PDA

View Full Version : burning help

Sith Lord
01-07-2007, 09:26 PM
For some reason, when i burn audio files on my DVD burner it works fine. When i want to burn a movie with my DVD burner, my computer locks up. Any suggestions?

MACH1
01-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Try some software called Slysoft AnyDVD, with CloneDVD. Any more than that you need to give some more info on what exactly it is that your copying. If its a movie its probly the copy right protection on it.

Sith Lord
01-07-2007, 09:33 PM
whats happening is this..lets say I want to copy an audio cd from my hard drive to a cd. i burn it using my cd/dvd burner and it works fine. When i have a movie or video file on my hard drive and try to burn it to DVD using my cd-dvd burner, my computer locks up about 1 minute after I start the burning process.

MACH1
01-07-2007, 09:39 PM
What program are you using to burn with? (nero) Theres a number of things that can cause it to lock up. Turn the burn speed down, stop any other apps, check drivers or updates, reinstall your burner,and thats just the tip of the iceberg.

Sith Lord
01-07-2007, 09:41 PM
i dont think I have the driver disk. I was using nero, now using convertxtodvd. Thanks for your help. is i possible i dont have enough memory? 512mb

MACH1
01-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Should be enough memory, just be slow.

Try going to this site.
http://forums.afterdawn.com/

They have all the info you need and more.
They can help you better than I can.:smile:

klick81
01-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Thought you were talkinga about another type of "burning". LOL...

Preacher
01-08-2007, 04:03 AM
I too was thinking about Ram memory... also, hardisk space... (maybe, depending on the setup of the computer), speed of computer... etc...

X-Terminator
01-08-2007, 05:41 AM
Lack of hard disk space is the most likely problem here. I've had instances where I've tried to burn DVDs and my computer has locked up - it's because whatever burning software you use creates a temporary file where the CD/DVD data is stored before burning it to the disc. It's fine when you're burning just 700 MB, but it can be a problem when burning more than 4 GB of data and you have about 4.5 GB free on your drive.

Sith Lord
01-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks for all of your help. its very possible the answer is the hard disk space, as the drive the burner is associated with is only 8 GB, with 6.5 GB full. I have to find a way to associate the burner with my 300 gb drive.

X-Terminator
01-09-2007, 04:53 AM
Thanks for all of your help. its very possible the answer is the hard disk space, as the drive the burner is associated with is only 8 GB, with 6.5 GB full. I have to find a way to associate the burner with my 300 gb drive.

Ah, well then that would be the problem - 2.5 GB is not enough space to create a DVD, and that is why it freezes up. You need at least 4.8 GB free to create a disc, and even that is cutting it close. There may be a setting somewhere in your program that will allow you to change where the CD/DVD data is stored - if so, you can set it to store it on your 300 GB drive. If not, uninstall the software from your 8 GB drive and then reinstall it on your larger drive - that way, it'll automatically create the data file there rather than the smaller drive.

Good luck, and glad I can help!