PDA

View Full Version : The Official Bill Cowher's Successor Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

OneForTheToe
01-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Okay... a couple of things...

1. A new coach, a new scheme, if the D scheme changes, I will be absolutely happy with that.

2. I want a STRONG leader. No Mora, I want a person that will come in here and lay down the law...

3. About the run... HEY... If we get a head coach that moves away from the run... and we win 5 SB in 5 years.... 5 in 10 years... 5 in 15 years... I AM ALL FOR IT... people. The game evolves. If we can change and win more SB's... then good for the coach.

If you could guarantee five SB's, I don't care if we hire Paris Hilton as the HC. But, we don't have the luxery of foresight.

I agree that there is more than one way to do things successfully. However, a good consistent running game is still a major part of most successful teams. It allows you to impose your physicality upon your opponent. Even teams like the 80's 49er's, who were better known for their passing game, also had a very good running game. In addition, Ben's skills seem more a fit to a team that runs a lot of play-action- pass with a vertical passing game.

I don't care if the Steelers use a standard 4-3, Tampa two or a 3-4 in the future. Ultimately, it's about execution. However, the Steelers defensive talent is geared towards running the 3-4 D. I just think you would be in transition for a couple of years. The Steelers still have the talent to compete now, IMO. Plus, I wan't coach lebeau back. I think our D needs some help (corner and LB'er) but it is a sound defensive scheme. The Jets certainly don't think it is outdated.

Preacher
01-08-2007, 12:05 AM
The thought of Tomlin as Head Coach seems a far better look for us than Whiz or Grimm IMO. However i don't like the thought of ousting Coach Lebeau and or "competely" changing our scheme. There is alot to be said for the value of continuity. (from a "system" standpoint)

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

I agree. However, the problem is that our system has failed the last few years when it comes to the pass.

YES... EVEN LAST YEAR. We need to change our scheme to shut down the pass as well as the run.

OneForTheToe
01-08-2007, 12:10 AM
I agree. However, the problem is that our system has failed the last few years when it comes to the pass.

YES... EVEN LAST YEAR. We need to change our scheme to shut down the pass as well as the run.

But, I think that is linked to poor play in the secondary and a lack of another pure pass rusher at LB'er, rather than than scheme.

tony hipchest
01-08-2007, 12:16 AM
The thought of Tomlin as Head Coach seems a far better look for us than Whiz or Grimm IMO. However i don't like the thought of ousting Coach Lebeau and or "competely" changing our scheme. There is alot to be said for the value of continuity. (from a "system" standpoint)

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"i think alot of upcoming free agents may re consider being a steeler for life if the rooneys are gonna blow this whole thing up and start from scratch. sure if they hire tomlin it could work. its a gamble, but it could work. him and a bunch of no name assistants could be the cheapest coaching staff in the nfl too. i hope thats not the motivation here.

do you wanna hire a dump truck driver with a CDL to chauffer you around in your Rolls Royce or do you wanna hire mario andretti? tough question.

Stillers#1
01-08-2007, 12:20 AM
i think alot of upcoming free agents may re consider being a steeler for life if the rooneys are gonna blow this whole thing up and start from scratch. sure if they hire tomlin it could work. its a gamble, but it could work. him and a bunch of no name assistants could be the cheapest coaching staff in the nfl too. i hope thats not the motivation here.

do you wanna hire a dump truck driver with a CDL to chauffer you around in your Rolls Royce or do you wanna hire mario andretti? tough question.

So, it may be the beers I had tonite, but ummmm who exactly are u endorsing? I'm just waaaay confused, too many of those metaphor thingies.

Oh and for what it's worth, they have got to hire Grimm.

tony hipchest
01-08-2007, 12:25 AM
So, it may be the beers I had tonite, but ummmm who exactly are u endorsing? I'm just waaaay confused, too many of those metaphor thingies.

Oh and for what it's worth, they have got to hire Grimm.i definitely want 2 of these 3 to stay (were bound to lose 1). : lebeau, whiz, and grimm. (especially lebeau).

ultimately i wouldve prefered bill cowher being paid market value but he comes with a mario andretti price tag.

SteelCzar76
01-08-2007, 12:52 AM

As i've stated on many occassions Padre,.....i believe our failings (especially against the pass),... to be a matter of sub standard personel as oppossed to scheme.

SteelCzar76
01-08-2007, 01:03 AM
i think alot of upcoming free agents may re consider being a steeler for life if the rooneys are gonna blow this whole thing up and start from scratch. sure if they hire tomlin it could work. its a gamble, but it could work. him and a bunch of no name assistants could be the cheapest coaching staff in the nfl too. i hope thats not the motivation here.

The Gods know that i'm firm believer in quality Tone-LOL But with that in mind,....who's to say Tomlin is not a young Mario Andretti ?
Everything must have a begining. Whom could have comprehended or forseen what Coach Cowher would go on to achieve,......when he first arrived at such a young age all those years ago ?

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

tony hipchest
01-08-2007, 01:13 AM
The Gods know that i'm firm believer in quality Tone-LOL But with that in mind,....who's to say Tomlin is not a young Mario Andretti ?
Everything must have a begining. Whom could have comprehended or forseen what Coach Cowher would go on to achieve,......when he first arrived at such a young age all those years ago ?

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"cowher wasnt taking over a sb champ (1 year removed) when he arrived.

cowher was given the keys to a lincoln.

art shell, crennell, marinelli were handed over the keys to a pinto.

the rooneys are looking for someone to drive their jag.

even mario andretti wrecked a few times in his younger, less experienced days. as good as he became he cant do nothing with a crap car.

SteelCzar76
01-08-2007, 01:53 AM
cowher wasnt taking over a sb champ (1 year removed) when he arrived.

cowher was given the keys to a lincoln.

art shell, crennell, marinelli were handed over the keys to a pinto.

the rooneys are looking for someone to drive their jag.

even mario andretti wrecked a few times in his younger, less experienced days. as good as he became he cant do nothing with a crap car.

Some might argue that Jags are greatly overated Tone. (LOL) Not to say that they're not quality vehicles. But that they're the "middle class" of the "luxury" market.
And require much more "maintanance" than one would expect.

Preacher
01-08-2007, 03:46 AM
As i've stated on many occassions Padre,.....i believe our failings (especially against the pass),... to be a matter of sub standard personel as oppossed to scheme.

I know... and I agree when it comes to our DB's... well, our CB's in particular.

But that is the problem. When one part breaks down, it forces the others to break. The scheme seems to be one which allows lots of drives.

I really think it has been figured out.

More importantly, with the personnel we have as safeties next year.... I think a cover-two may be GREAT! Imagine Troy and Anthony ball hawking all day?

83-Steelers-43
01-08-2007, 07:17 AM
Steelers set to interview Grimm, Whisenhunt

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, January 8, 2007

The NFL playoffs are moving forward without one of their usual participants.
But that hardly means this is a slow time for the Steelers -- at least not for the team's top officials and two of its assistant coaches.

Russ Grimm will be given the opportunity to make his case for becoming the team's third head coach since 1969 today, when he meets with Steelers chairman Dan Rooney, president Art Rooney II and director of football operations Kevin Colbert.

Grimm's interview will be the first of at least three scheduled for this week at the team's South Side facility.

In addition to Grimm, a Scottdale native who is the team's offensive line/assistant head coach, the Steelers will interview offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt on Tuesday. They are also expected to interview Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin on Wednesday.

The Rooneys and Colbert were in Chicago on Sunday, interviewing Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera at a hotel near O'Hare International Airport. Rivera, a former NFL player who has built one of the top defenses in the league, has interviewed with three other teams, as well.

The only coaching candidate who may be more coveted than Rivera is Whisenhunt, who interviewed with Atlanta last week.

But the Falcons instead hired Louisville coach Bobby Petrino yesterday, according Kenny Klein, Louisville's sports information director.

Whisenhunt also has met with the Arizona Cardinals and Miami Dolphins about their coaching vacancies.

Rivera's credentials and profile make him attractive to the Steelers. He's a defensive-minded coach who also is a proponent of running the ball.

His meeting with the Rooneys and Colbert satisfies the NFL requirement that teams with a head coaching vacancy interview at least one minority candidate.

That means the Steelers could make a hire at any time, and one thing working against Rivera is that he's not allowed to accept a head coaching job until the Bears' season is over.

Chicago, the No. 1 seed in the NFC, plays Seattle Seahawks next Sunday in a divisional playoff game.

In a measure of how quickly teams are moving to fill vacancies, the Dolphins flew to Chicago on Saturday to interview Rivera and Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner. They later met with Whisenhunt aboard owner Wayne Huizenga's private jet at Pittsburgh International Airport.

While Whisenhunt is making his best pitch to the Steelers on Tuesday, Grimm will be in Arizona interviewing with the Cardinals.

Tomlin has emerged as a candidate for several openings. Only 34, he has attracted attention because of the job he's done with the Vikings.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_487496.html

83-Steelers-43
01-08-2007, 09:24 AM
IMO, Ken Whisenhunt will be the next Steelers head coach. Between Whisenhunt knowing the players, knowing the system, knowing the Rooney's and most importantly, knowing our "franchise QB", I think that's the road the Rooney's will travel.

Big D
01-08-2007, 09:26 AM
IMO, Ken Whisenhunt will be the next Steelers head coach.

what makes you so sure about that?

Big D
01-08-2007, 09:28 AM
does anyone know anymore about this.. I found this on a raider board
Sources: Steelers targeting Rob Ryan for head coach slot
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 17:18:15 PST

Oakland raiders defensive coordinater rob ryan to could be steelers next head coach, several league sources confirmed Sunday night, and the team is in contract negotiations aimed at securing a contract agreement reach by monday

83-Steelers-43
01-08-2007, 09:28 AM
what makes you so sure about that?

I edited my post. Sorry about that. I have a editing addiction. lol. Added on why I think it will be Whisenhunt. Btw, I'm not "so sure", but that's just my hunch and who "I think" it is going to be. I find it hard for anybody to be completely sure of who this teams next HC will be.

Stillers#1
01-08-2007, 09:59 AM
i definitely want 2 of these 3 to stay (were bound to lose 1). : lebeau, whiz, and grimm. (especially lebeau).

ultimately i wouldve prefered bill cowher being paid market value but he comes with a mario andretti price tag.

I gotta say I agree for the most part. My feelings are they need to go with Grimm, and convince Lebeau to stay. The Steelers for the past 15 years have been known as having a motivator as a coach, not a genius.

Now this begs an intersting question, if Grimm gets hired, Whiz is gone, who does Grimm hire as O-coordinator? Maybe an old buddy?

Big D
01-08-2007, 10:01 AM
I gotta say I agree for the most part. My feelings are they need to go with Grimm, and convince Lebeau to stay. The Steelers for the past 15 years have been known as having a motivator as a coach, not a genius.

Now this begs an intersting question, if Grimm gets hired, Whiz is gone, who does Grimm hire as O-coordinator? Maybe an old buddy?

I dont think whisenhunt would leave to be another coordinator elsewhere... So i think if nobody snags him up as there head coach he will be back. But if he does leave i would assume that Whipple would take over

DACEB
01-08-2007, 10:09 AM
We had this discussion more than a few times, and I've always leaned towards Russ Grimm. He just seems to fit the mold the best for the organization, IMHO, being from here. He impressed me in the Superbowl DVD with how he relates to the players, also.

One time he cracked me up when Ben threw an int..... his reaction? "DAMN IT BEN!!1" (Heh... that could've been me at home)

I definitely like that type of Parcells/Simms reaction. Any which way I would like to see a coach that is not afraid to get in players faces when they screw up. I would also like to see a coach that is not afraid to shake things up for the betterment of the team. The only thing that worries me about Grimm is that the o-line play was so poor this year. Was that Cowhers stubbornness not getting other guys in or does that fall on Grimm. I lean towards Grimm getting the job over Whiz between the two (unless there is a better candidate out there). Whiz will be calling the plays so his familiarity with Ben is of no advantage unless he would leave if Grimm gets the job.

clevestinks
01-08-2007, 12:09 PM
I saw this poll on the Steelers Fever Main Page.

Who would you hire to coach the Steelers?
Ken Whisenhunt 53.3%
Russ Grimm 25.0%
Jeff Fisher 10.5%
Mike Tomlin 3.3%
Other Coach 7.9%

153 votes

STEEL-MAN
01-08-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm pulling for Russ, he is a HOF guy! He played under a great coach and has SB rings to show for it. He's a guy that knows what it takes to build a team, He's not afraid to get dirty. He knows football! I thought a few years ago when they made him A. H. coach, they were setting him up to take Cowher's job. I don't think the team will miss a beat with him running show, who knows he could even be an upgrade.

Seems a lot of people are concerned the Steeler's may change to a 43 set, whats up! We won 4 SB with it! 1 with a 34! Personally, both win with the right personal. I also believe Dick could do a lot with the 43 if need be! I'm glad the Steelers are making coach change, I'm glad for Bill as well. He needs to get some QT with his family, he deserves it, God bless him! The future looks bright for the team, now lets talk needs, the draft is just around the corner...We need a big bruser back and an outside pass rusher.... :coffee:

ARKIESTEEL
01-08-2007, 01:37 PM
DITKA???

Stillers#1
01-08-2007, 01:52 PM
DITKA???

I will shit a brick (in a good way).

Big D
01-08-2007, 02:06 PM
I will shit a brick (in a good way).

I just hope nobody asks ditka why he is in a bad mood.

tony hipchest
01-08-2007, 02:34 PM
I saw this poll on the Steelers Fever Main Page.

Who would you hire to coach the Steelers?
Ken Whisenhunt 53.3%
Russ Grimm 25.0%
Jeff Fisher 10.5%
Mike Tomlin 3.3%
Other Coach 7.9%

153 votes
out of 153 people, ONLY 15 would want jeff fisher??? :dang:

StillerPaul
01-08-2007, 03:36 PM
DITKA???

Man that brings up an interesting point. How would yin'z feel if we were to hire a coach like Ditka or Parcells?

I'm kinda on the fence with it. There are some valid reasons to go after a coach like that, one being we have so many pieces in place for a SB run. But the big draw back with me is longevity. Who knows how soon we'd be lookin' for another HC?

Big D
01-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Man that brings up an interesting point. How would yin'z feel if we were to hire a coach like Ditka or Parcells?

I'm kinda on the fence with it. There are some valid reasons to go after a coach like that, one being we have so many pieces in place for a SB run. But the big draw back with me is longevity. Who knows how soon we'd be lookin' for another HC?

it's slim to none for both. Ditka was an utter failure when he was in new orleans. And the rooneys wouldnt give the kinda $$$$$$ to bring in parcells

stlrtruck
01-08-2007, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't want Ditka or Parcells. Both are re-treads in the league. The go somewhere for a few years (Parcells anyway) and then their done. I want a coach who can weather the storm, solidify this team like Cowher did in his 15 years.

What I really want is a coach that will make me forget Bill Cowher! If the Rooney's can find that guy, then they've done their job too! I just don't think the guy is out there!

Big D
01-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Mike Tomlin...

BozMan
01-08-2007, 05:29 PM
I dont think whisenhunt would leave to be another coordinator elsewhere... So i think if nobody snags him up as there head coach he will be back. But if he does leave i would assume that Whipple would take over

At least we did not lose Whipple to Boston College.

I like our current staff of LeBeau, Whisenhunt, Grimm, and Whipple. They know our players and our players know them. If a new head coach is brought in, chances are much if not all of the current staff would be replaced.

So that would mean we would need to hire either Grimm or Whisenhunt to maximize continuity.

With the Atlanta vacancy filled, there is much less change we will lose Whiz. He has already passed up Oakland. Would he really want to go to Atlanta or Miami?

The ideal situation, in my opinion, would be to have Grimm as head coach and then somehow keep Whisenhunt (perhaps with a hefty raise) as OC. I think it is vitally important, for the reasons Ron Cook listed in his column, to retain Whiz on the coaching staff. On the other hand, Grimm is also a valuable asset, and I can see him being an excellent motivator as a head coach.

If Grimm is the choice, what are the chances we keep Whiz as OC? On the other hand, if Whiz is the choice, what are the chances we keep Grimm as O-line coach?

The only drawback I can foresee to this situation is that it might be awkward for Whiz to have Grimm as his boss.

tony hipchest
01-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Some might argue that Jags are greatly overated Tone.

just like they do the steelers(LOL)

Not to say that they're not quality vehicles.

and we know the steelers arent a non quality team

But that they're the "middle class" of the "luxury" market.

right where our 8-8 record puts us

And require much more "maintanance" than one would expect.

people have called big ben and j. porter "high maintenance"

lol. that analogy almost worked out perfectly. IMO the steelers are a ferrari but i didnt want to seem too biassed :wink02: :wink02:

SteelCzar76
01-08-2007, 06:54 PM
lol. that analogy almost worked out perfectly. IMO the steelers are a ferrari but i didnt want to seem too biassed :wink02: :wink02:

"Indeed the force is strong with you Tone,.........but your not a Jedi,...yet" :sofunny:
Whom gets your vote of confidence for "field general" ? (Yes,... i'm throwing down the proverbial "gauntlet") LOL

SteelCzar76
01-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Mike Tomlin...

Exactly.

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

tony hipchest
01-08-2007, 07:02 PM
"Indeed the force is strong with you Tone,.........but your not a Jedi,...yet" :sofunny:
Whom gets your vote of confidence for "field general" ? (Yes,... i'm throwing down the proverbial "gauntlet") LOL

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"im all for keeping it in house. i dont see it as majorly broke. it would be bad enough to see the consistancy that has been established in our coaching staff tore up, but to start messing with the personnel too?

our defense has some work to do to catch up with the ravens. we are old up front. our offense is young, but again, old up front. standing pat wont work next year. but then again, neither will scrapping a proven system and gambling on something new. sure we can hire mangini, or s. payton. but the jury is still out on them.

the players (until this past season it seems) would run through a brick wall for cowher. it seems they would do the same for whiz, grimm, and lebeau. hard to find 3 more well respected assistants by their players.

