PDA

View Full Version : The Official Bill Cowher's Successor Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2006, 04:16 PM
So we can prevent having all of the threads of Retirement and succesors from congesting one thread We'll put all news on a successor here if retirement does happen.

Stillers#1
12-27-2006, 04:22 PM
What if I want to speculate what Cowher is going to do after retiring? Is that worthy of its own thread?

Hines0wnz
12-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Someone from outside the organization.

Preacher
12-27-2006, 04:35 PM
COPIED FROM THE BILL COWHER RETIREMENT THREAD...

that is part of what is driving my question. Lovie Smith being black would make him desirable for the Rooney's. However, Ron Rivera (the DB) has done a great job with thier defense. It would be nice to have another defensive coach as a head coach.

sumo
12-27-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm afraid Mr Rooney has no choice - he will have to hire a minority - so here are the cadidates: Art Shell and Dennis Green ....just kidding - I know - I'm so freakin hilarious - I don't know if the Rooneys will get Lovie away from the Bears - Rivera's a good choice - one name that never comes up -(here comes my bias) I know him because I played high school football with his son -- Jimmy Raye - the guy is a genius - maybe one of the best coordinators ever - he has been interviewed several times but never offered a head coaching position - also Norm Chow - another great coach - I don't mean to start another thread on racism, but would Chow and Rivera count? Oriental and Hispanic - are they considered minorities under the hiring rules?

tony hipchest
12-27-2006, 05:46 PM
What if I want to speculate what Cowher is going to do after retiring? Is that worthy of its own thread?:dang: now i have to copy my thread of the hypothetical scenario of parcels, marty, and dungy being available, which was merged with the retirement thread, and transfer it to the successor thread. :willy:

anyways I want to know if the replacement has to have these qualifications:

1. minority
2. young
3. never been a HC in the NFL
4. believes in the traditional, smashmouth, power run offense
5. is dedicated to our defensive personel and 3-4 image

(i dont think ANYONE meets that criteria)

or are the rooneys ready to overhaul the whole image of steelers footbal as we have known it. a philosophy that has proven to be very successful.

Preacher
12-27-2006, 05:55 PM
:dang: now i have to copy my thread of the hypothetical scenario of parcels, marty, and dungy being available, which was merged with the retirement thread, and transfer it to the successor thread. :willy:

anyways I want to know if the replacement has to have these qualifications:

1. minority
2. young
3. never been a HC in the NFL
4. believes in the traditional, smashmouth, power run offense
5. is dedicated to our defensive personel and 3-4 image

(i dont think ANYONE meets that criteria)

or are the rooneys ready to overhaul the whole image of steelers footbal as we have known it. a philosophy that has proven to be very successful.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Let's!

If SB's are the ultimate arbitor of successful, 1 superbowl in 25 years is not a success

tony hipchest
12-27-2006, 06:04 PM

If SB's are the ultimate arbitor of successful, 1 superbowl in 25 years is not a successthats a very valid point. but 6 afcc games in the past 15 years is nothing to shake a stick at. no other team has had as good an opportunity to be in the big one.

does that mean mike martz and a finesse style offense might be an option? is rex ryan or his brother a darkhorse? does hiring somebody who looks like a drunken, homeless, longhaired, pirate help satisfy the "rooney rule" on minorities?

Preacher
12-27-2006, 06:08 PM
thats a very valid point. but 6 afcc games in the past 15 years is nothing to shake a stick at. no other team has had as good an opportunity to be in the big one.

does that mean mike martz and a finesse style offense might be an option? is rex ryan or his brother a darkhorse? does hiring somebody who looks like a drunken, homeless, longhaired, pirate help satisfy the "rooney rule" on minorities?

ROTFL... no.. that satisfies the Raider rule on picking up hoodlums!

Your right about the AFC games... I think it point to the fact that we need a head coach that can keep the tradition alive, but think outside the box more. Come in and surprise teams that are expecting the same packages from us every week.

tony hipchest
12-27-2006, 06:23 PM
I think it point to the fact that we need a head coach that can keep the tradition alive, but think outside the box more. Come in and surprise teams that are expecting the same packages from us every week.

what we dont know is if cowher was holding ken w's coaching back or if cowher was keeping him in check and preventing more losses. does whiz get credit for the KC game plan? or does he get credit for the baltimore game plans? was opening it up last season in the playoffs cowhers or whiz's idea? we dont know. (im willing to bet the rooneys do though)

MACH1
12-27-2006, 06:31 PM
WHAT IF????

Thats a big what if, Cowher were to take a year off and then come back? Think the Rooneys would let that happen?

Preacher
12-27-2006, 06:49 PM
WHAT IF????

Thats a big what if, Cowher were to take a year off and then come back? Think the Rooneys would let that happen?

I think the answer to that, would be YES... providing the Rooney's KNEW that Cowher was coming back. Actually, I think they would even keep him in contract, keep him in the loop, just let him relax.

however, I don't see that happening.

Preacher
12-27-2006, 06:50 PM
what we dont know is if cowher was holding ken w's coaching back or if cowher was keeping him in check and preventing more losses. does whiz get credit for the KC game plan? or does he get credit for the baltimore game plans? was opening it up last season in the playoffs cowhers or whiz's idea? we dont know. (im willing to bet the rooneys do though)

And that is the biggest question of all!

Tankus_Maximus
12-27-2006, 09:47 PM
I've heard 2 distinct rumors on this matter:

1.) Unhappy with the T.O. & Jerry Jones-show in Dallas...The Tuna ends up in Black & Gold.

2.) Unhappy with the current crop o' crap in Tampa...Chucky goes to Pitt.

Hell...I'm a minority..where do I apply? Forget bein a mod here, I wanna be the HC!!
If I get the job I'll name Tony my O-Coordinator!

Preacher
12-27-2006, 10:10 PM

1.) Unhappy with the T.O. & Jerry Jones-show in Dallas...The Tuna ends up in Black & Gold.

Hell...I'm a minority..where do I apply? Forget bein a mod here, I wanna be the HC!!

WOW... Tuna as a Steeler coach?

DANG... It will either be a boon or bust. No inbetween.

WWIIOwheelz
12-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Whiz or Grimm, won't be anyone else.

Preacher
12-28-2006, 12:40 AM
Whiz or Grimm, won't be anyone else.

I hope not... not after this year.

SteelCzar76
12-28-2006, 04:55 AM
In all Honesty i would like to see Coach Cowher stick around. But if he decides to ride off into the sunset,......here are the guys i wouldn't mind seeing as his successor. (In no particular order)

Ron Rivera
Dan Marino
Rod woodson
Jack Lambert
Rob Ryan (Raiders DC)

I know some might be surprised by the former players. (But i honestly believe that their first hand knowledge and or experience of the game is more than enough of a qualification)

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

83-Steelers-43
12-28-2006, 06:45 AM
I'm guessing this is where these are supposed to go......

If Cowher leaves, captains prefer in-house successor
Thursday, December 28, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If the game Sunday is Bill Cowher's last as the Steelers' coach, the team's captains would like to see the team promote from within.

Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm, also the Steelers' assistant head coach, are considered strong candidates to replace Cowher if he steps down after the season.

"Of course, you would love to stay in house," said wide receiver Hines Ward. "The transition ... the coaching staff knows you and you see some of the same faces."

Guard Alan Faneca agreed with his fellow offensive co-captain.

"If there is a change, you'd always like to see a guy you know and have a feeling for. But, if something happens, you never know which way it's going to go."

Continuity on a team that won the Super Bowl fewer than 11 months ago, plus familiarity with systems on offense and defense were cited as big factors for promoting a Steelers assistant to the head-coaching job.

"I would rather keep it in house, keep it familiar with people you know," said linebacker James Farrior, a defensive co-captain. "We wouldn't have to change so much; the systems would probably stay pretty much the same, you might have a few, little differences. Hopefully, the coaching staff would stay together."

Cowher has run a 3-4 defense throughout his 15 seasons as Steelers coach and four different defensive coordinators, including two stints by Dick LeBeau. His offensive styles have changed through the years, from a brute power offense in the early seasons to more balanced offenses, based on the styles of quarterbacks and running backs he has had.

Whisenhunt and Grimm work together on the game plans. Whisenhunt calls the plays from the press box during the game. Grimm, who coaches from the sideline, helps make the adjustments at halftime.

Both men have turned down chances to be head coaches in the NFL.

Grimm was interviewed three years ago by the Chicago Bears but withdrew his name when he was told which assistant coaches he would have to keep. He was a candidate for some jobs last season, including one in Detroit, but the Lions did not want to wait until after the Super Bowl for him.

Whisenhunt might have had the job in St. Louis, but the Rams weren't willing to wait, either. He turned down a chance to become the Oakland Raiders' coach after they interviewed him. His name has surfaced in Atlanta as a candidate to replace Jim Mora if, as expected, he is fired soon after the season ends.

Whisenhunt, 44, was born in Atlanta, played at Georgia Tech and played his first four seasons in the NFL as a tight end for the Falcons.

First things first with the Steelers, though -- there will be no candidates for the head coaching job unless Cowher vacates it, and none of the team captains said he knows what his head coach will do.

"I don't think anyone in this locker room wants it to be his last game," said defensive co-captain Joey Porter. "In situations like that, not one of us has an impact on how that's going to go. You just kind of stay out of that situation.

"That's the man's business and, hopefully he's here and until he tells me anything different, that's what I'm planning on."

Said Ward, "If he decides to leave, that's his right. Nobody's twisting your arm and saying you have to stay in coaching. He's been here for [15] years. Let's appreciate a coach can stay with one organization that long rather than worrying "Is this his last year? Are the S teelers doomed because Cowher is leaving?'

"Let's just go out and play this game and see what happens when he decides to make his decision."

Faneca believes there won't be an upheaval even if the Steelers do not hire from within.

"I think the organization as a whole is pretty solid and strong. You're not going to see a lot of turmoil like you see in other organizations. If something were to change, it's always going to lean back to how the organization feels; I think it will be pretty steady and smooth."

Talk about Cowher's situation has picked up in the locker room the past few weeks.

"It's one of those things that there are so many questions out there, obviously with coach Cowher," said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. "... With this last game coming up, it's going to be interesting to see what happens afterward."

Roethlisberger said he's realizing that the game Sunday could be his last under Cowher.

"A little bit. It's starting to set in a little bit. No one knows but him what's going to happen."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06362/749503-66.stm

83-Steelers-43
12-28-2006, 06:49 AM
Who could replace Cowher?

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Steelers no doubt have already begun to contemplate their next move in the event Bill Cowher calls it quits following the regular-season finale.

Once that becomes official, they'll be on the clock and confronting the most pivotal decision the organization has faced since Cowher was hired in January 1992.

History suggests the Steelers will go outside the organization in identifying Cowher's replacement.

Practicality suggests they'll promote from within to maintain continuity after winning the Super Bowl a year ago.

The direction in which the Steelers head will reveal how dedicated they are to their process, and whether they concluded that this year's team underachieved or regressed in failing to defend its title.

In 1969 they hired Chuck Noll, then a defensive coach with Baltimore (there were no such things as coordinators at the time).

In 1992 they turned to Cowher, then the defensive coordinator in Kansas City.

The two first-time head coaches combined to win five Super Bowls and last a combined 37 seasons, giving credence to the theory that being able to identify a rising star in the profession can pay huge dividends.

Also interviewed, among others, as the search for Noll's successor played out were John Fox (then Noll's defensive backfield coach), Dennis Green, Mike Holmgren and Dave Wannstedt.

The Steelers knew what they were doing, as far as identifying rising stars in the industry.

They were also coming off a 7-9 season, their second straight without qualifying for the playoffs.

They might wind up 7-9 this season, too, but would a sub-.500 finish or even an 8-8 record stand as an indictment of the team as it presently functions, or merely confirm that the 2006 Steelers underachieved?

If 2006 is viewed as an aberration, the organizational response figures to be more of a tweak than a shakeup. That's a conclusion that lost some credibility when the Steelers got pummeled for a second consecutive time by the new heavyweight in the AFC North Division, the Baltimore Ravens.

Still, it's an argument that might be viewed as viable, given the circumstances of Ben Roethlisberger's offseason and preseason and all those turnovers.

The Steelers had some star power in 1991 with players such as Dermontti Dawson, Carnell Lake, Greg Lloyd and Rod Woodson, and they drafted Levon Kirkland in 1992, all of whom would go on to play in Super Bowl XXX following the conclusion of the 1995 campaign.

Cowher won a division title in his first season, confirming that a shakeup after the Noll era was in order.

The Steelers, likewise, had plenty of star power in 2006, including Alan Faneca, Casey Hampton, Willie Parker, Roethlisberger, Aaron Smith and Troy Polamalu, all of whom played in and won Super Bowl XL last February.

This situation calls for a tweak.

Promoting either assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm or offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt would make the most sense once the due diligence of trying to catch a rising star in the profession has been completed.

The pickings elsewhere might be a little slim after 10 new coaches were hired heading into this season and only three of them (Dick Jauron in Buffalo, Herm Edwards in Kansas City and Art Shell in Oakland) were retreads.

The assistant with the most appeal league-wide this offseason will be San Diego offensive coordinator Cam Cameron.

The Steelers already have such a coach (Whisenhunt). They'd be better served sticking with what they know works, and with a coach who already has a working relationship with defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

The Steelers found life after Noll and will again after Cowher.

They'll find it quicker with a relatively seamless transition.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_486002.html

Big D
12-28-2006, 08:42 AM
I havent been impressed with the play calling of ken whisenhunt. And with the offensive lines inconsistancy I wouldnt want russ grimm either. I'm nervous about anyone being hired within the cowhers staff. Look at the list of former cowher coaches and how there stints as head coaches ended up. Lebeau,haslett,mularkey,gailey,capers just to name a few. I'm a big fan of Viking defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin. But I think Rob Ryan or Ron Rivera would be good canidates as well. I think Kirk Ferenz would be a good canidate but I dont think he would even interview.

tony hipchest
12-28-2006, 08:59 AM
not sure what thread to put this in but i was listening to haynes on his weekly spot. they asked him if it seemed like it was cowhers last game at heinz field last weekend and he said no.

he commented on cowher at half time during the baltimore loss. he seems to not understand where all this lack of emotion talk comes from. he said cowher was so fired up (he couldnt repeat what he said) and his speach was so motivational, that if he were healthy he wouldve suited up to go play.

haynes is another who doesnt want to see cowher go, but he understands if he does. he is another who wants to see grimm or whiz take over and feels either is more than capable.

does the teams desire for continuity equal an acceptance of mediocrity? id have to say no but thats up for debate. after all the steelers have been one of the best teams in the nfl the past 15 years. i gotta look at this year as a fluke.

a minor tweak is needed not a major shake up.

4n2t0
12-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Rumors floating around...

Snyder in Washington isn't happy and he's prepared to pay off the current staff and make Cowher the highest paid coach in the NFL.

This was on "The Herd" with Colin Cowherd today.

My personal opinion; it would be exciting to see a different offensive system come to Pittsburgh. I love the 3-4 defense but if that has to go I can live with it. Can you tell I'm not afraid of change? lol. Actually I welcome it as the Steelers have been the Steelers for a long time. (Most of you know what I mean) ;-)

P.S. I still like to win, A LOT! So that can't change. Ok, Ok, I'm pushing it.

MACH1
12-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Lets just hope they pick the right man. As with the loyalty the Rooneys show he could be around for a while. If they pick wrong we could be in for 3-5 years of being a bad team before they even think about replacing the HC.
I think thats about my biggest fear in this whole thing is getting into the coaching carousal for the next umpteen years.

Big D
12-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Rumors floating around...

Snyder in Washington isn't happy and he's prepared to pay off the current staff and make Cowher the highest paid coach in the NFL.

This was on "The Herd" with Colin Cowherd today.

My personal opinion; it would be exciting to see a different offensive system come to Pittsburgh. I love the 3-4 defense but if that has to go I can live with it. Can you tell I'm not afraid of change? lol. Actually I welcome it as the Steelers have been the Steelers for a long time. (Most of you know what I mean) ;-)

P.S. I still like to win, A LOT! So that can't change. Ok, Ok, I'm pushing it.

