PDA

View Full Version : The Official Bill Cowher's Successor Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Showdaddeee
01-20-2007, 05:14 PM
I think its a great choice. A true defensive mind and I kind of figuired they wouldn't hire with in. 2007 is looking a lot better today.

stillers4me
01-20-2007, 05:16 PM
SI still has the story on their site as of 6:15pm.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-20-2007, 05:17 PM
I HAVE YET TO FIND CONFIRMATION. EVERYONE ELSE IS QUOTING SI.

Since I started the thread, I thought I would just let everyone know.

Hold on everyone there has been no confirmation of this yet. Nothing on the steelers sites, nothing on any of the pittsburgh news station websites. Here is another article from ESPN at 6:09 EST...

Tomlin himself says reports are untrue..

Updated: Jan. 20, 2007, 6:09 PM ET
Grimm, Tomlin, Rivera still in running for Steelers job
ESPN.com news services

PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers have narrowed their wish list of candidates to replace Bill Cowher to three names -- Russ Grimm, Ron Rivera and Mike Tomlin -- but have not yet made a decision on their next head coach.

The Steelers declined Saturday to confirm they have chosen a coach to replace Cowher, who resigned less than a year after leading the team to its first Super Bowl victory in 26 years.

A report on Sports Illustrated's Web site, SI.com, on Saturday indicated that Tomlin had been chosen as the successor to Cowher, but the Vikings' defensive coordinator told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that no decision had been made.

"It is untrue," Tomlin said of the report. "I have no idea where it's coming from."

Sources also told ESPN.com's John Clayton that the report was incorrect, and the Steelers are not expected to make a decision until Monday at the earliest.

A person with knowledge of the search told The Associated Press that not only has the job not been offered but there have been no contract negotiations. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the Steelers do not want details of the search made public until they have made their choice.

When reached by AP, Steelers owner Dan Rooney had no comment. Team president Art Rooney II, leaving the team's practice complex Saturday, also said he had nothing to say.

"We have heard all the rumors, and we have nothing to confirm at this point," Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett added, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Tomlin and Grimm, the Steelers' offensive line coach and only remaining in-house candidate, both had their second interviews earlier this week. The Steelers can't talk to Rivera again until the Bears are eliminated from the playoffs. Chicago plays New Orleans in the NFC Championship Game on Sunday.

If the Bears win, the Steelers must decide whether they could afford to wait another two weeks to talk to Rivera, or if they should hire Tomlin or Grimm so they can start to reassemble their coaching staff and begin planning for the 2007 season. Rivera's first interview with the team went well and the Steelers have strongly hinted they would like to talk with him again.

The Steelers' diligence in finding Cowher's successor cost them offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, a move that leaves Grimm as the possible front-runner.

"We are pleased with the progress of our search to date,'' Art Rooney II said Monday in a statement issued by the team. "We now will move into the second interview phase and we are confident that each of the candidates on our short list will be excellent head coaches in the NFL. It is our task to determine which one is the best candidate for the Pittsburgh Steelers at this point in time.

"Our time frame remains as it was in the beginning. We will conclude the search when we have found the best coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers."

Whisenhunt, one of the NFL's top offensive coaches, took the Arizona Cardinals' job Sunday rather than waiting to see if he would be promoted by Pittsburgh. He will be officially introduced by the Cardinals at a news conference Tuesday.

While Whisenhunt was widely considered around the NFL to be Cowher's heir apparent, the Steelers gave no such indication after Cowher resigned Jan. 5. Also, they apparently didn't make a counteroffer to persuade Whisenhunt to stay.

Grimm also interviewed with the Cardinals, but unlike Whisenhunt, didn't get a second interview.

Tomlin had an excellent interview with the Steelers and, like Cowher in 1992, is an on-the-rise candidate despite being only 34 and having minimal experience as an NFL coordinator. Tomlin took over the Vikings' defense this season.

Hiring Grimm, however, would provide the Steelers continuity from one coaching regime to another and would allow them to keep most of their assistant coaches. All are under contract for next season, but a coach hired from outside the organization would likely want to choose his own staff.

Even if Grimm takes over, Whisenhunt's departure is expected to create some changes in the Steelers' offense.

Whisenhunt may take quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple with him as offensive coordinator, meaning the two coaches who have closely worked with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger the last three seasons would be gone.

The 47-year-old Grimm, a Pittsburgh-area native and former Pitt star, won three Super Bowls as a Redskins offensive lineman. He is a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and has clearly had the respect of the Steelers in his six seasons as an assistant. He was also a Redskins assistant from 1992-2000.

Big D
01-20-2007, 05:17 PM
si.com has taken down the article as of 5:52 EST.

it's on top of the news, on the nfl section

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 05:21 PM
its possible this little leak has "leaked" to get grimm to drop his asking price to tomlins levels. i wouldnt put it past the rooneys to play the 2 against eachother to get the biggest bang for there buck. theres alot that happens behind the scenes that nobody knows. these types of scenarios are just some of them. "tomlins been offered the job but negotiations havent been started". where the hell do these leaks come from and why?

leverage.

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2007, 05:30 PM
If SI has any integrity it will (without outing the source) either stand by Michael Silver's story or explain why it came down.

I think it is Tomlin as HC and the Rooneys are upset it leaked so we play the game.

Steeldude
01-20-2007, 05:32 PM
nothing happens until it happens :)

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 05:33 PM
im curious how tomlins sideline demeanor is:

http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9943983 (this is kirwans take on the remaining coaches in the playoffs.Three of the final four head coaches are from the defensive side of the ball -- Bill Belichick, Tony Dungy, and Lovie Smith have their roots on defense. Sean Peyton is the only head coach from the offensive side of the ball. The most important observation about all four that I find very interesting is their demeanor. Belichick, Smith and Dungy are close to unemotional down on the field. They just stand there and watch their players play -- no highs, no lows.

I asked a number of players about their quiet head coaches and the comments are revealing about the kind of men team owners should be looking for in this era. One Patriots player said, "Bill gives us confidence because he never gets rattled." A Bears player said, "Lovie is so cool that there's never chaos on the bench." And a Colts player told me, "Coach Dungy is just a guy you trust because he respects his players and you want to play hard for him."

Handling pressure for 60 minutes, overcoming adversities and making adjustments can only be accomplished in a calm environment. These coaches provide that through their own behavior. Oh, and by the way, Mangini behaves just like these coaches on the sideline and he's from the defensive side of the ball. The Jets are right on target with their head coach profile.

cowher was demonized for a "lack of emotion" on the sideline this season. i wonder if tomlin is a spit and jaw type guy or more of a calm demeanor type. if he is like 3 of the 4 still in the playoffs will steelerfans hate him? will he be loved in a losing season as long as he spits?

WWIIOwheelz
01-20-2007, 05:33 PM
If SI has any integrity it will (without outing the source) either stand by Michael Silver's story or explain why it came down.

I think it is Tomlin as HC and the Rooneys are upset it leaked so we play the game.

/\/\/\/\

Agreed

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2007, 05:51 PM
SI.com has "updated" its story as of 6:18 p.m.

The official announcement is expected to come sometime in the next two days.

Latest story does not even include any Rooney denials of a hire.

Does not look like SI is backing down - good for them and shame on the Steelers PR department if the decision has been made. It may be a new day in terms of candor under the AJR II regime.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/01/20/steelers.coach/index.html

SteelCzar76
01-20-2007, 05:51 PM
im curious how tomlins sideline demeanor is:

http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9943983 (this is kirwans take on the remaining coaches in the playoffs.cowher was demonized for a "lack of emotion" on the sideline this season. i wonder if tomlin is a spit and jaw type guy or more of a calm demeanor type. if he is like 3 of the 4 still in the playoffs will steelerfans hate him? will he be loved in a losing season as long as he spits?

As a leader of Men, those under your command should already be fully aware as to the nature of your 'will to win'. (fire, passion, intensity) And most importantly your ability.

But with that said,...... there are times when silent professionalism will serve them best. There must be balance IMO. Coach Cowher excercised great use of both during his tenure.
(Many whom complained about coach Cowhers lack of intensity this year simply didn't pay attention.)

