PDA

View Full Version : The Official Bill Cowher's Successor Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

SteelCzar76
01-14-2007, 07:24 PM
im not trying to knock him cause i dont like him or anything but if your main goal was to win a superbowl next year with the steelers rank these coaches most qualified to get it done with the personnel we currently have in place:

(my order)
cowher
grimm/whiz
lebeau
tomlin/perry

if the main goal is to just save some $$$ and hire the cheapest coach, then i agree, tomlin is probably the best candidate out there.

Personaly Tone i've always felt like Lebeau would be more respected and or revered by our current personal as oppossed to Whiz or Grimm.
But with that said,....in all honesty how many more years does he have left in him in regards to coaching ? (Though his only shortcoming,....it's considerable)
I also think Perry would definetly be a good look for us. But i don't think the Rooney's take him seriously at all for the position.
This leaves us looking at the following. Chan Gailey ("Oh,..heeeelll to the naw") no need to even explain.
Russ,....whom after careful deliberation on my part......i feel would be overly conservative and inflexible. (not to mention he's also a little "long in the Tooth")
Ron Rivera,....whom i could live with,...but i think lacks the level of passion for the game and fire of the the guy whom gets my final vote,......Mike Tomlin.

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Atlanta Dan
01-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Gailey to have second interview with Dolphins

The Associated Press and the Miami Herald also reported Sunday that Gailey, the Georgia Tech head coach, along with former Falcons head coach Jim Mora and Brian Schottenheimer will interview Monday and Tuesday for the position that opened when Nick Saban left for Alabama.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/gatech/stories/2007/01/14/0115techcoach.html

And I thought the Steelers coaching search strategy was puzzling :dang:

Maybe Marty can join his son at the Miami interview, or maybe Cowher can recommend Marty be interviewed for the Steelers job

SteelCzar76
01-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Gailey to have second interview with Dolphins

The Associated Press and the Miami Herald also reported Sunday that Gailey, the Georgia Tech head coach, along with former Falcons head coach Jim Mora and Brian Schottenheimer will interview Monday and Tuesday for the position that opened when Nick Saban left for Alabama.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/gatech/stories/2007/01/14/0115techcoach.html

And I thought the Steelers coaching search strategy was puzzling :dang:

Maybe Marty can join his son at the Miami interview, or maybe Cowher can recommend Marty be interviewed for the Steelers job

If i owned the Dolphins i'd offer coach Cowher the Top salary in the league and give the Rooneys the neccessary compensation. (Even if that included a 1st round pick)
Huizenga has stated that he wants to win "sooner rather than later". And who's better at getting the most out of players than Coach Cowher ? (with the exception of this season)
I know they have issues at QB (But look at the QB's coach Cowher has had to make due with over his tenure here and yet kept us very competitive for the most part).

I just don't understand a franchise's rationale for hiring a a guy who's already proved they don't have what it takes as a HC on the Professional level with another organization. ?

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Paul Pyrch
01-14-2007, 10:42 PM
:pissed: Obviously, it certainly looks like the Rooneys didn't want Whiz or they waited too long to make a decision. I hope this isn't a mistake on their part. Now, I hope they don't let Grimm get away by playing their waiting game. I also don't agree on Gailey and Cowher's recommendation should not have been taken into consideration. He made his decision..... now stay out of the picture and go watch your basketball games!!

OneForTheToe
01-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Money is always an issue with the Rooneys . However, clearly they didn’t want Whisenhunt.. If the numbers on Whisenhunt’s contract (2.5 per) are accurate, then I’d be pretty surprised if whichever coach the Steelers hire gets much less than that. I believe the Steelers next coach will be between 2 and 3 million.

I think Gailey will get the Miami job. It looks to me that Huizenga wants an offensive mind as the new HC. I’m not a Chan fan for a HC, but I do think he is a very good OC. Pus, Huizenga just stepped up big for the D with Capers

Who knows what will happen next. I’ll say it is going to come down to either Grimm or Tomlin.

MJ5150
01-15-2007, 01:27 AM
Whiz.....gone.....

Grimm.....would have been hired by now if they wanted him....if they are still looking at him, they are really disrespecting him by letting him flap in the wind while they interview guys like Chan Gailey. If I was Grimm, I'd throw my playbook at the Rooneys and walk out and get a job with someone we play next season.

The Steelers better NOT hire Mike Sherman. :banging:

I'll never stop liking the Steelers, but Mike Sherman will push me right to the limits.

-Mike

OneForTheToe
01-15-2007, 01:59 AM
Whiz.....gone.....

Grimm.....would have been hired by now if they wanted him....if they are still looking at him, they are really disrespecting him by letting him flap in the wind while they interview guys like Chan Gailey. If I was Grimm, I'd throw my playbook at the Rooneys and walk out and get a job with someone we play next season.

The Steelers better NOT hire Mike Sherman. :banging:

I'll never stop liking the Steelers, but Mike Sherman will push me right to the limits.

-Mike

How is it disrespecting Grimm to interview other candidates? Did they promise him that the job was either his or Whisenhunt's? This reminds me of how players think they are being disrespected just because someone has the audacity to pick the other team to win.

Baloney, it's been 10 days. It took around three weeks to decide on Noll's replacement. Maybe Cowher should have told the Rooneys off, when they had the audacity to make him wait a little before they gave him the job.

Look, I want Grimm as the coach. In addition, I think the Rooneys will be taking a big gamble if they reject both Grimm and Wizz. Still, the Rooney's don't owe Grimm not to look elswhere before making a decision, or to give him an answer within a week or so of his interview. The Rooneys get to run their own show.

At this point, where is Russ going to go? As far as I have read, he is not under serious consideration for any other head coaching jobs. He's under contract with the Steelers. Grimm has been involved in the NFL for a long time. My guess is he understands how things work.

Steel Pit
01-15-2007, 04:03 AM
I trust that the Ronney's will hire the right man. I'm pulling for any of the canidates over Grimm. Grimm hasn't proven that he's even remotely close to being head coach material.

I ask the Grimm supporters this, What has Russ Grimm done to convince you that he's head coach material? I'm serious, SCHOOL ME with your answers. I mean WOW, he's been our offensive line coach and was recently GIVEN the title of "assistant head coach". That's not impressing me. He's coaching our offensive linemen who have steadily declined for 2 seasons. What has this man done to impress you?

Hell Darren Perry is as viable a canidate for the head coaching position and better yet he's known as a Steeler rather than a Redskin. Why aren't any of us pulling for Perry? He carries the same damn credentials as Grimm.

Paul Pyrch
01-15-2007, 09:20 AM
Grimm most certainly has been considered for the HC job by at least two other teams. Just watch and see Grimm get a job if the Steelers don't want him. Forget Gailey, Tomlin....and certainly not Sherman! Maybe the Rooneys need to re-think their "bottom line". I wonder just what they are looking for.How is it disrespecting Grimm to interview other candidates? Did they promise him that the job was either his or Whisenhunt's? This reminds me of how players think they are being disrespected just because someone has the audacity to pick the other team to win.

Baloney, it's been 10 days. It took around three weeks to decide on Noll's replacement. Maybe Cowher should have told the Rooneys off, when they had the audacity to make him wait a little before they gave him the job.

Look, I want Grimm as the coach. In addition, I think the Rooneys will be taking a big gamble if they reject both Grimm and Wizz. Still, the Rooney's don't owe Grimm not to look elswhere before making a decision, or to give him an answer within a week or so of his interview. The Rooneys get to run their own show.

At this point, where is Russ going to go? As far as I have read, he is not under serious consideration for any other head coaching jobs. He's under contract with the Steelers. Grimm has been involved in the NFL for a long time. My guess is he understands how things work.

Big D
01-15-2007, 09:24 AM
I got a call from my brother last night. He lives in iowa. And he says that the hawkeyes are expecting that kirk ferenz will take over as the steelers head coach. If you think about it this could very well make sense. I think Ferenz could be waiting for all of his recruits to offically sign then he will come here and interview.

Atlanta Dan
01-15-2007, 09:45 AM
John Clayton at ESPN.com has this update this morning:

Russ Grimm remains one of the top candidates for the Steelers job, but he clearly has competition. Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera fits the Steelers strategy of taking top defensive assistants. It worked well with Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher. Plus, Rivera had a great interview with Steelers ownership. Chan Gailey will also be formidable competition for Grimm. The Georgia Tech head coach has worked in Pittsburgh, plus he has head coaching experience. Expect the Steelers to start figuring out their head coaching search by next Saturday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/lastcall?page=lastcall/week19

I realize that Clayton is writing on a deadline but if the line about expecting the Steelers to start figuring out their coaching search next weekend is not intended to be a shot at the Rooneys it should be.

Now it seems as if Sherman will not be brought in for an interview (maybe the Rooneys heard his price tag). Maybe the Rooneys are waiting for the Chargers to fire Marty.

Kermit
01-15-2007, 09:47 AM
I trust that the Ronney's will hire the right man. I'm pulling for any of the canidates over Grimm. Grimm hasn't proven that he's even remotely close to being head coach material.

I too trust they'll make the right decision. And personally, I don't think Grimm would be an awful head coach. That said...

I'm not too big on Hall of Famers (and potential Hall of Famers) getting head coaching jobs. Historically, they rarely work out, and I don't want to see that happen to the Steelers.

I'd rather get someone more like Noll or Cowher -- mediocre players. It's like something I heard Cowher say once, about how he thinks the less talented athletes make the better coaches later on.

I will, however, gladly take Grimm over Gailey or Sherman. But he's not my first choice.

ExtonSteelFan
01-15-2007, 09:50 AM
I think now that Whiz is gone, I'd like to see them give it to Ron Rivera. However, I wouldn't be unhappy if Grimm got it either. Adam Schefter on NFLN said something about the end of the week with a possible decision.

Big D
01-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Whisenhunt exit leaves Grimm atop Steelers' coach list
Monday, January 15, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mark Genito, Pittsburgh Steelers
Ken Whisenhunt accepted the job to become coach of the Arizona Cardinals yesterday.
Click photo for larger image.

More Coverage:

Bob Smizik: Grimm the logical choice for the Steelers' job

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russ Grimm became the leading candidate as the next Steelers coach when Ken Whisenhunt accepted the job to become coach of the Arizona Cardinals yesterday.

Mr. Grimm, the Steelers' assistant head coach and offensive line coach, could be named their head coach by the end of the week.

Mr. Whisenhunt, the Steelers' offensive coordinator, and Mr. Grimm were the top two candidates to replace Bill Cowher. Although three other coaches have been interviewed by the Steelers, it has long been considered a two-horse race between the team's top two offensive assistants.

The Steelers had not offered Mr. Whisenhunt or Mr. Grimm the job. They also were not given an opportunity to counter the job offer that Mr. Whisenhunt accepted from the Cardinals yesterday.

Arizona will officially announce Mr. Whisenhunt's hiring tomorrow.

The Steelers also have interviewed Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey and two defensive coordinators from NFC teams -- Ron Rivera of the Chicago Bears and Mike Tomlin of the Minnesota Vikings. By virtue of the Bears' beating the Seattle Seahawks in their playoff game yesterday, Mr. Rivera could not be hired until either Chicago loses next Sunday in the NFC championship game or until after the Feb. 4 Super Bowl.

The Steelers also asked and received permission from the Houston Texans to talk to Mike Sherman, that team's assistant head coach/offense, but an interview isn't expected to be scheduled.

Cowher last week recommended that the Steelers hire Mr. Gailey, and because of that Mr. Gailey was a late addition to the team's list of candidates and was interviewed on Saturday in Pittsburgh. However, he is not considered a viable candidate for the job.

The Steelers still could conduct a second round of interviews. If they do, Mr. Grimm and perhaps Tomlin would be those brought in. But for the Steelers to hire anyone but Mr. Grimm at this point would be considered a monumental upset. All of the Steelers' assistant coaches are under contract through next season and team officials want to keep the continuity of a staff they believe is among the best they've had on a team one year removed from a Super Bowl championship.

Because those coaches are under contract, Mr. Whisenhunt will be unable to bring many -- if any -- with him to Arizona. Mr. Grimm likely would promote wide receivers coach Bruce Arians to offensive coordinator, a job he once held in Cleveland. Mr. Grimm would have to hire a running backs coach to replace the retired Dick Hoak, a receivers coach to replace Mr. Arians and an offensive line coach to replace himself.

The Steelers may allow quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple to join Mr. Whisenhunt as his offensive coordinator in Arizona. That would create another opening for a quarterbacks coach with the Steelers.

Mr. Grimm, 47, a native of Scottdale who played at Southmoreland High School, began his coaching career under Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs with the Redskins in 1992, first as tight ends coach and later as offensive line coach under Norv Turner. He joined the Steelers as offensive line coach in 2001 and added the title of assistant head coach in 2004.

He played center at Pitt and was an all-NFL 1980s guard for the famous Hogs offensive line in Washington, where he earned three Super Bowl rings. He is a finalist for the 2007 Pro Football Hall of Fame class that will be chosen Feb. 3 in Miami. Last year, the football stadium at Southmoreland High School was named after him. He played quarterback and linebacker on the football team there, center on the basketball team and threw javelin on the track team.

Mr. Whisenhunt was an unqualified success as the Steelers' offensive coordinator after Mr. Cowher promoted him from tight ends coach to the job in 2004 when Mike Mularkey left to become head coach of the Buffalo Bills.

The Steelers slumped to 6-10 in 2003, and Mr. Cowher admitted he became much too enamored with the passing game. Mr. Whisenhunt made a determined effort to run the ball in 2004 and, because of an injury to starting quarterback Tommy Maddox in the second game, he was forced to start rookie Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers finished 15-1 that season as Mr. Roethlisberger went 13-0 as the starter, but lost in the AFC championship game to New England. Last year, the Steelers won the Super Bowl.

"Ken Whisenhunt is the kind of guy, even as a young kid when he was 18, he always had that look about him that he would accomplish anything he wanted to do," said ESPN commentator Bill Curry, who coached Mr. Whisenhunt at Georgia Tech. "Not only did he think that, he had the work ethic to follow through and do that. Whatever he set his sights on, you got the sense this guy is going to do it."

Mr. Whisenhunt becomes the fifth coach to go directly from Mr. Cowher's staff to an NFL head coaching job. Grimm would be the sixth

Big D
01-15-2007, 10:12 AM
out of that whole article this caught my eye the most
The Steelers also asked and received permission from the Houston Texans to talk to Mike Sherman, that team's assistant head coach/offense, but an interview isn't expected to be scheduled.
I think it's safe to say that he will be ruled out as our next head coach

OneForTheToe
01-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Grimm most certainly has been considered for the HC job by at least two other teams. Just watch and see Grimm get a job if the Steelers don't want him. Forget Gailey, Tomlin....and certainly not Sherman! Maybe the Rooneys need to re-think their "bottom line". I wonder just what they are looking for.

I agee he will get a HC job somewhwere in the future. My point was that he was not likely to get any offers over the next couple of weeks that would interfere with the Steelers time table. Atlanta and Arizona are filled. He is not presently in the running for the Miami job. Oaklnd doesn't count as a legitimate opening (Russ is too smart to take that job even if offered).

What is left? The Chargers? If Marty gets fired that job would open, but there is no indication that Russ would be on any short list for that job.

Big D
01-15-2007, 12:32 PM
collin cowherd just ripped us and the dolphins for interviewing gailey. he said he cant get 9 wins in the acc what makes the dolphins and steelers think he can win games at the nfl level. Hmmm

MJ5150
01-15-2007, 02:04 PM
How is it disrespecting Grimm to interview other candidates? Did they promise him that the job was either his or Whisenhunt's?

No promises were made to anyone....that you and I know of.

Well, when names like Chan Gailey and Mike Sherman start popping up as potential HC's, it is a shot at Grimm. Hey, it's only my black and gold stained opinion on the matter. Russ Grimm has been here, he knows the players, he knows the system, he wants the job. I don't want anyone who the Steelers need to convince to come here.

Steel Pit....Cowher did not show me anything either to prove he was worthy of coaching the Steelers or any NFL team. My reason for wanting Grimm is based on the comment that I made above....he's been around Steeler football. I also like the fact that he was a winner as a player, and he played OL.

-Mike

Big D
01-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Grimm front-runner for Steelers job
With Whisenhunt joining Cards, O-line coach has edge
Posted: Monday January 15, 2007 1:31PM; Updated: Monday January 15, 2007 1:40PM

Russ Grimm is a Pittsburgh-area native and former Pitt star, who won three Super Bowls as a Redskins offensive lineman.
AP

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Steelers were determined not to rush into hiring a new coach, even if it meant losing a top candidate to another NFL team.

