PDA

View Full Version : first round pick

Haiku_Dirtt
01-10-2007, 04:26 AM
Precarious choice.

If you believe the mainstream media we are swiss cheese. Disagree. The players we have now clearly succumbed to the pressure of winning. I'm not shocked.

If I'm Colbert then forget the open market. A RB is always an option but...if it's not in the cards then we have three options.

1) OFFENSIVE LINEMAN

2) LINEBACKER

3) CORNERBACK

Y'all know football. SO! Do we take the best football player at their position?

MY first choice is the best offensive lineman. Period. Linebacker second.

Galax Steeler
01-10-2007, 04:57 AM
I'm thinking cornerback. we gave up alot of big plays.

jbattenhouse
01-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Our D this year did not perform as well as it did last year, but I think it had a lot to do with losing Chris Hope. I think that once Anthony Smith learns the D and gets some more experience, the secondary will improve a lot. Also, while Ike had some bad games, DT was consistently burned all season long. Ike should have been allowed to start opposite BMac and got back his groove. He performed very well in the last game, much better than DT did, so I don't think we take a CB unless someone is there who just cannot be passed up (who that is I don't know).

I think it will be OLB, although if a stud OL is there then that might be the pick. Haggans and Porter are both in the last years of their contracts and at least one will be gone.

Stillers43
01-10-2007, 08:21 AM
I will give you three names for those positions that would make me happy with the first pick!
OL- Brown PSU
LB- Poszulney PSU
CB- Revis Pitt

aburdell
01-10-2007, 10:36 AM
I agree with the Oline and Dback choices but Im thinking middle linebacker rather than outside. we do need some depth at outside for the future but thats why we resigned james harrison. he makes some good plays and i love when he throws chad johnson down on his head haha. he will be starting whenever haggans or porter stop producing. on the other hand farrior is getting pretty old and foote is becoming a top linebacker. farrior will be in his 11th or 12th year i cant remember and Im not too thrilled with rian wallace or clint kriewalt. we should look at pattrick willis out of ole miss. he was a very underrated player this year

DACEB
01-10-2007, 10:49 AM
I will give you three names for those positions that would make me happy with the first pick!
OL- Brown PSU
LB- Poszulney PSU
CB- Revis Pitt

Good choices, I believe we are in good position to fill a need with a top notch player. I think we draft best player available at 15. Any way we should get a quality player whether OLB/DE, CB, OL, or big RB/WR.

memphissteelergirl
01-10-2007, 11:06 AM
IMHO, the O-line should be our priority now. The first pick should go towards getting some depth there. Probably a LB second.

coachspeak33
01-10-2007, 12:06 PM
I really cant see us taking a DB in round 1... Ric Coclough is #4 on our CB depth chart.... Now I am not a huge fan of his but.... look around at other teams.... most of which would love to have a guy of his ability at #4 on their depth chart.... not a bad option to fall back on in case of injury....

I am not a gigantic fan of the "best player available" mentality too much either.... we saw enough bad things from our O line this year for that postion to warrant consideration.... we also know that two factors:
Age (Farrior is entering his 12 or 13 season, Porter and Haggans are approaching 30)
Contract Issues (If Joey thinks the Rooneys are gonna give him top 5 LB $, think again)

These issues are also reason enough in my opinion to warrant serious consideration for selecting a LB with our Rd 1 pick

klick81
01-10-2007, 12:09 PM
IMHO, the O-line should be our priority now. The first pick should go towards getting some depth there. Probably a LB second.

I agree. Ben needs protection.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Thomas will go before our pick..and other than Blaylock..Im not too enamored with any other Linemen in the first round...and I'm not entirely convinced that the level of play between Blaylock and some of the lineman that will go in the second round is enough to make me draft one early.
I think we can get a blue chip LB in the first..and a very good OL in the second

Black@Gold Forever32
01-10-2007, 01:14 PM
I say injecting some youth into the LB core is the way to go in the first round. Everybody complains about the secondary but if you improve the pass rush it makes the secondary better.

As for the Oline. Both Kendall Simmons and Max Starks were average at best this year. Plus Jeff Hartings is probally going to retire. Chucky Okobi would probally get the first shot at center to take over for Hartings. Plus there is Marvin Phillip. As for RG and RT yea there is Chris Kemoeatu at RG backing up Simmons. Plus Colon and Essex will be in the mix at RT to push Starks. But alot of them guys havn't proven themselves. You can never have enough Oline depth if all the best pass rushers at LB are gone by 15 I say take the top Olinemen.

Now if the OLB and Oline are all gone then a top corner prospect would be my next choice.