"Hail Caesar,.....HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 06:05 PM
The Whiz was my pick, but I'll support any coach the Steeler's hire. Nice age for a first year head coach for the Steelers. :wink02:

Grimm was my pick, but like you, I will also support Tomlin. I just hope he doesn't turn out to be a dud of a HC - we got extremely lucky with the last 2 HCs we've had.

Preacher
01-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Grimm was my pick, but like you, I will also support Tomlin. I just hope he doesn't turn out to be a dud of a HC - we got extremely lucky with the last 2 HCs we've had.

Now that is a smart post!

Preacher
01-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Maybe we need to make this a sticky again... WHo knows if the report is real:hunch:

alittlejazzbird
01-20-2007, 07:20 PM
John Steigerwald aired a phone interview he had with Michael Silver, who broke the story on SI, during the KDKA 6:00 news tonight, and Silver stands by the story. He [Silver] says he didn't report that the Steelers had offered Tomlin the job, rather that the Steelers have decided that Tomlin is their guy and would be making the annoucement in the next few days. The video clip is on the KDKA website:

http://kdka.com/video/?id=24002@kdka.dayport.com

That would explain why Tomlin could truthfully say that he had not spoken with the Rooneys and had no knowledge of the story.

Whoever leaked the decision, it's a crappy thing to do to Russ Grimm. He's a pro and I'm sure he'll handle it with class, assuming the story as Silver reports it is true. But still. It's too bad that anything leaked before the Steelers organization contacted these guys. Not the way you want to find out that you didn't get the gig.

That said....Tomlin was my choice, and if the story ends up to be accurate, now I REALLY feel like a kid on Christmas morning!!

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Had to be the agent who leaked it - if so, as stated previously in this thread, if Tomlin gets a new job he also may be getting a new agent.

Hines0wnz
01-20-2007, 08:01 PM
cowher was demonized for a "lack of emotion" on the sideline this season. i wonder if tomlin is a spit and jaw type guy or more of a calm demeanor type. if he is like 3 of the 4 still in the playoffs will steelerfans hate him? will he be loved in a losing season as long as he spits?

Yeah but Chuck Noll was pretty business-like in his day from what I remember. I dont think anyone will care as long as he produces Ws.

Elvis
01-20-2007, 08:03 PM
My thoughts exactly....:thumbsup: :wave:

Preacher
01-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Give points to Tony... I beleive he was the first to call it an agent leak??

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Yeah but Chuck Noll was pretty business-like in his day from what I remember. I dont think anyone will care as long as he produces Ws.

Yep, Noll was quite reserved. And you're correct, if he gets "Ws," I for one am not gonna care.

4n2t0
01-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Personally I'm pretty excited! A 4-3 guy that was part of the well known "Tampa 2", he was the DB coach and had a great secondary. Remember the five INT's in the Super Bowl, three of which went for TD's? I was loaded but I still remember that awesome performance.

I wonder how this will impact Dick Lebeau's employment? I would think that the defensive transition will take a few years. We'll be like the Dolphins playing both, hopefully as well as they did this past year lol.

SteelCityMan786
01-20-2007, 08:35 PM
In the words of Lee Corso. NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND.

Just Found This On The Pittsburgh Post Gazette Site.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07020/755575-100.stm

Steelers say they haven't hired a coach, despite SI report

Saturday, January 20, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers chairman Dan Rooney today denied a Sports Illustrated story that said the team had chosen Mike Tomlin as its head coach.

"There's nothing to that story on the wire," Mr. Rooney said of the account that appeared earlier today on SI.com.

Other sources, most unwilling to go on the record, also denied there was any truth to the story. Mr. Tomlin, the defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings, denied it publicly.

"It is untrue," Mr. Tomlin told ESPN's Chris Mortensen. "I have no idea where it's coming from. I have not talked to the Rooneys today."

A source close to Russ Grimm said yesterday afternoon that he had heard nothing from the Steelers. Mr. Grimm, the team's offensive line coach and assistant head coach, is one of three finalists for the job.

The other is Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, who was awaiting a second interview by the Steelers if Chicago loses in the NFC championship game tomorrow. If the Bears win, they would have to wait until Feb. 5 to talk to Mr. Rivera, 45.

Mr. Grimm, 47, could not be reached for comment but his brother Donn told the Post-Gazette from his home in Georgia that he had not talked to him today.

"I think I would have heard, if he knew anything,'' Donn Grimm said.

Michael Silver of SI.com wrote that the team would announce the hiring of Mr. Tomlin, 34, in the next two days.

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said he read the SI.com report, but the team had nothing new to say about the search to replace Bill Cowher.

"We have heard all the rumors, and we have nothing to confirm at this point,'' Mr. Lockett said.

Asked whether the team had a news conference scheduled this weekend to announce that the search for a coach was over, Mr. Lockett said, "No, nothing planned, and we would certainly tell you and all the media if we did.''

Mr.Tomlin just finished his first year as defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings. It is believed that he and Mr.Grimm are the frontrunners to replace Mr. Cowher. He resigned Jan. 5 after the Steelers ended the 2006 season with an 8-8 record, following a Super Bowl championship in February.

Mr. Cowher said he planned to spend more time with his family after coaching the Steelers for 15 years. His wife and youngest daughter moved to Raleigh, N.C., last year.

Staff writers Gene Collier and Tom Birdsong contributed to this report.

Preacher
01-20-2007, 08:36 PM
John Steigerwald aired a phone interview he had with Michael Silver, who broke the story on SI, during the KDKA 6:00 news tonight, and Silver stands by the story. He [Silver] says he didn't report that the Steelers had offered Tomlin the job, rather that the Steelers have decided that Tomlin is their guy and would be making the annoucement in the next few days. The video clip is on the KDKA website:

http://kdka.com/video/?id=24002@kdka.dayport.com

That would explain why Tomlin could truthfully say that he had not spoken with the Rooneys and had no knowledge of the story.

Whoever leaked the decision, it's a crappy thing to do to Russ Grimm. He's a pro and I'm sure he'll handle it with class, assuming the story as Silver reports it is true. But still. It's too bad that anything leaked before the Steelers organization contacted these guys. Not the way you want to find out that you didn't get the gig.

That said....Tomlin was my choice, and if the story ends up to be accurate, now I REALLY feel like a kid on Christmas morning!!

Your absolutely right...

And yeah, it is just like Christmas morning... We see the presents... we want to play with them.. but dangit.. the parents are still telling us the toys may be our cousins.. not ours!!

TELL ME NOW!!!!!!!!!!!11 :sofunny:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Well I just watched on ESPN News that Tomlin will be named HC.

Preacher
01-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Now, the question is,

Is it an echo chamber.. or is it confirmation? Especially since ESPN was poopooing before.

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Well I just watched on ESPN News that Tomlin will be named HC.

And they probably got it from SI. And I keep wondering why I canceled my SI subscription years ago? :uhh:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-20-2007, 08:42 PM
And they probably got it from SI. And I keep wondering why I canceled my SI subscription years ago? :uhh:

I watched Mort state its going to be Mike Tomlin. ESPN News had in the corner as breaking news Mike Tomlin to be named Steelers coach.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-20-2007, 08:48 PM
If you have ESPN News turn to that channel. They even have it in the NFL news down at the bottom of the screen. A new era in Pittsburgh Steelers history is about to begin. I can't wait.

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 08:48 PM
I watched Mort state its going to be Mike Tomlin. ESPN News had in the corner as breaking news Mike Tomlin to be named Steelers coach.

The same network that helped blow the officiating "controversy" out of proportion last year, only to later review the calls in question and then concluding the calls in question were in fact correct? Entertainment and Sports Programming Network, indeed. ESPN used to be a great network until they went more for the "entertainment" side than the "sports" side over the years. They're about as credible as profootballtalk.com at this point in my book.

momper
01-20-2007, 09:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2732197

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 09:04 PM

From the article: "Sports Illustrated's Web site, SI.com, first reported that Pittsburgh had decided on Tomlin earlier Saturday. Steelers owner Dan Rooney told The Associated Press he had no comment. Team president Art Rooney II, leaving the team's practice complex Saturday, said he had nothing to say."

