PDA

View Full Version : London wins right to host first game outside N. America

MACH1
01-16-2007, 04:28 PM
LONDON -- London will hold the NFL's first regular-season game outside North America, the start of an international campaign to take American football to a global audience.

"There's great history of NFL football in London, and British fans have been great fans of football over the years," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday. "We're confident that this game is going be a great success in London and will be a great foundation to play more games there going forward."

The opponents for the 2007 contest have yet to be announced, but the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants are believed to be front-runners for the game. The Dolphins, but not the Giants, are one six NFL teams the league identified as potential home teams; they would give up a home game in Miami to host the contest in London.

"They are two of the teams that have expressed an interest and we'll narrow it down to which two teams will generate the most enthusiasm for the fans in London and the broader U.K.," Goodell said.

The most likely venue is the new 90,000-seat Wembley Stadium, which will open this spring after years of delays. The other candidate is 82,000-seat Twickenham, home of English rugby.

"We're looking at both venues in terms of their readiness," said Marc Waller, vice president of NFL International. "It's important that we understand terms of readiness of both stadiums and then a financial bidding process will also ensue."

The game will be held somewhere between late September to mid-October.

Goodell will announce the teams, venue and date before the Feb. 4 Super Bowl in Miami.

NFL owners voted in October to play up to two games outside the United States every season for the next five years. The London game will be the only overseas contest in 2007.

Germany, Canada and Mexico have been identified as the other top markets for NFL games outside the United States.

"We eliminated Toronto after agreeing with the Canadian Football League that we wouldn't go there because it was already hosting the Grey Cup," Goodell said. "Mexico was discussed, as well as Duesseldorf and Hamburg."

The NFL staged its first regular-season game outside the United States in 2005. The Arizona Cardinals played the San Francisco 49ers before a crowd of 103,467 in Mexico City.

London hosted several NFL American Bowl preseason games in the 1980s and 1990s. The city also had the London Monarchs in the World League of American Football -- now NFL Europe -- but the team folded.

Goodell said fans have reacted positively to the league's overseas plan, even though it means some teams will lose a scheduled home game.

"There are fans here that we think will like the idea and respond to it because it puts your city on a global stage and the city will be showed as a world class city itself," he said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

tony hipchest
01-16-2007, 05:12 PM
hmmm. last week they said it would be held in wimbley stadium and that miami would be the "home team", thus losing a home game. i guess its not set in stone yet.

Borski
01-17-2007, 11:19 AM
this wouldnt be fair to Miami, if London is going to host a regular season game then they need to get them selfs a team other wise make it a preseason game.

this wouldnt be a home game at all for Miami, London will probably sell both teams stuff, have both teams logos on the center. both teams lose practice time on the long trip.

this is just a bad idea

MACH1
01-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Also is it going to be a monday night game? If it is that makes for a real short week coming back to the states.

memphissteelergirl
01-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Will Her Majesty be in attendance? :chuckle:

MACH1
01-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Will Her Majesty be in attendance? :chuckle:

Who LITP :sofunny: :sofunny: :wink02:

memphissteelergirl
01-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Who LITP :sofunny: :sofunny: :wink02:

*msg smacks bcrabt's hand*

Naughty, naughty! :chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2007, 12:36 PM
I assume both teams will get their annual bye week in the week after the game. At least with this year's Mexico City game there was not a travel time issue.

I know the NFL does not want to send the dregs of the league and needs it to be a regular season game to reflect its importance, but IMHO you better be cutting your season ticket holders some serious slack on renewal prices if you are giving up a home game to a top shelf opponent.

Giving up a regular season home game is a serious competitive hit - further eveidence that the one true God which the NFL owners worship is the $.

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Also is it going to be a monday night game? If it is that makes for a real short week coming back to the states.

I doubt it - if it was a Sunday or Monday night game they would be kicking off after 1 a.m. in London :yawn:

Petesburgh66
01-18-2007, 12:49 AM
I hope the Steelers are picked when Toronto gets it's chance. The games would still be in the EST zone.

And players with criminal records (aka a portion of the Bungals current roster), those players will NOT be allowed to enter past the Canadian border if they are tipped off

pitt
01-18-2007, 11:48 AM
ALL NFL games should be played in the U.S.A.

floodcitygirl
01-18-2007, 12:49 PM
*msg smacks bcrabt's hand*

Naughty, naughty! :chuckle:Don't be too hard on him Memphis....I thought for sure the question about LITP was going to be YOUR next line! LOL!

*Disclaimer.....not that I thought that myself...and absolutely no offense intended. :smile:

meanjoecoop
01-18-2007, 01:11 PM

AMEN! ...and they can keep their crappy soccer games over there as well. :mad:

Do the players/teams get paid in Euros when they are over there? :flap:

MACH1
01-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Don't be too hard on him Memphis....I thought for sure the question about LITP was going to be YOUR next line! LOL!

*Disclaimer.....not that I thought that myself...and absolutely no offense intended. :smile:

Thank you FCG

Didnt mean to offend anyone, just a little kidding around.

floodcitygirl
01-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Thank you FCG

Didnt mean to offend anyone, just a little kidding around.Ok. I'll fess up...in all honesty, I should have said...."not that I thought it myself" :wink02: AND "absolutely no offense intended." :smile:

:sofunny: :sofunny:

sumo
01-18-2007, 02:05 PM
NFL Europe has ok attendance - but the NFL will not catch on there - at least not the way the league would expect - just like soccer will never catch on here the way the three major sports do...NFL in Europe will be just like EuroDisney - "it sounded like a good idea at the time..."