DACEB
01-10-2007, 01:30 PM
I really cant see us taking a DB in round 1... Ric Coclough is #4 on our CB depth chart.... Now I am not a huge fan of his but.... look around at other teams.... most of which would love to have a guy of his ability at #4 on their depth chart.... not a bad option to fall back on in case of injury....

I am not a gigantic fan of the "best player available" mentality too much either.... we saw enough bad things from our O line this year for that postion to warrant consideration.... we also know that two factors:
Age (Farrior is entering his 12 or 13 season, Porter and Haggans are approaching 30)
Contract Issues (If Joey thinks the Rooneys are gonna give him top 5 LB $, think again)

These issues are also reason enough in my opinion to warrant serious consideration for selecting a LB with our Rd 1 pick

I like your point about Coclough, but is his situation known at this point with the neck injury?

The best player available mentality works if the best player available fills a need. As you stated above there is more than one pressing need at this time. Even a lower rated need like a big RB/WR as many have stated would be hard to pass up. The Steelers do a good job evaluating the talent, and if a player they like falls to their spot I believe that would be the player they would select no matter the rated need.

BozMan
01-10-2007, 02:39 PM
With regards to DB, the one thing we need is HEIGHT! Or at least someone with a good vertical leap. How many times this season did our DBs get beat on endzone passes?

Anthony Madison is 5'9"
Iwuoma is 5'9"
Townsend is 5'10"
Colclough is 5'11"
McFadden is 6'0"
Taylor is 6'1"

Are there any good CB prospects out there that are at least, say, 6'3"? If not, I don't think we should spend an early pick on one.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-10-2007, 02:41 PM
I say injecting some youth into the LB core is the way to go in the first round. Everybody complains about the secondary but if you improve the pass rush it makes the secondary better.

As for the Oline. Both Kendall Simmons and Max Starks were average at best this year. Plus Jeff Hartings is probally going to retire. Chucky Okobi would probally get the first shot at center to take over for Hartings. Plus there is Marvin Phillip. As for RG and RT yea there is Chris Kemoeatu at RG backing up Simmons. Plus Colon and Essex will be in the mix at RT to push Starks. But alot of them guys havn't proven themselves. You can never have enough Oline depth if all the best pass rushers at LB are gone by 15 I say take the top Olinemen.

Now if the OLB and Oline are all gone then a top corner prospect would be my next choice.

We have had this discussion before and I agree with you 100%...got my fingers crossed for Moses!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-10-2007, 02:50 PM
With regards to DB, the one thing we need is HEIGHT! Or at least someone with a good vertical leap. How many times this season did our DBs get beat on endzone passes?

Anthony Madison is 5'9"
Iwuoma is 5'9"
Townsend is 5'10"
Colclough is 5'11"
McFadden is 6'0"
Taylor is 6'1"

Are there any good CB prospects out there that are at least, say, 6'3"? If not, I don't think we should spend an early pick on one.

TOP CB's

Leon Hall 5'11
Darelle Revis 6'0
Daymeion Hughes 6'0
Marcus McCauley 6'0
Antoine Cason 6'0
Tanard Jackson 6'1
Tarell Brown 6'0

Black@Gold Forever32
01-10-2007, 02:50 PM
We have had this discussion before and I agree with you 100%...got my fingers crossed for Moses!!!

I like Moses alot and I would draft him. But I read somewhere he has some character concerns. You know the Rooney's and how they value character. I still would draft him since it seems its minor character concerns. But I'm not in the Steelers draft circle.lol

I think injecting youth into the LB core is needed. But the Dline is aging and alot of the contracts along the Steelers Dline will also be up in the near future. I always wanted the Steelers to find a Richard Seymour type Dlineman. I like that kid from Louisville Amobi Okoye and I think he could play DE in the 3-4. He has graduated from college at the age of 20. He has great character and work ethic. That sounds like a Steeler to me. But there is a great chance he won't there at 15 anyway.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-10-2007, 03:04 PM
I like Moses alot and I would draft him. But I read somewhere he has some character concerns. You know the Rooney's and how they value character. I still would draft him since it seems its minor character concerns. But I'm not in the Steelers draft circle.lol

I think injecting youth into the LB core is needed. But the Dline is aging and alot of the contracts along the Steelers Dline will also be up in the near future. I always wanted the Steelers to find a Richard Seymour type Dlineman. I like that kid from Louisville Amobi Okoye and I think he could play DE in the 3-4. He has graduated from college at the age of 20. He has great character and work ethic. That sounds like a Steeler to me. But there is a great chance he won't there at 15 anyway.