After all, the Steelers have had two coaches in 38 years -- and both were Super Bowl winners. They didn't want to hastily fill what traditionally is the most stable coaching job in pro sports.

The Steelers' diligence in finding Bill Cowher's successor cost them offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, a move that leaves offensive line coach Russ Grimm as the clear front-runner. It also could mean the Steelers will have their new coach in place by the end of the week.

Whisenhunt, one of the NFL's top offensive coaches, took the Arizona Cardinals' job Sunday rather than waiting to see if he would be promoted by Pittsburgh. He will be officially introduced by the Cardinals at a news conference Tuesday.

While Whisenhunt was widely considered around the NFL to be Cowher's heir apparent, the Steelers gave no such indication after Cowher resigned Jan. 5. Also, they apparently didn't make a counteroffer to persuade Whisenhunt to stay.

Grimm also interviewed with the Cardinals, but unlike Whisenhunt, didn't get a second interview. Both met with the Miami Dolphins, who spoke for a second time during the weekend with Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey, but have yet to hire a coach.

Gailey also talked Saturday with the Steelers, who previously interviewed defensive coordinators Mike Tomlin of the Vikings and Ron Rivera of the Bears. The Steelers also received permission to meet with Houston Texans assistant head coach Mike Sherman, the other finalist in Arizona, but no interview has been scheduled.

Tomlin had an excellent interview with the Steelers and, like Cowher in 1992, is an on-the-rise candidate despite being only 34 and having minimal experience as an NFL coordinator. Tomlin took over the Vikings' defense this season.

Hiring Grimm, however, would provide the Steelers continuity from one coaching regime to another and would allow them to keep most of their assistant coaches. All are under contract for next season, but a coach hired from outside the organization would likely want to choose his own staff.

Even if Grimm takes over, Whisenhunt's departure is expected to create some changes in the Steelers' offense.

Whisenhunt may take quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple with him as offensive coordinator, meaning the two coaches who have closely worked with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger the last three seasons would be gone.

The 47-year-old Grimm, a Pittsburgh-area native and former Pitt star, won three Super Bowls as a Redskins offensive lineman. He is a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and has clearly had the respect of the Steelers in his six seasons as an assistant. He was also a Redskins assistant from 1992-2000.

Paul Pyrch
01-15-2007, 03:19 PM
I absolutely agree! Gailey is not the man for the Steelers job. What ticks me off is Cowher's recommendation. He has no right to recommend anyone, unless of course, the Rooneys asked him for a recommendation. As far as I'm concerned, Cowher got what he wanted and now should keep his mouth shut.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-15-2007, 03:30 PM

I ask the Grimm supporters this, What has Russ Grimm done to convince you that he's head coach material? I'm serious, SCHOOL ME with your answers. I mean WOW, he's been our offensive line coach and was recently GIVEN the title of "assistant head coach". That's not impressing me. He's coaching our offensive linemen who have steadily declined for 2 seasons. What has this man done to impress you?

Hell Darren Perry is as viable a canidate for the head coaching position and better yet he's known as a Steeler rather than a Redskin. Why aren't any of us pulling for Perry? He carries the same damn credentials as Grimm.

I wouldn't disapprove of Grimm. But to answer your question...not much.

Quite frankly. The play of the offensive line this season was not only average but they flat out sucked at times. I've learned to expect mediocrity from Max Starks. But poor play by Marvel Smith is perplexing at best.

So for the standard 'hot button' question "What have you done for me lately?" A perhaps unfair answer is that Russ Grimm took a Super Bowl caliber line and turned them into suspects.

Big D
01-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Jay Glazer just reports Russ Grimm will be named head coach of the steelers friday

Atlanta Dan
01-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Jay Glazer just reports Russ Grimm will be named head coach of the steelers friday

Why wait until Friday?

Big D
01-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Why wait until Friday?

who knows. But this is the third source i've heard or read this from.

Stlrs4Life
01-15-2007, 05:10 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07015/754018-66.stm

The Steelers announced today that they have narrowed their search for a head coach to three -- Russ Grimm, Mike Tomlin and Ron Rivera.

Grimm is their assistant head coach and line coach. Tomlin is defensive coordinator of the Vikings and Rivera defensive coordinator of the Bears.

Tomlin will have his second interview with the Steelers tomorrow. Grimm will be interviewed Wednesday. The Steelers cannot interview Rivera again until after the Bears either lose in the NFC championship game Sunday or until after the Feb. 4 Super Bowl.

Preacher
01-15-2007, 06:54 PM
WooooooooooooHooooooooooooooooooo

I am happy with any of them!!!!

Preacher
01-15-2007, 06:56 PM
I absolutely agree! Gailey is not the man for the Steelers job. What ticks me off is Cowher's recommendation. He has no right to recommend anyone, unless of course, the Rooneys asked him for a recommendation. As far as I'm concerned, Cowher got what he wanted and now should keep his mouth shut.

Completely off topic... but....

When I was a bit younger, I used to get very annoyed at peoploe that posted with such big letters, and in bolder colors.

Now... I am quite appreciative of people who do that!!! it is easier to read!

I guess I am getting old!

Atlanta Dan
01-15-2007, 06:58 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07015/754018-66.stm

The Steelers announced today that they have narrowed their search for a head coach to three -- Russ Grimm, Mike Tomlin and Ron Rivera.

Grimm is their assistant head coach and line coach. Tomlin is defensive coordinator of the Vikings and Rivera defensive coordinator of the Bears.

Tomlin will have his second interview with the Steelers tomorrow. Grimm will be interviewed Wednesday. The Steelers cannot interview Rivera again until after the Bears either lose in the NFC championship game Sunday or until after the Feb. 4 Super Bowl.

Unless the NFC Championship is rescheduled to this coming Thursday and Rivera is interviewed in the locker room after the Bears lose this would seem to be in tension with Jay Glazer's story that Grimm will be announced as the HC on Friday.

Thank God the bizarre Chan Gailey subplot has run its course.

A.M.
01-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Russ Grimm! Or I swear to God someone is going to suffer.

tony hipchest
01-15-2007, 07:50 PM
so were the interviews with chan an attempt to find a potential offensive coordinator. i dont know the rules of hiring a college head coach for a "lesser" position. does it have to be an upward or latteral movement?

dont know if this has been posted but mark whipple has been granted permission to interview with the cardinals for the o-coord position and whiz has been told he can assemble his own staff if he wants too.

Atlanta Dan
01-15-2007, 08:16 PM
so were the interviews with chan an attempt to find a potential offensive coordinator. i dont know the rules of hiring a college head coach for a "lesser" position. does it have to be an upward or latteral movement?

dont know if this has been posted but mark whipple has been granted permission to interview with the cardinals for the o-coord position and whiz has been told he can assemble his own staff if he wants too.

Appears Grimm said if he is hired he wants Arians as OC so Whipple is being turned loose to seek a promotion just as Whiz was turned loose last week after he apparently was told he would not get the Steelers HC job. Would hate to see the assistants drift away if the Steelers need to wait until after the SB to interview Rivera - one more reason I will be rooting for the Saints on Sunday.

SteelCzar76
01-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Something tells me the Rooney's have already made their choice.(In regards to whom will succeed Coach Cowher)

tony hipchest
01-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Appears Grimm said if he is hired he wants Arians as OC so Whipple is being turned loose to seek a promotion just as Whiz was turned loose last week after he apparently was told he would not get the Steelers HC job. Would hate to see the assistants drift away if the Steelers need to wait until after the SB to interview Rivera - one more reason I will be rooting for the Saints on Sunday.well, dumb assed bengalfans have been calling for b. bratkowski to be fired all year (not admitting it is their HC and thug players that are the source of the problem. if he were fired (which he wont be) i would be in favor of bringing him back to coach the wr's.

arians is the most qualified person on our staff to be OC and actually a move i thought woulda happened last year if whiz had accepted the raiders job.

kyflash15
01-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Ron Rivera, Mike Tomlin, and Russ Grimm.....

http://postgazette.com/pg/07015/754018-100.stm

polamalufan43
01-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Wow, they are dropping like flies. I just hope we find out soon... I'm getting tired of waiting...

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

kyflash15
01-15-2007, 08:34 PM
I think that we would know by the end of the week if the darn bears would have lost!

Go Saints!

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Ron Rivera, Mike Tomlin, and Russ Grimm.....

http://postgazette.com/pg/07015/754018-100.stm

I'd like to see Mike Tomlin. Seems he's due in tomorrow for his 2nd interview.

Preacher
01-15-2007, 10:29 PM
I just have a desire to see some fresh blood in the coaching position. And I like the fact that two of the three left are defensive coaches.

Kermit
01-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Between the three, I'm hoping Tomlin gets it.

While I'm not a big fan of change, let's face it -- we'll be dealing with changes sooner or later anyway. LeBeau won't be around forever, even if we do go with Grimm and he stays.

I'll admit, I'm not fond on possibly going from 3-4 to the Tampa 2, but it won't kill us. Besides; the 3-4 is losing its mystique with more and more teams using it.

Add in the fact Tomlin is a young defensive mind, and he's got my vote. I can easily see a younger coach sticking with us for a decade plus, while on the flipside, being in another coaching search much sooner should we go with an older candidate.

Just my 2?.

Preacher
01-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Between the three, I'm hoping Tomlin gets it.

While I'm not a big fan of change, let's face it -- we'll be dealing with changes sooner or later anyway. LeBeau won't be around forever, even if we do go with Grimm and he stays.

I'll admit, I'm not fond on possibly going from 3-4 to the Tampa 2, but it won't kill us. Besides; the 3-4 is losing its mystique with more and more teams using it.

Add in the fact Tomlin is a young defensive mind, and he's got my vote. I can easily see a younger coach sticking with us for a decade plus, while on the flipside, being in another coaching search much sooner should we go with an older candidate.

Just my 2?.

That about somes up the arguments I have been making for a while.

MommyDoc
01-16-2007, 01:47 AM
I am still 100% behind Russ....the players want to stay with someone they know, it would keep most of the same system and assts in place, and believe me.....you guys have not had a chance to SEE what this guy knows about football!!!! I promise you, he will be an AWESOME HC and despite being 47 yo will give the Steelers years of loyalty (his family is blessed with longevity). VOTE 4 RUSS

MJ5150
01-16-2007, 02:41 AM
.....you guys have not had a chance to SEE what this guy knows about football!!!!

I promise you, he will be an AWESOME HC......

And you have?

What is your promise based on? I'm not trying to start a fight, just wondering.

-Mike

MJ5150
01-16-2007, 02:42 AM
Something tells me the Rooney's have already made their choice.

Why do you think they are waiting? Are they looking to steal some headlines during the week of the SB?

-Mike

Preacher
01-16-2007, 04:01 AM
Since the three have been announced... I thought it best to put three "resumes" from Wikepedia here.

Preacher
01-16-2007, 04:02 AM
Mike Tomlin is the current Minnesota Vikings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Vikings) Defensive coordinator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_coordinator).
Formerly Tomlin worked with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers) for five years from 2001 to 2005, where he worked as the defensive backs coach and coached players like Dexter Jackson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_Jackson) & Ronde Barber (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronde_Barber). In 2002 he coached in Super Bowl XXXVII (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXVII) where the defensive backs had five interceptions, three of which were run back for touchdowns. In 2002 and 2005, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers) had the lowest yards given up per game of any team in the NFL. The other three years Tomlin coached there the defense was never ranked worse than sixth in the NFL.
At Tampa Bay Tomlin coached alongside Tony Dungy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Dungy), Monte Kiffin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Kiffin), and Rod Marinelli (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Marinelli) learning the Cover 2 defense that many people refer to as "Tampa 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_2)" system. At Minnesota he has instilled this system but has blitzed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitz_%28American_football%29) much more than typical of the system, in order to utilize his player's strengths and pressure the quarterback more.
According to the St. Paul Pioneer Press (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Press): "Teams are realizing the Vikings aren't using the Tampa 2 too much. Sure, it's their base defense, but the Vikings mix in plenty of other schemes: Cover 1 (man-to-man coverage), a three-deep zone and zone blitzes. Really, the Vikings mostly use the Cover 2 in long third-down situations or when they're protecting a lead." [1] (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15870034.htm)
When hired by the Vikings in 2006, some in the media questioned his experience and age. At only 34 years old, he would be the youngest defensive coordinator in the NFL. Some of the players he would be coaching were older than he was at the time he was hired and many had more experience in the NFL. He had played with Vikings safety Darren Sharper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Sharper) at the College of William and Mary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_of_William_and_Mary).
While coaching he has stressed "big men running and small men hitting." Playing "attrition football," running after ball carriers "like our hair is on fire." And mimicking sharks who get "frenzied" whenever they smell "blood in the water." [2] (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/774438.html)
While the Vikings defense has been one of the top five ranked against the rush for most of the season, they have also been one of the worst five against the pass for much of the season.
Prior to joining the Buccaneers, Tomlin spent two seasons as the defensive backs coach at the University of Cincinnati (1999-00). In 2000, the Bearcats ranked eighth in the nation in interceptions and fourth in total turnovers. Tomlin also spent two seasons at Arkansas State, coaching wide receivers in 1997 and defensive backs in 1998. He spent the 1996 season as a graduate assistant at the University of Memphis. Tomlin began his coaching career as WR coach at Virginia Military Institute.
Tomlin was a 3-year starter at WR for William and Mary (1992-94) and finished his career with 101 receptions for 2,046 yards and a school-record 20 TD catches. He was a first-team All-Yankee Conference selection in 1994. Tomlin was a teammate at William and Mary with Vikings? Pro Bowl S Darren Sharper.

Preacher
01-16-2007, 04:04 AM
Russ Grimm (May 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_2), 1959 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1959)) was an All-American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-America) center at the University of Pittsburgh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Pittsburgh), after which he was drafted by the Washington Redskins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins) in 1981 as a guard - a starting position he retained from 1981 until he retired following the 1991 season.

[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Russ_Grimm&action=edit&section=1)] NFL playing career

He was drafted in the third round by the Redskins in the 1981 NFL draft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_NFL_Draft). Along with Jeff Bostic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Bostic), Mark May (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_May), George Starke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Starke) and Joe Jacoby (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Jacoby), Russ Grimm was a founding member of the Redskins' renowned "Hogs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hogs_%28American_football%29)" offensive line of the 1980s and early 1990s (deemed one of the best front fives of NFL history), which was a mainstay of the Redskins' glory years during the first Joe Gibbs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Gibbs) era.
During his 11 seasons as the Redskins' starting guard, Russ Grimm helped lead his team to 4 Super Bowl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl) appearances and 3 Super Bowl victories (Super Bowl XVII (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XVII) in 1983, Super Bowl XXII (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXII) in 1988, and Super Bowl XXVI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXVI) in 1992). Along the way, Grimm was selected to 4 consecutive Pro Bowl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Bowl) appearances (1983 through 1986), and was also first team selection to the 1980s all-decade team.

[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Russ_Grimm&action=edit&section=2)] NFL Coaching career

After hanging up his player's cleats, Grimm returned to the Redskins as a tight end (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tight_end) coach (from 1992 through 1996, and offensive line (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offensive_line) coach from 1997 through 2000, during which he was instrumental in the development of tackles Chris Samuels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Samuels) and Jon Jansen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Jansen). After his coaching stint with the Redskins, Grimm joined the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Steelers) as offensive line coach in September of 2000. In 2004 he was promoted to Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line.
In 2004, after the Chicago Bears (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Bears) fired Dick Jauron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Jauron), Bears management considered Grimm as a top candidate for the job. The job eventually went to then St. Louis Rams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis_Rams) defensive coordinator Lovie Smith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovie_Smith).
In 2005, Grimm added another Super Bowl ring (totalling 4) to his resum? as part of the Pittsburgh Steelers' coaching staff (Offensive Line Coach).
On January 5, 2007, Bill Cowher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cowher) resigned as head coach of the Steelers. In the press conference that followed, Steeler's President Art Rooney II announced Russ Grimm (along with offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Whisenhunt)) as one of the candidates for the job.

Preacher
01-16-2007, 04:11 AM
Ron Rivera

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

//
[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ron_Rivera&action=edit&section=1)] Early years

Rivera was born to a Puerto Rican (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rican) father and a Mexican (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican) mother. His father joined the Army (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Army) and was a commissioned officer stationed in California where Ron was born. As a result of his father's military service, Rivera had to travel and was educated in military bases in Germany (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany), Panama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama), Washington (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington) and Maryland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland). Finally his family moved to central California where he attended Seaside High School. That's where he started playing football.
Rivera was granted a college scholarship (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholarship) and played for the Golden Bears at the University of California, Berkeley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_California%2C_Berkeley). He was an All-American linebacker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linebacker) who once held his school's all-time sack record and was first in career tackles. Rivera still holds the Cal record for most tackles for-a-loss in a season in 1983.

[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ron_Rivera&action=edit&section=2)] Sports career

In 1984, Rivera was a second round choice draft pick for the Chicago Bears (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Bears), becoming the first Puerto Rican to play in the NFL. In 1985, he played in Super Bowl XX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XX), which the Bears won and he thus became the first Puerto Rican to play in a Super Bowl Championship Team. Rivera played for the Bears for a total of nine seasons (1984-1992). Rivera also participated in the Super Bowl Shuffle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_Shuffle), a rap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop_music) music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music) video the Bears made.
In 1993, Rivera went to work for a WGN-TV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television) and SportsChannel in Chicago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago) as a TV analyst covering the Bears and college football. In 1996, he became the defense quality control coach for the Bears.
In 1999, Rivera was named linebackers coach for the Philadelphia Eagles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Eagles). During his tenure the Eagles advanced to the NFC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFC) (National Football Conference) Championships for three consecutive seasons. He is credited with developing linebacker Jeremiah Trotter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Trotter) into a two-time Pro Bowl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Bowl) performer.
On January 23, 2004, Rivera was named the Chicago Bears Defensive Coordinator, becoming the first Puerto Rican in the history of the NFL to hold such a position. In 2005, the Chicago Bears defense was rated #2 in the NFL. The Bears qualified for the NFC playoffs losing in the 2nd Round to the Carolina Panthers 29-21. The 2005 season output of the Chicago Bears has earned him consideration for Head Coach assignments from several NFL teams.
In 2006 the Bears defense was rated #5 in the NFL and #1 in the NFC. Mainly due to their defense the Bears won the NFC North Division Champions and advanced to the 2nd Round in the playoffs. The output of the Bears defense earned him consideration for a second year in a row for Head Coaching assignments. He was interviewed for vacant head coaching positions with the Arizona Cardinals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_Cardinals) and Pittsburgh Steelers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Steelers).

Preacher
01-16-2007, 04:12 AM
AFter reading these...

I have to say

Mike Tomlin. He is 34 years old, and has a great defensive resume. As long as he can pick up a good OC.. I would be happy.

83-Steelers-43
01-16-2007, 06:35 AM
For what it's worth, rumor (KDKA news) here is that Grimm already has the job and the media is just waiting for the official announcement from the Pittsburgh Steelers........

With Whisenhunt out, Grimm is clear front-runner
By The Associated Press
Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Assistant head coach Russ Grimm has emerged as the front-runner for the Pittsburgh Steelers' coaching job, a search that was narrowed to three finalists Monday after offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt left for Arizona.

The Steelers identified Grimm, a Pittsburgh assistant for six years, and defensive coordinators Mike Tomlin of the Minnesota Vikings and Ron Rivera of the Chicago Bears as the finalists. Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey is no longer being considered.

Grimm and Whisenhunt were believed to be the Steelers' top choices to replace Bill Cowher since the search began Jan. 5, but Whisenhunt will be introduced Tuesday as the Cardinals' coach. He accepted the job Sunday, apparently without the Steelers making a counteroffer to keep him.

Also Tuesday, Tomlin will be interviewed by Pittsburgh for a second time. Grimm's second interview will be Wednesday, while Rivera cannot speak to the Steelers again until the Bears are eliminated from the playoffs.

"We are pleased with the progress of our search to date," Steelers president Art Rooney II said Monday in a statement issued by the team. "We now will move into the second interview phase and we are confident that each of the candidates on our short list will be excellent head coaches in the NFL. It is our task to determine which one is the best candidate for the Pittsburgh Steelers at this point in time.

"Our time frame remains as it was in the beginning," he added. "We will conclude the search when we have found the best coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers."

Since Cowher resigned after 15 seasons, the Steelers have been determined not to rush into hiring a new coach. They have had two coaches in 38 years — and both were Super Bowl winners — and they didn't want to hastily fill what traditionally is the most stable coaching job in pro sports.

That diligence may have cost them Whisenhunt, who was widely considered around the NFL to be Cowher's heir apparent.

Grimm also interviewed with the Cardinals but, unlike Whisenhunt, did not get a second interview. The Steelers also received permission to meet with Houston Texans assistant head coach Mike Sherman, the other finalist in Arizona, but never scheduled an interview with him.

Tomlin had an excellent interview with the Steelers last week and, like Cowher was in 1992, is an on-the-rise candidate despite being only 34 and having minimal experience as an NFL coordinator. Tomlin took over the Vikings' defense this season.

Gailey, the Steelers' offensive coordinator in 1996 and '97 and Dallas' head coach for two seasons, was recommended to Rooney by Cowher. However, they didn't bring him back for a second interview after meeting with him Saturday in Pittsburgh.

Hiring Grimm would provide the Steelers continuity from one coaching regime to another and would allow them to keep most of their assistant coaches. All are under contract for next season, but a coach hired from outside the organization would likely want to choose his own staff.

Even if Grimm takes over, Whisenhunt's departure is expected to create some changes in the Steelers' offense.

Whisenhunt may take quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple with him as offensive coordinator, meaning the two coaches who have most closely worked with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger the last three seasons would be gone.

Such a move would clear the way for receivers coach Bruce Arians to become the offensive coordinator, but the former Temple coach did not work daily with Roethlisberger as Whipple and Whisenhunt did.

During an ESPN appearance Sunday, Roethlisberger said he hoped an offensive coach would replace Cowher.

"We just want a winner to come in, someone that's going to command all of our respect," he said.

The 47-year-old Grimm, a Pittsburgh-area native and former Pitt star, would appear to meet that criteria. A three-time Super Bowl winner as a Redskins offensive lineman, Grimm is a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and has clearly had the respect of the Steelers' players in his six seasons as an assistant with them. He was a Redskins assistant from 1992-2000.

Grimm has been the offensive line coach since joining the Steelers, and was given the title of assistant head coach three years ago after he was a finalist for the Bears' job.

While Grimm weighed about 275 pounds as a star lineman in the NFL, he does have a link to Roethlisberger. Grimm was a quarterback and linebacker at Southmoreland High School before being switched to the offensive line by former Pitt coach Jackie Sherrill.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_488670.html

SteelCzar76
01-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Why do you think they are waiting? Are they looking to steal some headlines during the week of the SB?

-Mike

It's just a simple matter of confirmation. (so to speak)

Big D
01-16-2007, 07:50 AM
I think some fans want a in house coach in fear of change. But with so many open positions at this point I dont think it matters.

Kermit
01-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Nothing against Grimm personally, but I really don't see him leading us to a Super Bowl (or being with us for a decade-plus).

If the Rooneys do choose Russ, then hopefully he'll prove me wrong. Just my instincts though.

I think some fans want a in house coach in fear of change. But with so many open positions at this point I dont think it matters.

I agree.

We'll be looking at changes with our linebackers over the next few seasons anyway, which really leaves the defensive line as the main thing that would undergo renovation earlier than expected (should we get Tomlin and adopt the Tampa 2).

Not too bad if you ask me. The changing of the guard is inevitable, so why not get it started now?

tony hipchest
01-16-2007, 10:18 AM
with this coaching search delay, the steelers looking for a basement priced candidate, and bringing in chan gailey, i became incredibly worried when i heard that the panthers fired dan henning :jawdrop:

Big D
01-16-2007, 10:28 AM
with this coaching search delay, the steelers looking for a basement priced candidate, and bringing in chan gailey, i became incredibly worried when i heard that the panthers fired dan henning :jawdrop:

I wouldnt say they are looking for basement pricing. I think any of the finalists are going to have more of a salary demand then Whisenhunt. And my guess is that the dolphins will hire Gailey over Mora.

Atlanta Dan
01-16-2007, 10:50 AM
It may be that they are locked into posturing over the Rooney Rule and need to give Rivera a second interview so they can congratulate themselves for giving second interviews to two (!) minority candidiates before announcing a hiring decision they decided to make around Labor Day.

As for Miami, the word in Atlanta is that Mora, Jr. is the front runner. That makes about as much sense as Gailey, which is to say it makes no sense whatsoever.

Big D
01-16-2007, 10:52 AM
It may be that they are locked into posturing over the Rooney Rule and need to give Rivera a second interview so they can congratulate themselves for giving second interviews to two (!) minority candidiates before announcing a hiring decision they decided to make around Labor Day.

As for Miami, the word in Atlanta is that Mora, Jr. is the front runner. That makes about as much sense as Gailey, which is to say it makes no sense whatsoever.

Yeah you think that good ol'e wayne would have learned from the Saban experience. Question now is whats going to happen if the washington huskie job opens up if they hire mora.

tony hipchest
01-16-2007, 11:07 AM
I wouldnt say they are looking for basement pricing. I think any of the finalists are going to have more of a salary demand then Whisenhunt. And my guess is that the dolphins will hire Gailey over Mora.i would go out on a limb to say the new steelers HC wont be ranked higer than the 27th highest paid coach in the league.

im thinking dan henning could put them in the bottom 2! :thumbsup:

Big D
01-16-2007, 11:16 AM
i would go out on a limb to say the new steelers HC wont be ranked higer than the 27th highest paid coach in the league.

im thinking dan henning could put them in the bottom 2! :thumbsup:

i'll take that bet. I bet the next steeler coach gets paid in the top 15.

OneForTheToe
01-16-2007, 01:37 PM
I just don't see the delay issue everyone keeps harping about. Is there some standard out there that 2 or 3 weeks is a long time to look for a new coach? If Cowher would have retired after last year, we wouldn't have even started looking until Feb. Didn't it take 3 weeks or so to find Noll's replacement. What was that slackers name? :wink02:

Yes Wizz is gone. But, if Rooney’s didn't want him anyway, we have yet to lose anything by this so called delay. Unless, fan impatients is now a legitimate factor in new HC searches.

Preacher
01-16-2007, 01:48 PM
I just don't see the delay issue everyone keeps harping about. Is there some standard out there that 2 or 3 weeks is a long time to look for a new coach? If Cowher would have retired after last year, we wouldn't have even started looking until Feb. Didn't it take 3 weeks or so to find Noll's replacement. What was that slackers name? :wink02:

Yes Wizz is gone. But, if Rooney?s didn't want him anyway, we have yet to lose anything by this so called delay. Unless, fan inpatients is now a legitimate factor in new HC searches.

Excellent post.

I prefer the Rooney's taking thier time to find a head coach. Remember all, we don't want them here for 2 years, we want them here for 20 years. So if it takes a couple of extra weeks, I say, go ahead, do what you need to.

And knowing the Steeler organization, for some reason I wouldnt be surprised if they are reviewing the tapes of the coaches defensive schemes (O Line for Grimm), the way the coaches interact with the players, etc. before they make the final call.

wv2kybohntr
01-16-2007, 02:54 PM
First off, this is my first official post to this site, but like all Steeler fans I have been discussing and attempting to predict the Rooneys next move. I can't blame Wiz for leaving because he has said all along he wanted the job with the Steelers, due to the lack of a counter offer and him simply accepting the coaching graveyard in the desert, I believe he was already told he was out of the running.
My next comment concerning the three remaing candidates and what everyone seems to be labeling a delay in decision is the fact that only one of the remaining three still has obligations of coaching over the next couple of weeks and I think the Rooneys, out of an agreement, are waiting to talk to Rivera and not making waves by announcing him as coach just before the championship and possible super bowl.
I also believe Grimm's "sure thing" declined greatly due to the less than spectacular line performance this year. If the line had performed weel, I believe he would have received the offer by now.

The thing to remember is let the Rooneys take all the time needed. Whomever they decide on will be a good choice and he will be around for quite a long time. I take longer than 2 weeks to decide on a used car, so I don't feel the Rooneys are going to make a another coaching decision on another head coach for another 15 years so they are weighing every angle to ensure the right decision. God knows they've had better success than I have on vehicles.

Big D
01-16-2007, 02:56 PM
welcome to the forum

Preacher
01-16-2007, 04:56 PM
First off, this is my first official post to this site, but like all Steeler fans I have been discussing and attempting to predict the Rooneys next move. I can't blame Wiz for leaving because he has said all along he wanted the job with the Steelers, due to the lack of a counter offer and him simply accepting the coaching graveyard in the desert, I believe he was already told he was out of the running.
My next comment concerning the three remaing candidates and what everyone seems to be labeling a delay in decision is the fact that only one of the remaining three still has obligations of coaching over the next couple of weeks and I think the Rooneys, out of an agreement, are waiting to talk to Rivera and not making waves by announcing him as coach just before the championship and possible super bowl.
I also believe Grimm's "sure thing" declined greatly due to the less than spectacular line performance this year. If the line had performed weel, I believe he would have received the offer by now.

The thing to remember is let the Rooneys take all the time needed. Whomever they decide on will be a good choice and he will be around for quite a long time. I take longer than 2 weeks to decide on a used car, so I don't feel the Rooneys are going to make a another coaching decision on another head coach for another 15 years so they are weighing every angle to ensure the right decision. God knows they've had better success than I have on vehicles.

HEY... What's with all the newbies come on here and posting things that make a lot of sense? :toofunny:

I agree with you a hundred percent. Grimm deep sixed his chances with the O line performance. Rooney has to wait, though I am leaning more in hopes of Tomlin now that I have read a bit more on them.

Hope to see you posting more!

83-Steelers-43
01-16-2007, 06:16 PM
For what it's worth, KDKA just stated that Tomlin in his still in his meeting with the Steelers. It is now going on four hours........

Big D
01-16-2007, 06:17 PM
For what it's worth, KDKA just stated that Tomlin in his still in his meeting with the Steelers. It is now going on four hours........

I have a feeling we are going to have an announcement tommorow

MJ5150
01-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Alright....I've prepared myself for a new HC from outside the organization. I have read plenty of opinions here at SF, I have read editorials in all the Pittsburgh papers. I feel like it will be a good thing to grab Tomlin or Rivera.

I really wanted Grimm just to keep the consistency of a "Steeler guy" as HC, but I understand the wisdom of grabbing a yound stud DC as a HC. I love defense more anyway!!

-Mike

SteelCzar76
01-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Alright....I've prepared myself for a new HC from outside the organization. I have read plenty of opinions here at SF, I have read editorials in all the Pittsburgh papers. I feel like it will be a good thing to grab Tomlin or Rivera.

I really wanted Grimm just to keep the consistency of a "Steeler guy" as HC, but I understand the wisdom of grabbing a yound stud DC as a HC. I love defense more anyway!!

-Mike

Mike Tomlin.

MommyDoc
01-16-2007, 07:42 PM
And you have?

What is your promise based on? I'm not trying to start a fight, just wondering.

-Mike

I've known the guy since 1972 (when my family moved from Clev. to Scottdale), and know his parents, brothers and sister......

Kermit
01-16-2007, 10:35 PM
From Steelers.com (http://news.steelers.com/article/73508/):

"I'm a fundamentalist, as opposed to scheme," said Tomlin. "Football is a tough man's game, it's an attrition game. You win by stopping the run and by being able to run the ball effectively. And doing the things that winners do: Being a detail-oriented football team, playing with great passion and executing.

Everything I read about this guy just gets better and better.

WWIIOwheelz
01-16-2007, 10:49 PM
I have a feeling Tomlin will be the guy.

MommyDoc
01-16-2007, 10:51 PM
I have a feeling Tomlin will be the guy.

TURNCOAT!:pissed:

tony hipchest
01-16-2007, 11:57 PM
TURNCOAT!:pissed::chuckle: you better hide the frying pans and rolling pins, wheelz

Black@Gold Forever32
01-17-2007, 12:00 AM
I like Mike Tomlin. True his experience of being a DC for only one year is a concern. But he sounds like a Steelers kind of guy for the HC job.

tony hipchest
01-17-2007, 12:19 AM
i cant really knock mike tomlin. im just worried hes the flavor of the month. so far the biggest qualifications i hear is that he id young, a defensive guy, and an outsider. sure weve struck gold with that formula twice in 30+ years but theres got to be more than just that. a team that wins 2 superbowls in 30 years with 25 years in between isnt regarded as a dynasty, and the former coach has no bearing of the latter coach.

my point is just cause we had success with that simple formula twice in 37-38 years doesnt mean the 3rd time will be a charm too.

again, i dont know, and i cant knock the guy as a serious candidate, it just seems this years potential coaching class reminds me alot of last years wide receiver class. is he tomlin a sinorice moss/ chad jackson? or is he a marques coulston?

it seems the safest and most logical choise (santonio holmes) is already on our roster. that is why i have favored keeping it in house. grimm and whiz have been hot commodities for several years. theyre not just flavors of the month.

