PDA

View Full Version : News out of Atlanta @ ESPN

stillers4me
01-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Updated: Jan. 7, 2007, 8:34 PM ET
Louisville's Petrino on Falcons' wish list for head coachBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

ATLANTA -- Louisville coach Bob Petrino is the choice of the Atlanta Falcons to succeed Jim Mora as head coach, several league sources confirmed Sunday night, and the team is in contract negotiations aimed at securing a contract agreement that could lead to a Monday announcement of his hiring.

Sources stressed that Petrino, 45, has yet to accept the position, but that the two sides were moving toward an agreement.

The highly-regarded Petrino is known for his creative offensive designs and the priority of Falcons' brass is to land a head coach capable of getting the most from quarterback Michael Vick's talents.

SteelCzar76
01-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Beat me to the punch Stillers.

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Well that makes a lot more sense than the Singletary selection that was being floated in another thread. Petrino may have the offensive chops to figure out what to do with Vick, but Blank is rolling the dice after such college geniuses as Spurrier and Saban have flamed out at the next level.

Of course now Petrino's statements regarding his undying love for Louisville can be Googled.

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Updated: Jan. 7, 2007, 9:32 PM ET
Falcons nab Louisville's Petrino for head coach slot

Louisville coach Bobby Petrino has accepted a five-year, $24 million offer from the Atlanta Falcons to become their new coach.

Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich confirmed to ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Petrino told him about 8:30 p.m. ET that he had accepted the job and that Rich McKay, the Falcons' president and general manager, had called this afternoon to tell Jurich about the offer. ...

Before the season, Petrino signed a 10-year, $25 million contract with Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich. Petrino had previously interviewed with Auburn, LSU, Notre Dame and the Oakland Raiders for other jobs, but announced in August that he would be at Louisville for the long haul.

"I can't tell you how happy I am with the commitment and the confidence that Tom Jurich has in me and the university has in me," Petrino said after signing the contract. "I also wanted to make sure that everyone understood, I know I've said it, that this is where my family wants to be. This is where I want to be. I want everyone to really believe it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2723700

Further evidence of what a cesspool major college sports has become.

SteelCityMan786
01-07-2007, 09:23 PM
YES! That means Whiz is still in line for the Steelers Job.

Newzfoxjr
01-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Yeah, that's good news.

tony hipchest
01-07-2007, 09:56 PM
petrino signs for about $5 mil/year. thats more than 15 year nfl vet and sb winning coach cowher was making. i dont know if this is good news for whiz or not. im thinking the rooneys are looking to land someone on a mike tice or lovie smith type of deal.

SteelCzar76
01-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Perhaps Tomlin ? I could live with that.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-08-2007, 01:18 AM
i dont know if this is good news for whiz or not. .

We all know how prudent the Rooneys are with the checkbook but it'd be very hard to believe that lowering the bar is good for morale.

But I think this is more telling of the Vick-factor in the ATL and perception around the country. Steve Spurrier got $5 mil from the Redskins how many years ago. What does Petrino have to lose to cash that check? If he fails he won't look any worse to his next boss in the NCAA because WHO HAS WON with Vick.

Whiz on the other hand? If nothing else this guy knows what job not to take. He has everything to lose with the Falcons job especially since the Rooneys will most likely pay close to $5 million to the next HC AND it won't feel like he's starting over.

So to answer your question...if Whiz is feeling greedy then it is bad news. If he wants to coach the Steelers for about $4 - 5 mil per season (closer to 4) then it's good news.

Big D
01-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Perhaps Tomlin ? I could live with that.

I would love tomlin!

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Well...so much for my ..."Whisenhut to the Falcons and Grimm to Pittsburgh" scenario!!! :footinmou

Big D
01-08-2007, 08:38 AM
espn is reporting that petrino has the say on whether or not vick will stay as the falcons qb.

Stillers#1
01-08-2007, 08:52 AM
espn is reporting that petrino has the say on whether or not vick will stay as the falcons qb.

Wow , thats pretty huge. who reported that? If it was Clayton then I'm buying. If I'm Petrino I give Schaub a serious look.

Big D
01-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Wow , thats pretty huge. who reported that? If it was Clayton then I'm buying. If I'm Petrino I give Schaub a serious look.

Chris mortenson on mike and mike this morning.

Hines0wnz
01-08-2007, 09:27 AM
YES! That means Whiz is still in line for the Steelers Job.

I'm not convinced he is the best candidate for the Steelers HC position.

