PDA

View Full Version : Fear the Patsies

stlrtruck
01-08-2007, 07:20 AM
After this weekend I came to realize that of all the good teams in the AFC Playoffs still there is one team that should be feared. Not because of their stiffling defense or the high potent offense but because of who they are and what they've accomplished in the last 5 years..

And I hate to say it...but the team that people should be worried about..

The New England Patriots!

Of course better them to win it all then the ratbirds! or the suckhawks!

Livinginthe past
01-08-2007, 07:38 AM
Some people will tell you that the Patriots were due to be 'washed up' this year after losing their top 2 WR's, a big play OLB and a couple of other 'depth players'.

Thats a case of wishful thinking, people believing something because they want it to be true, rather than applying any serious logic.

The Patriots are designed to have the best depth throughout the 53 in the NFL - its why people accuse them of being cheap when negotiating with marquee FA's - the money is spread as evenly as possible with a couple of outstanding exceptions.

Give me Brady and Belichick over any combo in the league - with those two you have a punchers chance in any contest.

Add in a stifling D, a fresh pair of RB's and a WR corps playing above itself and you have a big playoff threat....to anyone...even the San Diego Chargers - who have hardly been posteason regulars recently.

Stlrstruck gets it. :cheers:

NM

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Some people will tell you that the Patriots were due to be 'washed up' this year after losing their top 2 WR's, a big play OLB and a couple of other 'depth players'.

Thats a case of wishful thinking, people believing something because they want it to be true, rather than applying any serious logic.

The Patriots are designed to have the best depth throughout the 53 in the NFL - its why people accuse them of being cheap when negotiating with marquee FA's - the money is spread as evenly as possible with a couple of outstanding exceptions.

Give me Brady and Belichick over any combo in the league - with those two you have a punchers chance in any contest.

Add in a stifling D, a fresh pair of RB's and a WR corps playing above itself and you have a big playoff threat....to anyone...even the San Diego Chargers - who have hardly been posteason regulars recently.

NM

Good win last night LITP!!!

I have to admit I was cheering for them...(Mainly because I feel the Jets were undeserving of a playoff slot)
But to be totally honest...I dont see you beating the Chargers....and If Indy shows the defense they showed saturday...they will be formidable also. But If the Pats can knock off those two teams ...then NOONE will be able to second guess the Pats worth and desire!!
Good luck...I know this is cool for you and to be honest I miss that playoff rush.

Livinginthe past
01-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Good win last night LITP!!!

I have to admit I was cheering for them...(Mainly because I feel the Jets were undeserving of a playoff slot)
But to be totally honest...I dont see you beating the Chargers....and If Indy shows the defense they showed saturday...they will be formidable also. But If the Pats can knock off those two teams ...then NOONE will be able to second guess the Pats worth and desire!!
Good luck...I know this is cool for you and to be honest I miss that playoff rush.

Thanks man.

As awesome as San Diego have been this year they have to obvious potential weak-spots - a QB with no playoff experience and in his first year as starter, and a coach who has a poor postseason reputation.

QB and coach - two of the most important areas, I think.

LT could play the game of his life and take the game away from us almost single handed, he's that type of player without a doubt, but I wouldnt take any other D in the league if I knew I had to stop him.

In all honesty I think alot of what you seen from the Colts saturday was down to KC's general ineptness - there is no way KC's vaunted O-Line should have been bullied like that - against such a lightweight unit.

I think Baltimore/Indy will be a great contest, I give the Ravens the slight edge.

NM

Stillers#1
01-08-2007, 08:35 AM

NM

I can't wait till Brady sparins an ankle, and your stuck with Testeverde and Belichek, just ask Browns fans how that worked out.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks man.

As awesome as San Diego have been this year they have to obvious potential weak-spots - a QB with no playoff experience and in his first year as starter, and a coach who has a poor postseason reputation.

LT could play the game of his life and take the game away from us almost single handed, he's that type of player without a doubt, but I wouldnt take any other D in the league if I knew I had to stop him.

In all honesty I think alot of what you seen from the Colts saturday was down to KC's general ineptness - there is no way KC's vaunted O-Line should have been bullied like that - against such a lightweight unit.

I think Baltimore/Indy will be a great contest, I give the Ravens the slight edge.

NM

The offensive coordinator for KC should be fired....and I agree that Indys defensive showing on saturday was not typical of what I have seen the rest of the year.

memphissteelergirl
01-08-2007, 12:26 PM
I agree...KC's offense was pitiful!

fansince'76
01-08-2007, 12:41 PM
I can't wait till Brady sparins an ankle, and your stuck with Testeverde and Belichek, just ask Browns fans how that worked out.

Actually, Cassel could probably be starting for most of the rest of the teams in the league.

3 to be 4
01-08-2007, 12:43 PM
If Belichick can pull it off THIS year, then his status goes off the charts.

Stillers#1
01-08-2007, 12:47 PM
If Belichick can pull it off THIS year, then his status goes off the charts.

Yeah I agree, if Belichek wins it all, this guarantee's a first ballot HOF for him and Brady.

tony hipchest
01-08-2007, 01:25 PM

NMsounds alot like a certain team in 2001. know two other very important areas? the leagues best running game and a punishing defense that can get after the qb. just like with the kc/indy game you gotta think alot seen from the pats was down to the jets general ineptness. i mean no one really thought the jets were gonna be the 05 steelers this year.

ive never really bought into noodle arm not being able to cut it in the nfl but im really beginning to wonder. he looked like he was throwing a 7 pound football. ive never seen a pro qb who you just know would do worse in the arena league than the nfl.

as for who has the edge, its really a toss up other than homefield advantage which i think will be the difference. if p. rivers plays as well as he did vs. pittsburgh earlier this season (which was as close to a playoff atmosphere as hes seen) i think they will do fine. however the patriots are the largest underdog going into this weekend so im sure that will be posted in their locker room to fire them up. it should be 1 good game in an exciting weekend of playoff football that still has all 8 division winners left in the dance.

Livinginthe past
01-08-2007, 01:56 PM
sounds alot like a certain team in 2001. know two other very important areas? the leagues best running game and a punishing defense that can get after the qb. just like with the kc/indy game you gotta think alot seen from the pats was down to the jets general ineptness. i mean no one really thought the jets were gonna be the 05 steelers this year.

Sure, I can see a definite parallel with the Patriots in 2001 (although they didnt get quite as much hype as the Chargers have) - but they really are the exception to the rule.

That QB in his first year of starting turned out to be Tom Brady, I doubt many QB's will turn out to be quite that good in their first attempt.

It will be a great match-up the SD pass rush against an O-Line that really steps it up in the postseason.

I thought the Jets played to their potential, a solid team no more no less - KC were frickin' awful - how long did it take them to even get a first down against the Colts D?

Sheesh that was just embarrassing to watch.

ive never really bought into noodle arm not being able to cut it in the nfl but im really beginning to wonder. he looked like he was throwing a 7 pound football. ive never seen a pro qb who you just know would do worse in the arena league than the nfl.

Noodles needed a reliable running game, like most QB's in the league do - especially in the redzone where they couldn't convert a single possesion out of 3 attempts into a TD.

as for who has the edge, its really a toss up other than homefield advantage which i think will be the difference. if p. rivers plays as well as he did vs. pittsburgh earlier this season (which was as close to a playoff atmosphere as hes seen) i think they will do fine. however the patriots are the largest underdog going into this weekend so im sure that will be posted in their locker room to fire them up. it should be 1 good game in an exciting weekend of playoff football that still has all 8 division winners left in the dance.

On the betting lines, the Seahawks (+9) are the biggest underdog, followed by the Eagles (+5.5) and then the Patriots at (+5)....FWIW the Colts are at (+4.5).

Its going to be really tough, the Chargers have some great weapons, although they havent proven themselves to be anywhere near the class of the 2000/1 Rams.

NM

fansince'76
01-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Its going to be really rough, the Chargers have some great weapons, although they havent proven themselves to be anywhere near the class of the 2000/1 Rams.NM

I think they are better, personally. The 2001 Rams as far as I am concerned (then and now) was an overrated, soft track team that couldn't deal with teams that lined up and punched them in the mouth (very similar to the problem the Colts have had), which is why the Pats beat them in that SB.

I admit that the Chargers have 2 big question marks in Rivers making his first playoff start and whether or not "Martyball" might rear its ugly head again, but the Chargers will give the Pats a handful.

Livinginthe past
01-08-2007, 02:21 PM
I think they are better, personally. The 2001 Rams as far as I am concerned (then and now) was an overrated, soft track team that couldn't deal with teams that lined up and punched them in the mouth (very similar to the problem the Colts have had), which is why the Pats beat them in that SB.

I admit that the Chargers have 2 big question marks in Rivers making his first playoff start and whether or not "Martyball" might rear its ugly head again, but the Chargers will give the Pats a handful.

That team was fully playoff tested up until the Patriots beat them in the 2001 SB they were 5-0 in the playoffs.

Alot of the guys who won in 1999 were on that team in 2001, but they were hamstrung by an ego driven coach in Mike Martz.

Marshall Faulk was certainly close to being the type of offensive weapon LT is, although he would be utilised more as a reciever out of the backfield.

The Rams WR corps was in another league to the current San Diego group, and Kurt Warner (at that time) is hell of a lot better than Rivers is (at this point).

The Rams also had a talented D, certainly no weakness there.

At this point, the Chargers have alot of potential, who knows how that potentiual will pan out when they take the field in a one-shot scenario.

NM

fansince'76
01-08-2007, 02:24 PM
That team was fully playoff tested up until the Patriots beat them in the 2001 SB they were 5-0 in the playoffs.

Very good points, LITP - I think the Chargers' lack of postseason experience could come back to bite them as well.

tony hipchest
01-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Sure, I can see a definite parallel with the Patriots in 2001 (although they didnt get quite as much hype as the Chargers have) - but they really are the exception to the rule.

That QB in his first year of starting turned out to be Tom Brady, I doubt many QB's will turn out to be quite that good in their first attempt.

Its going to be really tough, the Chargers have some great weapons, although they havent proven themselves to be anywhere near the class of the 2000/1 Rams.

NMsee, in my comparison, the chargers are like the pats of 01 and the pats are like the rams ( past champ, playoff experince etc.). it is understandable why the chargers are much more hyped than the 01 pats were. #best record in the league, homefield advantage, merriman is leader in sacks, LT is the leader in rushing, record setting rb, a top TE, most players nominated to the pro bowl and named to the all pro team. not only didnt the pats have any of that, they had a 1st year starting qb with no playoff experienced and a head coach who up to that point had done nothing in the playoffs, or really the regular season for that matter.

we dont know what type of playoff moxy rivers will show, but he showed his potential when he played the sb champs. as for very young or inexperienced qb's having an impact in the playoffs if you go back to 99 k.warner did it in his 1st year, brady in his 1st year, trent dilfer did it in his 1st playoff trip and ben did it in his 2nd (as the youngest qb to win a sb). river can easilly come in and stink it up like ben did in his 1st playoff game against the jets or his 1st superbowl, but the chargers definitely have the pieces to compensate. i cant diminish belichick and brady but them 2 only got the pats so far last year in the playoffs. this year is very similar to last year.

Livinginthe past
01-08-2007, 03:56 PM
see, in my comparison, the chargers are like the pats of 01 and the pats are like the rams ( past champ, playoff experince etc.). it is understandable why the chargers are much more hyped than the 01 pats were. #best record in the league, homefield advantage, merriman is leader in sacks, LT is the leader in rushing, record setting rb, a top TE, most players nominated to the pro bowl and named to the all pro team. not only didnt the pats have any of that, they had a 1st year starting qb with no playoff experienced and a head coach who up to that point had done nothing in the playoffs, or really the regular season for that matter.

we dont know what type of playoff moxy rivers will show, but he showed his potential when he played the sb champs. as for very young or inexperienced qb's having an impact in the playoffs if you go back to 99 k.warner did it in his 1st year, brady in his 1st year, trent dilfer did it in his 1st playoff trip and ben did it in his 2nd (as the youngest qb to win a sb). river can easilly come in and stink it up like ben did in his 1st playoff game against the jets or his 1st superbowl, but the chargers definitely have the pieces to compensate. i cant diminish belichick and brady but them 2 only got the pats so far last year in the playoffs. this year is very similar to last year.

Fair points.

Although I still think the the general percepetion of the media and alot of fans is that the Patriots are still playing the part of the 2001 Patriots and the Chargers are the 2001 Rams - it would explain why the Chargers are 5 point favorites.