Like I said, they got it from SI. And "having nothing to say" is a far cry from what the Post Gazette article SCM linked was reporting what both the Rooneys and Tomlin said. I'll believe it when I see video footage of a member of the Rooney family saying it.

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Personally I'm pretty excited! A 4-3 guy that was part of the well known "Tampa 2", he was the DB coach and had a great secondary. Remember the five INT's in the Super Bowl, three of which went for TD's? I was loaded but I still remember that awesome performance.

. i remember that. i also remember thinking jon gruden coulda won that game alone with all the coordinators and assistants in the locker room playing nintendo.

but more importantly, i remember his vikings defense giving up 29/43 273yds 4td and 1int to the patriots in week 8. sure they had a great rush defense this year, but in the same game the pats running backs were 13/85, gaining on runs of 35,22,15,11 yds (to 4 different backs) 6 ypc wont cut it in the afc.

im not gonna knock him for 1 game, but im also not gonna say hes the man, because of 1 game 4 years ago when, t. dungy, j. gruden, l.smith, and r. marinelli had as much if not more impact on the defensive results of said game.

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Howdy all. I have been lurking only throughout this entire coaching selection process....just enjoying seeing what all you have to say. I haven't felt like I needed to say anything up to now. But tonights news has changed that. I for one am not exactly thrilled by this hire.

Here's my take:

* I believe MONEY played a huge roll in who the Rooney's hired. There is a reason Whiz chose to go to Arizona before the Steelers announced (I anticipate that Tomlin's salary will be NOWHERE NEAR the upper echelon and probably will be in the lower half of coaching salaries).
* Bringing in a guy from the outside is going to bring radical changes to a coaching staff that won the FREAKIN' Super Bowl less than 365 days ago and one that has been sending the Steelers to repeated AFC championship games. LeBeau will be gone. Grimm will be gone. I anticipate many position coaches will soon follow. Next years coaching roster will probably only feature a name or two from this years. I see that Whiz is probably going to take Whipple to AZ. So, the coaches who have worked more closely with Roeth over the past 2 years are both going to be gone. That ain't good.
* A change to the 4-3 will NOT be good. Tomlin's defense at Minnesota hardly made opposing offenses shake in fear. The Steelers know the 3-4 and have had one of the most intimidating defenses in the NFL for the past decade....and the Rooney's hire a guy who might (probably) will change that? Huh? If the system ain't broke you don't try to "fix" it.
* If money really was a factor then this will probably carry over to the huge number of very important free agent signings that will be coming up after next season. Important players will be gone because they aren't paid. It'll be reminicisent of the mid 90's. Wasn't that fun?

Tomlin has been a coordinator for 1 year....and this makes him qualified to lead the defending Super Bowl Champions? I don't get it. I mean, I do if money was a factor. They probably are getting Tomlin for a song. However, I don't get it if maintaining the "W's" is the focus.

I hope I'm wrong....but I don't see this leading to anything good. Of course I'll support Tomlin. But in my 32 years of being an active Steeler fan, this is the first time that I have felt that the Rooney's have not placed this team in the best position. Man, do I hope I'm wrong.

Sorry to be so negative. I never thought Tomlin had a snowballs chance. I thought Grimm was a lock after Whiz left for Arizona. I could not even really understand what the Rooney's were doing interviewing him. I know Dungy has had good things to say....but.....:hunch: :helmet: I don't know.....this just doesn't feel right.

Glace
01-20-2007, 09:30 PM
No...it definately does NOT feel right.

I just think there were other motives behind this hiring process....How can you preach the "Rooney Rule" without doing some of your own hiring of black coaches?

I'm not turning this into a race war.....but I don't want to have to mix Steeler Football with "Why can't the black man coach?" every time we tune into a game.

Whiz deserved the job...So did Grimm. We basically spit in both of their faces. LeBeau too because I don't see Tomlin keeping him around...

I'm mostly complaining because I don't want to suffer through 3-4 years of "rebuilding" because Tomlin is going to completely change the makeup of this team. I don't want to be the laughing stock of the NFL like the Vikes are. We would have had an extremely smooth transition from one coach to another if Whiz or Grimm would have gotten the job.

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Please stop believing all of ESPN's B.S.: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070120/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_steelers_coaching_search. IOW, NOTHING IS OFFICIAL YET.

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 09:35 PM
* I believe MONEY played a huge roll in who the Rooney's hired. There is a reason Whiz chose to go to Arizona before the Steelers announced (I anticipate that Tomlin's salary will be NOWHERE NEAR the upper echelon and probably will be in the lower half of coaching salaries).
Sorry to be so negative. I never thought Tomlin had a snowballs chance. I thought Grimm was a lock after Whiz left for Arizona. I could not even really understand what the Rooney's were doing interviewing him. I know Dungy has had good things to say....but.....:hunch: :helmet: I don't know.....this just doesn't feel right.i hear ya and share all your concerns. while cowher, grimm, whiz and lebeau werent or arent being fired, it definitely seems the rooneys have decided to go in a different direction.

granted all our coaches have outplayed their contracts and can get more on the open market than what the rooneys are willing to offer. its either this or the rooneys feel an 8-8season is reson enough to let them go. but the truth is, a new regime is just as likely to go 8-8 next year as the old regime was. this leads me to believe the rooneys have a set number in the buget for a coaching staff and they are not gonna exceed that, no matter what.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-20-2007, 09:35 PM
The man hasn't even been officially hired by the Rooney's yet and were are already going to be in a rebuilding mode.

SteelCzar76
01-20-2007, 09:39 PM
It's a wrap for the wait,....Tomlin is now HC. :helmet:

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 09:43 PM
The man hasn't even been officially hired by the Rooney's yet and were are already going to be in a rebuilding mode.youre right. theres still a chance we hire cowher, whiz, hoak, spencer, and possibly whipple back. :rolleyes:

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 09:44 PM
It's a wrap for the wait,....Tomlin is now HC.

Maybe, maybe not....

"....with the 34-year-old Tomlin not in the running for any other NFL head coaching jobs, it would be uncharacteristic for the Steelers ? a team that never rushes into any important decision ? to hire him without giving Rivera another interview." (Taken from: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070120/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_steelers_coaching_search)

Black@Gold Forever32
01-20-2007, 09:45 PM
youre right. theres still a chance we hire cowher, whiz, hoak, spencer, and possibly whipple back. :rolleyes:

ok smartass. All I'm saying is the Rooney's havn't announced Tomlin as HC yet and people are acting like the world is coming to an end.

SteelCityMan786
01-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Maybe, maybe not....

"....with the 34-year-old Tomlin not in the running for any other NFL head coaching jobs, it would be uncharacteristic for the Steelers ? a team that never rushes into any important decision ? to hire him without giving Rivera another interview." (Taken from: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070120/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_steelers_coaching_search)

The Post Gazette had something on their site tonight.

SteelCzar76
01-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Maybe, maybe not....

It's a done deal 76.

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2007, 09:47 PM
SI scooped ESPN so ESPN first shoots the story down then comes back several hours later and admits it to be true. Not exactly a shining hour for ESPN (the John Kerry of sports reporting - being both for and against whether Tomlin got the job), but that network pretty much has gotten to the point it hypes its own product (e.g. - those painful "celebrity interviews" on Monday Night Football) and pretends nothing else exists.

Of course the contribution of the Pittsburgh media consisted of Steigerwald calling Micheal Silver at SI.com to ask whether his scoop was true - someone named Birdsong at the P-G wrote the initial P-G online story of the Steelers "denial" Tomlin got the job while Ed.B. and Dulac were doing who knows what.

I think (hope?/pray?) it is a good hire since I wanted an outside hire. However, this whole process has been handled poorly since last summer, with the latest botches being a press release that Rivera was one of the three finalists, after which he never got another interview, and today's leak.

I am beginning to have my doubts about AJR II - doubts may become conclusions if he does not do well in upcoming FA signings (job #1 being to sign Troy) prior to the start of next season.

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 09:48 PM
The Post Gazette had something on their site tonight.

Yep, I even referred to your post of the Post Gazette link earlier - that's what changed my mind about Tomlin as HC being a done deal.