SteelCzar76
01-08-2007, 08:04 PM
im all for keeping it in house. i dont see it as majorly broke. it would be bad enough to see the consistancy that has been established in our coaching staff tore up, but to start messing with the personnel too?

our defense has some work to do to catch up with the ravens. we are old up front. our offense is young, but again, old up front. standing pat wont work next year. but then again, neither will scrapping a proven system and gambling on something new. sure we can hire mangini, or s. payton. but the jury is still out on them.

the players (until this past season it seems) would run through a brick wall for cowher. it seems they would do the same for whiz, grimm, and lebeau. hard to find 3 more well respected assistants by their players.

Very perceptive Tone. We very well could use some youth and or explosiveness in the "trenches" on both sides of the ball. (And IMO the secondary as well)
I also agree that we should not change our defensive philosophy and or scheme. (Pleasebelieveit) LOL
I do however,.....disagree that the team would show even half of the devotion or willingness to "march through hell" for Whiz or Grimm as they did for Coach Cowher. (Coach Lebeau is far more worthy in this respect,.....but honestly how much longer will he want to continue coaching ?)
I think the nature of our roster as it stands would be better served by a "youthful fighting spirit" to bring back a feeling of "Hunger".

tony hipchest
01-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Very perceptive Tone. We very well could use some youth and or explosiveness in the "trenches" on both sides of the ball. (And IMO the secondary as well)
I also agree that we should not change our defensive philosophy and or scheme. (Pleasebelieveit) LOL
I do however,.....disagree that the team would show even half of the devotion or willingness to "march through hell" for Whiz or Grimm as they did for Coach Cowher. (Coach Lebeau is far more worthy in this respect,.....but honestly how much longer will he want to continue coaching ?)
I think the nature of our roster as it stands would be better served by a "youthful fighting spirit" to bring back a feeling of "Hunger".

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"im just going on the fact that all the players, to a tee, want whiz or grimm to be their next head coach going into the future.

if lebeaus hat was in the mix im sure they would say the same about him, but they know due to his age, he's not really throwing his hat into the ring. the players know it was their play out on the field that let the team, the fans, and the coaching staff down. they are a stand up group of guys, i wouldnt expect anything else. the last thing the players want is to see a good coach like lebeau get fired because they failed at THEIR jobs.

the players and coaches probably both take equal share for this seasons short comings. very fitting in an 8-8 season. i sure wouldve like to see how it played out if ben hadnt nearly died in the off season and then have emergency surgery 4 days before the openning game though. both those had to be a disruption, as much as i, the coaches, and the team wanted to believe it wouldnt be.

i guess saying it wasnt, is like the bengals and their coaches/fans saying all the off the field arrests didnt affect them.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-08-2007, 10:44 PM
was just watching Stan Savran show and he said there is a "rumor" circulation around Miami that the Dolphins will hire Dom Capers the defensive coordinator as the interim coach for 2007, after the year is up Bill will step in as the coach. Cowher will act as a "consultant" for the dolphins this year. Now Stan said this was only a rumor but said stranger things have happened and time will tell :computer:

Just found this on the Miami site...should be interesting to see how things go down.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-dolcoach010807,0,3710189.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Dolphins interview Capers for head coaching vacancy

By Alex Marvez
Sun-Sentinel.com
Posted January 8 2007, 2:29 PM EST

The Dolphins traveled to Jacksonville on Monday to meet with a head-coaching candidate, but the interview wasn't with a member of the Jaguars staff.

Instead, Dolphins defensive chief Dom Capers - who has a home in the Jacksonville area - met with team officials.

The Dolphins have conducted interviews with seven other candidates - Pete Carroll, Cam Cameron, Ron Turner, Ron Rivera, Jim Mora, Chan Gailey and Ken Whisenhunt - away from team headquarters in Davie.

Seeking a replacement for the departed Nick Saban, the Dolphins are scheduled to leave Jacksonville for Minneapolis this afternoon for an interview with Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

Capers, 56, served as head coach for Carolina (1995 to 1998) and Houston (2002 to 2005) before joining the Dolphins last offseason. The Dolphins ranked fourth in the NFL defensively in 2006 and featured the league's Defensive Player of the Year in end Jason Taylor.

Last week, Taylor offered an endorsement of Capers if he were named head coach.

"There is a certain level of familiarity there," Taylor said. "You have the continuity … He is a guy that knows what he is doing. How that all plays out in the next few days or next few weeks or whatever it maybe that [Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga] needs to make a decision, you never know. But he is a guy we all respect and enjoy playing for."

MommyDoc
01-08-2007, 11:45 PM
[QUOTE=STEEL-MAN;202576]I'm pulling for Russ, he is a HOF guy! He played under a great coach and has SB rings to show for it. He's a guy that knows what it takes to build a team, He's not afraid to get dirty. He knows football! I thought a few years ago when they made him A. H. coach, they were setting him up to take Cowher's job. I don't think the team will miss a beat with him running show, who knows he could even be an upgrade.

Amen Brother-------I'm with you 110%!!!!!:cheer:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Possibility of new head coach by the end of the week....

Steelers' Coach Search: Whisenhunt to interview with team, Tomlin next

Tuesday, January 09, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Russ Grimm is down, Ken Whisenhunt is at-bat today and on deck is Mike Tomlin as the Steelers speed through interviews to find the replacement for coach Bill Cowher.

And the deeper they go through the process, the more obvious it becomes that their next coach will come from within, either Grimm or Whisenhunt.

Grimm, their line coach and assistant head coach, became the second known coach to interview for the job when Steelers officials met with him yesterday at their offices in Heinz Field. Whisenhunt, their offensive coordinator, will interview today.

The Steelers already interviewed Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera in Chicago over the weekend. Tomorrow, Tomlin, who finished his first season as Minnesota's defensive coordinator, will be interviewed.

"I guess it went as well as could be expected," Grimm said. "I was comfortable with it. Now we'll just sit back and wait and see what happens."

No more interviews are known to be scheduled and it's possible the Steelers could have a new head coach by the weekend.

Grimm and Whisenhunt had been the front-runners for the job even before Cowher quit Friday and nothing has happened to change that.

Whisenhunt may have lost out on the head coaching job in his hometown of Atlanta when the Falcons hired Louisville coach Bobby Petrino yesterday. Whisenhunt, sources said, told the Falcons he wanted to wait to be interviewed by the Steelers and see what they would do before he could commit to another job. The Falcons either did not want to wait or were unwilling to have an appearance that they were settling for a second choice.

Grimm and Whisenhunt also are candidates for the Arizona Cardinals coaching job. Grimm will head to Arizona today. Whisenhunt also has been interviewed by the Miami Dolphins.

"I'll go out there tomorrow and see what they have to say and come back on Wednesday," Grimm said.

Rivera, who is Hispanic, and Tomlin, who is African-American, qualify as minority interviews, a requirement in the NFL under its Rooney Rule, put in place at the encouragement of Steelers chairman Dan Rooney. Rivera is not able to be hired until the Bears' playoff run ends.

tony hipchest
01-09-2007, 12:58 AM
Whisenhunt, sources said, told the Falcons he wanted to wait to be interviewed by the Steelers and see what they would do before he could commit to another job. The Falcons either did not want to wait or were unwilling to have an appearance that they were settling for a second choice.

in this case ed, it would be whiz "settling for 2nd choice"... not the falcons.

clevestinks
01-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Whisenhunt may have lost out on the head coaching job in his hometown of Atlanta when the Falcons hired Louisville coach Bobby Petrino yesterday. Whisenhunt, sources said, told the Falcons he wanted to wait to be interviewed by the Steelers and see what they would do before he could commit to another job. The Falcons either did not want to wait or were unwilling to have an appearance that they were settling for a second choice.

You would think that the Falcons job would be his dream job? With him turning down the Raiders last year, and now the Falcons, maybe the writting is on the wall?

83-Steelers-43
01-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Ron Cook: New coach faces many big decisions
New Steelers coach will have many big decisions to make
Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The next Steelers coach will step into a pretty sweet situation. The team, though aging in a few spots and underachieving in a few others this season, has better talent than its 8-8 record. There's no reason it can't challenge the Baltimore Ravens in the AFC North next season, especially if the Ravens end up with a Super Bowl hangover. The Steelers won't turn the ball over 37 times in 2007. Ben Roethlisberger won't throw 23 interceptions. For sure, Big Ben won't be in another motorcycle accident or have a second emergency appendectomy.

But the new man still will have a lot of work to do and plenty of questions to answer.

What to do with linebacker Joey Porter? He didn't have a good year, yet is scheduled to make $5 million next season in the final year of his contract and count $6.6 million against the team's salary cap. Does he get an extension? Do they bring him back for one more year at those big numbers? Do they ask him to take a pay cut? Or do they release him and spend that money elsewhere?

Which of the Steelers' starters do they want to lock up for the long haul? Safety Troy Polamalu, guards Alan Faneca and Kendall Simmons, defensive end Aaron Smith, linebackers Porter and Clark Haggans and fullback Dan Kreider are entering the final year of their contracts in 2007. The time to do new deals is before next season. If the players are allowed to become free agents in '08, they'll likely be gone. Some team will overpay. Remember the Washington Redskins with Antwaan Randle El after last season? The Tennessee Titans with Chris Hope?

What positions do the Steelers target in the NFL draft? The team is not expected to be a big player in free agency, per franchise policy. Help has to come from the draft. Do you want depth on the offensive line, especially with center Jeff Hartings considering retiring? Or at cornerback, where Deshea Townsend is aging and Ike Taylor badly underachieved this season? Or how about outside linebacker, where Porter and Haggans had poor seasons?

The Porter issue will be the sexiest of the offseason. He wasn't happy with his contract this season and considered holding out before being talked out of it by then-coach Bill Cowher. "I definitely feel that I have outplayed the contract that I am under," Porter told the NFL Network at the time. "What I bring to the team ... it's not just me out there playing football. Me being the leader I am and the response I get from my team."

It's hard to imagine Porter agreeing to a pay cut. There's also no way the Steelers give him an extension with a big raise. He'll be 30 in March and his game is based on quickness. He was terrific down the stretch in 2005 -- virtually carrying the Steelers to the Super Bowl with 41/2 sacks in the final four regular-season games and three in the playoffs -- but he didn't have a sack in the final four games this season. His sack total dropped from 101/2 to seven.

Porter probably will be back next season only because the Steelers don't have much depth at his position. But don't be shocked if he's a salary-cap victim.

It's easy to say the Steelers should do new contracts with Polamalu, Faneca and Smith, much harder actually to pull it all off. Baltimore's Ed Reed set a high bar for safeties in the summer with a six-year, $40 million extension, which included a staggering $15 million signing bonus. Minnesota's Steve Hutchinson established a ridiculously high bar for guards after the 2005 season when he left Seattle as a free agent for a seven-year, $49 million deal, which included $16 million guaranteed. As for Smith, he's already pulling down big dollars; his contract calls for $4.5 million next season, a sizable number for a defensive end who is asked to play the run more than sack the quarterback.

The guess here is the Steelers won't be able to do extensions with all three. It will do what it has to do to keep Polamalu and take its best shots with Faneca and Smith. Hopefully, it will secure one or the other for the long term.

The Steelers should be able to keep Kreider. He'll come at a reasonable salary because there's not much demand for fullbacks in the NFL. Simmons, who lost his starting job for a couple of games this season to Chris Kemoeatu, and Haggans, who turns 30 tomorrow and saw his sacks total drop from nine in '05 to six this season, shouldn't be priorities.

Then, there's the draft.

When a team misses the playoffs, it clearly has needs. The Steelers must look hard at offensive linemen, especially if Hartings retires and it looks as if they can't do an extension with Faneca. It also should consider a cornerback unless it's convinced Taylor can snap out of the funk he sunk into virtually from the day last summer when he signed a $22.5 million contract that included a $6.4 million bonus. But the No. 1 need clearly is at outside linebacker. The defense wasn't nearly as strong this season without Porter and Haggans as serious pass-rushing threats. Picking a pass-rushing linebacker early could ease the sting of losing Porter and/or Haggans.

Memo to the new coach:

No need to say thanks for the free advice.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07009/752284-87.stm

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Any thoughts on whether it will be easier for an outsider rather than Whiz/Grimm to pull the trigger on letting Porter go if that drama unfolds?

As Cook states, 2007 should have basically the same roster as this year's team but 2008 is going to have some serious turnover for both cap and age reasons.

Rooneys are going to hire from within and in a lot of ways they are opening themselves up to the same arguments Detroit got when it hired Mariucci several years ago and other interviews were seen as a sham - Steelers have two candidiates and the Tomlin/Rivera interviews appear to be Rooney Rule window dressing.

tony hipchest
01-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Rooneys are going to hire from within and in a lot of ways they are opening themselves up to the same arguments Detroit got when it hired Mariucci several years ago and other interviews were seen as a sham - Steelers have two candidiates and the Tomlin/Rivera interviews appear to be Rooney Rule window dressing.i dont think it will be seen as a sham. from what i remember, detroit targeted and announced mooch was their guy before having any interviews.

im not sure when the rooney rule was instated, but in the last 15 years they have always been an organization that has groomed its coaches and promoted from within. if theyre not looking to shake up their system or overhaul personnel, it would seem the most qualified person for the job will be whiz or grimm.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-09-2007, 11:45 AM
i dont think it will be seen as a sham. from what i remember, detroit targeted and announced mooch was their guy before having any interviews.

im not sure when the rooney rule was instated, but in the last 15 years they have always been an organization that has groomed its coaches and promoted from within. if theyre not looking to shake up their system or overhaul personnel, it would seem the most qualified person for the job will be whiz or grimm.

I agree....and NOONE can claim that the Rooneys are not astute as to NFL politics...if needed ..they would just wait for one of those coaches to be hired by another team before making their announcement....thereby at least giving the impression that the "fish" got away.

I'm not saying that is what is going on...but just that no matter what...noone is going to paint the Ronneys into a corner

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2007, 12:36 PM
It's the old "do as I say, not as I do" argument - I am opposed to the Rooney Rule, but if I am the owner of another team and get any grief for hiring yet another white guy whom I regard as the best candidate, my response would be to check with the owner who has his name on the Rule and ask him how he balanced the best interests of his team against some amorphous league-wide goal of HC diversity.

louisvillecards
01-09-2007, 12:57 PM
I guess it wont be Bobby Petrino:dang:

jblawn
01-09-2007, 01:03 PM
We have two of the best coaches right here in the burg. Wisenhunt and Grimm lets keep it in the family!!!!

clevestinks
01-09-2007, 04:46 PM
The Steelers have not promoted one of their own assistants to head coach in nearly 42 years, or since Mike Nixon was given the job in 1965. Nixon lasted one year, going 2-12 with seven consecutive losses to end the season, and the next three hires were assistants from other teams: Bill Austin, Chuck Noll and Cowher.

However, the Rooneys appear convinced that big changes don't need to be made with a team that is less than a year removed from winning the Super Bowl and has a 34-14 record over the last three regular seasons. That's why the Steelers' choice could come down to which of their two assistants they believe is better suited to being an NFL head coach.

I`m really leaning towards Whiz! I`m not sure we should let him go. If we go from outside, all the coaches will change

Big D
01-10-2007, 09:09 AM
adam schefter of nfl network is reporting that the steelers have narrowed there choices to just Grimm and Whiz despite having an interview set up with vikings defensive coordinator mike tomlin. (who is actually my first choice) with grimm currently having a slight edge over whisenhunt(grimm is my second favorite choice)

DACEB
01-10-2007, 10:04 AM
I have not combed thru all these pages so I apologize if this has been brought up but I was wondering;

If we hire either Grimm or Whiz, do we lose the other? Which is more valuable?

If we hire Whiz, we still need to hire an offensive cord. to take his place. Who? Is it possible Grimm takes over at O.C.?

If we hire Grimm does Whiz stay on as O.C.?

If we hire from the outside do you think we lose everyone? (This is looking like it is unlikely that we hire from the outside.)

Do you think the Rooneys should stall (until other vacancies are filled, and there are a few)so that we do not lose the guys we have?

Does Laura marry Luke? Sorry!

Seriously, What do you guys think?

Any which way we are going to have some new blood in the coaching ranks with Hoak leaving also.

tony hipchest
01-10-2007, 10:11 AM
I have not combed thru all these pages so I apologize if this has been brought up but I was wondering;

If we hire either Grimm or Whiz, do we lose the other? Which is more valuable?

If we hire Whiz, we still need to hire an offensive cord. to take his place. Who? Is it possible Grimm takes over at O.C.?

If we hire Grimm does Whiz stay on as O.C.?

If we hire from the outside do you think we lose everyone? (This is looking like it is unlikely that we hire from the outside.)

Do you think the Rooneys should stall (until other vacancies are filled, and there are a few)so that we do not lose the guys we have?

Does Laura marry Luke? Sorry! Seriously, What do you guys think?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=13669&page=46

article posted this morning will answer all these questions and more.... next on guiding light.

DACEB
01-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks Tony, we now return to our scheduled programming.

clevestinks
01-10-2007, 04:48 PM
he hung out with Bill for a couple years, we know that. But is he really qaulified?

I didnt mean to get out of the Cowher replacement thread, but this is sort of different

VolatileMan
01-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Well he is/was the 'assisant head coach' wich is a higher level of assistant than Bill himself ever was before we gave him a shot.

The Rooneys really look hard at charactor (thats why you will never see a major premadonna like T. Owens playing for us) and they seem to be a decent judge of said charactor.

I honestly believe they will find a quality person to run this program, they will not make a knee-jerk reaction to any interviewee. They will find the right person at the right time and they will do it on thier own terms.

And we should start filling that second hand with rings!!

VolatileMan

fansince'76
01-10-2007, 05:35 PM
I think he's every bit as qualified as Cowher was about 15 years ago.

nicesteel4life
01-10-2007, 08:24 PM
I LOVE grim but also agree. He is a GREAT Assistant Coach and Line Coach but more and more I think I feel he is to much like us Fans. I mean that in a good sense. He tailgates every home game in the parking lot, before and after games. Head Coachs cant do that, seriously. I have sat with him and a few other players after the games and had a beer with him. He loves the entire lore of football and I think he trully would have to give up that type of HIS relaxation if he became HEAD coach.

clevestinks
01-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Well he is/was the 'assisant head coach' wich is a higher level of assistant than Bill himself ever was before we gave him a shot.

The Rooneys really look hard at charactor (thats why you will never see a major premadonna like T. Owens playing for us) and they seem to be a decent judge of said charactor.

I honestly believe they will find a quality person to run this program, they will not make a knee-jerk reaction to any interviewee. They will find the right person at the right time and they will do it on thier own terms.

And we should start filling that second hand with rings!!

VolatileMan

Bill coached alot longer though. And what is an assisstant HC anyway

Blitzburgh
01-10-2007, 10:37 PM
http://media.apn.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/019pope.JPG

As the black smoke continues to pour from the smokestack on the roof of the Steelers south side executive offices, the question remains .... who will be named the next holy great one?:jammin:

any guesses on when the white smoke may be seen and the successor named? :tt02:

http://bokertov.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/white_smoke_new_pope_1.jpg

My guess is that on Tuesday the 16th, Whiz takes on the holy name of Billchuck Nollher :helmet:

steelerbackr4life
01-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Im guessing Grim gets it with Whiz taking a promotion of assistant coach

brind666
01-11-2007, 03:03 AM
I definately prefer Grimm over Whiz, simply because I dont like the idea of throwing the ball more with the Whiz at HC. :-) I hope we can go back to the 60-40% running/throwing the football next season :-)

tony hipchest
01-11-2007, 10:37 AM
he hung out with Bill for a couple years, we know that. But is he really qaulified?

I didnt mean to get out of the Cowher replacement thread, but this is sort of different after reading this article on grimm, you will definitely think hes qualified

http://postgazette.com/pg/07011/752956-66.stm

Big D
01-11-2007, 12:31 PM
PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Steelers may be close to choosing Bill Cowher's successor.

With assistant coaches Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt the front-runners, the Steelers wrapped up their fourth interview in four days by meeting Wednesday with Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin. If the Steelers have any more interviews scheduled, they aren't saying.

Tomlin is 34, the same age Cowher was when the Steelers hired him in 1992. Tomlin is a decided long shot in Pittsburgh, but is one of the NFL's rising young coaches who also interviewed with the Miami Dolphins.

"I don't see myself as 34," Tomlin said. "I just see myself as a football coach."

The question now is whether the Steelers -- namely, president Art Rooney II and chairman Dan Rooney -- see Grimm or Whisenhunt as the better head coach. And it could be that both will be head coaches within a matter of days.

What the Steelers do may have a ripple effect across the NFL, where the Dolphins, Arizona Cardinals and Oakland Raiders also need a coach. The Cardinals may be waiting to see who the Steelers hire because they also interviewed Grimm and Whisenhunt, though they have another session with Houston Texans assistant head coach Mike Sherman on Thursday.

While Whisenhunt's offense has been productive and consistent since he became the offensive coordinator in 2004, Grimm has long been seen by the Steelers as a possible successor to Cowher. The offensive line coach added the title of assistant head coach when he was a finalist for the Bears' job three years ago.

Grimm has a strong personality and is respected by his players -- partly because few, if any, are likely to have the career he had. The former Washington Redskins guard is a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and owns four Super Bowl rings, three as a player and one as a Steelers assistant last year.

The Steelers also interviewed Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera on Sunday, but would have to wait until after the Bears' season ends to hire him. With the Steelers having two in-house choices attracting attention in other cities, that seems highly unlikely.

The Rooneys haven't signaled when they will hire a coach, though they may do so by Friday -- a week after Cowher resigned following 15 seasons.

Big D
01-11-2007, 12:32 PM
with all the articles i've read about the steelers coaching situation. I see the job going to russ grimm.

DACEB
01-11-2007, 12:46 PM
I would like to see Grimm get the job and hopefully Whiz stay on as O.C.

Big D
01-11-2007, 12:48 PM
I would like to see Grimm get the job and hopefully Whiz stay on as O.C.

I think you can expect whisenhunt to be back. Heres my opinion. I think Mike Sherman will end up with the cardinals job and the dolphins job will go to either Pete Carroll or Mike Mularkey

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2007, 01:29 PM
I think you can expect whisenhunt to be back. Heres my opinion. I think Mike Sherman will end up with the cardinals job and the dolphins job will go to either Pete Carroll or Mike Mularkey

Selecting Mularkey over Whiz would be further evidence of why the Dolphins franchise has been underperforming for a decade.

I agree it will be Grimm. With Jerry Jones desperately trying to convince Parcells to stay (so Jones can join the Giants in the Cowher Derby for 2008), if Whiz does not go to Miami I suppose he could hang around with the Steelers since alternatives are less likely to land him with a potential contender for 2007. However, if I was a new HC for another team I would attempt to get the owner to open up his wallet to lure Whiz away, while if I was Whiz my pride would make it difficult to hang around and work for someone who was seleted over me for the HC job if I had any options to go elsewhere.

OTOH, if Whiz is selected it seems as if Grimm may get the Arizona job.

So the idea of everyone staying in Pittsburgh regardless of who the new HC is does not seem probable to me.

Big D
01-11-2007, 01:32 PM
I know this is off topic. But I really believe that carroll could end up in miami. How many people thought that saban was going to stay?

tony hipchest
01-11-2007, 01:54 PM

I agree it will be Grimm. With Jerry Jones desperately trying to convince Parcells to stay (so Jones can join the Giants in the Cowher Derby for 2008)the nfc east derby will be an interresting one. it may take more than just cowhers salary to get him to chose one of the big 3.

i can just see d. snyder offering to shell out the bucks to reunite whiz and el, and over pay for cowhers favorite player peezy, and hire d. perry as d. coordinator to teach s. taylor the nuances of the 3-4 zone blitz.

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2007, 02:42 PM
the nfc east derby will be an interresting one. it may take more than just cowhers salary to get him to chose one of the big 3.

i can just see d. snyder offering to shell out the bucks to reunite whiz and el, and over pay for cowhers favorite player peezy, and hire d. perry as d. coordinator to teach s. taylor the nuances of the 3-4 zone blitz.

And buy a WNBA franchise so Cowher's daughters can play after college.

Big D
01-11-2007, 02:43 PM
And buy a WNBA franchise so Cowher's daughters can play after college.

he could reform the charlotte sting.

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2007, 02:51 PM
I know this is off topic. But I really believe that carroll could end up in miami. How many people thought that saban was going to stay?

I thought there was good chance Saban might leave for Bama, but being exposed to the moral swamp that is SEC football on a daily basis it is easier for me to recognize that there is no action that is too sleazy when it comes to the SEC than for those outside the South.

The difference beween Carroll and Saban is that Saban was failing at Miami and did not like the work hours expected in the NFL. OTOH Pete Carroll can win forever at USC and already has failed in the pros.

$$$ can always be a difference maker, but Carroll appears to know he has a great deal at Southern Cal. Going to Miami with what he already is making in LA is crazy; it is not as if Miami is that much better a lifestyle than LA (as opposed to moving from some place like Columbus or Knoxville to Miami)

Big D
01-11-2007, 02:53 PM
I thought there was good chance Saban might leave for Bama, but being exposed to the moral swamp that is SEC football on a daily basis it is easier for me to recognize that there is no action that is too sleazy when it comes to the SEC than for those outside the South.

The difference beween Carroll and Saban is that Saban was failing at Miami and did not like the work hours expected in the NFL. OTOH Pete Carroll can win forever at USC and already has failed in the pros.

$$$ can always be a difference maker, but Carroll appears to know he has a great deal at Southern Cal. Going to Miami with what he already is making in LA is crazy; it is not as if Miami is that much better a lifestyle than LA (as opposed to moving from some place like Columbus or Knoxville to Miami)

I meant would have stayed with lsu. I've heard wayne huizenga is an awesome salesman. And carroll would get complete control of the phins..

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Saban is to football coaching what Larry Brown is to NBA coaching - it is all about the $$$. Like a number of college and pro HCs, Saban would leave to coach a prison team if it paid more than his current job.

The combination of the $$ and "challenge" of the NFL made it impossible for LSU to keep Saban (I think Wayne Huezinga's biggest selling skill is the suitcase of cash he flashes at college HCs during the job interview).

Of course Saban is now NFL poison, so he can only leave Bama for another college gig.

Miami will pay more than SC; the question is Carroll's price point to leave.

Big D
01-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Saban is to football coaching what Larry Brown is to NBA coaching - it is all about the $$$. Like a number of college and pro HCs, Saban would leave to coach a prison team if it paid more than his current job.

The combination of the $$ and "challenge" of the NFL made it impossible for LSU to keep Saban (I think Wayne Huezinga's biggest selling skill was the suitcase of cash he flashed at Saban during the job interview). Of course Saban is now NFL poison, so he can only leave Bama for another college gig.

i think if carroll was offered 8 million a year he would jump at the dolphins job.

tony hipchest
01-11-2007, 03:01 PM
And buy a WNBA franchise so Cowher's daughters can play after college.:sofunny: and give kaye a job as the head coach? the funny thing is, that may not be to far fetched, as far as dan snyder is concerned. like big d said, we will have to keep our eye on the defunct charlotte franchise. if snyders name comes up... the writing could be on the wall. :chuckle:

Big D
01-11-2007, 03:05 PM
:sofunny: and give kaye a job as the head coach? the funny thing is, that may not be to far fetched, as far as dan snyder is concerned. like big d said, we will have to keep our eye on the defunct charlotte franchise. if snyders name comes up... the writing could be on the wall. :chuckle:

maybe you and I could be put on the staff some how tony? We could be shower assistants for the sting. Handing out towels to the ladies of the wnba wouldnt be such a bad gig.

tony hipchest
01-11-2007, 03:39 PM
maybe you and I could be put on the staff some how tony? We could be shower assistants for the sting. Handing out towels to the ladies of the wnba wouldnt be such a bad gig.i dont know, have you seen some of those girls? that might be about as prestigious as being a stable boy at the kentucky derby. we'd need car wash brushes and foaming soap to scrub them down. :chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2007, 05:00 PM
This disturbing story has been posted this afternoon

Steelers to interview former coordinator Gailey for coaching vacancy
Thursday, January 11, 2007

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers will reach back to one of their former offensive coordinators and interview Georgia Tech Coach Chan Gailey about becoming their next head coach, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Gailey, 55, will meet this weekend with team chairman Dan Rooney, president Art Rooney II and director of football operations Kevin Colbert about replacing Bill Cowher, who resigned last week after 15 seasons. Gailey will be the fifth and, apparently, final candidate to interview for the position.

The Steelers will begin paring their list of candidates next week and conduct second interviews with those who make the final cut. They have already interviewed four candidates: offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, offensive line coach Russ Grimm, Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin and Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

The Steelers have no immediate timetable to name a succesor to Cowher.

Gailey was the Steelers' offensive coordinator for two seasons, beginning in 1996, before leaving to become head coach of the Dallas Cowboys in 1998. He was with the Cowboys for two seasons before becoming head coach at Georgia Tech in 2002, where he compiled a record of 37-27.

Gailey's Georgia Tech teams annually cough up at least one terrible performance to an inferior team, have quit in other games, and in Reggie Ball had a QB for the last 4 seasons who became worse every year.

My only explanation is that Gailey will not drive a hard financial bargain. I cannot imagine a retread like Gailey to be a better candidate than Grimm or Whiz - if Grimm or Whiz receive an offer while the Steelers dither by interviewing Gailey I will be concerned about how this search is proceeding.

Big D
01-11-2007, 05:14 PM
This disturbing story has been posted this afternoon

Steelers to interview former coordinator Gailey for coaching vacancy
Thursday, January 11, 2007

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers will reach back to one of their former offensive coordinators and interview Georgia Tech Coach Chan Gailey about becoming their next head coach, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Gailey, 55, will meet this weekend with team chairman Dan Rooney, president Art Rooney II and director of football operations Kevin Colbert about replacing Bill Cowher, who resigned last week after 15 seasons. Gailey will be the fifth and, apparently, final candidate to interview for the position.

The Steelers will begin paring their list of candidates next week and conduct second interviews with those who make the final cut. They have already interviewed four candidates: offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, offensive line coach Russ Grimm, Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin and Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

The Steelers have no immediate timetable to name a succesor to Cowher.

Gailey was the Steelers' offensive coordinator for two seasons, beginning in 1996, before leaving to become head coach of the Dallas Cowboys in 1998. He was with the Cowboys for two seasons before becoming head coach at Georgia Tech in 2002, where he compiled a record of 37-27.

Gailey's Georgia Tech teams annually cough up at least one terrible performance to an inferior team, have quit in other games, and in Reggie Ball had a QB for the last 4 seasons who became worse every year.

My only explanation is that Gailey will not drive a hard financial bargain. I cannot imagine a retread like Gailey to be a better candidate than Grimm or Whiz - if Grimm or Whiz receive an offer while the Steelers dither by interviewing Gailey I will be concerned about how this search is proceeding.

thanks dan I just lost my lunch. Who's next in line Haslett?

Black@Gold Forever32
01-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Hey I just heard that Chan Gailey is going to be the fifth to interview to replace Bill Cowher. For those living in Pittsburgh can you find if theres any truth to this? I say hell no on Chan Gailey. He sucked as HC for the Cowboys.

tony hipchest
01-11-2007, 05:49 PM
My only explanation is that Gailey will not drive a hard financial bargain. I cannot imagine a retread like Gailey to be a better candidate than Grimm or Whiz - if Grimm or Whiz receive an offer while the Steelers dither by interviewing Gailey I will be concerned about how this search is proceeding.i hope this is just a negotiation ploy to drive down the price of the HC and possibly get whiz to stay as OC if grimm is the choice (can gailey be discussing a return as coordinator?). im now beginning to see why cowher would go out and buy a house (for a nice profit should he choose to quickly sell, i might add) for negotiation leverage.

but if this is how modern steelers negotiations are gonna go, im thinking ben and troy may not be the locks to stay i once thought they were.

Big D
01-11-2007, 06:51 PM
i hope this is just a negotiation ploy to drive down the price of the HC and possibly get whiz to stay as OC if grimm is the choice (can gailey be discussing a return as coordinator?). im now beginning to see why cowher would go out and buy a house (for a nice profit should he choose to quickly sell, i might add) for negotiation leverage.

but if this is how modern steelers negotiations are gonna go, im thinking ben and troy may not be the locks to stay i once thought they were.

I think this is nothing more then a courtesy interview.

tony hipchest
01-11-2007, 06:55 PM
I think this is nothing more then a courtesy interview.why would they give a courtesy interview? hell, if they wanna save money on a head coach, they should just give me an interview. shit, give me the job, if saving a few bucks is a concern. i could save them tons of cash.

i think bringing in gailey was a negotiation ploy to tell whiz, "if you dont wanna hang around and be offensive coordinator, hit the road. we got your replacement waiting".

i hope im wrong.

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2007, 07:05 PM
I think this is nothing more then a courtesy interview.

What courtesy? Is Dan Rooney the godfather of Gailey's child?

Gailey left for Dallas (despite Cowher's advice it was a viper's nest) 10 years ago, after which he has since been with the Dolphins and then out of the league pursuing a checkered tenure at Georgia Tech for the last 4 years. If "courtesy" is the watchword, maybe we should also intervew Capers, Mularkey, Haslett, Ray Sherman, Tim Lewis and Kevin Gilbride.

Miami did a courtesy interview of Gailey at the start of its interview process and correctly moved on to legitimate candidiates immediately. Any courtesy interview would have been last weekend.

If they are doing a check on the reputations of Whiz or Grimm, they can check with someone who has not been out of the league since 2001. This appears to be a tactic to squeeze Whiz or Grimm on salary that could backfire; the alternative possibility that Gailey is a serious HC candidiate is too horrible to contemplate. Neither alternative is a good one.

tony hipchest
01-11-2007, 07:05 PM
if Grimm or Whiz receive an offer while the Steelers dither by interviewing Gailey I will be concerned about how this search is proceeding.and suprisingly the nfl network reports whiz is headed back to arizona for a 2nd interview tomorrow.

keep in mind cardinal players are actually conducting interviews of the potential head coaches themselves. you dont think they want a proven winner?

If they are doing a check on the reputations of Whiz or Grimm, they can check with someone who has not been out of the league since 2001. This appears to be a tactic to squeeze Whiz or Grimm on salary that could backfire; the alternative possibility that Gailey is a serious HC candidiate is too horrible to contemplate. Neither alternative is a good one. i couldnt agree more. maybe dan rooney should take the keys to the car away before... well i dont wanna say it (actually i already have).

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2007, 07:08 PM
why would they give a courtesy interview? hell, if they wanna save money on a head coach, they should just give me an interview. shit, give me the job, if saving a few bucks is a concern. i could save them tons of cash.

i think bringing in gailey was a negotiation ploy to tell whiz, "if you dont wanna hang around and be offensive coordinator, hit the road. we got your replacement waiting".

i hope im wrong.

I think it is to squeeze the HC candidiate on salary. Gailey could be canned after next season at Georgia Tech, but leaving a HC job to become a coordinator in the NFL would be downward mobility.

IMHO if Grimm gets the HC job and Whiz wants to leave he could land in Miami or be the Giants OC (where he can wait to rejoin Cowher in 2008?)

tony hipchest
01-11-2007, 07:16 PM
I think it is to squeeze the HC candidiate on salary. Gailey could be canned after next season at Georgia Tech, but leaving a HC job to become a coordinator in the NFL would be downward mobility.

IMHO if Grimm gets the HC job and Whiz wants to leave he could land in Miami or be the Giants OC (where he can wait to rejoin Cowher in 2008?)if i were the giants i would take whiz over gilbride in a heartbeat. steelers have gone down both roads. there is still the parcells decision looming too. im sure whiz wouldnt mind trying make chicken salad out of the chicken shit named t.o. (especially if it put an extra mil or 2 in his pocket)

of course whiz in dallas this year is a longshot, but if i were him i would contact darren perry for a coordinator position

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2007, 07:29 PM
This from the ESPN article on the Gailey interview.