Belichick was unproven in the playoffs for sure (1-1 with the Browns?) but Marty has shown himself to be a poor postseason coach - maybe he can turn that round - who knows, although (Peyton Manning is a good example of this) when the pressure is really on players/coaches tend to revert to type.

I think this year is quite a bit different to last year, we were truly awful in all departments of defense last year when we lost Bruschi, Seymour and Harrison for over-lapping periods - watching teams run with such ease was very, very painful.

I still maintain we didnt get outplayed by the Bronco's last year we just made some bad plays it key moments - we were moving the ball with relative ease and Denver relied on a very poor PI call to get 7 of their points.

I've never seen the Patriots execute as badly as that at key moments, and hope I never do - turning the ball over 5 times was extremely un-Patriots like - you going to lose most of those games.

NM

tony hipchest
01-08-2007, 04:32 PM
I still maintain we didnt get outplayed by the Bronco's last year we just made some bad plays it key moments - we were moving the ball with relative ease and Denver relied on a very poor PI call to get 7 of their points.

NMthats the story of half the steelers 06 season and every AFC home championship game and superbowl they lost.

im not counting out marty just cause of the past, like all those who did cowher. hell, he did take the browns to the afc champ game twice so he mustve done something right to get that far.

there are some who think marty ball died when they lost to the ravens. what they unleashed on the bungles was definitely a step in the right direction. if the pats can shut down LT and force rivers into 3+ turnovers they got a good shot.

fansince'76
01-08-2007, 04:35 PM
im not counting out marty....hell, he did take the browns to the afc champ game twice so he mustve done something right to get that far.

Yep, and the '87 AFCCG loss was not his fault, it was Earnest Byner's.

Livinginthe past
01-08-2007, 04:50 PM
thats the story of half the steelers 06 season and every AFC home championship game and superbowl they lost.

im not counting out marty just cause of the past, like all those who did cowher. hell, he did take the browns to the afc champ game twice so he mustve done something right to get that far.

there are some who think marty ball died when they lost to the ravens. what they unleashed on the bungles was definitely a step in the right direction. if the pats can shut down LT and force rivers into 3+ turnovers they got a good shot.

Thats a fair point regarding the AFCCG's - turnovers played a huge part in how they finished.

I dont agree with the 06 Steeler season being part of the theory, you have so many fumbles and interceptions on a consistent basis it becomes the norm rather than the exception.

Im certainly not counting any part of the Chargers out, certainly not their QB or coach - it just that I feel there is reason for optimism when you examine those elements in a head-2-head basis (as a Patriots fan anyway).

NM

tony hipchest
01-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Thats a fair point regarding the AFCCG's - turnovers played a huge part in how they finished.

I dont agree with the 06 Steeler season being part of the theory, you have so many fumbles and interceptions on a consistent basis it becomes the norm rather than the exception.

Im certainly not counting any part of the Chargers out, certainly not their QB or coach - it just that I feel there is reason for optimism when you examine those elements in a head-2-head basis (as a Patriots fan anyway).

NMwell i did state for "half the 06 season". our turnovers have come in bunches, it definitely wasnt consistant throughout the season. anyways the "rule" is the steelers being near the top 4 in t.o. differential. the "exception" is them being in the bottom 4. total fluke.

as for the "tale of the tape" i would give the advantage to the pats for coaching (not by much- marty is proven) and qb. but thats about it.

if the tale of the tape decided it though, the games wouldnt be played and the steelers and pats wouldnt be 4 of the past 5 championships.

Livinginthe past
01-08-2007, 05:53 PM
well i did state for "half the 06 season". our turnovers have come in bunches, it definitely wasnt consistant throughout the season. anyways the "rule" is the steelers being near the top 4 in t.o. differential. the "exception" is them being in the bottom 4. total fluke.

as for the "tale of the tape" i would give the advantage to the pats for coaching (not by much- marty is proven) and qb. but thats about it.

if the tale of the tape decided it though, the games wouldnt be played and the steelers and pats wouldnt be 4 of the past 5 championships.

That says it all.

Im still pumped, and I gotta get through 4 days of work yet..... that'll probably kill the buzz.