OneForTheToe
01-17-2007, 12:25 AM
I'm curious. Why are some assuming that a coach in his mid thirties is necessarily going to have a longer tenure than one in his mid forties? Realistically, how long is the next coach going to be here? We are probably talking about a coaching term of 10 to 15 years - if things go well. Sorry, even for the Steelers, I think the days of the 20 year plus terms are over. I just can't see any successful coach in the burgh signing more than two contract extensions. By the time we get to the second or third extension, if we continue to win, I think we are out of the Rooney's budget for coaches.

Just wondering ........ I will be happy with Tomlin or Grimm (not sold on Rivera) so the age is not that relevant to me.

58Lambert
01-17-2007, 12:53 AM
Hi there fellow Steeler fans,
This is my very first post, but I have been reading for awhile now. All 3 HC finalists seem to be quality coaches, but I'm definitely not sold on Tomlin yet. As previously stated by some others on this Board and by this season's results, his run defense may be excellent, but his pass defense this past year has sucked. The Vikes got killed by the Pats this season 31-7, they also allowed 41 points to the Rams, and they gave up a combined 37 points in both games to the Lions. From his track record, it doesn't seem like he can add/improve upon our poor pass defense.
I'd rather see either Grimm or Rivera as the HC.

Preacher
01-17-2007, 01:24 AM
Hi there fellow Steeler fans,
This is my very first post, but I have been reading for awhile now. All 3 HC finalists seem to be quality coaches, but I'm definitely not sold on Tomlin yet. As previously stated by some others on this Board and by this season's results, his run defense may be excellent, but his pass defense this past year has sucked. The Vikes got killed by the Pats this season 31-7, they also allowed 41 points to the Rams, and they gave up a combined 37 points in both games to the Lions. From his track record, it doesn't seem like he can add/improve upon our poor pass defense.
I'd rather see either Grimm or Rivera as the HC.

I understand what your saying. However, the problem I have with Grimm is that he has not ran a whole offense or defense. Just a part of it. ANd when you look at that part, well, the O line didn't do well this year. Plus, it may be that he knows the players a little too well.

I wouldn't mind Rivera. However, he doesn't have that much experienc eeither.

Yet, the problem with Tomlin is his pass defense. Yeah, with the Steelers pass D last year, I am scared of it getting worse.

So I guess every choice has problems... but it also has upside. I do like the fact that Tomlin is not tide to one specific scheme, but will adjust to the players.

SansWetware
01-17-2007, 03:22 AM
The words detail orientedand executing are what pop out at me in the Tomlin quote. Those are the kinds of things that get me excited for a young HC prospect.

Infamix
01-17-2007, 08:15 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

OK not the most reliable source but still....

http://www.profootballtalk.com/MartyBath.jpg

martyball is what it is...don't think he will be a top choice even if he is interviewed

83-Steelers-43
01-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Major changes could follow if Tomlin gets Steelers head coach job
Wednesday, January 17, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Tony Dungy learned his craft playing for the Steelers in the 1970s and as the NFL's youngest defensive coordinator in the 1980s. What developed from that was the famed Tampa Bay Cover-2 defense, which right now has helped Dungy's Indianapolis Colts reach the AFC championship game.

Yesterday, Steelers officials interviewed a devotee of that defense who possibly could be their next head coach. Mike Tomlin learned it at the knee of Dungy, who learned it at the knee of Chuck Noll and his defensive staff.

"If you listen to coach Dungy, he'll remind you of that," Tomlin said after he finished his second interview with the Steelers, which lasted about 3 1/2 hours and stretched into the early evening. "A lot of people refer to it as Tampa 2, and he's always one to cite his sources. He reminds you of that."

Tomlin was the first of three finalists interviewed for the second time. Next up: Russ Grimm, the Steelers' assistant head coach and offensive line coach. He will have his second interview today. Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, the other finalist, cannot be interviewed again until his team's season ends, either Sunday or in the Super Bowl Feb. 4.

Wholesale changes could be made to a team 11 months removed from a Super Bowl championship if Tomlin is hired as its head coach.

Tomlin has coached the 4-3 defense in Minnesota, relying heavily on that Cover-2 philosophy he learned under Dungy at Tampa Bay. The Steelers have run the 3-4 defense since 1983, when Chuck Noll abandoned the four-man front that became famous as the Steel Curtain in the 1970s.

Bill Cowher kept the 3-4, although in a different form, after he was hired as coach in 1992.

"I think it would be premature for me to comment specifically on personnel or personnel issues. I'd like to get the job first," Tomlin said.

But he did say he's not tied to one defense, that he prefers to put the players in whatever system he feels best suits them.

"I'm a fundamentalist as opposed to scheme. I think football is a tough-man's game, it's an attrition game. You win by stopping the run and being able to run the ball effectively-- and doing the things winners do, being a detailed-oriented football team, playing with great passion and executing."

It's unknown what would become of someone such as defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, the Steelers' zone-blitz impresario, under a Tomlin regime.

All the Steelers' assistant coaches are under contract, and many of them likely would remain in place if Grimm were hired. Tomlin, though, might want to bring his own coaches with him.

"I think regardless of who they hire to be head coach they expect him to lead, and part of leading is being prepared to do things that you feel strongly about," Tomlin said. "I'm no different than anyone else in that regard."

All the Vikings' assistants also are under contract through next season, so Tomlin could not offer them jobs without Minnesota releasing them.

Tomlin, 34, is the same age as Bill Cowher was when he was hired as the coach in 1992, and, like Cowher, would be 35 before the next season started. Chuck Noll had just turned 37 when the Steelers hired him in 1969.

"Those that support me make sure that I understand that," Tomlin said. "But they're looking for a football coach. That's what I consider myself. My age is my age. They don't put an asterisk by the wins or loses on Sunday. You play to win."

Tomlin, who was born in Hampton, Va., and played wide receiver at William & Mary, began his coaching career at VMI in 1995. He coached at Memphis, Arkansas State and Cincinnati before joining the pro ranks in 2001 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers under Dungy, then Jon Gruden. He left the Buccaneers as their secondary coach last year to become the defensive coordinator of the Vikings under new coach Brad Childress.

His first defense in Minnesota ranked eighth overall -- No. 1 in the league against the run but tied for last against the pass as the Vikings went 6-10. Their 30 sacks ranked below the league average of 36.4.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07017/754295-66.stm

Elvis
01-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Good morning to all and I hope that you are having a great day. I am sittin' here watching Super Bowl XL just remembering what last year was really like and just realizing how much I miss our Steelers in the playoffs. But you know what? Next year.. not matter who is the coach we have a very good chance at coming here having a very good draft and having alot of success pretty much the same team that won the Super Bowl last year. Dont give up hope you guys/gals.. we are Gonna Be Back Next year.!!!:wave:

83-Steelers-43
01-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Scheme not an issue to Tomlin
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Mike Tomlin, a disciple of Tony Dungy's "Tampa 2" defense and a fast riser in the Steelers' coaching search, said all the right things following his second interview for Bill Cowher's vacancy.

Tomlin sounded like he'd be perfectly comfortable incorporating the style he learned in five seasons as defensive backs coach with the Buccaneers and applied in his first year as Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator with the Steelers' 3-4 defensive principles.

"I believe that part of coaching is being able to do what your guys do and do well,'' said Tomlin, who met with Steelers bosses for about 3 1/2 hours Tuesday at the team's South Side practice facility. "You have to be flexible, and I've always taken that approach.''

It was Tomlin's second interview with the Steelers, the first in the second round of interviews with the team's three finalists. Today, the team will meet again with in-house candidate Russ Grimm, an offensive line/assistant head coach under Bill Cowher.

The Steelers can't officially talk to their third finalist, Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, until the Bears' season is over. Chicago hosts New Orleans on Sunday in the NFC Championship Game.

Tomlin used yesterday's interview to state his case for the Steelers job and, perhaps, to discuss a contract, which is standard procedure for a second interview.

"Whatever it takes for them to get to know me and what I stand for as a coach, I'm willing to do,'' Tomlin said. "They're looking for a football coach. That's what I consider myself. My age is my age.''

Even though Grimm still appears to be the front-runner, Tomlin has come out of nowhere to show why, at 34, he appears poised and mature beyond his years.

Like Cowher in 1992, Tomlin, who also interviewed for the Miami Dolphins vacancy, is considered an up-and-coming coach.

Tomlin drew raves this season when Vikings coach Brad Childress gave him almost-total control of the defense.

In his first year as defensive coordinator at any level, Tomlin took the Vikings' defense from 21st in the league a year ago to No. 8 in 2006, including No. 1 against the run.

Tomlin just completed the first year of a three-year contract paying more than $750,000 a year.

According to the NFL Coaches Association, the average salary for defensive coordinators in 2006 was around $740,000.

Tomlin and Rivera coach the Tampa 2 defense popularized by Dungy, now the Colts' coach, and Bears coach Lovie Smith when both were at Tampa Bay. This season, Kansas City, Buffalo, Detroit and Minnesota adopted the Tampa 2.

The Tampa 2 is a variation of the Cover 2 that features a zone pass defense and a run defense in which each player is responsible for a gap.

The Cover 2 installed by Dungy at Tampa Bay in the 1990s had its origins in the Steelers defenses of the 1970s, when Dungy played defensive back under coordinator Bud Carson.

"If you listen to Coach Dungy, he reminds you of that,'' Tomlin said of the coach who hired him to coach Tampa Bay's defensive backs out of the University of Cincinnati. "He's always one to cite his sources.''

Spreading scheme

Here's a look at the teams that play the Tampa 2 defense and how they ranked in total defense in the regular season:

Team - Coach - NFL rank

Chicago - Lovie Smith - 5

Minnesota - Brad Childress - 8

Kansas City - Herman Edwards - 16

Tampa Bay - Jon Gruden - 17

Buffalo - Dick Jauron - 18

Indianapolis - Tony Dungy - 21

Detroit - Rod Marinelli - 28

The concept of the Tampa 2 is to prevent the big play by keeping everything in front of the safeties. The Tampa 2 doesn't call for a lot of blitzing, unlike the Steelers' current 3-4 alignment.

The Tampa 2 typically uses four linemen and three linebackers, as opposed to a 3-4 formation, which uses three linemen and four linebackers.

The Steelers' current roster was designed to play a 3-4. Tomlin, who has coached only the Tampa 2 in six NFL seasons, said it's too early to discuss the Steelers' personnel and schemes. He did say it's important to allow players to play to their strengths.

"I'm a fundamentalist as opposed to scheme,'' Tomlin said. "I think that football is a tough man's game. You win by stopping the run and being able to run the ball effectively and doing the things that winners do. Being a detail-oriented football team. Playing with great passion and executing.''

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_488918.html

Big D
01-17-2007, 10:52 AM
with all the recent reports about tomlin the past 24 hours what do you all think?

83-Steelers-43
01-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Well, having a four hour interview is normally a good thing for the person being interviewed. I was wrong when I said Whiz woud be the next coach (along with a good majority of Pittsburgher's), but I think Tomlin is the man. Just a guess on my part.

To tell you the truth, all three are fine by me at this point. I'm not going to take the bridge if they pick Grimm or Rivera. But I like the fact that Tomlin is a young guy. Personally, I'm not one who is scared of change. In house is not always the answer. He seems like a players coach but at the same time he knows how to lay down the law. I like what he did in Tampa Bay. Also, his past experience coaching DB's will help this team immensely in my opinion.

Big D
01-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Well, having a four hour interview is normally a good thing for the person being interviewed. I was wrong when I said Whiz woud be the next coach (along with a good majority of Pittsburgher's), but I think Tomlin is the man. Just a guess on my part.

To tell you the truth, all three are fine by me at this point. I'm not going to take the bridge if they pick Grimm or Rivera. But I like the fact that Tomlin is a young guy. Personally, I'm not one who is scared of change. In house is not always the answer. He seems like a players coach but at the same time he knows how to lay down the law. I like what he did in Tampa Bay. Also, his past experience coaching DB's will help this team immensely in my opinion.

I"m not scared of change myself. The fact of the matter is this was a 8-8 team. So maybe change is for the best.

tony hipchest
01-17-2007, 11:31 AM
with all the recent reports about tomlin the past 24 hours what do you all think?this is the only thing that concerns me:

Here's a look at the teams that play the Tampa 2 defense and how they ranked in total defense in the regular season:

Team - Coach - NFL rank

Chicago - Lovie Smith - 5

Minnesota - Brad Childress - 8

Kansas City - Herman Edwards - 16

Tampa Bay - Jon Gruden - 17

Buffalo - Dick Jauron - 18

Indianapolis - Tony Dungy - 21

Detroit - Rod Marinelli - 28

The concept of the Tampa 2 is to prevent the big play by keeping everything in front of the safeties. The Tampa 2 doesn't call for a lot of blitzing, unlike the Steelers' current 3-4 alignment. :wave: blitzburgh???

the top 10 Tampon 2 teams play in the nfc north. it seems like a "stop the bleeding" defense to me. :chuckle: (sorry, had to make a bad joke.)

anyways all the others are mid pack and there is no afc team in the top 10. its easy to say thae afc as a whole DOMINATES the nfc, let alone the nfc north. take some of the top afc defenses any you find the ravens, chargers, patriots running some variation of the 3-4. all were looked at as top teams in the playoffs and any of the 3 would be favorites against ANY team in the nfc (including the bears) for the superbowl.

in the past 2 years, these defenses havent been able to stop afc powerhouse teams (which will be our main competition). are we gonna trade in something that has been so successfull just because the guy is 35 and a "change". i dont mind change, as long as its not change just for the sake of change.

"change? dont talk to me about change...change? are you kidding me? change?" -jim mora

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2007, 11:40 AM
This team will basically be together for 1 more year and then facing some major turnover -I favor an outsider for that house cleaning.

The Pats have shown that with a basic core that includes a topshelf QB you can move a lot of secondary pieces around and stay competitive in a salary capped league.

If Tomlin or Rivera comes in I think LeBeau will go, but the D had a significant drop off this year; this team underperformed significantly and all of the blame cannot be laid off on Ben and Cowher - with the offensive drop off in general and O-line play in particular both Whiz and Grimm are less compelling HC choices than they were last February. So losing assistants is not an unmitigated disaster.

After Marty is fired I think Cameron will step in so that opening should not pull Tomlin away and I think Jones will push for Parcells to stay so Dallas can enter the Cowher Sweepstakes in 2008. Miami is engaged is a delusional contest between Mora, Jr., Gailey, and (apparently) Mike Shula.

Bottom line is I do not see much risk of Tomlin or Grimm going elsewhere while Rivera is unavailable to be interviewed. Biggest downside to delay is that other teams may take assistants Rivera or Tomlin may want if a new outside HC wants major coaching turnover.

stlrtruck
01-17-2007, 11:42 AM
After all these years of greatness, why would the Rooney's want to risk us being the laughing stock of the playoffs.

I can see it now from around the league. "Hey Steelers, great season, too bad you couldn't do anything in the playoffs!"

83-Steelers-43
01-17-2007, 11:46 AM
The fact of the matter is this was a 8-8 team. So maybe change is for the best.

A little cleaning house is not always a bad thing.

In the long run, it seems to me that people will find something they don't like about all three of these candidates and they will find something they do like about all three of these candidates. That's why I don't put much stock into what the media or anybody else for that matter has to say when it comes to the final decision. Don't get me wrong, I'm interested in hearing the differing opinions, but at the end of the day their guess is as good as anybody elses.

The only one I'm skeptical about is Rivera. Not so much his past accomplishments and what he brings to the table, but how much longer can this team afford to wait before they sign a HC? I have no problem with a team taking their time with this type of decision, but I'm not sure we want to wait until Rivera is either knocked out of the playoffs or after the Super Bowl to hire a HC. Maybe I'm just being a little impatient/paranoid?

Big D
01-17-2007, 11:51 AM
A little cleaning house is not always a bad thing.

In the long run, it seems to me that people will find something they don't like about all three of these candidates and they will find something they do like about all three of these candidates. That's why I don't put much stock into what the media or anybody else for that matter has to say when it comes to the final decision. Don't get me wrong, I'm interested in hearing the differing opinions, but at the end of the day their guess is as good as anybody elses.

The only one I'm skeptical about is Rivera. Not so much his past accomplishments and what he brings to the table, but how much longer can this team afford to wait before they sign a HC? I have no problem with a team taking their time with this type of decision, but I'm not sure we want to wait until Rivera is either knocked out of the playoffs or after the Super Bowl to hire a HC. Maybe I'm just being a little impatient/paranoid?