Cowher apparently recommended Gailey to his former bosses as a possible candidate.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2728176

This is very odd.

SteelCzar76
01-11-2007, 08:14 PM
This from the ESPN article on the Gailey interview.

Cowher apparently recommended Gailey to his former bosses as a possible candidate.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2728176

This is very odd.

The thought of Gailey being head Coach is absoloutley absurd to me. How can the Rooney's be serious ? I know he was close with coach Cowher,......but c'mon,... "Knock it off".

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

tony hipchest
01-11-2007, 08:36 PM
This is very odd.very odd indeed. is this a case of sly gamesmanship, like j. jones and d. snyder recommending c. casserly to the giants, OR is cowher endorsing gailey OVER grimm and whiz????

Black@Gold Forever32
01-11-2007, 08:50 PM
I just don't understand why Chan Gailey is being interviewed. I usually trust the Rooneys but this leaves me scratching my head.

I want Whiz or Tomlin.

SteelCzar76
01-11-2007, 08:51 PM
very odd indeed. is this a case of sly gamesmanship, like j. jones and d. snyder recommending c. casserly to the giants, OR is cowher endorsing gailey OVER grimm and whiz????

I hoping it's just a "leverage" interview in regards to the others Tone. I just can't see how the Rooney's would seriously consider him (Gailey) over Whiz, Grimm or Tomlin. ????:jawdrop:

SteelCzar76
01-11-2007, 08:59 PM
I just don't understand why Chan Gailey is being interviewed. I usually trust the Rooneys but this leaves me scratching my head.

I want Whiz or Tomlin.

I agree. Though i'm leaning towards Tomlin with retaining Coach Lebeau as a condition of the Job.(But i could very well live with Whiz.)
But,......Chan Gailey ? :pissed:

tony hipchest
01-11-2007, 09:02 PM
I hoping it's just a "leverage" interview in regards to the others Tone. I just can't see how the Rooney's would seriously consider him (Gailey) over Whiz, Grimm or Tomlin. ????:jawdrop:

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"maybe they (he) are (is) taking robert krafts approach, and is willing to kick anyone to the curb and take the cheapest candidate, secure in that they can win with anyone.

it seems as if art II is gonna be no nonsense as far as his employees asking for "market value" is concerned.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-11-2007, 09:05 PM
I agree. Though i'm leaning towards Tomlin with retaining Coach Lebeau as a condition of the Job.(But i could very well live with Whiz.)
But,......Chan Gailey ? :pissed:

I like Tomlin but he would have to keep LeBeau as DC and keep the 3-4 scheme. I would be worried that Tomlin might switch to the 4-3/cover2. It would take years to get the right players in place to run that defense.

Blitzburgh
01-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Rooney's are going to fiddle flip around bringing Gailey in this weekend and lose out on Whiz who is in the final round for the Arizona job tomorrow.

WTF?

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2007, 09:49 PM
All you need to know about Chan Gailey's coaching skills is summed in this excerpt from a CBS Sportline column on bowl season winners and losers:

Losers

Georgia Tech quarterback Reggie Ball: Bad quarterback, bad student (flunked out in December), bad character. When sophomore Taylor Bennett threw for 326 yards and three touchdowns against West Virginia in the Gator Bowl, Jackets fans were asking, "Where has this guy been?"

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9923743

Gailey made a total hash of handling the QB position at Georgia Tech over the last several years. And this is the guy to come in and straighten Ben out?

The more I think about it the more I find the most disturbing part of this story is Cowher allegedly recommending an assistant who bolted for Dallas 10 years ago for a job two of his current assistants are seeking. Further evidence Cowher may not be quite the straight shooting "Pittsburgh guy" that the media has portrayed over the years.

stillers4me
01-11-2007, 09:54 PM
After readin about this guy, it does have me scratching my head........I don't know anything about him than what I've read. Does he by chance fill the bill for the minority candidate, or am I way off base here? I thought Rivera filled that one.

Speaking of minority candidates, I don't see them interviewing any women for the job.......:nana:

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Since we are interviewing alums, maybe we should call in Tim Lewis as well. Of course, I doubt he will get a recommendation from Cowher.

Coughlin Fires His Defensive Coordinator

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/12/sports/football/12giants.html

fansince'76
01-11-2007, 09:58 PM
maybe they (he) are (is) taking robert krafts approach, and is willing to kick anyone to the curb and take the cheapest candidate, secure in that they can win with anyone.

If that is the mindset, I don't understand it. It was a long 26-year dry spell between SB wins - I don't want to experience another.

tony hipchest
01-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Rooney's are going to fiddle flip around bringing Gailey in this weekend and lose out on Whiz who is in the final round for the Arizona job tomorrow.

WTF?theyre politely trying to tell him theres greener pastures out there. i think theyve settled on grimm and dont wanna rob whiz of a THIRD head coaching opportunity by chasing a pipe dream (or a raise).

tony hipchest
01-11-2007, 10:02 PM
After readin about this guy, it does have me scratching my head........I don't know anything about him than what I've read. Does he by chance fill the bill for the minority candidate, or am I way off base here? I thought Rivera filled that one.

Speaking of minority candidates, I don't see them interviewing any women for the job.......:nana:dude is as white as a saltine and the steelers already employ the only woman trainer in the nfl.

stillers4me
01-11-2007, 10:04 PM
dude is as white as a saltine and the steelers already employ the only woman trainer in the nfl.

Thanks for the info......and I did not know that about the woman trainer..........very cool!!! :thumbsup:

SteelCzar76
01-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Since we are interviewing alums, maybe we should call in Tim Lewis as well. Of course, I doubt he will get a recommendation from Cowher.

Coughlin Fires His Defensive Coordinator

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/12/sports/football/12giants.html

Please let's not even speak this idea into existence in any form. LOL

"Hail Caesar,.....HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

tony hipchest
01-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the info......and I did not know that about the woman trainer..........very cool!!! :thumbsup:she is also asian so she meets the minority hiring practices on 2 different levels. other than an owner, i believe she is the highest positioned woman on any team. she has had the job for atleast 4-5 years. there was a great article several years back talking to the players about having a female trainer. of course there were the typical jokes of her not being allowed into the locker room or shower area. most players didnt really look at her any differently than a male trainer. the consensus was she is very good at her job.

augustashark
01-12-2007, 03:29 AM

I want Whiz or Tomlin.

This leaves me scratching my head also.

augustashark
01-12-2007, 03:39 AM
All you need to know about Chan Gailey's coaching skills is summed in this excerpt from a CBS Sportline column on bowl season winners and losers:

Losers

Georgia Tech quarterback Reggie Ball: Bad quarterback, bad student (flunked out in December), bad character. When sophomore Taylor Bennett threw for 326 yards and three touchdowns against West Virginia in the Gator Bowl, Jackets fans were asking, "Where has this guy been?"

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9923743

Gailey made a total hash of handling the QB position at Georgia Tech over the last several years. And this is the guy to come in and straighten Ben out?

The more I think about it the more I find the most disturbing part of this story is Cowher allegedly recommending an assistant who bolted for Dallas 10 years ago for a job two of his current assistants are seeking. Further evidence Cowher may not be quite the straight shooting "Pittsburgh guy" that the media has portrayed over the years.

Why are you so hung up on him going to Dallas? Give the guy a break, he wanted to be a head coach and there was a spot open so he took it. I don't see where this should make you upset. Would you never leave your current employment for a chance in a life time position?

I think most of us would jump at the chance to better our familys lives and to financialy set up our children so they can have the better things in life.

I don't want him as HC either, but lay off the " how dare he jump ship and take a promotion" attitude.

Grimm for HC!

stillers4me
01-12-2007, 06:42 AM
she is also asian so she meets the minority hiring practices on 2 different levels. other than an owner, i believe she is the highest positioned woman on any team. she has had the job for atleast 4-5 years. there was a great article several years back talking to the players about having a female trainer. of course there were the typical jokes of her not being allowed into the locker room or shower area. most players didnt really look at her any differently than a male trainer. the consensus was she is very good at her job.

Thanks, Tony! One of theses days I'll try to find some info on her......talented AND lucky lady!! :sofunny:

Seth88101
01-12-2007, 07:54 AM
Tomlin for Pittsburgh HC, Cowher for President in 2008!

That's right, Cowher for President!

Atlanta Dan
01-12-2007, 08:09 AM
Why are you so hung up on him going to Dallas? Give the guy a break, he wanted to be a head coach and there was a spot open so he took it. I don't see where this should make you upset. Would you never leave your current employment for a chance in a life time position?

I think most of us would jump at the chance to better our familys lives and to financialy set up our children so they can have the better things in life.

I don't want him as HC either, but lay off the " how dare he jump ship and take a promotion" attitude.

Grimm for HC!

I do not care if he went to Dallas, Georgia Tech, or the Dillon Panthers to coach after he left the Steelers and have not in any post stated anything to the effect "how dare he have left the Steelers?" - if you have read many of my posts you will know I am fairly unsentimental about pro sports being a cold blooded business.

My point is he left the organization 10 years ago (for a job members of the organization allegedly recommended he not take), was fired in Dallas, and (if your screen name is an indication you are familair with Georgia sports) is someone you may know to be regarded by a significant number of Georgia Tech alums to be a coach they would love to have leave so they do not need to buy out his contract (OTOH UGA alums hope he coaches Georgia Tech for the next 20 years).

So he does not appear to have strong or recent ties to the organization, is not regarded as any red hot HC prospect,and is in his mid-50s (not exactly the age bracket for Noll, Cowher or, for that matter, most HCs at the time of hiring). So why interview him?

Atlanta sports talk is not particularly fixated on the Steelers, but this morning, the reaction by one of the hosts to the Gailey interview was simply "what in the world is going on with the Pittsburgh Steelers?

Getting back to my point - it is business decision. IMHO delaying the hiring decision to interview a retread like Gailey is a bad business decision.

Buzz05
01-12-2007, 08:12 AM
Gailey???.......WTF????

Atlanta Dan
01-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Trib-Review believes Whiz going back for a second interview with Arizona indicates the Steelers have settled on Grimm over Whiz as the in-house favorite.

Chan Gailey is coming to Heinz Field, and Ken Whisenhunt is heading back to Arizona, a development which NFL sources believe has made Russ Grimm the leading in-house candidate to succeed Bill Cowher as Steelers coach.

Whisenhunt, the Steelers offensive coordinator, will have a second interview today with the Cardinals, who are seeking a replacement for Dennis Green. The visit has fueled talk that the Steelers prefer Grimm over Whisenhunt.

If the Steelers had wanted to hire Whisenhunt, sources speculated, it is unlikely they would have let him go back to Arizona without offering him a contract.

Should Grimm succeed Cowher and Whisenhunt wind up in Arizona, it's likely that Steelers wide receivers coach Bruce Arians would be elevated to offensive coordinator.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_488230.html

DACEB
01-12-2007, 08:31 AM
I agree with everyone about Gailey, hell no. But what is the rush, don't we want the best candidate. As many have stated before, maybe the best candidate is not on our staff, Reviera, Tomlin. I also believe we should take our time because both Grimm and Whiz have stated they want to stay in Pitt. and will wait to see what the Rooneys decide. The other teams may have hired coaches by then and we keep all our guys. Besides where would you rather coach, in Pitt. or Arizona, or Oakland or for that matter Miami considering thier current state of affairs?

Let's all just slow down and trust the Rooneys, they have after all built this organization into what it is and what we all love and admire.

Atlanta Dan
01-12-2007, 08:42 AM
I agree with everyone about Gailey, hell no. But what is the rush, don't we want the best candidate. As many have stated before, maybe the best candidate is not on our staff, Reviera, Tomlin. I also believe we should take our time because both Grimm and Whiz have stated they want to stay in Pitt. and will wait to see what the Rooneys decide. The other teams may have hired coaches by then and we keep all our guys. Besides where would you rather coach, in Pitt. or Arizona, or Oakland or for that matter Miami considering thier current state of affairs?

Let's all just slow down and trust the Rooneys, they have after all built this organization into what it is and what we all love and admire.

If someone offered you more money than you probablky would receive even if you were offered your "dream job" and there was no guarantee you would get your "dream job" would you turn down that bird in the hand and simply hope you got the job you really wanted? Waiting to be asked and levaing other prospects hanging can result in being left with no offers at all.

I am not as confident as some other posters on this board that Whiz and Grimm will just wait by the phone to accept whatever salary offer the Rooneys deem to be appropriate and tell all other franchises to wait until the Rooneys make up their mind. Both sides can use leverage in negotiations.

Big D
01-12-2007, 10:01 AM
why would they give a courtesy interview? hell, if they wanna save money on a head coach, they should just give me an interview. shit, give me the job, if saving a few bucks is a concern. i could save them tons of cash.

i hope im wrong.

Maybe because God Cowher asked the rooneys to at least give him an interview. Why else would they want to interview this guy. Next thing you know we are going to interview Dom Capers, Mike Mularkey and Jim Haslett.

Buzz05
01-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Personally I would rather see the Whiz get the job. He has the relationship with Ben as the O-Coord. and could play to his strengths. I think the Rooney's are wasting time interviewing Gailey. He isnt going to get the job, and if Cowher asked for him to be interviewed big whoop. He isnt the coach anymore so why should we be listening to him.Grimm is a good coach no argument. He would be good anywhere. But I just think Whiz fits the team concept. Power running game, good defense.

tony hipchest
01-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Let's all just slow down and trust the Rooneys, they have after all built this organization into what it is and what we all love and admire.the superbowl winning coaching staff they have built is now being dismantled it seems. do we blindly give art II the same amount of trust that was given to the cheif and dan rooney?

im a little sour how the whole cowher ordeal went down and this current coach search has me scratching my head. it has me wondering how player contract negotiations are gonna go in the next year or 2. is every player gonna have to take a hometown discount for their failures this year and for the privilage of plying for the rooneys? will it be like pulling teeth to get market value? will saving money be more important than winning?

Big D
01-12-2007, 10:29 AM
the superbowl winning coaching staff they have built is now being dismantled it seems. do we blindly give art II the same amount of trust that was given to the cheif and dan rooney?

im a little sour how the whole cowher ordeal went down and this current coach search has me scratching my head. it has me wondering how player contract negotiations are gonna go in the next year or 2. is every player gonna have to take a hometown discount for their failures this year and for the privilage of plying for the rooneys? will it be like pulling teeth to get market value? will saving money be more important than winning?

You almost have to wonder if the rooneys are going to start using the patriots "model" of running a franchise. I think one of the key differences is they will be putting up the bucks for bb

tony hipchest
01-12-2007, 10:35 AM
You almost have to wonder if the rooneys are going to start using the patriots "model" of running a franchise. I think one of the key differences is they will be putting up the bucks for bbexactly. its like a dog chasing its tail. why try to re-invent the wheel that your franchise has ALREADY invented? the patriots have been using the steelers model and pioli, belichick, and brady make up the hub. cowher has been treated like a spoke (like a. vinatieri or d. branch). of course its a business but my main concern isnt the bottom line in the books or what profit margins are. my main concern is wins on sundays.

Buzz05
01-12-2007, 10:45 AM
my main concern is wins on sundays.

As is mine.

I duno..I just dont have a good feeling about this. At all.

Big D
01-12-2007, 10:46 AM
exactly. its like a dog chasing its tail. why try to re-invent the wheel that your franchise has ALREADY invented? the patriots have been using the steelers model and pioli, belichick, and brady make up the hub. cowher has been treated like a spoke (like a. vinatieri or d. branch). of course its a business but my main concern isnt the bottom line in the books or what profit margins are. my main concern is wins on sundays.

Makes you wonder. When ben's contract is up if they will let him walk for Gino Toretto. Will the steelers let troy walk for former Dallas Cowboy Larry Brown?

Buzz05
01-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Makes you wonder. When ben's contract is up if they will let him walk for Gino Toretto. Will the steelers let troy walk for former Dallas Cowboy Larry Brown?

I just got the shivers down my spine

Big D
01-12-2007, 10:52 AM
I just got the shivers down my spine

My point is this. I dont want the rooneys to acting like jerry jones or daniel snyder. I just want them to keep what makes this team succesful intact. If Gailey is hired I think that would be a slap in the face.

Buzz05
01-12-2007, 10:55 AM
If Gailey is hired it would be safe to say that we would be the laughing stock of the league next year...All we can do is hope the Rooney's make the right decision.

Big D
01-12-2007, 10:56 AM
If Gailey is hired it would be safe to say that we would be the laughing stock of the league next year...All we can do is hope the Rooney's make the right decision.

no we wouldnt be the laughing stock. We can thank the raiders for keeping the attention off of us.

Buzz05
01-12-2007, 10:57 AM
no we wouldnt be the laughing stock. We can thank the raiders for keeping the attention off of us.

touche

DACEB
01-12-2007, 12:43 PM
You all bring up good points, but the Steelers have been doing this for years. The Patriots follow our "model". Penn St. is LB U, well we are the equivalent in the pros, we raise them up and then another team signs them for big money. You can only hope that a player does not try to hold you hostage into paying big bucks. This is after all a TEAM game and a player that wants to win championships must realize this. Look at the Colts and Mannings contract, doesn't leave much room for much else (just an example). Then look at Brady in N.E., he understands the team concept and is willing to get payed as such. Hopefully Troy and Ben and others understand thsat concept also (I mean how many $$$$millions do you need). I do concede this does not apply to coaches, but I don't believe this was all about money for Cohwer either. I still say trust the Rooneys and the FO to do the right thing, and I don't believe and hope like you all that Gailey will be our next coach.

Atlanta Dan
01-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Post-Heinz Field the Steelers actually have not suffered what seemed to be the constant loss of top shelf FAs they experienced in the mid-90s. Of course that involves its own downside by overpaying for marginal talents (Scott/Washington/(and Taylor?)).

That illustrates that Dan Rooney adapted, through both front office changes (firing Donohoe, who was a harball negotiator on FA contracts) and opening up his wallet.

The concern is with AJR II at the helm which aspects of the Rooney Way other than strict fiscal responsibiity AJR II may be adopting from his dad.