NM

Stlrs4Life
01-08-2007, 06:09 PM
There is no doubt they have what it takes to win another SB.

tony hipchest
01-09-2007, 05:20 PM

. just to expand on this thought-

it looks like mangini is beginning to wonder too. today he said the comeback player of the year would have to compete for his job in camp next season. (not to say "elbow mac" pennington was manginis "guy" from the get-go.)

Hines0wnz
01-12-2007, 10:53 PM

I think I remember a team from last year's playoffs with a coach who had a reputation for playoff ineptitude and a QB with little playoff experience......hmmmmm......hang on, I think I remember them now.

THE 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPION, PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!!!

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Will lightning strike twice in 2 years? We will find out this weekend! :wink02:

tony hipchest
01-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Will lightning strike twice in 2 years? We will find out this weekend! :wink02:

:chuckle: good one

stlrtruck
01-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Well the football heroes of this past weekend the Colts and Martyball, I mean the Patsies.

Now time for Peyton and the colts to man up, sack up, or just show up!! Brady and the pats have had their number for years. Now Peyton has another shot at putting it all behind him (before getting killed in the Super Bowl).

Unfortunately, I believe the pats will once again ruin Tony's chances of getting past a Championship Game.

But I could be wrong!

Livinginthe past
01-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Well the football heroes of this past weekend the Colts and Martyball, I mean the Patsies.

Now time for Peyton and the colts to man up, sack up, or just show up!! Brady and the pats have had their number for years. Now Peyton has another shot at putting it all behind him (before getting killed in the Super Bowl).

Unfortunately, I believe the pats will once again ruin Tony's chances of getting past a Championship Game.

But I could be wrong!

Hey, you were right once!

I'd stick with your head instead of your heart :wink02:

Manning was very clutch in the previous game - made one amazing throw to Harrison after he was forced out of the pocket - it will be interesting to see if he can do any better against the Patriots postseason D than he did against the Kansas and Baltimore D's.

NM

stlrtruck
01-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Hey, you were right once!

I'd stick with your head instead of your heart :wink02:

Manning was very clutch in the previous game - made one amazing throw to Harrison after he was forced out of the pocket - it will be interesting to see if he can do any better against the Patriots postseason D than he did against the Kansas and Baltimore D's.

NM

Yeah I was right once, actually two weekends in a row when it comes to the patsies.

However, I'm gonna go against the original post and say that, FINALLY, Peyton Manning recognizes his team's jerseys versus the patsies. And in the end, Vinateri kicks the game winner for the Colts this time!

Suitanim
01-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Holy Jesus...did you guys actually WATCH the game? The Chargers should have beaten the Pats by 3 TD's. They have a better D, a better O and better ST's.

I never bought into the Marty coaching myth until this year. Now I'm a convert. I think it's pretty comical that there are posters here talking about "logic" who also posted up the "cold hard facts" that proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that Bill Cowher could never win the big playoff game, let alone the Super Bowl.

Anyway, there are HS coaches in this Country that could have coached the Chargers past the Pats. It's a damned shame for LT, but I hope he gets a chance later...

But that was a Helluva win...I congratulate the Patriots. They continually overachieve when it counts the most.

Livinginthe past
01-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Holy Jesus...did you guys actually WATCH the game? The Chargers should have beaten the Pats by 3 TD's. They have a better D, a better O and better ST's.

I never bought into the Marty coaching myth until this year. Now I'm a convert. I think it's pretty comical that there are posters here talking about "logic" who also posted up the "cold hard facts" that proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that Bill Cowher could never win the big playoff game, let alone the Super Bowl.

Anyway, there are HS coaches in this Country that could have coached the Chargers past the Pats. It's a damned shame for LT, but I hope he gets a chance later...

But that was a Helluva win...I congratulate the Patriots. They continually overachieve when it counts the most.

Never a truer sentence posted on this forum.

NM

3 to be 4
01-15-2007, 10:35 PM

WOW, he's back! :chicken: I've missed your input here.

stlrtruck
01-16-2007, 08:06 AM
I didn't miss the game at all. However, there have been plenty of games in my life time that the Steelers should have won on paper. Most recently the Oakland game comes to mind. But what happens on paper, doesn't necessarily happen on the field.

Let's face it - Marty doesn't have the "KILLER INSTINCT" when it comes to winning games and when he has a lead, he sits on it. And one of the best teams of attacking that style of play is the patsies! And they did just that - they attacked until San Diego didn't know what hit them!