I think there are several STRONG prospects that may push talent into the later rounds and may make Moses available to us in the 1st...Adams from Clemson...Crowder from Texas..Johnson from Georgia...Carriker from Nebraska..and Bruce from Washington St

ironmikefan
01-28-2007, 02:43 PM
first round pick brown OT penn state

Steeldude
01-28-2007, 04:43 PM
OL- Brown PSU
LB- Poszulney PSU
CB- Revis Pitt

seems a little biased. :smile:

posluszny i agree with, but patrick willis might be a better pick because of posluszny's previous knee injuries.

Stillers43
01-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Yes, a little! I also like Blaylock OL from Texas and Adam Carriker DE from Nebraska. Carriker has the ability to play DE in both a 4-3 and 3-4 defense. That might prove to be key since hiring Tomlin.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-28-2007, 10:09 PM
I always want to draft play makers in the first round...RB, WR, CB..etc....

However, I think our OL is our biggest concern.........It was horrible this year and is aging

I would like us to protect ben a little bit this year....

Preacher
01-29-2007, 01:23 AM
Our O line will be fine. I have a lot confidence in Kemo and Colon. I want a CB. Or a trade for a CB. Or a LB if we can't get one.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Our O line will be fine. I have a lot confidence in Kemo and Colon. I want a CB. Or a trade for a CB. Or a LB if we can't get one.

I agree...I have often wondered about whether Simmons could make the switch to center permanatly and Kemo and Faneca would be our guards...Colon will eventually be better than Starks ..and Essex is still a crapshoot...so I wouldnt be dissapointed to see us grab a lineman in the second round...I personally like Doug Free from Northwestern and Joe Staley from Central Michigan..and both might be obtained outside the 1st round

I also see where Lawrence Timmons OLB from Florida St. is climbing the boards..and alot of draft Guru's are thinking we grab him in the first round

As far as CB I think we are okay with Mcfadden & Taylor...but I would like some depth outside of Ricardo....so possibly CB in the second and OL in the third?

How about trade down and grab a extra third round pick ...take Timmons or Moses later in the first... Aaron Ross CB Texas (if he drops a bit) in the second...Joe Staley in the third?..and if we got another third round pick..possibly a guard for the future like Ben Grubbs from Auburn? or an ILB in the fourth

There are so many factors though....we will need kickers...and some depth at safety and ILB.

DACEB
01-30-2007, 08:15 AM
I see where Lawrence Timmons OLB from Florida St. is climbing the boards..and alot of draft Guru's are thinking we grab him in the first round

How about trade down and grab an extra third round pick ...take Timmons or Moses later in the first..

great post l-l-t, I like what I'm hearing about Timmons. What I gather from the scouting reports it sounds like he could play right away in our system and/or cover 2. I like his size and speed and range.

I would like to see us be able to trade down and still get the guy we want in the first. I believe we draft defense with the first pick so trading down might be a possibility with the amount of talent on the defensive side in the first round:

Adams DE; I like Adams over Moses but he might go early
Timmons LB; Immediate impact and depth at LB and ST
Revis CB; I actually like him over Hall, but either could be there
Okoye DE; Kids a freak at 19, so much upside and intelligence, might go early
Carriker DT; Not sure how he would fit, but has the talent
Posluszny LB; Jack Ham says he's the best, how do you argue
Moses DE; Fits our system

I'm not sold on Willis LB or Woodley LB and I'm not sure about OL in the first round. I prefer a playmaker on defense that can help out on special teams right away.

airmax44
02-08-2007, 04:16 AM
We've needed corners for years. We haven't had a good corner since Woodson, and if anyone dares says Chadd Scott well lets see, he made Tim Rittay look like the 2nd coming of Joe Montana on MNF, and his presence in New England has, THANK GOD, ended any chance of them winning another SB while he's there. I guess all I'm saying is that we need a CB, I also agree with the points on needing an OL.

Preacher
02-09-2007, 03:07 AM
We've needed corners for years. We haven't had a good corner since Woodson, and if anyone dares says Chadd Scott well lets see, he made Tim Rittay look like the 2nd coming of Joe Montana on MNF, and his presence in New England has, THANK GOD, ended any chance of them winning another SB while he's there. I guess all I'm saying is that we need a CB, I also agree with the points on needing an OL.

YEP... Now, just like we won't ever get another Bettis, we won't ever find another Woodson that so fits our team. However, we can sure go get a good CB... and i wish we would!!

DACEB
02-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Here's a few questions for everybody;

Is it worth trading up for G. Adams DE/OLB? Minn. pick 7 or Miami pick 9 might have interest in him.
Is it possible he falls to us at 15? I think there's an outside chance he might, he's somewhat of a tweener and Miami might grab a DB.

Would J. Moss DE/OLB suite us just as well? Would Moss be reaching a little at 15?