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-20-2007, 09:50 PM
i hear ya and share all your concerns. while cowher, grimm, whiz and lebeau werent or arent being fired, it definitely seems the rooneys have decided to go in a different direction.

granted all our coaches have outplayed their contracts and can get more on the open market than what the rooneys are willing to offer. its either this or the rooneys feel an 8-8season is reson enough to let them go. but the truth is, a new regime is just as likely to go 8-8 next year as the old regime was. this leads me to believe the rooneys have a set number in the buget for a coaching staff and they are not gonna exceed that, no matter what.

I've been of the opinion since the Steelers were eliminated from the playoffs this year that next year was going to bring a resurgence of this team. They have really no one important up for free agency this year, meaning that the best 8-8 team in the NFL in years is going to be back next year. I have been of the opinion that this team has all the tools necessary to make another run to the Super Bowl next year.

...."IF" (when it's officially announced) Tomlin is hired. I think everything changes and none of it for the good.

If the Steelers were in the Raiders position, I would be leading the charge about making wholesale changes to the coaching staff and the scheme, both offensively and defensively. However, the Steelers are NOT the Raiders.

This team finished ranked 7th in the regular season in total offense.....now the offensive coordinator is gone and the O-line and assistant HC will be gone....along with the QB coach.

This team finished ranked 9th in the regular season in total defense....now the new HC is going to bring in a completely new defensive scheme, meaning the defensive coordinator will be gone and probably much of the defensive coaching staff.

Can someone explain this to me? I'm having a very, very difficult time understanding the Rooney's thinking.....if....if.....it involves ANYTHING but $$$$. They got Tomlin much more cheaply than they could have gotten Whiz or Grimm.

Has any other team seriously considered Tomlin this off-season? I think he interviewed for the Dolphins and his name came up with the Falcons though I don't know if he interviewed. However, it does not seem ANYONE else looked at him seriously.....but the Rooney's. Why is that if $$$$ was not a huge and probably the determining factor.

I can't help this gnawing, growing thought that we, as Steeler fans, are witnessing the coming of a Dark Age for this franchise that years from now we will still be trying to get out of our memories. I know, I know.....probably too dramatic. But, I don't think this is good. I don't think this is a good thing.....at all! http://bestsmileys.com/sad/6.gif

Black@Gold Forever32
01-20-2007, 09:51 PM
The sky is falling the sky is falling Mike Tomlin is HC oh God.lol

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 09:55 PM
It's a done deal 76.

Without a contract?

"A person with knowledge of the search denied Tomlin has been hired, telling the AP that not only has the job not been offered but there have been no contract negotiations. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the Steelers do not want details of the search made public until they have made their choice."

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Without a contract?

"A person with knowledge of the search denied Tomlin has been hired, telling the AP that not only has the job not been offered but there have been no contract negotiations. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the Steelers do not want details of the search made public until they have made their choice."

Mind you, this is the same media that reported that contract negotiations were going on with Grimm due to his marathon session with the Rooneys last week....

(Oops, hit the "quote" button rather than the "edit" button)

SteelCzar76
01-20-2007, 09:56 PM
The sky is falling the sky is falling Mike Tomlin is HC oh God.lol

:sofunny::sofunny: Didn't you just see this coming two miles away ? :sofunny:

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Glace
01-20-2007, 09:57 PM
As far as being confirmed or not....everything I'm reading says they caught Rooney leaving the complex and he had "no comment" on the report.....

Why not shoot it down? Say that there has been no decision made yet?

Steel12
No...it definately does NOT feel right.

I just think there were other motives behind this hiring process....How can you preach the "Rooney Rule" without doing some of your own hiring of black coaches?

I'm not turning this into a race war.....but I don't want to have to mix Steeler Football with "Why can't the black man coach?" every time we tune into a game.

How did I know this was coming!!! I'm sure the Rooney's wouldn't jeapordize the franchise just to hire a black head coach. I'm also sure he's qualified to handle being the coach of our Steelers. I'm sure this bullshit will come up again and again.

Black@Gold Forever32
Hey Tony quit hiding things in my user cp. Its lame. Yea the Steelers were in rebuilding mode the last time they hired a new coach. Bill Cowher went 11-5 in his first year. All I'm trying to say is let the guy at least be officially hired before making any judgement.

But I'm just making dumb ass comments right Tony? Like I said post it for all to see instead of hiding it.

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 10:01 PM
Hey Tony quit hiding things in my user cp. Its lame. Yea the Steelers were in rebuilding mode the last time they hired a new coach. Bill Cowher went 11-5 in his first year. All I'm trying to say is let the guy as least be officially hired before making any judgement.

But I'm just making dumb ass comments right Tony? Like I said post it for all to see instead of hiding it.youre not too familiar with the rules of the forum or uses of "pm" or "user cp" are you?

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 10:01 PM
As far as being confirmed or not....everything I'm reading says they caught Rooney leaving the complex and he had "no comment" on the report.....

Why not shoot it down? Say that there has been no decision made yet?

According to Ed Bouchette, he did:

"'There's nothing to that story on the wire,' Mr. Rooney said of the account that appeared earlier today on SI.com." (http://post-gazette.com/pg/07020/755575-100.stm)

Alot different than "no comment," huh?

Glace
01-20-2007, 10:05 PM
How did I know this was coming!!! I'm sure the Rooney's wouldn't jeapordize the franchise just to hire a black head coach. I'm also sure he's qualified to handle being the coach of our Steelers. I'm sure this bullshit will come up again and again.

I have to say something........because there are people that AREN'T EVEN FOOTBALL FANS trying to make MORE rules saying we have to have so many black coaches...no matter what.

I say BS to that.

Makes me sick that this country isn't over this whole white/black thing. Every time Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith, Marvin Lewis, etc make a playoff game....there is a 10 minute "tribute" of sorts to say how black coaches are making history...blah blah blah.....I just don't want to have to hear that with the Steelers...because honestly...I don't care who's skin is colored what.

The best man should get the job...and in this case.....if the rumor is true....I don't think the best man got the job.

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2007, 10:05 PM
IMHO this team is heading to another down cycle such as the late 90s period regardless of who the coach will be - that simply is how the league works. In addition to wanting top $, Cowher remembers how ugly it got during the last rebuilding and may have figured he will pass on that heartburn while the Rooneys may figure that rebuilding task can best be done by an outsider.

And I do think the Rooney Rule factored into this.

Glace
01-20-2007, 10:09 PM
According to Ed Bouchette, he did:

"'There's nothing to that story on the wire,' Mr. Rooney said of the account that appeared earlier today on SI.com." (http://post-gazette.com/pg/07020/755575-100.stm)

Alot different than "no comment," huh?

Didn't see that one....

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Didn't see that one....

Again, it could be true. I just want to see something official, personally. I want to see a press conference announcement and an official press release from the FO saying that a contract has been signed.

rpv
01-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Its on ESPN and on sportcenter that Tomlin is suceeding Bill Cowher........

Glace
01-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Hmm....

Maybe....the Rooney's "leaked" this story to SI to see what Steeler Nation had to say...and they're scouring this forum as we speak??

Or maybe SI and ESPN are just retarded.

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2007, 10:16 PM
I have to say something........because there are people that AREN'T EVEN FOOTBALL FANS trying to make MORE rules saying we have to have so many black coaches...no matter what.

I say BS to that.

Makes me sick that this country isn't over this whole white/black thing. Every time Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith, Marvin Lewis, etc make a playoff game....there is a 10 minute "tribute" of sorts to say how black coaches are making history...blah blah blah.....I just don't want to have to hear that with the Steelers...because honestly...I don't care who's skin is colored what.

The best man should get the job...and in this case.....if the rumor is true....I don't think the best man got the job.

I like Russ Grimm and Whiz but Grimm has never even been a coordinator and for whatever reason Whiz was the de facto frontrunner in Atlanta and was not hired following his interview. Given the abysmal performance of the offense in a number of games this year neither candidiate enhanced their HC credentials in my mind this past season. Furthermore, this team underperformed this year and arguably needs a new face to get it out of its comfort zone.