I agree. I think that if the bears win this weekend that we should rule rivera out. I also think the nfl should change there policy where coordinators are concerned. Look how many jobs coordinators have lost out on because they were in a playoff run.

klick81
01-17-2007, 11:55 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

OK not the most reliable source but still....

http://www.profootballtalk.com/MartyBath.jpg

martyball is what it is...don't think he will be a top choice even if he is interviewed

That's a hilarious picture! Hell no...no way.

coachspeak33
01-17-2007, 11:59 AM
this wont happen as long as the Rooneys havent relocated to SIBERIA

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2007, 12:12 PM
As I recall, it was Capers being hired by the Panthers during the Steelers 1994 playoff run that resulted in limitations on contacting assistants of teams in playoffs.

If you need a new HC it is a problem, but since the purpose supposedly is to win it all rather than help assistants get better jobs the need to at least keep up the appearance of assistants working for their current employer (rather than interviewing for HC jobs and, if hired, worrying about putting a staff together) is a necessary trade-off for the impact on interview possibilities.

wv2kybohntr
01-17-2007, 12:18 PM
I still believe the Rooneys are seriously considering an outside HC. I like the idea of change because it forces every member of the team to "earn" their job all of over again and pushes them to keep that starting position every game.
I believe WE experienced so many issues on both sides of the football in 06 that I believe the Steelers would benefit from new blood as HC and new motivation through competing for a starting position. I believe good selections in the draft will force veterans to step up their performance.
That being said, I believe Pittsburgh must maintain what has made them what they are: a smash mouth running game and BLITZBURGH defense. I also believe the O line and giving up the big play in the secondary will be the first concern of the new HC. Why can't Tomlin mix in Tampa 2 and 3-4 on defense?

58Lambert
01-17-2007, 12:46 PM
One interesting stat I found from this regular season was comparing the stats of Colts and the Vikes defenses (since Tomlin coached under Dungy)… they’re defenses totally flip-flopped in the defensive categories (rushing and passing). That is, the team stats indicate that the Vikes were first against the run and last against the pass. The Colts were 2nd against the pass and last against the run. The Bucs defense with Monte Kiffin were pretty much in the middle of the pack in both categories. I’d have to give some credit to Tomlin for what he did in Minnesota taking a defense that was 21st a year ago and making them 8th overall in just one year, not shabby at all. Tomlin’s defense does work, but you need the players also. I think we need to draft another LB (Paul Posluszny) and a shut-down corner, hopefully that won’t be too much to ask for. Ok, I’ll settle for just Paul Posluszny. Hey, did I mention I want to draft Paul Posluszny?!

rags1336
01-17-2007, 02:44 PM
I am writing this at 2:50 Pittsburgh time. Grimms interview was set to begin at 10am, the media did not see him enter the building, there was speculation he could have entered through a rear entrance to avoid the media. At this time there is no word that the interview was completed, Ive checked all the local media sites, and there are absolutely no updates. Either Grimm is in his 5th hour of the interview, the Steelers offered him the position and they are working out the contract, he never showed, or they told him not to come in because they offered Tomlin the position. But there is definatly somthing going on. Has anyone seen an update?

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Maybe AJR II and Grimm decided to go over to Station Square to drink lunch

rags1336
01-17-2007, 02:55 PM
I got an update from Jim Wexell, Grimm is in the building and is being interviewed for this long. There was a break for lunch, during the break Colbert talked about Hockey, Dan Rooney noded his head once, and Art II did not comment.

58Lambert
01-17-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm very curious where this leaves Rivera. If the Bears win again this weekend, will the Steelers be willing to wait to interview him after the SB? That would prolong this probably for another 3 more weeks. If they've already decided that Tomlin is their new HC, then I don't see them wasting time waiting on giving Rivera a second interview. :dang:

Buzz05
01-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Through out this whole process I have felt like a 10 year old the night before Christmas. I just want to see what happens. I dont think Rivera is in the running right now, its down to Tomlin and Grimm but I just want to see who it is.. the waiting is killing me!

Big D
01-17-2007, 03:11 PM
remeber, reports on monday said the steelers were going to name Grimm head coach on friday.

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm very curious where this leaves Rivera. If the Bears win again this weekend, will the Steelers be willing to wait to interview him after the SB? That would prolong this probably for another 3 more weeks. If they've already decided that Tomlin is their new HC, then I don't see them wasting time waiting on giving Rivera a second interview. :dang:

Once they tagged Rivera as one of the three finalists I think they are stuck waiting to interview him. If they simply go ahead and make the hiring decision without having Rivera back then they are going to be accused of penalizing a deserving minority candidate for being associated with a successful team that deprived him of an opportunity to advance himself.

Chalk that requirement up to a combination of the Rooney Rule and the NFL policy on interviewing assistants in the playoffs, which results in the triumph of form over substance if they end up hiring Grimm or Tomlin.

Yet another reason to Go Saints!!

58Lambert
01-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Chalk that requirement up to a combination of the Rooney Rule and the NFL policy on interviewing assistants in the playoffs, which results in the triumph of form over substance if they end up hiring Grimm or Tomlin.

Here's one... I guess we should be careful what we wish for... do we want the Bears to lose just so we can interview Rivera sooner or would we want them to keep winning and wait (another couple weeks) and maybe interview a SB-winning def coord (Rivera)?? The more the Bears win, the better Rivera will look. So, it's official now... I'm more confused than ever!!!!

Preacher
01-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Once they tagged Rivera as one of the three finalists I think they are stuck waiting to interview him. If they simply go ahead and make the hiring decision without having Rivera back then they are going to be accused of penalizing a deserving minority candidate for being associated with a successful team that deprived him of an opportunity to advance himself.

Under the circumstances, I am not sure that would happen. It is a well known fact that teams want to get head coaches pretty fast and start organizing/working with them. The fact that a SB berth (or birth, which one in this situation?) would delay that decision by at least two weaks really nullifies the any negative impact. Furthermore, the Rooney rule is already fulfilled... and it original directed towards black coaches anyways (if memory serves correctly).

To wait until after the SB effectively makes the Steelers a SB team in preparation for next year (by that I mean a VERY short off season). What with the draft coming up and important changes to coaching staff, I just don't see it happening. I think this Friday or next Monday we will see a decision.

Big D
01-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Here's one... I guess we should be careful what we wish for... do we want the Bears to lose just so we can interview Rivera sooner or would we want them to keep winning and wait (another couple weeks) and maybe interview a SB-winning def coord (Rivera)?? The more the Bears win, the better Rivera will look. So, it's official now... I'm more confused than ever!!!!

The problem with rivera winning this weekend is that it will extend our search another 3 weeks. And we will lose are chances at hiring good assitants. And Riveras price tag would go up as well. I think if Rivera gets the job he will be fired after three years

rags1336
01-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Another update from Wexell: No member of the media has seen Grimm as of yet, they were informed by a Steelers PR director that the interview is taking place and they are now more than five hours into it. The media is waiting for Grimm to appear and make a statement.

Preacher
01-17-2007, 03:35 PM

Welcome to SF then!!! :sofunny::computer:

Big D
01-17-2007, 03:36 PM
well acording to some, Grimm wont be a good coach because he's fat.

58Lambert
01-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Welcome to SF then!!! :sofunny::computer:

Thanks Preach!! "Confusion loves company"... and I'm lookin' for some company!! :wink02:

rags1336
01-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Wow the interview is just now about to wrap up, the reporters have been put on stand-by. The interview has gone on for 6 hours with a lunch break. I don't know but to me it looks like we may have a new coach.

MACH1
01-17-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm guessing that to be the case with it taking so long.

Big D
01-17-2007, 04:01 PM
i'm listening to 970. I could have sworn he just said that tomlin got the job.

Big D
01-17-2007, 04:41 PM
this idiot on 970 just said the only reason tomlin is a finalist for the steelers job is because he is african american. I couldnt disagree more. What a tool

Seth88101
01-17-2007, 04:42 PM
God, I hope it's Tomlin!

Bigsteve332310
01-17-2007, 04:45 PM
So i guess we are going into hour 7 of the interview?? any updates?

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Under the circumstances, I am not sure that would happen. It is a well known fact that teams want to get head coaches pretty fast and start organizing/working with them. The fact that a SB berth (or birth, which one in this situation?) would delay that decision by at least two weaks really nullifies the any negative impact. Furthermore, the Rooney rule is already fulfilled... and it original directed towards black coaches anyways (if memory serves correctly).

To wait until after the SB effectively makes the Steelers a SB team in preparation for next year (by that I mean a VERY short off season). What with the draft coming up and important changes to coaching staff, I just don't see it happening. I think this Friday or next Monday we will see a decision.

I agree waiting until after the SB is not a good idea (apparently it is preferable to have a staff in place to go to the Senior Bowl, although that may be Colbert's call anyhow) but the Rooneys started down that road when they said Rivera was still in the running.

I will be interested to see what then is said to have taken Rivera out of the running if they do not interview him. I am not saying they have any obligation to interview him but that they created an issue of their own making (could have said final candidiates included Tomlin & Grimm and then delayed choice if they wanted to wait until after the SB to interview Rivera).

Seth88101
01-17-2007, 05:09 PM
TOMLIN TO TAKE GRIMM'S GIG?

At a time when pretty much everyone in the league and the media believe that the Steelers will promote offensive line coach Russ Grimm to the position vacated by Coach Chin, don't rule out Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

Though some in the organization also believe that Grimm will be the guy, the reality is that the decision will be made, in the end, by Steelers chairman Dan Rooney and team president Art Rooney II, who are being very tight-lipped (we're told) about their plans.

Tomlin is regarded by the organization as a great candidate, but his lack of experience is a concern. Due to the Buccaneers' standard refusal to allow assistant coaches under contract to leave for bigger jobs other than head coach, Tomlin was stuck in Tampa until his deal expired, and he has worked as a defensive coordinator for only one year.

The Steelers conducted a second interview of Tomlin on Tuesday, meeting with him for several hours before taking him to a Penguins game at Mellon Arena.

And unless Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette was merely looking for filler for his Wednesday item, the fact that he spent a full article getting the locals ready for the changes that would come if Tomlin gets the job could be a strong hint that Grimm might not be the guy who gets the gig.

We've said it before and we'll say it again -- we'd hire Tomlin. In a heartbeat. He instantly energized a Vikings defense that had played soft and loose and weak for most of the past decade. Sure, he's young; so were Bill Cowher and Chuck Noll.

And there's something to be said for learning on the job. Tomlin will improve, and the team that is employing him when he peaks will be a team that is annually in the conversation for the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

- profootballtalk.com

MommyDoc
01-17-2007, 07:32 PM
I am writing this at 2:50 Pittsburgh time. Grimms interview was set to begin at 10am, the media did not see him enter the building, there was speculation he could have entered through a rear entrance to avoid the media. At this time there is no word that the interview was completed, Ive checked all the local media sites, and there are absolutely no updates. Either Grimm is in his 5th hour of the interview, the Steelers offered him the position and they are working out the contract, he never showed, or they told him not to come in because they offered Tomlin the position. But there is definatly somthing going on. Has anyone seen an update?

Grimm's interview lasted over 6 hours today......HMMMMMM....Here is my source:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/wtae/20070117/lo_wtae/10772762

MY fingers are crossed <------HUGE GRIMM fan :cheer: :banana:

Preacher
01-18-2007, 12:53 AM
I can't explain it. For some reason, I am just a bit scared of Grimm as coach. I am not sure why. I just am.

augustashark
01-18-2007, 01:00 AM
I can't explain it. For some reason, I am just a bit scared of Grimm as coach. I am not sure why. I just am.

Yea, and taking a guy who A. never played in the NFL and B. has only been coaching in the league for 7 years. That scares me a whole lot more then anything else. Oh yea, and being the coach of one of the worst secondarys in the league does'nt help either. I think Grimm is the logical choice. You keep Dick and most if not all of the other assistants as well.

We'll wait and see.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-18-2007, 01:07 AM
Got a feeling Tomlin might be the steelers next coach...

http://postgazette.com/pg/07018/754788-66.stm

When the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were looking for a secondary coach to replace Herman Edwards in 2001, coach Tony Dungy brought in more than a dozen candidates to interview for the position. Most had experience coaching in the National Football League. But not all of them.

The last person to interview for the position was Mike Tomlin, a 29-year-old assistant coach from the University of Cincinnati. Not only had Tomlin never coached in the NFL but he also had only six years as an assistant coach in college.

None of that mattered to the Buccaneers.

"When we met him, we all kind of looked at each other," said Monte Kiffin, Tampa Bay's longtime defensive coordinator. "You could feel the room come alive. When we put him on a plane and sent him home, we all said, 'That's our guy.' John Lynch was sitting in the room with us, he's been to four Pro Bowls, and he told me later, 'I can't believe this guy. He's awesome.' "

"Half the players were older than him," said Detroit Lions coach Rod Marinelli, who was Tampa Bay's defensive line coach at the time. "But the decision wasn't even close."

And so began the meteoric ascent of Mike Tomlin, one of three finalists to replace Bill Cowher as head coach of the Steelers.

His star is rising so fast that those who know him believe he will be an NFL head coach soon, if not this year, almost certainly by 2008. Included in that group of admirers are the members of the Rooney family who, in this instance, matter most -- team chairman Dan Rooney and president Art Rooney II.

Tomlin bowled them over in his first interview last week, just as he seems to do with everyone who comes in contact with him. He was the first of the three finalists to have a second interview with the Steelers.

"To me, the No. 1 thing you want, if you're running an organization, is someone with character and integrity and a family guy at the very top of your club," Marinelli said yesterday from his office in Detroit. "You see that with Tony Dungy and Herm Edwards, and he has the same character. There are no character flaws. That's all you want. Now you add in something else like his football knowledge and you got something special."

Tomlin, 34, spent five seasons with the Buccaneers before leaving last year to become defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings. After just one season with the Vikings, he is on the fast track to becoming a head coach, despite his tender age and limited experience.

The Vikings ranked eighth in total defense last season and led the NFL in rush defense. Like the Steelers, they did not allow a 100-yard rusher in 2006. They were the only NFL teams to accomplish that feat. In a Dec. 10 game against Marinelli's Detroit team, the Vikings held the Lions to minus-3 yards rushing, the lowest total by an NFL team in the past 45 years.

"One of the things you noticed right away was he was eager to learn and how much confidence he has in what he's doing," Marinelli said. "That comes from intelligence. He's an extremely, extremely bright guy. That confidence allows you to be demanding. He has all those skills. Soon as someone meets him, they come away with that impression."

Age doesn't seem to be a problem for Tomlin.

He is the same age as Cowher and Chuck Noll when they were hired by the Steelers. But he is also young enough that one of the players in the Vikings' secondary -- safety Darren Sharper -- was his teammate at William & Mary.

When Cowher was hired by the Steelers in 1992, he was the same age as right tackle Tunch Ilkin.

"He has great people skills, great relationships with his players," Kiffin said. "But there's a fine line in there where you're going to let them know you're going to do it my way. He can do that."

Tomlin was a three-year starter at William & Mary and finished his career with 101 catches, 2,053 yards and 20 touchdowns. As a wide receiver, he was a speed player who could outrun and outjump Division I-AA defenders.

But he never played professional football, opting to become a coach a year after graduation.

"When he told me he wanted to pursue coaching, I said great, coaching needs people like you," William & Mary coach Jimmye Lay**** said yesterday.

"I'm not surprised he's in this position. Mike is a genuine good person who happens to be a good football coach."

"I had a lot of respect for him, which is hard for me to say being a defensive player and him being a wide receiver," said Jason Miller, a Canonsburg native who was a linebacker at William & Mary when Tomlin was a wide receiver. "Linebackers don't have a lot of respect for offensive players. But he wouldn't take any nonsense from any defensive back."

Added Miller: "He was always a motivator on the sideline and in the locker room. He never let people get down. What I enjoyed about him, he always had a joke or a smile on his face. He took things light-hearted ... until he gets on the field."

Tomlin spent one season at Virginia Military Institute in 1995, another as a graduate assistant at the University of Memphis and two years as wide receivers coach at Arkansas State. At Memphis and Arkansas State, he worked with Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler.

When he went to Cincinnati in 1999, Tomlin switched sides of the ball, leaving the offense and becoming the Bearcats' secondary coach. Along the way, he gained admirers with his defensive knowledge, displaying an understanding not usually befitting a former wide receiver.

"Tony Dungy was a quarterback who was a mastermind in defense," Marinelli said. "I was an offensive lineman who became a defensive line coach. You see that happen a lot. Players trust him. That's why he's special."