Who would you choose between Posluszny OLB and L. Timmons OLB? Would you trade up or down for either? Carolina pick 14 and Jacksonville pick 17 are both in the market for LB's.

Is D. Revis CB a reach at 15?

I think L. Brown OT could be off the board at 12 Buffalo, but it's possible we could get J. Staley OT or J. Blaylock OG/OT in the 2nd round.

What do you think LLT? Everybody?

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Here's a few questions for everybody;

Is it worth trading up for G. Adams DE/OLB? Minn. pick 7 or Miami pick 9 might have interest in him.
Is it possible he falls to us at 15? I think there's an outside chance he might, he's somewhat of a tweener and Miami might grab a DB.

Would J. Moss DE/OLB suite us just as well? Would Moss be reaching a little at 15?

Who would you choose between Posluszny OLB and L. Timmons OLB? Would you trade up or down for either? Carolina pick 14 and Jacksonville pick 17 are both in the market for LB's.

Is D. Revis CB a reach at 15?

I think L. Brown OT could be off the board at 12 Buffalo, but it's possible we could get J. Staley OT or J. Blaylock OG/OT in the 2nd round.

What do you think LLT? Everybody?

I wouldnt trade up in this draft at all...15 is a good spot to be in when considering what you are going to have to pay if you trade up to top 10...and the value between the two spots.

I am starting to lean more and more against drafting a transition player and just grabbing a legit OLB or OL with either the 1st and 2nd pick...and possibly flipping the two depending on who is there.
Everything that I am hearing on Posluszney is that he will be moved inside in the pros...so I would go Timmons...Though I like Several OLB..including Everett and Burgess.
I personally (and this can be argued) think that the draft is deeper at CB than OLB and OL..so I would go CB in the third...
I think that Staley will be there in the second and if not him then possibly Ryan Harris or Tony Ugoh...all three will be good NFL prospects

Of course this is all a crap-shoot based on 1) the combine 2) Tomlins philosophy

slashsteel
02-09-2007, 04:48 PM
I am thinking it will be Moss or Levi. If both are off the board (possible) then maybe Willis (yes a ILBer) OR one of the stud DE's like Carriker or Okoye possibly. I would be shocked to see our first rounder come from somebody else outside of the 5. I have mentioned. Unless we trade up or down that is.

prodrivewrx2nv
02-09-2007, 05:02 PM
I would have to say that the O-line needs to tremendous help. Ben needs protection and more time to throw, and Fast Willie needs someone to open up holes for him to get more 200 yd games..... We are a running team and we have a RB that obviously has what it takes to get the job done. The O-line just isn't doing well enough to open holes.

SteelCzar76
02-10-2007, 12:16 PM
As i've stated many times before,....i believe that our secondary is our greatest weakness.
It's my opinion that the O-line is not in as bad a shape as many would like to believe. Okobi will likely fill in well at center and kemoeatu should become a considerable force. Meaning all we really need is depth. And a player like Kyle Young, Joe Staley, Samson Satele or Tony Ugoh should be available in the 3rd or 4th.
Now in regards to our secondary,..here's the Quandry,.....i'm not impressed enough with any of this years crop of corners to take them with the 15th pick. The best DB in my opinion is Laron Landry,...and he's a Safety. Therefore Colbert probably won't 'pull the trigger',...... thinking that we're 'good' so to speak at the safety positions. (he won't even entertain the thought of converting him to a corner)
Which brings me to a very interesting thought. (well at least to me) Tedd Ginn Jr was initially recruited to play Corner at OSU. He has sub 4.4 speed and is very explosive on special teams. I actually like the idea of giving him a shot at corner as oppossed to drafting any of this year's 'average' players at this position in the first round.
Just my two cents.
But with all of that said our 1st round pick will likely be Patrick Willis or Adam Carriker. (And i could live with either) But i would hate to see us waste the pick on an O-lineman, 'suspect' Cornerback or Quentin Moses.

Elvis
02-10-2007, 05:32 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
The more that I see him the more I like
DE Adam Carriker Nebraska
I like him for his size and speed.. he will be a perfect fit for the 3-4 defense if we are gonna stick with IT.

yinzer-inseattle
02-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Which brings me to a very interesting thought. (well at least to me) Tedd Ginn Jr was initially recruited to play Corner at OSU. He has sub 4.4 speed and is very explosive on special teams. I actually like the idea of giving him a shot at corner as oppossed to drafting any of this year's 'average' players at this position in the first round.

NCAA Big 10 Hurdle champ at corner. Reminds me of another Steelers first rounder named Woodson. :smile:

Dylan
02-14-2007, 01:40 PM
I've been think this for the past 2 months and i still am...

Paul Pozluszny with our 1st round pick. He is a very solid player with great intensity and leadership skills