PDA

View Full Version : It's a race of 3

stlrtruck
01-16-2007, 01:24 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/73503/

Monday, January 15, 2007
PITTSBURGH ? Today, the Pittsburgh Steelers narrowed the list of candidates for their head coaching position to three, Russ Grimm, Ron Rivera and Mike Tomlin.

Mike Tomlin will come in on Tuesday for his second interview. Russ Grimm will have his second interview on Wednesday. Due to NFL rules, Ron Rivera will not be able to interview with the Steelers for a second time until the conclusion of the Chicago Bears' season.

Steelers President Art Rooney II issued the following statement regarding the team's head coaching search:
"We are pleased with the progress of our search to date. We now will move into the second interview phase and we are confident that each of the candidates on our short list will be excellent head coaches in the NFL. It is our task to determine which one is the best candidate for the Pittsburgh Steelers at this point in time. Our time frame remains as was stated at the beginning. We will conclude the search when we have found the best coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers."

Looking at the list, knowing that we've struggled on both sides of the ball, who would you take? Do you take the old O-line player and coach, or stick to the defensive side of the ball?

Me I'm leaning towards Rivera because of his defense in Chicago. But what would this mean for Dickie LeBeau? Is he done?

I was concerned the last time we had a coaching change (man I was barely out of high school then). I was scared we would bring in a re-tread. But, now - today, I rest easy that the Rooney's are looking for the next Super Bowl winning coach, maybe the next coach to rise a dynasty from the ashes of a hell bent season!

Haiku_Dirtt
01-16-2007, 01:51 PM
If we don't keep LeBeau then that tells me we are starting from scratch. And I'm emotionally underwhelmed with Grimm as head coach right now. Actually all three.

The Bears have a good defense. But 'da Bears gave up 142 points in their last six games (all NFC) against only 1 team with a winning record - Seattle at 9-7. Hardly stellar defense. Sure picking up the pieces for Baby Rex kills.

I'd like to see a poll for the other titanic hole the Steelers need to fill. Offensive coordinator.

pitt
01-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Grimm seems best for the job.

slashsteel
01-16-2007, 05:57 PM
I think the Bears had a unusual amount of injuries happen on D and then you have the fact they didn't have much to play for being locked into the bye. I look at the DC's track record, and in doing so I wouldn't mind seeing him get the nod. Rivera for head coach get the signs ready! :)

Big D
01-16-2007, 05:59 PM
I think the Bears had a unusual amount of injuries happen on D and then you have the fact they didn't have much to play for being locked into the bye. I look at the DC's track record, and in doing so I wouldn't mind seeing him get the nod. Rivera for head coach get the signs ready! :)

My problem with rivera is he played in a powder puff division and conference. And I would prefer someone younger then 45.

slashsteel
01-16-2007, 06:06 PM
D Grimm isn't young either. That powder puff team is one win away from the SB by the way. Out of curiousity who is your choice ? ?

fergusonat
01-16-2007, 06:06 PM
My vote goes for Grimm...seems safer to stay within the organization.

So there was "The Emperor"
Then the "Jaw"
Now...the "Grimm Reaper?"

:helmet:

stillers4me
01-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Oh man........HTG is gonna get you now......

I am IN-NO-CENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big D
01-16-2007, 06:08 PM
D Grimm isn't young either. That powder puff team is one win away from the SB by the way. Out of curiousity who is your choice ? ?

I'm not trying to stir the pot with you slash. But the nfc is an extreamly week conference. Mike Tomlin is my choice

slashsteel
01-16-2007, 06:25 PM
No just a discussion no worries. Tomlin's team was tied for last in defending the pass. And the Vikings didn't do much as a team. Seems to me he sold out against the run and the pass suffered in result. I see he is young. I understand you probably want a young coach who is going to be around for a while ? But IMO you have to pick the best candidate for the team. And Russ and Rivera are stronger candidates. In my eyes of course.

Big D
01-16-2007, 06:27 PM
No just a discussion no worries. Tomlin's team was tied for last in defending the pass. And the Vikings didn't do much as a team. Seems to me he sold out against the run and the pass suffered in result. I see he is young. I understand you probably want a young coach who is going to be around for a while ? But IMO you have to pick the best candidate for the team. And Russ and Rivera are stronger canidates. In my eyes of course.

I agree with you. However the vikings did have the 8th ranked defense in the nfl last year despite the poor pass defense. So far no coach under the tony dungy tree has failed. So i'll take my chances.

In Cowher We Trust
01-16-2007, 06:32 PM
i want rivara

slashsteel
01-16-2007, 06:32 PM
D what is curious to me is why one of the three isn't picked yet ? I am wondering if they are waiting for the Bears season to be over. Which would point to Rivera if this was the case right?

Big D
01-16-2007, 06:36 PM
D what is curious to me is why one of the three isn't picked yet ? I am wondering if they are waiting for the Bears season to be over. Which would point to Rivera if this was the case right?

could be. Or the fact they may have a secret canidate in mind. My brother lives in iowa and told me on sunday that there has been speculation that ferenz would leave iowa for the steelers once all of his recruits signed. You have to remeber slash that it took the steelers 3 and a half weeks to hire Cowher. Lucky for us the steelers dont have the experience in hiring coaches the way the cardinals,lions and raiders do.

HometownGal
01-16-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm going with Rivera as my first choice and Tomlin as my second. I would feel much more comfy with an OC or a DC filling the HC vacancy.

Godfather
01-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Not sure about Tomlin--I thought he'd only been a coordinator for one year.

45 isn't too old. If Rivera's around for as long as Cowher he'll only be 60 when he retires.

Hines86Ward
01-16-2007, 10:03 PM
I would like someone to explain to me why Russ Grimm is the right guy for the job & what he has accomplished other than "he's within the organization". I just don't see him as a good fit at all...

Preacher
01-17-2007, 12:21 AM
Me I'm leaning towards Rivera because of his defense in Chicago. But what would this mean for Dickie LeBeau? Is he done?

I want you to think about this for a second...

A combination of Tampa Two with what very well may become the BEST SAFETY TANDEM in the NFL... (Yeah, I know, WAY to early to say that, but man is it possible), and new possible blitz packages to mix with the old.

It may be great... then again it may fall all apart. But I just see the possibility.

stlrtruck
01-17-2007, 08:08 AM

They haven't made the choice because they can't interview Rivera a second time until after his team is out of the playoffs. So I think that is the delay!