Well here is something. What if we get two first rd draft picks for cowher. Or a deal similar to what the raiders got for gruden. If it's a good push for our future i would make the deal. Keep in mind the redskins are going to have a top ten pick

Big D
12-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Lets just hope they pick the right man. As with the loyalty the Rooneys show he could be around for a while. If they pick wrong we could be in for 3-5 years of being a bad team before they even think about replacing the HC.
I think thats about my biggest fear in this whole thing is getting into the coaching carousal for the next umpteen years.

thats one thing i'm not worried about. The Rooneys have done a great job at picking coaches. And I think they know how to sense what a great coach is

Big D
12-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Beano cook just said that the steeler job would be the only job he would leave iowa for. I was raised on the south dakota/minnesota/nebraska/iowa border and I just got off the phone with my buddy. He said that all the speculation around iowa is that ferenz will be taking over the steelers. I would love that pick

clevestinks
12-28-2006, 12:55 PM
thats one thing i'm not worried about. The Rooneys have done a great job at picking coaches. And I think they know how to sense what a great coach is

It took forever for them to start picking winning HC`s. Noll was the first real good coach they ever had.

Big D
12-28-2006, 01:00 PM
It took forever for them to start picking winning HC`s. Noll was the first real good coach they ever had.

nice av and sig by the way.

clevestinks
12-28-2006, 01:01 PM
nice av and sig by the way.

Thanks to you! LOL But i`m still expirementing

floodcitygirl
12-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks to you! LOL But i`m still expirementingI am LOVING that Troy sig!!!!! :thumbsup:

clevestinks
12-28-2006, 01:05 PM
I am LOVING that Troy sig!!!!! :thumbsup:

Thank you, I wanted a support Cowher avatar also

BigDuke6
12-28-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm afraid Mr Rooney has no choice - he will have to hire a minority - so here are the cadidates: Art Shell and Dennis Green ....just kidding - I know - I'm so freakin hilarious - I don't know if the Rooneys will get Lovie away from the Bears - Rivera's a good choice - one name that never comes up -(here comes my bias) I know him because I played high school football with his son -- Jimmy Raye - the guy is a genius - maybe one of the best coordinators ever - he has been interviewed several times but never offered a head coaching position - also Norm Chow - another great coach - I don't mean to start another thread on racism, but would Chow and Rivera count? Oriental and Hispanic - are they considered minorities under the hiring rules?

Atleast Dennis Green knows that the Bears are who he thought they were.
Cant you see him as HC of the Steelers next year ?
"the Browns....are what we thought they were".

Big D
12-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Atleast Dennis Green knows that the Bears are who he thought they were.
Cant you see him as HC of the Steelers next year ?
"the Browns....are what we thought they were".

people talk alot of sh!t about denny green. But the man knows how to draft. Look at all the great players he drafted in minnesota and arizona

sumo
12-28-2006, 01:53 PM
I think the answer to that, would be YES... providing the Rooney's KNEW that Cowher was coming back. Actually, I think they would even keep him in contract, keep him in the loop, just let him relax.

however, I don't see that happening.

In the words of Stan's mom from Southpark -- WHAT, WHAT, WHAT!!!! I know Cowher's a great coach and all - but take a year off? - what do you tell the team, fans, city, etc about the interim coach? - don't get behind this guy - he's just filling in for the chin who needs a little R&R - what if the guy goes 12-4 and takes the team to the playoffs, makes the Ravens and Bengals look like Chumps etc - then we have to say "sorry dude - we worship the chin - get lost" -

sumo
12-28-2006, 02:09 PM
people talk alot of sh!t about denny green. But the man knows how to draft. Look at all the great players he drafted in minnesota and arizona

I love Denny - I don't have his quote in my signature to mock him - I just thought it was funny -- I'm a huge Cards fan - and I'm bummed that he didn't work out as the coach...

MACH1
12-28-2006, 02:12 PM
In the words of Stan's mom from Southpark -- WHAT, WHAT, WHAT!!!! I know Cowher's a great coach and all - but take a year off? - what do you tell the team, fans, city, etc about the interim coach? - don't get behind this guy - he's just filling in for the chin who needs a little R&R - what if the guy goes 12-4 and takes the team to the playoffs, makes the Ravens and Bengals look like Chumps etc - then we have to say "sorry dude - we worship the chin - get lost" -

And if the guy goes 4-12???? you want to keep him around???

Big D
12-28-2006, 02:19 PM

we thankfully dont have this to worry about. The steelers would never ever ever allow cowher to do this.

Atlanta Dan
12-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Beano cook just said that the steeler job would be the only job he would leave iowa for. I was raised on the south dakota/minnesota/nebraska/iowa border and I just got off the phone with my buddy. He said that all the speculation around iowa is that ferenz will be taking over the steelers. I would love that pick

Ferentz (USC HS class of 1973) was one year behind me at Upper St. Clair, which puts him north of 50, which makes him significantly older than Whiz and, for that matter, older than Cowher.

For reasons including his age, the track record of college HCs success in the pros (I know he was a NFL assistant), and the Rooneys presumably not having a taste for having a HC break a contract (assuming Ferentz does not have a clause that gets him out for a pro or Penn State HC offer), I do not think it will be Kirk Ferentz.

Big D
12-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Ferentz (USC HS class of 1973) was one year behind me at Upper St. Clair, which puts him north of 50, which makes him significantly older than Whiz and, for that matter, older than Cowher.

For reasons including his age, the track record of college HCs success in the pros (I know he was a NFL assistant), and the Rooneys presumably not having a taste for having a HC break a contract (assuming Ferentz does not have a clause that gets him out for a pro or Penn State HC offer), I do not think it will be Kirk Ferentz.

who would you want coaching the steelers?

Atlanta Dan
12-28-2006, 02:52 PM
who would you want coaching the steelers?

Notwithstanding the current players' understandable interest in minimal disruption and an article in the Trib-Review today that said this team just needs a "tweak" (even though the Saints are the only team with a winning record the Steelers have beaten this year?), I am in favor of going outside the organization because internal promotions are not usually successful. To me that means a coordinator from a playoff team this year, with the likely suspects being Rivera from Chicago or Cameron in San Diego.

Of course the number of HC hires last year arguably has left the talent pool shallow. I am linking to an article from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that argues Mora may be safe for another year becuase of the available alternatives, which includes these statements:

Ken Whisenhunt: Pittsburgh?s offensive coordinator easily is the best assistant out there, and he?s a Georgia Tech alum. But he?s Bill Cowher?s heir apparent, and Cowher might be finished Sunday.

Mike Singletary (San Francisco), Ron Rivera (Chicago), Cam Cameron (San Diego): All have credentials as assistants. All are Jim Mora, three years ago.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/sportscolumns/entries/2006/12/27/lack_of_replace.html

I simply am not as sold as many others on Whiz being clearly the best coordinator out there.

Big D
12-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Mike Singletary would be another great canidate. He often times is forgotten about because he is burried in san francisco.

Big D
12-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Notwithstanding the current players' understandable interest in minimal disruption and an article in the Trib-Review today that said this team just needs a "tweak" (even though the Saints are the only team with a winning record the Steelers have beaten this year?), I am in favor of going outside the organization because internal promotions are not usually successful. To me that means a coordinator from a playoff team this year, with the likely suspects being Rivera from Chicago or Cameron in San Diego.

Of course the number of HC hires last year arguably has left the talent pool shallow. I am linking to an article from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that argues Mora may be safe for another year becuase of the available alternatives, which includes these statements:

Ken Whisenhunt: Pittsburgh?s offensive coordinator easily is the best assistant out there, and he?s a Georgia Tech alum. But he?s Bill Cowher?s heir apparent, and Cowher might be finished Sunday.

Mike Singletary (San Francisco), Ron Rivera (Chicago), Cam Cameron (San Diego): All have credentials as assistants. All are Jim Mora, three years ago.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/sportscolumns/entries/2006/12/27/lack_of_replace.html

I simply am not as sold as many others on Whiz being clearly the best coordinator out there.

You mentioned in your other post about Ferentz age. Wouldnt cam cameron and ron rivera be in there 50's as well

sumo
12-28-2006, 03:56 PM

No then you kick the interim guy out - so the Chin's new contract would be like this:

Take 2007 off - Rooneys pay for various cruises ie Bahamas, Franch Riviera, Puerto Rico, etc

While on your cruises, if the Steelers finish 9-7 or better, make the playoffs, and win at least 1 each against the Bengals and Ravens - just keep cruising (don't call us - we'll call you)..

Now if the interim coach goes 8-8 or worse, then we will send a helicopter to whichever cruise ship you happen to be on and bring you back - please have spit ready and waiting to fly...

Kindest regards,

The Rooneys

PS - we didn't spell the word French wrong that's just the way we like to say it

Big D
12-28-2006, 03:58 PM
No then you kick the interim guy out - so the Chin's new contract would be like this:

Take 2007 off - Rooneys pay for various cruises ie Bahamas, Franch Riviera, Puerto Rico, etc

While on your cruises, if the Steelers finish 9-7 or better, make the playoffs, and win at least 1 each against the Bengals and Ravens - just keep cruising (don't call us - we'll call you)..

Now if the interim coach goes 8-8 or worse, then we will send a helicopter to whichever cruise ship you happen to be on and bring you back - please have spit ready and waiting to fly...

Kindest regards,

The Rooneys

PS - we didn't spell the word French wrong that's just the way we like to say it
this would be devestating to our organization. And it would set the team back. You have to gear this team for the future.

Atlanta Dan
12-28-2006, 04:07 PM
You mentioned in your other post about Ferentz age. Wouldnt cam cameron and ron rivera be in there 50's as well

Cameron was born in February 1961 - here is a link to his bio on the Chargers web site

http://www.chargers.com/team/coaches/cam-cameron.htm

Here is Rivera's bio from the Bears web site. Wikipedia says he was born in 1962.

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/coach.asp?coach_id=2

Big D
12-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Cameron was born in February 1961 - here is a link to his bio on the Chargers web site

http://www.chargers.com/team/coaches/cam-cameron.htm

Here is Rivera's bio from the Bears web site. Wikipedia says he was born in 1962.

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/coach.asp?coach_id=2

I dont know what you know about Mike Tomlin. But he is my number one choice. He is the same age cowher was when he took over. He also comes from the same coaching tree that has brought out Marvin Lewis, Monte Kiffin, Rod Marinelli and herman Edwards. I think he is a great young mind. I think he would have an instant impact

Elvis
12-28-2006, 04:27 PM
:tt02: :coffee: :tt02:
I think that Dick Lebeau would be a great choice.. he is a defensive minded guy. Russ Grimm will end up in Washington. And I think that Whiz will end up in Arizona. If we dont have Lebeau then Tomlin would be my choice or Norm Chow.
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!:wave:

Big D
12-28-2006, 04:29 PM
:tt02: :coffee: :tt02:
I think that Dick Lebeau would be a great choice.. he is a defensive minded guy. Russ Grimm will end up in Washington. And I think that Whiz will end up in Arizona. If we dont have Lebeau then Tomlin would be my choice or Norm Chow.
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!:wave:

Dick Lebeau is too old. And he failed big with the bungals

83-Steelers-43
12-28-2006, 04:30 PM
I'd pass on LeBeau. He's been there and done that. Didn't fair very well. Plus, he's stated in the past that he wants to stick to being a DC.

Preacher
12-28-2006, 04:34 PM
this would be devestating to our organization. And it would set the team back. You have to gear this team for the future.

I am not saying that the situation would happen... it probably won't. But what I am saying is that if Cowher askes for it... we give it too him. He is a proven coach, and the team LOVES him. If he needs a year to relax. Give it too him.

In the mean time.. He stays on the phone with his assistants. Wiz steps in and coaches.. half the people around here think he will coach anyway.

If he does good... guess what, his stock skyrockets and he goes to head coach somewhere else. Good for him.

If not? Then he drops back to coordinator when Cowher comes back.

Now, I STILL DO NOT THINK THIS IS PLAUSIBLE. COWHER WON'T DO THIS.

It is just a what if... how it COULD happen. BUt if Cowher asks for it, I say give it too him.

Big D
12-28-2006, 04:36 PM
I am not saying that the situation would happen... it probably won't. But what I am saying is that if Cowher askes for it... we give it too him. He is a proven coach, and the team LOVES him. If he needs a year to relax. Give it too him.

In the mean time.. He stays on the phone with his assistants. Wiz steps in and coaches.. half the people around here think he will coach anyway.

If he does good... guess what, his stock skyrockets and he goes to head coach somewhere else. Good for him.

If not? Then he drops back to coordinator when Cowher comes back.

Now, I STILL DO NOT THINK THIS IS PLAUSIBLE. COWHER WON'T DO THIS.

It is just a what if... how it COULD happen. BUt if Cowher asks for it, I say give it too him.

I think this would start a pattern in the nfl. I would easily rather have sundays game be the last game with us before I would want this

tony hipchest
12-28-2006, 05:10 PM
pat kirwan feels the steelers will go in house and whiz has the edge over grimm (how many offensive line coaches go on to be HC's? he reminded todays sirius listeners of a sit down he had with whiz in the pre season during training camp when they were discussing his interview with the raiders after last season. kirwan asked him if he would like to eventually go elsewhere to be a head coach.

kens reply was "only if they let me do it the steelers way".

i dont think the rooneys are looking for an image makeover. and they seem to love stability. i think lebeau would stay and d. perry would continue to be groomed as his sucessor. whiz is one of the best coordinators out there.

rivera is good, to but the knock on the bears has always been the division they play in. keep in mind that lebeau would be doing pretty well if he were coaching in the nfc north. the steelers have only lost 1 game to the NFC since he returned 3 years ago and that was a nailbiter to atl. 12-1 (if you count the superbowl). riveras great defense didnt exactly shut down the steelers last time they played.

Preacher
12-28-2006, 05:14 PM
I think this would start a pattern in the nfl. I would easily rather have sundays game be the last game with us before I would want this

I agree with you.

It is just that for all Cowher has done... if he needs this, I think it honorable to give it to him. Especially if he would promise another 10 to 15 years without drama.

t-sizzlez
12-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Bill has done a great job as our coach! THX for all those years BIll but Ron Rivera, Lovie smith or mike singeltary would be good choices

Preacher
12-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Bill has done a great job as our coach! THX for all those years BIll but Ron Rivera, Lovie smith or mike singeltary would be good choices

I still say Ron or Lovie... I just LOVE the D schemes they would bring... Let them be mixed in with what we already have... WOW

augustashark
12-29-2006, 01:10 AM
If we can get chuckie, that would be ok with me.

j-dawg
12-29-2006, 01:19 AM
who cares.. who cares? the steelers are a dominate team... they could have pee wee herman, and this team would still kick a$$!

Preacher
12-29-2006, 03:37 AM
who cares.. who cares? the steelers are a dominate team... they could have pee wee herman, and this team would still kick a$$!

I know your being funny and flippant...

but actually that isn't true. Players respond to coaches. That is why Steeler teams have always seemed to play above thier collective ability.

tony hipchest
12-29-2006, 08:55 AM
who cares.. who cares? the steelers are a dominate team... they could have pee wee herman, and this team would still kick a$$!i bet marvin lewis could come in and immediately turn the steelers into an 8-8 team for the next 5-7 years.

caseydog
12-29-2006, 10:29 AM

If SB's are the ultimate arbitor of successful, 1 superbowl in 25 years is not a success

I don't agreewith the premise of SBs being the ultimate definition of success.

I live in Dallas where nothing matters but the playoffs and the SB -- the whole season is measured by that one game at the end. As a consequence, the stadium is packed when the Cowchips are winning, and full of crickets when they are losing. Add in a revolving door of head-coaches, and an endless list of "playmakers" purchased from other teams who are more "troublemaker" than "playmaker", and you have a soap-opera football team.

The Cowpies "bought" their 90's SBs (when the Cowboys met the steelers in SB XXX, the CB's team salary was more than double that of the Steelers), and then salary cap thumped them, and Jerry Jones has been flailing around for about ten years trying to buy another "super-team". Forget the hard work and sacrifice, he wants a SB team NOW! Watching them lately is like watching a Jerry Springer marathon. And, Dallas Cowboy football is a feast-or-famine scenario -- they either win the SB, or they suck.

Only one team each year get's to win the big game. If SBs become too important, the season becomes really short for 31 teams and their fans.

I like a team where any given week, they have a good chance of winning, which means, every week, you have a good game to watch.

Superbowls are the icing on the cake, to me, not the cake itself.

G

Atlanta Dan
12-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Would anyone consider Norv Turner? His history with QBs could turn Ben around for sure , he made Gus Frerotte a ProBowler. His HC experience doesn't bode well, but really how much reliabilty do you give any bad records accumulated while coaching the Raiders or Redskins. Basically both those owners coached thru him and then blamed him for not getting it done.

Some excellent coaches are excellent assistant coaches. Turner is a great offensive coordinator but hiring a two time retread is exactly what the Rooney Rule is not designed to achieve. No way it will be Norv Turner.

Borski
12-29-2006, 04:07 PM

I actuly like Chucky, dont know how he'd fair as Steeler HC though

Big D
12-29-2006, 04:21 PM
Would anyone consider Norv Turner? His history with QBs could turn Ben around for sure , he made Gus Frerotte a ProBowler. His HC experience doesn't bode well, but really how much reliabilty do you give any bad records accumulated while coaching the Raiders or Redskins. Basically both those owners coached thru him and then blamed him for not getting it done.

Hell no. He failed miserably twice

Preacher
12-29-2006, 06:16 PM
You know what will end up happening...

they will pick a person that NO ONE has heard of....

and he will run off another 15 years and multiple victories.

Big D
12-29-2006, 06:27 PM

and that guy will be mike tomlin

Atlanta Dan
12-29-2006, 07:33 PM
I am not wildly enthusiastic about the choice but I think it will be Whiz - sort of like a third term through electing the VP when the incumbent President is not running for re-election.

Livinginthe past
12-29-2006, 07:48 PM
I don't agreewith the premise of SBs being the ultimate definition of success.

I live in Dallas where nothing matters but the playoffs and the SB -- the whole season is measured by that one game at the end. As a consequence, the stadium is packed when the Cowchips are winning, and full of crickets when they are losing. Add in a revolving door of head-coaches, and an endless list of "playmakers" purchased from other teams who are more "troublemaker" than "playmaker", and you have a soap-opera football team.

The Cowpies "bought" their 90's SBs (when the Cowboys met the steelers in SB XXX, the CB's team salary was more than double that of the Steelers), and then salary cap thumped them, and Jerry Jones has been flailing around for about ten years trying to buy another "super-team". Forget the hard work and sacrifice, he wants a SB team NOW! Watching them lately is like watching a Jerry Springer marathon. And, Dallas Cowboy football is a feast-or-famine scenario -- they either win the SB, or they suck.

Only one team each year get's to win the big game. If SBs become too important, the season becomes really short for 31 teams and their fans.

I like a team where any given week, they have a good chance of winning, which means, every week, you have a good game to watch.

Superbowls are the icing on the cake, to me, not the cake itself.

G

Hey, great post.

The SB is important of course, but being consistently competetive has its own rewards.

Of course, you have to have to win the big one once in a while or else you get labelled a choker.

NM

touchdownward
12-29-2006, 08:13 PM

That's exactly what's been running around in the back of my mind too.
I remember when Cowher was hired, I wondered Bill who? I had never heard of him.

My logical side says it's going to be the Wiz.

83-Steelers-43
12-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Talented crop of coaches would line up for Cowher's job

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 30, 2006

Bill Cowher's future as Steelers head coach is a topic of interest -- even for Steelers fans 3,000 miles from Pittsburgh.

The fans who regularly gather for Steelers games at Sideline Sports Bar in Bellevue, Wash., recently got to talking about possible replacements for Cowher.

In the event Cowher does step down -- he could make a decision on his future within a week -- former Sewickley resident Glenn McQuiston and his Steelers-watching pals have come up with a successor.

Like politicians working toward a consensus, they debated as facts and opinions flowed like cold beer. Finally, the 25 or so that were watching the Steelers-Panthers game on Dec. 17 agreed that the Steelers' next coach should be ... Mike Singletary.

Whether the Steelers would have any interest in Singletary, a tough, defensive-minded assistant coach for the 49ers, or anyone else outside of their staff is anybody's guess.

The Steelers have only hired two head coaches since 1969, so history does not offer much of a guide of what will happen if Cowher leaves. Also, it is not a given that Cowher will walk away from the job he has held since 1992.

There has been rampant speculation about Cowher's future and who will replace him if he does coach his last game for the Steelers on Sunday in Cincinnati.

The line of succession figures to start with Steelers assistant coaches Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt. Other potential candidates include Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, because the Steelers went outside of the organization when they hired Chuck Noll in 1969 and later Cowher.

Rising assistants like Singletary (and those in his mold) and even college coaches like Greg Schiano could come into play.

Schiano has become a hot coaching commodity based on the job he has done at Rutgers, and he has NFL coaching experience.

What can be said with certainty is that the Steelers, from management to the players, will want a swift resolution to the Cowher situation.

"You want to see it get over with quick," veteran wide receiver Hines Ward said, "and you want to know what you've got going into the offseason, who's going to be the guy and stuff like that because everyone in the organization will be affected if he leaves. "

If Cowher leaves, Whisenhunt, the Steelers offensive coordinator, and Grimm, the team's offensive line and assistant head coach, would become two of the top candidates to replace him.

They have interviewed for NFL head coaching jobs, and their familiarity with the Steelers and how they do things would give them an advantage.

"You would kind of want it to be someone that's already here," said nose tackle Casey Hampton, "because they know how things operate around here, and we don't have a bad thing going so it's not like you have to clean house."

Whisenhunt turned down the Raiders' job last year, and if the Falcons fire Jim Mora Jr. after the season, Whisenhunt, an Atlanta native, figures to get serious consideration for the job.

Grimm, a finalist for the Bears' job a couple of years ago, could also draw heavy interest for a head coaching position outside of the organization.

"I think we've just got to have faith to believe in whatever the ownership decides," safety Troy Polamalu said. "They haven't done wrong whatever they have been doing."

But, Polamalu added, "I think they would do wrong if they don't keep Coach Cowher around if it comes down to that. He lives and breathes Pittsburgh."

Indeed, Cowher is uniquely suited to Pittsburgh because of his roots here and his understanding of the culture and just how much the Steelers are a part of it.

"I couldn't imagine someone like Pete Carroll coaching somewhere like Pittsburgh, just because he's a Southern California type of guy," Polamalu said of his former coach at USC. "Coach Cowher is a Pittsburgh type of guy: blue collar, and he's shed that light on all of his players and all of the players that have come through here. Same with Chuck Noll. I think that it would be very hard to find someone of that type to replace him."

If Cowher leaves and the Steelers do look beyond their coaching staff for a successor, Rivera would have to be a prime candidate considering the job he has done in Chicago.

The Bears allowed the fewest points in the NFL in 2005 and have one of the top defenses in the league again this season.

"I don't think the Rooneys make the choice on the one who's the most popular," said former NFL player Bob Trumpy, who is a color analyst for CBS Radio Sports/Westwood One. "I would certainly have Ron Rivera on my list. I don't care what the circumstances are, it's very difficult to overlook a guy like Ron Rivera and the job he's done since he's been there. Pittsburgh is defined by the way they play defense."

And, to some degree, they are defined by Cowher, who has yet to go public with his decision.

"He definitely hasn't sat us down and told us," Polamalu said, "and I would imagine we'd be the first ones to hear from him."

What others are saying

Here is a national perspective from those who cover the NFL about coach Bill Cowher and what will happen if he leaves the Steelers.

Michael Silver, Sports Illustrated senior writer

"To me, they'd be very wise not to lose Ken Whisenhunt if Bill leaves. He's not only an incredible play-caller, but there's something about him. He carries himself like a head coach. He gets the Steelers culture."

Jay Glazer, FOX Sports

"I've gotten the sense from before training camp and even during minicamp that (Cowher) was gone after this season. The assistants have thought for a long time that he's gone. I don't think they could go wrong either way (Russ Grimm or Whisenhunt).

Dan Pompei, Sporting News

"I think it's been building toward a potential coaching change. You can't ignore the fact Cowher has been there for 16 years. Expectations become a little unrealistic. Relationships become a little stale. The rule used to be you stay for 10 years and move on. Cowher smashed that rule.

"The guys I would say are the ones who are getting the most play: Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, who has head coaching experience (at Indiana); Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, who would also fulfill the minority coaching requirement (Rooney Rule); Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz; (former Green Bay coach) Mike Sherman of the Houston Texans."

Tom Pedulla, USA Today

(Whisenhunt) is someone you'd probably want to keep, and he's someone who would probably leave if you don't give him the job."

-- John Harris

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_486334.html

Preacher
12-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Well.... there is another vote for Riveria..

I really do think thats great.

Big D
12-30-2006, 08:09 AM
if i had to pick 3 canidates these would be my three guys.

4. Russ Grimm
Assistant head coach/offensive line, Pittsburgh

Grimm is respected by coaches and players alike because he is a tough, no-nonsense straight shooter who coaches like he played back in his days as one of the top "Hogs" in Washington. He has a great understanding of offensive line play, keeps things simple and is a fine communicator. Cowher promoted Grimm to assistant head coach this past year as a testament to his abilities. Grimm went to the University of Pittsburgh, is from the area and would be a fine candidate to succeed Cowher for the head job of the Steelers.

7. Mike Tomlin
Defensive coordinator, Minnesota
In his first year in Minnesota, Tomlin seamlessly instituted a new defensive scheme (Tampa 2) with fine results. This is the scheme in vogue across the NFL right now and this bright young coordinator has quickly made a name for himself. He utilized the talent that was there for him extremely well. Minnesota's defense was extraordinary against the run, generated turnovers with regularity and made a lot of big plays. The Vikings' defense will only get better in his second season as coordinator and Tomlin's star is only getting brighter.

9. Rob Ryan
Defensive coordinator, Oakland
Ryan has done an unbelievable job in getting his players to buy into his system. He has learned under Belichick, not to mention his father, Buddy Ryan, one of the best defensive minds in NFL history. Ryan relates extremely well to players and is an outstanding teacher of the game. He has a passion for evaluating and developing players who best fit his system. Without question, both Rob and his twin brother Rex (Baltimore) were born and groomed to become head coaches in the NFL as legacies of the founding father of the 46 defense.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-30-2006, 08:13 AM
Has anyone heard rumors about Jeff Fisher showing interest in leaving the Titans if the Pittsburgh job should open up?...when is his contract up?....and could the division between the front office and him in last years draft drive him to another team if the right position opened?

Big D
12-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Has anyone heard rumors about Jeff Fisher showing interest in leaving the Titans if the Pittsburgh job should open up?...when is his contract up?....and could the division between the front office and him in last years draft drive him to another team if the right position opened?

no. He is expected to sign a long term contract soon.

clevestinks
12-30-2006, 08:17 AM
I wanted a young, defensive minded coach, so i guess if given the three choices of Big D I would go with:

Mike Tomlin, defensive coordinator; born March 15, 1972, Hampton, Va. Wide receiver William & Mary 1991-94. College coach: Virginia Military Institute 1995, Memphis 1996, Tennessee-Martin 1997, Arkansas State 1997-98, Cincinnati 1999-2000. Pro coach: Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2001-05, joined Vikings in 2006.

Big D
12-30-2006, 08:20 AM
I wanted a young, defensive minded coach, so i guess if given the three choices of Big D I would go with:

Mike Tomlin, defensive coordinator; born March 15, 1972, Hampton, Va. Wide receiver William & Mary 1991-94. College coach: Virginia Military Institute 1995, Memphis 1996, Tennessee-Martin 1997, Arkansas State 1997-98, Cincinnati 1999-2000. Pro coach: Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2001-05, joined Vikings in 2006.

This guy is a genious. My parents live on the south dakota/minnesota border. And when I was home last weekend all I could hear about and read about was how great this guy is and the team that hires him as the next head coach has a future hall of famer waiting for them.

Atlanta Dan
12-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com has a good article on the disruption caused by coaching changes and how to try to minimize it.

What happens to the Steelers' current defensive personnel? Or to current coordinator Dick LeBeau and his trademark 3-4 zone-blitz schemes? Heck, what becomes of the 3-4 defense in Pittsburgh, period, under a new guy who might demand the more conventional 4-3 front?

"Now you see some of the reasons it's so hard to let a coach go and to pick a new one," said one longtime NFL executive whose team is not considering a coaching change in the coming offseason. "It means an upheaval at a lot of levels. It changes people's lives. It changes personnel and [schemes]. It changes just about everything you do. It really is a traumatic event. Which is why you agonize so much over it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2713801

I suppose the flip side to "if it is not broke don't fix it" is "if it is broke fix it." Almost all coaching changes involve firing the HC because the HC's system is not winning games, so in those cases the disruption of getting a new HC is worth it, since how much do you have to lose. What the Steelers are facing is so unusual it is hard to figure whether they simply will attempt to maintain the status quo.

Based on LeBeau's comments in the Trib-Review it does not sound like he is planning to go anywhere (contrary to rumors I have read that he is retiring). Further indication to me that it will be Whiz as HC, with many of the current coaches (not Grimm, who will look to be a HC or coordinator elsewhere and certainly not the special teams coach) being retained. Not sure if that is the way to go.

Big D
12-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com has a good article on the disruption caused by coaching changes and how to try to minimize it.

What happens to the Steelers' current defensive personnel? Or to current coordinator Dick LeBeau and his trademark 3-4 zone-blitz schemes? Heck, what becomes of the 3-4 defense in Pittsburgh, period, under a new guy who might demand the more conventional 4-3 front?

"Now you see some of the reasons it's so hard to let a coach go and to pick a new one," said one longtime NFL executive whose team is not considering a coaching change in the coming offseason. "It means an upheaval at a lot of levels. It changes people's lives. It changes personnel and [schemes]. It changes just about everything you do. It really is a traumatic event. Which is why you agonize so much over it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2713801

I suppose the flip side to "if it is not broke don't fix it" is "if it is broke fix it." Almost all coaching changes involve firing the HC because the HC's system is not winning games, so in those cases the disruption of getting a new HC is worth it, since how much do you have to lose. What the Steelers are facing is so unusual it is hard to figure whether they simply will attempt to maintain the status quo.

Based on LeBeau's comments in the Trib-Review it does not sound like he is planning to go anywhere (contrary to rumors I have read that he is retiring). Further indication to me that it will be Whiz as HC, with many of the current coaches (not Grimm, who will look to be a HC or coordinator elsewhere and certainly not the special teams coach) being retained. Not sure if that is the way to go.

If I had to pick between Whisenhunt or Grimm I would choose grimm. As many of you may remeber I was extreamly high on Grimm before the season. I think he has alot of resemblance of Bill Cowher and would add fire to this team. The offensive lines inconsistancy has concerned me this year. I think Grimm would be a great head coach

Big D
12-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Rumor going around cinci. Got this from The Cinci enquirer
RUMOR MILL: A popular rumor going through town: Lewis will leave the Bengals to replace Bill Cowher as Steelers coach.

Cowher is expected to announce his retirement after the season finale Sunday in Cincinnati. The Steelers were eliminated last week from playoff contention.

Lewis is under contract with the Bengals through the 2010 season but was a member of Cowher's first Steelers staff (1992-95) as linebackers coach. Lewis also is a Pittsburgh native

tony hipchest
12-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Has anyone heard rumors about Jeff Fisher showing interest in leaving the Titans if the Pittsburgh job should open up?...when is his contract up?....and could the division between the front office and him in last years draft drive him to another team if the right position opened?the titans exersized the 07 option for him yesterday.

Big D
12-30-2006, 02:44 PM
the titans exersized the 07 option for him yesterday.

and now they are trying to sign him to a long term contract.

tony hipchest
12-30-2006, 02:57 PM

.really though, how broke is it that it needs a major overhaul? in the 3 years with whiz and lebeau, the team has gone 15-1, 11-5 (sb win) and possibly. while it is a decline it doesnt mean a rebound is out of the question next year., id say its a status quo many would like to maintain. i dont remeber many people wanting to overhaul the pats the year they missed the playoffs.

i thought the problem was cowher alone and the distractions he brought to the team so if he retires, problem solved right? why blow up the rest of the coaching staff that has proven itself to be one of the best in the nfl?

it seems many people feel we would not be 7-8 if cowher had not bought a new house and signed an extension in the off season. if the problem is the whole coaching staff and maintaining the status quo that means cowhers lack of emotion or contract status had nothing to do with us lingering at .500. it wouldve happened regardless.