And that's why he's seemingly on a fast track to becoming a head coach in the NFL, perhaps with the Steelers.

"It's not necessarily what you do from an X's and O's standpoint, but how you do it, what playing winning football is all about, not just inside the white lines but outside the white lines," Tomlin said.

"Coaches, in a lot of ways, whether you're a head coach, a coordinator or a position coach, are somewhat of a life coach. You have to be prepared to do the things that come with the job. If you're going to instruct men inside the white lines, you have to understand what outside the white lines affects what they do."

DACEB
01-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Hmmm, Tomlin as HC and Grimm as asst. HC and OC?? and keep the rest of the staff intact??

TJSteeler
01-18-2007, 09:16 AM
New to this site and long time Steeler fan. Just moved back to Happy Valley after many years suffering in Patriots land. Did not really know much about Grimm or other candidates at the beginning of this. I watched press conferences with both Grimm and Tomlin after their second interviews and if their interviews were anything like their press conferences you have to like Tomlin. Tomlin was very precise, provided great answers to all media questions while Grimm struggled with just about everything including what he would bring as a head coach. Realize dealing with the media is not coaching but man if that in anyway reflects how they did in their interviews, don't see anyway Grimm would come out ahead of Tomlin.
Experience is one thing but think being a great communicator is extremely important for a head coach. At this point think it has to be Tomlin.

Buzz05
01-18-2007, 09:35 AM
After reading more about these guys I am still torn. Grimm is a Pittsburgh guy and would keep things intact. The coaching staff, philosophy, everything. And he is a Cowher mold type guy. Tomlin is new, young, firey and could be just what these guys need to renew the passion...its a tough call but the waiting is getting to me...

DACEB
01-18-2007, 10:03 AM
Tomlin is new, young, firey and could be just what these guys need to renew the passion

agreed, the more you hear about him you can't help being impressed. I guess maybe thats why it has been a long process. I stated before that I trust the Rooneys and I still believe they will make the right decision. As stated in the article above he has ties to the LB's coach so maybe we can keep much of the staff. I would like to see Grimm stay on the staff, and I would hope if that were the case there wouldn't be any decention in the ranks. The way they talk about his personality and demeanor (Tomlin) he seems like a great leader for this team.

ExtonSteelFan
01-18-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm also torn between Tomlin and Grimm. Once I found out we interviewed him I was pulling for him the whole time. He definetley has that look about him that seems to command respect. I think our team would respond really well to someone like him.

On the other hand, like most people pointed out already, Grimm would probably keep most of the staff in tact and would prevent much (if any) shakeup. In the end, I keep going back to Tomlin though, and if it were me, I would hire him. At least were not talking about Gailey anymore! :dang:

wv2kybohntr
01-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Ok, why is it that these 2 weeks seem so long? Sorta like the break before Super Bowl. I am checking here, ESPN etc. every couple hours to see if an announcement has been made. Starting to look like we will be waiting for the Bears to finish their season.
Sorta like Christmas and I have already checked the closets, garage and everywhere else for presents, but I have finally ran out of places to look.

Stlrs4Life
01-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Steelers | Grimm should be named head coach by Saturday
Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:01:45 -0800
John Clayton, of ESPN, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers should name assistant coach Russ Grimm the new head coach by Saturday, Jan. 20.

alittlejazzbird
01-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Steelers | Grimm should be named head coach by Saturday
Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:01:45 -0800
John Clayton, of ESPN, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers should name assistant coach Russ Grimm the new head coach by Saturday, Jan. 20.

Where did this information come from? I did an internet search and couldn't find any reference to it. I was under the impression that no one other than the Rooneys and Kevin Colbert know the status of the candidates and that they're "tight lipped" on the subject. Did John Clayton give a source?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-19-2007, 01:05 AM
Is Rivera worth the wait?

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, January 19, 2007

LAKE FOREST, Ill. - To understand how far Ron Rivera has progressed in the 10 years since he broke into coaching, consider that he used to run out for coffee and lunch for his colleagues.

And he did so willingly because Rivera is the son of a military man who still values and appreciates the concept of rank and order.

Rivera soon could be asked to fetch something a little more significant than Sanka and sandwiches -- specifically, victories and championships for a team that is accustomed to getting both.

Rivera is one of three finalists for the Steelers' head coach position. Before practice Thursday at Halas Hall, the Chicago Bears' 45-year-old defensive coordinator talked to the Tribune-Review about why he would be the right man to succeed Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh and what he would do if he becomes the team's next coach.

Rivera has been preparing for the NFC Championship Game between the Bears and visiting New Orleans Saints, but that is only part of the reason why he, unlike Russ Grimm and Mike Tomlin, has not interviewed with the Steelers a second time.

NFL rules prohibit Rivera from talking to the Steelers again -- he met Jan. 7 with team chairman Dan Rooney, president Art Rooney II and director of football operations Kevin Colbert in Chicago -- until the Bears season is over.

It will end either Sunday or Feb. 4, when the Super Bowl is played.

When asked if he thinks the Steelers are seriously considering hiring him despite the apparent impediment of the no-contact rule, Rivera said, "I would like to think so because they haven't made a decision yet, and everything I've read in the papers has been very positive in terms of (the Steelers) looking for the right person."

Rivera is aware the Steelers may not be willing to wait until they talk to him again before making a hire. He understands he may not get a chance to make a final pitch for the job.

"They've got to do what they have to do," Rivera said of the Steelers. "I'm just going to be patient and the focus right now is beating New Orleans."

Those close to Rivera have no doubt he is the right man for the job -- or at least ready to be a head coach in the NFL.

"I thought he was ready last year," Bears All-Pro linebacker Brian Urlacher said. "Look at the way he carries himself at meetings, the way he prepares us for games, the way he speaks to us. I'd hate to lose him, but I think he needs to be a head coach."

Rivera, who also interviewed with the Arizona Cardinals and Miami Dolphins, is hoping to fill the void that exists with the Steelers. He said the organization would be a good fit for him because of the parallels between the Bears, for whom he also played linebacker from 1984-92, and the Steelers.

Both are family-owned franchises that have embraced, if not branded, a similar style of play.

"I grew up playing rough, tough, physical football," said Rivera, a former linebacker who got his coaching start with the Bears as a low-level defensive assistant in 1997. "You beat up your opponent, you got after them. (The Steelers') characteristic is they love running the football. I believe in running the football. As a defensive coach, I want to attack. Those are some of the characteristics that I believe the Rooneys are looking for.

"It just sounds like, to a degree, I fit their description, and maybe that's what it's about. That's why I feel good about it. Maybe I've got as good an opportunity as anybody and the only ones who really know are the Rooneys."

One reason why Rivera might not be a good fit for the Steelers is his defensive scheme.

He has used a 4-3 alignment with the Bears since taking over as the team's defensive coordinator in 2004. The Steelers, meanwhile, have long employed a 3-4 look and constructed their roster to fit the needs of such a defense.

"Would I come in and blow everything up just for the sake of doing it because this is my initial plan? No, you can't do that," Rivera said. "You can't ask the player personnel department to all of the sudden scrap all of the players you have and try and find everything to fit automatically. In Pittsburgh, you look at the players they have and it would almost be like trying to put a round peg in a square hole. You just can't do that."

Atlanta Dan
01-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Props to Whiz for this quote regarding the HC coach:

"Well, I know it's not me. I really don't know. I went through that process and I respect the Steelers and respect the Rooneys. They've hired two coaches in 38 years, so the process they go through works, and I know they have some good candidates. If you're asking me who I hope gets it, I hope Russ Grimm because he's a good football coach."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07019/755138-66.stm

By this statement, regarding someone who may have beat him out for job he definitely wanted, Whiz displays a lot of class and loyalty to Russ Grimm.

Certainly more loyalty than Cowher showed to Whiz and Grimm by recommending Chan Gailey.

Buzz05
01-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Where did this information come from? I did an internet search and couldn't find any reference to it. I was under the impression that no one other than the Rooneys and Kevin Colbert know the status of the candidates and that they're "tight lipped" on the subject. Did John Clayton give a source?

I heard the Clayton report to. Typically he is a good source for information. And I highly doubt he would say his source since that breaks some kind of sports writer-source code of ethics. But Clayton is usually fairly reliable.

Preacher
01-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Yea, and taking a guy who A. never played in the NFL and B. has only been coaching in the league for 7 years. That scares me a whole lot more then anything else. Oh yea, and being the coach of one of the worst secondarys in the league does'nt help either. I think Grimm is the logical choice. You keep Dick and most if not all of the other assistants as well.

We'll wait and see.

I am not convinced that you need to play in the league to coach in the leauge. Many people have the intelligence and knowhow, but they just don't have the physical skills to play.

Honestly, I was happy with all three choices. I don't think it is the least of evils, I think it they are all very good, strong choices, so the choice is which of the strong choices is the best?

And do we even want to wait for Rivera? I would rather have one in place, to start making the changes now.

Stlrs4Life
01-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Article #2
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_489269.html

Rivera felt first Steelers interview was 'very positive'

Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, one of three finalists for the Steelers' head coaching job, talked Thursday with the Tribune-Review. Here are some excerpts of what he said.

On getting the chance to become a head coach in the NFL:
"Maybe last year I should have got a shot, but I didn't. I know the Rooneys have a specific idea of what they're looking for, and my first interview I thought was very positive. I got a feel of what they were looking for, and I really loved what I heard from them in terms of the direction they believe they're headed, the support they're going to give the coach."

On the appeal of working for the Rooney family:
"Coach (Bill) Cowher was there for 15 years and probably could have been another 15 if he wanted. Chuck Noll was there forever, and I think that speaks very well for whoever the next head coach is because you know you're going to have the opportunity to be there awhile and win awhile."

On not getting a chance to interview with the Steelers a second time until the Bears' season is over:
"I would love to be able to (interview with the Steelers again) but also in the same respect I've got a great job here in Chicago with a great organization, a family-oriented organization. Coach (Lovie) Smith has been tremendous for me and my career, and the players are unbelievable. I bet a lot of it is like the chemistry Pittsburgh had last year. Am I being penalized? It depends on how you look at it. I think right now my priority is winning, beating New Orleans, getting to the Super Bowl and winning. If the opportunity is still there in a week or two? Great. If not, I understand completely."

On how much he would change the Steelers if he got the job
"To go in and expect to change everything in one year and expect to be as successful as I think they can be next year would be wrong. You've got to look at and evaluate the talent you have."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Making a difference

The Bears' defense made considerable improvement after Ron Rivera's first season as Chicago's defensive coordinator in 2004. Here is a look at how the Bears have fared statistically and where they ranked in the NFL in each of Rivera's first three seasons (regular season only).

Year
Scoring
Total (yards)
Rush
Pass

NFL Rank

NFL Rank

NFL Rank

*Average per game for all categories

Man some tough decisions, Rivera sounds good also! I wouldn't want to be in charge of doing the hiring!

58Lambert
01-19-2007, 06:29 PM
From the beginning of the hiring process, I was all for Grimm and nobody else (not even Whiz) mainly because he would take the hard-nose, no-nonsense attitude. He was born and raised in PA and knows what Steelers football is all about, which might mean longevity. But, now I’m starting to back away from Grimm. Sure, he’s a future HOF’er, but great players don’t always make great coaches (in any sport). He hasn’t coached an entire offensive or defensive unit, just the OL which was not that good this year. If hired, I’m sure all the players respect him immensely for being a former famous player who knows what it’s like in the NFL, but what happens if the team continues to struggle? Grimm might get some doubters questioning his coaching abilities, then being a former star player won’t mean very much… then, the longevity won’t mean very much either.

My personal preference… a toss-up between Tomlin and Rivera. Both have very similar past coaching experiences, both defensive-minded coaches coming from great teachers (Tomlin from Tony Dungy/Monte Kiffin and Rivera from Buddy Ryan/Jim Johnson). The HC I want is the one who will continue the strong Steeler tradition of committing to the run and playing tough dominating defense.

As a side note, I kinda would like to stick with the 3-4 defense. It seems more versatile to me, you can have an OLB either line-up as a DE to rush the passer or drop back into short coverage.

Preacher
01-20-2007, 02:56 AM
Funny, I actually posted the same thing on another thread.

t-sizzlez
01-20-2007, 12:54 PM
that the new coach will be rivera.... i mean weve looked at grimm and tomlin twice now and still havent made a choice...something has to not be completely right,,,i mean after this long..it leads me to believe that were waiting for rivera..... also im sryy if this is like starting another coach thread, close it if so

klick81
01-20-2007, 02:21 PM
It's gonna be this guy:

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper439/stills/e98gb586.gif

dSharp
01-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Well I don't like posting stuff without hearing it from the horse's mouth, but....

This was just posted at SI.com:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/01/20/steelers.coach/index.html

Preacher
01-20-2007, 02:52 PM
By Michael Silver, SI.com
Mike Tomlin, defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/vikings), has been chosen as the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/steelers)' new head coach, SI.com has learned.
The official announcement will come either later Saturday or on Sunday.
Tomlin, 34, impressed the Steelers during the interview process with his organization skills, intelligence and grasp of the game, according to a source familiar with the coaching search.
He succeeds Bill Cowher, who resigned Jan. 5 after 15 seasons as the Steelers' coach.
Tomlin beat out Russ Grimm, 47, a Steelers assistant for six seasons and their assistant head coach for three, who had been considered the front-runner. The other finalist for the job was Chicago Bears (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/bears) defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.
Before joining the Vikings a year ago, Tomlin had spent five years as a defensive coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/buccaneers). Before that, he was a college assistant at Cincinnati, Arkansas State, Memphis and Virginia Military Institute.
Tomlin will become only the third Steelers head coach in 38 years and the NFL's sixth African-American head coach.
http://i.cnn.net/si/images/1.gif

Preacher
01-20-2007, 02:53 PM
(Sorry mods...)

I figured since this was the answer... it deserved a new thread. Remove or combine it if you want!! :wave:

Blitzburgh
01-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Confirmed ... it's Tomlin! :tt02:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/01/20/steelers.coach/index.html

redzone79
01-20-2007, 03:00 PM
but he wasnt even interviewed or was he secretly w/o anyone knowing?

stillers4me
01-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Well......as we are awaiting the official official announcement.......Welcome to the Steelers, Mike!! Here's to many years of championships in the Steel City!! :cheers:

Big D
01-20-2007, 03:03 PM
I'm thrilled they got my guy!

stillers4me
01-20-2007, 03:03 PM
but he wasnt even interviewed or was he secretly w/o anyone knowing?

He was interviewed twice.

redzone79
01-20-2007, 03:04 PM
I hope they make it soon! If I was Russ Grimm, I would be a little disappointed, would feel like my toes were being stepped on.

redzone79
01-20-2007, 03:05 PM
hmm, thanks! dont remember hearing that but maybe the best guy got the job!

touchdownward
01-20-2007, 03:05 PM
ESPN just announced it too, Tomlin's our new Head Coach.
I had my favorites, but I'll support any coach the Rooney's hire.
Go Steelers!!!!!

touchdownward
01-20-2007, 03:09 PM
The Whiz was my pick, but I'll support any coach the Steeler's hire. Nice age for a first year head coach for the Steelers. :wink02:

83-Steelers-43
01-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Wooohooo!!! The hunt is over. Congratulations to Mike Tomlin. Bring us a winner!!!

http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20070117pd_pens_tomlinPJ_230.jpg

stillers4me
01-20-2007, 03:11 PM
He's got some mighty big shoes to fill....but then so did Cowher. I'm excited about the changes......change can be good! Maybe it's just what we needed to fine tune some very talented players...........Is it September, yet???

Kermit
01-20-2007, 03:12 PM
One word: Yes!!

83-Steelers-43
01-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Jesus, that was like giving birth.......wait, I wouldn't know. Nevermind.

Big D
01-20-2007, 03:15 PM
I have to be the best campaign manager in the world. After this hire I know the Rooneys look at this site
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=12060
Why Mike Tomlin

He comes from the buccaneers coaching family that so far has consisted of marvin lewis, Lovie Smith, Rod marinelli, herman edwards, and even there current coordinator isnt to shabby himself. In Mike Tomlins 5 years in Tampa he helped take the bucs to the number one defense twice. His guidence currently has the vikings defense rated number 12. At the age of 34 he is a young and up and comming head coach. And if hired at the age of 34 he would ironically enough be the same age as bill cowher was when Cowher came to the steelers. I think Tomlin would be a great choice and keep the steeler legacy alive

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=12923

Mike Tomlin for the steelers next head coach

Is anyone else watching this viking-bear game. The vikings defense has stuffed rexy and the bears all game. Mike Tomlin is proving to me more and more that he would be a great steeler head coach

stillers4me
01-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Now win us some championships, Mike!! No pressure or anything......just win!