Big D
01-12-2007, 01:11 PM
I just dont want Gailey. I want to hire a young guy that will stay for 10-15 years

Atlanta Dan
01-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Not that we need more reasons not to hire Gailey, but ESPN Sports Guy Bill Simmons has a good column today on NFL coaching being a younger man's game with this observation:

If the coach of your favorite team is older than 55, or if your team is about to hire someone who's older than 55, there's a good chance you should start preparing for a frustrating stretch of football.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070112

Chan Gailey is 55.

I look forward to the true story behind this interview being scheduled.

Big D
01-12-2007, 04:14 PM
more stuff on gailey.

In response to our item questioning the sanity of Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey for allowing his name to be publicly tied to interviews with the Fins and the Steelers as he tries to convert those verbal commitments from Yellow Jacket recruits to written ones, an industry source tells us that Gailey was "very disappointed" by the fact that the news got out -- and that the information came straight from the Steelers front office.

So why would the normally tight-lipped Rooneys allow this information to become public? One possibility is that Gailey isn't a genuine candidate for the job, but that the organization is bringing in more people to counter the unusual leverage that has arisen from the fact that in-house favorites Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt have the same agent.

And there are signs that their agent, Eric Metz, could be advising them jointly on strategies for ensuring that one of them gets the job. For example, a report earlier this week from Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette indicated that Grimm and Whisenhunt separately were saying privately that if one of them gets the head-coaching job, the other will stay on the staff.

It also suggests that the interviews of Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin were not as solid as they needed to be to make either of them better candidates than Whisenhunt and Grimm.

Meanwhile, another industry source tells us that Gailey isn't as big of a long shot for the Dolphins' job as most might believe. The source believes that Gailey will be among the five finalists for the job, and could get it.

Atlanta Dan
01-12-2007, 04:21 PM
A new example to document the ethics (or lack thereof) of agents!!

Of course, why 2 assistants from the same team who both want to be HCs would have the same agent is beyond me. The agent has an unavoidable conflict (its like representing 2 clients in the same trial) but Whiz & Grimm should never have let this situation occur if only because I would want to know which client my agent is putting first in negotiations with the same prospective employer.

tony hipchest
01-12-2007, 04:21 PM
utterly embarassing if the rooneys are actually haggling to pay the least, in a bidding war with the bidwells of arizona. over 2 coaches!

this is the antithesis of what will be going on for cowher next year. (if it is the case)

Big D
01-12-2007, 04:24 PM
I think this whole Gailey,Whisenhunt and Grimm soapopera is why the other nfl teams are holding off on naming there next head coach. It's like the cardinals and steelers are playing nothing more then a game of go fish.

tony hipchest
01-12-2007, 04:29 PM
I think this whole Gailey,Whisenhunt and Grimm soapopera is why the other nfl teams are holding off on naming there next head coach. It's like the cardinals and steelers are playing nothing more then a game of go fish.its like watching 2 old ladies haggle for a $5 dress at a garage sell. just give up an extra buck and close the deal dammit. like its not enough to save 4 million on their head coach next year (by not resigning cowher). they got to save 4.5 mil. :dang:

Big D
01-12-2007, 04:30 PM
its like watching 2 old ladies haggle for a $5 dress at a garage sell. just give up an extra buck and close the deal dammit.

I dont want our steelers to be mentioned under the same breath as the bidwells. I'm not suggesting paying a first time head coach 4 million a year. But something has to be done. I think if Grimm and Whisenhunt didnt have the same agent something could be done as well.

tony hipchest
01-12-2007, 04:47 PM
I dont want our steelers to be mentioned under the same breath as the bidwells. I'm not suggesting paying a first time head coach 4 million a year. But something has to be done. I think if Grimm and Whisenhunt didnt have the same agent something could be done as well.
the steelers are playing a game of chicken. a classic "who blinks 1st match". maybe they do think keeping whiz vs. grimm is a flip of the coin, but if they do have a favorite, they dont seem to worried about settling for 2nd best if "outbid" by the cheap assed bidwells. (now theres an oxymoron if i ever heard one)

in the meantime whiz probably pissed away an excellent opportunity in atlanta by keeping a. blank on ice and giving the rooney(s) an opportunity to make a fair market offer. blank gave a college coach 5 mil. whiz probably wouldve taken 3. the rooney(s) are probably only offering 2 MAX (look at lovie smiths deal). the stealers are concerned with a bargain deal like what the bears got.

Big D
01-12-2007, 04:52 PM
the steelers are playing a game of chicken. a classic "who blinks 1st match". maybe they do think keeping whiz vs. grimm is a flip of the coin, but if they do have a favorite, they dont seem to worried about settling for 2nd best if "outbid" by the cheap assed bidwells. (now theres an oxymoron if i ever heard one)

in the meantime whiz probably pissed away an excellent opportunity in atlanta by keeping a. blank on ice and giving the rooney(s) an opportunity to make a fair market offer. blank gave a college coach 5 mil. whiz probably wouldve taken 3. the rooney(s) are probably only offering 2 MAX (look at lovie smiths deal). the stealers are concerned with a bargain deal like what the bears got.

Chances are these canidates are still availabe. Rich Kotite former head coach of the jets and eagles, Bruce Coslet former bengal head coach as well as the head coach from the waterboy. You can find other coaches sitting on sale by the bluelight at kmart.

BringthePressure20
01-12-2007, 08:34 PM
I Was listening to ESPN radio 1250 on the way home and mike golic said the steelers most likely are delaying time to maybe see if the colts lose and maybe get a shot at dungy because he claimed the steelers really like dungy.

OneForTheToe
01-12-2007, 08:42 PM
I don't necessarily believe ...... but I would rather have Tony over Chan. I think Tony would succeed here because he could return to his roots - defense.

Of course, I still prefer to keep our present D coordinator.

Just wanted to add, that I doubt the stillers would want to match the salary that someone with Tony's experience would demand.

Borski
01-12-2007, 08:48 PM
I would like Dungy, hes a former player but I doubt this has any real creditability

btw just a random fact I remeber
Dungy was the only player ever to catch an Interception and throw an Interception in the same game.

Atlanta Dan
01-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Forget Dungy - my understanding is that with Gailey clearly being interested in coming to the NFL, Kraft has contacted Chan and told him not to accept any offers from the Steelers or Dolphins, since the Pats will be firing Belichek after this season (even if the Pats win the Super Bowl) in order to have the once in a lifetime opportunity to hire Chan Gailey.

So at this point, with Belichek about to be fired, it sounds like Dungy and Belichek are the frontrunners for the Steelers job.

ChronoCross
01-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Dungy is lopsided on how he builds a team. The problem is Dungy ether goes for all defense our goes all offense as shown in his career. The teams are ether high ranked on defense and low rank on offense are high ranked on offense and low rank on defense. There is no balance to Dungy coaching. Would be a waste and I would not want him. He has had Tampa highly ranked on Defense and turn around destroyed the defense and went all offense. Dungy does not know how to put together a balanced team.

tony hipchest
01-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Forget Dungy - my understanding is that with Gailey clearly being interested in coming to the NFL, Kraft has contacted Chan and told him not to accept any offers from the Steelers or Dolphins, since the Pats will be firing Belichek after this season (even if the Pats win the Super Bowl) in order to have the once in a lifetime opportunity to hire Chan Gailey.

So at this point, with Belichek about to be fired, it sounds like Dungy and Belichek are the frontrunners for the Steelers job.:rofl:

hmmmm. "nice guy" dungy or "prick" belichick? definitely a tough one. i'll get back with ya!

Stlrs4Life
01-12-2007, 09:56 PM
I would like Dungy, hes a former player but I doubt this has any real creditability

btw just a random fact I remeber
Dungy was the only player ever to catch an Interception and throw an Interception in the same game.

Exactly. I would take Dungy also. But I would definatly keep LeBeau with him.

Stlrs4Life
01-12-2007, 10:01 PM
more stuff on gailey.

In response to our item questioning the sanity of Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey for allowing his name to be publicly tied to interviews with the Fins and the Steelers as he tries to convert those verbal commitments from Yellow Jacket recruits to written ones, an industry source tells us that Gailey was "very disappointed" by the fact that the news got out -- and that the information came straight from the Steelers front office.

So why would the normally tight-lipped Rooneys allow this information to become public? One possibility is that Gailey isn't a genuine candidate for the job, but that the organization is bringing in more people to counter the unusual leverage that has arisen from the fact that in-house favorites Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt have the same agent.

And there are signs that their agent, Eric Metz, could be advising them jointly on strategies for ensuring that one of them gets the job. For example, a report earlier this week from Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette indicated that Grimm and Whisenhunt separately were saying privately that if one of them gets the head-coaching job, the other will stay on the staff.

It also suggests that the interviews of Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin were not as solid as they needed to be to make either of them better candidates than Whisenhunt and Grimm.

Meanwhile, another industry source tells us that Gailey isn't as big of a long shot for the Dolphins' job as most might believe. The source believes that Gailey will be among the five finalists for the job, and could get it.

Very interesting!

PAMillerGrrl83
01-12-2007, 11:39 PM
I think Dungy will stick with Manning and the Colts.

Preacher
01-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Honestly, I think whoever said that was really looking to just say something different then everyone else. I REALLY doubt that there is ANY truth to that.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-13-2007, 12:10 AM
ENOUGH ALREADY....'

Former Packers boss may be on list
Whisenhunt might get offer from Cardinals

Saturday, January 13, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Chan Gailey might not be the final candidate for the Steelers' head-coaching job when he talks to team officials today at their UPMC offices on the South Side.

The Steelers have made recent inquiries about former Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman, and they were trying to reach him the past two days. Sherman, the assistant head coach/offense for the Houston Texans, was en route from a second interview he had in Arizona Thursday for the Cardinals' head-coaching job.

Yesterday, the Cardinals gave Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt his second interview in Arizona. He will stay in Arizona another day at the Cardinals' request to consider a possible job offer.

If the Steelers talk to Sherman, 52, he would be the sixth known candidate for the job that came open when Bill Cowher quit Jan. 5 and the second to be contacted after a first round of four interviews occurred last week.

Sherman compiled a 59-43 record as coach of the Packers from 2000-05. His teams had winning records in his first five seasons, winning three division championships and making the playoffs four times. Sherman's Packers came within an overtime loss at Philadelphia after the 2003 season of reaching the NFC championship game.

The entrance of Gailey, 55, and possibly Sherman into the mix alters the picture of what the Steelers intend to do about their most important job opening. It was long regarded as a two-horse race between Steelers assistant coaches Russ Grimm and Whisenhunt. Both men were interviewed this past week on separate days for three hours apiece, as were Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported that Tomlin will get a second interview in Miami.

The Steelers apparently have not dismissed any of their candidates from consideration. Thursday, Steelers president Art Rooney had a long conversation with Eagles head coach Andy Reid about Rivera, who coached under Reid with the Eagles from 1999-2003.

Grimm also was interviewed in Arizona, and Whisenhunt also interviewed with Atlanta and Miami and remains a candidate for the Dolphins' job as well as the Cardinals'.

Whisenhunt has said the Steelers' job would be his No. 1 choice -- a possible reason he was not offered the job in his hometown of Atlanta -- but Dan and Art Rooney have not given him or Grimm guarantees that either is their top choice. If the Cardinals were to make Whisenhunt an offer after his second interview, it would leave him with a difficult choice -- take the bird in hand or turn it down and gamble he will get the Steelers' job.

It could be that the Steelers are merely hedging their bets by talking to Gailey and Sherman or investigating to see if, perhaps, there isn't a better candidate outside their organization. Gailey remains a candidate in Miami and Sherman in Arizona.

Gailey is the head coach at Georgia Tech and was a wide receivers coach and offensive coordinator with the Steelers from 1994-97 before the Dallas Cowboys hired him as their head coach in 1998. He coached the Cowboys to the playoffs in both of his seasons as their coach, but was fired after an 18-14 record and losses in their first playoff game each year.

All Steelers assistant coaches are under contract through at least 2007. That was seen as a positive for either Grimm or Whisenhunt if either became their head coach. The Steelers, however, traditionally let their new coach hire his own staff and, if a candidate from outside is hired, he might have an entirely different view of the assistants he wants to hire.

tony hipchest
01-13-2007, 01:10 AM
when is jim fassel due to interview?

the steelers better quit acting like theyre looking for the cheapest suitor or they may just land him.

ive never seen a champion calibur franchise handle their coaching position like this. all for what? to save half a mil? this from a team who kept d. staley until week 11-12? :dang:

OneForTheToe
01-13-2007, 01:31 AM
Well, it has only been a week. And, I don't think interviewing 5 or 6 candidates is exactly going crazy. If they are still doing first interviews at this time next week, then I'll agree that they are dragging their feet.

tony hipchest
01-13-2007, 01:49 AM
Well, it has only been a week. And, I don't think interviewing 5 or 6 candidates is exactly going crazy. If they are still doing first interviews at this time next week, then I'll agree that they are dragging their feet.hell, if they drag their feet long enough, maybe they will be lucky enough to land art shell. im sure hes cheap, he has HC experience and has proven he can beat the steelers.

OneForTheToe
01-13-2007, 02:00 AM
Well just amend to:

1) If Whisenhunt is the Steelers definite choice, then they are playing a risky game.
2) If Grimm is their choice, then Steelers are probably betting he will not get an offer from any other team, and that once the Miami and Arizona jobs close (whether or not Whisenhunt gets one of those jobs), Grimm will be easier to sign.
3) If they have decided that they would be fine with either of the two, then similar outcome as 2) above. Once those other jobs close, it will be easy to sign their choice.
4) If they really don't know who they prefer, or if prefer someone from outside, then it's a poo fest.

This leads me to believe that most likely Grimm is their choice. Unless, Barry Switzer is interested. :)

MJ5150
01-13-2007, 02:02 AM
Whiz and Grimm WANT the job. They are Steeler guys. Flip a coin and make a decision already. This is starting to approach circus status for me.....for me, I said. I don't want every guy who has held a clipboard to be interviewed. Mike Sherman? Come on. Chan Gailey? Please.

Keep our system in place and grab Grimm or Whiz.

-Mike

tony hipchest
01-13-2007, 02:11 AM
just wanna let you know that marv levy and art shell are still out there. you might wanna call them in for an interview. they both have head coaching experience and im sure both would come cheap.

its one thing to piss away cowher. its another to make an effort to piss away 2 of the hottest coaching candidates in the league, to possibly save $1 million or so.

can anyone see the pats doing this with belichick, weiss, and crennell one year removed from winning a champ? the pats held on for as long as they could and its still paying dividends.

wtf are the rooneys doing?

gailey and sherman????

this is the equivalent of firing k. colbert to save $.5 mil, and seeking out matt millen as a replacement gm.

i better shut up. that may be what we are looking at next season.

MJ5150
01-13-2007, 02:24 AM
Ease up buddy. I'm borderline frustrated right now as well, but I won't go as far as you have.

All I will say to anyone in the Steeler FO reading this....you get what you pay for. You nickel and dime a guy, and he will give you a nickel and dime effort in return.

-Mike

tony hipchest
01-13-2007, 02:27 AM
Well just amend to:

1) If Whisenhunt is the Steelers definite choice, then they are playing a risky game.
2) If Grimm is their choice, then Steelers are probably betting he will not get an offer from any other team, and that once the Miami and Arizona jobs close (whether or not Whisenhunt gets one of those jobs), Grimm will be easier to sign.
3) If they have decided that they would be fine with either of the two, then similar outcome as 2) above. Once those other jobs close, it will be easy to sign their choice.
4) If they really don't know who they prefer, or if prefer someone from outside, then it's a poo fest.

This leads me to believe that most likely Grimm is their choice. Unless, Barry Switzer is interested. :)to me it seems like option #3

a) they are trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip
b) they are so afraid of making the wrong choice, they are waiting for the decision to be made for them. (thus giving a built in excuse if we wind up with the wrong guy)

tony hipchest
01-13-2007, 02:46 AM
Ease up buddy. I'm borderline frustrated right now as well, but I won't go as far as you have.

All I will say to anyone in the Steeler FO reading this....you get what you pay for. You nickel and dime a guy, and he will give you a nickel and dime effort in return.

-Mikei intentionally crossed the line by questioning "the rooneys". no one else has, in the form of a thread on this board, so i figured i might as well be the 1st. its fine to question ben riding a motorcycle, cowher buying a house, agents asking for their players to get more money, etc.

lets just find out how taboo a subject on the bidwells errr.... rooney(s) is/are.

ive used this similar analogy before. are you gonna hire the 55 year old garbage truck driver to drive you around in your rolls royce for minimum wage, or are you gonna shell out a few extra bucks and hire the reigning NASCAR champion?

there is driving and then there is DRIVING.

i am no one to tell them how to run their business or to spend their money, but then again i dont give a squat about their profit margin. i just want to see my team win on sundays.

i sure hope art sr. isnt rolling over in his grave.

Preacher
01-13-2007, 04:10 AM
i intentionally crossed the line by questioning "the rooneys". no one else has, in the form of a thread on this board, so i figured i might as well be the 1st. its fine to question ben riding a motorcycle, cowher buying a house, agents asking for their players to get more money, etc.

lets just find out how taboo a subject on the bidwells errr.... rooney(s) is/are.

ive used this similar analogy before. are you gonna hire the 55 year old garbage truck driver to drive you around in your rolls royce for minimum wage, or are you gonna shell out a few extra bucks and hire the reigning NASCAR champion?

there is driving and then there is DRIVING.

i am no one to tell them how to run their business or to spend their money, but then again i dont give a squat about their profit margin. i just want to see my team win on sundays.

i sure hope art sr. isnt rolling over in his grave.

I understand the frustration.

The only thing I keep thinking about...

The Rooney's have done great with the last two coaches. Somehow, they know what to look for. On top of that...

They HAVE TO MAKE IT LOOK FAIR. Why? Because if it looked all along like they were giving the job to Grimm or Wiz... There will be charges that a fair interview process wasn't given to a minority candidate.

