PDA

View Full Version : Bush reconsiders.... now off to the NFL

coachspeak33
01-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Just read an AP report that Bobby Petrino's decision to head for Atlanta has led Michael Bush, Mr. Big Back, to declare himself eligible for the upcoming NFL draft.

Due to his injury might he slip to us during Rd 2 (pick 47)????

And if so would the Colbert take him???

Atlanta Dan
01-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Just read an AP report that Bobby Petrino's decision to head for Atlanta has led Michael Bush, Mr. Big Back, to declare himself eligible for the upcoming NFL draft.

Due to his injury might he slip to us during Rd 2 (pick 47)????

And if so would the Colbert take him???

Only if Bush can play OLB or right tackle

coachspeak33
01-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Atlanta Dan,
you wouldnt take him in Rd 2.... after addressing LB or OL in Rd 1????

If not why?

coachspeak33
01-10-2007, 12:40 PM
by the way he could drop further than that.... too tough to tell so early before the draft....
but when a team like NE adds Maroney...
and a team like Cincy adds Chris Perry....
and a team like SD has a guy like Turner to go to....
and a team like Dallas adds Maron Barber....
and a team like NY has Jacobs as an insurance policy...

It kinda makes you wonder if 1 RB is enough for a whole season....especially to a team like our Steelers who needs a reliable running game

Atlanta Dan
01-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Atlanta Dan,
you wouldnt take him in Rd 2.... after addressing LB or OL in Rd 1????

If not why?

Offensive line (Starks, Hartings' retirement, Faneca being FA for 2008) and LB (Farrior not getting any younger, Porter probably gone no later than after 2007) are both higher priorities than RB. I agree someone needs to take the load off Parker, but the RB issue is less pressing IMHO; need to address both OL and LB first unless a RB is hanging around that Steelers thought to be of much greater value on their draftboard when they draft in round 2.

Hines0wnz
01-10-2007, 02:05 PM
It kinda makes you wonder if 1 RB is enough for a whole season....especially to a team like our Steelers who needs a reliable running game

1300+ yards wasnt reliable enough? :uhh:

fansince'76
01-10-2007, 02:07 PM
1300+ yards wasnt reliable enough? :uhh:

I think he meant what if Willie (lord forbid) gets injured and has to sit awhile? If that would have happened this year, we wouldn't even have made it to 8-8. Sorry, I'm not sold on Davenport as a reliable 2nd option in the running game.

In Cowher We Trust
01-10-2007, 05:24 PM
hes a great back

SteelCzar76
01-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Offensive line (Starks, Hartings' retirement, Faneca being FA for 2008) and LB (Farrior not getting any younger, Porter probably gone no later than after 2007) are both higher priorities than RB. I agree someone needs to take the load off Parker, but the RB issue is less pressing IMHO; need to address both OL and LB first unless a RB is hanging around that Steelers thought to be of much greater value on their draftboard when they draft in round 2.

I'm of the mindset that one can accuire quality O-lineman from the 3rd round onward. Could we use help up front ? Certainly,.....but we are far from being the "Cardinals" in this respect.
And regarding LB,......when was the last time we used a 1st rounder to address the position ? Yet we always seem to maintain a level of production from our corps that even during our worst times,..... remains at least in the League top ten. (32 teams)
I think upgrading the secondary and or adding a "Power" compliment to Willie is of far more pressing concern with our early day one picks. (ESPECIALLY in the 1st)

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

MJ5150
01-11-2007, 04:25 PM
And regarding LB,......when was the last time we used a 1st rounder to address the position ? Yet we always seem to maintain a level of production from our corps that even during our worst times,.....

I do not have an answer for your question, just a comment.

In the past, we have always had a healthy stable of LBs waiting in the wings. I don't see that anymore. As was mentioned, we have a couple LB's that will need to be replaced sooner than the time it would take to grab a guy late in the draft and groom him for three or so years to step in.

-Mike

paw-n-maul-u
01-11-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm of the mindset that one can accuire quality O-lineman from the 3rd round onward. Could we use help up front ? Certainly,.....but we are far from being the "Cardinals" in this respect.
And regarding LB,......when was the last time we used a 1st rounder to address the position ? Yet we always seem to maintain a level of production from our corps that even during our worst times,..... remains at least in the League top ten. (32 teams)
I think upgrading the secondary and or adding a "Power" compliment to Willie is of far more pressing concern with our early day one picks. (ESPECIALLY in the 1st)

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

I agree, kind of.

