PDA

View Full Version : Big LCD TVs take center stage

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Mon Jan 8, 8:24 AM ET

LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - Televisions grabbed the spotlight at the Consumer Electronics Show on Sunday with companies showcasing everything from super-sized models for the red-hot LCD market to technology enabling TVs to play video straight from the Internet.

A slew of consumer electronics makers introduced bigger flat-screen TVs, while others highlighted products to enhance viewing, such as a DVD player that could be a bridge between rival formats for next-generation video discs.

Sharp Corp. (6753.T) showed off a 108-inch high-definition LCD television to rival a 100-inch model introduced only hours earlier by LG Electronics Inc. (066570.KS). Sharp said its was the biggest yet among liquid crystal display (LCD) TVs.

In an effort to counter steep price erosion in the flat TV market, manufacturers are increasingly offering larger TVs with higher resolution, which generally carry fatter profit margins than smaller models with conventional resolution.

Other companies looked for ways to make television more engaging and easier to view from anywhere. Philips Electronics NV (PHG.AS) unveiled a one-speaker surround-system and a wireless high-definition video hub.

Europe's largest electronics maker also showed off bigger models of televisions that light up the wall behind them and introduced amBX, a video game system with a fan to simulate wind, for the North American market.

Japan's Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news). (6758.T) took aim at growing consumer appetite for Web-delivered programming with its announcement that the company would equip its TVs with an attachable module that can stream broadband high-definition and other video content with the push of a remote control button.

"One of the key challenges to widespread adoption of video downloads is bridging the gap between the PC and -- the most important element in the home entertainment experience -- the TV," Yankee Group analyst Michael Goodman said.

The four-day CES event, which starts formally on Monday, is the biggest annual U.S. gathering for the $145 billion industry and will draw some 140,000 enthusiasts and retailers to a sprawling exhibition of gadgets to feed consumers' ever-growing arsenal for personal entertainment.

LG introduced a DVD player to support both next-generation, high-definition DVD technologies, offering a solution in an escalating war between Blu-ray and HD DVD. LG said its Super Multi Blu Player would be available in early February in the United States for about $1,200.

Despite the flurry of TV-related announcements, many analysts say mobility will be the key theme at this CES as more people watch TV on laptops and carry entire music catalogs in their pockets.

Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. (005930.KS) said it plans to make available to U.S. broadcasters a new technology that lets people watch digital TV in cars, trains and on mobile computers.

BIGGER AND BETTER

Japan's Sharp said its new 108-inch LCD TV would be available in mid-2007, but it did not give details on price.

The Consumer Electronics Association says wholesale LCD unit sales are expected to jump 50 percent to $12 billion in 2007 from about $8 billion in 2006. By contrast, plasma unit sales are seen rising to $6 billion in 2007 from $5.7 billion.

LCD TVs have been popular recently, but they typically cost more than plasma TVs and have sold in smaller screen sizes.

Pioneer Corp. (6773.T) said it expects to introduce an advanced plasma high-definition TV this summer with richer colors, deeper shades of black and better contrast than predecessors.

The Tokyo-based company aims to compete better with rivals including Samsung and LG of South Korea and Japan's Hitachi Ltd. (6501.T), which offer both plasma and LCD TVs.

Toshiba Corp. (6502.T) said on Sunday it would launch 52-inch and 57-inch LCD TVs this year, playing catch-up with rivals such as Sharp in its foray into the 50-inch class.

thats a 9 foot screen....I WANT ONE!!!!! Jerry Jones move over!!!!

floodcitygirl
01-08-2007, 01:25 PM
My old tv died recently. I just got a 32" flat panel LCD HD tv. (A bigger one wouldn't fit in the cabinet and I didn't want to wall mount it). It has really nice color, etc. The thing that amazed me is the extra channels that I got just by having a digital tv...like an extra 10...without having cable or satellite. (I know....I'm low tech!) :thumbsup:

Hammer67
01-08-2007, 07:10 PM
My old tv died recently. I just got a 32" flat panel LCD HD tv. (A bigger one wouldn't fit in the cabinet and I didn't want to wall mount it). It has really nice color, etc. The thing that amazed me is the extra channels that I got just by having a digital tv...like an extra 10...without having cable or satellite. (I know....I'm low tech!) :thumbsup:

You know you need to get Cable or satellite to watch all the High Def goodness out there (outside of your locals, of course!)

steelerbackr4life
01-08-2007, 10:19 PM
You know you need to get Cable or satellite to watch all the High Def goodness out there (outside of your locals, of course!)

I have Direct tv and a 42" panasonic plasma hung on the wall it is like looking out the window. My parents have the exact same panasonic plasma but 58" they however have cable, it still looks god but not nearly as vivid as mine when watching a t.v. program. They both however are equaly spectacular when watching a high def dvd.