PisnNapalm
01-13-2007, 07:40 AM
I have faith in the Rooneys to make the best choice for the team. While money may be a factor it won't certainly won't be the only one.

83-Steelers-43
01-13-2007, 07:50 AM
I've heard on a few occasions that Dungy left the Steeler organization on bad terms back in '89' and the relationship between Dungy and the Rooney's is still on shaky ground to this day. Just last week Ed Bouchette stated the exact same thing on Sports Beat with Stan Savern.

Take it for what it's worth or don't take it all. Personally, I don't see the Rooney's going after Dungy nor do I see Dungy wanting the job.

83-Steelers-43
01-13-2007, 08:01 AM
They have not let us down in the past when it comes to coaching decisions. I have faith in the people who have a ownership bloodline which dates back to 1933. If they want to cover all ground and make sure they have the right man for the job that's fine by me. Do what you gotta do.

This is a little bit different than going out and signing a free agent or making a trade. I'm taking the wait and see approach when it comes to this monumental decision. If this team went through five different HC's in the last fifteen years then I would have some concerns. But, that's not the case.

HometownGal
01-13-2007, 08:22 AM
I have faith in the Rooneys to make the best choice for the team. While money may be a factor it won't certainly won't be the only one.

Gotta agree PisnNapalm. They've made two excellent choices over a span of 37 years and I have to believe they are going to make another excellent choice here. I think we are all being a little impatient waiting for the Rooneys to choose our new HC, which is understandable, but we've just gotta keep the faith here and trust that they are going to select yet another great HC who will fill those other fingers with rings. :tt02:

Steeldude
01-13-2007, 08:29 AM
grimm - coaches the O-line(enough said) and is responsible for halftime adjustments. we all know the history of how poorly the steelers make adjustments during games.

whisenhunt - OC of a very predictable offense with a QB who has become stagnant in terms of his growth/skill. who here can't tell when the steelers are going to run and when they are going to pass?

now maybe cowher had something to do with the negatives above. but whoever becomes the HC i hope they have a little more knowledge with the X's and O's than cowher did.

i see no problem with bringing in as many candidates as possible. i thought i read somewhere they are going to interview mike sherman also.

Atlanta Dan
01-13-2007, 08:43 AM
I believe some of us (including me) are nervous about the coaching search because it is one of the first major actions in which we know AJR II has a major role (aside from the Cowher contract negotiations which, regardless of the reason why, did not turn out perfectly) and he does not have his dad's track record of achievement. Sort of like watching a 16 year old pulling out of the driveway behind the wheel of a Porsche for the first time - AJR II might be a great driver but we simply do not know how talented he is.

With Cowher effectively having been gone since summer and with the Rooneys presumably having a pretty good idea what Whiz and Grimm are like, what is baffling to me is why only now the Steeelers are calling up retreads like Gailey and Sherman - seems to me those calls should have been made the afternoon Cowher resigned or, if you are trying to squeeze someone on salary, immediately after the Atlanta job was filled last Sunday night.

Atlanta Dan
01-13-2007, 08:54 AM
I've heard on a few occasions that Dungy left the Steeler organization on bad terms back in '89' and the relationship between Dungy and the Rooney's is still on shaky ground to this day. Just last week Ed Bouchette stated the exact same thing on Sports Beat with Stan Savern.

Take it for what it's worth or don't take it all. Personally, I don't see the Rooney's going after Dungy nor do I see Dungy wanting the job.

As I recall, "bad terms" was that Dungy was one of several coaches Noll was told by Dan Rooney to fire after the 5-11 season in 1988 unless Noll wanted to join them in the unemployment line. Not that he is coming to Pittsburgh, but Dungy (along with such former employees as Donohoe) may have seen a side of Dan Rooney that differs from the public perception that working for the Rooneys is like working for Santa Claus.

Big D
01-13-2007, 09:08 AM
why the hell are we interviewing the same canidates as the cardinals! I think this is a huge game the steelers are playing with the cardinals. But then again the Sherman crap could be speculation

Big D
01-13-2007, 09:21 AM
why we wont get sherman
Arizona Republic (registration required): "The Cardinals conducted a second interview with Ken Whisenhunt, the Steelers offensive coordinator and one of the hottest coaching candidates on the market. If the Cardinals emerged from Friday's interview with a firm plan for proceeding, no one is talking about it... FoxSports.com reported that the Cardinals were prepared to offer the job to Sherman but backed away when he asked for a salary of $4 million a year."

Atlanta Dan
01-13-2007, 09:31 AM
As Tone has said, it is a race to the bottom between the Steelers and Cardinals as to who can pay less for a HC.

Big D
01-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Interesting reading. Espcially logic on why the steelers intervied chan gailey.

Will the Steelers hire a coach who's a dead ringer for Bill Cowher, the ultimate players' coach?
Don't count on it.

Teams tend to hire a new coach who's different from the old one.

Current Georgia Tech coach and former Steelers offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, a Cowher favorite, is scheduled to interview for Cowher's vacancy today at the Steelers' South Side practice facility.

Gailey hasn't coached in the NFL since 2001, when he was an offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins under Dave Wannstedt.

Meanwhile, offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, whose personality is more similar to Cowher's than any Steelers assistant, completed his second interview with the Arizona Cardinals on Friday.

The timing of Gailey's interview with the Steelers is curious, but it also makes a lot of sense.

Gailey is the only candidate with head-coaching experience. The Steelers can't hire a new coach without at least considering a candidate who's been a head coach. It just wouldn't look right.

That doesn't mean Gailey is a favorite to become the new Steelers coach. It does, however, mean the Steelers will interview someone with head coaching experience. Not to mention someone with ties to the Steelers, and who comes highly regarded by Cowher, a favorite of chairman Dan Rooney.

Interviewing with the Steelers also enhances Gailey's position with Georgia Tech, where he's signed through 2011. Gailey also interviewed for the Miami Dolphins vacancy, making him even more attractive to his current employer and putting him in line for a nice salary bump upon returning to Atlanta.

What does Gailey interviewing mean for the other Steelers candidates? For starters, the mere mention of Gailey's name should make Grimm and Whisenhunt more agreeable to the team's contract terms, considering they both interviewed early in the week and the Steelers still brought in another candidate.

Grimm, now more than ever, looks like the favorite over Whisenhunt, Gailey and outside candidates Ron Rivera of the Chicago Bears and Mike Tomlin of the Minnesota Vikings, who are both defensive coordinators.

Consider that it was Whisenhunt, not Grimm, who returned to Arizona for a second interview, apparently with the Steelers' blessings.

That may be the most profound development since Cowher's resignation. No way the Steelers permit Whisenhunt to conduct another interview with the Cardinals if he's their choice.

Grimm also interviewed with Arizona. It's doubtful the Steelers will grant him a second interview with the Cardinals, unless Grimm isn't their guy.

Appearances are deceiving with the low-keyed Grimm, who played high school football at Southmoreland and was a star at Pitt.

He's the assistant whom Cowher, the players' coach, would ask to motivate the Steelers players at halftime.

Grimm is the coach who focused on defense during his interview with Arizona. Smart move, considering the Cardinals interviewed Whisenhunt, Tennessee offensive coordinator Norm Chow and San Diego offensive coordinator Cam Cameron.

Unlike the other candidates, Grimm isn't a coordinator and he hasn't been a head coach.

What Grimm does seem to have is a no-nonsense football philosophy and the respect of players and management. And isn't that what being a head coach is supposedly all about?

83-Steelers-43
01-13-2007, 09:44 AM
As I recall, "bad terms" was that Dungy was one of several coaches Noll was told by Dan Rooney to fire after the 5-11 season in 1988 unless Noll wanted to join them in the unemployment line. Not that he is coming to Pittsburgh, but Dungy (along with such former employees as Donohoe) may have seen a side of Dan Rooney that differs from the public perception that working for the Rooneys is like working for Santa Claus.

Heard something similar. I heard that Dungy was not to be fired, but was to take a "lower" coaching position (instead of remaining the DC). Dungy was not thrilled with that decision and decided to leave. I could be wrong.

As for Donahue. I believe the shaky relationship between Cowher and Donahue had more to do with that departure than the relationship between Donahue and the Rooney's. If I recall correctly, Cowher basically stated "It's either me or Donahue". Obviously the Rooney's chose Cowher.

Atlanta Dan
01-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Of course Noll and Cowher had no HC experience and were in their 30s when they were hired. The possibility of the Steelers hiring a 55 year old college coach is either laughable or terrifying. Since I assume the rooneys are not clueless, I agree with the part of the artiicle that states the Gailey interview is a salary squeeze move on the actual HC choice and his agent.

If Cowher had been fired because the team had a series of bad years then they would go outside the organization - because it appears the Rooneys think this team can contend for the SB in 2007, bringing in a totally new coaching staff probably would be too disruptive.

It is going to be Whiz or Grimm - the Steelers better hope they do not lose their first choice by playing salary negotiation games with the Gailey & Sherman interviews.

I guess next year they can tell Troy they are going to go with Smith and Clark as safeties if Troy does not sign for whatever number the Steelers are offering and that Ben better recognize that Brian St. Pierre is ready and waiting if Ben attempts to get tough in negotiating his extension.

Atlanta Dan
01-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Heard something similar. I heard that Dungy was not to be fired, but was to take a "lower" coaching position (instead of remaining the DC). Dungy was not thrilled with that decision and decided to leave. I could be wrong.

As for Donahue. I believe the shaky relationship between Cowher and Donahue had more to do with that departure than the relationship between Donahue and the Rooney's. If I recall correctly, Cowher basically stated "It's either me or Donahue". Obviously the Rooney's chose Cowher.

My recollection is that both Donohoe and Cowher offered their resignations to Dan Rooney after the 1999 season - Donohoe assumed since Cowher was coming off 2 losing seasons while Donohoe had been in the organization longer (and in fact had some sort of personal ties to the Rooneys since Donohoe was a relative of former Pittsburgh mayor/political boss David Lawrence) that Cowher would get canned. Donohoe guessed wrong - it's a tough business and loyalty is not real high on the list of factors that impact NFL hiring decisions - the sainted Rooney family is no exception.

83-Steelers-43
01-13-2007, 10:00 AM
My recollection is that both Donohoe and Cowher offered their resignations to Dan Rooney after the 1999 season - Donohoe assumed since Cowher was coming off 2 losing seasons while Donohoe had been in the organization longer (and in fact had some sort of personal ties to the Rooneys since Donohoe was a relative of former Pittsburgh mayor/political boss David Lawrence) that Cowher would get canned. Donohoe guessed wrong - it's a tough business and loyalty is not real high on the list of factors that impact NFL hiring decisions - the sainted Rooney family is no exception.

Oh well. Guess we will never really know what occured behind closed doors. Thankfully the Rooney's made the correct decisions for the most part. Hopefully they keep it up when it comes to our current decision. I have faith.

Big D
01-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Oh well. Guess we will never really know what occured behind closed doors. Thankfully the Rooney's made the correct decisions for the most part. Hopefully they keep it up when it comes to our current decision. I have faith.

I know it's scary because the steelers are going to interview gailey and sherman. And by the way there is no way in hell the steelers would give sherman 4 million a year so you can rule him out. But the steelers arent stupid like al davis. They will make the right choice.

SteelCityMan786
01-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Please Keep All News in the Bill Cowher's Successor Thread. The More Head Coach Threads we have it's going to cluster the forums. If it keeps up threads will either be deleted or merged with the already established thread. further actions will result in bans at the discression of the mod(s).

Livinginthe past
01-13-2007, 10:57 AM
A couple of thought from an outsider ( I may have mentioned them before)

I am confused as to why the Steelers are trying to cut corners in filling the HC vacancy - its not as if there is a cap structure in place like there is with players.

The money paid to the HC is alot less than alot of the players on the team - that is a fairly consistent fact and one that amazes me.

If the Steelers lost out on the best coach because of $2 million it would not only be a bad football decision - it would be a bad business one aswell.

Gailey is the only candidate with head-coaching experience. The Steelers can't hire a new coach without at least considering a candidate who's been a head coach. It just wouldn't look right.

I think the Steelers are wasting alot of time 'doing the right thing' - if it isnt making sure they interview a 'minority candidate' they are 'interviewing a former HC' because it wouldn't 'look right' if they didnt.

The fact that Cowher held on for so long before doing what most of us knew he would put the Steelers behind the clock in the race for a top HC.

All this nonsense about doing stuff because 'it looks right' is putting them even further behind.

One way of looking at the long tenures of the previous Steelers HC's is that the front office hasnt had a great deal of experience or practice in looking for new candidates.

NM

Big D
01-13-2007, 11:00 AM

I am confused as to why the Steelers are trying to cut corners in filling the HC vacancy - its not as if there is a cap structure in place like there is with players.

The money paid to the HC is alot less than most of the players on the team - that is a fairly consistent fact and one that amazes me.

If the Steelers lost out on the best coach because of $2 million it would not only be a bad football decision - it would be a bad business one aswell.

I think the Steelers are wasting alot of time 'doing the right thing' - if it isnt making sure they interview a 'minority candidate' they are 'interviewing a former HC' because it wouldn't 'look right' if they didnt.

The fact that Cowher held on for so long before doing what most of us knew he would put the Steelers behind the clock in the race for a top HC.

All this nonsense about doing stuff because 'it looks right' is putting them even further behind.

One way of looking at the long tenures of the previous Steelers HC's is that the front office hasnt had a great deal of experience or practice in looking for new candidates.

NM

Keep in mind before the steelers hired cowher the position was open for i believe 3 and a half weeks. This isnt the raiders,cardinals,browns are lions that hire a new coach every other year. This is a position that opens very rarely. So I think if they are just trying to cover the bases it's alright. However if they are simply trying to save money that's another story

Livinginthe past
01-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Keep in mind before the steelers hired cowher the position was open for i believe 3 and a half weeks. This isnt the raiders,cardinals,browns are lions that hire a new coach every other year. This is a position that opens very rarely. So I think if they are just trying to cover the bases it's alright. However if they are simply trying to save money that's another story

Its probably fair to say that the process and speed of selecting a new HC has changed quite a bit since the Steelers last had to do it.

Maybe they already know who they want and this is all a facade, but if it isn't they are wasting time by interviewing people because it wouldnt look right if they didnt.

NM

Atlanta Dan
01-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Well, Cowher quit last Friday - that may have put the Steelers behind in the race to hire Bobby Petrino, but it is not as if anyone else has been signed. Cowher certainly was not going to quit during the season but since his departure was no shock the Steelers have had time to prepare for a HC search.

You never know who will turn out to be a successful HC, but with all the HC turnover in recent years, the HC candidiates this year are like some years when the draft does not have a lot of apparent All-Pros. So I do not see a lot of uninterviewed candidates that I wish the Steelers would interview (Cameron is a hot candidiate for some but lets see how he handles what Belichek has cooked up for tomorrow).

My frustration is that for a variety of reasons it is going to be Whiz or Grimm and that the most logical explanation for the delay is over salary. That does not bode well for a franchise that is going through a generational transition of ownership and has a lot of FAs going on the market after this coming season that probably will need to be signed up by August or lost to FA.

Big D
01-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Its probably fair to say that the process and speed of selecting a new HC has changed quite a bit since the Steelers last had to do it.

Maybe they already know who they want and this is all a facade, but if it isn't they are wasting time by interviewing people because it wouldnt look right if they didnt.

NM

See I dont know about that. Both the dolphins and cardinals fired there coaches Jan 1. And either team have even narrowed down the search to two yet. I think with the recent coaching carousel teams are trying to be more selective of there canidates. I just look at it on a personal level. I was recently a sales manager for a national company. It normally took 3-4 weeks of interviewing before we hired our canidate. I dont know why it would be any different in the nfl.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-13-2007, 12:48 PM
It is going to be Whiz or Grimm - the Steelers better hope they do not lose their first choice by playing salary negotiation games with the Gailey & Sherman interviews.

I guess next year they can tell Troy they are going to go with Smith and Clark as safeties if Troy does not sign for whatever number the Steelers are offering and that Ben better recognize that Brian St. Pierre is ready and waiting if Ben attempts to get tough in negotiating his extension.

Gailey & Sherman. No. I'd be floored if they were hired - more like a Code Blue. Gailey sounds like a hedge maybe as an offensive coordinator if Whiz bolts. And that would not make me happy either.

Now for WHiz. He goes on record as saying that the Steelers job is the one he wants. And now he is on the second round in Arizona. This may be the classic example of "Say one thing" "Do another". With the erosion of time something tells me his plans were to parachute into that new palace in the desert and the only issue left to decide...gold or platinum parachute?

If that were true then handing the reigns to Grimm 'by default' doesn't quite seem to fit either. I wonder if there isn't someone 'off our radar'.

Big D
01-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Gailey & Sherman. No. I'd be floored if they were hired - more like a Code Blue. Gailey sounds like a hedge maybe as an offensive coordinator if Whiz bolts. And that would not make me happy either.

Now for WHiz. He goes on record as saying that the Steelers job is the one he wants. And now he is on the second round in Arizona. This may be the classic example of "Say one thing" "Do another". With the erosion of time something tells me his plans were to parachute into that new palace in the desert and the only issue left to decide...gold or platinum parachute?

If that were true then handing the reigns to Grimm 'by default' doesn't quite seem to fit either. I wonder if there isn't someone 'off our radar'.

I've thought this many times. Maybe a college coach who is making sure all of his recurits have fully commited perhaps? I think Grimm has the advantage.

tony hipchest
01-13-2007, 01:16 PM

NMif youre talking about being able to go to monster.com and pulling up a dozen resumes for coaching candidates then yes, i would agree that the "process and speed has changed quite a bit". :rolleyes:

seriously, what has changes so dramatically? are there new techniques that the 31 other teams have figured out and kept secret from the rooneys? do recent hires of d. lebeau and k. colbert show the steelers dont have their finger on the pulse of how things work in the nfl?

its really quite a reach to suggest they all of a sudden forgot how to run their business in an attempt to find a chink in the rooneys armor. they are not missing the boat on any coaching candidates because the 2 best coaching candidates out there are already under contract with the steelers. like cowher used to always say "its a good problem to have".

i would say the charade aspect of it is correct and rooney is starting to remind me of monte hall on "lets make a deal".