I'm not sold that davenport can be the back if parker goes down for an extended amount of time. But i dont necessarily think that we have to use a first rounder on a running back that is AT BEST going to split time with parker (parkers extension ...). Our LB's are aging, our D-line could use a solid pass rusher .. Kiesel did pretty well but also completely disappeard/got dominated but some o-lineman (see baltimore games). How about the offensive line??? faneca can still dominate any d-lineman in the league, however, I really think his supporting cast affected his play. A lot depends on who the coach is. itll be up to him and colbert to pick that players that will fit the new coaches system

Showdaddeee
01-11-2007, 09:58 PM
I'd take him in the 2nd round if he was there with out a thought, he's a huge back and a solid person. Hopefully we can get a big WR with the 15th pick and look at the line with the 3rd and 4th round picks.

louisvillecards
01-12-2007, 04:41 AM
ive watched mike play 4 years of college ball and even a couple years of high school ball were he was a quarterback he and brian brohm went head to head in the state championship in one of the greatest high school games ive ever seen.he can throw passes catch passes and is one hell of a running back but was actually recruited at louisville as a quarterback.i dont think he will slip to the second round but if the steelers have the chance to get him in any round they wouldnt be sorry hes a class guy all the way

DACEB
01-12-2007, 06:15 AM
There are probably only three studs at each position (OL and DE/OLB) to be taken in the first round. If any are available I'm sure the Steelers will pick them. IMO Bush would be a huge asset and compliment to FWP. We need and are accustomed to having a big back that can get the tough yards and keep drives going. Part of why our defense struggled this year was due to being on the field to often, too many stalled drives. We all agree that our O-line struggled but depth is not an issue. Depth is a big issue with the LB corp. though and should be addressed accordingly. With the needs we have I still believe the Steelers take best player available at the DE/OLB, OL, CB positions. I would definitely not rule out a stud BIG RB or BIG WR.

coachspeak33
01-12-2007, 08:00 AM
great post DACEB...

stalled drives occured way too often this season... and i felt it had a major impact on our D.... especially as games (and the season) wore on....

our inability to move the ball... with a major emphasis placed on our ineptitude on 1st and 3rd down.... gives me a hunger for a rd 1 offensive skill position choice (WR, RB)

and then go LB, OL the next few rounds....

coachspeak33
01-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Our ineffectiveness on 1st down all season also makes me lean toward Grimm as opposed to the Whiz

Petesburgh66
01-16-2007, 12:32 AM
Drafting a running back may send a negative vibe to Parker by implying you can't get the job done. But IMO, the Steelers do need to find a big back some how to complement him in games were he can't cut it. Unless I am wrong, TJ Duckett entry level contract is up this spring. I rather go after him and save the first round pick for a OL or LB. The O line had major problems last year and that needs to be fixed ASAP.

Preacher
01-16-2007, 12:42 AM
I say...

Pick up a CB/LB in the first round. Then, if Bush drops to us in the second round, though I am worried about him being injury prone, take him.

Step into free agency, and pick up a good CB or LB (which ever one was not drafted first round).

Then, use our 3 and 4 round picks to draft a couple tall receivers from small schools. We can't afford to use our 1 or 2 pick on a receiver. We have a good enough corp. But I want a tall receiver for the fade route into the endzone.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-16-2007, 12:29 PM

I with Dan on this completely. I watched the XL replay for the first time yesterday and I can't say enough about the play of Alan Faneca...Hartings too. The blocking scheme on Parker's 75 yard TD looked automatic. I would have given Faneca the Super Bowl MVP. Starks (a precursor to his follow up season) looked clumsy and fortunate to be in the right place at the right time. Lost.

IMHO we must take the best offensive lineman available. Period. The situation with the O-line is almost dire. If you think Parker had trouble running against Baltimore last season...Oh and we get to play Jacksonville again.

Colon looks promising. Marvel Smith degressed but finished strong - against weaker teams. But if the murmurs about moving Simmons to center is any indication about the confidence in Okobi then that is just one more huge question mark. Who knows WTF we can expect from Essex or Kemoeatu. If anyone can see optimism in that then please forward the rose-colored glasses.

At LB we have alot of bodies on roster in terms of numbers at least. Time to shore up quality.

Preacher
01-16-2007, 01:08 PM
I with Dan on this completely. I watched the XL replay for the first time yesterday and I can't say enough about the play of Alan Faneca...Hartings too. The blocking scheme on Parker's 75 yard TD looked automatic. I would have given Faneca the Super Bowl MVP. Starks (a precursor to his follow up season) looked clumsy and fortunate to be in the right place at the right time. Lost.

IMHO we must take the best offensive lineman available. Period. The situation with the O-line is almost dire. If you think Parker had trouble running against Baltimore last season...Oh and we get to play Jacksonville again.

Colon looks promising. Marvel Smith degressed but finished strong - against weaker teams. But if the murmurs about moving Simmons to center is any indication about the confidence in Okobi then that is just one more huge question mark. Who knows WTF we can expect from Essex or Kemoeatu. If anyone can see optimism in that then please forward the rose-colored glasses.

At LB we have alot of bodies on roster in terms of numbers at least. Time to shore up quality.

You make a couple of good points. However, if the situation is as dire as you predict (and it may be), then we don't have the ability to wait for the development of the player. We need to go out and get one through FA. Draft is better, but only if we can take some time to develop them.

slashsteel
01-16-2007, 05:03 PM
You have to go BPA. So if Bush drops to two, if a greater talent level for our two major needs isn't there then of course I would go for Bush.