Hiring HCs is a crap shoot - none of the leading candidates for the Steelers job has ever been a HC at any level (I am assuming Gailey was never a serious candidate) and who the "best man" for that job may be is simply a matter of personal opinion and not a matter of objective fact.

Expressing those opinions is what this board is all about but I think it is a little premature to open up the firemiketomlinnow.com web site.

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Maybe....the Rooney's "leaked" this story to SI to see what Steeler Nation had to say...and they're scouring this forum as we speak??

Or maybe SI and ESPN are just retarded.

My bet is on the latter.

Preacher
01-20-2007, 10:20 PM
This team finished ranked 7th in the regular season in total offense.....now the offensive coordinator is gone and the O-line and assistant HC will be gone....along with the QB coach.

This team finished ranked 9th in the regular season in total defense....now the new HC is going to bring in a completely new defensive scheme, meaning the defensive coordinator will be gone and probably much of the defensive coaching staff.

Can someone explain this to me? I'm having a very, very difficult time understanding the Rooney's thinking.....if....if.....it involves ANYTHING but $$$$. They got Tomlin much more cheaply than they could have gotten Whiz or Grimm.

Stats can and do mislead. They only report numbers, not the reason for the numbers. Why are the Steelers so high in Offense? Because we got behind early in the game and had to throw the ball all day long in order to catch up. Being that high in offensive numbers is not necessarily a good thing for a Bill Cowher Steeler team. He wanted to get up by 11 points (More then a TD and Field Goal), and just run dwon the clock. So in this case, high stats on offense is a bad thing in some ways... especially when it was more on the pass then the run.

On D... Sure, we were GREAT against the run... but not against the pass. So while the two balance out, the fact is, on the field, they can't balance, cause teams will just put the ball in the air against us all day. It started with the 2001 playoffs, when teams found out how to do it. We got TORCHED in 2002. I Don't even want to talk about 03. In 04 and 05, our offense kept the other team off the field.

Fact is, We need SERIOUS help on our Defense. I have felt for sometime that we needed more then just a tweeking. Sure, we won a SB last year, we got hot.... If we want to win in the future, we win with a better defense. If we need a whole new Defense coaching staff... then so be it.

As far as the Offense is concerned, Bettis is GONE. There is not another Bettis on the horizon. We need to adjust, and become more balanced.

As far as Wiz or Grimm is concerned, well, Wiz didn't even make the second round. If money was the reason, do you really think Grimm would have made it? Sure, Rooney's don't pay out top dollar. Why should they? 5 SB's, 6 appearances, NUMEROUS AFC North Championships. And 5 mill in Pittsburgh goes a HECK OF A LOT FURTHER then 5 mill in Oakland, New York, or Miami. So you really can't compare 5 mill in this city with 5 mill in that city.

Blitzburgh
01-20-2007, 10:21 PM
DEWEY BEATS TRUEMAN!

PisnNapalm
01-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Wow.... I had expected Grimm to get the job.

All hail the new coach!!

Indy_Steelers
01-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Howdy all. I have been lurking only throughout this entire coaching selection process....just enjoying seeing what all you have to say. I haven't felt like I needed to say anything up to now. But tonights news has changed that. I for one am not exactly thrilled by this hire.

Here's my take:

* Bringing in a guy from the outside is going to bring radical changes to a coaching staff that won the FREAKIN' Super Bowl less than 365 days ago and one that has been sending the Steelers to repeated AFC championship games. LeBeau will be gone. Grimm will be gone. I anticipate many position coaches will soon follow. Next years coaching roster will probably only feature a name or two from this years. I see that Whiz is probably going to take Whipple to AZ. So, the coaches who have worked more closely with Roeth over the past 2 years are both going to be gone. That ain't good.
* A change to the 4-3 will NOT be good. Tomlin's defense at Minnesota hardly made opposing offenses shake in fear. The Steelers know the 3-4 and have had one of the most intimidating defenses in the NFL for the past decade....and the Rooney's hire a guy who might (probably) will change that? Huh? If the system ain't broke you don't try to "fix" it.
* If money really was a factor then this will probably carry over to the huge number of very important free agent signings that will be coming up after next season. Important players will be gone because they aren't paid. It'll be reminicisent of the mid 90's. Wasn't that fun?

Tomlin has been a coordinator for 1 year....and this makes him qualified to lead the defending Super Bowl Champions? I don't get it. I mean, I do if money was a factor. They probably are getting Tomlin for a song. However, I don't get it if maintaining the "W's" is the focus.

I hope I'm wrong....but I don't see this leading to anything good. Of course I'll support Tomlin. But in my 32 years of being an active Steeler fan, this is the first time that I have felt that the Rooney's have not placed this team in the best position. Man, do I hope I'm wrong.

Sorry to be so negative. I never thought Tomlin had a snowballs chance. I thought Grimm was a lock after Whiz left for Arizona. I could not even really understand what the Rooney's were doing interviewing him. I know Dungy has had good things to say....but.....:hunch: :helmet: I don't know.....this just doesn't feel right.

How do you figure that a 4-3 would not be good? We ran it in the 70s and it got us 4 Sb titles. Tomlin has improved on the cover 2 defense that the Steelers created in the 70s. He took over the 21st rated defense in the VCikings and improved it in one season to 8th. I could see him working with Lebeau. The one part of our defense that has struggled over the past few years is our secondary and we have young guys for him to work with back there. And as far as nobody looking at him seriously...nobody, not even the University of Nort Carolina, looked at Willie Parker seriously. I trust the Rooney's to make the best decision for the team. A lot of poeple were saying the same things about Cowher 15 years ago. Maybe we need radical changes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tomlin

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 10:26 PM
IMHO this team is heading to another down cycle such as the late 90s period regardless of who the coach will be - that simply is how the league works. In addition to wanting top $, Cowher remembers how ugly it got during the last rebuilding and may have figured he will pass on that heartburn while the Rooneys may figure that rebuilding task can best be done by an outsider.
.odd how we are maxed to the cap and teams like the bengals and patriots are rumored to be 25 million under the cap next season. im sure the popular cowher practice of not immediately developing and starting rookies has something to do with it. instead of starting a. smith, homes, and playing haynes, we keep wilson, clark, and staley on the roster.

i still dont know what kemoeatu and essex are doing? if the rooneys passed on cowher to bring in a system that doesnt take the players 4 years to learn, then i am all for that.

Preacher
01-20-2007, 10:28 PM
How do you figure that a 4-3 would not be good? We ran it in the 70s and it got us 4 Sb titles. Tomlin has improved on the cover 2 defense that the Steelers created in the 70s. He took over the 21st rated defense in the VCikings and improved it in one season to 8th. I could see him working with Lebeau. The one part of our defense that has struggled over the past few years is our secondary and we have young guys for him to work with back there. And as far as nobody looking at him seriously...nobody, not even the University of Nort Carolina, looked at Willie Parker seriously. I trust the Rooney's to make the best decision for the team. A lot of poeple were saying the same things about Cowher 15 years ago. Maybe we need radical changes.

Nice post...

I wonder if this played a factor in the decision as well... I lifted it from the ESPN site...

Tomlin, a former Tampa Bay assistant, has been the coordinator for just one season under Brad Childress in Minnesota. Before that, he was a Buccaneers' secondary coach, a five-year spell that included installation of the teams' trademark "Tampa-2" scheme. He was an assistant coach in the collegiate ranks from 1995 to 2000.

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 10:29 PM
A lot of poeple were saying the same things about Cowher 15 years ago. Maybe we need radical changes.

Thing is, Cowher didn't change the philosophy of the team (strong running game, good D) one bit from the way Noll did things. We haven't lost much in the way of on-field talent, but we still have holes to fill (LB, CB and OL being glaring priorities). I don't care for the idea of a complete makeover of schemes. If we were the Lions, yes. But we're not far off from being a serious SB contender again.

stillers4me
01-20-2007, 10:29 PM
What a shocker!

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Well if it is on ESPN it must be true.

:toofunny:

I assume all of their stories earlier today in which ESPN shot down the SI story and said no offer had been made have gone down the memory hole.

SteelCityMan786
01-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Thread Merged.