"whiz, you can stick with whats on the table under the box, OR take whats behind door number 3".

many times we see the "the game" of football turned into too much of a business. why try to turn the business side of it into a game? (damn, thats a good quote, if i do say so myself. feel free to use it anytime)

Big D
01-13-2007, 01:23 PM
and if the steelers head coaching job is on monster. Where could I find it? I want to throw my resume out there.

tony hipchest
01-13-2007, 01:25 PM
I wonder if there isn't someone 'off our radar'.art shell? denny green? who was that o coordinator for the raiders who spent the last 10 years running a bed and breakfast?

Big D
01-13-2007, 01:26 PM
art shell? denny green? who was that o coordinator for the raiders who spent the last 10 years running a bed and breakfast?

Tom Walsh

Big D
01-13-2007, 01:27 PM
art shell? denny green? who was that o coordinator for the raiders who spent the last 10 years running a bed and breakfast?

by the way mr walsh is still on the raiders staff.

tony hipchest
01-13-2007, 01:40 PM
by the way mr walsh is still on the raiders staff.

as what? a short order cook in the players lounge?

thats no obstacle if the rooneys promote him to HC. we can all pretend his 1st name is bill.

that would be great :dang: (and cheap)

Big D
01-13-2007, 01:43 PM
as what? a short order cook in the players lounge?

thats no obstacle if the rooneys promote him to HC. we can all pretend his 1st name is bill.

that would be great :dang: (and cheap)

Hell he can also take over the vending servies. I dont know why the steelers dont hire you as an consultant tony.

tony hipchest
01-13-2007, 01:58 PM
I dont know why the steelers dont hire you as an consultant tony.because they would have to match my current salary.

Livinginthe past
01-13-2007, 04:18 PM
its really quite a reach to suggest they all of a sudden forgot how to run their business in an attempt to find a chink in the rooneys armor. they are not missing the boat on any coaching candidates because the 2 best coaching candidates out there are already under contract with the steelers.

Really?

Your earlier comments on this thread wouldn't suggest as much.

i intentionally crossed the line by questioning "the rooneys". no one else has, in the form of a thread on this board, so i figured i might as well be the 1st. its fine to question ben riding a motorcycle, cowher buying a house, agents asking for their players to get more money, etc.

ive never seen a champion calibur franchise handle their coaching position like this. all for what? to save half a mil? this from a team who kept d. staley until week 11-12?

its one thing to piss away cowher. its another to make an effort to piss away 2 of the hottest coaching candidates in the league, to possibly save $1 million or so.

can anyone see the pats doing this with belichick, weiss, and crennell one year removed from winning a champ? the pats held on for as long as they could and its still paying dividends.

wtf are the rooneys doing?

The most predictable thing in the world would be you trying to take the other side when I criticised the Rooney's handling of the situation - despite the fact you have just been doing the same thing.

Ho-hum.

NM

HometownGal
01-13-2007, 04:27 PM
:drinkup: :popcorn:

tony hipchest
01-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Really?

Your earlier comments on this thread wouldn't suggest as much.

The most predictable thing in the world would be you trying to take the other side when I criticised the Rooney's handling of the situation - despite the fact you have just been doing the same thing.

Ho-hum.

NMapples and oranges. you implied the rooneys dont know what theyre doing. they know exactly what theyre doing as do i. you said either, or. i blew your "either" theory out of the water, and accepted the "or" that the negotiations was a "facade". the continuing negotiations and haggling with the bidwells is what i dont agree with (although it can also be looked at as due diligence), nor did i agree with letting go of cowher because of money issues. i never said they dont know how to run their business, in fact i said i am no one to tell them HOW to run their business. i just dont agree with it (havent said its right or wrong cause we havent seen how it will play out) like many have said the rooneys have always done fine. i hope theyre right.

you still havent offered up any of the great coaching candidates theyre missing out on.

you still havent explained how the hiring process has changed over the year. :rolleyes: pretty tough to explain hot air.

besides the 3 posts of mine you quoted, youve missed out on quite a bit in this thread. my thoughts and viewpoints are well documented.

spin on

SteelCzar76
01-13-2007, 04:40 PM
:drinkup: :popcorn:

LOL (yelling at Tone with the "Mickey from Rocky voice")

"C'mon kid,......cut off the ring and go to the body. He's counter punchin" ! :sofunny: :sofunny:

Livinginthe past
01-13-2007, 04:56 PM
apples and oranges. you implied the rooneys dont know what theyre doing. they know exactly what theyre doing as do i.

What?

I cannot believe you are even trying to defend this line.

Even though you said it, i'll tighten the focus of the comments I quoted.

i intentionally crossed the line by questioning "the rooneys"

This is you, confident that Rooneys know what they are doing?

i'd hate to see how negative you became if you ever lost that shining faith.

you said either, or. i blew your "either" theory out of the water, and accepted the "or" that the negotiations was a "facade". the continuing negotiations and haggling with the bidwells is what i dont agree with (although it can also be looked at as due diligence), nor did i agree with letting go of cowher because of money issues. i never said they dont know how to run their business, in fact i said i am no one to tell them HOW to run their business. i just dont agree with it (havent said its right or wrong cause we havent seen how it will play out) like many have said the rooneys have always done fine. i hope theyre right.

Quite honestly Tony, you are in absolutely no better position on this board to 'blow any theory' out of the water - you are just as ignorant of what goes on in the boardrooms as the rest of us.

Shouting the loudest doesn't make you the wisest.

Oh and for the record, I doubt the Rooneys actually read this website, so dont worry yourself about 'telling' the Rooney's to do anything. :thumbsup:

you still havent offered up any of the great coaching candidates theyre missing out on.

Where did I say I would do that?

you still havent explained how the hiring process has changed over the year. :rolleyes: pretty tough to explain hot air.

besides the 3 posts of mine you quoted, youve missed out on quite a bit in this thread. my thoughts and viewpoints are well documented.

spin on

Actually it was conjecture, as I already explained, I dont know for a fact what goes on in NFL boardrooms during these types of negotiations - and neither does anyone on this board.

What I offered was an opinion.

Certainly nothing you are capable of 'blowing out of the water'

NM

tony hipchest
01-13-2007, 05:13 PM
What?

I cannot believe you are even trying to defend this line.

Even though you said it, i'll tighten the focus of the comments I quoted.

This is you, confident that Rooneys know what they are doing?

i'd hate to see how negative you became if you ever lost that shining faith.

Quite honestly Tony, you are in absolutely no better position on this board to 'blow any theory' out of the water - you are just as ignorant of what goes on in the boardrooms as the rest of us.

Shouting the loudest doesn't make you the wisest.

Oh and for the record, I doubt the Rooneys actually read this website, so dont worry yourself about 'telling' the Rooney's to do anything. :thumbsup:

Where did I say I would do that?

Actually it was conjecture, as I already explained, I dont know for a fact what goes on in NFL boardrooms during these types of negotiations - and neither does anyone on this board.

What I offered was an opinion.

Certainly nothing you are capable of 'blowing out of the water'

NMagain, apples and oranges. you were questioning their search for a new head coach. that part is going fine. the 2 best candidates out there are already in house. what i am questionning is the negotiation strategies with those 2 top candidates. you are right. none of us REALLY know what goes on in the boardroom but some of us (me) are more apt to figure it out than others (you).

lemme break down your initial offering to give credit where it is due:

I am confused as to why the Steelers are trying to cut corners in filling the HC vacancy - its not as if there is a cap structure in place like there is with players. agree

The money paid to the HC is alot less than alot of the players on the team - that is a fairly consistent fact and one that amazes me. agree

If the Steelers lost out on the best coach because of $2 million it would not only be a bad football decision - it would be a bad business one aswell. totally agree

Quote:

I think the Steelers are wasting alot of time 'doing the right thing' - if it isnt making sure they interview a 'minority candidate' they are 'interviewing a former HC' because it wouldn't 'look right' if they didnt.hogwash

The fact that Cowher held on for so long before doing what most of us knew he would put the Steelers behind the clock in the race for a top HC.:sofunny: hogwash

All this nonsense about doing stuff because 'it looks right' is putting them even further behind.:toofunny: complete hogwash

One way of looking at the long tenures of the previous Steelers HC's is that the front office hasnt had a great deal of experience or practice in looking for new candidates.:rofl:stop dude, your killing me!

care to explain how far "behind the clock" are they in this "race"? or is that more unexplainable hot air?

Livinginthe past
01-13-2007, 05:16 PM
I see you are sticking with putting as many smilies as possible in your posts.

Definitely content-free.

Feel free to disagree, but you really dont know any more than I do.

NM

tony hipchest
01-13-2007, 05:33 PM
I see you are sticking with putting as many smilies as possible in your posts.

Definitely content-free.

Feel free to disagree, but you really dont know any more than I do.

NMof course not, you know it all right? by the definition of "all" it would be impossible for me to know "more" -check

care to explain how far "behind the clock" are the rooneys are in this "race"?

care to explain how the hiring practices have changed in the past 15 years?

i can defend my words. just defend yours. thats kinda what a debate is all about. -checkmate

:tt02: *tony takes a victory lap waving the checkered flag* :chuckle:

Big D
01-13-2007, 05:35 PM
:popcorn: :beerbang:

Livinginthe past
01-13-2007, 05:37 PM
of course not, you know it all right? by the definition of "all" it would be impossible for me to know "more" -check

care to explain how far "behind the clock" are the rooneys are in this "race"?

i can defend my words. just defend yours. thats kinda what a debate is all about. -checkmate

:tt02: *tony takes a victory lap waving the checkered flag* :chuckle:

Seriously what are you even talking about?

You just make up stuff that I said and then defend that - again - Straw man - look it up.

Where did I say I knew all.

You said it.

Again, just talk for talks sake.

NM

tony hipchest
01-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Seriously what are you even talking about?

You just make up stuff that I said and then defend that - again - Straw man - look it up.

Where did I say I knew all.

You said it.

Again, just talk for talks sake.

NM

"of course not, you know it all right?"

dude, slow down.

this is a question. not a statement. learn the difference. regardless of what it implies, there is no need to get so defensive or denying you said those words.

Livinginthe past
01-13-2007, 05:51 PM
dude, slow down.

this is a question. not a statement. learn the difference. regardless of what it implies, there is no need to get so defensive or denying you said those words.

This is perfect, you want to me to address the 'question' of whether 'I know it all'?

Thats an awful post.

I'll be back when someone starts talking football.

NM

tony hipchest
01-13-2007, 05:59 PM
I'll be back when someone starts talking football.

NMyou wanna talk some football? sure!

care to explain how far "behind the clock" are the rooneys are in this "race" to hire a head coach?

Big D
01-13-2007, 06:02 PM
I feel like i'm tripping here. This seems like deja vu all over again.

Livinginthe past
01-13-2007, 06:16 PM
care to explain how far "behind the clock" are the rooneys are in this "race" to hire a head coach?

Its seems pretty simple to me.

The Steelers are interviewing guys like Gailey and Sherman - these are not thought o be serious candidates by alot of people who follow football.

Therefore every moment they spend interviewing them is time wasted.

You said that the Steelers were looking for a 'cheap coach' - along with an anaology about a 55year old garbage truck driver vs a Nascar driver - this means you either dont think the Rooneys are seriously looking at these guys or that they are being overly tight with money.

I could tell you the 'Rooney rule' for a start - that sure wasnt about 15 years ago.

I know that hiring practices for regular jobs have changed a hell of alot over the same time span - coaches in sports are now expected to have OHP presentations rather than sitting down and telling the owners what nees ot be done and how.

It makes sense to me that if most other things in life have changed in 15 years.

NM

tony hipchest
01-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Its seems pretty simple to me.

The Steelers are interviewing guys like Gailey and Sherman - these are not thought o be serious candidates by alot of people who follow football. they arent. not horrible candidates, but not the direction the steelers should go in if continuity is a main priority. the word in pgh is that it is.

Therefore every moment they spend interviewing them is time wasted.

time wasted? there is a whole off season. what if theres a candidate on the patriots they'd also like to take a look at? ever hear the phrase "fools rush in"? elvis did a good song about it

You said that the Steelers were looking for a 'cheap coach' - along with an anaology about a 55year old garbage truck driver vs a Nascar driver - this means you either dont think the Rooneys are seriously looking at these guys or that they are being overly tight with money.dont know what this has to do with "the race". anyone out there will come cheaper than cowher. this is pretty much obvious. ive elaborated quite a bit on my views of this situation in this thread. no need to re-hash to address this post.

I could tell you the 'Rooney rule' for a start - that sure wasnt about 15 years ago. im thinking the rooneys know all about this rule. im looking for the changes that have taken place in the past 15 years that mightve passed the steelers by thus hindering this current head coach search.

I know that hiring practices for regular jobs have changed a hell of alot over the same time span - coaches in sports are now expected to have OHP presentations rather than sitting down and telling the owners what nees ot be done and how. ive addressed this in the "are interviews necessary thread. dom capers was on the steelers staff. again im pretty sure they are aware of the latest trends.

It makes sense to me that if most other things in life have changed in 15 years.
yes. the internet is more popular than ever and monster.com makes hiring much easier

NMi clearly see how the rooneys are at such a huge disadvantage because they have been slacking. :rolleyes:

Big D
01-13-2007, 06:31 PM
i clearly see how the rooneys are at such a huge disadvantage because they have been slacking. :rolleyes:

I honestly dont see anything wrong with interviewing so many canidates. They are just trying to get it right. This is only the second time they have had to replace a head coach since the afl nfl merger. They havent perfected hiring and firing coaches the way the raiders and cardinals have.

Livinginthe past
01-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Oh and the Rooneys are definitely being cheap.

What do you think that is?

NM

Big D
01-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Oh and the Rooneys are definitely being cheap.

What do you think that is?

NM

there isnt even any proof that the rooneys are being cheap. It's all speculation.

Livinginthe past
01-13-2007, 06:58 PM
there isnt even any proof that the rooneys are being cheap. It's all speculation.

This whole thread is speculation is it not?

Enough people have said it, I wanted some opinions on why they thought they were being miserly with an extra couple of million bucks.

NM

tony hipchest
01-13-2007, 07:00 PM

Enough people have said it, I wanted some opinions on why they thought they were being miserly with an extra couple of million bucks.
the rooneys are being cheap. if money wasnt an issue like with the snyders, jones, krafts, or allens then cowher wouldve been retained. these guys all have big business to fall back on. however, the rooneys only business is the steelers , so several million to them isnt small change like it is with some other owners.

its kinda like how a fine of $10,000 might be big to me or you but really means nothing to someone like t.o.

the rooneys do have leverage in that they have 2 very equally desired and qualified potential HC candidates so i guess they have to use that leverage and try to drive down the asking price from a business stand point. kinda tarnishes the family atmosphere and image though, if you ask me.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-13-2007, 07:01 PM
This whole thread is speculation is it not?

NM

The Rooney's are waiting for Ron Rivera. Ok I don't know and I don't have a clue why they would want to interview Gailey or Sherman. No retread HC please.

Livinginthe past
01-13-2007, 07:31 PM
the rooneys are being cheap. if money wasnt an issue like with the snyders, jones, krafts, or allens then cowher wouldve been retained. these guys all have big business to fall back on. however, the rooneys only business is the steelers , so several million to them isnt small change like it is with some other owners.

its kinda like how a fine of $10,000 might be big to me or you but really means nothing to someone like t.o.

the rooneys do have leverage in that they have 2 very equally desired and qualified potential HC candidates so i guess they have to use that leverage and try to drive down the asking price from a business stand point. kinda tarnishes the family atmosphere and image though, if you ask me.

I really dont think that 'lack of funds' is a sufficient excuse when the salary cap is over $100 million.

Being cheap with the guy who is paid to maximise the potential of the $100 million is foolish.

NM

Livinginthe past
01-13-2007, 07:32 PM
The Rooney's are waiting for Ron Rivera. Ok I don't know and I don't have a clue why they would want to interview Gailey or Sherman. No retread HC please.

They might be waiting awhile then - its a risky ploy unless he has guaranteed he will sign for them and not somebody else.

He would be a nice pick though.

NM

Black@Gold Forever32
01-13-2007, 07:37 PM
They might be waiting awhile then - its a risky ploy unless he has guaranteed he will sign for them and not somebody else.

He would be a nice pick though.

NM

Seahawks are beating the Bears so that could speed up the process.:smile:

Atlanta Dan
01-13-2007, 08:03 PM

But Tone, Art Sr. bought the franchise for $500 or something like that in 1933. The Rooneys obviously have incurred debt since then, but they have nowhere near the debt servicing loads of those who have bought franchises in the last 20 years.

Under those circumstances, owning a NFL franchise with a mid-tier valuation ain't chump change.

MJ5150
01-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Hmmm.....I wonder aloud if some of Kevin Colbert is creeping into how the Rooneys are thinking. Colbert likes to find to find a guy on the cheap and watch him grow into a stud so he can say..."we signed that guy for peanuts back in the day"

Maybe the Rooneys are thinking the same? "Let's bring in this guy for pennies on the dollar, and when he turns into Cowher or Noll, everyone will think we are geniuses again".

Just a thought. What do you guys and gals think about that?

-Mike

Atlanta Dan
01-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Hmmm.....I wonder aloud if some of Kevin Colbert is creeping into how the Rooneys are thinking. Colbert likes to find to find a guy on the cheap and watch him grow into a stud so he can say..."we signed that guy for peanuts back in the day"

Maybe the Rooneys are thinking the same? "Let's bring in this guy for pennies on the dollar, and when he turns into Cowher or Noll, everyone will think we are geniuses again".

Just a thought. What do you guys and gals think about that?

-Mike

Well they need to pay more than an assistant gets, and with Capers signing today to remain as defensive coordinator at Miami for $8.1 million for 3 years ($2.6 million next year) the price keeps going up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2730315

The Capers signing may explain why the Rooneys cannot close a deal with Grimm or Whiz - their agent did not want to sign a deal for around what Capers will be getting.