83-Steelers-43
01-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Hopefully we don't have to go through this process for another 15 years. :cheers:

Big D
01-20-2007, 03:20 PM
you have to wonder who he will hire as his offensive coordinator

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 03:23 PM
welcome to the big leagues mike tomlin. this is the afc and the job doesnt come with a pair of ruby slippers.

your 1st task is to call the qb and tell him that no motorcycle riding qb will lead YOUR team.

2nd task is to call d. lebeau and d. parry and welcome them to your staff.

these tasks should be completed by the time this post is posted.

OneForTheToe
01-20-2007, 03:25 PM
I feel for Russ, but he is a pro ...... playing and coaching in the NFL for all this time he surely understands the way things work ...... no one is guaranteed a job just because they are the front runner. I wish Russ luck whether he stays with us or not.

Now, we need a way to shorten Mike Tomlin's name. Or, at least a nickname.

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 03:25 PM
you have to wonder who he will hire as his offensive coordinatorit SHOULD be bruce arians. hopefully he doesnt think this team needs a major overhaul. hopefully he doesnt think vick is a better qb than ben and proposes a trade.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Congrats to Tomlin !! :cheers:
I feel bad for Grimm ,but maybe it just isn't meant to be a HC. He certainly has interviewed enough...

I said all along it would be from outside the organization.. it just seems to be a Rooney thing.

Preacher
01-20-2007, 03:30 PM
welcome to the big leagues mike tomlin. this is the afc and the job doesnt come with a pair of ruby slippers.

your 1st task is to call the qb and tell him that no motorcycle riding qb will lead YOUR team.

2nd task is to call d. lebeau and d. parry and welcome them to your staff.

these tasks should be completed by the time this post is posted.

YES... no... And YES..

I would wait a bit before calling Lebeau. I really would. His schemes just aren't working as well. But then again, LeBeau and Tomlin together just may bring up something HAIRY.. oh wouldn't that be nice.

Big D
01-20-2007, 03:30 PM
it SHOULD be bruce arians. hopefully he doesnt think this team needs a major overhaul. hopefully he doesnt think vick is a better qb than ben and proposes a trade.

I hope it's whipple since he did work closely with ben and this team will have enough changes going into this season

floodcitygirl
01-20-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm really surprised. I thought Grimm was gonna get it.

Congrats and welcome to Mike Tomlin! HERE WE GO!!!!!!!! :tt02:

Preacher
01-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Let us just hope Tomlin calls up Ben..

"Hey Ben, we got great things in store for this team. Gotta few rings to win. NOW SELL THAT BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPING BIKE!!!"

Infamix
01-20-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm looking forward to this, but I really hope he sticks with the 3-4

stillers4me
01-20-2007, 03:36 PM
He fits the Roony mold........

Mike Tomlin:
"Coaches, whether you're a head coach or a coordinator or a position coach, you're somewhat of a life coach," said Tomlin. "You have to be prepared to do the things that come with the job. If you're going to instruct men inside the white lines, you have to understand how what outside the white lines affects what they do. You have to be able to wear different hats – that's just part of the profession, and I understand that as a head coach you'll be dealing with more people. But the reality is that's what we do."

"Not necessarily what you do from an Xs and Os standpoint, but how you do it," said Tomlin about what Dungy taught him. "What playing winning football is about, not just inside the white lines but also outside the white lines. Playing the game with honor and integrity."

Welcome to da 'Burgh, Coach! Now let's go win some games!! WooHoo!

tony hipchest
I hope it's whipple since he did work closely with ben and this team will have enough changes going into this seasona 1st time HC, a 1st time OC and possibly a 1st time DC??? you would think this team has been in the basement with all those changes.

tomlin probably realizes that as a 1st time driver with the keys to a jag, he deserves and could probably use all the experienced support he can get. i hope this job comes with a few stipulations from the rooneys, and with the amount of $$$ they are saving, i hope some of it goes to retaining some pretty good coordinators and assistants.

lets not throw out the baby with the bath water.

touchdownward
Probably doesn't mean anything, but Sirius NFL radio says the Steelers have no comment on the hiring of Tomlin. The Steelers probably want to make the "official" announcement on their own terms.
Can't wait 'til football season!!

Kermit
01-20-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm looking forward to this, but I really hope he sticks with the 3-4

Considering he has (if I have my facts straight) little or no experience with the 3-4, I don't.

While I prefer 3-4 over 4-3 myself, I want him to run a scheme he's familiar and comfortable with.

Preacher
01-20-2007, 03:40 PM
I HAVE YET TO FIND CONFIRMATION. EVERYONE ELSE IS QUOTING SI.

Since I started the thread, I thought I would just let everyone know.

stillers4me
01-20-2007, 03:40 PM
How funny.......I googled Mike Tomlin and found this already!!

Mike Tomlin
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mike Tomlin is currently the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Tomlin worked with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for five years from 2001 to 2005, where he worked as the defensive backs coach and coached players like Dexter Jackson & Ronde Barber. In 2002 he coached in Super Bowl XXXVII where the defensive backs had five interceptions, three of which were run back for touchdowns. In 2002 and 2005, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers had the lowest yards given up per game of any team in the NFL. The other three years Tomlin coached there the defense was never ranked worse than sixth in the NFL.....................

..........In January, 2007, Tomlin interviewed for the head coaching position of the Pittsburgh Steelers. On January 15, 2007, the Steelers announced that Tomlin was one of three finalists for the position (along with Russ Grimm and Ron Rivera). His second interview for the position was Tuesday January 16.

On January 20th, 2007, Tomlin was named head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Big D
01-20-2007, 03:42 PM
No hate mail just a simple suggestion. What about bringing in jim fassel as our offensive coordinator? He has a history of being great with qb's

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2007, 03:43 PM
ESPN is quoting the SI.com story as Tomlin being hired with no independent confirmation - Mortensen only says Tomlin "feels good" about his chances.

I was for an outside hire but the downside is needing to build a new staff - I will be very surprised if LeBeau stays; hope Tomlin has some DC candidates in mind and is in good with the God of his choice if he intends to play Cover 2 with the current secondary.

Also feel bad for Grimm although I think the right choice has been made - hate to say it but a lot of hiring decisions in all lines of work are based on looks (as noted in the "fat coach" thread) and Tomlin fits the law partner/I-banker/VP for marketing look that colleges and pro teams seem to want in a HC far more than Grimm does.

And the Rooneys now have paid off any dues they may owe with regard to having to comply with the f***ing Rooney Rule. I hope that played no role in who was hired but I have my doubts.

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2007, 03:44 PM
No hate mail just a simple suggestion. What about bringing in jim fassel as our offensive coordinator? He has a history of being great with qb's

No way - we need some continuity with a veteran team and I think Arians as OC gives that.

Big D
01-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Chris Mortenson is reporting that this report is not true.

83-Steelers-43
01-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Chris Mortenson is reporting that this report is not true.

:banging:

Big D
01-20-2007, 03:48 PM
:banging:

tell me about it. I find mort way more credible then mike silver.

stillers4me
01-20-2007, 03:49 PM
How can Wikipedia be so wrong ?? :hunch:

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Let us just hope Tomlin calls up Ben..

"Hey Ben, we got great things in store for this team. Gotta few rings to win. NOW SELL THAT BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPING BIKE!!!"

I think Ben should call Tomlin and ask when and where Tomlin wants to meet and map out Tomlin's offseason plans for Ben and the new O-coordinator - it would remove any issues about the players wanting an inside hire.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-20-2007, 03:50 PM
I need some info on Tomlin.

I know he was the defensive coordinator for the Vikings last year,but what defense did he run a 3-4 or a 4-3?

Preacher
LIke I said...

Everyone was quoting SI... I was becoming more suspicious as I was not finding independant reports....

So who really Knows?

blitzburgh5
No way to Jim Fassel. Absolutely no way!!

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 03:51 PM
ESPN is quoting the SI.com story as Tomlin being hired with no independent confirmation - Mortensen only says Tomlin "feels good" about his chances.

I was for an outside hire but the downside is needing to build a new staff - I will be very surprised if LeBeau stays; hope Tomlin has some DC candidates in mind and is in good with the God of his choice if he intends to play Cover 2 with the current secondary.

Also feel bad for Grimm although I think the right choice has been made - hate to say it but a lot of hiring decisions in all lines of work are based on looks (as noted in the "fat coach" thread) and Tomlin fits the law partner/I-banker/VP for marketing look that colleges and pro teams seem to want in a HC far more than Whiz does.

And the Rooneys now have paid off any dues they may owe with regard to having to comply with the f***ing Rooney Rule. I hope that played no role in who was hired but I have my doubts.good post. i think the rooneys are patient enough to see this thing through a few 6-10 and 7-9 seasons to let tomlin tear it down and build it up his way.

if grimm and lebeau are dont and especially if we switch to a 4-3, i sense alot of salary being trimmed from the o-line and defense. alot of rookies could get the start next year. i like the idea of hoke being elevated to a starter. if porter is released, i would assume farrior would be the mlb in a 4-3 with a steady rotation between harrison, haggans, and foote.

Preacher
01-20-2007, 03:51 PM
I think Ben should call Tomlin and ask when and where Tomlin wants to meet and map out Tomlin's offseason plans for Ben and the new O-coordinator - it would remove any issues about the players wanting an inside hire.

That WOULD be great.

fansince88
01-20-2007, 03:53 PM
I say let's all just sit back and wait until the Steelers announce who their choice is, one sports writter is not enough for me. Personally I would like to see Russ Grimm named as head coach.

Big D
01-20-2007, 03:53 PM
good post. i think the rooneys are patient enough to see this thing through a few 6-10 and 7-9 seasons to let tomlin tear it down and build it up his way.

if grimm and lebeau are dont and especially if we switch to a 4-3, i sense alot of salary being trimmed from the o-line and defense. alot of rookies could get the start next year. i like the idea of hoke being elevated to a starter. if porter is released, i would assume farrior would be the mlb in a 4-3 with a steady rotation between harrison, haggans, and foote.

yeah but tomlin was saying in his press conference last week he wouldnt change the defense because he knows they dont have the personel to run the 4-3 or tampa 2

Blitzburgh
01-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Tomlin hiring being reported as "FALSE" ....

SI printing a retraction ....

Somebody screwed up BIG TIME!

C-BusSteeler
01-20-2007, 03:56 PM
found this on msnbc-- http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16723895/ they said it will be announced on sat. or sunday

Big D
01-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Tomlin hiring being reported as "FALSE" ....

SI printing a retraction ....

Somebody screwed up BIG TIME!

where did you hear this. I just went onto the cnnsi site two seconds ago and nothing had changed

t-sizzlez
01-20-2007, 03:57 PM
all right! lets go Steelers!! the 07 season awaits!!

t-sizzlez
01-20-2007, 03:58 PM
haha!! nice pic, well anyways its tomlin now and its been confirmed, close this thread

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 04:00 PM
yeah but tomlin was saying in his press conference last week he wouldnt change the defense because he knows they dont have the personel to run the 4-3 or tampa 2hes got the keys to the car but the rooneys can still tell him where and where not to drive.

if you get rid of some of the staff, players like polamalu may want to follow. im sure many of these champion players dont want to have no part of a rebuilding process.

touchdownward
01-20-2007, 04:03 PM
ESPN is now reporting that Tomlin says the story is untrue and Sirius radio is now saying that it will be announced today or tomorrow.
Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of Steeler Nation, what a soap opera.:tt02:

Blitzburgh
01-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Rooney's are pissed because the media wasn't supposed to release this news until tomorrow .... after they talked to Grimm ... and also contacted Tomlin.

Neither have been contacted yet ....

Evidently, SI wanted to be the outlet to break the news and it looks like they pulled the trigger a little too early ....

Stlrs4Life
01-20-2007, 04:04 PM
YES... no... And YES..

I would wait a bit before calling Lebeau. I really would. His schemes just aren't working as well. But then again, LeBeau and Tomlin together just may bring up something HAIRY.. oh wouldn't that be nice.

Quite contrare, his schemes are working, the LBs were the part that slowed them down.

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 04:05 PM
ESPN is now reporting that Tomlin says the story is untrue and Sirius radio is now saying that it will be announced today or tomorrow.
Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of Steeler Nation, what a soap opera.:tt02:
so we can chalk this up as a dry run for our "a new coach is finally hired and it is OFFICIAL" thread?

stillers4me
01-20-2007, 04:05 PM

(sounds like you are closet Days fan like me!!)

I think that Tomlin is doing exactly what he should do ....make no confirmation until the Rooney's make the official announcement. It would not be very classy or smart to one up your new employers.

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Rooney's are pissed because the media wasn't supposed to release this news until tomorrow .... after they talked to Grimm ... and also contacted Tomlin.

Neither have been contacted yet ....

Evidently, SI wanted to be the outlet to break the news and it looks like they pulled the trigger a little too early ....you would think grimm would hear this 1st from the rooneys and not through the media. somebody screwd up.

im sure grimm (and lebeau and perry) are hoping parcells calls it quits so they can go to the cowboys.

83-Steelers-43
01-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Steelers won't confirm SI report on new coach
Saturday, January 20, 2007

Tom Birdsong, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pittsburgh Steelers this afternoon downplayed a Sports Illustrated report that the team had named a new head coach.

SI.com, the magazine's web site, reported today that Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin had been offered the job.

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett, however, said that although he had read the SI.com report, the team had nothing new to say about the search to replace Bill Cowher.

"We have heard all the rumors, and we have nothing to confirm at this point,'' Lockett said.

Asked whether the team had a news conference scheduled either today or tomorrow to announce that their search for a coach was over, Mr. Lockett said, "No, nothing planned, and we would certainly tell you and all the media if we did.''

As they left Steelers headquarters on the South Side separately this afternoon, team Chairman Dan Rooney and team President Art Rooney II would say only, "No comment,'' when asked about the SI.com report.

Mr. Lockett, asked whether the search for a coach continued, would say only that the team had done important second interviews with two candidates, Mr. Tomlin and Steelers assistant head coach and line coach Russ Grimm.

Mr. Grimm, a native of Scottdale, Westmoreland County, could not be reached.

His brother, Donn, contacted in Georgia, said he had not talked to Russ Grimm today.

"I think I would have heard, if he knew anything,'' Donn Grimm said.

Mr. Tomlin, 34, just finished his first year as defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings. It is believed that he and Mr. Grimm are the frontrunners to replace Mr. Cowher. Mr. Cowher resigned Jan. 6 after the Steelers ended the 2006 season with an 8-8 record, following a Super Bowl championship the year before.

Mr. Cowher said he planned to spend more time with his family after coaching the Steelers for 15 years. His wife and youngest daughter moved to Raleigh, N.C., last year.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07020/755575-100.stm

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 04:10 PM
I think that Tomlin is doing exactly what he should do ....make no confirmation until the Rooney's make the official announcement. It would not be very classy or smart to one up your new employers.may be too late for that. :dang: its possible tomlins agent leaked. but then again anything is possible at this point.

stillers4me
01-20-2007, 04:12 PM
....and the waiting continues........

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 04:14 PM
whats the OVER/ UNDER on new threads that will be created once its official?

4?

5?

Preacher
01-20-2007, 04:14 PM
I've noticed that CNNSI has NOT retracted the report..

And the Rooney family did NOT DENY the report..

This is starting to sound an awfully lot like the Bill Cowher Retirement scenerio...

In other words, until I hear anything else... I WILL TAKE IT AS TRUE... TOMLIN IS COACH

klick81
01-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Wow!!! I'm glad to know who it is, and Tomlin will have my full support!

Big D
whats the OVER/ UNDER on new threads that will be created once its official?

4?

5?

i'm going with 5 plus. Before the mods and admin get pissed and combine them all

Kermit
As they left Steelers headquarters on the South Side separately this afternoon, team Chairman Dan Rooney and team President Art Rooney II would say only, "No comment,'' when asked about the SI.com report.

...If it wasn't true, why not say so?

Big D
01-20-2007, 04:16 PM
PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers have narrowed their wish list of candidates to replace Bill Cowher to three names -- Russ Grimm, Ron Rivera and Mike Tomlin -- but have not yet made a decision on their next head coach.

A report on Sports Illustrated's Web site, SI.com, on Saturday indicated that Tomlin had been chosen as the successor to Cowher, but the Vikings' defensive coordinator told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that no decision had been made.

"It is untrue," Tomlin said of the report. "I have no idea where it's coming from. I have not talked to the Rooneys today."