Preacher
01-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Depending on where the teams fly from, it really is only a couple hours longer then the flight from say... Boston to San Francisco.

83-Steelers-43
01-18-2007, 02:59 PM

I agree 110%.

Stlrs4Life
01-18-2007, 09:04 PM
I in no way want the Steelers to ever play outside of the US as the "Home " team. I refuse to give up a home game!

Atlanta Dan
01-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Dr. Z of SI.com on next season's game in London.

My take on the NFL playing a regular season game in London. Coaches will hate it because of the disruption of the schedule. Players who got college degrees will love it, the other 85 percent will view it as an annoyance.

Think Dr. Z laughs whenever he hears references to "student athletes" during broadcasts of the college semi-pro games?

meanjoecoop
01-19-2007, 01:43 PM
I in no way want the Steelers to ever play outside of the US as the "Home " team. I refuse to give up a home game!

Good point. That would be unacceptable.

Atlanta Dan
01-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Good point. That would be unacceptable.

What if you owned the team and the NFL agreed to double whatever you lost in home gate receipts & concessions for that home game?

meanjoecoop
01-19-2007, 03:15 PM
What if you owned the team and the NFL agreed to double whatever you lost in home gate receipts & concessions for that home game?

Sure if you are the Raiders, the Rams, any of the whole Browns/Ravens/Colts triad. Those teams have shown they have no alligence to a city. I guess a team like the Steelers would take that into consideration...like they did this past Super Bowl. I believe Cowher said it best. "We only wear Black when we are at home...in Pittsburgh". There is more to it than money.

There are plenty of cities in the U.S. that want games and / or new teams. They surely would pay more than a European city can. We have been getting onto ships to get the heck outta there since 1492. Why the NFL wants to go back now is beyond me.

Atlanta Dan
01-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Well few franchises have been more loyal to the NFL and have a greater sense of tradition than the Giants (around longer than the Steelers, agreed to share TV revenue equally with small markets teams in early 60s to jump start the rise of the NFL) and they are rumored to be one of the teams going to London.

I hapen to think American football is one sport that will not take off overseas, but I do not think only chump franchises like the Cardinals are going to be giving up future regular season home games to play overseas - there must be some major financial incentives to get a team to give up a home game.

83-Steelers-43
01-19-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why somebody who has financially supported this team through thick and thin should have to give up his/her tickets so somebody in England, Germany or France can watch a sport in which the good majority of the population doesn't even care about? Personally, I don't care if it's a preseason or regular season game. I enjoy attending Steeler preseason games just as much as regular season games.

If the people over there want to see a game that bad they can get on a plane. If I wanted to see some Italian soccer (football) team play, I wouldn't expect them to come here in order to see them live. I would go there.

For me, I don't like it all and shame on the NFL. I hope it fails miserably.

meanjoecoop
01-19-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why somebody who has financially supported this team through thick and thin should have to give up his/her tickets so somebody in England, Germany or France.

Exactly.

Borski
01-19-2007, 04:21 PM
....I hope it fails miserably.

I hope its succesful, I just wish they would use preseason games instead of real games.

I would like the rest of the world to see our sport first hand and let them get a taste of what they are missing and maby the NFL could expand into other countrys as soccer already has

83-Steelers-43
01-19-2007, 04:31 PM
I hope its succesful, I just wish they would use preseason games instead of real games.

I would like the rest of the world to see our sport first hand and let them get a taste of what they are missing and maby the NFL could expand into other countrys as soccer already has

If they want to add on a preseason game and send it over there, be my guest. But I buy season tickets year after year in order and in expectance to see ten games a year, not nine.

This may not be a big deal to somebody who happens to not have season tickets, but I imagine those of us who do are not very happy about giving up a game (preseason or regular season) on a ten game home schedule.

Eitherway, much like soccer in this country, I see it failing miserably.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Eitherway, much like soccer in this country, I see it failing miserably.

and come do they really give a rat's ass about football? NFL - money grubbing again.

83-Steelers-43
01-19-2007, 08:23 PM
NFL - money grubbing again.

Compared to MLB, I give the NFL credit. For the most part I respect and enjoy the way they are managed. MLB, look at that messed up league. At least there is a cap in the NFL. With MLB it goes beyond the "just have faith" in your team/management/ownership B.S. That's cute and don't worry, its shows that your a "true fan" (god forbid), but at some point reality has to sit in with these people.

But with this situation, I don't agree with the NFL. Hence, shame on them.

Livinginthe past
02-08-2007, 05:30 AM
Looks like the NFL is something of a hit over here!

LONDON -- The NFL's first regular-season game outside North America already looks like a big hit.

More than 500,000 tickets were requested by about 160,000 fans in the three days following Friday's official announcement, the NFL said Wednesday.

The ticket request process ends Feb. 18, two months before tickets go on sale for the Oct. 28 game between the Miami Dolphins and the New York Giants at Wembley Stadium.

Wembley is expecting to seat between 85,000-90,000 for the game.

"Nearly all these requests have come from UK based fans," said Alistair Kirkwood, the managing director of NFL UK. "These figures do not take into account the allocation of tickets for Dolphins and Giants fans from the United States, so we anticipate a very quick sellout when tickets go on sale in early March.""

On Sunday, more than 4,000 fans gathered in London to watch the Super Bowl at Super Bash, which is in its fourth year.