Maybe they hould have swallowed their pride and signed Cowher last summer - if he would have taken $7 million per that now is what passes for a bargain in the NFL for a HC of his value.

tony hipchest
01-13-2007, 10:27 PM
The Capers signing may explain why the Rooneys cannot close a deal with Grimm or Whiz - their agent did not want to sign a deal for around what Capers will be getting.

Maybe they hould have swallowed their pride and signed Cowher last summer - if he would have taken $7 million per that now is what passes for a bargain in the NFL for a HC of his value. the year is still young, but as far as im concerned this post gets the football related post of the year award.

interesting thing about capers. many d- coords are reluctant to switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 or vice versa. alot who try, struggle (see mike zimmers with the cowboys). its one thing to be able to convert and coach it successfully, its completely different to be able to convert and TEACH it.

capers switched to the 4-3 this year and i think the dolphins were 4th in total d.

good job capers. you have earned your reputation, the respect, and now the cash you are making, and you havent even won a superbowl. go figure.

now onto cowher. all the talk of him considering retirement if he didnt win the sb in 05 was for negotiation purposes. he knew going into the 2nd to last year of his contract, if he didnt win it all, the new chief was gonna low ball him. as it turned out he did win it all and was still low balled.

buying the house? negotiation ploy. it was a sound investment while the market was down, that couldve easilly and quickly been sold for a profit. like he said, he is not burnt out, and he loves coaching. kaye would still be living in pgh if cowher was signed immediately after winning the sb. cowher woulda had a hell of a deal that made him happy, and in 3 years the rooneys woulda realized they made a hell of a deal when they looked at the bargain price they had bill locked up for.

now would any of this prevented the steelers from going 8-8 this season? i dont know but the uncertainty of cowhers status had to be a distraction to the players who loved playing for him. the sb hangover probably played a part, but no ammount of money couldve prevented the accident that almost took the startin qb's life. we will never know.

if there is an agent of the year award, i nominate cowhers. he accurately guaged the market and maximized his clients value. that is what a good agent gets paid to do.

Atlanta Dan
01-14-2007, 09:34 AM
I guess since the Rooneys would not meet Cowher's price he will be doing what he can to undermine the future competitiveness of the Steelers if this story on Gailey's interview in today's P-G is any indication:

Gailey, 55, was not among those scheduled for interviews until Cowher recommended him to Dan and Art Rooney the past week. When asked who he would hire for the job, Cowher gave them Gailey's name. They called Gailey on Wednesday and the interview was then set up.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07014/753748-66.stm

I know Cowher is busy with game plans and watching women's basketball in the fall, but he obviously has not been watching many Georgia Tech games for the last several years.

Yet another question arising from this process is whether Cowher recommended Gailey before he quit. My bet is yes, in which case why was the interview not scheduled until this past Wednesday? Ed.B. of the P-G speculates as follows:

Bringing in Gailey at the last minute also raises an issue. Were they not impressed with the interviews of Whisenhunt and Grimm? Gailey, if he were one of their prime candidates, should have been on their first list rather than as an afterthought.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07014/753766-66.stm

This hiring process could be a total disaster.

Big D
01-14-2007, 12:13 PM
I guess since the Rooneys would not meet Cowher's price he will be doing what he can to undermine the future competitiveness of the Steelers if this story on Gailey's interview in today's P-G is any indication:

Gailey, 55, was not among those scheduled for interviews until Cowher recommended him to Dan and Art Rooney the past week. When asked who he would hire for the job, Cowher gave them Gailey's name. They called Gailey on Wednesday and the interview was then set up.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07014/753748-66.stm

I know Cowher is busy with game plans and watching women's basketball in the fall, but he obviously has not been watching many Georgia Tech games for the last several years.

Yet another question arising from this process is whether Cowher recommended Gailey before he quit. My bet is yes, in which case why was the interview not scheduled until this past Wednesday? Ed.B. of the P-G speculates as follows:

Bringing in Gailey at the last minute also raises an issue. Were they not impressed with the interviews of Whisenhunt and Grimm? Gailey, if he were one of their prime candidates, should have been on their first list rather than as an afterthought.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07014/753766-66.stm

This hiring process could be a total disaster.

thats a very good point dan. I'm glad you brought that up. What if the steelers werent impressed with the interviews Whisenhunt and Grimm gave. Keep in mind both of these guys have been interviewed in the past and have not been given the chance to be a head coach yet. After interviewing Whisenhunt and Grimm they made calls to Sherman and Gailey. Thats a interesting tid bit. So maybe all of us worried that the steelers are being cheap has nothing at all to do with why a new coach hasnt been named yet.

DACEB
01-14-2007, 12:47 PM
I agree with everyone about Gailey, hell no. But what is the rush, don't we want the best candidate. As many have stated before, maybe the best candidate is not on our staff, Reviera, Tomlin.

Again, chill and show some faith :tt02:

Atlanta Dan
01-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Big D - I still think it is a salary squeeze play, with what Miami is paying Capers being the Rooneys latest problem; if Capers got $2.6 million per whomever the Dolphins hire will have to get more than that. Combine the Dolphins salary structure with what Petrino got and it looks like $3.5 - 4 million per is the new floor for NFL HC salaries - not exactly the price point the Rooneys thought they would be dealing with for a new HC when they were negotiating with Cowher last summer.

While the Falcons going with Petrino after Whiz interviewed might lead one to conclude Whiz does not interview well (my conclusion is that the Falcons organization is dysfunctional), Whiz did get a call back to Arizona, so he must not be that horrible at interviews. I think Grimm's problem is that everyone thinks he is going to the prom with the Rooneys so nobody else will ask him out.

stillers4me
01-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Grimm as HC and Gailey as OC? (didn't he do a couple of years with the Steelers in this position??) If current rumors are true, we not only need a HC but an OC as well. The Whiz to Arizona as HC).

Big D
01-14-2007, 01:09 PM
I think the steelers will end up going outside the organization. My money is on mike tomlin. I think the steelers will hire a minority and tomlin is a great young defensive mind.

Atlanta Dan
01-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Well with Whiz gone that certainly raises the odds of going outside the organization, which I have favored.

What troubles me is that with the add ons to the interview schedule it looks like the Steelers are not sticking to their original hiring plan (which they surely had ready before Cowher formally resigned). With Cowher having been effectively gone for months either they were going to hire in-house or have a more sweeping interview schedule set up from the get go.

If it was just about anyone other than Gailey I would be less concerned, but given his performance at Georgia Tech in general and mishandling of QB Reggie Ball in particular I am dumbfounded why he is regarded as someone you believe can come in and get Ben back on track.

Of course that assumes your hiring criteria include factors other than not going outside your budget for a HC hire.

Big D
01-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Well with Whiz gone that certainly raises the odds of going outside the organization, which I have favored.

What troubles me is that with the add ons to the interview schedule it looks like the Steelers are not sticking to their original hiring plan (which they surely had ready before Cowher formally resigned). With Cowher having been effectively gone for months either they were going to hire in-house or have a more sweeping interview schedule set up from the get go.

If it was just about anyone other than Gailey I would be less concerned, but given his performance at Georgia Tech in general and mishandling of QB Reggie Ball in particular I am dumbfounded why he is regarded as someone you believe can come in and get Ben back on track.

Of course that assumes your hiring criteria include factors other than not going outside your budget for a HC hire.

I still think they gave gailey an interview for a favor to cowher. And I dont think anything else will come out of this.

tony hipchest
01-14-2007, 02:44 PM
I think Grimm's problem is that everyone thinks he is going to the prom with the Rooneys so nobody else will ask him out.arizona calling whiz for a 2nd interview and not grimm suggests that whiz interviewed better.

however several years ago grimm told the bears he wanted to hire his own staff, which he probably told the cardinals. i think whiz has agreed to keep the curent cardinals defensive staff intact.

grimms insistance on doing it his way with his people may be a problem also.

Big D
01-14-2007, 02:46 PM
I thought that grimm got an offer from the bears?

tony hipchest
01-14-2007, 02:47 PM
I thought that grimm got an offer from the bears?he turned it down cause they wanted him to keep some of the staff already in place. he wanted to bring in his own people

Big D
01-14-2007, 02:48 PM
he turned it down cause they wanted him to keep some of the staff already in place. he wanted to bring in his own people

Makes you wonder who he had in mind.

SteelCzar76
01-14-2007, 02:57 PM
I think the steelers will end up going outside the organization. My money is on mike tomlin. I think the steelers will hire a minority and tomlin is a great young defensive mind.

Exactly.

Big D
01-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Exactly.

and the price tag for a 34 year old head coach wont be to high

tony hipchest
01-14-2007, 03:09 PM
and the price tag for a 34 year old head coach wont be to highlike they say "you get what you pay for"

what is his experience with the 3-4. i wasnt too impressed with his monday night defense against the pats. like ive said, theres a far cry between coaching in the NFC north and in the afc. hell even mike mccarthey was able to get the packers an 8-8 record in that division.

Big D
01-14-2007, 03:16 PM
like they say "you get what you pay for"

what is his experience with the 3-4. i wasnt too impressed with his monday night defense against the pats. like ive said, theres a far cry between coaching in the NFC north and in the afc. hell even mike mccarthey was able to get the packers an 8-8 record in that division.

he has no experience with the 3-4. He has great knowledge of the tampa cover 2. You can say you get what you pay for. But the saints didnt put up very much for sean payton. Same with the jets with mangini. And look at lovie smith, he is one of the lowest paid coaches in the nfl. So i dont know if I buy into that you get what you pay for.

SteelCzar76
01-14-2007, 03:20 PM
like they say "you get what you pay for"

Yes more often than not "you get what you pay for" Tone. But in my opinion NO first time Head Coach is worthy of a proven commodity's salary,....yet. (But once earned,...they should be duely compensated accordingly)

tony hipchest
01-14-2007, 03:26 PM
he has no experience with the 3-4. He has great knowledge of the tampa cover 2. You can say you get what you pay for. But the saints didnt put up very much for sean payton. Same with the jets with mangini. And look at lovie smith, he is one of the lowest paid coaches in the nfl. So i dont know if I buy into that you get what you pay for.i think lovie IS the lowest paid coach in the nfl. he had a huge resume of winning to back him up though when he was hired. im not sure what mangini or peyton are making, but i would say both of their resumes are a bit more accomplished than tomlin's.

Big D
01-14-2007, 03:28 PM
i think lovie IS the lowest paid coach in the nfl. he had a huge resume of winning to back him up though when he was hired. im not sure what mangini or peyton are making, but i would say both of their resumes are a bit more accomplished than tomlin's.

Peyton was actually fired as the giants offensive coordinator. And just to let you know mike tomlin coached with lovie smith in tampa.

Big D
01-14-2007, 03:35 PM
but i would say both of their resumes are a bit more accomplished than tomlin's.

take a look at this
Mike Tomlin is the current Minnesota Vikings Defensive coordinator.

Formerly Tomlin worked with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for five years from 2001 to 2005, where he worked as the defensive backs coach and coached players like Dexter Jackson & Ronde Barber. In 2002 he coached in Super Bowl XXXVII where the defensive backs had five interceptions, three of which were run back for touchdowns. In 2002 and 2005, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers had the lowest yards given up per game of any team in the NFL. The other three years Tomlin coached there the defense was never ranked worse than sixth in the NFL.

At Tampa Bay Tomlin coached alongside Tony Dungy, Monte Kiffin, and Rod Marinelli learning the Cover 2 defense that many people refer to as "Tampa 2" system. At Minnesota he has instilled this system but has blitzed much more than typical of the system, in order to utilize his player's strengths and pressure the quarterback more.

According to the St. Paul Pioneer Press: "Teams are realizing the Vikings aren't using the Tampa 2 too much. Sure, it's their base defense, but the Vikings mix in plenty of other schemes: Cover 1 (man-to-man coverage), a three-deep zone and zone blitzes. Really, the Vikings mostly use the Cover 2 in long third-down situations or when they're protecting a lead." [1]

When hired by the Vikings in 2006, some in the media questioned his experience and age. At only 34 years old, he would be the youngest defensive coordinator in the NFL. Some of the players he would be coaching were older than he was at the time he was hired and many had more experience in the NFL. He had played with Vikings safety Darren Sharper at the College of William and Mary.

While coaching he has stressed "big men running and small men hitting." Playing "attrition football," running after ball carriers "like our hair is on fire." And mimicking sharks who get "frenzied" whenever they smell "blood in the water." [2]

While the Vikings defense has been one of the top five ranked against the rush for most of the season, they have also been one of the worst five against the pass for much of the season.

Prior to joining the Buccaneers, Tomlin spent two seasons as the defensive backs coach at the University of Cincinnati (1999-00). In 2000, the Bearcats ranked eighth in the nation in interceptions and fourth in total turnovers. Tomlin also spent two seasons at Arkansas State, coaching wide receivers in 1997 and defensive backs in 1998. He spent the 1996 season as a graduate assistant at the University of Memphis. Tomlin began his coaching career as WR coach at Virginia Military Institute.

Tomlin was a 3-year starter at WR for William and Mary (1992-94) and finished his career with 101 receptions for 2,046 yards and a school-record 20 TD catches. He was a first-team All-Yankee Conference selection in 1994. Tomlin was a teammate at William and Mary with Vikings? Pro Bowl S Darren Sharper.

Big D
01-14-2007, 03:40 PM
at this stage of the steeler hiring process and with whiz bolting to arizona. Who do you all want to be the steelers next head coach?

tony hipchest
01-14-2007, 04:00 PM
(But once earned,...they should be duely compensated accordingly)

i wish that were the philosophy in regards to cowher.

but to address big d- i realize tomlin is a branch off the dungy coaching tree. but it was grudens knowledge of the raiders that had the biggest impact of the buc's sb win, not tomlin coaching the secondary. other than that win, the dungy coaching tree hasnt really produced. that is the difference between he and the likes of peyton (studied from parcells who is regarded as one of the great masterminds of the game), and mangini (who had plenty of tutelage under belichick). the dungys tree branches dont reach quite as far. this scares me:

While the Vikings defense has been one of the top five ranked against the rush for most of the season, they have also been one of the worst five against the pass for much of the season.

steelers run d is already great. it is our passing d that is lacking. i look at what the patriots did to his defense on monday night and it is awefully similar to what happened to the steelers vs. the patriots and the raiders in 2002 with tim lewis as the d coordinator.

at this point i really cant say what makes him more qualified than darren perry. maybe im just a bigger fan of the zone blitz 3-4 than the tampa bay cover 2. the 3-4 seems to be the wave of the future. im not ready to see our defense dismantled to convert. i dont want a head coach trying to teach something hes not familiar with. its not like he's dom capers or anything.

Big D
01-14-2007, 04:03 PM
i wish that were the philosophy in regards to cowher.

but to address big d- i realize tomlin is a branch off the dungy coaching tree. but it was grudens knowledge of the raiders that had the biggest impact of the buc's sb win, not tomlin coaching the secondary. other than that win, the dungy coaching tree hasnt really produced. that is the difference between he and the likes of peyton (studied from parcells who is regarded as one of the great masterminds of the game), and mangini (who had plenty of tutelage under belichick). the dungys tree branches dont reach quite as far. this scares me:

steelers run d is already great. it is our passing d that is lacking. i look at what the patriots did to his defense on monday night and it is awefully similar to what happened to the steelers vs. the patriots and the raiders in 2002 with tim lewis as the d coordinator.

at this point i really cant say what makes him more qualified than darren perry. maybe im just a bigger fan of the zone blitz 3-4 than the tampa bay cover 2. the 3-4 seems to be the wave of the future. im not ready to see our defense dismantled to convert. i dont want a head coach trying to teach something hes not familiar with. its not like he's dom capers or anything.

in tomlins defense. That viking pass defense has ranked toward the bottom for the past ten years.

MommyDoc
01-14-2007, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=Big D;205160]at this stage of the steeler hiring process and with whiz bolting to arizona. Who do you all want to be the steelers next head coach?[QUOTE]

Russ Grimm all the way!{as is fitting in Southmoreland Black and Red}:chicken: :tt02:

Well, somehow I don't have the formatting right, but the "Russ Grimm" was supposed to show up in RED

tony hipchest
01-14-2007, 04:21 PM
in tomlins defense. That viking pass defense has ranked toward the bottom for the past ten years.im not trying to knock him cause i dont like him or anything but if your main goal was to win a superbowl next year with the steelers rank these coaches most qualified to get it done with the personnel we currently have in place:

(my order)
cowher
grimm/whiz
lebeau
tomlin/perry

if the main goal is to just save some $$$ and hire the cheapest coach, then i agree, tomlin is probably the best candidate out there.

Big D
01-14-2007, 04:25 PM
im not trying to knock him cause i dont like him or anything but if your main goal was to win a superbowl next year with the steelers rank these coaches most qualified to get it done with the personnel we currently have in place:

(my order)
cowher
grimm/whiz
lebeau
tomlin/perry

if the main goal is to just save some $$$ and hire the cheapest coach, then i agree, tomlin is probably the best candidate out there.

heres a question for you all. Would the rooneys make one last attempt to lure cowher back for this upcomming season

Big D
01-14-2007, 04:30 PM
just to let you know tony. Whisenhunt got 2.5 million a year in arizona

tony hipchest
01-14-2007, 04:33 PM
heres a question for you all. Would the rooneys make one last attempt to lure cowher back for this upcomming seasonno.

i think they would rather go 1-15 for the next 10 years than pay what cowher will receive on the open market next season. cowher helped turned the steelers into a powerhouse and put alot of money into the rooneys pockets and added to the steelers value.

yet he wasnt even offered market value. cowher outplayed the value the rooney "philosophy" places on a head coach. im sure they wouldnt want to admit they were wrong.

Atlanta Dan
01-14-2007, 07:03 PM
just to let you know tony. Whisenhunt got 2.5 million a year in arizona

So he is making less than the defensive coordidnator for the Dolphins? Maybe Whiz doesn't interview well. :smile:

If he took $2.5 million, this confirms Whiz was told he was not the guy in Pittsburgh.