X-Terminator
01-08-2007, 11:25 PM
To you guys with LCD/HDTV...

You all suck! :flap:

floodcitygirl
01-09-2007, 09:07 AM
You know you need to get Cable or satellite to watch all the High Def goodness out there (outside of your locals, of course!)I know...I know...but I don't watch that much tv....PBS for my 3 yr old mostly! I think 24, Prison Break, and ER are in high def aren't they? so that takes care of me. And I can rent movies in high def. I imagine that I'll do it eventually. Just don't see a need yet.

Hammer67
01-22-2007, 09:02 PM
I know...I know...but I don't watch that much tv....PBS for my 3 yr old mostly! I think 24, Prison Break, and ER are in high def aren't they? so that takes care of me. And I can rent movies in high def. I imagine that I'll do it eventually. Just don't see a need yet.

If network TV is all you really want, then you can get a High Def antenna for your tv to get the local affiliates in High Definition.

floodcitygirl
01-22-2007, 09:08 PM
If network TV is all you really want, then you can get a High Def antenna for your tv to get the local affiliates in High Definition.
Thanks for the info! So far so good though.

Hammer67
01-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the info! So far so good though.

Well..unless you have digital cable or satellite, the only way to get HD channels is to get a n HD antenna. If not, you are watching all your channels on regular, "Low" res TV. Bleh...what a waste of a good HD tv. :sofunny:

klick81
01-23-2007, 01:32 AM
I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma that is wayyyyyyyyy too big for my room, but oh is it sweeet!!! :smile:

Preacher
01-23-2007, 01:59 AM
Yep.. I have a 52 inch Hi Def. with Hi def sat. it is great!!!

floodcitygirl
01-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Well..unless you have digital cable or satellite, the only way to get HD channels is to get a n HD antenna. If not, you are watching all your channels on regular, "Low" res TV. Bleh...what a waste of a good HD tv. :sofunny:Really??? Well when I switch it to the HD stations (Which is one up from the regular channel) they come in with such a great picture and it looks totally different. Hmmmm.....could the antenna be built in or behind it where I can't see? Guys from the store where I bought it set it up so I don't know. All I know is that when I switch it, it looks like hi def to me....it's a great picture???!!! They have to come back to give me a new remote. I'll check it out! :wink02:

klick81
01-23-2007, 10:43 AM
50 INCHES of PLASMA HD , and I don't mind sucking..:banana: :banana:

LOL...i agree.

MACH1
01-23-2007, 10:59 AM
If the channels your getting are say like 11.1 or 35.1 then those are your local HD channels. You can pick up HD channels with a regular ant. But you do get better reception with a hd capable ant. I have a 50" plasma w/ directv so I know a little bit about this subject.

This is a link to see what HD staitions are in the area.
http://www.solidsignal.com/manu/antennasdirect/dmamarkets.asp

Here are a couple of links to a good place to find a HD ant. and to find out some info on what you need.
http://www.solidsignal.com/manu/antennasdirect/choose_antenna.asp
http://www.solidsignal.com/manu/antennasdirect/antenna_faqs.asp

This is what I have and it works excellent. I dont know what your living in, i.e. apartment or house. But if you can hang one of these up its well worth it. It doesnt have all the wires and arms like a regular ant., looks a lot cleaner and its not very big.
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=SS-1000

Hammer67
01-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Good info bcrat. This antenna is actually an indoor antenna and it's small. It would easily sit on a bookcase or speaker. And, it works really well.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=03&CAT=&PROD=ZHDTV1

By the way, fellow DirecTV customers. What do you think of the HDLite debacle plaguing satellite HD viewers? I am totally against it and I can tell the quality difference.

floodcitygirl
01-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I'm definately going to check into it! Wouldn't want to be "wasteful" with my HD experience. :smile: Glad to know that this antenna is indoor too cause I'm not seeing me climbing out on the roof any time soon! :cheers:

MACH1
01-23-2007, 05:10 PM
By the way, fellow DirecTV customers. What do you think of the HDLite debacle plaguing satellite HD viewers? I am totally against it and I can tell the quality difference.

Nope dont like it at all. I think when they get all the new birds up in the air this will change. Their suppose to get them up by the end of the year, thats one of the reasons their swithing to a 5 lnb dish.

Hammer67
01-24-2007, 06:19 AM
Nope dont like it at all. I think when they get all the new birds up in the air this will change. Their suppose to get them up by the end of the year, thats one of the reasons their swithing to a 5 lnb dish.

I have the 5lnb dish and the new HD box. I hope they address it....It is annoying. I can really tell on HDNet.