Big D
12-30-2006, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest;196829].

i thought the problem was cowher alone and the distractions he brought to the team so if he retires, problem solved right? why blow up the rest of the coaching staff that has proven itself to be one of the best in the nfl?

I agree. I think this has been a main problem with our team this year was the cowher distractions and cowhers bad decisions on rushing ben back from his injurys

Atlanta Dan
12-30-2006, 03:47 PM
I apologize for not making myself clear. Cowher is leaving becuase he wants to while his team is still doing well, which is very unusual. I am not claiming the team is clearly busted and should be scrapped and sold off as spare parts.

Walsh, Gibbs, Parcells, and maybe Holmgren are the only coaches in the last 20 years whom I can recall leaving voluntarily. Vermeil was sort of forced off the Rams to make room for Martz and Noll was going to have his wings clipped with more power going to Donohoe if he did not say goodbye.

The more I look for a similarity the more Green Bay comes to mind as the closest parallel - like Green Bay the team was still successful but the coach wanted a lot more $$$.

Do not recall who followed Holmgen in Green Bay - was it an internal hire?

Big D
12-30-2006, 03:51 PM
I apologize for not making myself clear. Cowher is leaving becuase he wants to while his team is still doing well, which is very unusual. I am not claiming the team is clearly busted and should be scrapped and sold off as spare parts.

Walsh, Gibbs, Parcells, and maybe Holmgren are the only coaches in the last 20 years whom I can recall leaving voluntarily. Vermeil was sort of forced off the Rams to make room for Martz and Noll was going to have his wings clipped with more power going to Donohoe if he did not say goodbye.

The more I look for a similarity the more Green Bay comes to mind as the closest parallel - like Green Bay the team was still successful but the coach wanted a lot more $$$.

Do not recall who followed Holmgen in Green Bay - was it an internal hire?

it was ray rhodes

tony hipchest
12-30-2006, 04:01 PM
Do not recall who followed Holmgen in Green Bay - was it an internal hire?good question. was it ray rhodes from the eagles?

Big D
12-30-2006, 04:03 PM
good question. was it ray rhodes from the eagles?

sure was. He was there for one 8-8 season then they fired him

Atlanta Dan
12-30-2006, 04:05 PM
sure was. He was there for one 8-8 season then they fired him

Well let's hope my Holmgren parallel does not extend to how the performance of his successor turned out :smile:

Big D
12-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Well let's hope my Holmgren parallel does not extend to how the performance of his successor turned out :smile:

Ray Rhodes was there for one 8-8 season and was fired.Nobody even packer fans thought he deserved it. But since they were a year out of the superbowl it was forced. Sounds kinda familiar though doesnt it?

tony hipchest
12-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Well let's hope my Holmgren parallel does not extend to how the performance of his successor turned out :smile:i hear that. interresting how few coaches have quit. jimmy johnson with the dolphins? i think he stepped down for fishing on the high seas and broadcasting. which brings me to dave wanstedt. steelers better not even interview him. im beginning to see a trend. the only coaches with the liberty or desire to quit are those who have been extremely successful and won sb's

Big D
12-30-2006, 04:10 PM
i hear that. interresting how few coaches have quit. jimmy johnson with the dolphins? i think he stepped down for fishing on the high seas and broadcasting. which brings me to dave wanstedt. steelers better not even interview him.

I would want to hang myself with saddams rope

MACH1
12-30-2006, 04:11 PM
i hear that. interresting how few coaches have quit. jimmy johnson with the dolphins? i think he stepped down for fishing on the high seas and broadcasting. which brings me to dave wanstedt. steelers better not even interview him.

Bite your tung. :wink02:

tony hipchest
12-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Bite your tung. :wink02:

I would want to hang myself with saddams rope

oops sorry guys. lol

Big D
12-30-2006, 04:14 PM
oops sorry guys. lol

your forgiven. As long as we stay away from Dave Shula and Bruce Coslett i'm happy

Atlanta Dan
12-30-2006, 10:17 PM
Well if the Giants win puts them in the playoffs that probably is the last nail in Mora's coffin in Atlanta. Whiz apparently is coveted by Arthur Blank, even though the Falcons got burned with their last hire of a rising young coordinator.

Blank will pay more than the Rooneys for Whiz and will move quickly to let that be known -an interesting several weeks ahead in Atlanta and Pittsburgh.

If Whiz is the choice of 2 teams, do you take the $$$ and Vick/Blank or knowing your personnel and Ben/Rooneys?

tony hipchest
12-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Well if the Giants win puts them in the playoffs that probably is the last nail in Mora's coffin in Atlanta. Whiz apparently is coveted by Arthur Blank, even though the Falcons got burned with their last hire of a rising young coordinator.

Blank will pay more than the Rooneys for Whiz and will move quickly to let that be known -an interesting several weeks ahead in Atlanta and Pittsburgh.

If Whiz is the choice of 2 teams, do you take the $$$ and Vick/Blank or knowing your personnel and Ben/Rooneys?great topic. ive been wondering this ever since mora decided to be a local washington radio comedian. like i posted earlier in the thread, whiz only wants to be a HC elsewhere if he can do it "the steelers way". i think blank would have no problem with this. infact i think he would covet this.

i could see blank offering whiz 3-4 mil/ year next year. that is what cowher has allegedly been making. very ironic if it comes to pass. almost makes me think the rooneys will be looking for a coach on the cheap if he runs for the money. it would suck if the steelers had to settle for their 4th or 5th choise cause $$$ became an issue.

i do think whiz would feel a greater opportunity to win + job security with the steelers. but there is no place like home, especially if that home is loaded with cash. what would you do for an extra million? (rhetorical)

ncoolong
12-31-2006, 08:38 AM
great topic. ive been wondering this ever since mora decided to be a local washington radio comedian. like i posted earlier in the thread, whiz only wants to be a HC elsewhere if he can do it "the steelers way". i think blank would have no problem with this. infact i think he would covet this.

i could see blank offering whiz 3-4 mil/ year next year. that is what cowher has allegedly been making. very ironic if it comes to pass. almost makes me think the rooneys will be looking for a coach on the cheap if he runs for the money. it would suck if the steelers had to settle for their 4th or 5th choise cause $$$ became an issue.

i do think whiz would feel a greater opportunity to win + job security with the steelers. but there is no place like home, especially if that home is loaded with cash. what would you do for an extra million? (rhetorical)

Whiz will NOT get $4 million next season. Well, in Pittsburgh anway.

I think it's instructive to point out, for the sake of this discussion, Mora II's interest in the U Washington job came largely from his loyalties from where he came. Why wouldn't Whiz think the same way? My guess is he would want to start his own team without having to exist in the shadow created by Cowher. At the same time, I would think the Rooneys would want someone they could mold into the team's image, not someone with the experience and perhaps the ability to coach somewhere else, if that makes any sense.

Cowher wasn't exactly in line for several other coaching jobs when he was hired in 1992. Thank God we passed on Dave Wannsteadt, but you have to think part of that reason is Wannsteadt had other experience, and wouldn't be quite as able to grow in the system the Rooneys want.

All of this leads me to believe Russ Grimm is a better choice. Plus, he would only be able to get Mike-Tice-like money (like, $1.5 mil/year), which is always a factor with the Steelers.

clevestinks
12-31-2006, 08:50 AM
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Rooneys would join Kevin Colbert, the director of football operations, in heading a coaching search, the team's first since 1992. At that time, the Steelers interviewed about a dozen candidates for the job, including current Pitt head coach Dave Wannstedt, one of two finalists for the position that Mr. Cowher landed after longtime coach Chuck Noll retired.

Two members of Mr. Cowher's offensive staff are considered the prime candidates to take his place: Russ Grimm, the assistant head coach and line coach, and offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt. The Steelers also want to interview outside candidates, including University of Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, an Upper St. Clair native. The NFL requires each team to interview a minority coach -- called the Rooney Rule because Dan Rooney proposed it -- and the Steelers will do that.

Do we really think that the Steelers would hire a college coach??? I dont

83-Steelers-43
12-31-2006, 08:52 AM
Article already posted Clevestinks. I made the same confusing mistake this morning when it was already posted in a separate thread.......http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=13669&page=12

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2006, 08:54 AM
Whiz will NOT get $4 million next season. Well, in Pittsburgh anway.

I think it's instructive to point out, for the sake of this discussion, Mora II's interest in the U Washington job came largely from his loyalties from where he came. Why wouldn't Whiz think the same way? My guess is he would want to start his own team without having to exist in the shadow created by Cowher. At the same time, I would think the Rooneys would want someone they could mold into the team's image, not someone with the experience and perhaps the ability to coach somewhere else, if that makes any sense.

Cowher wasn't exactly in line for several other coaching jobs when he was hired in 1992. Thank God we passed on Dave Wannsteadt, but you have to think part of that reason is Wannsteadt had other experience, and wouldn't be quite as able to grow in the system the Rooneys want.

All of this leads me to believe Russ Grimm is a better choice. Plus, he would only be able to get Mike-Tice-like money (like, $1.5 mil/year), which is always a factor with the Steelers.

Good points, but why would Grimm be any less interested in growing outside Cowher's shadow than Whiz would be and how is Grimm any easier for the Rooneys to mold into the Steelers "image" than Whiz? And why in the world would the Rooneys want to hire only someone whom nobody else wanted?

I am among those who favor a clean break through a hire from another team. A Grimm hiring carries much the same baggage, good and bad, as a Whiz hiring.

Blitzburgh
12-31-2006, 09:52 AM
Congratulations Coach

and

Thanks for the memories! :tt02:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAGV021~Bill-Cowher-Posters.jpg

From Steel City Insider (Wexell):

The preliminary list of potential replacements includes current assistants Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm. A list of outside candidates might include NFL assistants Ron Rivera (Bears defensive coordinator), Mike Singletary (49ers assistant head coach), Jim Schwartz (Titans defensive coordinator), Cam Cameron (Chargers offensive coordinator) and Gregg Williams (Redskins assistant head coach). The name out of the college ranks most often floated is Upper St. Clair native Kirk Ferentz, who?s coached Iowa the last eight years.

tony hipchest
12-31-2006, 11:28 AM
a very important thing to consider:

out of all possible successors to cowher, whisenhunt has the biggest chin.

clevestinks
12-31-2006, 11:30 AM
a very important thing to consider:

out of all possible successors to cowher, whisenhunt has the biggest chin.

Damn, never thought of that. Maybe thats our answer! LOL:cheer:

Big D
12-31-2006, 11:31 AM
Damn, never thought of that. Maybe thats our answer! LOL:cheer:

heres my problem. Wiz=toilet.

tony hipchest
12-31-2006, 11:35 AM
heres my problem. Wiz=toilet.the "i" in whis has always been mispronounced. it is a"long i"

whis=wise

Big D
12-31-2006, 11:37 AM
the "i" in whis has always been mispronounced. it is a"long i"

whis=wise

wouldnt you rather have a coach that was considered a hog?

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-31-2006, 11:41 AM
I said it in another thread and I will say it here....Russ Grimm will be our new coach...Pittsburgh ties + Being named Asst Head Coach= New Head coach!!

Big D
12-31-2006, 11:49 AM
I said it in another thread and I will say it here....Russ Grimm will be our new coach...Pittsburgh ties + Being named Asst Head Coach= New Head coach!!

if we are going to hire within. I hope it will be russ grimm

clevestinks
12-31-2006, 11:54 AM

I`ve always been sold on someone having Pittsburgh ties, gives them more reason to win

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2006, 11:56 AM
This is not a diss on Grimm but a serious question

As a a non-coordinator, exactly what does Grimm offer that Whiz does not offer if you are going to promote from within?

Big D
12-31-2006, 11:59 AM

As a a non-coordinator, exactly what does Grimm offer that Whiz does not offer if you are going to promote from within?

He offers intensity. I think he is a mini cowher. I would be very satisfied with this pick as the steelers head coach

steveironcity
12-31-2006, 05:51 PM
He offers intensity. I think he is a mini cowher. I would be very satisfied with this pick as the steelers head coach

Plus he is a Pittsburgh Guy.. Always a +

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
12-31-2006, 06:05 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_486512.html

Cowher still holding off on decision

TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, December 31, 2006

CINCINNATI - Santonio Holmes scored a touchdown on a 67-yard reception sending coach Bill Cowher out a winner if he indeed coached has his last game for the Steelers.

After the Steelers twice rallied from fourth-quarter deficits to beat the Cincinnati Bengals 23-17 in overtime and finish the season at 8-8, Cowher said he wouldn?t make a decision on his future until he puts some serious thought into it.

Cowher, the longest-tenured coach in the NFL, is under contract with the Steelers through year but could leave after this, his 15th season, because of family or money considerations.

?I?m going to talk to some people in the next couple of days and I?m going to take time to reflect,? Cowher said late Sunday afternoon. ?I don?t want to make decisions in the heat of the moment that (are) emotionally based.?

Cowher said he had trouble reigning in his emotions during the game and after the Steelers had gotten the victory that knocked the Bengals (8-8) out of playoff contention and allowed them to finish with wins in six of their final eight games.

?What a resilient bunch of guys,? Cowher said. ?I thought (Sunday) spoke volumes about the quality and character of this football team. That?s why I?m in this business, those guys in this locker room.?

BringthePressure20
01-01-2007, 01:17 AM
The Rooneys need to get a offensive minded coach that can help ben that is not named WHISENHUNT or GRIMM, because i dont see them getting it done. Thoughts?

Black@Gold Forever32
01-01-2007, 01:49 AM
The OC from the Chargers would be nice.

Man_Of_Steel
01-01-2007, 01:16 PM
On the Steelers official website, they have Grimm listed as the Assistant Head Coach. I didn't know that. He will most likely replace Cowher as head coach IMO. He's been groomed by Cowher so to me it looks like a no brainer.

Atlanta Dan
01-01-2007, 01:40 PM
With regard to Grimm and the Assistant Head Coach title, I believe that has something to do with giving job titles so other teams are limited in being able to hire your assistants without compensation rather than Grimm outranking Whiz. It is not as if Cowher is Bush, Grimm is Cheney (or vice versa?) and Labeau & Whiz are senior cabinet officers.

IMHO the big drawback to Grimm is that he has never been a coordinator. But SI has printed in the magazine and Peter King says online today that Grimm is going to get the job.

Stlrs4Life
01-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau didn't know which way Cowher was leaning, either. But LeBeau said he wanted to return as defensive coordinator no matter who winds up coaching the Steelers in 2007.
"I think the world of these guys and you can see why," LeBeau said. "And this is a great franchise, a great place to work. "If they want some guy to balance out their experience on their coaching staff, I'm just the guy for them."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_486523.html

tony hipchest
01-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau didn't know which way Cowher was leaning, either. But LeBeau said he wanted to return as defensive coordinator no matter who winds up coaching the Steelers in 2007.
"I think the world of these guys and you can see why," LeBeau said. "And this is a great franchise, a great place to work. "If they want some guy to balance out their experience on their coaching staff, I'm just the guy for them."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_486523.htmlWOW! to see lebeau practically have to beg for his job makes me sick. it shouldnt be going down like this. i dont care if we were 0-16 this season. he is one of the most respected co-ords in the league.

With regard to Grimm and the Assistant Head Coach title, I believe that has something to do with giving job titles so other teams are limited in being able to hire your assistants without compensation rather than Grimm outranking Whiz. It is not as if Cowher is Bush, Grimm is Cheney (or vice versa?) and Labeau & Whiz are senior cabinet officers.

i think you nailed it on the head atlanta dan. grimm was given the title along with a hefty raise to show appreciation and to acknowledge his value to the club PLUS it was an upward movement /promotion that made it more difficult for other teams to hire him away.

i remember cowher joking around at the press conference announcing grimms promotion. when he was asked what the new title meant, cowher said something to the effect that if he were ever assassinated that grimm would take over as head coach :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-01-2007, 02:38 PM

As someone has already stated ..intensity...and I would add direction. Cowher surrounded himself with Coaches who could call the plays (most of the time)...He set the direction and the standards..He was a disciplinarian..and Grimm shows that same tenasity...I know that this doesnt work for some coaches but that is almost ALWAYS because the Win is more important than the Team in most NFL perspectives, and prima-donnas are allowed to ..screw around..then still get to play...then become a cancer on the team because they think they are above the law.
Russ will show his 4 superbowl rings and tell them..."Heres my resume...when you can beat that..you can be the coach..until then..shut up before you end up watching the next game from your couch."

Glace
01-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Ok...."IF" Cowher were to retire.....

Do you really trust Russ Grimm....Do you really trust Ken Whisenhunt?

Jim Mora is an experienced NFL head coach...He's young and energetic....

I feel bad for the guy man...His downfall was Vick....Their whole city is in love with him and they've built their whole offense around him.....I'd love to see Mora coaching a team like the Steelers.

He's dedicated to the run....He has a passion for the game that has been nonexistent in Cowher's eyes this year. Mora seems like a good fit to me.

Thoughts?

Stillers43
01-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Don't trust Russ Grimm as a head coach! He likes to drink too much and not sure if he would put in the time. Whisenhunt would be a great choice.

Glace
01-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think Whisenhunt would be a good coach....

But a guy like Jim Mora has that head coach experience...and he's very similar to Cowher in his dedication to running the football with an aggressive defense.

I just think Mora could be an immediate replacement for a successful season next year. Whisenhunt is a good play caller but his head coaching abilities are an unknown.

Big D
01-01-2007, 04:24 PM

I feel bad for the guy man...His downfall was Vick....Their whole city is in love with him and they've built their whole offense around him.....I'd love to see Mora coaching a team like the Steelers.

He's dedicated to the run....He has a passion for the game that has been nonexistent in Cowher's eyes this year. Mora seems like a good fit to me.

Thoughts?

No thank you. Between his comments about washington and talking on his cell phone during a game he would not be a good choice

Blitzburgh
01-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Mora is an immature "putz" ..... must run in his family.

This kind of talk is BLASPHEMY!

tony hipchest
01-01-2007, 04:30 PM
and he's very similar to Cowher in his dedication to running the football with an aggressive defense.

.i didnt realize cowher was an offensive coordinator.

mora seems like a great dude but i can think of 5 men on the current steelers staff i would rather have as a head coach.

Atlanta Dan
01-01-2007, 04:38 PM

Thoughts?

Exactly how much did you have to drink last night?:smile:

I am linking to a column from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that sums up the many flaws of Mora Jr., including this summary:

Great coaches adjust. Mora?s teams tinkered ? some games they?d throw a lot, others scarcely at all ? but never established a forceful signature. They were usually OK if they could run the ball and nurse a lead, but they were hopeless if they couldn?t. The Falcons under Mora won one game (against San Diego on Oct. 17, 2004) when trailing after three quarters. This in a league built for comebacks. This with the incomparable Vick. [note from Atlanta Dan - ignore the reference to the "incomparable" Vick - the columnist has a man crush on Vick.]

The Falcons under Mora were always one of the NFL?s more gifted assemblages. (They had six Pro Bowlers last season, one more than the Super Bowl champion Steelers.) But not since Mora?s first season did the Falcons beat a team that would win as many as 10 games or qualify for the playoffs. Their talent enabled them to feed on minnows, but when matched against an opponent of comparable worth they were undone by their coaching.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/sportscolumns/entries/2007/01/01/diminishing_ret.html

FWIW Cowher is the popular choice of the online crowd in Atlanta to replace Mora, with this statement from one delusional Falcons fan pretty much summing up why nobody should doubt Cowher is going to get a mega-payday when he returns to coaching:

As far as the new headcoach is concerned, the only choice is Bill Cowher, a proven winner in the NFL. He is a tough nosed no nonsense personality and he at one point mentioned that he would love to be able to coach Mike Vick. I say offer him whatever he wants including the keys to the city if that is what it takes to get him here.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-01-2007, 04:40 PM

Run for your lives -- Jim Mora?!?!?! :yikes:

That was the problem in Atlanta you don't build a whole team around one guy.

Also I don't see an "IF" where Cowher is concerned I'll be real surprised if he doesn't step away.

PisnNapalm
01-01-2007, 04:48 PM
No thanks. I'd rather give Whiz a shot.

BritishSteel
01-01-2007, 06:48 PM
I guess it depends on three things.

1) Are the Rooneys happy with the way the season has panned out?

2) If te answer is no, what were the reasons why we underperformed in some games. I suspect the duel manhandlings handed out by the Cravens will have hurt.

3) If they put it down to individual errors rather than coaching and play-calling, they'll appoint from within. If they think the coaching was off, they'll have to find out why, and most likely appoint from outside.

From my point of view, I think they probably should look to an external appointment. Your players don't have to be buddies with your HC, they just have to play for him. I actually trust the organisation to make a decent choice whoever they appoint - The Steelers do have a decent recent record with key staff appointments.

Atlanta Dan
01-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Jeff Schulz (the only Atlanta Journal-Constitution columnist who usually makes sense to me) has a column on the Mora replacement that I think applies to the Steelers hiring process as well.

Money quote:

During his tenure as owner, Arthur Blank has operated on the misguided assumption that when you treat people well, pay them well, and make it clear in almost every way possible that you are emotionally and certainly financially invested in their future, they will respond accordingly.

This season should teach him something.

Blank fired Jim Mora Monday. Before deciding on a replacement, he and president and general manager Rick McKay need to realize that the Falcons? biggest problems can?t be fixed by a smiling, peppy ?consensus? guy with a new book of Xs and Os.

Because in the big picture, the Falcons don?t just need a coach. They need a human cattle prod.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/sportscolumns/entries/2007/01/01/next_guy_needs.html

I think a real kick in the ass for the Steelers' lackluster attitude this year should involve an outside hire, but the more I read that the players want Whiz the more I think that supports an internal hire of Grimm over Whiz (although since Grimm was around this year he is not clean in terms of the inconsistent performance of the OL) if an internal hire is done.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-01-2007, 09:23 PM
okay okay so profootballtalk.com is the national enquirer of the NFL.... but their throwing a name out there to replace Cowher...

Dom Capers.....and Lebeau together...any thoughts.

Atlanta Dan
01-02-2007, 06:40 AM
Dom Capers is the defensive coordinator equivalent of Norv Turner - a good coordinator who failed twice as a HC - no way Capers is the hire.

Rotorhead
01-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Here is the problem we have IMO, if we hire Grimm, the Whiz is gone and vice versa. If we hire from outside, both are probably gone and we will struggle through another year of mediocraty learning a new system. I really dislike HC changes but I think we should hire from within.

StillerPaul
01-02-2007, 12:03 PM
I think i'd like us to land an experienced coach. Anyone else here besides me longing for an attack style 4-3 back in the 'burgh?

MACH1
01-02-2007, 03:25 PM
How many first year coach's go on to win a SB?
I can only think of two off the top of my head. Gruden and Seifert.

Atlanta Dan
01-02-2007, 04:13 PM
When Baltimore won in 1970 Don McCafferty was a first year coach - after losing to the Jets in SB III, Shula and Carroll Rosenbloom had a falling out over $$$ the next season (sound familiar?) and McCafferty inherited a talented veteran team that beat Dallas after Shula departed to get a big contract in Miami. After making the playoffs in 1971, McCafferty was fired midway through the 1972 season, which is par for the course for HCs that follow legends.

silver & black
01-02-2007, 05:30 PM

No offense, but I don't see where Jimmy Raye is such a genius. I thought his play calling and offensive scheme was lacking when he was our OC.

On a side note... I think Art Shell would make a great coach for you guys! :sofunny: :toofunny:

MACH1
01-02-2007, 05:33 PM
No offense, but I don't see where Jimmy Raye is such a genius. I thought his play calling and offensive scheme was lacking when he was our OC.

On a side note... I think Art Shell would make a great coach for you guys! :sofunny: :toofunny:

Dude- your stuck with him. :toofunny: :toofunny:

silver & black
01-02-2007, 05:39 PM
In all Honesty i would like to see Coach Cowher stick around. But if he decides to ride off into the sunset,......here are the guys i wouldn't mind seeing as his successor. (In no particular order)

Ron Rivera
Dan Marino
Rod woodson
Jack Lambert
Rob Ryan (Raiders DC)

I know some might be surprised by the former players. (But i honestly believe that their first hand knowledge and or experience of the game is more than enough of a qualification)

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Just because they were great players doesn't mean it will transfer to being a good coach. You need look no farther than the Raiders for proof of that. Art Shell was arguably the best thats ever played his position. He has 2 Superbowl rings. He has NO CLUE how to coach... I'm just sayin.

silver & black
01-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Dude- your stuck with him. :toofunny: :toofunny:

Lets just say, I heard it from a little bird that this may not be true. :bouncy:

tony hipchest
01-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Lets just say, I heard it from a little bird that this may not be true. :bouncy:what would you think if you found out cowher was taking 7 mil/year to coach the raiders? (and he was able to bring porter with him)

MACH1
01-02-2007, 05:54 PM
what would you think if you found out cowher was taking 7 mil/year to coach the raiders? (and he was able to bring porter with him)

I say its a long way from that new house. :sofunny:

silver & black
01-02-2007, 05:57 PM
what would you think if you found out cowher was taking 7 mil/year to coach the raiders? (and he was able to bring porter with him)

I would think... woo hoo!!!!! :cheer: :banana: :chicken: :thumbsup:

clevestinks
01-02-2007, 06:32 PM

I would say " SEE YAH" if thats all it takes, then GO, if its just about money, I wouldnt want him here any longer

Rotorhead
01-03-2007, 10:01 AM
StillerPaul, any new coach that would try to change our Def to a 43 should not be hired since our entire Def is built around the 34. We would have to retool most of the front 7 and that is just not going to happen. Besides, I think the 34 is far better than the 43, Look at the top defenses in the NFL. And we have the creator of the damn thing as our Def Coordinator . . .

alittlejazzbird
01-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Excerpt from Steve Silverman's MSNBC column yesterday:

"Start off in Pittsburgh. A year ago, the Steelers were about to begin their memorable wild-card run through the postseason that culminated with the only Super Bowl title in Cowher?s career. The Steelers have put a hard-hitting and nasty defensive team together for more than 30 years. There have been off seasons in that period, but they have been solid since Chuck Noll first took this team to the playoffs in 1972.

Players such as strong safety Troy Polamalu, inside linebacker James Farrior and nose tackle Casey Hampton form the core of the defense, while outside linebacker Joey Porter gives them personality and the ability to punish opponents. Defense remains a formidable asset.

The offense looks just as promising. Willie Parker is probably faster at the running back position than anyone in the league besides Reggie Bush. Hines Ward plays every snap as if its his last, and if the NFL ever decided to adopt a logo player the way the NBA did with Jerry West, Ward would deserve it more than anyone else. However, it?s Ben Roethlisberger at quarterback who makes this job truly worthwhile.

Although Roethlisberger did not have the kind of year Cowher and his coaches were expecting, try doing your job after a motorcycle accident, an appendectomy and numerous blows to the head. Assuming Roethlisberger can stay away the Evel machines in the offseason, he returns next year to a team that has a chance to get back to the Super Bowl. That makes this job the best of the coaching openings."

Keep an eye out, after the media pounding Ben Roethlisberger has taken all year, for how many so-called "experts" suddenly decide that he is the best reason for a coach to come to the Steelers. Those writers are too much...

My money is on one of the in-house guys getting the job (maybe Whisenhunt...like I read somewhere, he looks so much like Cowher that most people won't even realize a change was made!), but someone recently brought up Mike Singletary on another thread, and I find that a very intriguing notion. As one of the defensive giants on that titanic 85 Bears team, I'd be interested to see what he could bring to the table.

Big D
01-03-2007, 10:22 AM
With saban offically taking the bama job, You have to hope that cowher rushes his decision.

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Miami is another job that will pay big bucks - since the Rooneys now are competing against two franchises (Atlanta and Miami) that will pay top $$$ they may regret not working something out with Cowher last summer if this really is mostly about money. They are going to be paying much more than they budgeted for a new coach.

Let's just hope the Steelers are not going to give Mularkey a look if Whiz goes elsewhere.

At this point I see Whiz in ATL, Coleman in Miami, and Grimm in Pittsburgh.

SteelerFanInCA
01-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the insight. Yep, we still have the core of the team coming back next year. I'm looking forward to the 07 season as well.

Big D
01-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Miami is another job that will pay big bucks - since the Rooneys now are competing against two franchises (Atlanta and Miami) that will pay top $$$ they may regret not working something out with Cowher last summer if this really is mostly about money. They are going to be paying much more than they budgeted for a new coach.

Let's just hope the Steelers are not going to give Mularkey a look if Whiz goes elsewhere.

At this point I see Whiz in ATL, Coleman in Miami, and Grimm in Pittsburgh.

who is coleman?

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2007, 10:53 AM
who is coleman?

My bad - Cameron (coorinator in San Diego) not Coleman

Big D
01-03-2007, 10:55 AM
My bad - Cameron (coorinator in San Diego) not Coleman

I thought thats who you were talking about. I didnt want to be rude and correct you. I also agree with you on Cam going to the dolphins.

Big D
01-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Espn reports that Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt are both front runners for the dolphins job... Meanwhile Bill Cowher just got out of bed in north carolina and still hasnt made any decisions on whether or not he will be back

tony hipchest
01-03-2007, 01:03 PM
they may regret not working something out with Cowher last summer if this really is mostly about money. They are going to be paying much more than they budgeted for a new coach.

.when art shell took the raider job the rooneys knew they had whiz/grimm waiting in the wings and could use that as leverage in the negotiations of an extension for cowher. theres no way they couldve anticipated the miami or atlanta job opening up. in fact coming into this season there really didnt seem to be many coaches on the hot seat. possibly billick, shotenheimmer, and d. green. as the season wore on it seemed pretty obvious that marty and billick would be safe. the rooneys probably felt they were holding all the cards, and made cowher a low ball, take it or leave it offer, that sat with him about as well as a smack in the face.

now im wondering if cowher is contemplating swallowing his pride and returning his final year to help bail the team out, if it loses out on its top 2 candidates to replace him.

just a theory

ExtonSteelFan
01-03-2007, 01:12 PM
when art shell took the raider job the rooneys knew they had whiz/grimm waiting in the wings and could use that as leverage in the negotiations of an extension for cowher. theres no way they couldve anticipated the miami or atlanta job opening up. in fact coming into this season there really didnt seem to be many coaches on the hot seat. possibly billick, shotenheimmer, and d. green. as the season wore on it seemed pretty obvious that marty and billick would be safe. the rooneys probably felt they were holding all the cards, and made cowher a low ball, take it or leave it offer, that sat with him about as well as a smack in the face.

now im wondering if cowher is contemplating swallowing his pride and returning his final year to help bail the team out, if it loses out on its top 2 candidates to replace him.

just a theory

After listening to the NFL channel on sirius, according to a few analysts these HC positions at Atlanta and Miami aren't going to be filled overnight. These things take time and I think Cowher will have his decision before it becomes a problem.

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Unless Atlanta, Arizona, and Miami run a minority candidate through an interview ASAP to comply with the Rooney Rule they cannot make a hire until at least next week.

Of course Alabama could not hire Saban until this week either - although I think Miami has been caught by surprise, Atlanta and Arizona have known for a while they might be making a move and a lot of back channel discussions probably have been going on with HC candidates. Hopefully the Rooneys have seen this coming and have acted accordingly this past fall.

Big D
01-03-2007, 01:32 PM
I thought that Norm Chow was interviewing for the cardinals today....

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2007, 01:48 PM
I thought that Norm Chow was interviewing for the cardinals today....

Arizona does not concern me - the Bidwells presence means they will screw around on a decision for a job that is not that attractive because of their ownership of the franchise.

Miami and Atlanta are the two vacancies with aggressive owners who may pick off someone the Steelers would like to consider - the Rooneys can let somene know they are a candidate but the Dolphins and Falcons can make offers while Cowher meditates in Raleigh.

Big D
01-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Arizona does not concern me - the Bidwells presence means they will screw around on a decision for a job that is not that attractive because of their ownership of the franchise.

Miami and Atlanta are the two vacancies with aggressive owners who may pick off someone the Steelers would like to consider - the Rooneys can let somene know they are a candidate but the Dolphins and Falcons can make offers while Cowher meditates in Raleigh.

I think whisenhunt will turn up in atlanta just for his hometown roots. What are the thoughts down there about whisenhunt dan?

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Whiz is the clear front runner here. The Falcons have made it clear Vick is their guy so the combination of Georgia/Falcon ties, coming from a winning franchise, and the belief Whiz can design the type of unorthodox offense that plays to strengths of Vick (who is not going anywhere else) is a powerful combination.

Whiz is interviewing in Atlanta tomorrow and heading to Arizona Thursday.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/01/03/0103whisvisit.html

tony hipchest
01-03-2007, 08:14 PM
i wondered earlier in this thread if the steelers reluctance to go outside for a new coach was proof of complacency and fear of discipline or just loyalty to what has been proven to be a winning way.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/01/03/bc.fbn.steelers.cowher.s.ap/index.html

Defensive back Ryan Clark said it's obvious what kind of coach wouldn't fit in with the Steelers, who are 34-14 over the last three seasons despite going 8-8 and missing the playoffs this season.

"Tom Coughlin can't coach us," Clark said, referring to the Giants coach and noted disciplinarian. "A guy like that, it's not going to work."

makes you wonder.

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2007, 08:30 PM
This updated story from the Atlanta J-C this svening:

Falcons add Rivera, Singletary to list
Defensive coaches to interview after Steelers' Whisenhunt

Whisenhunt and Rivera have been among the more highly regarded NFL assistant coaches and interviewed for head coaching jobs the past two seasons before returning to their current posts. Both will also interview for the head-coaching job with the Arizona Cardinals.

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/01/03/0104falrivera.html

Falcons and Cardinals are moving fast. The Singletary and Rivera interviews will take care of Rooney Rule obligations for Atlanta. Whiz may have a tenative offer from Blank before Cowher gets around to turning in his resignation.

NV STEELERS 723
01-03-2007, 08:48 PM
If Whiz goes w/ ATL....Grimm is a clear choice for the STEELERS....hopefully the fact that he's a PITT alum, and from here will have a factor in turning something down to coach the STEELERS

ncoolong
01-03-2007, 10:37 PM
It's made for some good blogging material, that's for sure.

I think it's gonna be Grimm, and they'll just wait for Whisenhunt to go somewhere else. Grimm has been with this franchise too long for him to be passed over now. It'll save face, though, if they just sit on announcing Cowher's decision until Whisenhunt gets hired somewhere else, leaving it as the biggest loyalty win-win possible.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-03-2007, 11:17 PM
to many posts to look through has anyone mentioned Tim Lewis?

I.C. Lights
01-04-2007, 12:57 AM
It's made for some good blogging material, that's for sure.

I think it's gonna be Grimm, and they'll just wait for Whisenhunt to go somewhere else. Grimm has been with this franchise too long for him to be passed over now. It'll save face, though, if they just sit on announcing Cowher's decision until Whisenhunt gets hired somewhere else, leaving it as the biggest loyalty win-win possible.

There's definitely going to be some tactical time delays here and I think you nailed it on the head by saying that they'll wait for Whisenhunt to get swooped up somewhere else (probably Atlanta). I'd be excited about Grimm stepping up. We just have to be careful that he doesn't go to Arizona!

I.C. Lights
01-04-2007, 01:02 AM
to many posts to look through has anyone mentioned Tim Lewis?

I don't think so - but what a great idea! A successful, minority coach with prior experience with the Steelers. Imagine having that 2001 D back again! Is he even an option?

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2007, 08:27 AM
I don't think so - but what a great idea! A successful, minority coach with prior experience with the Steelers. Imagine having that 2001 D back again! Is he even an option?

Or imagine having the 2002-2003 D back again? :dang:

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2007, 02:34 PM
This links to an article by Michael Silver in SI.com on the "Fab Five" HC prospects and where they are heading. Silver has Rivera going to Arizona and Whiz to Atlanta, with this comment:

It's no wonder he's being pursued by the Cardinals and Falcons -- you know Atlanta owner Arthur Blank is salivating over what Whisenhunt, who happens to be a native of the city, might do for Michael Vick -- and if the Rooneys don't go after him hard (assuming Cowher leaves, as expected) they'll be making a huge mistake. That said, for all of their endearing qualities, the Rooneys don't pay like the man with the wispy mustache in the Peachtree state.

In addition to Rivera and Whiz, the other 3 assistants on Silver's list are:

Jerry Gray, Redskins defensive backs coach;
Norm Chow, Titans offensive coordinator (Silver has Chow in Oakland); and
Tim Lewis, Giants defensive coordinator (Silver thinks Lewis may get Coughlin's job in NY)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/michael_silver/01/04/coaches/1.html

No mention of who is going to the Steelers and no mention of Grimm (whom SI previously has said will replace Cowher) as a "fab" assistant.

Man_Of_Steel
01-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Cowher will announce his retirment FRIDAY! Link below.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07004/751251-100.stm

MACH1
01-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Truly a sad day in the Steeler Kingdom.:crying01:

Steel Warrior
01-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Truly sad if it came down to BC wanting 7 mil and the Steelers offering only 6 mil, but, I don't think that's the case. I think BC has gotta take care of some personal stuff, and he'll be back, but not with us. Oh well, thanks guy for 10 of 15 in the playoffs, what more can a true Steelers fan ask for. We had a shot each time, at least we weren't done, and had a chance each of those playoff years, and I waited 26 friggin! years for that SB!, so I'm ready for what ever happens, but I highly doubt that he'll be we another team this year. Of course if that happens, he truly fooled me.

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2007, 08:40 PM
This evening's stories are pretty emphatic Cowher will sit out 2007, but the stories earlier today that Miami in 2007 was not impossible had to be sourced from somehwere.

sparky
01-04-2007, 08:43 PM
All I gotta say is thanks for all the years the super bowl and all the wins. Not much more I can ask for.

MJ5150
01-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Woopsssss......wrong thread.

-Mike

Stillers#1
01-04-2007, 10:47 PM
So let's get back to the topic at hand, who do you guys think it will be? I like Whis, but Grimm seems like a Steeler guy to me. How positive is anyone that it will even be one of these guys. I know Oakland probably has Rob Ryan wrapped up, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Rooney's bring him in for an interview. He did a lot with a bunch of young guys this year.

tony hipchest
01-04-2007, 10:59 PM
So let's get back to the topic at hand, who do you guys think it will be? I like Whis, but Grimm seems like a Steeler guy to me. How positive is anyone that it will even be one of these guys. I know Oakland probably has Rob Ryan wrapped up, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Rooney's bring him in for an interview. He did a lot with a bunch of young guys this year.if 20 teams were looking for head coaches im thinking 15-19 would have whiz at the top of their list for an interview. i cant see why the steelers would ignore this and not do the same unless they are too cheap to pay market value for a quality/proven coach. (a coach who helped with a 15-1 season and a sb year to follow)

with the talent and potential the steelers have, is now the time to roll the dice and gamble with an unknown leader?

Stillers#1
01-05-2007, 12:24 AM
if 20 teams were looking for head coaches im thinking 15-19 would have whiz at the top of their list for an interview. i cant see why the steelers would ignore this and not do the same unless they are too cheap to pay market value for a quality/proven coach. (a coach who helped with a 15-1 season and a sb year to follow)

with the talent and potential the steelers have, is now the time to roll the dice and gamble with an unknown leader?

I dunno man, Whiz just doesn't seem very Pittsburghy (I made that word up, yes) to me. He is in MY top 3, but only if Grimm, and Ryan don't want it. Like I said Ryan did a lot with the Raiders, RAIDERS....let that sink in. I think he seems like the type of guy Cowher was when the Stillers hired him, new unproven, and fiery. I don't know if I can count the number of times I saw him drop the F-Bomb on ESPN during highlights tonite.

sumo
01-05-2007, 01:09 AM
We just have to find somebody who won't pussify the Steelers - sorry I'm just trying to use the word 'pussify' as much as possible..

SteelCzar76
01-05-2007, 05:03 AM
Ya know fam,.....i've thought about for about week. And for some strange reason,....i just feel like Darren Perry is our guy. Whiz seems like he will try to hard to be a Cowher "Clone" and thereby limit his effectiveness with our players.
And coach Grimm gives me the impression he would be almost "too conservative" and inflexible. Perry is young and a Steeler from "balls to bone".

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 06:48 AM
Steelers to begin coach search today

By The Associated Press
Friday, January 5, 2007

Bill Cowher is walking away from the most stable coaching job in the NFL -- leading the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Cowher called owner Dan Rooney on Thursday to tell him of his decision, and the team announced a Friday news conference not long after that. Cowher is expected to be there to say goodbye.

Pittsburgh will immediately begin a search to replace the retiring coach, a person familiar with Cowher's status said Thursday night, speaking on condition of anonymity because the retirement had not been officially announced.

The 49-year-old Cowher, one of the NFL's most recognizable faces and most successful coaches for 15 seasons, has weighed resigning since shortly after his Steelers finally won the Super Bowl in February following numerous near misses.

Cowher has talked of wanting to spend more time with his family, especially now that they are living in a new home in Raleigh, N.C., where he and wife Kaye attended North Carolina State. Cowher's two oldest daughters are at Princeton and the youngest has only 2.5 years of high school remaining, time Cowher apparently doesn't want to spend away from her.

While Cowher would be resigning with one season left on his contract, there is no indication he would retire from pro football. He said recently he is not close to being burned out, and still likes coaching and dealing with players.

Cowher, who led the Steelers to the playoffs 10 times, the AFC title game six times and the Super Bowl twice, met with Rooney and team president Art Rooney II on Tuesday and asked for several days to weigh his plans. There was an understanding a decision would be made quickly because the Steelers don't want any top candidates accepting other jobs before talking to them.

While the Steelers would have given Cowher until next week to make up his mind, he decided not to make them wait and called Dan Rooney on Thursday.

A Steelers head coaching search is one of the NFL's rarest events. This would be only the second time since 1969, when Hall of Famer Chuck Noll began a 23-season run, they have sought a coach; they haven't fired one since Bill Austin in 1968. By contrast, the Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts have had 15 coaches since then, including interim coaches.

Two strong contenders to replace Cowher -- Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm -- already are in place and are interviewing with other teams. The team would interview at least one minority candidate, possibly more, and talk with several candidates outside the organization.

The Steelers were willing to give Cowher some time following a disappointing 8-8 season to get away from the team, but felt they couldn't wait much longer with the Falcons, Cardinals and Dolphins already seeking coaches. The Falcons interviewed Whisenhunt on Thursday, and the Cardinals plan to interview both Whisenhunt and Grimm.

There have been numerous signs pointing to Cowher's departure, beginning when he told the team last spring he was uncertain of his plans past this season. Contract extension talks last summer did not progress past the preliminary stage.

Also, his season-ending meetings Monday with his players, which often last hours and hours, were much shorter than usual. No players were seen in the Steelers' complex past mid-afternoon and Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca said it was obvious Cowher looked ready to leave.

The Steelers gave Cowher the option of returning next season and completing his current contract, but that arrangement would probably not satisfy either side.

Cowher, if he coaches again, has signaled he wants to be one of the league's highest-paid coaches. His current $4 million-plus salary is about half that of Mike Holmgren, whose Seahawks lost to the Steelers in the Super Bowl last season. The Steelers have given no indication they are willing to pay any coach an $8 million salary.

The Steelers also wouldn't welcome a lame-duck coaching situation because it would create a season-long distraction, and ongoing speculation about who Cowher's successor would be.

Cowher is the NFL's longest-tenured coach with his current team; Tennessee's Jeff Fisher, with 13 seasons, is second. Cowher, a former Pittsburgh area high school player, is third among active coaches in regular-season victories with a 149-90-1 record, and fourth overall with a 161-99-1 record counting postseason games.

If he wants to return to a sideline immediately, with another team and at a much higher salary, that team would have to work out compensation with the Steelers because Cowher is under contract for 2007. But several players said this week they were certain that if Cowher didn't coach the Steelers next season, he would not coach any team.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_487211.html

tony hipchest
01-05-2007, 09:32 AM
now im not suggesting this, cause i dont think he's the best candidate out there, but im suprised joe green hasnt been discussed.

his drawbacks are being removed from coaching for a while, and when he did have a position high up the ladder with arizona and miami, he really didnt do anything to distinguish himself.

SteelerFanInCA
01-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Some more insight to Cowher's Successor

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/01/05/cowher/index.html

Stillers#1
01-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Whose jaw's big enough to replace Cowher?
By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
01/05/2007
Email to a friendPrinter-friendly
PITTSBURGH - For just the third time in 38 years, the Steelers are searching for a new coach.

Team president Art Rooney II, who'll be the man most responsible for hiring Bill Cowher's successor, can only hope he'll be as fortunate as his father was in 1969 and 1992.

It was owner Dan Rooney who hired Chuck Noll, who would go on to a Hall of Fame career that included four Super Bowl titles. It was Dan Rooney who made the final decision on hiring Cowher.

Now that Cowher has decided to end his 15-year regime - he's holding a press conference at 1 p.m. today - the Rooneys will intensify their search immediately.

Here's a list of potential candidates:

RUSS GRIMM, the Steelers' assistant head coach/offensive line coach.
Although Grimm will be a candidate for openings in Miami and Arizona - he's interviewing with the Cardinals on Monday - he's seen as a frontrunner to replace Cowher especially if management stays in-house.

KEN WHISENHUNT, the Steelers' offensive coordinator.
Like Grimm, Whisenhunt is a hot candidate elsewhere. He interviewed Thursday in Atlanta and will interview in Arizona today. He's also a candidate for the Dolphins job. Last year, Whisenhunt was offered the job as head coach of the Raiders, but ultimately turned it down.
An Atlanta native, Whisenhunt is perceived as the leading candidate for the Falcons' job. But of all the openings he's being considered for, the job he wants most is the one in Pittsburgh.

RON RIVERA, Chicago Bears defensive coordinator
With the Bears owning the No. 1 seed in the NFC, time could be a factor for Rivera. The Rooneys do have until Sunday to talk to Rivera, but once the playoffs begin, Rivera can't be interviewed until the Bears' season ends.
If the Bears go deep into the playoffs as expected, that would hurt Rivera's chances of latching on with any of the three teams currently needed new head coaches (the Raiders could be the fourth team today if Art Shell is fired or resigns).

MIKE SINGLETARY, San Francisco 49ers assistant head coach/linebackers coach
A Hall of Fame linebacker who played for coach Mike Ditka when the Bears won the Super Bowl in 1985, Singletary already has a taste of coaching in the AFC North Division. From 2003-04, he served as linebackers coach for the Baltimore Ravens.

KIRK FERENTZ, University of Iowa head coach.
A Pittsburgh native who attended Upper St. Clair, Ferentz has spent most of his career in the college game. But he did spend six years (1993-98) as an offensive line coach in the NFL with the Cleveland Browns and Ravens.
Because Iowa slipped to 7-5 and 6-7 in each of the past two season, Ferentz' star has lost some of its luster. But he did lead the Hawkeyes to records of 11-2, 10-3 and 10-2 from 2002-04. And last year, he was a candidate for NFL head coaching jobs with the Houston Texans and Green Bay Packers before withdrawing his name from consideration.

Former Steeler coordinators DOM CAPERS, JIM HASLETT and MIKE MULARKEY.
Because of their past ties with the Steelers, any or all of these three may get an interview. But their chances of succeeding Cowher don't seem promising ... at least when considering how many other top-notch candidates will be wanting to land one of the NFL's plum job.

Capers, who was the defensive coordinator in Miami this season, has an overall head coaching record of only 49-81 (31-35 in 1995-98 with Carolina, 18-46 in 2002-05 with Houston).

Mularkey, the Dolphins' offensive coordinator this year, went 14-18 in two years in Buffalo (2004-05).
Of these three ex-Pittsburgh assistants, perhaps Haslett has the best chance of getting a serious look. Currently the defensive coordinator with St. Louis, Haslett went 46-52 with New Orleans from 2000-05. But he's apparently well respected throughout the league and got a serious look in Detroit last year before the Lions hired Rod Marinelli.
Keep in mind that the last two times the Steelers needed to hire a new coach, Dan Rooney chose a 37-year-old secondary coach from the Baltimore Colts (Noll) and a 34-year defensive coordinator from the Kansas City Chiefs (Cowher).

Big D
01-05-2007, 10:22 AM
if we get haslett i'll puke.

PisnNapalm
01-05-2007, 10:29 AM
now im not suggesting this, cause i dont think he's the best candidate out there, but im suprised joe green hasnt been discussed.

his drawbacks are being removed from coaching for a while, and when he did have a position high up the ladder with arizona and miami, he really didnt do anything to distinguish himself.

"Mean" Joe is now 60 years old. He's been out of coaching for a few years. He's still part of the Steelers Front Office though. http://news.steelers.com/team/frontoffice/

I don't think he's the man for the job. I want someone who is going to be here for a good long while again. I like stability.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 10:58 AM
if we get haslett i'll puke.

Agreed - the Haslett suggestion is just a writer trying to ID someone other than the usual suspects. No way it will be Haslett.

StillerPaul
01-05-2007, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't complain at all if it were Singletary or Rivera.

Big D
01-05-2007, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't complain at all if it were Singletary or Rivera.

At least Singletary has great knowledge of the 3-4. If rivera comes in it would be a whole new defensive scheme

noto45
01-05-2007, 02:15 PM
what about Ryan from Baltimore????

sumo
01-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Two words: Denny Green

StillerPaul
01-05-2007, 02:35 PM
I've asked this question before but no one seems to want to answer. Let's see if it sticks this time...

I would like to see an attacking 4-3 system back in the 'burgh, i'm hoping the new coach brings that to the table. I know we don't have the personel yet but that could be fixed quickly IMO. How does my fellow Stillers fans feel about this?

stlrtruck
01-05-2007, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't want Ryan out of Baltimore. He may be a good defensive coordinator but I think he'd have the same problem as his daddy did at being a HC. I'd hate to see this position tainted by someone like that.

I like Rivera. The things he's done with the Bears defense. Imagine what he could do with having more than 1 or 2 players with talent.

I just hope that regardless of who it is, they find an offensive coordinator who uses the talents that we have on the table and makes the O a little more aggressive. Like last year in the playoffs.

sumo
01-05-2007, 02:45 PM
I've asked this question before but no one seems to want to answer. Let's see if it sticks this time...

I would like to see an attacking 4-3 system back in the 'burgh, i'm hoping the new coach brings that to the table. I know we don't have the personel yet but that could be fixed quickly IMO. How does my fellow Stillers fans feel about this?

IMHO, I disagree - I don't think it's an easy fix either - it places more emphasis on the down line - if you don't have four total studs - it's very difficult to stuff the run - and bring pressure - Ravens are a perfect example - they live and die based on whether or not they have 4 total studs on their line - this year they do - so they are doing well...having the extra linebackers allows more flexibility - now if we had the equivalent of the Steel Curtain on our roster - I would be in complete agreement with you ....

Stillers#1
01-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Two words: Denny Green

Please tell me that post was sarcastic.

83-Steelers-43
01-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Not exacty breaking news during the Rooney PC.....

Whisenhunt, Grimm are candidates to replace Cowher
Friday, January 05, 2007

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have notified offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach/assistant head coach Russ Grimm that they are candidates to replace Bill Cowher, Steelers president Art Rooney II said yesterday.

Shortly after Cowher announced his resignation, Rooney said Grimm and Whisenhunt are the only members of Cowher's staff who will be considered possible replacements. That means defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, a former head coach with the Cincinnati Bengals, is not a candidate.

Whisenhunt, who interviewed yesterday to become head coach with the Atlanta Falcons, was meeting today with the Arizona Cardinals in Glendale, Ariz. He will also interview with the Miami Dolphins.

Grimm is scheduled to interview next week with the Cardinals, also.

"Our only goal is to find the best person for the job," Rooney said. "Our timetable will end only when we achieve that goal.

The Atlanta job is attractive to Whisenhunt because he is from Augusta, Ga., played at Georgia Tech and spent four seasons as a tight end with the Falcons.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07005/751556-100.stm

steveironcity
01-05-2007, 02:59 PM
What about Sal Sunseri from Carolina? hes a Pittsburgh guy.

Stillers#1
01-05-2007, 03:01 PM
This is something I thought about when I realized CAHR PAHR was going to gone, how are we going to cope with the loss of a name that is easily convertible into Pittsburghese. Here is a blog from the PG.

"CAHR"
One of the overlooked aspects of the possible departure of Bill Cowher, would be the disappearance of one of the most deliciously perfect bits of colloquial speak in Southwestern Pennsylvania.

We speak of course of the melding of "Cow-her" into the monosyllabic Pittsburgh proper, "CAHR." My cousin tells me that this linguistic phenomenon is a dipthong. Whatever. All we know here is that it uses the best "language economy" that speakers of the "midland" accent are known for, in the tradition of "JeetJet?" "N'at," "Yinz" and "Slippy." Why say something in three syllables, when you can say it in two?

PAHR-ed by CAHR? Not for long ...

To that end, Blog 'N' Gold insists that this MUST be taken into account if the Steelers need to hire a new coach. Looking at the candidates that have been mentioned:

1. Russ Grimm. Grimm -- this is one syllable already. No fun there.

2. Ken Whisenhunt. I have tried and it is not possible to condense this name. Though if the nickname is going to be "Coach Whiz" -- this will not bode well A. because continuously repeating the name will have a big time subliminable effect on the men's room lines at Heinz Field and B. any time the Steelers lose, the inevitable "Well, it looks like Coach Whiz [blanked] away another game," line will surface.

3. Kirk Ferentz. The winner (so far) as this can easily be stripped down to one syllable in the local vernacular to something that roughly sounds like "Fairnce."

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 03:08 PM
This from Michael Silver at SI.com this afternoon

Whisenhunt favorite in Pittsburgh

Ken Whisenhunt, who is scheduled to interview for the vacant Cardinals head coaching job in Arizona Friday and has already spoken with the Atlanta Falcons about their opening, has emerged as the favorite to succeed Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh, a source familiar with the Steelers' search said Friday.

Whisenhunt, Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator, is currently viewed as a stronger candidate than Steelers assistant head coach/offensive line Russ Grimm, who is also expected to interview for the job. Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, who is a strong candidate for the Cardinals and Falcons jobs and is expected to talk to the Miami Dolphins about their vacancy, is also on the Steelers' list of desired interviewees, as is Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

One potential snag in the Steelers' plans is the possibility that Whisenhunt, a native of Atlanta who played tight end for the Falcons from 1985-88, could be offered a more lucrative contract by Atlanta owner Arthur Blank than the Rooneys are willing to pay a coach in Pittsburgh. Cowher, who resigned on Friday, was making $4 million a year -- about half of what the league's highest-paid coach, Seattle's Mike Holmgren, receives annually. Rivera and Whisenhunt are considered Atlanta's leading candidates, according to sources familiar with the Falcons' search.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/michael_silver/01/05/steelers.next/index.html

Blank will definitely offer more than the Rooneys - we will see how much the "Steeler Way" counts against more $$ and a return to Georgia for Whiz and his family.

Silver wrote yesterday Whiz is going to Atlanta - I agree

ARKIESTEEL
01-05-2007, 03:13 PM
How about Chuck Knoll:helmet:

Haiku_Dirtt
01-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Blank will definitely offer more than the Rooneys - we will see how much the "Steeler Way" counts against more $$ and a return to Georgia for Whiz and his family.

Silver wrote yesterday Whiz is going to Atlanta - I agree

I guess there are two ways to look at it. Obviously if only money were the issue than smart money is on the Falcons.

But does Whiz want Vick for a QB? Warrick Dunn is a nice RB. But the Vick factor is going to be a politcal nightmare if the Falcons see little progress under Whiz.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I guess there are two ways to look at it. Obviously if only money were the issue than smart money is on the Falcons.

But does Whiz want Vick for a QB? Warrick Dunn is a nice RB. But the Vick factor is going to be a politcal nightmare if the Falcons see little progress under Whiz.

Very true - Vick is a snake, now has stabbed two HCs in the back, and has an owner who comes down to the sidelines while letting Vick go over the coach's head to bitch to Blank about everything.

But it is like any other relationship - you look at the potential benefits and maybe rationalize all the problems by saying "this time it will be different." Plus coming to a franchise that has not strung together 2 consecutive winning seasons in its history does not carry quite the same expectations as following Cowher & Noll as HC for a franchise that has 5 Lombardi trophies.

Big D
01-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Very true - Vick is a snake, now has stabbed two HCs in the back, and has an owner who comes down to the sidelines while letting Vick go over the coach's head to bitch to Blank about everything.

But it is like any other relationship - you look at the potential benefits and maybe rationalize all the problems by saying "this time it will be different." Plus coming to a franchise that has not strung together 2 consecutive winning seasons in its history does not carry quite the same expectations as following Cowher & Noll as HC for a franchise that has 5 Lombardi trophies.

I was listening to fox radio this morning. And they said that Vick has said publicly that he wouldnt mind dan reeves comming back. I think the falcons have seen what vick is. So i would dump him and lock up schaub

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 03:39 PM
I was listening to fox radio this morning. And they said that Vick has said publicly that he wouldnt mind dan reeves comming back. I think the falcons have seen what vick is. So i would dump him and lock up schaub

They would have to con some chump team (Mr. Davis? - call from a Mr. Blank on line one) into picking up Vick's contract first - Vick has an enormous cap value.

Big D
01-05-2007, 03:40 PM
They would have to con some chump team (Mr. Davis? - call from a Mr. Blank on line one) into picking up Vick's contract first - Vick has an enormous cap value.

what about to cut him?

atlsteelers
01-05-2007, 03:42 PM
chan gailey did a nice job as OC in pittsburgh but it looks like miami is after him

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 03:47 PM
what about to cut him?

I will send you a private message that lays out some Vick cap scenarios to keep this on the thread topic.

Thanks

Preacher
01-05-2007, 03:49 PM
OKay...

Now that it is official....

Once again... WHO SHALL BE THE HEAD COACH?

I STILL want the def. coord. from Chicago.

Big D
01-05-2007, 03:55 PM
OKay...

Now that it is official....

Once again... WHO SHALL BE THE HEAD COACH?

I STILL want the def. coord. from Chicago.

My problem with him is the strength of the nfc. And it is a known fact his interviews were so bad that he lost out on both the Packers and Rams job

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 03:58 PM
chan gailey did a nice job as OC in pittsburgh but it looks like miami is after him

Chan Gailey is in constant danger of being fired by Georgia Tech - hard to believe he would be a candidate for the Miiami job after the last college HC hire crashed and burned there.

Big D
01-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Chan Gailey is in constant danger of being fired by Georgia Tech - hard to believe he would be a candidate for the Miiami job after the last college HC hire crashed and burned there.

another former steeler retread. I would be disapointed to say the least if capers,mularkey,gailey,haslett or lebeau would get consideration

MACH1
01-05-2007, 04:37 PM
another former steeler retread. I would be disapointed to say the least if capers,mularkey,gailey,haslett or lebeau would get consideration

Geez I hope not, except maybe lebeau but he's way to old.

clevestinks
01-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Sad! But so be it! Thank you Cowher!

I really think that he should have manned up, and played out his contract!

tony hipchest
01-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Sad! But so be it! Thank you Cowher!

I really think that he should have manned up, and played out his contract! 15 years in the league (with the same team) and he was really only making above minimum wage as far as new coaches (nick saban) are concerned?

like he said, he did what was best for him and his family, even if that means standing up for a principal he believed in, standing ground, and wishing the rooneys good luck in the future, i.e. quitting.

MACH1
01-05-2007, 06:05 PM
15 years in the league (with the same team) and he was really only making above minimum wage as far as new coaches (nick saban) are concerned?

like he said, he did what was best for him and his family, even if that means standing up for a principal he believed in, standing ground, and wishing the rooneys good luck in the future, i.e. quitting.

Yep he only did what anyone else would've done if they thought they weren't being appreciated ,and that was to move on and make what he's worth.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 06:10 PM
15 years in the league (with the same team) and he was really only making above minimum wage as far as new coaches (nick saban) are concerned?

Well, when his last contract was negotiated in 2003 (after a losing season and his teams had missed the playoffs 4 out of the past 6 seasons), it paid him as one of the top 5 coaches in the league which his record over the past 5 years at that time did not support.
Even Cowher candidly said he took his last extension after a losing season but did not extend after a Super Bowl win; sounds more like maximizing leverage than principle to me.

He is entitled to seeking to go for top $$ but coaching the Steelers is like working for the Post Office - you really have to screw up to get fired. The tradeoff for extraordinary job security in most occupations is that you give up some wages.

Since he does not need the job security anymore and got his ring he wants to move on - more power to him but principle is a two way street. I am saddened Cowher's tenure ended, but if the Rooneys and Cowher's interests were diverging then it had to be. IMHO both sides got to the point they were not as interested in being as flexible as possible, which indicates the relationship was better off being ended than continued.

tony hipchest
01-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Well, when his last contract was negotiated in 2003 (after a losing season and his teams had missed the playoffs 4 out of the past 6 seasons), it paid him as one of the top 5 coaches in the league which his record over the past 5 years at that time did not support.
Even Cowher candidly said he took his last extension after a losing season but did not extend after a Super Bowl win; sounds more like maximizing leverage than principle to me.

.good point. calling him a "minimum wage" HC was definitely extreme. he signed a fair contract at the time and the market just so happened to pass him by. (joey porter?)

regardless of his teams missing 4 of 6 playoffs, he was definitely a top 5 coach at the time and deserved to be retained in 03. he proved that quickly. then again you look at a staff with grimm, whiz, and lebeau and wonder if you cant do the same with out the $8 mil/year cheerleader. i definitely see both sides of this business decision, and cant fault any party really. thats my mind speaking. my heart says cowher shoulda been retained. cowhers heart said the break would do him well, so what had to be done was done. i can live with that.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2007, 07:10 PM
T.H. - you and I are in agreement here. I am disappointed it ended this way (or for that matter ended in any way) but cannot "blame" anyone. Nothing lasts forever.

It's just if Cowher is a great coach (which he is) and the Rooneys are great owners (which they are), I still am working through why they could not come up with a great deal.

I am not looking for gossip but hoping someone at the P-G, ESPN, or SI.com does some good reporting and writes a thorough piece explaining exactly why this all fell apart.

4n2t0
01-05-2007, 07:20 PM
I'd like to see Jim Mora Jr become the Steelers HC, although highly unlikely.

He's young, passionate, and a real players coach. Of course he has his pitfalls but then again who doesn't? If kept off the radio, Mora can once again become a good young coach for some NFL franchise. Despite Arthur Blank walking the sidelines and having Michael Vick as his QB he still left Atlanta with a winning record.

Just my opinion...

Stlrs4Life
01-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Ron Rivera to interview on Sunday in Pittsburgh.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Another obvious candidate the Steelers have on their list is Kirk Ferentz, the head coach at the University of Iowa since the 1999 season. He is a graduate of Upper St. Clair High School. Ferentz, 51, has turned down other opportunities to talk about NFL coaching vacancies. He coached six years in the league. There has been speculation that he would leave Iowa for one of only two jobs -- coaching the Steelers or coaching Penn State.

So what does everyone think of this Ferentz guy? I don't watch any college so don't know anything about him, but in the last few days I've heard his name thrown around.

http://postgazette.com/pg/07006/751777-66.stm

tony hipchest
01-06-2007, 12:59 AM
Another obvious candidate the Steelers have on their list is Kirk Ferentz, the head coach at the University of Iowa since the 1999 season. He is a graduate of Upper St. Clair High School. Ferentz, 51, has turned down other opportunities to talk about NFL coaching vacancies. He coached six years in the league. There has been speculation that he would leave Iowa for one of only two jobs -- coaching the Steelers or coaching Penn State.

So what does everyone think of this Ferentz guy? I don't watch any college so don't know anything about him, but in the last few days I've heard his name thrown around.

http://postgazette.com/pg/07006/751777-66.stmhe has been a hot commodity for several years out of the college ranks, just like saban, spurrier, and b. davis were before him.

thats one checkmark against him.

he will want to be paid like hes been a HC in the nfl for the past 10 years.

another check against him.

he is from the belichick/parcells coaching tree. parcells burnt the pats. belichick burnt the jets. saban burnt the dolphins.

thats 3 checks against him. i hope the steelers pass and dont even waste their time with an interview. id rather hire someone who has NO head coaching experience, like whiz, grimm, or even mike singletary.

Elvis
01-06-2007, 06:00 AM
:tt02: :coffee: Good morning to all...
my new candidate is Rex Ryan... he would be a very good fit for us and it would hinder a division foe as well...:wave:

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Although the lead keeps changing, Ferentz is among the top paid college coaches, so he will drive a hard bargain to give up what is basically a life time contract at Iowa.

It is rumored Feentz would leave Iowa for only two jobs - the Steelers and Penn State.

He has the coaching pedigree and the "Pittsburgh guy" credentials as an Upper St. Clair HS graduate. Big drawback is that he is a college coach and their track record in the pros is abysmal.

Since he is the only HC candidate I went to high school with his selection would be fine with me. I do not think it will happen and will be very surprised if it is not Whiz or Grimm.

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2007, 08:36 AM
The Atlanta J-C has this article this morning:

What's the best open NFL job?

1. PITTSBURGH

? Chairman: Daniel M. Rooney. Getting this job is tantamount to a lifetime appointment to the U.S. Supreme Court.

? Perfect fit: Russ Grimm. Gives them the tough guy image that Cowher embodied. Is a local product who fans and team could identify withembodied. Is a local product who fans and team could identify with....

2. MIAMI

? Perfect fit: Bill Cowher. Finally gets the top notch salary that Pittsburgh balked at giving him.

3. ATLANTA

? Owner: Arthur Blank. New wave of the "Helicopter Owner" who likes to hover around the team, press conferences and come down on the sidelines. Most younger coaches candidates don't consider the owner "hanging out" a big concern. The old-timers revile the practice.

? Perfect fit: Ken Whisenhunt. Would likely put in vertical passing game that Vick flourished in under Dan Reeves.

4. ARIZONA

? Perfect fit: Norm Chow. He was Leinart's offensive coordinator at Southern Cal.\\

5. OAKLAND

Perfect Fit: Bobby Petrino. He was Lombardi's choice last time. His passing attack might meet Davis' requirements

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/01/05/0106nfljobs.html

I agree with the speculation it will be Grimm in Pittsburgh and Whiz in ATL.

If Cowher takes the Miami job I would never root for him again - let's hope he is a man of his word and sits out until 2008.

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Nothing really new about Steelers coaching front runners from Peter King of SI on NBC halftime of Colts-Chiefs
1. Grimm
2. Whiz
No surprise since SI has been saying for weeks Grimm will be the pick

I think other teams are blowing smoke at King - Miami allegedly interested in Chan Gailey (which will make several Georga Tech alums I know thrilled if he leaves) and the two frontrunners in Atlanta are Singletary and Cal coach Jeff Tedford (contrary to all reports in local ATL media hyping Whiz).

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-06-2007, 11:47 PM
http://vikingsnow.blogspot.com/

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Steelers seek permission to speak to Tomlin
The Pittsburgh Steelers have asked the Vikings permission to speak to defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.
The Miami Dolphins sought and were granted permission to speak to Tomlin on Friday.
The Steelers were scheduled to interview Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera this weekend, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
The paper also reported that offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt will interview Tuesday and assistant head coach Russ Grimm will interview Monday.

jaysta
01-07-2007, 01:48 AM
If it's not Grimm or "The Whiz" then I'll be shocked. With Whiz most likely going to Atlanta the job is Grimm's if he wants it.

Cipratiug
01-07-2007, 07:49 AM
me and a couple friends of mine were talking about this the other day. There are a couple of things to look at. One of the main things is that when Chuck nool retired, every steeler fan in the world was going crazy. all thinking "there is no way anyone will be able to coach the Steelers like he did" Then cowher along and everyone loved him. The rooney's aren't gonna get some idiot to come in and coach their team. Everything will work out. Plus it shouldn't matter who the coach is, we're the Steelers. We're going to make what ever coach comes in look real good.

83-Steelers-43
01-07-2007, 08:00 AM
Cook: Whisenhunt the best choice for Steelers, Big Ben
Sunday, January 07, 2007

By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As the Steelers start the process this weekend of looking for just their third head coach in 38 years, the indisputable benefits of staying in-house and promoting offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt need to be cited.

1. The comfort level of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

2. The opportunity to keep Dick LeBeau on staff. He's a terrific defensive coordinator.

3. The continuing development of Roethlisberger.

4. The ability to stick with LeBeau's 3-4 defense. The team's roster is built for it.

5. The maturity of Roethlisberger.

Do you detect a trend here?

So much of the Steelers' future is tied to Roethlisberger. He played well as a rookie in 2004 and they went 15-1 and made it to the AFC championship game. He played better in '05 and they won the Super Bowl. He played poorly this season and they went 8-8 and are sitting out the playoffs.

Getting Big Ben right has to be the Steelers' No. 1 resolution of the New Year. Whisenhunt is the best man to do it. No coach has worked closer with Roethlisberger since he came into the NFL. Roethlisberger clearly is comfortable with Whisenhunt. Big Ben gives the impression he's not much for welcoming change. It makes no sense to make him start over with a new coach and learn a new system. It's hard to say he works hard enough as a student of the game to master a new system quickly.

But even if Roethlisberger were another Peyton Manning, he needs stability in his life and career, now more than ever. He's coming off that lousy season, although he did play better in the second half. He had a concussion in Atlanta in October. He had the emergency appendectomy just before the season. He had the horrific motorcycle accident in June.

Roethlisberger needs a calm off-season.

It's his best chance -- not to mention the Steelers' best chance -- of playing well again next season.

Keeping LeBeau to run the defense would be a huge added plus, although the Steelers' other in-house candidate for the head job -- assistant head coach Russ Grimm -- almost certainly would keep LeBeau, as well. Who knows? Maybe a coach from outside would want LeBeau, but it's not fair to make him keep him. The new man should be able to hire his own staff, Steelers president Art Rooney II said Friday. Presumably, that means being able to play his own defense as well, even if it's a 4-3 base.

Grimm is a wonderful football man, highly respected by the Steelers' players and coaches. He wouldn't be a bad choice to replace Bill Cowher by any means. But the best choice? No. Grimm's background is with the offensive line. He doesn't have Whisenhunt's experience with quarterbacks. He would have to hire a new offensive coordinator, who would want to put in at least some of his system, which gets back to that potentially dangerous change issue with Roethlisberger.

Why risk it?

Here's the best part about Whisenhunt:

He really wants the Steelers' job.

That doesn't mean Whisenhunt doesn't have other options. He's probably the hottest candidate in the league. He interviewed last week for the jobs in Atlanta and Arizona. The Miami Dolphins asked for permission to talk to him Friday. There has been speculation Atlanta is Whisenhunt's dream job because he's from Atlanta, but that's not true. The Steelers' job is his dream job. He won't wait for it forever, but he will wait until at least Tuesday when he goes through the interview process with Rooney II, his father, Dan, and Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations.

Why shouldn't Whisenhunt want the Steelers' job?

Do you know how important stability is to an NFL coach?

Do you realize how critical a patient, supportive owner is to a coach's chances for success?

Ask Chuck Noll, who worked 23 years for the Rooneys.

Ask Cowher, who lasted 15 years.

Obviously, it's important to Whisenhunt. He turned down a chance to be the Oakland Raiders' head coach after last season because that franchise has become laughable under owner Al Davis. It turned out to be a wise move; the man who took the job -- Art Shell -- was fired Thursday after a 2-14 season.

Beyond the stability factor, the Steelers' job is a great job because the team doesn't need overhauled. Yes, it badly underachieved this season. But there's a palpable feeling in the organization that the team will take another run at a division championship and maybe even the Super Bowl next season if Roethlisberger plays better and doesn't throw 23 interceptions.

"This is a good football team," Cowher said at his going away party Friday. "Someone is going to have an opportunity to coach a bunch of good football players."

No one can say for sure that Whisenhunt -- or Grimm or someone from outside, for that matter -- will be as successful as Cowher and Noll. No new coach is going to come with guarantees.

But I like Whisenhunt's chances.

Of greater significance, Big Ben probably does, too.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07007/751959-87.stm

Seth88101
01-07-2007, 03:54 PM
My vote is Wiz. If Wiz takes off for atlanta or miami, my # 2 is Mike Tomlin... He's young, and defintly a players coach. Only problem is that he is a tampa 2 defensive scheme coach. If he were to get the job, he'd have to adapt to the 3-4 here in pittsburgh.

Big D
01-07-2007, 03:58 PM
http://vikingsnow.blogspot.com/

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Steelers seek permission to speak to Tomlin
The Pittsburgh Steelers have asked the Vikings permission to speak to defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.
The Miami Dolphins sought and were granted permission to speak to Tomlin on Friday.
The Steelers were scheduled to interview Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera this weekend, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
The paper also reported that offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt will interview Tuesday and assistant head coach Russ Grimm will interview Monday.

Tomlin is a great young defensive mind. He is also the same age that bill cowher was when he came to the steelers. Tomlin also comes from the tony dungy coaching tree that has brought out lovie smith,Rod Marinelli, Monte Kiffin, Herm Edwards and now of course mike tomlin. I would say thats a pretty good list.

Big D
01-07-2007, 04:00 PM
I'd like to see Jim Mora Jr become the Steelers HC, although highly unlikely.

He's young, passionate, and a real players coach. Of course he has his pitfalls but then again who doesn't? If kept off the radio, Mora can once again become a good young coach for some NFL franchise. Despite Arthur Blank walking the sidelines and having Michael Vick as his QB he still left Atlanta with a winning record.

Just my opinion...

26-22 with all the talent he had in atlanta. The team collapsed down the stretch two straight years in a row. The radio interview wasnt the only thing he did to bring himself bad press in atlanta. He also answered his cellphone during a game last year. Mora is one retread I would hate to see come here.

83-Steelers-43
01-07-2007, 04:13 PM
26-22 with all the talent he had in atlanta. The team collapsed down the stretch two straight years in a row. The radio interview wasnt the only thing he did to bring himself bad press in atlanta. He also answered his cellphone during a game last year. Mora is one retread I would hate to see come here.

Add on the fact that he was thinking about coaching a college team while his team was struggling in the regular season.

I say "no thanks" to Mora Jr.

Big D
01-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Add on the fact that he was thinking about coaching a college team while his team was struggling in the regular season.

I say "no thanks" to Mora Jr.

I agree. Why would you want a guy that said he would quit on his team during the middle of a playoff run????? We need to hire someone classy similar to what bill cowher brought to this franchise

WWIIOwheelz
01-07-2007, 04:17 PM
We had this discussion more than a few times, and I've always leaned towards Russ Grimm. He just seems to fit the mold the best for the organization, IMHO, being from here. He impressed me in the Superbowl DVD with how he relates to the players, also.

One time he cracked me up when Ben threw an int..... his reaction? "DAMN IT BEN!!1" (Heh... that could've been me at home)

My wife went to high school with Russ, knew him well. She sent flowers to the Steelers facility to wish Russ luck, she just told me. (Oh jeez)

StillerPaul
01-07-2007, 04:30 PM
My vote is Wiz. If Wiz takes off for atlanta or miami, my # 2 is Mike Tomlin... He's young, and defintly a players coach. Only problem is that he is a tampa 2 defensive scheme coach. If hr were to get the job, he'd have to adapt to the 3-4 here in pittsburgh.

Why would a 4-3 guy have to adapt his system? If he wants it done his way, he'll adapt the roster to his system. Mangini had no trouble adapting the Jets to the 3-4 from the 4-3 this year. It can be done relative easy IMO.

StillerPaul
01-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Ron Rivera to interview on Sunday in Pittsburgh.

any word on how it went?

Seth88101
01-07-2007, 04:34 PM

Mora used his cell phone to see what the consequences would be if atlanta tied the game for playoff circumstances. It's not like he was making a date for the upcoming weekend.

Big D
01-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Why would a 4-3 guy have to adapt his system? If he wants it done his way, he'll adapt the roster to his system. Mangini had no trouble adapting the Jets to the 3-4 from the 4-3 this year. It can be done relative easy IMO.

I agree. and i think we already have the players to make it an easy conversion

Big D
01-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Mora used his cell phone to see what the consequences would be if atlanta tied the game for playoff circumstances. It's not like he was making a date for the upcoming weekend.

says who mora? the same guy that said he was kidding during his interview with hugh millen... I dont trust the guy...

Seth88101
01-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the Pittsburgh Steelers have requested permission to interview Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

Tomlin also is a candidate for the Dolphins job, and could be a candidate in Atlanta.

"Though hiring Tomlin would require the team to replace its trademark 3-4 defense with the Tampa 2, the Tampa 2 is a variation of the Cover 2, which Tony Dungy learned as a player and assistant coach in Pittsburgh.

And Tomlin fits two of the key factors that we believe are driving the decision. He's young, and he's African-American. The only knock is that he has no prior ties to Pittsburgh. But Peter King said during halftime of the Chiefs-Colts game that Dan Rooney isn't limiting the hire to a Pittsburgh guy."

-profootballtalk.com

Infamix
01-07-2007, 05:23 PM
We had this discussion more than a few times, and I've always leaned towards Russ Grimm. He just seems to fit the mold the best for the organization, IMHO, being from here. He impressed me in the Superbowl DVD with how he relates to the players, also.

One time he cracked me up when Ben threw an int..... his reaction? "DAMN IT BEN!!1" (Heh... that could've been me at home)

My wife went to high school with Russ, knew him well. She sent flowers to the Steelers facility to wish Russ luck, she just told me. (Oh jeez)

That's awesome that your wife knows him. I agree with you, he's a run-first coach and he fits our scheme well.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-07-2007, 05:43 PM
We had this discussion more than a few times, and I've always leaned towards Russ Grimm. He just seems to fit the mold the best for the organization, IMHO, being from here. He impressed me in the Superbowl DVD with how he relates to the players, also. (Oh jeez)

I like Russ :cheers:

WWIIOwheelz
01-07-2007, 06:07 PM
I REALLY need to pay more attention to stickies before posting a new thread. My apologies!

I'm thinking Grimm for many reasons, including similar reasons for why Whiz would/could be a good fit for Atlanta.

Santonio4
01-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Bobby P. from Louisville got the Falcons job

WWIIOwheelz
01-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Wow! I really thought that would be the logical spot for Whiz, moreso than here.

It gets interesting, for sure... regardless, Whiz and Grimm will both be head coaches next season.

Preacher
01-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Okay... a couple of things...

1. A new coach, a new scheme, if the D scheme changes, I will be absolutely happy with that.

2. I want a STRONG leader. No Mora, I want a person that will come in here and lay down the law...

3. About the run... HEY... If we get a head coach that moves away from the run... and we win 5 SB in 5 years.... 5 in 10 years... 5 in 15 years... I AM ALL FOR IT... people. The game evolves. If we can change and win more SB's... then good for the coach.

SteelCzar76
01-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Okay... a couple of things...

1. A new coach, a new scheme, if the D scheme changes, I will be absolutely happy with that.

2. I want a STRONG leader. No Mora, I want a person that will come in here and lay down the law...

3. About the run... HEY... If we get a head coach that moves away from the run... and we win 5 SB in 5 years.... 5 in 10 years... 5 in 15 years... I AM ALL FOR IT... people. The game evolves. If we can change and win more SB's... then good for the coach.

The thought of Tomlin as Head Coach seems a far better look for us than Whiz or Grimm IMO. However i don't like the thought of ousting Coach Lebeau and or "competely" changing our scheme. There is alot to be said for the value of continuity. (from a "system" standpoint)

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"