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com (former Pittsburgher with good sources throughout the league) has this story up (excerpts below):

Tomlin hiring could bring sweeping defensive changes

No less an authority than Pittsburgh owner Dan Rooney, who is hiring only a third different sideline boss since 1969, knows the implication of making a change.

"When you change coaches, you're always starting over again," Rooney said in the days leading up to Super Bowl XL, when he was asked about his family's unparalleled patience with coaches.

The Steelers, a talented team that could rebound quickly in 2007 from a rare 2006 campaign that did not include a playoff berth, might not be completely starting over with Tomlin, who has been in the NFL only since 2001. But his schematic preferences seem so at odds with what has transpired in Pittsburgh for more than 20 years now, that there can't help but be some degree of makeover.

Changing coaches isn't all about "fit" anymore, and there are some areas in which Tomlin appears the square peg moving into a round hole environment.

Most notable is on the defensive side of the ball, where the Steelers have deployed a 3-4 front since 1983...

Yet given his affinity for the "cover two" scheme, there is little question Tomlin will want to convert to a 4-3 front as quickly as possible. The bigger question: Does Pittsburgh currently possess the appropriate personnel for such a switch?....

The Steelers are less than one year removed from their Super Bowl XL victory, and there's been a considerable amount of change in a short period of time. It's a foreign concept to longtime 'Burghers, this whole concept of change, and Tomlin is going to have to get quick results to earn the trust of the locals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2737739

Hard to see LeBeau hanging around to install the Cover 2 scheme

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com (former Pittsburgher with good sources throughout the league) has this story up (excerpts below):

Tomlin hiring could bring sweeping defensive changes

No less an authority than Pittsburgh owner Dan Rooney, who is hiring only a third different sideline boss since 1969, knows the implication of making a change.

"When you change coaches, you're always starting over again," Rooney said in the days leading up to Super Bowl XL, when he was asked about his family's unparalleled patience with coaches.

The Steelers, a talented team that could rebound quickly in 2007 from a rare 2006 campaign that did not include a playoff berth, might not be completely starting over with Tomlin, who has been in the NFL only since 2001. But his schematic preferences seem so at odds with what has transpired in Pittsburgh for more than 20 years now, that there can't help but be some degree of makeover.

Changing coaches isn't all about "fit" anymore, and there are some areas in which Tomlin appears the square peg moving into a round hole environment.

Most notable is on the defensive side of the ball, where the Steelers have deployed a 3-4 front since 1983...

Yet given his affinity for the "cover two" scheme, there is little question Tomlin will want to convert to a 4-3 front as quickly as possible. The bigger question: Does Pittsburgh currently possess the appropriate personnel for such a switch?....

The Steelers are less than one year removed from their Super Bowl XL victory, and there's been a considerable amount of change in a short period of time. It's a foreign concept to longtime 'Burghers, this whole concept of change, and Tomlin is going to have to get quick results to earn the trust of the locals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2737739

Hard to see LeBeau hanging around to install the Cover 2 scheme

The more I read, the less I want him to get the job.

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 11:09 PM
How do you figure that a 4-3 would not be good? We ran it in the 70s and it got us 4 Sb titles.

With arguably the greatest DT and two of the best LBs to ever play the game. This ain't the '70s.

4n2t0
01-20-2007, 11:18 PM
i remember that. i also remember thinking jon gruden coulda won that game alone with all the coordinators and assistants in the locker room playing nintendo.

but more importantly, i remember his vikings defense giving up 29/43 273yds 4td and 1int to the patriots in week 8. sure they had a great rush defense this year, but in the same game the pats running backs were 13/85, gaining on runs of 35,22,15,11 yds (to 4 different backs) 6 ypc wont cut it in the afc.

im not gonna knock him for 1 game, but im also not gonna say hes the man, because of 1 game 4 years ago when, t. dungy, j. gruden, l.smith, and r. marinelli had as much if not more impact on the defensive results of said game.

I didn't say he was the man, only eluded to the fact that he was part of the infamous "Tampa 2". I did mention the great secondary didn't I? Do you always look for complicated assumptions in simple statements?

Anyways, nice to see him get the job.

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Hard to see LeBeau hanging around to install the Cover 2 schemetheres not much tomlin can teach lebeau. after all, lebeau has been in the nfl 10 years longer than tomlin has been alive.

i still havent got an answer to what the tampon cover 2 has accomplished in this league. many will say a sb in 2002, but that was won with grudens insider knowledge plus a complete b. robbins meltdown and the distraction it brought. the 3-4 got the steelers to 6 champ games in 15 years. none of which were lost because of the defense.

so do we trade j. porter for warren sapp?

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 11:24 PM
i still havent got an answer to what the tampon cover 2 has accomplished in this league. many will say a sb in 2002, but that was won with grudens insider knowledge plus a complete b. robbins meltdown and the distraction it brought.

And the Raiders coming out and playing as flat as a team would in a preseason game....

SteelCzar76
01-20-2007, 11:33 PM
theres not much tomlin can teach lebeau. after all, lebeau has been in the nfl 10 years longer than tomlin has been alive.

i still havent got an answer to what the tampon cover 2 has accomplished in this league. many will say a sb in 2002, but that was won with grudens insider knowledge plus a complete b. robbins meltdown and the distraction it brought. the 3-4 got the steelers to 6 champ games in 15 years. none of which were lost because of the defense.

so do we trade j. porter for warren sapp?

Give Tomlin a shot Tone. I don't believe he is foolish enough to come in and release Coach Lebeau and or attempt to change our entire defensive scheme. (This would be a logistical nightmare)
I'm sure he (Tomlin) is fully aware that he has the basic components already in place to make a Title run next season. (It's just a matter of fine tuning in regards to personel )

"Hail Caesar,.....HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2007, 11:35 PM
THE TRIB-REVIEW SAYS IT IS GRIMM!!!!!

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, January 21, 2007

Russ Grimm has been offered and has accepted the Steelers' head coaching position, a source in Pittsburgh confirmed late Saturday.
Grimm, 47, succeeds Bill Cowher, who coached the Steelers for 15 seasons before resigning Jan. 5. The hiring of Grimm will be announced Monday at a news conference.

rpv
01-20-2007, 11:35 PM
http://pittsburghlive.com:8000/x/pittsburghtrib/preview/s_489602.html

So who is Bill COwhers successor?????????????????????????????????

steel-EERS
01-20-2007, 11:36 PM
Trib is reporting in it's sunday edition that Russ Grimm has been offered and he has accepted the steeler HC position. What the H*ll is going on???

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 11:38 PM
WTF?!?!?

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 11:39 PM
And the Raiders coming out and playing as flat as a team would in a preseason game....well marvin lewis had a good defense in baltimore. look what good that has done with the bungles. dungys tampa 2 has been great with the colts :rolleyes:

marvin lewis wants to switch to a 3-4. if we want to switch to the 4-3 maybe we should trade our defensive players for theirs.:rolleyes:

i dont know what the rooneys are up to but i hope a new coach will adapt to the steelers way rather than the steelers trying to adapt to a rookie coaches way. im thinking theres alot tomlin can learn from those who came before him.

i cant be all negative though, im hoping tomlin convinced the rooneys he can run a hybrid defense like the pats and ravens do. that is cutting edge and will probably give us the best chance of competing in the future. if tomlin is smart he will ask lebeau and the defensive assistants to stay, and work on a philosophy for the steelers going into the future.

Steel12
01-20-2007, 11:41 PM

I say BS to that.

I really don't want to get into this but the world will never be ova the black/white thing. It is a big deal that black head coaches make the playoffs because so FEW are given the chance to even coach in the NFL and they are making history. Like it or not, it's the truth.

I pray Steeler fans don't worry that we won't succeed because we have a black head coach. I'm glad you don't feel that way.

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2007, 11:41 PM
The closest thing I can compare the last 10 hours to is Bush-Gore election night in 2000.

Unfortunately, look how that turned out.

Signing off for now to await tomorrow's rumors.

Steel12
01-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Trib is reporting in it's sunday edition that Russ Grimm has been offered and he has accepted the steeler HC position. What the H*ll is going on???

Damn shame the media is makin a mockery of the most prestigious job in sports...SMH

tony hipchest
[B]THE TRB-REVIEW SAYS IT IS GRIMM!!!!!so the rooneys intentionally "leak" the tomlin story to get grimm to lower his asking price????

fansince'76
The closest thing I can compare the last 10 hours to is Bush-Gore election night in 2000.

Hopefully, the Supreme Court won't get dragged into this one too. :sofunny:

tony hipchest
01-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Damn shame the media is makin a mockery of the most prestigious job in sports...SMHim not so sure its the media making a mockery of it.

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 11:45 PM
so the rooneys intentionally "leak" the tomlin story to get grimm to lower his asking price????

The plot thickens....

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-20-2007, 11:48 PM

I just think a defensive scheme change with the current personnel with the success they have had coupled with the number of defensive starters that will be up for free agency next year that the change right now at a time when things are far from broken will prove ineffective at best and disasterous at worst.

Minnesota's defense did improve. However, being 8th is deceptive considering that they were tied for LAST against the pass and finished the year with 30 sacks.....6 below the NFL average. Minnesota's defense was not great. I had them all year on my fantasy team and was disappointed almost every week.

I might be wrong....and will happily acknowledge it if I am. I don't necessarily trust the Rooney's to make the best decision for THE FAN. They have proven over the years to be more concerned with their budget than with what the fans would want. I know that not every team can be run by a Steinbrenner and that budets are factors to most teams.

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2007, 11:50 PM
so the rooneys intentionally "leak" the tomlin story to get grimm to lower his asking price????

If so, they suckered both ESPN and SI, who will not be pleased. Mortensen was careful not to get on board until last night - he will be finding out what happened and report it.

Interesting that the P-G has been out of the loop on this story for the last 12 hours.

fansince'76
01-20-2007, 11:55 PM
If so, they suckered both ESPN and SI, who will not be pleased. Mortensen was careful not to get on board until last night - he will be finding out what happened and report it.

And if it turns out that the Rooneys snowjobbed him once, who's to say they won't do it again?

tony hipchest
01-21-2007, 12:00 AM
I just think a defensive scheme change with the current personnel with the success they have had coupled with the number of defensive starters that will be up for free agency next year that the change right now at a time when things are far from broken will prove ineffective at best and disasterous at worst.

Minnesota's defense did improve. However, being 8th is deceptive considering that they were tied for LAST against the pass and finished the year with 30 sacks.....6 below the NFL average. Minnesota's defense was not great. I had them all year on my fantasy team and was disappointed almost every week.

I might be wrong....and will happily acknowledge it if I am. I don't necessarily trust the Rooney's to make the best decision for THE FAN. They have proven over the years to be more concerned with their budget than with what the fans would want. I know that not every team can be run by a Steinbrenner and that budets are factors to most teams.again, i agree. if its not broke dont fix it. ben did have a series of unfortunate events, and the players did get a little caught up in their glory. many deserve blame in the pathetic 8-8 season we had. but to dismantle the coaching staff seems a little extreme. to dismantle the personel on top of that seems almost psychotic. i dont remember the patriots having this sort of knee jerk reaction after their 1st sb winning team underachieved.

which brings me to the money aspect of it all. its bad enough if we lost out on our #1 choise (if it was whiz - who happened to be the hottest coaching canidate in the nfl) to the freaking bidwells in a bidding war. its even worse if the steelers are playing a game with 2 candidiates (whiz and tomlin) to save an extra $500,000/year.

tony hipchest
01-21-2007, 12:04 AM
Interesting that the P-G has been out of the loop on this story for the last 12 hours.maybe the P-G are the "smart" ones not to "play along" so to speak? again, im just speculating. but either tomlins agent leaked this story (that tomlin was the man) or a steeler insider leaked it for leverage to get grimm to lower his asking price.

fansince'76
01-21-2007, 12:10 AM
maybe the P-G are the "smart" ones not to "play along" so to speak? again, im just speculating.

As is most of the media, it appears....

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-21-2007, 12:28 AM

Yes....that is correct. I was just gonna post this (not thinking I was breakin' any news, mind you:toofunny: )

Steelers pick Grimm, source says (http://pittsburghlive.com:8000/x/pittsburghtrib/preview/s_489602.html)

Len Pasquarelli is reporting on ESPN (in a story that appears to be just minutes old) that Mortensen "confirmed" Saturday night that Tomlin is the guy.

Tomlin hiring could bring sweeping defensive changes (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2737739)

WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?

....my head hurts. :help: :smash:

This situation now offically reminds me of a certain monkey and a certain football....

tony hipchest
01-21-2007, 12:45 AM
As is most of the media, it appears....as my speculation continues, im thinking no announcememt will be made by the steelers tomorrow. they probably got grimm to lower his asking price to say, 2 mil/ year for arguments sakes.. if the bears lose the steelers will probably do the same thing with rivera that has been going on with tomlin. maybe rivera says he will take the job for 1.75. they go back to grimm AND rivera with that number and let the chips fall where they may.

the steelers have 3 candidates with no other teams (raiders) looking for a HC. they are smart enough to relize it is a buyers market, and they will play their hand accordingly.

but like ive said, why turn the business aspect of football into a game. its bad enough the business side infiltrates the game as it is.

the steelers already overplayed their hand with cowher (does anyone really believe if money were no option he wouldnt be their #1 choise?) and whiz has slipped through their fingers. to settle for the 5th option now, over half a million, or so, seems rediculous.

OneForTheToe
01-21-2007, 01:01 AM
Of course, it's also possible that the media is just getting ahead of itself. I just don't think the Steelers are negotiating contract details with two candidates at once to see who will take the job at the lowest price. Yes, the Rooneys will try to sign the next coach at the lowest salary possible. However, filling the coaching job with the lowest open bid auction would be unprecidented.

Money is always an issue, but none of these three candidates have ever been a HC before, so I don't think any of them has the leverage individually to get much more than 2 to 2.5 million.

As tony hipchest noted, it's all specualtion until the press conference, where Jerry glanvillie is named the next Steeler's HC at a salary of 12 million per year.

fansince'76
01-21-2007, 01:12 AM
Money is always an issue, but none of these three candidates have ever been a HC before, so I don't think any of them has the leverage to get much more than 2 to 2.5 million.

Yes, but leverage doesn't mean much in a league where a guy like Snyder pays Spurrier $5 million per with no NFL HC experience. Fortunately, there aren't a lot of open HC jobs at the moment.

OneForTheToe
01-21-2007, 01:19 AM
Yes, but leverage doesn't mean much in a league where a guy like Snyder pays Spurrier $5 million per with no NFL HC experience. Fortunately, there aren't a lot of open HC jobs at the moment.

True, but every knows the Rooneys aren't like Snyder. I believe Grimm, Tomlin or Rivera would take the job for under 3 million a year.

fansince'76
01-21-2007, 01:26 AM
True, but every knows the Rooneys aren't like Snyder. I believe Grimm, Tomlin or Rivera would take the job for under 3 million a year.

Please allow me to clarify my point - the Rooneys are a family of millionaires competing with billionaires in the HC pool. It's hard to remain competitive when there are guys like Paul Allen, Jerry Jones and Snyder around breaking the bank to attract and retain both personnel on the field as well as in the coaches' offices.

OneForTheToe
01-21-2007, 01:29 AM
I agree. Thankfully, none of those men are presently looking for a HC.

tony hipchest
01-21-2007, 01:31 AM
Of course, it's also possible that the media is just getting ahead of itself. I just don't think the Steelers are negotiating contract details with two candidates at once to see who will take the job at the lowest price. Yes, the Rooneys will try to sign the next coach at the lowest salary possible. However, filling the coaching job with the lowest open bid auction would be unprecidented.

Money is always an issue, but none of these three candidates have ever been a HC before, so I don't think any of them has the leverage individually to get much more than 2 to 2.5 million.

As tony hipchest noted, it's all specualtion until the press conference, where Jerry glanvillie is named the next Steeler's HC at a salary of 12 million per year.thank you for helping to make my point. this is unprescedented. none of the 3 candidates are in any position to negotiate for a higher salary. if winning the superbowl were the main priority next year, cowher would be our coach and all of our coordinators and assistants wouldnt be left dangling in the wind.

as you said, the rooneys will look to sign the next coach at the lowest salary possible.

weve seen teh snyders and jones' get into pissing matches to see who can outspend the other to win a sb.

the steelers are in a pissing match with the patriots to see who can "outcheap" the other and still win a sb. the "game" of ownership is much bigger than the "game" played on the field. in the end, it is all about business and the bottom line.

fansince'76
01-21-2007, 01:31 AM
I agree. Thankfully, none of those men are presently looking for a HC.

Yep, and for the same reason, thank God for the salary cap.

tony hipchest
01-21-2007, 01:43 AM
True, but every knows the Rooneys aren't like Snyder. I believe Grimm, Tomlin or Rivera would take the job for under 3 million a year.hell, whiz, grimm, tomlin, and rivera would all take the job for 3 mil/year. the rooneys are looking to get a lovie smith type deal. im thinking the rooneys are looking to push the price down into the 1.75 - 2 mil/ year range.

OneForTheToe
01-21-2007, 01:48 AM
thank you for helping to make my point. this is unprescedented. none of the 3 candidates are in any position to negotiate for a higher salary. if winning the superbowl were the main priority next year, cowher would be our coach and all of our coordinators and assistants wouldnt be left dangling in the wind.

as you said, the rooneys will look to sign the next coach at the lowest salary possible.

weve seen teh snyders and jones' get into pissing matches to see who can outspend the other to win a sb.

the steelers are in a pissing match with the patriots to see who can "outcheap" the other and still win a sb. the "game" of ownership is much bigger than the "game" played on the field. in the end, it is all about business and the bottom line.

Well, I didn't see how that was the point of your previous post. I thought your point was that the Steelers were negotiating with two candidates at once to lower the new HC's salary, which I don't personally see them doing. Of course, it's your post, so whatever you intended is what you intended.

OneForTheToe
01-21-2007, 01:50 AM
hell, whiz, grimm, tomlin, and rivera would all take the job for 3 mil/year. the rooneys are looking to get a lovie smith type deal. im thinking the rooneys are looking to push the price down into the 1.75 - 2 mil/ year range.

I think 2 to 2.5 will be the final number.

OneForTheToe
01-21-2007, 02:10 AM
Well Jay Glazer has more about Tomlin's denile at fox sports:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6379790

Seth88101
01-21-2007, 06:04 AM
How can all of these "credible" sources be saying so many different things. Some say Tomlin some say Grimm and they are both now reporting the "official" announcement is coming today or tomorrow!! It's crazy how whatever article you read they are set on that person being the new HC from a credible source within the orginization. ESPN news right now is saying it is definetly Mike Tomlin, i believe it, and i'm happy with Tomlin.

stillers4me
01-21-2007, 08:35 AM
This video had me grinning from ear to ear. Watch the video of Mike Tomlin.......if he gets the job, I do believe he will be giving us fans some "Cowher-esque" moments!!!! I doubt he'd be standing stoney faced on the sideline the whole game!! I can definitely see him in Steeler colors......

http://kdka.com/sports/local_story_021085248.html

floodcitygirl
01-21-2007, 08:51 AM
This video had me grinning from ear to ear. Watch the video of Mike Tomlin.......if he gets the job, I do believe he will be giving us fans some "Cowher-esque" moments!!!! I doubt he'd be standing stoney faced on the sideline the whole game!! I can definitely see him in Steeler colors......

http://kdka.com/sports/local_story_021085248.htmlThanks for that Stillers. I see what you mean! :thumbsup:

83-Steelers-43
01-21-2007, 09:00 AM
No head coach contract yet, Steelers say
Sunday, January 21, 2007

Amid conflicting reports that the Steelers have chosen either Mike Tomlin or Russ Grimm as their next head coach, team spokesman Dave Lockett issued a statement this morning that cleared up little.

"At this point and time, the Steelers have not concluded a contract agreement with a new head coach, nor do we expect to do so today. There will be no other announcements from this office today."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07021/755744-66.stm

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2007, 09:04 AM
No head coach contract yet, Steelers say
Sunday, January 21, 2007

Amid conflicting reports that the Steelers have chosen either Mike Tomlin or Russ Grimm as their next head coach, team spokesman Dave Lockett issued a statement this morning that cleared up little.

"At this point and time, the Steelers have not concluded a contract agreement with a new head coach, nor do we expect to do so today. There will be no other announcements from this office today."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07021/755744-66.stm

So they have made an offer but all terms of the contract have not been negotiated.

That statement eliminates Rivera - so much for him being one of the 3 finalists - hard to see how you are a finalist and then do not even get another interview - it is not as if Tomlin or Grimm had other HC offers pending.

Guess the next churning of the rumor mill will be SportsCenter at 10:30 or NFL Countdown at 11.

floodcitygirl
01-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Great!!! So the waiting continues.......:dang:

stillers4me
01-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Well, alrighty then..........the good news is that it gives us at least 24 hours more to debate the pros and cons of the 3 candidates.......................:sofunny:

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Well, alrighty then..........the good news is that it gives us at 24 hours more to debate the pros and cons of the 3 candidates.......................:sofunny:

I think it is safe to say Rivera is eliminated unless we see him taking lots of calls on his cellphone with his back turned to the field during the game today. :smile:

stillers4me
01-21-2007, 09:22 AM

Sounds to me like they've made their choice but the terms of the contract are still being negotiated.

Or they all want to stay home and watch the games today...................:sofunny:

Jeremy
01-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Would they really need to negotiate a contract with Russ Grimm since he's already under contract?

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Would they really need to negotiate a contract with Russ Grimm since he's already under contract?

Even the Rooneys reluctantly recognize you have to give someone a raise when they are promoted to a HC position.

Jeremy
01-21-2007, 09:37 AM
How much does Grimm make now? I wouldn't think that he's that far off of your normal HC salary.

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Mortenson at 10:40 - "reputable league sources" say Tomlin is the choice. Mort acknowedges Trib-Review says it is Grimm but sticks with story it is Tomlin.

Hire of Tomlin over Grimm is to "re-energize" franchise through outside hire.

Mort "anxious" to see what Rooneys do - so it sounds like it still could be Grimm.

Jeremy
01-21-2007, 09:44 AM
ESPN stands to lose a lot of respect if it turns out to be Grimm.

But they can't lose my respect because they never had it.

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2007, 09:45 AM
How much does Grimm make now? I wouldn't think that he's that far off of your normal HC salary.

There are no public records of NFL coaching salaries but I bet no Steeler assistant makes close to the average HC salary - only the redskins and Dolphins lay out that kind of $$$ for assistants. In fact, I bet the new Steeler HC will not make more than Dom Capers and the 2 Redskins coordinators.

Jeremy
01-21-2007, 09:47 AM
There are no public records of NFL coaching salaries but I bet no Steeler assistant makes close to the average HC salary - only the redskins and Dolphins lay out that kind of $$$ for assistants. In fact, I bet the new Steeler HC will not make more than Dom Capers and the 2 Redskins coordinators.

And of the three teams involved, who has the best chance of making the playoffs? Slick Wayne and the Boy Billionaire have no idea how to run a winning football franchise.

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2007, 09:48 AM
ESPN stands to lose a lot of respect if it turns out to be Grimm.

But they can't lose my respect because they never had it.

It sounds like Mortenson waited to go with the Tomlin story only after he independently sourced it.

If both ESPN and SI got it wrong while a rag like the Trib-Review got it right that would be like the 2006 Raiders winning the Super Bowl.

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2007, 09:50 AM
And of the three teams involved, who has the best chance of making the playoffs? Slick Wayne and the Boy Billionaire have no idea how to run a winning football franchise.

No disagreement from me - simply saying Grimm gets a raise if he gets the job.

Jeremy
01-21-2007, 09:54 AM
It sounds like Mortenson waited to go with the Tomlin story only after he independently sourced it.

If both ESPN and SI got it wrong while a rag like the Trib-Review got it right that would be like the 2006 Raiders winning the Super Bowl.

Mort's been wrong before. Not much, but he has been wrong. SI is totally useless for breaking news because they have some of the worst guys in the business.