PDA

View Full Version : WR Calvin Johnson

Elvis
01-08-2007, 06:33 PM
At 6'4" 230 lbs. Calvin Johnson looks awesome at the collegiate level.. but will he be another Mike Williams or Plaxico Burress or can he be a T.O. or Chad Johnson? I am still in between so, I will give my opinion later...:coffee: :wave:

In Cowher We Trust
01-10-2007, 06:22 PM
i would draft him in a heartbeat

I.C. Lights
01-10-2007, 07:59 PM
I agree...but I think we needed to loose a few more games to have a shot at him.

SteelCzar76
01-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Calvin is IMO one of the very few players in this draft that could be considered nearly "sure bets". He has freakish speed to go along with exceptional size, body control, leaping abilty, hands and runs routes well.
No add these things with the fact that he's a hard worker with outstanding character and i think your looking at a stronger "young Randy Moss" WITHOUT all of the baggage and foolishness.
Bottom line,....this kid has the potential to become THE very best receiver in the game.

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Black@Gold Forever32
01-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Calvin is IMO one of the very few players in this draft that could be considered nearly "sure bets". He has freakish speed to go along with exceptional size, body control, leaping abilty, hands and runs routes well.
No add these things with the fact that he's a hard worker with outstanding character and i think your looking at a stronger "young Randy Moss" WITHOUT all of the baggage and foolishness.
Bottom line,....this kid has the potential to become THE very best receiver in the game.

I agree Czar this kid is going to be great. Like you said he is Randy Moss/TO without the headache that comes along with those guys. He won't be there at 15 but if he was I'm sorry the Steelers should draft him.lol

Big D
01-11-2007, 11:37 AM
it's to bad that the raiders will probably draft him and ruin his career

SteelCzar76
01-11-2007, 12:12 PM
it's to bad that the raiders will probably draft him and ruin his career

LOL,.....I know right ? Perhaps for Calvin's sake they (Raiders) will "Brain Fart" and select Jamarcus Russell based on one decent season and Ryan Leaf like measurables.:sofunny:
(Russell could be the 2nd coming of Culpepper,......but for some reason,....."I've got a bad feelin about this"):sofunny:

"Hail Caesar,.....HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Big D
01-11-2007, 02:05 PM
LOL,.....I know right ? Perhaps for Calvin's sake they (Raiders) will "Brain Fart" and select Jamarcus Russell based on one decent season and Ryan Leaf like measurables.:sofunny:
(Russell could be the 2nd coming of Culpepper,......but for some reason,....."I've got a bad feelin about this"):sofunny:

"Hail Caesar,.....HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

me too! Even if the faiders do draft him 1. they dont have a qb that can get him the ball. 2. how well will Jerry Porter and Randy moss like this pick. I dont see al trading either moss or porter.

Elvis
01-12-2007, 06:10 PM
:helmet: He looks awesome in college and I believe he will be good but the Mike Williams in Detroit makes me hesitant. But if he lasted for some Crazy reason to the 15th pick then the Steelers would have to grab him up...:wave:

Stillers#1
01-13-2007, 01:47 AM
no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no

Get it through your head people the skill positions on O are not our weak spots. I'm sure everyone wants us to draft someone "high-profile" so they can have another jersey to buy, but we need O-line, CB, LB (not in any specific order)

SteelCzar76
01-13-2007, 11:10 AM

Get it through your head people the skill positions on O are not our weak spots. I'm sure everyone wants us to draft someone "high-profile" so they can have another jersey to buy, but we need O-line, CB, LB (not in any specific order)

Stillers your are correct that we have other needs that take precedence over the position (WR). However,.....what i think some of us are trying to say is that,.... you do not pass on a player like Calvin Johnson if your are in the position to "pull the trigger" so to speak.

Elvis
01-13-2007, 05:27 PM

:dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :chicken: :banana:
If Johnson is still available the Steelers would be nuts to pass him up.. but it Will Not Happen, so dont worry about it.. the only way the Steelers have a chance to get him is to trade up and I dont really C them doing that ...:wave:

Stillers#1
01-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Stillers your are correct that we have other needs that take precedence over the position (WR). However,.....what i think some of us are trying to say is that,.... you do not pass on a player like Calvin Johnson if your are in the position to "pull the trigger" so to speak.

There is only one reason to take Johnson, and that is to trade him. No other viable reason.

Stillers43
01-29-2007, 06:56 PM
We'll never get him, but he is going to be great!

Dylan
02-14-2007, 02:04 PM
I think he will turn out to be a great player. He has a great personality unlike williams and burress not like that matters but he is going to be a very solid player in the NFL

jethro1925
02-14-2007, 06:57 PM
He is the best receiver out there and its too bad that the Steelers cant get him.

Elvis
02-20-2007, 06:36 PM
There is only one reason to take Johnson, and that is to trade him. No other viable reason.
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
You dont draft a guy like this to trade him, NO WAY!
He is gonna be pretty good I think and I hope the very best for
him myself...
:helmet:

Preacher
02-21-2007, 02:41 PM

Your right on both accounts. I agree with Stillers on our needs. However, if someone of that talent fell to us, we would be foolish not to take him and then try to build through FA.

After all, Hines is now in his 3rd year of the NEW contract. He only has a few more years in the NFL. We need to start thinking about picking another receiver over the next couple years to groom with Holmes, so that we can have a solid one-two-punch.. maybe even 3 with our TE.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Your right on both accounts. I agree with Stillers on our needs. However, if someone of that talent fell to us, we would be foolish not to take him and then try to build through FA.

After all, Hines is now in his 3rd year of the NEW contract. He only has a few more years in the NFL. We need to start thinking about picking another receiver over the next couple years to groom with Holmes, so that we can have a solid one-two-punch.. maybe even 3 with our TE.

Man you are on the money Preacher...there are a few players that we would be very foolish to pass on if they fell to us..regardless of our needs:

Thomas...Johnson....Peterson...Adams....

Anthony_Smith27
02-22-2007, 03:09 AM
I agree Czar this kid is going to be great. Like you said he is Randy Moss/TO without the headache that comes along with those guys. He won't be there at 15 but if he was I'm sorry the Steelers should draft him.lol

not only should the steelers draft him if hell were to freeze over and he'd be there, but the 14 gm/coaches that passed on him should be fired on the spot for letting him fall to number 15

and for the comments that the raiders are gonna draft him and ruin him. i don't think they will draft him however he's the type of player that will make everyone better, they won't ruin him, he'd make the raiders respectable, that's how great this dude is gonna be, because of what others said he's randy moss/t.o. without the headaches and baggage. his work ethic and his god given talent is gonna take him far and any team he is on is already at least 5-7 games better than they were last year

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Hey, i say we trade up and get him.......Ben doesnt have an all star cast to throw to.
Hines, Holmes,,,,,and then its very questionable.

wv2kybohntr
02-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Johnson will be the rookie of the year next year and shatter the receiving yards and catches for a rookie season...unfortunately he will be gone in the first 3-5 picks.
That being said, if our offense can't keep Ben safe and off his back this year and our defense can't stop opposing offenses off the field we are still 8-8 at the end of 2007 season.
Although I agree we would be foolish not to pick Johnson, if available, he won't be there so we need to focus on the two priorities I mentioned earlier. Protection for Ben and an immediate impact defensive force.