Big D
01-08-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm not convinced he is the best candidate for the Steelers HC position.

I couldnt agree more. Whats scary is the success of the other steeler offensive coordinators that went on to be head coaches.. I would prefer grimm if we stay in house

bradness113
01-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Being an offensive coordinator really doesnt mean you have COMPLETE control over the offense. Bill HAD the final say on everything. So maybe if Whiz gets the HC job, he can actuallly do the plays he wants to w/o having someone object or say "nah lets do this play."

U know what im sayin?

Im game for Whiz...:thumbsup:

Hines0wnz
01-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Being an offensive coordinator really doesnt mean you have COMPLETE control over the offense. Bill HAD the final say on everything. So maybe if Whiz gets the HC job, he can actuallly do the plays he wants to w/o having someone object or say "nah lets do this play."

U know what im sayin?

Im game for Whiz...:thumbsup:

Great, so you like those gimmick plays at pivotal times in the game? :banging:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Yea those gimmick plays suck just like the El pass to Ward to clinch the win in Super Bowl XL.

Hines0wnz
01-08-2007, 11:01 AM
I couldnt agree more. Whats scary is the success of the other steeler offensive coordinators that went on to be head coaches.. I would prefer grimm if we stay in house

Out of all of Cowher's assistants, only Dom Capers (yes I know he is defense) had any measurable success as a HC during his first few years with Carolina. Marvin Lewis has turned Cincy around but they have yet to win a playoff game. Everyone else has accepted their life as coordinators for the time being.

Big D
01-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Out of all of Cowher's assistants, only Dom Capers (yes I know he is defense) had any measurable success as a HC during his first few years with Carolina. Marvin Lewis has turned Cincy around but they have yet to win a playoff game. Everyone else has accepted their life as coordinators for the time being.

thats where I was going with that. Nobody has really had success. In fact all over cowhers former assistants that went onto to be head coaches have all been fired.

Hines0wnz
01-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Yea those gimmick plays suck just like the El pass to Ward to clinch the win in Super Bowl XL.

My bad! I, of course, meant during this past regular season for those of you who have amnesia from it. :wink02:

Maybe you forgot about the failed flee flicker called in the 3rd quarter of the Cincy game which was Ben's second game back from his surgery and a short week following the Jax loss on MNF? This is the play call when I knew the Steelers season was screwed.

And do I really need to remind you that Randle El plays for the Redskins now?

Hines0wnz
01-08-2007, 11:10 AM
thats where I was going with that. Nobody has really had success. In fact all over cowhers former assistants that went onto to be head coaches have all been fired.

:cash

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2007, 11:33 AM
My bad! I, of course, meant during this past regular season for those of you who have amnesia from it. :wink02:

Maybe you forgot about the failed flee flicker called in the 3rd quarter of the Cincy game which was Ben's second game back from his surgery and a short week following the Jax loss on MNF? This is the play call when I knew the Steelers season was screwed.

And do I really need to remind you that Randle El plays for the Redskins now?

No I remember this season just fine since I watched every game. So try again.

My point the trick plays are great when they work and are stupid when they don't. I have no problem with the trick plays if they are not over used. It was clear to me this year that the Steelers did miss El's talents at running trick plays.

Big D
01-08-2007, 11:34 AM
No I remember this season just fine since I watched every game. So try again.

My point the trick plays are great when they work and are stupid when they don't. I have no problem with the trick plays if they are not over used. It was clear to me this year that the Steelers did miss El's talents at running trick plays.

I started really missing el after watching his t.d. pass during the redskins-giants game. I think losing him effected us more then we realize

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2007, 11:38 AM
I started really missing el after watching his t.d. pass during the redskins-giants game. I think losing him effected us more then we realize

The Steelers missed El on punt returns and on trick plays. As a WR I think Holmes and Washington showed enough this year that El won't be missed from a WR standpoint.

fansince'76
01-08-2007, 12:22 PM
petrino signs for about $5 mil/year. thats more than 15 year nfl vet and sb winning coach cowher was making. i dont know if this is good news for whiz or not. im thinking the rooneys are looking to land someone on a mike tice or lovie smith type of deal.

Yes, but what the Rooneys withhold in monetary compensation, they make up for with loyalty - they won't can somebody for 1 or 2 (or even 3) bad years in a row.

memphissteelergirl
01-08-2007, 12:41 PM
I admit Petrino has had a lot of success at UL, but let's face it...not too many college coaches have success in the pros (see Steve Spurrier as example) and they end up going back.

We shall see, I guess...