Sources also told ESPN.com's John Clayton that the report was incorrect, and the Steelers are not expected to make a decision Saturday.

The team also did not confirm the report Saturday.

"We have heard all the rumors, and we have nothing to confirm at this point," Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Tomlin and Grimm, the only remaining in-house candidate, both had their second interviews earlier this week. The Steelers can't talk to Rivera again until the Bears are eliminated from the playoffs. Chicago plays New Orleans in the NFC Championship Game on Sunday.

The Steelers' diligence in finding Cowher's successor cost them offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, a move that leaves offensive line coach Grimm as the possible front-runner.

"We are pleased with the progress of our search to date,'' Steelers president Art Rooney II said Monday in a statement issued by the team. "We now will move into the second interview phase and we are confident that each of the candidates on our short list will be excellent head coaches in the NFL. It is our task to determine which one is the best candidate for the Pittsburgh Steelers at this point in time.

"Our time frame remains as it was in the beginning. We will conclude the search when we have found the best coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers."

Whisenhunt, one of the NFL's top offensive coaches, took the Arizona Cardinals' job Sunday rather than waiting to see if he would be promoted by Pittsburgh. He will be officially introduced by the Cardinals at a news conference Tuesday.

While Whisenhunt was widely considered around the NFL to be Cowher's heir apparent, the Steelers gave no such indication after Cowher resigned Jan. 5. Also, they apparently didn't make a counteroffer to persuade Whisenhunt to stay.

Grimm also interviewed with the Cardinals, but unlike Whisenhunt, didn't get a second interview.

Tomlin had an excellent interview with the Steelers and, like Cowher in 1992, is an on-the-rise candidate despite being only 34 and having minimal experience as an NFL coordinator. Tomlin took over the Vikings' defense this season.

Hiring Grimm, however, would provide the Steelers continuity from one coaching regime to another and would allow them to keep most of their assistant coaches. All are under contract for next season, but a coach hired from outside the organization would likely want to choose his own staff.

Whisenhunt may take quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple with him as offensive coordinator, meaning the two coaches who have closely worked with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger the last three seasons would be gone.

The 47-year-old Grimm, a Pittsburgh-area native and former Pitt star, won three Super Bowls as a Redskins offensive lineman. He is a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and has clearly had the respect of the Steelers in his six seasons as an assistant. He was also a Redskins assistant from 1992-2000.

klick81
01-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Oh crap...i didn't reall the whole thread before i posted my previous comment. So it hasn't acually been confirmed huh??? Stupid SI...

83-Steelers-43
01-20-2007, 04:19 PM
ESPNN: "Tomlin says report to Steelers not true"

MACH1
01-20-2007, 04:19 PM
haha!! nice pic, well anyways its tomlin now and its been confirmed, close this thread

Its a false report according to this.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2732197

83-Steelers-43
01-20-2007, 04:20 PM
In my opinion, somebody leaked something they weren't suppose to leak. I feel there is truth to the original report.

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2007, 04:20 PM
you would think grimm would hear this 1st from the rooneys and not through the media. somebody screwd up.

im sure grimm (and lebeau and perry) are hoping parcells calls it quits so they can go to the cowboys.

With the Internet that is how it works these days. Chan Gailey first heard he was out and that it was going to be Cameron in Miami yesterday when he was asked to respond to the story on the web that it was Cameron.

Michael Silver was the writer who broke the story on SI.com. I hope nobody tied to Tomlin was the source - not the way to get off to a good start with owners that have a rep for courtesy such as the Rooneys.

Big D
01-20-2007, 04:21 PM
In my opinion, somebody leaked something they weren't suppose to leak. I feel there is truth to the original report.

I have to agree. The rooneys would have denied it already.

Kermit
01-20-2007, 04:22 PM
The SI article was posted at 1:57 PM...

They've had plenty of time to take it down, if it was a mistake.

Big D
01-20-2007, 04:24 PM
The SI article was posted at 1:57 PM...

They've had plenty of time to take it down, if it was a mistake.

and they updated it 6 minutes ago with no changes. We got our guy.

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 04:24 PM
With the Internet that is how it works these days. Chan Gailey first heard he was out and that it was going to be Cameron in Miami yesterday when he was asked to respond to the story on the web that it was Cameron.

Michael Silver was the writer who broke the story on SI.com. I hope nobody tied to Tomlin was the source - not the way to get off to a good start with owners that have a rep for courtesy such as the Rooneys.where theres smoke, there is fire. my initial hunch is that tomlin will be looking for a new agent real soon. (just a guess)

stillers4me
01-20-2007, 04:27 PM
I just checked and the only thing that looked different was...

The official announcement is expected to come sometime in the next two days.

Didn't it originally say today or tomorrow?

Black@Gold Forever32
01-20-2007, 04:27 PM
I like the hire of Mike Tomlin but I hope he sticks with the 3-4. It will be interesting to see what changes take place if he indeed is the man.

Preacher
01-20-2007, 04:29 PM
PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers have narrowed their wish list of candidates to replace Bill Cowher to three names -- Russ Grimm, Ron Rivera and Mike Tomlin -- but have not yet made a decision on their next head coach.

A report on Sports Illustrated's Web site, SI.com, on Saturday indicated that Tomlin had been chosen as the successor to Cowher, but the Vikings' defensive coordinator told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that no decision had been made.

"It is untrue," Tomlin said of the report. "I have no idea where it's coming from. I have not talked to the Rooneys today."

Sources also told ESPN.com's John Clayton that the report was incorrect, and the Steelers are not expected to make a decision Saturday.

"We have heard all the rumors, and we have nothing to confirm at this point," Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Notice no denial of the report... Just a no comment. I haven't talked to them.. blah blah.. Like I said before, this is becoming more like the Cowher retirement. I think Tomlin is the man!

stillers4me
01-20-2007, 04:30 PM
I also like the he worked with Tony Dungy. Can't beat that with a stick.

I'm torn by wanting the Ccolts to win for Dungy and to lose because of Manning.......what to do, what to do.............

Big D
01-20-2007, 04:31 PM
I just checked and the only thing that looked different was...

The official announcement is expected to come sometime in the next two days.

Didn't it originally say today or tomorrow?

it said later tonight or tommorow.

Preacher
01-20-2007, 04:32 PM

I'm torn by wanting the Ccolts to win for Dungy and to lose because of Manning.......what to do, what to do.............

YEP... And go manning... better then the pats!

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-20-2007, 04:35 PM
supposedly SI is printing a retraction... ESPN is saying no signing got to find link...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2732197

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Notice no denial of the report... Just a no comment. I haven't talked to them.. blah blah.. Like I said before, this is becoming more like the Cowher retirement. I think Tomlin is the man!but im sure he HAS talked to his agent. im pretty sure talks like these (hirings) go through the agent, after all that is what agents get paid for (to handle matters such as these)

i dont think the rooneys would skip the middleman to make a call to tomlin. they have press conferences to make a formal introduction. the steelers negotiator (o. kahn probably or k. colbert probably told tomlins agent "you got the deal" once a deal was agreed upon and finalized). tomlin was not in the room when these types of negotiations were settled and a deal was complete.

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 04:44 PM

I'm torn by wanting the Ccolts to win for Dungy and to lose because of Manning.......what to do, what to do.............hmmmm. i like how grimm and whiz worked with cowher and actually won a superbowl.

HometownGal
01-20-2007, 04:45 PM
I'm quite satisfied with the selection of Mike Tomlin as the new Steelers HC. :thumbsup: I was torn between Rivera and Tomlin but leaning more towards Rivera. Hey- the Rooneys didn't steer us wrong with the last two HC's and I have every confidence they made the best selection with Tomlin. Here's to 5 more rings for Hand #2 Mike and welcome to da Burgh! :thumbsup: :tt02:

Preacher
01-20-2007, 04:49 PM
but im sure he HAS talked to his agent. im pretty sure talks like these (hirings) go through the agent, after all that is what agents get paid for (to handle matters such as these)

i dont think the rooneys would skip the middleman to make a call to tomlin. they have press conferences to make a formal introduction. the steelers negotiator (o. kahn probably or k. colbert probably told tomlins agent "you got the deal" once a deal was agreed upon and finalized). tomlin was not in the room when these types of negotiations were settled and a deal was complete.

Yep... Making the denial all the more credible.

stillers4me
01-20-2007, 04:51 PM
hmmmm. i like how grimm and whiz worked with cowher and actually won a superbowl.

The Whiz hired our special teams coach.

Trust in the Rooneys. :wink02:

MACH1
01-20-2007, 04:54 PM
Doe's he bring in the 4-3? If he does what happens with our personnel, a lot of our players dont fit so well for 4-3 and what happens to Dick?

Kermit
01-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Random thought:

Why must our coaching search be the most dramatic of the bunch this year? I mean... none of the other teams with head coaching vacancies have caused this kind of a stir. No "He said this...", "She said that..." garbage from SI and ESPN.

I wish the Rooneys would just make it official and be done with it.

HometownGal
01-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Combined with existing Successor thread.

MACH1
01-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Random thought:

Why must our coaching search be the most dramatic of the bunch this year? I mean... none of the other teams with head coaching vacancies have caused this kind of a stir. No "He said this...", "She said that..." garbage from SI and ESPN.

Because its the most coveted hc job in the nfl.

Preacher
01-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Random thought:

Because this is the best head coaching job in all of professional sports.

Big D
01-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Random thought:

I wouldnt say it's the most dramatic search either. Look at the oakland raiders. they are getting turned down by pee wee football coaches.

klick81
01-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Yeah, nowhere else will you have a guaranteed job for about 15 years!

Seth88101
01-20-2007, 05:08 PM
This is going to kill me! Now that this is happening i want a confirmation!

Kermit
01-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Because its the most coveted hc job in the nfl.

&

Because this is the best head coaching job in all of professional sports.

Can't argue there.

I wouldnt say it's the most dramatic search either. Look at the oakland raiders. they are getting turned down by pee wee football coaches.

I suppose you're right.

But no one is surprised about the Raiders. The Steelers causing a stir like this seems... unusual.

But maybe that's just me.

Elvis
01-20-2007, 05:15 PM
:blah:
First of all Kermit... I want the Steelers to take their time and get the right man ... not just anyone that will take the job for goodness sakes.
And who would want to take that Raiders job? They will have to be an idiot to take that job until dummy Al Davis gives up some control to someone that really knows how to run a team and an organization. By the way.. this thing about Tomlin aint signe anyway. ESPN says that Tomlin says its not true. And also, I am glad that Whisenhunt took Kevin Spencer with him, maybe he will come back and get Gardocki to go with him there as well. Mike Barr is ready and it is time for Gardocki to go back to the Brownies where he belongs.:jawdrop:

Indy_Steelers
01-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Why do people like Ron Rivera?
He has done an OK job against a crap schedule.
If Grimm does not get the job I want Tomlin.
The things this man has done with a defense and he might even bring back the 4-3 defense that we won 4 SB with.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tomlin
Tomlin is way better that Ron Rivera.

Preacher
01-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Now for the coaching staff... the draft picks, the contract negotiations, etc.

We are in for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOng spring!! :sofunny:

Every moment, I know we will be sitting in anticipation!

Stillers43
01-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Espn is denying reports on website! What is up?

Indy_Steelers
01-20-2007, 05:52 PM
si.com has taken down the article as of 5:52 EST.

klick81
01-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Wow...lol, this is crazy.

meanjoecoop
01-20-2007, 05:57 PM
I wouldnt put a copy of SI in my bathroom...to wipe with...let alone read it. :pissed:

Preacher
01-20-2007, 05:58 PM
From SI

once again, there is no DENIAL of the report. Tomlin says that he hasn't been contacted... but as Tony Hip says...that doesn't mean his agent wasn't. Others say it can't be because the Steelers weren't supposed to make a decision. Also, no confirmation OR DENAIL on the report.

As I have already said.. maybe even on THIS THREAD... It is very much like the cowher resignation...

I beleive it is DONE. Noll, Cowher, TOMLIN

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 06:10 PM
once again, there is no DENIAL of the report. Tomlin says that he hasn't been contacted... but as Tony Hip says...that doesn't mean his agent wasn't. Others say it can't be because the Steelers weren't supposed to make a decision. Also, no confirmation OR DENAIL on the report.

yep. coaches and owners are very rich and busy people. when something like this goes down, it is not dan rooney placing a saturday morning call to tomlins house. thats just not how it woks. thats why these people hire negotiators and agents.

when tomlin says he has not spoken to the rooneys he is not lying, even if he has already been offered the job. the job IS probably his but the firt time him and the rooneys will speak will be in person at the press conference announcing the hiring.

WWIIOwheelz
01-20-2007, 06:12 PM
12 minutes ago, update at MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16723895/)

Updated: 12 minutes ago

PITTSBURGH - The Pittsburgh Steelers will wait until at least Monday to announce their new coach, and might interview Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera that day for a second time if the Bears lose the NFC championship game.

The Steelers declined Saturday to confirm they have chosen a coach to replace Bill Cowher, who resigned less than a year after leading the team to its first Super Bowl victory in 26 years.

Since Cowher stepped down Jan. 5, the Steelers have twice interviewed assistant head coach Russ Grimm and Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin but cannot talk again with Rivera, their third finalist, until the Bears’ season has ended.
Story continues below ↓ advertisement

If the Bears win Sunday, the Steelers must decide whether they could afford to wait another two weeks to talk to Rivera, or if they should hire Tomlin or Grimm so they can start to reassemble their coaching staff and begin planning for the 2007 season. Rivera’s first interview with the team went well and the Steelers have strongly hinted they would like to talk with him again.

SI.com, Sports Illustrated’s Web site, reported Saturday the Steelers have decided on Tomlin — a story that clearly caught the team off guard. Steelers owner Dan Rooney told The Associated Press he had no comment. Team president Art Rooney II, leaving the team’s practice complex Saturday, said he had nothing to say.

A person with knowledge of the search denied Tomlin has been hired, telling The Associated Press that not only has the job not been offered but there have been no contract negotiations. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the Steelers do not want details of the search made public until they have made their choice.

Tomlin told ESPN the report was untrue and that he had had not spoken Saturday with the Rooneys.

Tomlin, an NFL coordinator for only one season, impressed the Steelers with his desire for the job, knowledge about defense, work ethic and organizational ability during two interviews over the last two weeks. The second session, on Tuesday, lasted 3? hours.

But with the 34-year-old Tomlin not in the running for any other NFL head coaching jobs, it would be uncharacteristic for the Steelers — a team that never rushes into any important decision — to hire him without giving Rivera another interview.

However, the Steelers have not promised Rivera a second interview, and have said only that they would choose their coach when they were certain they had found their man.

If Tomlin is the choice, it would be a major disappointment for Grimm, who nearly got the Bears job himself three years ago. He said last week he was certain he was ready to be a head coach, and felt his six-hour interview Wednesday went very well.

Dan Rooney and director of football operations Kevin Colbert also seemed upbeat and positive following Grimm’s second interview.

Hiring Tomlin as only the third Steelers coach in 38 years, and the first black head coach in their 74-year-history, most likely would mean major changes in a team that is only a season removed from winning the Super Bowl.

Tomlin coaches the 4-3 defense, and the Steelers have long been the NFL’s strong proponent of the 3-4 defense. In recent seasons, they signed defensive ends Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel to long-term contracts partly because of their ability to fit into the 3-4.

Slide show: The Week in Sports Pictures
AFC Divisional Playoffs: New England Patriots v San Diego Chargers

Also, the Steelers have most of their assistant coaches under contract for next season, and a new head coach probably would want to bring in some of his own coaches.

Last season, Tomlin’s first as Minnesota’s defensive coordinator, the Vikings were eighth in the league in yardage allowed and first in fewest rushing yards allowed. On Dec. 10, they held Detroit to minus-3 yards rushing, the NFL’s lowest total in 45 years.

There would be one coincidence if Tomlin is hired — he is the same age Cowher was when the Steelers chose him in 1992. At the time, Cowher also was an NFL defensive assistant coach who wasn’t yet a big name.

Ken Whisenhunt, initially thought to be the front-runner for the Steelers’ job, was hired by the Arizona Cardinals last Sunday. He did not wait to see if the Steelers would make him an offer.

SteelCzar76
01-20-2007, 06:13 PM
yep. coaches and owners are very rich and busy people. when something like this goes down, it is not dan rooney placing a saturday morning call to tomlins house. thats just not how it woks. thats why these people hire negotiators and agents.

when tomlin says he has not spoken to the rooneys he is not lying, even if he has already been offered the job. the job IS probably his but the firt time him and the rooneys will speak will be in person at the press conference announcing the hiring.

Exactly.