings if they did.

tony hipchest
01-07-2007, 12:14 PM
i remember watching a piece on dom capers after he was hired as the panthers head coach. he was regarded as the most organized HC in the nfl. he would have schedules and agendas outlining every day of the work year, he had scouting reports, notes of past seasons he had been a coordinator, a thick old playbook, and he would have a written plan showing the direction he would take the team. i got the impression he could walk into any interview, knock the socks off any owner, and get the job.

on the flipside is a coach like marvin lewis who walks in with his scoobie-doo trapper keeper. :chuckle: i cant say for certain but i think i remember hearing that the reason it took lewis (who was a really good coordinator) so long to land a head coach job, was that he gavepoor and bland interviews. he didnt know how to sell his plans or ideas.

different coaches do different stuff and can present the idea that they are innovators. i think brian billick was the first one to get his team laptops and convert the whole playbook to disk. gamefilm would be put on disk and given to the players to study.

ajs8207
01-07-2007, 12:22 PM
I worry about bringing in someone new from the outside.......the players wee very loyal to Cowher and let's face it........most of them could be making a lot more money elsewhere. With some important contract negotiations coming up in the near future, wouldn't Ben and Troy and even Joey be more apt to stay with someone they already respect and have a relationship with? If Cowher had stayed, it really would not have surprised me to see Joey stay just because of him.

I'm sure you'll correct me about Ben and Troy if I'm wrong........:wink02:

Honestly, do we even care if Joey stays? He was average at best this year. He might be cut to get rid of his big salary this year anyway.

Ben and Troy were loyal to Cowher, but also to the organization. A coach from the outside won't change Ben and Troy's loyalty to the organization.

MJ5150
01-07-2007, 02:25 PM
.....there is nothing they can learn other than personal stuff.

True. I wonder if they will ask some of the same goofy questions I have been asked when I've been on a job interview....

Prospective Owner: "So Bill, how do you feel when a co-worker disrespects you"

-Mike

HometownGal
01-07-2007, 02:48 PM
there is nothing they can learn other than personal stuff.

Sometimes the personal stuff factors into the professional stuff, cleve. I think it's good that an owner learns all he can about a prospective coach so that there are no surprises.

clevestinks
01-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Sometimes the personal stuff factors into the professional stuff, cleve. I think it's good that an owner learns all he can about a prospective coach so that there are no surprises.

I agree, and everyone has great points. I could just hear the crickets chirpping, when interviewing Whiz and Grimm! They know everything about those two.

sumo
01-08-2007, 12:15 PM
I think Parells has lost the toughness that made him great...He just doesn't seem to have it anymore. I think we can do better....After all, we have the best organization in football.:tt02:

I think Parcells is the most overrated coach in the NFL - a close second is Gibbs - they are both living in the past ....Parcells takes a swing at one of his own coaches during a televised game and recruits Vinny and Bledsoe to be his starting QBS....those things alone would get most head coaches fired -- overrated miserable person with man boobs...

clevestinks
01-08-2007, 12:19 PM
I think Parcells is the most overrated coach in the NFL - a close second is Gibbs - they are both living in the past ....Parcells takes a swing at one of his own coaches during a televised game and recruits Vinny and Bledsoe to be his starting QBS....those things alone would get most head coaches fired -- overrated miserable person with man boobs...

I may catch some heat for this, but I couldnt agree more. Parcells stepped into a good situation now and then , and gets all the credit. I love Cowher but lets see how he does in the future without Lebaeu? He needed Dick Lebuea back these past few years to get back to the big game.

Borski
01-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Honestly, do we even care if Joey stays? He was average at best this year. He might be cut to get rid of his big salary this year anyway.

Ben and Troy were loyal to Cowher, but also to the organization. A coach from the outside won't change Ben and Troy's loyalty to the organization.
I care, I think he's a really good player and will bounce back next season, the whole team was just average this year....I dont want to get rid of the whole team.

MJ5150
01-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Honestly, do we even care if Joey stays? He was average at best this year.

If we get rid of everyone who was "average" this past season, it would be a really empty field on the first day of practice.

About Parcells.....the guy is smart enough to pick the right coaching jobs, give him credit for that. You don't see his name come up when the Lions, Browns or the Bucs are looking for a coach. Sure, the situation may already be good where he goes, that is why he chose it!

Parcells is not a "builder" in coaching like some of these guys like to do....build a program from nothing to a good team. Parcells is the finisher. You have a good team that needs an edge? Parcells could very well be your fit.

-Mike

fansince'76
01-08-2007, 03:18 PM
When the Rooneys start thier interviews, I know they have a minimum amount of candidates they have to interview. And some have to be minority. But everyone out there has an open resume, we know where and what they`ve done, and where they`ve been. Wouldnt you think they already know who they want? You can`t lie in your interview, or on your resume. What else is there?

I think owners already have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice of who they want going into the process - I think the interviews are just a formality.

ajs8207
01-08-2007, 03:54 PM
I care, I think he's a really good player and will bounce back next season, the whole team was just average this year....I dont want to get rid of the whole team.

Sorry I just don't think Joey is as good as he thinks he is. I want him back, but not at his cap number. I think its the 3rd highest next year if i remember correctly.

Livinginthe past
01-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Not many coaches go into great depth in general media interviews on how they go about building a winning football team - its the type of stuff they probably want to keep to themselves.

Sure, the physical body of work is there for everyone to see - Cowher has been a good coach over the years, and I could take a guess at where alot of the success originates from - strong work ethic, good team builder, good at evaluating talent that suits his scheme.....

But Cowher is probably a little more 'obvious' than alot of coaches in terms how he has achieved what he has, compared to other NFL/college coaches.

It also doesnt hurt to be able to look a guy in the eye when he tells you he can make you a SB winner the coming year.

NM

StillerPaul
01-08-2007, 04:44 PM
I think interviewing is absolutely needed. Especially when interviewing for the HC of the PS. It may just be a job almost important as the Pope. Get it right, Dan and Art! ;)

Elvis
01-08-2007, 05:58 PM
YES.....
Very Important....:dang: