PDA

View Full Version : NFL Cliches and other annoying things that need to stop now

sumo
01-16-2007, 05:02 PM
I am a huge fan of the NFL, but the cliches and the overall language and manner of speaking are really starting to wear on me - announcers, players, media, coaches, etc --

Cliche I'm sick of:

"He really needs to get in (or find his) a rhythm" when talking about QBs

Speaking in third person:

Mortensen's interview with Nick Saban after arriving in Alabama

Mort - So what kind of person is Nick Saban?

Saban - Instead of saying "I'm this or that" - he says "Nick Saban is a loyal and trustworthy person..."

Please post your most annoying cliches and or sayings in this thread - I collect them and I want to see if you guys have any I don't --

Preacher
01-16-2007, 05:14 PM
The ball just bounced (our/their) way today

boLT fan
01-16-2007, 05:17 PM
"He really needs to get in (or find his) a rhythm" when talking about QBs

That's not a cliche... a QB really does have to get a rythem to get going.

sumo
01-16-2007, 05:25 PM
How about - "he's one of those Qbs that won't win games for you..." closely related to "he's one of those Qbs you just call on to manage the game for you..." -

tony hipchest
01-16-2007, 05:43 PM
"no body remembers the superbowl loser" or "nobody remembers who finishes 2nd"

total bull crap. a billion people watch the thing. the media hype lasts for 2 weeks, then an additional week leading up to the probowl. the superbowl is discussed during the draft. everybody remembers who lost. who can forget the bills? johnny u's colts, or the titans? even the chargers, broncos, and patriots are remembered getting blown out. the vikings as the bills before there was jim kelly. even great teams like washington getting beat.

those cliches are just motivational tools for the players involved. only fairweather fans forget.

sumo
01-16-2007, 08:45 PM
"no body remembers the superbowl loser" or "nobody remembers who finishes 2nd"

total bull crap. a billion people watch the thing. the media hype lasts for 2 weeks, then an additional week leading up to the probowl. the superbowl is discussed during the draft. everybody remembers who lost. who can forget the bills? johnny u's colts, or the titans? even the chargers, broncos, and patriots are remembered getting blown out. the vikings as the bills before there was jim kelly. even great teams like washington getting beat.

those cliches are just motivational tools for the players involved. only fairweather fans forget.

Last year leading up to the Superbowl I heard every ESPN analyst say "The team that wins the Superbowl is always the the one that 'steps up' and 'makes plays'" -- so every Super Bowl loser stepped down and didn't make plays? - like all cliches - they usually don't make sense and become filler because the analysts are lazy and can't think of anything else to say...

touchdownward
01-16-2007, 09:26 PM
How about "They wanted it more".
Generally the best team is the one that wins, not the one that wanted to win the most.

MACH1
01-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Not sure why this one bothers me but it does.

Theres no I in team.

Just hear it to many times, kind of like talking about T.O.:sofunny: